Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

If you mean not having the fence around the pool, it's the first one. The guy breaks in and falls into the pool and drowns. He's the cousin of the guy who owns the Mexican restaurant who blackmails Larry into casting Sofia. 

Thank you very much.

I'm watching the latest episode where Larry and Irma are socializing and it's allllllll coming back to me now.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, LoveLeigh said:

Who played Dierdre, the daughter of Irma?

“Dee-druh, not Deer-druh… Interesting….”

Although closed-captioning messed up once with a “Dierdre.”

Wasn’t there a Dedra on a soap opera once? It ruined me. Now I am always second-guessing the name.

6 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

Who played Dierdre, the daughter of Irma?

And, it was Irma who should have been repulsed by Larry. But of course he does it the other way around. 

Madeline Wise was Deidre. She looked familiar to me, but I haven't actually seen any of the other things on her IMDb. 

Irma did imply that she wasn't at all physically attracted to Larry, but was willing to "get past" the surface if he could get along with her daughter. So maybe it's a combination of her being less superficial than Larry is and also her having the 13-year dry spell she so graphically described.  

I don't know if it's a mood I was in, or they reminded me of a couple for whom I sat through long, grueling, saccharine-sweet, very TMI vows (yes...partly that), or what, but I couldn't stand Deidre and Scott. I hated them as much as I hated the couple in season 1 who demanded to meet Julia Louis-Dreyfus before they would sign the paper to get the wire buried. 

Horatio Sanz played the plumber. There's an entire SNL cast to be made up of past Curb guest stars who were on SNL earlier in their careers: Ana Gasteyer, Brad Hall, Tim Kazurinsky, Michael McKean, Tim Meadows, Kevin Nealon, Laraine Newman, Cheri Oteri, Chris Parnell, Martin Short, David Spade. And Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but it's hard for me to think of her in the same group. That may not even be a complete list.

I'm sure this episode was in the can and ready to go before August of this year, but I'm glad Sanz didn't have a bigger role. He's accused of sexual assault and related crimes dating back to his SNL days.

Edit: Speaking of timing, I'm so glad I have no stake in the fortunes of Peloton. The dust hasn't even settled from And Just Like That... and now they're implicated in Larry's ball-bruising experience.

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What episode has this pool subplot?  I can't find it in the Irma episode.

Funny how Irma is the most repugnant person that Larry has ever met.  Doesn't exactly help his case that he can stand a woman over 50.

Episode 1 of this season.

2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Tracey Ullman is a goddess.

Her bruschetta scene was sublime.

She has no ego or vanity. 

Brine.

I have never seen Ullman act before.

She's great.

That was good, when she scratched her butt while walking away, early in the episode.

• Love 3

Does Ullman get royalties or any official credit, for The Simpsons?  I never see her name in the credits.  Not even a "created by".

Or, did Matt Groeing create it, and use The Tracy Ullman show, as a means to debut the family?

33 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

Or, did Matt Groeing create it, and use The Tracy Ullman show, as a means to debut the family?

That. The producer of Ullman's show was James L. Brooks (of The Mary Tyler Moore ShowTerms of Endearment, etc.), and Brooks asked Groening to create an animated family for short segments. Ullman wasn't creatively involved in that part of her show. 

Just after The Tracey Ullman Show ran its course in the early '90s, Ullman sued Fox (not Brooks or Groening), because she felt the language in her contract entitled her to a share of the enormous profits from merchandising of the Simpsons characters. The jury sided with the network.

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

“Dee-druh, not Deer-druh… Interesting….”

Although closed-captioning messed up once with a “Dierdre.”

Wasn’t there a Dedra on a soap opera once? It ruined me. Now I am always second-guessing the name.

Diedre Hall on "Days of Our Lives", she played Marlena.

I wanted to type it as "Deirdre" but Google says that is wrong.

7 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

Madeline Wise was Deidre. She looked familiar to me, but I haven't actually seen any of the other things on her IMDb. 

She is very familiar to me too.  I wonder if she has a sibling or doppelganger who acts, because that face is way too familiar and I do not know her work.  She's so statuesque like Rebecca Hall or Dua Lipa.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1

Filibustress. Sounds kinky. 😏

Why doesn't Larry put Leon on the Maria Sofia problem?

Larry talking ish about Little Women. But I kinda get it because I also was not a fan of that book.

Yeah, I don't get bruschetta either. Is it really worth the messiness? I almost feel the same way about tostadas.

Lol, Larry really wants that pool fence law changed because Irma is a lot. A whole lot. Tracey Ullman is killing it.

Irma moving into Larry's house even temporarily spells trouble. I'm scared for him.

Susie taking no prisoners. Ba-da bump.

Diedre Hall on "Days of Our Lives", she played Marlena.

She still does, intermittently. Deidre's playing a Marlena version of Satan right now.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I really didn't expect him to have such strong opinions about it.

The fact that he watched 4 different adaptations (supposedly) and picked his favourite Jo?  He named all the actors!  LOL!  Or he could have just looked them up on IMDb and watched trailers!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I really didn't expect him to have such strong opinions about it.

I'd be surprised if Larry didn't have a strong opinion about something. He's got feelings about everything from standing too far back in line to tucking your sweater into your pants.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I've followed such interesting discussion here about Larry David's predilection for casting much younger women as his girlfriends.

So I don't know what to make of Show Larry finally dating an age-appropriate woman (ulterior motives notwithstanding) but in reality the actress is a very attractive younger woman made up to look Larry's age.

WTF.   Is Larry afraid of old lady cooties?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

She played Pete's wild card girlfriend in the third season of Crashing. At least that's where I recognised her from. I thought she did a great job here. Her and the Husbands reactions while Larry was "making himself at home" were great and the whole segment had me it stitches. I also loved the button with, "I'm going to have to call my mother and tell her how much I like him"

• Love 3
3 hours ago, candall said:

I've followed such interesting discussion here about Larry David's predilection for casting much younger women as his girlfriends.

So I don't know what to make of Show Larry finally dating an age-appropriate woman (ulterior motives notwithstanding) but in reality the actress is a very attractive younger woman made up to look Larry's age.

WTF.   Is Larry afraid of old lady cooties?

Tracey Ullman is turning 62 in a couple of weeks, so we're not talking about a 30 year old covered in old age makeup.  They definitely frumped her up, but that fits what they're going for with the character.  Irma being an attractive, charming woman of any age wouldn't make sense.

• Love 1

I think the whole 'racist' with the line was ridiculous, but it was worth it for Leon's monologue afterwards. I'm glad Ullman made a second appearance. She's way too valuable for a one time shot.

The House Husband idea was absolutely brilliant.  I think Leon actually stole the show this time. 

5 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I'd be surprised if Larry didn't have a strong opinion about something. He's got feelings about everything from standing too far back in line to tucking your sweater into your pants.

That's the entire premise of the show. What topic wouldn't he have an opinion on. 

15 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

I have never seen Ullman act before.

She's great.

Oh wow, are you in for a treat. She's an icon, and I'm not exaggerating. 

17 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Her bruschetta scene was sublime.

It looked like she was going to break with the crack about the Sahara. The two of them eating was just fantastic. They're totally right though about the tomatoes falling all over the place. 

I know it's only for the show, but Larry's allowed to have an opinion on Little Women. I actually like when the show goes in this direction - it's not as funny when Larry is just obnoxious for the sake of it; when he's actually correct, there's a lot more hum or ro mine. They had the sweater this time, Little Women; it reminds me of the pig parker. 

Why would Jeff and Susie be at the anniversary party?

'Gem of a retort' is a brilliant line. I loved that Susie couldn't stand it. 

Larry's going a long way for this pool fence even for him!

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2

None of Larry's relationships with younger women have been nearly as implausible as Jeff having an affair with that lovely young assistant.

Larry really seems like he's mentally incompetent. He's so desperate to get the law overturned that he'll have miserable sex with a woman who repels him in every conceivable way. But heading to a coffee shop for an hour is too much for him? Even though he needs the daughter to approve of him in order to stay in Irma's life, and she's made it clear she doesn't want him there?

I can buy that Larry will screw himself over sometimes because he's so stubborn about fighting his social battles. But this is a level of stupidity that suggests he needs to see a neurologist immediately.

• Love 2

Deirdre and Scott watching Larry on the surveillance camera was hilarious! This episode was so much better than the rest of this season! Finally it seemed like classic Curb. And I love that now Susie knows about Jeff’s affair. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The fact that he watched 4 different adaptations (supposedly) and picked his favourite Jo?  He named all the actors!  LOL!  Or he could have just looked them up on IMDb and watched trailers!

Five adaptations! He named four Jo Marches of movies plus Susan Dey, of the three-hour-plus '78 miniseries. 

Yeah, he had that "lying Larry" voice. On the background of eleven seasons of him, there's no way I believe he spent more than eleven hours on Little Women just to make a better impression on Deidre. He probably just memorized the names of the Jos. 

2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

None of Larry's relationships with younger women have been nearly as implausible as Jeff having an affair with that lovely young assistant.

I dunno. We've seen evidence in the past that Jeff leverages his "successful Hollywood agent" status to further his extramarital shenanigans. One example is that beautiful actress who was new to L.A. and wanted Larry to go with her to the incest group. Jeff was slurping scotch in a hotel room with her and then getting them into a drunk road accident within about an hour of meeting her. The stars whom Jeff has name-dropped, either as existing clients or as people he's meeting with to discuss it, suggest he is supposed to be something of a power player in Curb-world. So that's how I assumed it went. "Have you ever acted? You have an incredible look! You remind me of [brunette It Girl from the '90s] when I first saw her. Are you doing anything after work? I'd love to talk about it!" 

• Love 3

Larry really seems like he's mentally incompetent. He's so desperate to get the law overturned that he'll have miserable sex with a woman who repels him in every conceivable way. But heading to a coffee shop for an hour is too much for him? Even though he needs the daughter to approve of him in order to stay in Irma's life, and she's made it clear she doesn't want him there?

I can buy that Larry will screw himself over sometimes because he's so stubborn about fighting his social battles. But this is a level of stupidity that suggests he needs to see a neurologist immediately.

Many of the relationships are implausible.  They try to mine comedy out of them.

In this episode, it's Jeff trying to avoid being caught with the lilac body wash but giving the game away with the ba-dum-bop, which Larry objects to.

House Husband was Leon opining on things he had no business opining about.  When Larry opines on things, he's annoying but Leon's blunders are going to cost several people thousands of dollars.

THat Larry would bed Irma is absurd.  He may want the Hulu show but not that bad.  Worse comes to worse, he could buy off the father of the bad actress.

Trying to remember if Larry has done things he doesn't want to do.  I guess he's gone along with things that Cheryl demanded, like having the Blacks live in their house, putting up with the recycled toilet paper.

But I don't think Larry David is interested in some coherent characterization of the LD character or him having a specific philosophy.  LD will be malleable to whatever he thinks will produce the best comedy.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Tracey Ullman is turning 62 in a couple of weeks, so we're not talking about a 30 year old covered in old age makeup.  They definitely frumped her up, but that fits what they're going for with the character.  Irma being an attractive, charming woman of any age wouldn't make sense.

You do see that Larry David is 13 years older than Tracey, yet Irma is presented as disgusting, and Larry is presented as the prize, though, right?  It goes to how Larry views women over 50.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

On the background of eleven seasons of him, there's no way I believe he spent more than eleven hours on Little Women just to make a better impression on Deidre. He probably just memorized the names of the Jos. 

Larry's not going to put in too much effort, but with streaming, etc., I think he probably FF-ed through most and just picked out things here and there. He's smart enough to know what to do to get by. He just had to mildly impress the daughter. And, actually, when you think about it, she's probably not as astute as she's making out to be anyway. She really didn't have much rebuttal to Larry in either instance other than to take umbrage of him painting them as twee, and the jumped on him for just remarking about the bangs, which he should have seen coming. That's where the show is at its best - the people Larry encounter really aren't much better than him, but they have a sort of entitlement or audacity that they're much more genuine than Larry when he calls them out. The lady in line was a good example too. She could have just said, "I'm social distancing"; but immediately lashed back at Larry, who really was reasonably polite in asking her to move up. 

Larry playing Irma is going to completely blow up. I cannot wait to see how hard they go off the rails. 

I also did like that he filled in Susie on the situation with the Hulu show. I'm not sure she's going to be inclined to get involved if she thinks Larry was in on covering the affair though. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The lady in line was a good example too. She could have just said, "I'm social distancing"; but immediately lashed back at Larry, who really was reasonably polite in asking her to move up. 

Why should she have moved up?  Who gives a shit?  I really don't like encroaching on people's territory when I'm behind them in line.  They're using their PIN numbers, etc. and it's not my business.  With COVID, I feel this even more strongly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You do see that Larry David is 13 years older than Tracey, yet Irma is presented as disgusting, and Larry is presented as the prize, though, right?  It goes to how Larry views women over 50.

No Tracy Ullman is playing her as unappealing in certain ways.

The way she eats, the way she barks at him, the way she scratches herself.

It's not age alone that is suppose to make her disgusting.

He didn't make one comment about her age as the reason why he's repelled.

• Love 6

So it's just a coincidence that the first time in 11 seasons that a major female guest star is over 50, and she's presented this way.  That's certainly one way to look at it.

Larry found Irma disgusting from her first episode, before knowing any of those things about her.  He said something like she's the most repugnant person he's ever met.  And what was her crime?  She didn't want to tap the person in front of her in service to him.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, aghst said:

Trying to remember if Larry has done things he doesn't want to do.  I guess he's gone along with things that Cheryl demanded, like having the Blacks live in their house, putting up with the recycled toilet paper.

Occasionally we see him giving in to pressure or listening to the voice that says "Do the nice thing" when it's something he doesn't want to do. Calling a bigwig in the TV business to put in a good word for someone who's trying to change jobs. Helping a blind man move. Finding a pool for a maintenance man and his family to swim in. Donating a kidney -- it was one of his closest friends, but he was reluctant and went to great lengths to get out of it.

The show's point of view seems to be that ingratitude, persecution, and misery are our lot, the inevitable consequence of any choice.

• Useful 1

A couple decades worth of CYE guests talk about their experiences and the improvisation process. Kightlinger: "It didn’t stay in, but at the end, when Jon Hamm was yelling [at Albert Brooks, for hoarding pandemic supplies] and saying, 'How could you do that?' Albert said, 'Mad Men doesn’t hold up!!!'" 

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/11/19/22789464/curb-your-enthusiasm-cameos-oral-history

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Regardless, if you can't see that Ullman is playing the character in a certain way, that's your prerogative but it's pretty obvious.

She must not be too worried about how older women characters may come off.

9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Deirdre and Scott watching Larry on the surveillance camera was hilarious! This episode was so much better than the rest of this season! Finally it seemed like classic Curb. And I love that now Susie knows about Jeff’s affair. 

I actually thought what Larry was doing and what D & S were saying was very amusing, but they didn’t seem to be improvising? And did they, in fact, ever tell Larry to make himself at home? Maybe I should rewatch….

Edited by hoodooznoodooz

Samuel and Larry bonded over the vows, but isn’t that the standard? The vows at weddings and vow renewals: they’re sickening. You expect it and let it go.

Larry’s acting skills are better than I knew before.

Are all homes in Los Angeles so beautiful? 

Yeah, it made no sense for Susie and Jeff to be guests. Also, has Susie met Jeff? He doesn’t pursue women who present the way Tracey presents Irma. And she knows Jeff is clever. And slippery.

It was painful to view the closet water damage. What a gorgeous, organized shared closet.

I would think most residents in such a lovely neighborhood would opt for a beautiful gate/fence enclosing the entire backyard, no? That’s what they do in middle-class New Jersey. Does that not meet the requirements of the LA ordinance?

Leon eating Cheerios.

My son has been playing Magic the Gathering. Whenever he or the other players say, “… tap that…” I always hear Leon say, “a s s.”

3 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Yeah, it made no sense for Susie and Jeff to be guests. Also, has Susie met Jeff? He doesn’t pursue women who present the way Tracey presents Irma. And she knows Jeff is clever. And slippery.

Didn't Susie also accuse Jeff of going after Antoinette's mother?  Antoinette being Larry's old assistant?  

Episode:  "The Smiley Face":  Susie spots Jeff consoling Antoinette’s mother over her husband’s death and attacks her, under the impression that she’s the one with whom Jeff has been having an affair. 

That woman was probably 70 years old, and Susie still suspected her.  I don't think Susie uses that much logic and deduction in her jealousy, and I don't blame her.

• Useful 1

When Larry and Leon were driving and he got a text from Cheryl about needing House Husband, they held for a while on Larry's phone screen and it said "Cheryl Hines."

There's some debate as to whether that was a goof or whether -- in the world of the show -- "Hines" is Cheryl's maiden name and she's gone back to it. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would be done thoughtlessly. 

I don't recall ever hearing her maiden name to contradict it. I don't recall either of her parents ever getting a first name, let alone a last one. They were always just credited as "Cheryl's Mom" and "Cheryl's Dad" at the end. (Now, anyone want to go deep trivia and tell me, "In the episode about the Christ nail, Larry calls the mother Beverly"?)  

Now, I can easily tell you Cheryl's dead aunt's full name, because there was a detailed obituary. Louise Hoenin, devoted sister, beloved...uh, aunt!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Deirdre and Scott watching Larry on the surveillance camera was hilarious!

It was like watching a nanny cam stream of your toddler when you set them down for bed and they don't want to go to sleep yet. That's it - Larry is just a big toddler!

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

Larry and Jeff definitely think older women will give them worms.

What was the thing about brine? What does brine smell like? I thought it was just salt water?

Larry and Jeff can get the flip out of here. 

I think that Irma mentioned loving to consume pickles, which might affect her perspiration aromatics or even just her pore output?

Get off my lawn. I’m older than 10 Irmas and can’t remember anything.

A classmate of mine in elementary school ate salami sandwiches every day and, in my opinion, it affected her “aroma.”

• LOL 1

My take is that Susie has a bunch of mostly offscreen friendships (people we only meet when they come into Larry's orbit -- such as Bridget, the Lauren Graham character with whom she fixed him up). Those other people, such as Deidre, just perceive Susie as this funny, warm Jewish lady who's a doting mom with an offbeat fashion sense. Maybe every once in a while they see her temper when a store clerk is unpleasant or she's talking about something Jeff did/didn't do, but she isn't screaming at them all the time.

But we mostly get her reacting to Jeff and Larry, so...

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

And did they, in fact, ever tell Larry to make himself at home?

The daughter did when she said she was going to take a shower and turned away from Larry. Then Larry looked up and asked the husband if he was going to shower too. 

Goes to show you the generational gap though because I would have looked for cameras or just gone outside. 

I can believe that Susie and Jeff would be at the vow renewal, because Deidre mentioned earlier that she knew Susie. 

I forgot about that. Last week, Susie was a supporter of the mayoral candidate and Irma was there, and then they were all at the election watch. I guess I was thinking more that they're not really friends-friends, but people you know around the way that you'd invite to a party. Larry not being invited at all and coming with Irma makes sense too. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

A couple decades worth of CYE guests talk about their experiences and the improvisation process. Kightlinger: "It didn’t stay in, but at the end, when Jon Hamm was yelling [at Albert Brooks, for hoarding pandemic supplies] and saying, 'How could you do that?' Albert said, 'Mad Men doesn’t hold up!!!'" 

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/11/19/22789464/curb-your-enthusiasm-cameos-oral-history

I eat material like this up like I'm at Thanksgiving. I am fascinated with the technical breakdown of comedy. I also liked how specifically peculiar the guests' roles were. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The lady in line was a good example too. She could have just said, "I'm social distancing"; but immediately lashed back at Larry, who really was reasonably polite in asking her to move up.

But is Covid even in existence in these episodes?  I took the scene as just one of those instances where people leave a giant gap, and if I'm behind them, I always worry someone's going to cut in line because of it.

Not necessarily. I don't have to wear a mask in the grocery store, but I stand behind the person loading their goods on to the belt and wait till it's all rung up before I load my stuff. That's why I thought of it when I watched the scene. 

Larry mentioned covid once this season, but it hasn't been a plot point.