Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

OMG, to keep getting mistaken for Harvey Weinstein of all people. BOTOH, Jeff Garlin should be a shoo-in for the role when Ryan Murphy or whoever does a docudrama series about the whole HW scandal. (Because of course someone will, eventually.)

Tapping hours.

Eh, please tell me LD isn't a Weinstein sympathizer. Don't make me have to stop watching the show, Larry! (Or is he just against #metoo?)

Oh no, Larry should not be using talcum powder during sex with a woman. Has he not seen all the ads about the ovarian cancer lawsuits?

Hard to imagine Cheryl cheating on Ted Danson with Larry. LD must have something extra special going on. (And it'll probably turn out that Ted is cheating too.)

LD seems even thinner, almost frail. Hope he's okay.

• Love 8

I really didn't find the sexual harassment stuff to be funny at all (other than recognizing that Jeff looks like Harvey Weinstein, which was only funny for a moment).

I guess it's leading up to a major arc about Larry being hated by feminists? It's kind of making me dread this season.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 6

Well Gang, I for one loved loved loved  the new episode.....and Larry wearing the hat to keep people away, I wish I could do that here in Atlanta, but I would get hit on. People carry large guns in the Kroger here for God's sake. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Sticking the nose in the coffee to determine if it's hot, was good.

Richard Lewis did say he would boycott Mocha Joe period, not just Mocha Joe "when he's with Larry".

Phil Rosenthal didn't even try to come up with an excuse as to why he couldn't reschedule, after Rosenthal said he had to leave the lunch early.  He just started walking away, mumbling incoherently.  That was good.

• Love 3

No, Richard Lewis can't cut his hair! It's been like that since the 70s! I think he might be the best on the show going back and forth against Larry. 

I'm going to give you the fully visible tattoo that you don't want to talk about but you can't be wiping your glasses on people's shirts and telling pregnant women what to do. I'll give him some credit for realizing he shouldn't have grabbed the server. And a pass on snapping the selfie stick. Because fuck those people.

I'm wondering if Cheryl and Larry were laughing as part of the scene or if they really lost their shit because it really looked like the latter.

Wobbly tables annoy the shit out of me too though. Why would you have a wobbly table at your restaurant?

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

LD seems even thinner, almost frail. Hope he's okay.

Richard Lewis and Larry David are both about 73. They both have not aged well.... but I think everybody is so astounded by their appearances because LD still writes the show as if the LD he plays on Curb is the same age as when the show began. He never infuses growing older in to that Larry. 

ETA: OK the show began in October 2000, so LD was 53 when it began. Now, almost 20 years later, nothing has changed in terms of showing how the LD character has grown older. He is still the same exact guy reacting to every situation in exactly the same way. He has not slowed down in any way to reflect that he is almost 73. He and Richard Lewis both interact as if they are both stuck in a time warp. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Well Gang, I for one loved loved loved  the new episode.....and Larry wearing the hat to keep people away, I wish I could do that here in Atlanta, but I would get hit on. People carry large guns in the Kroger here for God's sake. 

12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I could have sworn real life Jeff said he's been mistaken for Weinstein. 

1 hour ago, DakotaLavender said:

Richard Lewis and Larry David are both about 73. They both have not aged well.... but I think everybody is so astounded by their appearances because LD still writes the show as if the LD he plays on Curb is the same age as when the show began. He never infuses growing older in to that Larry. 

ETA: OK the show began in October 2000, so LD was 53 when it began. Now, almost 20 years later, nothing has changed in terms of showing how the LD character has grown older. He is still the same exact guy reacting to every situation in exactly the same way. He has not slowed down in any way to reflect that he is almost 73. He and Richard Lewis both interact as if they are both stuck in a time warp. 

I think Larry is so cute...he kind of looks like Jack Skellington from a Nightmare Before Christmas.

I give the actor who play Jeff a lot of credit if he pulls of this story arc.  Personally I think he's much better looking then Weinstein but I could see the resemblance

I think Larry is unique because he is who he is and probably was that way since birth.

If baby Larry could talk I can imagine him telling his doctor "What's up with all the white" and then going on some hilarious rampage.

I was surprised how good Larry is at flirting....the man knows his strengths.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

With the pregnant woman, shouldn't his issue have been the likelihood of her falling, or just banging her stomach against the treadmill? "Jostling" the fetus was the least of her issues.

I think I would have found the MAGA hat storyline funnier if it didn't remind me so much of the plotline with Larry tripping Shaquille O'Neal.

It was the same concept - Larry does something that makes the public disgusted with him, and he revels in it, because he was dreading doing something for a friend, and now the friend wants nothing to do with him.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not sure this is a show about growth though. 

Or hugging.

I thought the walking-and-breaking the selfie stick was a pretty glaring off-note for Larry, and that having him physically touch the server made it less funny. The server already thought he was ogling her instead of the pigs in a blanket and MMV but I can imagine Larry blurting, "I just wanted what she was serving!" and it being taken in the wrong way. 

Having germaphobe Larry grab his assistant's shirt to clean his glasses also seemed off.

I thought the dog/human bowl conflict was gold, Larry David-wise. That and Jeff's undeniable resemblance to HW were plenty.

Larry's funniest when he's struggling in the truly gray zones that are pretty low-stakes. It wasn't good that I started remembering how rich Larry is when he leased the space next to Mocha Joe out of vengeance. Punch UP, show!

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

Larry's funniest when he's struggling in the truly gray zones that are pretty low-stakes.

I totally agree. I felt like they were taking the bits one beat too far. Larry oggling pigs in a blanket, and the server gets the wrong idea. Funny. The last beat with Larry accidently grabbing the server's boob didn't add anything. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I totally agree. I felt like they were taking the bits one beat too far. Larry oggling pigs in a blanket, and the server gets the wrong idea. Funny. The last beat with Larry accidently grabbing the server's boob didn't add anything. 

But it is a trope with CYE, like the early episode, may have even been the pilot, where some little girl told her parents that Larry had something hard in his pants or something like that.

So long before #MeToo, he was mining this topic, about sexual misunderstandings, where he's usually innocent but ends up in a situation like he's a sexual creep.

• Love 8

I keep complaining about this show, so I guess everyone on this thread can complain that I should just stop watching. 

I guess I watch because occasionally something will entertain me? I was happy that Larry broke the selfie stick. I still enjoy Leon.

Almost everything else was bad. 

He recycled the Happy New Year from Seinfeld.

Why spit up on his shirt? Wouldn’t you spit up into the tainted bowl?

They were married for how many years? She wasn’t allergic to talc when they were married....

• Love 1

This episode was like the episode with Shaq, as mentioned up thread, where Larry alienated everyone, and he was so happy that he bought “coffee for everyone!” at Starbucks.  

It also had undertones of the episode where Larry’s mom died, and Larry found out it was a great way to get out of interacting with people.

I don’t mind retreading some territory if it’s still funny.

I think, this episode and last season, Larry was finding conflict too easily with everyone.  Snapping the selfie stick is something he never would have done ten years ago.  If anyone remembers the episode “Mel’s Offer,” (which is probably my second favorite episode), there is a really funny, really slow build-up between Larry and a doctor that doesn’t want Larry using his phone, and I think it’s much better than the rapid-fire conflicts seen here.

Mocha Joe was an asshole last time he was on, so I hope Larry wins this one.  Also, Mocha Joe, Larry knows where you get your beans, because you sent him on a wild goose chase around LA to find them on the Seinfeld season, so don’t be so cocky that he can’t have your beans.

I think Larry looks really frail and skinny, as does Richard, but Cheryl looks the worst.  She looks like one of those inhuman pigs things from a horror movie.  I wish they’d just get rid of her already.  I’ve always hated her, her asshole family, and the way she would sell Larry out at the drop of a dime, so I wish she’d just exit stage left.  Also, Cheryl was always supposed to be the straight man.  I don’t appreciate her suddenly making all kinds of jokes.

I thought the episode came together nicely with the talcum powder and the women both thinking he was sexually exploiting them because of mishaps.  I think Curb does a much better job of having the stories come together at the end than Seinfeld did (when Seinfeld did manage to do it, like the episode when Kramer made luxury lanes, it was brilliant).  

I thought it was kind of hilarious that people were mistaking Jeff for Harvey Weinstein, but I think that is only one episode long, as it looks like he’s shaved next episode.  

Nothing Larry says or does on this show offends me.  It’s that type of comedy that should be able to go absolutely anywhere in my opinion.  I was watching a season five episode last night where he was telling Cheryl’s father that worshipping Jesus seemed kind of gay, and that Jesus should have been a lady, and I was like, “this is a little...” and I stopped myself.  It’s just the kind of comedy you just have to go with.  The only thing that offends me is something that is unfunny.

So glad Leon is back.  I love Larry’s real friends—Leon, Jeff, and Richard.  The people that would drop him or ridicule him, like Ted and Funkhauser, I found to be assholes.  

• Love 5

I think at this point, it wouldn't be surprising if he goes back to some previous formulas.

I didn't think the selfie stick or the scooters were big plot points, just quick visual gags that might strike a chord with some viewers.

The early seasons were great though I don't remember a lot of those episodes.  Going to have to rewatch.

But season 8 had some brilliant episodes like Palestinian Chicken.  But that was almost 10 years ago!

And the series started 20 years ago.

It's hard to expect that the show would have the same energy of even 10 years ago.  Still, I think Season 9 had some great moments and I would expect season 10 to have as well.

He may not explore new ground.  He has the same attitudes as Seinfeld, no hugs, no learning.  In fact you can say CYE was a more profane, updated Seinfeld, with very few network censor constraints.

But I'm fine with that, will keep watching as long as he makes them.

• Love 6
On 1/22/2020 at 1:56 PM, cpcathy said:

I also dislike Cheryl, always have. I hope Ted is off cheating with Mary.

I can't stand Cheryl. Plus, I think the actor who plays "Cheryl" (Cheryl Hines?) is nothing special. But I will say she has become better over the decades. At the beginning her improv ability was awful. 

• Love 3
On 1/21/2020 at 2:49 PM, heavysnaxx said:

I thought the walking-and-breaking the selfie stick was a pretty glaring off-note for Larry, and that having him physically touch the server made it less funny.

I thought breaking the selfie stick and pushing over the scooters was off as they were very deliberate. 

The server thing, at least, was an unintentional bad thing which will get him in trouble.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:12 PM, Blakeston said:

With the pregnant woman, shouldn't his issue have been the likelihood of her falling, or just banging her stomach against the treadmill? "Jostling" the fetus was the least of her issues.

He shouldn't have any issues with what she's doing with her pregnancy.  That's between her and her doc and nothing she was doing is considered dangerous for a healthy pregnant woman.  Not running. Not running on a treadmill.  Not a cup of coffee (not that he could even see what was in her cup).

On 1/21/2020 at 4:36 PM, scrb said:

So long before #MeToo, he was mining this topic, about sexual misunderstandings, where he's usually innocent but ends up in a situation like he's a sexual creep.

What I'm afraid of with the #metoo story isn't that Larry might end up accused, it's that there won't be enough recognition that--okay, maybe the sexual component of what he does ends up being accidental but he's still hella inappropriate and is usually already being intentionally so when he 'accidentally' goes too far.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

What I'm afraid of with the #metoo story isn't that Larry might end up accused, it's that there won't be enough recognition that--okay, maybe the sexual component of what he does ends up being accidental but he's still hella inappropriate and is usually already being intentionally so when he 'accidentally' goes too far.

Do you remember the "Rash on her Pussy" episode? The final scene of that episode went way too far.  

• Love 2

Still watching, but this episode is a huge improvement. 

I still think Larry walks around with a notebook. Any time he has a thought or conversation that amuses him, he writes whole episodes around them.

Larry’s hands are the opposite of masculine. Women let him touch them with those terrible hands.

• Love 2

Didn't enjoy it as much as the season opener but that painting! Omg. And Jeff's reaction! Too funny.

Why doesn't IMDB list the entire cast? I wanted to to know who played the lawyer. And was that Teri Polo playing Rita the receptionist/ Larry's date?

• Love 2

What the heck? No one serves tomatoes that big like that. They were pulling focus the entire scene. And that says a lot, with that portrait in the shot. Just so they could have that set-up? Come on, Larry. You could have faked it with cherry tomatoes.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
27 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Didn't enjoy it as much as the season opener but that painting! Omg. And Jeff's reaction! Too funny.

Why doesn't IMDB list the entire cast? I wanted to to know who played the lawyer. And was that Teri Polo playing Rita the receptionist/ Larry's date?

Confirmation. (Validation?) Teri Polo in end credits. Nice catch. I would not have recognized her. She was fantastic!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Confirmation. (Validation?) Teri Polo in end credits. Nice catch. I would not have recognized her. She was fantastic!

Thanks. The end credits go by too fast for me to read. It just looked and sounded like Teri to me. She was great! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Would anyone choose IRL to be married to individuals like Larry or Susie? They seem to search for opportunities to be p- - -ed off all the time.

I hate to say this but the following is a truthful response. I am Jewish, both Litvak and Galitzyaner. It is a cultural thing. It is how many Jewish people (and husbands and wives) relate to each other and interact. My mother was just like Susie: always screaming at my father like that, "Don't eat that, it is for dinner." "Get out of this room, I am setting it up for company." etc. My mother was always angry. And many of the men are fixated on minutiae and create dynamics of ridicule. 

I hope I don't get in trouble here for saying that because it can sound offensive, but as a Jewish woman I think I do have an explanation for the question asked above because it is a cultural thing that many of my friends who watch the show have experienced and understand while it can be viewed as very bizarre to non Jewish people. 

Jacki Mason had a great video on YT explaining it but it was removed for copyright reasons. 

ETA: Who is the actor playing Larry's assistant in his office with the dog? 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 7

Who knew side sitting was a thing.  It was like stopping short in Seinfeld.

Of course Larry would enter into a cancer pact, but played the cancer card to try to woo Cheryl.

Then get pissed that nobody asked about his test results.

Jeff killed it with the facial reactions to the painting.  Seriously why does he stay married to her?  When he cheated, that was the time to get away.  But of course, their elation ship provides a lot of comic fodder.

I don’t remember Mocha Joe from previous season.  Must have been a despicable character because a spite store to ruin a small business by someone as rich as Larry wouldn’t be a good look, punching down like that.

Better be funny.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

The actor playing the lawyer is Ben Shenkman, regular on  Royal Pains, Billions, For The People, to name a few

• Love 3
1 minute ago, scrb said:

I don’t remember Mocha Joe from previous season.  Must have been a despicable character because a spite store to ruin a small business by someone as rich as Larry wouldn’t be a good look, punching down like that.

Mocha Joe is a character featured in the Season 7 Finale, from maybe 2009? 

1 minute ago, sheetmoss said:

The actor playing the lawyer is Ben Shenkman, regular on  Royal Pains, Billions, For The People, to name a few

Yeah I was going to say Ira the lawyer seems more distraught with Larry using his private bathroom than losing money on Ice Juice.

• LOL 5
11 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

I hate to say this but the following is a truthful response. I am Jewish, both Litvak and Galitzyaner. It is a cultural thing. It is how many Jewish people (and husbands and wives) relate to each other and interact. My mother was just like Susie: always screaming at my father like that, "Don't eat that, it is for dinner." "Get out of this room, I am setting it up for company." etc. My mother was always angry. And many of the men are fixated on minutiae and create dynamics of ridicule. 

I hope I don't get in trouble here for saying that because it can sound offensive, but as a Jewish woman I think I do have an explanation for the question asked above because it is a cultural thing that many of my friends who watch the show have experienced and understand while it can be viewed as very bizarre to non Jewish people. 

Jacki Mason had a great video on YT explaining it but it was removed for copyright reasons. 

ETA: Who is the actor playing Larry's assistant in his office with the dog? 

Thank you! I think you are awesome to explain. 

I went to Penn a long time ago. I met many students who are Jewish. They complained but were always HILARIOUS when they complained.

My best college friend from Woodmere makes me laugh more than 99.9999% of the world.  

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1

That odd way of saying “cancer” was a thing, in Larry’s notes, I would bet.

Could someone please summarize the previous Mocha Joe plot? Thank you.

Richard Lewis’s hair needs an intervention.

I am confused. I thought that patients are usually head-first with MRIs.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
9 hours ago, scrb said:

Who knew side sitting was a thing.

In the true CYI spirit, I have a critique of this episode's "side-sitting" issue. Any one of these characters' ages would have called an "audible side-sit" on this. Sitting across the table means you can't hear a damn word from the person you're with because restaurants are so loud now so - you move your chair to the side of the table so you can talk.

This is *not* true side-sitting, where diners are seated next to each other, for purposes of either canoodling or allowing the studio audience to see both actors.

Also: I am CHARMED to learn I'm not alone in my Cheryl-hate. Ever since the bracelet episode of Season 1, Cheryl has annoyed the hell out of me.

Edited by heavysnaxx
  • Love 3

Not a fan of the mockery LD made of the concept of consent in intimate relations. I don't think it would have to be that awkward unless you made it so.

I don't think that painting was of Susie. I think Larry just happened to come across some Spanish art featuring someone who Susie happens to resemble and he got an artist to touch it up a bit.

He had to side sit! (Ditto comments upthread, side-sitting must be the new stopping short.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I am confused. I thought that patients are usually head-first with MRIs.

Not necessarily. I had an MRI of my abdomen recently, and I went in feet-first.

I actually preferred this episode to the first one. Partially because Larry really was being an inappropriate jerk when he grabbed his assistant. I'll enjoy the #MeToo plotline more if it addresses that Larry really can be very inappropriate - rather than depicting him as the innocent victim of a hypersensitive feminist who won't listen to reason.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Would anyone choose IRL to be married to individuals like Larry or Susie? They seem to search for opportunities to be p- - -ed off all the time.

I think Larry and Susie are really different.  Larry used to just kind of marvel at minor injustices and get in petty fights, whereas Susie screams (although Larry is edging into that territory now too).  But, yes, I get very annoyed with societal slights.  Example: When you say “thank you” at Tropical Smoothie, the employees respond with “no problem.”  That is a wholly inappropriate response to me.  The proper response to a “thank you” is a “you’re welcome,” because no one ever implied there was a problem.

Also, when I found out the word “unfortunately” was banned for employees at the Apple store, it was the greatest news I ever heard in my life, because I don’t need faux-sympathetic millennials saying something is unfortunate about a mobile device in which they have almost no stake.

If my husband didn’t see things this way, I could not be married to him.  So...yes?  I guess is the response.  I kinda thought everyone wanted to be with someone like that, lol, but I guess we found each other and we’re happy!

58 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

Also: I am CHARMED to learn I'm not alone in my Cheryl-hate. Ever since the bracelet episode of Season 1, Cheryl has annoyed the hell out of me.

I loathe Cheryl with the fire of a thousand nuns.  You will not find me saying anything good about Cheryl ever, unless it’s to point out how much she used to suck at something.  I hate her because she was mean and spiteful toward Larry.  Like, bitch, you knew you were marrying a crotchety old(er) man with a ton of money.  You accepted the money, but you never supported him, you let your parents and your sister treat him like shit over and over, and you always take someone else’s side over his (ie Wanda Sykes).  She acted so pristine and conservative, but she never minded taking his money, she’s two-faced, and she always made Larry fight her battles and do her dirty work.  What a bitch.  

4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Could someone please summarize the previous Mocha Joe plot? Thank you.

Mocha Joe was selling coffee from his booth on the set of the revived Seinfeld show and Larry asked MJ to do him a favor and walk jumper cables to a place that Mocha Joe was already going.  Larry called it a “favor,” but it was a minor favor.  Then Mocha Joe demanded that Larry return the favor by having him pick up his coffee beans at night in some crazy part of LA, and when Larry told MJ that he went to the store and the store was closed, because it was at night, Mocha Joe said that the favor hadn’t been returned, even though Larry jumped through hoops for this guy.  I would have thrown him off the set.  

• Love 3

I think this episode was a lot better than last week’s—a lot.  Larry talking about the Revolutionary War to his lawyer when his lawyer couldn’t be less interested was classic Larry.  I love that he feels free to act so stupid, yet even while he’s acting stupid, he’s quoting Revolutionary War heroes.  It reminds me of the episode when he was taking that hooker to the baseball game so they could ride in the express lane, and when they were negotiating the terms of the deal, Larry invoked Henry Clay, the Great Compromiser.  Who does that?!  I love it.  

The whole cancer thing was really funny to me, and so dark, which I love.  I loved Larry’s friends all telling him matter-of-factly that they were out of his life if he has cancer, and how matter-of-factly he took the news.  Even Richard Lewis, who’s got Larry’s kidney in his body!  Larry didn’t stick around for Loretta when she got cancer, and there’s a dark truth there that a lot of people won’t support someone through that, so I thought that was great.  

What I also like about this season is that they are touching on rich people problems.  I always thought it was unrelatable when Larry had normal people problems, such as the time he missed multiple meetings with Diane Keaton because he was waiting so long in a doctor’s office.  Wouldn’t someone as rich as him not have to wait in the doctor’s office like the rest of us?  I mean, Michael Jackson was so rich that he bought his own doctor.  I would think there would be enough old, rich guys in LA that a luxury doctor (no waiting) service would be in demand.

So when the receptionist at the law firm asked Larry why he was validating, I was like, ok, good, someone is finally pointing out that the guy has a ton of money.  Jeff was also 100% right that Larry would never have any problem getting a date because he’s rich.  This man will never have a problem getting a date in LA.  Look at Hugh Hefner.  

I was glad that Larry mentioned the wobbly table again in this episode.  I also thought this episode was fabulous in putting different arcs together.  It was really brilliant to make side-sitting a thing with Cheryl, and then making his secretary side-sit with him when Ted came around, to show that he side-sits with everyone.  The painting, which I didn’t think was very funny in and of itself, was also hilarious when the “light mahogany” guy trashed it and Susie saw it on the side of the road.  They laid the ground work for that one so well.  

I thought the scene with the consent on the date was long, and it wasn’t ha-ha funny, but I thought it was important.  From what I understand, there are groups out there advocating that people should have to use a consent app on their phones before they have sex.  Recording  the whole thing (and emailing it to any interested party) is just the next step in this 1984 scenario, so I was glad they showed how absurd it all is, even though this isn’t and shouldn’t be an issue type show.

Ted Dansen is looking just as ancient as the rest of them.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

I'll enjoy the #MeToo plotline more if it addresses that Larry really can be very inappropriate - rather than depicting him as the innocent victim of a hypersensitive feminist who won't listen to reason.

This worked a lot better because he needed her to side sit when Ted walked in and she of course was (justifiably) pissed off when he grabbed her. He should have said something but reacted when he saw Ted. The wiping his glasses on her shirt was just dumb and a contrivance. 

I'm surprised Larry did rant on the visible tattoo but the person doesn't talk about it. That seems like a tailor made CYE plot. 

I have no idea how everyone wasn't pissing themselves over that painting. Jeff ranting at Larry about not bringing it back until it was perfect was a great rant. His general horror throughout the episode was brilliant. 

• Love 1