Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Tomboy Joy

• Start Topic

This one sounds like the worst episode to date.

Apparently Jessa was so 'gifted' at her wedding that she has closets filled with things she hasn't used yet nor will she ever use.

They really need to come up with a new format or call it quits.  What we want to really see are the truthful facts about their beliefs.

• Love 5

Hahahah non-cute twin giving 'Si shit for wanting to get a fire extinguisher for that grill, which I actually thought was pretty cool.  Super 'normal' interaction between brothers.  Good job, boys.  ;)

Who's not your best friend anymore, Jill? Do tell.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Joy-“ other people’s graduations are boring, cause they just walk across the stage. We had a party”.  Guess what Joy- lots of people have graduation parties. Your family didn’t invent them. Sure wish this family would learn about the world before they condemn it. 

Spoiler for the wedding, but not really since we have seen it once before.

Austin declared that he and Joy are a little different than most people because they wanted to see each before the ceremony on their wedding day.

• Love 2

How is that different from any other married Duggar? I can't recall Benessa or JinJer, but all the other couples (Smuganna included) saw each other before the ceremony. Gah, Jill made a HUGE deal about the "first look." 

Again, not so different than many "regular" couples out there in the skary reel wurld!!!!111

• Love 9

UGH this is so boring. I turned it off. Last week was better. Can we see more Benessa power struggle over used toys? Anything!

I love how Jill and Jana spoke about Joy like she was their daughter. It was sad. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Triple P said:

Austin declared that he and Joy are a little different than most people because they wanted to see each before the ceremony on their wedding day.

Lmfaooo! I just happened to read an article the other day saying more and more couples are ditching that tradition to spend the day together pre-ceremony. Sorry, Austin, you are neither speshul nor a trendsetter.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Way to harsh the mellow, Derick, with your pontificating about good marriages. Yeah, I don't remember hearing Austin asking you for a sermon while at the obstacle course.

Dude could harsh the mellow of the happiest kid on earth.  He's a fun sucker. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 23

Truth be told, I actually enjoy hate watching this show. 

BUT. This season of Joy is so fucking boring.  There is NOTHING to snark about. That's pretty damn bad when the Duggars are not even snarkalicious. 

I also have found out that I dislike Joy now too. She rubs me the wrong way. Plus, she is extra Duggar Dumb. 

• Love 19

So, the gifts that were old, new and "borrowed" were things everyone already had...but Jinger and Jeremy had to go out and actually spend money to buy blue stuff for Joy and Austin?  I think my impression of Jinger and Jeremy just went up a teeny tiny bit.

• Love 12

Watched this episode today...awful. I thought Michelle was advertised as being " very busy" being the scheduler and DELEGATER to her family...Why then, was JOY delegating the jurisdictions instead of her spaced out looking mother who was standing next to her looking quite perplexed at the task? Michelle gave even that responsibility away.

This show was another waste, like the rerun of Joy's wedding will be....and still, no mention of Sam's delivery or Jill's situation since delivering him.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, floridamom said:

This one sounds like the worst episode to date.

Apparently Jessa was so 'gifted' at her wedding that she has closets filled with things she hasn't used yet nor will she ever use.

They really need to come up with a new format or call it quits.  What we want to really see are the truthful facts about their beliefs.

How many closets does the mold house have?

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Watched this episode today...awful. I thought Michelle was advertised as being " very busy" being the scheduler and DELEGATER to her family...Why then, was JOY delegating the jurisdictions instead of her spaced out looking mother who was standing next to her looking quite perplexed at the task? Michelle gave even that responsibility away.

This show was another waste, like the rerun of Joy's wedding will be....and still, no mention of Sam's delivery or Jill's situation since delivering him.

I noticed Ma Kettle's eyes bugging out too.  WTF does she do all damn day?  What a lazy ass useless "mother."

• Love 6

Don't forget, in show time, Jill and Derelict are still in Danger America. I suspect a couple of segments will be wasted on their homecoming (presumably with their tails betweens their legs. although that won't be mentioned) next week. 

• Love 3

Looks like that this is the most boring episode ever shown. 

No snarky conversation or interesting opinions.  Just a bunch of people saying they hated the episode and how it is coma inducing. 

Joy is killing my hate watch Monday nights.  Bitch. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

I think the scheduling Michelle did/does was scheduling the family for their very important media and preaching opportunities.  I don't think the phone rings much anymore, although they do get to occasionally lecture on the right way to do marriage.

• Love 3

I thought the “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue” was for items worn by the bride at the wedding for good luck. The Duggar’s version of borrowed makes no sense.

That rusty old little grill is probably the perfect gift for someone who is going to decorate their house Fixer Upper style, but they probably should have left it out in the rain to become even rustier. 

• Love 6

Random observations:

I always forget until I see it again how much I like JD’s demeanor when he’s teaching Joy to fly. I think he would actually make a great teacher. There’s definitely something about Jana and JD that makes me think they’d find success in the real world.

When Jessa entered the house for the whole something borrowed gift thing, getting to interact with Spurge and especially Henry is the happiest I’ve ever seen Jenni.

I do think that was a dress over capri skinny jeans on Jinger.

• Love 5

I liked it when Bin was snarking about how Jim-Bob goes through the same routine with each of the sons-in-law.  Jessa looked annoyed, I thought.  

Also, I liked the scenes with Josiah, Jed and Jer finding their "something old" gift for Joy.  

Austin said something about how he couldn't wait to start a family, and I said aloud, "Truer words were never spoken on this show."  But then Jana said something about how sad it was each time a sister left, and I decided it was a tie.  

I hadn't watched last season, and so all the courtship scenes were new to me.  But they still weren't interesting.  Poor Joy and Austin just aren't very dynamic.

2 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

I always forget until I see it again how much I like JD’s demeanor when he’s teaching Joy to fly. I think he would actually make a great teacher. There’s definitely something about Jana and JD that makes me think they’d find success in the real world.

I agree!  Jana seems competent - I liked her hard hat lettering, and she seems to get things done.  JD does seem as though he would be a good teacher.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

I thought the “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue” was for items worn by the bride at the wedding for good luck. The Duggar’s version of borrowed makes no sense.

That rusty old little grill is probably the perfect gift for someone who is going to decorate their house Fixer Upper style, but they probably should have left it out in the rain to become even rustier. 

It's a campstove! I was hoping the cameraman was going to keep them from blowing up. Pumping up the tank w/it detached, putting the tank INside. Oy. I thought the old saw was pretty cool. 

Could Jessa be any cheaper or lazier? Digging out shit she doesn't want from the cabinet and writing out a few recipe cards. Then putting the huge stack of blanks in the box for Joy to fill in later. Also, Jessa, why are you so proud of not cooking? Isn't providing good nutrition for your children pretty basic parenting? She has no excuse. It's not like she's getting home late after a full day at the office. 

• Love 22
6 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

It's a campstove! I was hoping the cameraman was going to keep them from blowing up. Pumping up the tank w/it detached, putting the tank INside. Oy. I thought the old saw was pretty cool. 

Could Jessa be any cheaper or lazier? Digging out shit she doesn't want from the cabinet and writing out a few recipe cards. Then putting the huge stack of blanks in the box for Joy to fill in later. Also, Jessa, why are you so proud of not cooking? Isn't providing good nutrition for your children pretty basic parenting? She has no excuse. It's not like she's getting home late after a full day at the office. 

“Here’s a bunch of stuff I never used because I never cook! And a bunch of family recipes, ignore what I just said about never cooking!”

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 12

I thought it was a cute idea for gifts. The something old could have been executed better- such as an antique piece of furniture or jewelry.  You can tell which of the 19 actually normally pick out gifts. Jinger could be a personal shopper in terms of buying and ‘wrapping’ gifts. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I think the scheduling Michelle did/does was scheduling the family for their very important media and preaching opportunities.  I don't think the phone rings much anymore, although they do get to occasionally lecture on the right way to do marriage.

...or on how to dress well... lol

• Love 4

“Something borrowed” makes literally no sense as a gift. Is it borrowed, or is it a gift? But what a great way to get rid of your own crappy wedding gifts that you stuffed in the back of a cabinet! Never mind that the people who gave you the gifts might be watching this on TV.

• Love 12

Ive noticed Joy is a little more grumpy and short with the kids than I realized. She also is bossy. 

And her talking about how other kids graduate "oh you just walk on a stage, boring". Ummm that's just one part of graduating high school. There is a party as well and you get to graduate from a school where you are taught actual facts and not just the Bible. 

Edited by shedevil1111
  • Love 20

Joy has a superior attitude,, doesn't she? 

Her poor education and limited life experience/exposure make her think it's OK to just say whatever she wants.  Kinda like a small child. 

The older Kidults learned earlier on to censor themselves a bit and have a little tact.   Joy is rude and insulting to others. 

I dislike Joy the most now. 

• Love 15

Jessa came across as really insecure to me in this episode. She mentioned herself not cooking/not being a good cook multiple times and said that Joy is a much better cook, and she seemed sheepish when she said it, not proud. She also mentioned several times that Joy did more fun things and was better with the younger kids than Jessa herself had been. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

Jessa came across as really insecure to me in this episode. She mentioned herself not cooking/not being a good cook multiple times and said that Joy is a much better cook, and she seemed sheepish when she said it, not proud. She also mentioned several times that Joy did more fun things and was better with the younger kids than Jessa herself had been. 

I wish I thought she was really that self-aware.  And, of course, there's no reason she couldn't learn to cook now if she wanted to, it's not like she has a lot of other stuff to keep her occupied.  Easy enough to get a couple cookbooks from the library or watch some cooking shows or videos on YouTube.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, shedevil1111 said:

And her talking about how other kids graduate "oh you just walk on a stage, boring". Ummm that's just one part of graduating high school. There is a party as well and you get to graduate from a school where you are taught actual facts and not just the Bible. 

I noticed that same, I don't know, lack of awareness of the world, when she was talking about her camping trip. I'm paraphrasing, but Joy, in a voice dripping with superiority, said, "other people have bachelor 'n bachelorette parties with drinkin' 'n dancin' 'n other stuff, but we......."

It's like you're either the morally and spiritually superior Duggars, or you're some caricature that JB and Michelle have fed them.

• Love 16
29 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I noticed that same, I don't know, lack of awareness of the world, when she was talking about her camping trip. I'm paraphrasing, but Joy, in a voice dripping with superiority, said, "other people have bachelor 'n bachelorette parties with drinkin' 'n dancin' 'n other stuff, but we......."

It's like you're either the morally and spiritually superior Duggars, or you're some caricature that JB and Michelle have fed them.

If I had a nickel for every Christian who thought they were being witty and oh so original by saying ‘who needs alcohol to have fun?’ ... me, uniformly ‘speak for yourself, extrovert.’

• Love 17