Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: Warrior Fashion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, enoughcats said:
25 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

a challenge about survivors of Harvey's "Disease".

Have they edited him off of the show's beginning credits, yet?

I've been wondering if they'll remove the usual shots of him in the Fashion Week front row, writing his "To Do List".

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

We've become such a complaining-shaming society. We praise sick people who keep their maladies and struggles to themselves, calling them "brave" and "positive" and "heroes." That is what is happening with cancer. Someone is going through chemo and all that entails and they NEVER talk about how bad they feel? That person gets the accolades. The reverse is that if someone DOES complain (you know, because that shit is awful) then they're told to "be more positive". WHY? I say totally throw yourself a pity party whenever you want. Yeah, a positive attitude helps but so does letting your emotions out and not stifling that crap. 

I had cancer last year, and you are right.  I used to complain to my husband that I felt like I had to be the poster child for having cancer, meaning the people usually wanted to hear that I was doing great, fighting the cancer and determined to win.  Which I was, some of the time.  Other times, I was sick and tired.  Scared of what would happen.  Mad that I had to go through it.  What I found healthy and helpful was acknowledging all I was feeling, good and bad.    

And to stay a little on the show, I don't get Brandon's work.  A bonnet?  And odd fitting pants? 

• Love 21
12 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Jesus H. Christ, the breast cancer trump card.  And I can say that because I had breast cancer.  But I hate the pink, hate the ribbon, hate the emotionalization of cancer.

Also a survivor of this breast cancer, I wholeheartedly agree

• Love 9

I LOVED Brandon's look. It was freaking AMAZING. I love his aesthetic. He is, hands down, the best designer that has been on this show in years. The bonnet was so on point for an editorial. He is doing amazing work.

Ayana has really grown on me. The 80s are starting to make a comeback and she is tapping into that so hard. I had that shirt back in 7th grade, but the pants made the look fresh and not just retro. I hope she can maintain.

Kenya. *sigh*. Those petals looked like they were stuffed with foam. The whole thing looked stiff. I wanted those petals to look soft. The dress color was gorgeous. The makeup was terrifying.

I wanted to yank that mesh/sheer/tulle out of Kentaro's hands when he started to shove it around her neck. The grey sweater was stunning, but when he had trouble pulling it over his own head, I knew it would never fit his model. I think he, more than any of the other designers, is suffering from fatigue.

Who the hell are you, Margarita? She hears Warrior Woman and all she can think of is Wonder Woman cosplay? And that corset was so tiny, how could she not know she needed to construct a better waistline? Ugh. 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Miss Ruth said:

I found out that the litigants on Judge Judy and other court shows are paid by the producers, and the defendants get their debts settled without paying a dime.  :)

I thought the "defendents get their debts settled," but it comes out of their "stipend."  That way the plaintiffs really can win by "earning" more.  Do you know if that's incorrect?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sprockets said:

There has been a lot of Brandon loathing here from the start.  To a certain extent one either likes his look or does not.  The thing is, his craftsmanship is exquisite, his clothes are very photogenic, they are flattering to most body types, and he does have a very clear vision.  

Actually, I think the market for Brandon's clothing is very limited. Women over size 4 or 6 do not look good in crop tops and super baggy pants. That look only works on the very skinny. Also, Brandon's clothes would work for teens and women in there 20's, but I can't imagine women much older walking around with stings and buckles flying around. 

• Love 23

I can't imagine women much older walking around with stings and buckles flying around. 

Maybe the "strings and buckles" are mostly for the runway?  And would be eliminated or greatly lessened for a ready-to-wear version of Brandon's designs?  Maybe this is partly what Zac and Nina are responding to - that Brandon makes fashion, not "clothes."

• Love 10

I feel like a lot of people could achieve Brandon's look with cloth napkins, tablecloths, karate belts and safety pins. Silly putty and adobe color dyes. Ta da!

The only time it seems he has to be careful when sewing is when he makes those fabric loops. Which apparently he does to death in his Fashion Week runway show. 

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I thought the "defendents get their debts settled," but it comes out of their "stipend."  That way the plaintiffs really can win by "earning" more.  Do you know if that's incorrect?

If you Google "How are litigants paid on Judge Judy," details are out there on the web.  Bottom line:  it depends on who wins the case.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Nina, WTF is "millennial pink?"  They have to have their own color now?  If Kentaro gets booted next week, I'm going to be mad a h3ll that Tim used his save on Margarita.

Millennial pink is a thing!  Google has many articles on it.  lol

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-are-we-so-obsessed-with-millennial-pink-theres-a-scientific-explanation-for-everything-2991711

I believe this is the last time Tim could have used his save.  

• Love 3

I feel like almost everything is scripted including the "surprise" of a save. So much phoniness.

I really dislike what we have seen of Margarita's personality. But more importantly, 

I hate her taste level and her garments look cheap to me. Also just the faces she makes when others get praise from the judges are bad enough to curdle milk. She ought to watch herself in the reruns. 

I would always think costume if I saw Brandon's clothes on th street. If he did not add the strings, they would seem cool and laid-back I guess but as a signature, it is really stupid to me.

• Love 6

I don't get offended by much, but I'm trying to decide if all this warrior stuff is offensive to me. I'm the daughter of someone who did not survive breast cancer,  she didn't even get a chance to fight it. I can't stand Margarita anyway, but a literal gold Wonder Woman warrior outfit is not my idea of fighting cancer. I bet sometimes you don't feel like a warrior. Just sayin.'

• Love 21
4 hours ago, Sprockets said:

There has been a lot of Brandon loathing here from the start.  To a certain extent one either likes his look or does not.  The thing is, his craftsmanship is exquisite, his clothes are very photogenic, they are flattering to most body types, and he does have a very clear vision.  

Yes.  I love his clothes! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Judy

Toward the bottom of the page, read the two paragraphs beginning with, "The award limit on Judge Judy,..."

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

If you Google "How are litigants paid on Judge Judy," details are out there on the web.  Bottom line:  it depends on who wins the case.

They ALL get paid something, in addition to travel and lodging.

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 1

Wasn't somebody in a season not too long ago berated for constantly using fringe? How is Strapon Brandon any different? At this point I'm pushing hard for Ayana to win. Love me Kenya too, then Kentaro and Brandon.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think someone posted on a different thread that PR producers sought out Brandon and encouraged him to audition? It now has become very obvious.

I posted this and it is my guess, I have no inside information.  I think they may recruit all of them.  <shrug>  It is easier.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I am now rooting for Anaya. At the beginning I thought that her self-imposed modesty standard would sink her but she has surprised me. She also seems kind. And, based on the lame-ass 'boxing boot camp' that was shoehorned into last night's ep, she kicks ass. 

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Sprockets said:

he thing is, his craftsmanship is exquisite, his clothes are very photogenic, they are flattering to most body types, and he does have a very clear vision.

Crop tops, bare midriffs and baggy shapeless clothes are not flattering to most body types. 

• Love 19
10 hours ago, dwarmed said:

Agreed that was by far the worst win. All the collections were crap that season, but hers was the ugliest shit I’ve ever seen on this show. When she won, I thought ‘So frumpy lace in hideous pastels is the new sexy?’

It didn't matter what she sent down the runway.  They asked her to make a plus-sized collection.  When she said ok, she won.  

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I don't get offended by much, but I'm trying to decide if all this warrior stuff is offensive to me. I'm the daughter of someone who did not survive breast cancer,  she didn't even get a chance to fight it. I can't stand Margarita anyway, but a literal gold Wonder Woman warrior outfit is not my idea of fighting cancer. I bet sometimes you don't feel like a warrior. Just sayin.'

I'm sorry for the loss of your mom CPCathy.

You are right, sometimes you don't feel like a warrior.  At least I didn't always, sometimes I felt like a sick, lost, scared little girl.  I was "lucky" in many ways.  Mine wasn't as aggressive as some cancers, so even though I was stage 3 I have a good chance if it not coming back.  Much of who lives and who doesn't is about the grade and stage of their cancer, not how warrior-like they can be.

The other thing that gets to me is that not all of us had breast cancer.  Mine was Uterine, no pink for my type.  And more women die from lung cancer then breast cancer.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, laprin said:

Tim almost told Brandon that he was doing the same thing every week - almost.  For some reason, he just could not come out with it. Pity. 

I caught that, too.  I was sure he was going to then say: "...and the judges might want to see something different from you," or "they might think you're playing it too safe."  He ALWAYS says this.  But not this time.  It's weird.  The fix is in?

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Strapon Brandon

This made me giggle and made my co-workers wonder what I'm doing on this lunch break!

Edited by lh25
"doing" and "going" are different words!
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

And another thing: Heidi and her ridiculous comment about how "showing skin empowers a woman" (as she was amazed at non-skin-showing Ayana's non-skin-showing creation) made me want to slap her silly.

Yeah, there's a reason women don't typically show a lot of skin in the board room, or at the university lecture hall podium, or in the scientific lab, or in the tech start-up cubicle farm. It does typically *not* empower you. At least not in the way that is right in those circumstances.

• Love 19

I could never wear Brandon's clothes, but I appreciate his take on design and I'm really glad he is staying true to himself. If I were 20 again, maybe I would wear it. I also like his friendship with Kentaro and how they help and inspire each other. As much as I like Kentaro though, I don't think he has a lot of ideas beyond ballet type wear, and for whatever reason he has trouble making his aesthetic work with some of the challenges. I like Ayana's blouse but paired with the pants and the skirt thing it looked dated to me. Kenya's dress was a loving color-I always used to look good in Royal Blue. But the petals looked odd to me and not so editiorial. I haven't been a fan of Margaretia, her work or her attitude. I like bold colors so the red was fine-but the gold bustier was too much. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Midnight Cheese said:

I'm glad Tim saved Margarita.   The hatred she inspires is...a lot.

Nina and Zac Woulda Coulda-ing Kentaro, and then accusing him of copying, was crass and distasteful.

Speaking of distasteful: the Avon lipsticks look as cosmetically appealing as painting your mouth with matte house paint.  To quote "Reinhold Niebuhr," lordy. 

Riffing on "Lordy":  Will no one save us from these meddlesome judges?  

Okay, I am a breast cancer survivor (eleven years!), and from my personal POV:

Ayana's was cool and beautifully made, but had nothing to do with the theme. 

Kentaro's looked like a fucking shroud.

Margarita had a good idea with the feeling of "chaos" (which truly nails the bc experience), but the result was SO cliched-mixed-with-prom-mixed-with-superheroine that even the beautful movement it had couldn't save it.

Brandon:  I actually liked his look better than anything else he has sent down the runway, but it was still the same old same old and that bonnet was DISGUSTING.  That particular kind of headgear makes women look utterly subserivent, not warrior-llike at all.  And even though using pink was probably the correct thing to do, there was something vaguely off-putting to me about it.

Kenya: nailed it.  Not a fan of that blue, but the combination of the big shoulders and those petals over the shoulders and breast area was SO on target, showing off that part of the body in a ballsy, proud way.  I think she should have won.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, jrlr said:

Brandon:  I actually liked his look better than anything else he has sent down the runway, but it was still the same old same old and that bonnet was DISGUSTING.  That particular kind of headgear makes women look utterly subserivent, not warrior-llike at all.  And even though using pink was probably the correct thing to do, there was something vaguely off-putting to me about it.

Your comment about the bonnet pinged another thought in my head.  Might that bonnet remind women of the hair loss they encountered from chemo?  I'm not thinking that a warrior would want to be reminded of their time of greatest suffering.

• Love 5

I'm definitely starting to get annoyed with some of the results now.  This week it felt like Kentaro was saved in effect again.  Two weeks in a row I think he had the worst.  The judges definitely love him.

And Brandon has done some good outfits some weeks but it feels like the judges are just sucking up to him now.  He just repeats himself , if someone else did that they'd complain, but as it's him they say it's great that he shows his perspective, and that hoodie didn't work at all I thought.  You also get the feeling that it's starting to go to his head now. 

I thought the top of Kenya was good, though the bottom part not that spectacular it worked ok. 

Ayana, I didn't think the striped section worked that well with the top (which was ok), it felt like there was a clash where they overlapped. 

I thought Margarita was too criticised and was obviously not the worst.  At least Tim Gunn stuck by his word in supporting her concept as much on the runway as he did in his critique, he hasn't always done that on the show.

• Love 2

I REALLY liked all of the top 3 designs---wouldn't have been surprised or angry at any of those three winning.  They were all so very different from each other so it's difficult to choose a clear winner.  All 3 with impeccable tailoring--I mean, the detail on Ayana's blouse alone was insane and then she managed to line up the pattern on the pants and skirt?  Boss shit.  And Kenya's pleating and petals?  Really special and beautifully fitted.  And I can't help it--I love Brandon's stuff.  The signature straps don't bother me one bit and I'm always interested in what he sends down the runway.  

I was so worried for Kentaro.  He clearly had a different vision in mind and had to switch gears when his first top didn't fit his model.  If I were him, I may have explained that at judging--not necessarily as an excuse, but giving the judges insight into why the top was so underwhelming.  But good for him for just owning the criticism.  He can do no wrong in my eyes.

Margarita's Save was surprising.  I like how she owns her heritage and love of color and all things shiny.  But that look this week?  Just, no.  I would've saved Michael last week before Margarita this week.  

I have no idea who guest judge was but she was a far cry better than that random one from last week.

23 minutes ago, jrlr said:

Brandon:  I actually liked his look better than anything else he has sent down the runway, but it was still the same old same old and that bonnet was DISGUSTING.  That particular kind of headgear makes women look utterly subserivent, not warrior-llike at all.

Someone upthread pointed out that Brandon's hood was very Assassin's Creed.  I think that's the inspiration that took it to "warrior."

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
adding stuff
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Kenya's was nice but wasn't crazy about the petal-y shoulders. Loved the blue color. 

LOL, just the opposite for me--I loved the shoulders and hated the blue.

14 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

I never heard of the guest actress or her show.  Par for the course with guest judges this season.  Remember when they had Vera Wang on? Amidala? Fern whats-er-name?

Fern Mallis. Badgley Mischka. Amsale. Diane von Furstenburg. Cynthia Rowley. Betsy Johnson. Iman. Catherine Malandrino. It is to weep.

14 hours ago, Bebecat said:

I would not have the slighest idea how to wear Brandon's clothes.

Imagine what they look like on a hanger! I can't for the life of me envision someone plucking one of those strappy little confections from the rack and going "ooh, this is adorable!"

13 hours ago, Aerobicidal said:

LI'm confused about what Brandon was going for. Was it a kind of nomadic kind of ice cream androgynous nomadic like strappy kind of nomadic androgynous strap warrior millennial manbun warrior sports street nomad strap androgynous kind of like nomad kind of androgynous strap bonnet nomad feminine helmet androgynous nomad like sort of?

@Aerobicidal thank you for this! I laughed heartily for several minutes.

9 hours ago, Sera Berlin said:

Also the secret winner of this season is in my eyes model MEISHA - week after week the designer who got her won - so often that I don't even remember the last winner look that she didn't walk down the runway - so there u see how much of a difference a good model can make

Meisha is adorable and pure sunshine, I love her.

• Love 15
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

There is no "hate" for Margarita. If the word has been used, it's in the same superficial Reality TV show way that people "love" another, perhaps like Kentaro, or Swatch, or Dmitry of seasons past.  We CAN, however, dislike, even immensely, what we have seen of a person.

I think people definitely hate reality show people and say they know their personality or whatever, but this is just a small edited episode every week, we don't know them really.  And hate is a waste of energy.  They always want to make out that there's a villain for the storyline, but it feels a real stretch to try and make out there is anything approaching that in this storyline.

Swatch, I like dogs but I do get annoyed with 'oh how cute is that dog' stuff.  People should never get dogs just as something to look cute and sit in the corner.

• Love 5

Flipping through some stuff, I came across Fyodor Golan Spring/Summer 2018 Ready-To-Wear Collection which came out in September. Much of it looks like Brandon's work in a different color palette, straps and all. He really is plugged into what's happening now. 

810.jpg

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 4

The Comen for the Cure pink ribbon shit is a total scam. None of the money they raise goes to research, and their "officers" make huge salaries.

I thought the bonnet looked like an over-sized shower cap. It totally hid Miesha's face and was really unflattering.

I liked Anaya's best (I like her the best, too). The blouse also reminded me of one I had in the 80s that I wore to pieces, but the asymmetry made it fresher. I loved how she lined up the little buttons down the collar, and, then,  continuing down the blouse.

I laughed, too, when Brandon was talking about color in Mood, and what did he pick? Colors that look like they came from an old lady's makeup bag. All peachy, pinky, drab beige. Would a warrior wear a bare midriff? Methinks she'd easily be eviscerated in the first seconds of any battle. As to the copying remarks by the judges, who was it that was working on their look first and who had to come to the other for advice (as he's done every single damn week).

Thanks to whoever posted that podcast last week. I disliked Zac before; I nearly detest him now. Rich little poser grinning weasel.

Edited by carrps
possessives change meaning!
  • Love 3

Kenya seems like a lovely person, but I thought that dress was absolutely hideous. The shoulder petals were some kind of Joan Crawford nightmare, and the waist didn't look well sewn; the only thing I liked was the color.

3 minutes ago, carrps said:

Would a warrior wear a bare midriff?

Sexy Ninja Halloween costume! 

• Love 1

One thing I will credit Brandon with is that if you are doing something in relation to breast cancer, having some shade of pink, a color closely associated with breast cancer foundations, is a pretty smart idea. I don't know if it it was intentional or not.

• Love 2