Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought that since Maria Sophia assaulted Ted and Cheryl, that that would cancel out the gate issue (if you don't sue me, the Danson's won't press charges) and Larry would be free to fire her.

• Useful 2
17 hours ago, aghst said:

No Tracy Ullman is playing her as unappealing in certain ways.

The way she eats, the way she barks at him, the way she scratches herself.

It's not age alone that is suppose to make her disgusting.

He didn't make one comment about her age as the reason why he's repelled.

I agree. I think if it were Tracey Ullman’s show, she would make herself the femme fatale if she wanted, and Larry would be the repugnant shlub. 

Cheryl Hines is 56 and is presented still as an attractive and desirable woman. To me this is just a role that Tracey Ullman can pull off, is probably improvising a lot of the disgusting mannerisms, and is just a vehicle to move the plot. Certainly no one thinks this plot is realistic. Real Larry David would have paid a fine, put up a fence and never hired Maria Sofia. But then we wouldn’t have a show.

I’m a woman in my early 60s, grew up with one of Larry’s co-writers and producers for Seinfeld, and am merrily enjoying this fiasco. Nobody could do this better than Tracey, in my opinion.

• Love 9

Tracey Ullman has elevated every scene she’s been in this season, which is no surprise. Larry David’s vision of Irma was supposed to be this revolting undesirable woman, and while yes she displays those qualities at times, I’m actually rooting for her because of the revolting man she’s dealing with, and her daughter watching that security footage of Larry’s awful behavior proved that. So if anything, it’s had the opposite effect of what Larry intended. And I’m sure at some point Larry will earn another well deserved comeuppance from Irma.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Why should she have moved up?  Who gives a shit?  I really don't like encroaching on people's territory when I'm behind them in line.  They're using their PIN numbers, etc. and it's not my business.  With COVID, I feel this even more strongly.

I'm surprised that a regular Curb viewer doesn't get how leaving that much space in a line would annoy someone. It annoys me and it's a common annoyance. She was further than 6 feet and she apparently wasn't doing it because of social distancing - she would have said so. It was hilarious that race was brought into it -  social commentary about how a lot of these things escalate in recent years. And it was all just plain funny. Larry could have written in someone whipping out a phone and making a viral video. But it's good he didn't - would have been too involved a plot and Larry wrote it well - moving on to the discussion with Leon. Hilarious stuff.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, LindaT said:

I thought that since Maria Sophia assaulted Ted and Cheryl, that that would cancel out the gate issue (if you don't sue me, the Danson's won't press charges) and Larry would be free to fire her.

When Hulu saw the video, they loved Maria, and made sure she was cast. That's way funnier.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:08 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

and Larry is presented as the prize, though, right? 

I have never seen Larry presented as any kind of prize. I mean the whole series revolves around how unlikable & rude Larry is. That's not how I would describe a "prize." He always presents himself in a highly unfavorable light. I think you are reading way too much into the Irma scenes. She’s gross because of her gross behavior, not because of her age. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 7
On 12/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Why should she have moved up?  Who gives a shit?  I really don't like encroaching on people's territory when I'm behind them in line.  They're using their PIN numbers, etc. and it's not my business.  With COVID, I feel this even more strongly.

Because it's a really annoying behavior that aggravates everyone behind you. No one was at a bank, they were in a store waiting to buy something. (And in the show universe, COVID is over.) It causes the line behind you to be longer than it needs to, and lets people think they can cut in front.

• Love 1

Just rewatched S07.E05, where Larry meets a handicapped woman.

He was going to break up with her but then saw that she got a lot of benefits, like handicapped parking, moving up to the front of the queue for restaurants, being thought of as a good guy -- he had been disinvited from his party for suggesting that the party hosts' adopted Chinese daughter had some innate ability to use chopsticks but then got re-invited when they saw Larry with the woman in the wheelchair.

Then Susie throws Larry's Blackberry in the ocean because he almost lets Sammie drown and he can't find her because he only had her number and address in his phone.  But he meets another young, attractive woman in a wheelchair.

He keeps doing awful things, or the show is written that way, that is how he generates comedy from these situations.  But his behavior often backfires on him, again creating more comedy, or at least that is the aim.

Yeah, "Denise Handicapped" was a good one.  

I've been skipping around a lot, watching the old ones. Some of them I know so well, and others I only saw maybe twice, years ago. Yesterday I watched "The Ida Funkhouser Roadside Memorial," in which Larry gets into an argument at the ice-cream store with a woman played by Robin Bartlett, who's trying sample after sample and holding up the line. Unfortunately, she turns out to be the dean of the school that the Greenes are trying to get Sammy into and the Davids are trying to get the Black children into. He tries to make up with everyone by stealing three bouquets from Marty's newly-deceased mom's memorial: one for Cheryl, one for Loretta, and one for Robin the dean to go with an in-person apology. But Marty has been counting the bouquets and realizes three are missing, and of course, that's just the beginning of the hijinks.  

I hate to say it, but when I watch the old episodes, even though I've seen them before, I laugh more than I do at the new ones.

I love those scenes in which Cheryl gently punctures Larry's bullshit.

C:  "Just say I'm sorry, we love the school, and... and leave." 

L (condescendingly): "You don't need to tell me how to apologize to people. I've been apologizing to people since I'm six years old on a daily basis. I pretty much have it down." 

C: "And is it always effective? Your apologies?" 

L (uncomfortable pause): "Pretty effective." 

22 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

Larry could have written in someone whipping out a phone and making a viral video. But it's good he didn't - would have been too involved a plot and Larry wrote it well - moving on to the discussion with Leon.

Plus, an ep or two ago they just did the viral video thing with Larry and the woman driver fighting

5 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

Yesterday I watched "The Ida Funkhouser Roadside Memorial," in which Larry gets into an argument at the ice-cream store with a woman played by Robin Bartlett, who's trying sample after sample and holding up the line.

No. You get to call them out on that. That's abusing the system. Or, let people behind you go if they know what they want. 

• Love 1
On 12/13/2021 at 5:25 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes.  And I think older men like younger women so they don't have to face how old they are, themselves.  

I think it is way deeper than that. They find younger women much more appealing and many are repulsed by older women. These men have huge egos and they never think of themselves as nothing but "babe magnets." They do not care how old they are. They are only interested in being with a woman that arouses them in one way. Trust me, I know. 

They are snickering and critical and entitled. Trust me, i know these men. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Because it's a really annoying behavior that aggravates everyone behind you. No one was at a bank, they were in a store waiting to buy something. (And in the show universe, COVID is over.) It causes the line behind you to be longer than it needs to, and lets people think they can cut in front.

People use PINs to buy things where I live.  Personally I find the aggravation to be irrational.

4 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

I hate to say it, but when I watch the old episodes, even though I've seen them before, I laugh more than I do at the new ones.

Not many shows are still as great as ever in their 11th season.  I think many would agree with you there were definitely glory years of "Curb".

In one way, I don't think they've taken Irma's character far enough.

They've mentioned gas several times, but not any farts.  If gas is mentioned, there should be a fart.  I was waiting for a fart scene. 

They've mentioned other digestive problems, to the extent that a colonoscopy was scheduled.

They could then get into whether it was a loud but odorless one, or a silent but stinky one.

Leon would probably have an opinion on which one is worse.

Also, I think it would be funnier if both Larry and Irma were repulsive to each other, but oblivious to their own.  Instead of Larry not having any weird qualities when he's with Irma, he should have his own version of needing a retainer, or wanting a kiss with food in his mouth.  And, just like Irma is either oblivious, or undermines their impact, Larry should also act like he's not ashamed or embarrassed by doing these things

In a way, it's also more realistic, since they're older.

So, I think it would be funnier if they were both weird like that with each other, yet both continued to pursue the relationship.

Seeing both of them act like that, yet continue to be with each other, would be funny.

Lastly, in some ways, I think it's easier for Larry, that Irma wants sex, or wants to be watched while showering.  Because imagine the kind of things he'd have to do, if she didn't want those.  It would be the equivalent to canvassing for days, etc.  Larry might not be excited about sex, or watching Irma shower, but at least those are short in duration.  They don't require doing something for days.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Oh wow, are you in for a treat. She's an icon, and I'm not exaggerating. 

What else have you liked by her?

Edited by nuraman00
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

They've mentioned gas several times, but not any farts.  If gas is mentioned, there should be a fart.  I was waiting for a fart scene. 

Gas *bubble*. It's Chekov's gas. It's coming. 

Ullman is great in everything. She's at her best in her own shows, of which she's had several, where she's in charge of the content and writing. 

• Love 3

Aside from her own sketch/variety show (one of Fox's first four prime-time series, and the only successful one aside from Married with Children), I've mostly seen Ullman giving "straight" performances in supporting roles: the Meryl Streep movie Plenty, the Kenneth Lonergan-written miniseries version of Howards End in which she played Aunt Juley, Woody Allen's Bullets over BroadwayBullets was a comedy, but Ullman's part called for more realistic acting, compared to the larger-than-life characters played by Dianne Wiest and Jennifer Tilly. 

What she's doing on Curb is a good balance between realism and farce. She has an impressive range.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

Aside from her own sketch/variety show (one of Fox's first four prime-time series, and the only successful one aside from Married with Children)

Which also gave birth to the Simpsons.

She also had a pretty good sketch comedy show on HBO a few years back. 

I have only watched the first episode of the current season thus far.  I was waiting to just binge the rest all at once.  But I have to say the first episode felt a little off and I did not find it nearly as funny as previous seasons.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

😂

27 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

Woody Allen's Bullets over BroadwayBullets was a comedy, but Ullman's part called for more realistic acting, compared to the larger-than-life characters played by Dianne Wiest and Jennifer Tilly. 

Thanks, I'm now more interested in this movie.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

She's at her best in her own shows, of which she's had several

Which of her shows should I watch, and what platforms are they on?

Or which is the easiest to find?

If I need to buy digital or physical media for them, I might do that.

1 hour ago, nuraman00 said:

Lastly, in some ways, I think it's easier for Larry, that Irma wants sex, or wants to be watched while showering.  Because imagine the kind of things he'd have to do, if she didn't want those.  It would be the equivalent to canvassing for days, etc.  Larry might not be excited about sex, or watching Irma shower, but at least those are short in duration.  They don't require doing something for days.

I could imagine that if Irma didn't want sex, or to be seen showering, then Larry would have to take a longer road.

I could imagine that he'd have to read "Little Women" to her, completely, before she'd consider the ordinance change.

Sex, and letting her live with him, seems like a quicker path.

Also, I'd imagine that if this show is realistic, she'd figure out that he wants the ordinance changed for himself, and that is why he's being nice to her.  I don't think she'd get through the entire ordinance change process, without realizing his motives.

Maybe she accepts them, because she loves him, but the thought should at least enter her mind at some point.

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Ok, I've got it.

They're taking the vote for the ordinance change.

Irma lets out a stinky fart, and they have to take a recess.  That's how the season ends.

Get the same actor who was trapped in the smelly car in Seinfeld.

Edited by nuraman00

Tracey was also in Robin Hood: Men in Tights and this one episode of Will and Grace I like where she played the teacher at a cooking class.

I hate that kind of bodily humour that Curb thankfully avoids.  I hope they don't go that route.

• Love 2

Just saw a news item that anti-vaxxer Robert F. Kennedy Jr. held holiday gatherings and asked invitees to get vaccinated or tested for Covid before attending.

He blamed it on his wife for the vaccination and testing requirements.

His wife?  Cheryl Hines.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/14/2021 at 7:27 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think that Irma mentioned loving to consume pickles, which might affect her perspiration aromatics or even just her pore output?

Get off my lawn. I’m older than 10 Irmas and can’t remember anything.

A classmate of mine in elementary school ate salami sandwiches every day and, in my opinion, it affected her “aroma.”

Bing!  I just watched a movie this morning where the suave older Frenchman advises his young American lover that imbibing a tisane made of mint, rosemary and rosewater will result in fragrant "bodily juices."

Ixnay on the pickle brine.

• LOL 3
On 12/14/2021 at 7:27 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

A classmate of mine in elementary school ate salami sandwiches every day and, in my opinion, it affected her “aroma.”

Some woman has written a book about sweat, and I heard an interview where she said there was a nurse whose sweat was red and it was staining her clothes.  She went to multiple doctors but was healthy and nobody could figure out why her sweat was red, and it was finally determined that the red was coming from the MANY bags of some sort of spicy chips she ate tons of every day. 

Bodies be weird.

• LOL 3
On 12/17/2021 at 12:26 AM, nuraman00 said:

Which of her shows should I watch, and what platforms are they on?

Or which is the easiest to find?

If I need to buy digital or physical media for them, I might do that.

On youtube search for “Tracey Ullman Show” Special Skills, part 1 and part 2.

It’s very good. Unfortunately, it’s not streaming.

You will also pull up shorts of her doing impressions of Judi Dench, Camilla Parker Bowles, etc.

• Love 1
On 12/1/2021 at 2:38 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

F-A-T positive.

Does Seth Rogan ever do accents?

I just realized I've never had a woman optometrist in decades of having my eyes examined. Not sure how to interpret that since it was not a deliberate choice. Maybe the profession is predominantly compromised of men?

Mine is a woman (too young even for Larry) and I LOVE her.

• LOL 1

Predictable. 

Kind of tedious plot with Igor, Timor, etc.

Tracey elevated this episode.

“I love my daughter, but….”

I wonder if Tracey deliberately did something to make her breath rancid, or if Larry is actually a decent actor.

I would think Irma would drive an electric car.

“I gotta stop googling ‘vagina’!”

“… when you stand up…” “… Shut the f- - - up!”

Those hand gestures when she asked Susie whether or not her surgeon addressed her labia.

“It looked like a melted cave.”

So that was a $10K leopard-print vase.

• Love 2

Meh. I liked the Jeff/Larry exchanges in which they "talked about nothing." Bill Hader was good as the three probably related guys, although the material wasn't so hot. Tracey Ullman, likewise. But I didn't think this one was very good. 

"Fun fact": This is the third episode titled "Someone, Someone and Someone." Season 3 had "Mary, Joseph and Larry," and season 10 had "Elizabeth, Margaret and Larry." And all three were near the end of a season. 

Garlin sounded unusually hoarse this week. Maybe he had been screaming at HR people. 

The Young Larry plot that's supposed to tie the season together came out of the gate strong in the first few episodes, but it hasn't been threaded through in a satisfying way. I know there's a finale still to come, but I was looking forward to the show finding more humor in Larry trying to make a sitcom in 2021 for a streaming service. 

The problem with having all the old episodes on HBO Max to dip into randomly through the week is that when a routine gets reused, it's fresh in my mind instead of something dimly recalled from 2006. A funnier version of the "resting or sleeping?" argument was in the season 7 premiere. Larry got into it with Auntie Rae when she said Loretta (who had cancer) was "resting" and she wouldn't disturb her.

The Greenes have such a peculiar marriage. Susie goes into rages even to the point of assaulting Antoinette's elderly mother when she suspects Jeff of being unfaithful, although Susie too has been shown sleeping around. She verbally abuses him, but he stays with her because she says she'll bankrupt him and make him rue the day he met her if he mentions divorce. But if he buys her a new vase (or elective surgery, or house) he can get back into her good graces for a while when she uncovers his latest affair...assuming the normal version that calls him a fat fuck is "good graces." It was weird to me that they were chatting in bed in their last scene. I was expecting him to be living in a hotel for a while, as he has in the past when they had a big flare-up.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

Meh. I liked the Jeff/Larry exchanges in which they "talked about nothing." 

Garlin sounded unusually hoarse this week. Maybe he had been screaming at HR people. 

The problem with having all the old episodes on HBO Max to dip into randomly through the week is that when a routine gets reused, it's fresh in my mind instead of something dimly recalled from 2006.

The Greenes have such a peculiar marriage.

True dat. In the car. At the trunk/boot of the car. I’m going to rewatch because you posted this. The Fun Fact exchange was amusing but seemed forced/scripted. 

Buh-dump-duh.

See, I remembered from Milan to Minsk and “Rochelle, Rochelle”, from Scheinfeld, but I have no memory whatsoever of Curb S7.

Susie should demand lots of real estate. Or have they already done that. Is the daughter in college now?

• Love 2

Jeff and Susie's daughter got married a few seasons ago. She'd be in her mid-twenties by now!

I didn't like this episode that much, but I'll give Bill Hader a lot of credit. It's not easy to play three people and make them all seem very similar, but also make them different enough that they're easily distinguishable.

There's no reason Larry can't tell Maria Sofia and her father to get off his chair. What are they going to do, sue him? Then he'd fire her instantly.

I actually like Irma. I hope she passes the swimming pool resolution, then realizes what Larry was up to, and then extracts revenge somehow. Maybe by insisting that she be cast on the show!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

True dat. In the car. At the trunk/boot of the car. I’m going to rewatch because you posted this. The Fun Fact exchange was amusing but seemed forced/scripted. 

Buh-dump-duh.

See, I remembered from Milan to Minsk and “Rochelle, Rochelle”, from Scheinfeld, but I have no memory whatsoever of Curb S7.

Susie should demand lots of real estate. Or have they already done that. Is the daughter in college now?

Sammy showed up in the last episode. She was the one with the floating walls to be hung that Leon House Husband-ed. I wouldn't have out that together if I didn't watch the credits though.

Seeing Bill Hader reminded me I'm ready for Season 3 of "Barry"

• Useful 2
9 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Jeff and Susie's daughter got married a few seasons ago. She'd be in her mid-twenties by now!

Yep. 26 or 27. For a show that isn't always great with the continuity, Sammi/Sammy's age was something they did pretty well with. She was said to be seven in 2002, when Larry inadvertently got her drunk and took her dog away. She was said to be "like, eleven years old" in 2005, when Larry was appalled that Jeff and Susie were still doing the "tooth fairy" routine with her.

So I'm considering 1994 her birth-year canon. Ashly Holloway, who has always played her, is just slightly older (29). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Larry complained to Irma that a swimming pool fence would cost him $5,000.

But he promised to pay for her vagina rejuvenation surgery, which would cost more?  Guess it would be worth it to him if it keeps Irma from mounting him for a couple of months.

Larry ended up paying for parts or all of two vases, including double the price from Igor, who wanted some of Larry's shplendid Sheinfeld shyndication money!

BTW, some Eastern European languages have prevalent sh- sounds?

Only Jeff works yet Susie is the dominant one in the relationship.  But she has to keep demanding pricey things to keep the domestic peace?

Jeff seems to be the type who'd go for a trophy wife, younger, less combative, less scary.

Edited by aghst
  • LOL 1

Bad miles, ha ha. Irma is putting those city miles on Larry.

Foofoo sugery on Irma equals lotsa, lotsa, lotsa work.

People say "shplendid" at least twice a day. It's fact!

A vagina-viewing party. Yikes. That which has been seen cannot be unseen. (Melted cave. 😖)

$10k for a vase? AFAIC it better be made of solid gold for that kind of money.

A fun fact that is neither fun nor a fact.

Why does Larry keep putting the vahz in the trunk? Prop it up in the back seat with the seat belt around it.

I'm finding it more than a bit creepy to see Jeff Garlin now, especially in that scene when Susie was talking about getting a vagina rejuvenation. 😒

Tracey Ullman better get an Emmy for this role. Just when you think Irma can't get any worse she goes next level awful and Tracey makes it believable.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Was the antique shop owner not willing to sell the vase AT ALL or just not to Jeff and Larry?  Because Larry could have sent Susie into the shop, or anyone else.

I don't like seeing Jeff either.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

But he promised to pay for her vagina rejuvenation surgery, which would cost more?  Guess it would be worth it to him if it keeps Irma from mounting him for a couple of months.

The cost of all this stuff is immaterial.  He wants the swimming pool fence law to be struck down so that the father of the woman who is acting on "Young Larry" can no longer sue/exploit him for not having a fence around his pool.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, aghst said:

I think it's pretty clear Larry cares about the "principle" of things - the perk of being filthy rich.  He's willing to be in a relationship with a woman he finds repulsive, pay for surgery, etc. just because he thinks the fence law is unjust (and somehow can be waived retroactively) so he'd rather blow time, money, and mental energy on overturning it rather than spend a cent on just building the stupid fence and moving on with his life.

• Love 5

I don't think Larry is concerned about the cost of the fence at all. That was just his explanation for Irma as to why the law is unjust - because it forces people to spend so much money.

Speaking of money, I honestly thought the vase would be worth a lot more, considering how much money the Greenes throw around, and how Jeff described the cost as astronomical. $10,000 is astronomical for most of us, but not for the people in Larry's social circles.

I really hope that on any future seasons of the show, they stop giving Jeff sexual plotlines. Just let him and Larry be friends, and let him bicker with Susie about non-sexual subjects.

• Love 3