Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: Ain't That a Kick in the Head

Bort
  • Start Topic

Amelia confronts a difficult situation, while Meredith deals with the fallout from her conversation with Nathan. Maggie finds herself at an awkward family dinner, Jackson receives big news and Richard and Bailey search for the stars of tomorrow.

So, I am exhausted right now and have a headache. But I want to say this:

Damn! I never thought I'd say I love Catherine Avery but damn!

"My sister was always the one to talk some sense into me." GIRL STOP! <3

• Love 23
3 minutes ago, kinnej5 said:

So, I am exhausted right now and have a headache. But I want to say this:

Damn! I never thought I'd say I love Catherine Avery but damn!

"My sister was always the one to talk some sense into me." GIRL STOP! <3

I loved how Maggie's face broke. 

• Love 13

Did I hear correctly that Jackson inherited 1/4 of a million? That's not really that much. $250,000 won't even buy a small condo where I live. It's a nice chunk of money, don't get me wrong, but it's hardly a huge sum either. 

Really enjoyed this episode and the season. They have brought the fun back

• Love 2
Just now, Pepper the Cat said:

Did I hear correctly that Jackson inherited 1/4 of a million? That's not really that much. $250,000 won't even buy a small condo where I live.

Quarter of a BILLION. 

• Love 8

Three for three.  This was also a very good episode.

I liked Amelia partitioning out responsibilities in the beginning.

I loved how everybody was joking on what they could blame on a tumor.  "Minnick!"  ha!

Maggie gulping down wine at the awkward family dinner.  But please, oh, please, oh, please let them just be trolling us with a Jackson and maggie hookup.  I liked their awkward family dinner.

Greg Germann is such a nice addition to the cast, I hope he recurs.  Love how he and Catherine flirt-annoy Richard.

Also Nathan/Meredith giving the ep the emotional center.  Nice development.

• Love 12
Just now, DearEvette said:

But please, oh, please, oh, please let them just be trolling us with a Jackson and maggie hookup.

I don't think they are trolling us.

I sensed an April-Arizona anvil. I hope I am so wrong!

Last season, it would have taken all season for Amelia's borking to be resolved (we would have had weeks and weeks of her thinking Derek was alive), Megan's fever to resolve, and Farouk to get here. Amazing it all happened not in one episode, but within minutes of one episode!

• Love 7
1 minute ago, jschoolgirl said:

sensed an April-Arizona anvil. I hope I am so wrong!

I may not have said "this has been four years in the making."

1 minute ago, jschoolgirl said:

Last season, it would have taken all season for Amelia's borking to be resolved (we would have had weeks and weeks of her thinking Derek was alive), Megan's fever to resolve, and Farouk to get here. Amazing it all happened not in one episode, but within minutes of one episode!

Seriously, how anti-climatic! Ugh. This season is already losing the steam it had in the first three episodes.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, kinnej5 said:

Evettte, Catherine shut that down. I think she saw the squeamish chemistry and shut that down as soon as possible. I could seriously write love letters to Catherine Avery right now. Aha.

I don't think it's the end for Jackson and Maggie. They finally look attracted to each other for real (albeit still awkwardly)

April and Arizona would be interesting. That was a big anvil there. April would probably struggle with new feelings between them because of her religious beliefs. And going from friendship to a romantic relationship again. IIRC the showrunner spoke about her going on a "complicated journey" this season, so I could definitely see it happening. .

Edited by flickers

Whether or not Maggie and Jackson get together-it is not incest. They are not related. Their parents are married. That's it. Does anyone remember the original One Day at a Time? Barbara and Mark got married then Ann and Sam got married, making Barbara and Mark step siblings. And it was OK, because they're not related!!

• Love 21

Callie and Penny must have broken up already if Sofia wants to come home - though I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Are they setting up something between Amelia and DeLuca?

Thanks to the dialogue of the awkward conversation at Webber and Catherine's, we know that Maggie knows quite well that her biological father is married to Jackson's mom. So someone please explain to me why she wants to date him!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Callie and Penny must have broken up already if Sofia wants to come home - though I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Eh-she could just want to come to the only home she knows. And this could set up Sara Ramirez coming back for the 300th episode. Not a spoiler-just free thinking here.

• Love 4

I thought it was just me seeing the April/Arizona. I don't know how I feel about it, I mean I could buy it as a storyline, and it would be interesting if they don't send April into shrill territory. But I also like April and Arizona as friends. More friendship scenes in general would be good. I really liked the one of a lot of the people eating and joking about the tumor. I actually liked Riggs this episode, first time ever, so... good job, I guess?

The pacing was good, and except for Amelia going home with Owen, I loved everything. (Ah, I briefly managed to forget about Jackson and Maggie) Okay, almost everything. I really enjoyed it.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Whether or not Maggie and Jackson get together-it is not incest. They are not related. Their parents are married. That's it. Does anyone remember the original One Day at a Time? Barbara and Mark got married then Ann and Sam got married, making Barbara and Mark step siblings. And it was OK, because they're not related!!

No, they're not related but Catherine feels like they are, and Richard (and others) might, too.  

• Love 1

I'm so loving the more mature, fast-paced fun of this season versus the slow, dark, broody series that Grey's turned into last year. The writing is really great, managing to organically give good moments to nearly every character each episode. They're slowly building lots of side plots (Ben the firefighter, Jo and her husband, new interns, Jackson and the foundation, Arizona / DeLuca's sister, etc.) while the main plot gets focus, rather than just abandoning characters for several episodes at a time. AND we're getting unique character combos, which is great - like the small moment of comedy between Alex and Jackson, or the nice new mentor / student bond with Amelia and DeLuca. 

Meredith is a total badass. I'm so glad to see her written as a mature, competent, complex woman and surgeon. I also love how much history they're referencing this year, which is perhaps the shows biggest strength. I'm so glad they're utilizing the rich history of all the characters. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Nathan definitely won the good guy award tonight.

I said last week that he should have gone to Iraq to take care of Farouk while Megan recovers, but he did me one better and brought Farouk to Megan. I'm really liking Meredith in this storyline as well - she's been completely selfless since the moment Riggs told her that Megan was alive.

How old is Sophia that she gets to decide on her own to move back to Seattle? But if more Sophia means less DeLuca's sister, I'm not complaining.

$250M is definitely a ton of money, but wasn't Jackson already a trust fund baby? Him inheriting a crapload of money is less impactful than if he hadn't already been rich. 

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 8

Was anything said about Ma Shepard and the Shepardettes? Were they called? Did they call?

Yeah,  Mer suggested they call but Amelia said since they didn't come to her wedding, they didn't get to come to her tumor.  However if anything happened to her Meredith was supposed to call to let her know she died.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Eh-she could just want to come to the only home she knows. And this could set up Sara Ramirez coming back for the 300th episode. Not a spoiler-just free thinking here.

Even better, Christina could come for a visit for Ep. 300.  How fantastic would that be, a Sandra Oh cameo? 

I'd love to see her talk Owen out of pushing Amelia too hard....break him loose to pursue other women.  I'm so over tortured Owen. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I said last week that he should have gone to Iraq to take care of Farouk while Megan recovers, but he did me one better and brought Farouk to Megan. I'm really liking Meredith in this storyline as well - she's being completely selfless since the moment Riggs told her that Megan was alive.

How old is Sophia that she gets to decide on her own to move back to Seattle? But if more Sophia means less DeLuca's sister, I'm not complaining.

$250M is definitely a ton of money, but wasn't Jackson already a trust fund baby? Him inheriting a crapload of money is less impactful than if he hadn't already been rich. 

Sophia is a tad bit younger than Zoe, so since they've aged Zoe up to about 8, I suppose that's how old Sophia is, too.  But she'll probably come back as 15.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

How old is Sophia that she gets to decide on her own to move back to Seattle? But if more Sophia means less DeLuca's sister, I'm not complaining

All Arizona said was that she WANTS to come home. No one said she decided that she was coming home on her own.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

All Arizona said was that she WANTS to come home. No one said she decided that she was coming home on her own.

Didn't they have some sort of agreement where they alternated years?  At this point, Sofia has been in NYC for a few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to come back, especially if they told her she would be back soon. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, gator12 said:

Maggie and Jackson are related by marriage and in some countries that consider incest. 

Incest laws is not only applied to people with blood relation. 

But that law doesn't apply to the country where Grey's Anatomy is set.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, gator12 said:

In some states it does. 

Really?  Which ones?  There is no consanguinity between Maggie and Jackson.  Richard isn't even on Maggie's birth certificate so there isn't even a legal parental relationship there.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 11

Eh, I wasn’t ever squicked out by the step sibling relationship since they didn’t grow up together or anything, I’m more in the same boat as other posters where their lack of chemistry and forced interactions make me roll my eyes and want to fast forward. Her awkward schtick is cliched, and not nearly as endearing as the writers (and Jackson for some reason?) seem to think. I also still think Jackson and April have tons of chemistry and would rather they get together  

Ignoring them though, nice episode! Really glad I stayed with the show through all of last season’s nonsense. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I agree, it’s not incest.  Although, I do see why it will probably weird people out, both on the show and IRL. My father-in-law remarried a woman with adult kids, and my husband and I consider her kids to be family. Don’t think of them like we do our own siblings, but yeah, they’re definitely family. So I get the ick factor. But there are so many better reasons to hate this couple than their pseudo-sibling status.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, flickers said:

April and Arizona would be interesting. That was a big anvil there. April would probably struggle with new feelings between them because of her religious beliefs. And going from friendship to a romantic relationship again. IIRC the showrunner spoke about her going on a "complicated journey" this season, so I could definitely see it happening.

Is it common that a straight woman would go this route?  I’ve never experienced any of this in real life but seems pretty normal on this show.  

And a Trump dig, when Amelia said she wish she didn’t know who the president is....Enough is enough.  Regardless who you support....Hollywood needs to move on.  It’s unoriginal and people are sick of it.  

• Love 13

I don't think there's anything between April and Arizona or DeLuca and Amelia... just like there was nothing to Alex / Mer. I think the writers are just making a better effort to explore friendships again, which Vernoff said she wanted to do. It's nice to see characters actually talk to eachother again. 

• Love 6

Maggie and Jackson are kinda cute and tolerable together...shoot me...I think I'm just kinda sick of the dark/sad relationship drama and appreciate that Jackson/Maggie drama will be relatively lighthearted.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 6

I could care less that they are step siblings since they didn't grow up together and Richard and Maggie only a little bit have a father/daughter relationship anyway... But I don't love them together, in part because I still ship Jackson and April and partly because I just don't buy them as a couple

That said?  "You could buy an island.  You could buy two islands and make them fight!" my favorite line of the whole night.   

• Love 12