Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Lost & Found

Diane
  • Start Topic

Well, I watched. I agree with those who felt that Dean & Sam had equal amount of storytime but overall I'm feeling kinda meh about the episode. I didn't hate Jack but I'm not particularly excited about watching them parent him for a bulk of the season. I do wish that we didn't have to delve into the AU; I'm in no rush to bring Lucifer back into the story.

• Love 4

That fast food joint was a total takeoff of Captain Hook Fish and Chips, where Brad from Fast Times at Ridgemont High worked for a very brief time before quitting hilariously.

I was kind of meh the whole hour.  Spawn of Lucifer being a sort of Forrest Gump character was okay to a point.  The bitchy angel wasn't anything new, just another retread of the same asshole angel caricature the series has been throwing at the audience for years.  There wasn't really anything wrong with the episode, it follows the standard Supernatural formula.  I guess that's the thing, after twelve seasons the formula is getting old and it's getting time for this show to wrap it up.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Dobian said:

There wasn't really anything wrong with the episode, it follows the standard Supernatural formula.  I guess that's the thing, after twelve seasons the formula is getting old and it's getting time for this show to wrap it up.

This is exactly how I felt after watching.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Death was unbelievably stupid there, no arguments. I can at least see him get a sick thrill from it or something, to see if Dean was gonna do it. He should not have handed Dean the scythe and stood behind him, of course. As if Sam could only be killed by Death` scythe. 

That was strictly Plotonium to give the fans that insist on finale bro-moments their bro-moment. There was NO other reason for that. 

IMO, it would have been a much better finale if Death had just done the deal with Dean and left Sam wondering where Dean was as well as if the spell worked. 

And, YES, I'm still ticked about this unbreakable curse being broken by a sudden cure just to get the brothers back together. I thought it would be a better story for Dean to keep the MoC. JMO. 

• Love 5

I watched the episode again this afternoon, and the only issue I had was with the sheriff allowing her son to just sit there with Jack, considering she didn't know if he was dangerous, on drugs, or something else.  I doubt I'd have left my son there while I went off into a different room to check fingerprints.  But it's a small nitpick.  

I thought it was a pretty good introductory episode for the season.  Not action-packed, but they've set the stage for what's to come. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed this quite a bit, from the teen who actually had more than one dimension to his mother to Sam and Dean both trying to cope to the gorgeous scenery.

I do want to know why mom believed Dean, though. Jack's creepy fingerprint?

Jack looks like a cross between Cary Elwes and Val Kilmer.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mertensia said:

I do want to know why mom believed Dean, though. Jack's creepy fingerprint?

Well, she had seen Jack power up already too. Plus, she seemed like she was of an open-minded sort. Earlier in the episode when her deputy was calling the Spawn "weird", she said something to the effect of, everyone is weird in their own way. 

• Love 1

I’ve been away on vacation. Just watched the episode, which I thought was pretty good. This episode belonged to Jensen – who’s got to be one of the most underrated actors on TV today.  Jensen hardly needs a script - - we just know.  It’s kind of a shame someone of his calibre is stuck with the CW.

It’s the angels that annoy me the most.  I wish they’d forget angels for at least one season.

I’m supposed to believe they go to the trouble of popping down to earth, running about asking for possession permission, only to then engage in a stupid futile fistfight.  It all seems so impractical and time-consuming. Especially when they have their ‘angel radio’ which appears to influence and stress Jack way more than anything else.  Why not use that to get control and manipulate?

And ending the episode with boring ol’ Luci & SuperDuperHunter Mary having a glaring contest in the AU? Really?  Is that what TPTB think will get viewers all enthused to watch next week? Here’s something for the unpopular opinion thread – I hope they both die horribly... and soon!

But anyway, I wasn’t gnashing teeth or yelling WTF .... so that’s something.  Off to watch again.  Then empty suitcases and face a pile of laundry.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

It’s the angels that annoy me the most.  I wish they’d forget angels for at least one season.

I wish they would forget angels forever.  But, as long as Cas is on the playing board, they can't.  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I wish they would forget angels forever.

I wish they'd never been introduced or at least presented as mysterious and ethereal.  

Cas was ok in the beginning, but now I can't even be bothered with him.  The entity we know as 'Castiel' has been so manipulated by needs of plot and the whims of a variety of writers, I don't even know him.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Am I the only one who wondered why Dean didn’t try praying to Amara? She likes him and recently brought back Mary for him. 

And in this paricular instance I’m not criticising Dean. I’m more just curious why she was ruled out as a option to try. 

IMO, since the last Dean saw of them both they had blended together as one entity, so praying to Chuck should have been a prayer to Amara as well.

• Love 3

He was also Mickey Kostmayer on The Equalizer. 

I loved Mickey Kostmayer.  (And the fact that Robert McCall could find a parking spot on the streets of Manhatten--and surrounding boroughs--any time he wanted one!)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lemuria said:

I loved Mickey Kostmayer.  (And the fact that Robert McCall could find a parking spot on the streets of Manhatten--and surrounding boroughs--any time he wanted one!)

McCall is just that awesome. 

I was away on vacation and just got a chance to watch the premiere. I really liked the episode, I thought it handled Sam, Dean and their feelings on the events of the finale really well. 

Dean's prayer to Chuck/God was painfully beautiful. Jensen truley is a wonderful actor and I hope he continues to find success post SPN (whenever it ends).

I like that they initially paired Jack with Sam, it makes sense given his history with Lucifer. I'm hoping for more Dean/Jack interaction in the future now that we know Jack chose Castiel as his 'father'

I also really liked Jack, they picked a good actor (I liked his brand of crazy on Arrow). 

• Love 4

How old is Jack supposed to appear to be? Dean and/or Sam keep referring to him as Kid and I keep seeing Teenager on this thread. But he looks to be in his 20s to me.

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I like that they initially paired Jack with Sam, it makes sense given his history with Lucifer. I'm hoping for more Dean/Jack interaction in the future now that we know Jack chose Castiel as his 'father'

Oh shit, now I'm anticipating Jack asking Dean, "You were friends with my father? What was he like?" And not with Sam around to save him from having to answer. 

• Love 2
Just now, takalotti said:

How old is Jack supposed to appear to be? Dean and/or Sam keep referring to him as Kid and I keep seeing Teenager on this thread. But he looks to be in his 20s to me.

I don’t think the show has specified an actual age since he is only 1 day old in canon. The actor who portrays him is 27 though so I would imagine he is meant to be somewhere in the early to mid twenties :)

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, takalotti said:

I got the impression the Sheriff was thinking him to be a minor based on the questions about his parents. I'm guessing the show wants us just to see him as a kid in an adult body, though.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

The naive "I`m new to this Earth" part, played for comedy notwithstanding. But that isn`t really the core of the character. 

I hope not or it'll just be Castiel Part Deux.  I don't want another gullible naive character learning the ways of the world. It's been done to death on TV.

I wonder why they cast an actor that looks so much like Misha?  Could Cas have imprinted on the fetus as he was caretaker to the mother?  Nothing about the pregnancy or birth was normal so it could happen, couldn't it?  Baby daddy and Castiel are both inside meat suits.

I thought the Jack actor was pretty good and delivered chemistry.  He's got some powerful powers... let's hope TPTB don't forget this several episodes down the line and resort to yet more fist fights.

It could all become quite interesting.  I hope it doesn't go the way of the annoying Connor (Angel) although in that instance the child was reared to hate his father.  I also hope not too much time is spent on Luci looking for Jack and S&D protecting him.  That could get dull in a New York minute.

Anyway, watched again.  Jensen is the standout for sure in that episode.  And they wrote Dean in character....  yep - Dean punches walls.

I just wish Mary had died and Crowley and Rowena had lived.

• Love 3

I wonder why they cast an actor that looks so much like Misha?

CW casting is often "in-house" and the actor had a recurring role on Arrow previously where he played kind of a dangerous and unhinged character. I could see either a casting director having seen that or maybe the actor being recommended to them. I mean, I thought he did good work on Arrow so it`s not like Lady Deadeyes being implanted from Vampire Diaries where I distinctly thought she was terrible.   

• Love 1

I don't know if anyone remembers the TV show Starman.  It was based on a movie, but I'm specifically thinking of the show with Robert Hays.  Jack is reminding me of him.  Just the whole, I don't understand anything earthly stuff.  And the fact that he was naked in his first scene.

• Love 2

I don't know if anyone remembers the TV show Starman.  It was based on a movie, but I'm specifically thinking of the show with Robert Hays.  Jack is reminding me of him.  Just the whole, I don't understand anything earthly stuff.  And the fact that he was naked in his first scene.

Funny you bring that up because now that I remember the actor playing his teenage son reminds of Jack now. I think it`s a well-used trope to have a character like that appear naked at first (or even for a supernatural return, Barry did so in the Flash premiere). And the "don`t understand your earthly customs" has been rather a beloved staple across Star Trek shows to various degrees. 

The fact that they portrayed Jack as kind of naive here and not intrinsically using his powers for evil already answers the question of his goodness IMO. It`s his extreme powers that are the problem because if he gets sad or mad or scared enough, he will most definitely lose it. Just like with the antichrist kid.  

I did kinda love Dean`s line of "at least back at the bunker the only people he can hurt is us". Because yeah, it`s pragmatic and true even if he is wrong about Jack. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 3

Since Kelly 'told' him he couldn't be a child because it was too dangerous, then either '18' or '21' if that is what Kelly had in her mind.  Final brain development is at 25 so it could be that if his body is simply 'all done growing'.  

I would go with 18.  I think the Sherrif treated him like a child based on perceived mental capacity.  

• Love 1

I rewatched it this morning and found it interesting how they re-staged the scene from S4 when Cass first takes over Jimmy and tells Claire he's not her father with Jack and Sam at the beginning. 

On 10/12/2017 at 8:03 PM, Jeddah said:

When did they have time to put Cas on the table and cover him with a sheet before chasing Jack? Or did the angels do that?

I decided Dean did it just before he went looking for Sam at the beginning. Doesn't seem like there was enough time, but... 

On 10/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, RulerofallIsurvey said:

I was ridiculously excited for this show to start tonight.  This is the first time I've ever watched Live.  I watched last season semi-live: that is, the after on the CW app.  And to be honest, this is the first time I've watched any network show Live in at least a couple years (I really don't remember how long it's been).  I usually stream everything, so wait until the day after or get it beforehand OnDemand.  And I gotta tell you: it was Fun!  Fun waiting for it to start: I was like a kid again. (Only this time I had beer to drink instead of soda.  :) )  And Fun watching the show itself.  

So, gonna keep up the beer tradition or go back to soda next week? ;)

Guys, griping about how other posters and how we handle the threads is completely off-topic to this thread. If you have an issue with a post and feel the poster is not abiding by the rules, then report it. People are allowed to voice their opinions, both good and bad. Not every single opinion that’s not sunshine and roses needs to go into the Bitterness or Bitch vs Jerk threads. 

• Love 5

Oh yeah, so does this mean they have another sheriff ally, now? It makes me smile considering all their previous trouble with the law. 

3 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Beer definitely!  Or maybe wine, depending on the mood.  If it's an especially painful ep, I break out the bourbon!  :)

These are all sound choices! You might want to add some whisky in there too...just to get in the right spirit. ;)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

O/T but I can never see or hear this word and not go immediately to Hocus Pocus.

I have to admit I couldn't get through Hocus Pocus.  My mind went to Star Trek--one of my favorite episodes.   “After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.”

• Love 4

My daughter thought it would be funny if I played a drinking game every time they did the glowy ("He's got the laser eyes" RIP: Ron Reznick ; ) eye effect that drives me nuts. She called a halt at drink 4 less than half way through the previously's. I hate the new title card.

Why did the sheriff have on a bullet proof vest throughout the entire episode? Is answering a phone or hanging out at the office so dangerous?

It might have been due to the aborted drinking game but every time Sam looked sincere/worried and started talking I tuned out and did hand puppets instead.

Mary's hair, makeup and clothing remains perfect for the most part leading me to believe she's already made a deal with the devil.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, shang yiet said:

The rest is a bit meh for me. And the Winchesters are not that good at hand to hand combat, are they? After all these years, I expect them to reach Buffy level in fighting and not be bashed up till they are on the floor.

Taking this to the Supernatural Smackdown thread. 

Edited by Wayward Son
7 hours ago, trxr4kids said:

Why did the sheriff have on a bullet proof vest throughout the entire episode? Is answering a phone or hanging out at the office so dangerous?

Many police departments require their officers to wear bullet proof vests throughout their shifts these days.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

Many police departments require their officers to wear bullet proof vests throughout their shifts these days.

And realistically? Sheriff in a huge rural area with undoubtedly tons of meth houses, some paranoid preppers types, and who knows what else? She'd be stupid not to.

• Love 3

I don’t think that’s common. Maybe when they’re out on patrol, but I don't think cops sit at their desks wearing bulletproof vests. If the town was dangerous enough to warrant that, why was she the only employee in the police station? Even Mayberry had two cops on duty.

4 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I don’t think that’s common. Maybe when they’re out on patrol, but I don't think cops sit at their desks wearing bulletproof vests. If the town was dangerous enough to warrant that, why was she the only employee in the police station? Even Mayberry had two cops on duty.

that drove me crazy. like really she's the Only person in that station. Did she send all the others home. was it a one stop sign town? that was so weird.

7 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Our police officers where I live do.  Especially if they go in and out.  It is required. 

• Love 2

What I didn't get  is why the angels didn't try to smite them. Like all Super Bitch Angel had to do was reach up and smite Dean when he had the angel blade to her throatI know only archangels can snap their fingers to smite but seraphims can smite by touching the foreheads or even just do  the forehead boop to take them out. I wonder if they can't smite anymore.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Diane said:

Our police officers where I live do.  Especially if they go in and out.  It is required. 

I know some places have that policy, but I don’t think the majority do.  It doesn’t seem widespread enough that a small town like the one in this episode would have a requirement like that, especially when doing admin stuff at a desk.

22 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

that drove me crazy. like really she's the Only person in that station. Did she send all the others home. was it a one stop sign town? that was so weird.

It was weird. Was the station totally empty when she went to pick up Jack?

Just now, Jeddah said:

I know some places have that policy, but I don’t think the majority do.  It doesn’t seem widespread enough that a small town like the one in this episode would have a requirement like that, especially when doing admin stuff at a desk.

I do think it is wide spread, I know that Dallas officers do, Tulsa where I am do, my aunt and uncle are police officers in two different towns in CA and they are required to. It is very common now. 

8 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Right? Like surely there was a deputy, a secretary, someone around. Maybe only one mans the station at a time. .I'm not sure I agree 100% with your police work there, Sheriff Barker'.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I think it's more prevalent now but I also don't think it's required for all police departments either. I think some wear them under their shirts so it may seem like they don't wear them?

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What I didn't get  is why the angels didn't try to smite them. Like all Super Bitch Angel had to do was reach up and smite Dean when he had the angel blade to her throatI know only archangels can snap their fingers to smite but seraphims can smite by touching the foreheads or even just do  the forehead boop to take them out. I wonder if they can't smite anymore.

The writers have long since forgot what the angels once were. They once could smite roomful of humans and demons in a second.  Or like last season when Cas didn’t appear to imprisoned Dean in his dreams. Now they are just perpetual hate filled sourpusses with swords and mediocre fighting skills. 

• Love 1

There was another officer there when she first got back with Jack, wasn't there?  She told him something about how nobody was weird (not an exact quote, I know) and sent him off on patrol.  I do agree that while in big cities wearing the bullet-proof vests might be normal, it did look strange in what appeared to be a pretty low-key environment.

What kind of got me was Sam and Dean, both big guys who have taken on multiple armed people in the past, being locked up and/or handcuffed by one single woman.

• Love 1