Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought the show's point concerning the Judge Judy ruling against Larry was, "Yes, normally, she would have been totally on Mrs. Shapiro's ass, but Larry is just that exasperating that even a paragon of justice like Judge Judy has no choice but to throw the rules of jurisprudence out the window." So it worked for me.

I found myself surprised that Lin-Manuel Miranda apparently never had second thoughts about agreeing to appear on Curb when the plot line involves his creating a musical that has fun with Islam. I think of real-life Miranda as a guy who'd want to stay on the (politically) correct side of that issue. I quite enjoyed that he's more relaxed about it than I'd have expected him to be.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

Sure, Lauren Graham is recognizable too but those glasses really make her seem a different person. I guess it's the "Clark Kent - Superman" effect.

She's matured a bit and fulled-out some, especially in her face.  In her first scene with LD I actually mistook her for Valerie Bertinelli for a second.

15 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

She's matured a bit and fulled-out some, especially in her face.  In her first scene with LD I actually mistook her for Valerie Bertinelli for a second.

I found Lauren Graham every bit as singularly unconvincing as I found her in the few episodes I watched of Gilmore Girls.

Before the relationship with Larry went south, I found her to be working way too hard at chuckling "spontaneously" and showing "amusement" every time he spoke. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I found Lauren Graham every bit as singularly unconvincing as I found her in the few episodes I watched of Gilmore Girls.

I'm a long-time GG fan, but have to admit, no matter what role she's cast in Lauren's pretty much always playing herself.

• Love 3

I never watched GG but I know of the actor. If that's what she's really like, we'd probably get along. She seemed to be mostly amused with Larry, so I guess it works for her and her character. I thought she and Larry have been the best of his dating partners. 

• Love 1

Mrs Shapiro was funny but I didn't believe that she lived in that house for fifty years and raised her children in it. It looks too new and modern. 

Yeah, I had a similar thought.  That house looks contemporary.  It's not a renovated 50+ year old home. 

What is the proper etiquette of visiting an old home like that?  My parents sold the house I grew up in nearly 10 years ago.  I still have dreams about visiting the place, and I'm always super curious about it.  The new owner converted it to a duplex which he rents out to college students.

You politely knock on the door.  If the owner answers, you explain who you are and ask to look around.  If the owner agrees, you do a quick walk around, so as not to bother the current owners, thank them once you are done and go.  Also, be prepared that they may not want a stranger walking around their home and may decline to let you walk around. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Before the relationship with Larry went south, I found her to be working way too hard at chuckling "spontaneously" and showing "amusement" every time he spoke. 

I think Lauren is absolutely fantastic on GG and Lorelai Gilmore is one of my favourite television characters, ever.

And her chuckling probably WAS spontaneous, being that the show is improv'd.

I don't mean to sound upset.... I just REALLY like her on that show.  She's a classic character

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 11/28/2017 at 11:45 AM, Milburn Stone said:

That last scene when they were in the bed talking, she just chuckled the whole time, and it didn't seem to me like she was working at it.  It seemed to me like she wasn't a comedian and/or isn't trained in improv maybe? 

Did you Gilmore Girls fans notice Michel was playing the agent?  He's, um, filled out, too.  It took me a while to recognize both him and Lauren Graham.

• Love 1

Re visiting your old house: after my mother's funeral (15 years ago) my sisters and I decided to drive past the house we grew up in. As it happened, someone was outside and we introduced ourselves. They weren't the first buyer (my mother moved out in 1984) but they were I think the 2nd, so various neighbors had told them all about her. They were very welcoming; I would have accepted the invitation to go in and see what they'd done, but my sisters adamantly refused (and one of them was driving). It's absolutely up to the new owner whether they want to let you in or not. Larry should have known better than to say yes.

I'd never seen and barely even heard of the Gilmore Girls. But reading the posts here I decided to try it (Netflix). I'm into episode 3 and enjoying it. Interesting that in episode 1 humorous mention is made of officer Krupke! LD was a Gilmore fan? Or maybe Lauren told him the idea.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, riverclown said:

I'd never seen and barely even heard of the Gilmore Girls. But reading the posts here I decided to try it (Netflix). I'm into episode 3 and enjoying it. Interesting that in episode 1 humorous mention is made of officer Krupke! LD was a Gilmore fan? Or maybe Lauren told him the idea.

It's a really enjoyable show, you are down a wormhole now.  8 full seasons for you to enjoy - 7 originals plus the new Netflix revival "A Year in the Life"!

Both Jerry Seinfeld and Larry mention musicals sporadically throughout their shows, and I think it is totally a coincidence.  There's a Seinfeld episode all the way back from 1991 where George can't stop singing a showtune from Les Miserables ("Master of the House").  Also in Season 4 of Curb Your Enthusiasm he stars in The Producers.  I doubt that Larry's love of musicals has anything to do with Lauren Graham.

Yes, I did notice Yanic Truesdale as the agent.  It's too bad he didn't come up with any funny lines or they were edited out though.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 11/29/2017 at 3:32 PM, cpcathy said:

To be fair to Lauren (who looks lovely with those glasses), if someone is playing your boyfriend, and they are being funny, you should probably be laughing.

Maybe that's it--I didn't think what he was saying was that funny, so I thought her constant chuckling was odd. 

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Maybe that's it--I didn't think what he was saying was that funny, so I thought her constant chuckling was odd. 

That's what I'm sayin'! (Glad to have company.) Not everything Larry said in conversation with her was intended to be funny. And no other character we've seen in the nine seasons has reacted to him with this nearly constant sense of amusement, including other women he's dated. (Not that I can remember that many of those.) Even his best friends are exasperated with him more than anything else. The only times I can think of Bridget (the LG character) not chuckling at LD are when they're talking about her son.

Now, you can make a case that the constant chuckling is something that happens when a relationship is new, or that the reason LD even likes Bridget is that she constantly chuckles at everything he says, but to me it felt like an acting crutch--born out of LG's need for some piece of "business" to do so that she's not just "there." The thing is, figuring out a way to just be "there" and still have presence is what good actors do.

• Love 4

I just can't with this show anymore. It's all become one tedious yelling contest and I'm way over all the 'celeb' characters, they're not even good on this show and since it's only yelling now, I can't be bothered. The first show this season was too yelly and a parade of stars. For us, right now, the only time this show is remotely funny is when Larry's is on. The rest, I just can't anymore. 

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Personally I find Larry Longballs a catchier phrase. 

Oh man, I cracked up when she said that.  Also love those stare downs Larry does with other actors. It's just so goofy. I always picture them do multiple takes because they'd just couldn't keep from laughing.

• Love 2

What is worse, an outfit-tracker or an outfit-repeater?

I have to wonder if real life LD is anything like CYE LD.  To obsess over minutiae like this.

Or if he just writes comedy in which characters obsess over so many trivial things.

Certainly has made him very rich and famous.

Real life LD has the money to compensate his friend investors for their losses in the musical.  Those losses are the result of his personality issues, which led to a direct conflict with the star (he also alienated F Murray Abraham too) and him quitting the play and causing it to lose money for his friends.

If they have another season, will CYE LD achieve something approaching zen or is he always going to create friction with those around him?

Since real life LD is famous for a show whose motto was "no hugging, no learning" we know the answer to that question already.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I got distracted by what a complete asshole Lin Manuel was, and how inexplicably everyone was on his side.

I really disliked him throughout. Kudos to him for a good acting job. I was amused when Larry accidentally shot him in the mouth with the paintball gun. Although, I wanted to see Fatwa! the musical happen I didn't want it to be based on Lin Manuel's awful suggestions.

• Love 1

So Richard Lewis always shows up super early, so that he'll get the "better" seat, and Funkhauser is always late. 

I wonder if the real life Larry David experiences even a fraction of these little aggravations. It can't be good for his blood pressure. 

The pants that were too loose, could you even wear a belt with those? They looked like sweatpants.  

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1

I loved Lin-Manuel in this. And Nick Offerman! I didn't recognize him until I placed his voice.

Oh Larry, you don't wanna be a gesture-rescinding motherfcuker. The Mirandas don't play that.

Loved Susie's wedding outfit.

Was that guy chasing Larry at the end the buffet line guy?

• Love 5

Great episode., I enjoyed it a lot.  I liked the CYE/Homeland crossover - when F. Murray totally transitioned to Dar, when he was glaring at LD.  I have to admit, I'm with Larry on the failure to seat an incomplete party policy. 

I knew there would be some kind of payoff with the baggy pants - I totally did not see the paintball shot as the result. 

I would have liked to see more of Ernest (?), Lin-Manual's cousin husband.  For some reason, he just cracked me up, I guess it was that sort of deadpan Teutonic accent. 

• Love 3

I completely agree with Larry about being a houseguest. You tiptoe! I tiptoe even when I visit my parents, and I grew up in that house!

It was beyond weird for Lin-Manuel to ask for his cousins to stay at Larry's. Yes, they should've gotten a hotel room.

I also agree with Larry about the thank yous and the sorries!

I'm not going to back him up on asking Nick Offerman for money back, though. He shouldn't have offered in the first place. If the guy couldn't go to the paintball outing, it's not a big deal.

I also think Larry should've skipped paintball altogether. He needed to be at Sammi's wedding. I know...we needed the funny ending (LMM getting shot in the mouth was excellent), but it bothered me that Larry didn't go to the wedding. It wasn't really in character for him to ride in the ambulance with someone.

I will always love this show. I hope we get more, but I was glad to have this season.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6

I was so excited when this show came back. My love for Curb borders on irrational. But it felt like the show was trying to hard this season. Maybe having such a long break made it hard for Larry to get back into the mindset- he had the same issue with the Seinfeld finale if I recall. That said, there were still several moments that I thought were on par with previous seasons. I loved when Leon and the bodyguard broke into Larry's room when he was having sex with Shara. I loved Larry and Jeff's bemusement at Lewis' art show. And the scene where Larry tried to ask Mary out when Ted was watching was probably my favorite for the season. Ted's condescending "what did she say?" after Larry got shot down was just perfect. I;m absolutely in for another season. Or 10 or however many he wants to do.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mjc570 said:

For some reason, he just cracked me up, I guess it was that sort of deadpan Teutonic accent. 

I think the character being so deadpan as meant to be an inside joke because that actor is known for being so outgoing. His real voice is totally different. 

15 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I completely agree with Larry about being a houseguest. You tiptoe! I tiptoe even when I visit my parents, and I grew up in that house!

I'm not a prude, but I think swinging at someone's house that you don't even know might be a little much. *Then* they trashed the whole place? I have to put some of that on Larry though. He did give give them the run of the place. He could have ask Lin-M to ask them to tiptoe. 

17 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

It wasn't really in character for him to ride in the ambulance with someone.

No, but Lin was the key to the musical. The mullahs (imams?) said he could only do the musical if Lin starred. 

Larry's whole thing to Susan about watching Sammi grow up and then Jeff giving him a wtf look was hilarious because they both knew he was full of it. Larry should have skipped paintball, but the bottom line is that he was never into the wedding. Susie should have known better. I liked the callback to the save the date.

Funkhauser coming in late and then profusely apologizing killed me. Larry looked really amused. I was dying. I don't know how they didn't break up. 

I think if all the actors still feel fresh, then the show should go on as long as they want. 

• Love 5
On 12/3/2017 at 9:02 PM, scrb said:

Real life LD has the money to compensate his friend investors for their losses in the musical.  Those losses are the result of his personality issues, which led to a direct conflict with the star (he also alienated F Murray Abraham too) and him quitting the play and causing it to lose money for his friends.

But it's not like they don't know he has personality issues that could very well lead to a direct conflict with the star.  They couldn't necessarily predict a paintball to the mouth in the course of a duel putting the star out of commission, but Larry fucking everything up really shouldn't come as a complete surprise. 

Did anyone else notice in the credits that the producer's name is Mychelle Deschamps?  That's the stage name the stand-in used. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But it's not like they don't know he has personality issues that could very well lead to a direct conflict with the star.  They couldn't necessarily predict a paintball to the mouth in the course of a duel putting the star out of commission, but Larry fucking everything up really shouldn't come as a complete surprise. 

Did anyone else notice in the credits that the producer's name is Mychelle Deschamps?  That's the stage name the stand-in used. 

I noticed that, too, but I thought the stand-in used the first name "Marie."

• Love 1
15 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I would have liked to see more of Ernest (?), Lin-Manual's cousin husband.  For some reason, he just cracked me up, I guess it was that sort of deadpan Teutonic accent. 

Flula Borg. He's a comedian, and he's HILARIOUS. Plenty of stuff on YouTube, if you'd like to get to know him better. Well worth your time, in my opinion.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Uncle Benzene said:

Flula Borg. He's a comedian, and he's HILARIOUS. Plenty of stuff on YouTube, if you'd like to get to know him better. Well worth your time, in my opinion.

Thanks - I just watched him on Youtube, and you're right, he is great. 

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Ah, you're right.  The stand-in's stage name was Marie Deschamps.  Rats.

But I'll bet the last name was deliberate. After all, we had Alec Berg and Lloyd Braun on "Seinfeld."  And Kenny Kramer became Cosmo Kramer. 

Anyone think the ending might have been meant to serve as a finale if that winds up happening? It had a very unusual, old-fashioned iris wipe to the credits while Larry is yelling "It's over!" Just seemed like (potentially) an in-joke to me.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1
On 11/28/2017 at 0:57 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

I'm a long-time GG fan, but have to admit, no matter what role she's cast in Lauren's pretty much always playing herself.

I've never watched Gilmour Girls and have never seen her in anything actually. I loved her in this role.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

What was an Alec Berg name? Never understood that.

Do you mean the way Jerry was joking about the name on "Seinfeld" in "The Face Painter" episode ? If so, I think he meant Alec Berg sounded very dignified. It is a name you would enjoy John Houseman uttering, because has such an elegant, distinguished accent. 

1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Do you mean the way Jerry was joking about the name on "Seinfeld" in "The Face Painter" episode ? If so, I think he meant Alec Berg sounded very dignified. It is a name you would enjoy John Houseman uttering, because has such an elegant, distinguished accent. 

Oh yeah...he said Alec Berg was a good John Houseman name. Lol...so in John Houseman's accent the name sounds fancy. Love it. I'll have to look up Houseman so I can hear his voice.

OT: what did they mean when they said the proctologist was a one in a million shot doctor or something to that effect?  I suppose I should take this to the Seinfeld thread but here I am ?.

1 hour ago, woodscommaelle said:

Oh yeah...he said Alec Berg was a good John Houseman name. Lol...so in John Houseman's accent the name sounds fancy. Love it. I'll have to look up Houseman so I can hear his voice.

OT: what did they mean when they said the proctologist was a one in a million shot doctor or something to that effect?  I suppose I should take this to the Seinfeld thread but here I am ?.

Kramer tells them that if they ever meet a proctologist at a party, to pull up a chair, because proctologists always have the best stories. "No one wants to admit that they stuck something up there." The patients will always act incredulous, claiming it was a one in a million shot. 

I am happy to learn that the Seinfeld scripts can be viewed online once again. They were available for a while, then someone took them down. I hope that doesn't happen again.