Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Born to Run

Murtaugh and Riggs investigate the mysterious death of famous singer Shaye's bodyguard. Murtaugh turns to his daughter, a fan of the singer, to learn more about Shaye's background and uncover the possible suspects. Meanwhile, Riggs learns the responsibilities that come with being in a relationship with help from Murtaugh.

Gah, the reveal of the flowers for Palmer on the seat of his truck for some reason got me. Riggs was highly aware of not wanting to mess it up with the twist being that Palmer was thrown by caring too much about the relationship after thinking that she was done with feelings. Basically it seems they both want this but need more time to get in sync. Hopefully. Really like these two together.

Roger's daughter being mad that he 'ruined' the singers career was just a big WTF. The woman was guilty of manslaughter and allowing someone else to take the fall for it! And you're upset she won't make more music because she was arrested when she copped to the crime? O-Kay.

I like Bowman. I hope he isn't a dirty cop or canon fodder but I think it's likely he'll be the death when the precinct loses one of its own ratings stunts happens. His being eager to learn is a nice sign. If Roger's daughter were older, Bowman seems like the cop she'd be having a secret relationship with like in the movies. 

Another good one.  I was a little thrown by Riggs and the manager.  It's not that I don't get why he'd hate the man but his reaction was so intense that I expected there to be some kind of backstory about someone that Riggs used to know being abused.  When they didn't explain the overreaction that subplot just felt incomplete.

Undecided about the new cop and wondering what happened to the tattooed guy from season one.  Will wait and see if he shows any more personality in the future.  

I too was a little confused by Roger's daughters reaction to watching her father save someones life while putting himself in serious danger.  

I missed the captain.

I like Palmer but this result makes a lot of sense considering how they write Riggs and where his personal arc is.  Someone that self destructive simply doesn't become stable and and viable quickly, if ever.

To me, I don’t see Riggs being able to have a serious relationship with anyone. Put aside his suicidal tendencies (if that’s what they are), but the man’s idea of a meal is a bag of nachos. And Palmer—well, she strikes me as someone who would like a nice meal—you know, with silverware—every now and then. Sure, she kids around about eating pizza while on stake out, but I think she’d prefer to go a little more glamorous when not undercover. And Riggs still washes his clothes outside on the beach!!!

Was this plot from one of the Lethal Weapon movies?  I kept thinking I had seen it before but it is new.  So then I wondered if it was from one of the movies?  I've seen all of them but I don't have a very good memory for movie plots-the movies that are just fun action movies. And because I think I've seen it before the daughter's reaction at the end did not surprise me.

Tobin Alders: Gah, the reveal of the flowers for Palmer on the seat of his truck for some reason got me. 

Me too! I actually got all misty eyed and that surprised me.

I also like the new guy Detective Bowman but do wonder what happened to our other guy.  Maybe he went back to undercover but it would be nice if they told us.  And I want Avery back!

7 hours ago, JackONeill said:

To me, I don’t see Riggs being able to have a serious relationship with anyone. Put aside his suicidal tendencies (if that’s what they are), but the man’s idea of a meal is a bag of nachos. And Palmer—well, she strikes me as someone who would like a nice meal—you know, with silverware—every now and then. Sure, she kids around about eating pizza while on stake out, but I think she’d prefer to go a little more glamorous when not undercover. And Riggs still washes his clothes outside on the beach!!!

I think that was the actual point of he episode.  Palmer was ready to take a step towards an actual relationship where you do call each other even when you know where the other person is.  Riggs despite the fact that he does like Palmer and might want to be the guy who gets a girl flowers for no reason...just isn't that guy.

The new police chief is horrendous. I can't tell if it is the actor or how the character is written, but she is awful in every scene. Avery can't get back fast enough. His compliment sandwiches were not the only things that I missed!

And why has Avery's role and Scorsese's and even Cahill's been reduced this season, the main cast worked well without this tinkering. The new detective has potential for comic relief, but I hope he doesn't take screen time away from the rest of the cast.  

Murtaugh's family kind of sucks. As far as I understand, police can view video that is given to them by waitresses. And the daughter is one entitled piece of ingratitude!

As long as they get rid of the New police chief though, I can deal with the rest of it. 

Riggs has clearly been impacted by domestic violence at some point. Either he was on the receiving end or he witnessed his family members or friends being abused is my guess from his reactions this episode. I do enjoy that the show does not try to explain every single reaction and leaves some things open to interpretation and exploration in future episodes.

I am a little puzzled by all the "Riggs doesn't know how to have a relationship" stuff that was happening here. He was married previously. And so devoted a husdand that he wanted to die after his wife was killed. So I'm pretty sure he understands the check in phone call. Everyone was talking about him like he is some kind of feral hermit who has never even successfully dated before. 

Was this plot from one of the Lethal Weapon movies?  I kept thinking I had seen it before but it is new.  So then I wondered if it was from one of the movies?  I've seen all of them but I don't have a very good memory for movie plots-the movies that are just fun action movies. And because I think I've seen it before the daughter's reaction at the end did not surprise me.

Sorry, I can't figure how to both properly quote someone and provide a response.  But you may be thinking of the first "Taken" movie.  It starts with a famous singer who is threatened, her bodyguard is killed, and as a bonus, she's also an idol of Liam Neeson's character's daughter.  Pretty much the same setup as here with Murtagh's daughter.  That's what I thought, anyway.

On 10/12/2017 at 4:48 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

Riggs has clearly been impacted by domestic violence at some point. Either he was on the receiving end or he witnessed his family members or friends being abused is my guess from his reactions this episode. I do enjoy that the show does not try to explain every single reaction and leaves some things open to interpretation and exploration in future episodes.

This. I figured maybe Riggs grew up in an abusive home and as a kid felt powerless to stop it and that's why he became a cop. Or that was my suspicion at least.