Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, scrb said:

Nobody is forced to watch future seasons of this or any other show.

Some of us would rather watch new CYE seasons.

I would take as many seasons as Larry wants to give us!  I'm grateful every single year he comes back.  This show has brought so much joy to my life.  I rewatch the seasons often!

• Love 8

I'd also watch CYE as long as LD continues to put it on. My boyfriend and I just started watching from the beginning. It's a rewatch for me, but the first time for him. We're really enjoying it!

I said, "Prettayy, prettayy, prettayy good," the other day, and he looked at me quizzically. He'd fallen asleep during the third episode, which was the first time Larry says his infamous phrase.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 3/24/2020 at 6:15 AM, MaggieG said:

Sean Penn was looking rough

Not to be snarky, but Mila Kunis isn't aging particularly well, either.  Not unattractive by any means, but she was cuter when she was younger.

I LOL'd when Penn was going on about how the birds had made him calmer, then he turned around and screamed at the one that squawked.  That was the only funny moment in this ep for me.  

This season was a little too unrealistic for me (although it wasn't any more so than the "Fatwa" season was, but in general the show seems to be getting more OTT each season).  Being in property management, I had a quibble with the Mocha Joe story line.  IRL, some retail leases in small shopping centers have language that gives the tenant exclusive rights to sell their product.  Even if Mocha Joe's didn't have that language, no landlord would have let Larry open his store (or any of the other spite stores) because the original tenant would take legal action against them for allowing it.  Larry would have had to have bought the entire shopping center to open his own store, which he certainly had the means to do, but MJ could have still sued him and prevailed.  But then, we wouldn't have had a show...

I did like the notion of Larry buying the house next door to him to control who lived there.  I read that Mark Zuckerberg bought 4 houses surrounding his and then leased them back to the original owners because a developer was going to build on the land and Zuckerberg was opposed to it - if I was able I'd buy my neighbor's house in a heartbeat, just to have some quiet over there.

I'm an LD fan and l'll certainly watch Curb when/if it comes back, but if this is the final season I won't miss it.  

• Love 5
On 3/24/2020 at 10:00 AM, Sam Spayaid said:

This show made me do something that I never thought would be possible - it's made me despise Larry David. Please do NOT do another season! You have obviously forgotten what humor is. For some reason, your Seinfeld days and even your earlier seasons of Curb have all been forgotten. This rubbish you served up was a disgrace and you should be ashamed of yourself to even offer the public such stupid, insulting, childish garbage.

I just can't be bothered listing everything I found wrong with this season. A HUGE disappointment.

I think I still watch this show because of a FOMO on that one funny moment in a sea of unfunny, unlikely, unrelatable, exasperating moments.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think I still watch this show because of a FOMO on that one funny moment in a sea of unfunny, unlikely, unrelatable, exasperating moments.

I hear ya. I think because I loved the old (read that: "funny") episodes so much, I kept hoping to see some of that here but alas....that never made an appearance and instead I found myself either fast forwarding or just plain shutting it off. 

Larry David used to have the ability to take the most everyday ordinary experiences and make them hilarious. What he's been doing lately is showing what a rude, inconsiderate asshole he is and I personally find it annoying and frustrating - anything but hilarious. Obnoxious people like this are everywhere and I really don't need any more of them cluttering up my tv screen.

• Love 6

There’s also hate-watching, which is totally valid. I’m not there yet with Curb (found this season to be anywhere between mediocre and high, but a downward departure from the past nine seasons), but I’ve managed to get there with Shameless.  A lot of it has to do with FOMO, for sure.  But I think people who want the show to be cancelled have just as much of a voice as people who want it to stay.  It’s the validity of the reasons supporting the comments that I look forward to reading, not the stated position. It would be like an echo chamber if only people who praised the show talked about it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

There’s also hate-watching, which is totally valid.

I don't quite agree, but I'll concede the point. It's when the hate side dominates the discussion that it can get boorish. I feel like there should be a separate discussion for full on hate watching because it usually makes people who enjoy the show to be at the end of the hate invariably. 

I like the show because of the improv. I honestly don't care much about the plots. Like Larry going on about whether they want the baby to have a dark complextion. It's a dumb scene but I'd watch an hour of that to see how the actors can keep it going. 

• Love 4
On 3/25/2020 at 12:34 PM, gorgy said:

I think a season where LD has to live through a global pandemic would be comedy gold

It sure is a billion laughs out here.

I wouldn't call this one of the better seasons of CYE, but I'd definitely take it over not having one.

• Love 4

I just think if you want a show to be cancelled, you "cancel" it for yourself by not watching it. (And trust me, I've done it many times!).  I don't really get wanting a show to ACTUALLY be cancelled when it has tons of die-hard fans.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

I watch because I like to see what predicaments Larry gets himself into each week. There's always a grain of truth, and we in my household like to weigh in on if we agree with him, or if he's being ridiculous. I also like the guest stars popping up. It's always fun to see who guests and how funny/good at improv they are. I'll keep watching no matter what Larry does.

• Love 4

I totally agree with my fellow posters on the one hand, since I still think this show is good. On the other hand, I guess I just I kind of bristle at the suggestion that was made up thread that people can just turn off their TVs if they don’t like it.  I think it misses the point of what we’re trying to achieve here.

I think if you have a good reason that a show should be cancelled, it’s valid, even if millions feel otherwise.  I think Law & Order: SVU should be cancelled by the network, because I think its misinformation has a horrible effect.  So I can imagine that some people would think HBO should hang up this show so they can go out on a high(ish) note.  That’s not my head space, but I sympathize with others who feel this way. 

Does anyone know if Larry plays golf in real life?  Because I re-watched The Ugly Section last night (yes, I’m already doing a season 10 re-watch, and it is funnier the second time, save for You’re Not Going to Get Me to Say Anything About Mickie) and LD definitely got the angle of the putter wrong.  Then again, in the second episode, Larry attributed “Millions for defense, but not one penny for tribute” to the Revolutionary War, when it actually came out of the XYZ Affair (yes, I’m bored enough that I looked it up!)

Richard is amazing on the season 10 rewatch.  His one-liners are so good.  At one point he asks Larry if he’s his Jewish puppet master.  Then, when Larry is pushing a scone on him, Richard accuses Larry of being “like an 18th century president on the back of a train,” telling the people there would be a chicken in every pot.  How does he come up with this?  It’s so funny!

To tie this all together, I just think it’s funny, so it stands on its merit, even if there’s a trend downward.  I respect everyone else’s opinion.

• Love 2

I didn't think this was a great season of CYE. But I don't think the highs of season 3 can ever be achieved again. When a show has been on this long, with so many of the same characters and actors, sometimes it's just a matter of the low-hanging fruit long having been picked. I think CYE successfully reinvented itself in seasons 6, 7, and 8, after showing the first signs of staleness in the mid-aughts, and not every great sitcom gets a new lease on life like that. My expectations now are modest. I just enjoy it now for what I can get -- catching up with these people and seeing what minor variations on the formulas can be wrought.  

There was a lot of retreading. I'm being sporting; I'm not counting as retreading things it's impossible to imagine CYE without, like Larry being asked to leave dinner parties, Larry getting into arguments with doctors and wait staff, or plots involving golf. I mean more specific retreading. Racist dog (season 5). Bizarrely ambitious ideas for the bathrooms of a new business (season 3). Larry getting "the help" fired because of high-maintenance bathroom ways, and then being prevailed upon to make it right (Cheri Oteri in season 3, Adrien Martinez here). Bad behavior at a stage play showcasing a prickly English actor (Ricky Gervais in season 8, now Clive Owen). The "insensitivity to a widow" plot with Jane Krakowski was somewhat reminiscent of one with Caroline Aaron.

However, I thought the season rallied for a great final trio of episodes, and so it peaked where it should have. Jon Hamm was one of the best "celebrity playing himself/herself" guests ever, and Hill, Penn and Kunis really lifted the finale. Also, one of my least favorite recurring characters, Cheryl's sister Becky played by Kaitlin Olson, had her best episode ever, and was used in a way I never saw coming.  

So, I haven't moved from my previous position. If there is another season, I'll hope to be around for it.  

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just think if you want a show to be cancelled, you "cancel" it for yourself by not watching it. (And trust me, I've done it many times!).  I don't really get wanting a show to ACTUALLY be cancelled when it has tons of die-hard fans.

Stop, you're both right! 😄 To want a show that brings pleasure to millions to cease bringing pleasure to millions is just mean. But to watch a show for any reason, even hatred, and then giving expression to that hatred is perfectly valid.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/26/2020 at 3:28 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

Richard is amazing on the season 10 rewatch.  His one-liners are so good.  At one point he asks Larry if he’s his Jewish puppet master.  Then, when Larry is pushing a scone on him, Richard accuses Larry of being “like an 18th century president on the back of a train,” telling the people there would be a chicken in every pot.  How does he come up with this?  It’s so funny!

Totally agree.  I've been a fan of Richard Lewis since I attended a taping of Late Night With David Letterman and he was a guest.  His and LD's relationship is one of the best things about Curb, e.g., when they moved the blind guy's couch and when he needed a kidney transplant . 

15 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

There was a lot of retreading. I'm being sporting; I'm not counting as retreading things it's impossible to imagine CYE without, like Larry being asked to leave dinner parties, Larry getting into arguments with doctors and wait staff, or plots involving golf. I mean more specific retreading. Racist dog (season 5). Bizarrely ambitious ideas for the bathrooms of a new business (season 3). Larry getting "the help" fired because of high-maintenance bathroom ways, and then being prevailed upon to make it right (Cheri Oteri in season 3, Adrien Martinez here). Bad behavior at a stage play showcasing a prickly English actor (Ricky Gervais in season 8, now Clive Owen). The "insensitivity to a widow" plot with Jane Krakowski was somewhat reminiscent of one with Caroline Aaron.

There was a Big Johnson story line in one of the early seasons, too.  Speaking of Richard Lewis, he was dating a black woman and was insecure re: the black male stereotype and got LD involved in finding out whether it was true. I don't remember the details but it involved Wanda Sykes and a biracial (another retread) nurse.

• Love 3

I’ll take a CYE episode over most other comedy shows these days. My favorite thing is watching it for moments when the actors break. Jeff did a good job breaking Larry in the locker room, that was a good laugh out loud moment. Richard Lewis is also on the show mostly to crack Larry up, love those moments.
A spite house was the perfect ending for this season.

I sure hope Larry comes back with another season based on the pandemic. I bet he’d really enjoy all the social distancing.

• Love 3
On 3/23/2020 at 8:07 PM, Pearson80 said:

I did not get why the wife was offended that her husband wanted the baby to be dark instead of light. He wants his son to resemble him, the baby will most likely look like him anyway regardless of skin tone, he will be of color...Genetics is freaky and he could come out looking White with no Black features. I think that would have been a funnier bit, if he came out looking White and Larry questions his paternity throwing the couple's marriage into chaos..

That would have been too predictable IMO.

During the season 10 opener, when they show the man applying powdered deodorant to his armpits, I'm reminded of a story that a radio host likes to tell about what he's seen men do in a locker room.

He apparently has seen someone using the air hand dryer to dry their crotch, after showering.

Were there 3 episodes with a newsstand, or two?  "Insufficient Praise" and "Elizabeth, Margaret and Larry" are the two that I remember.

I keep thinking there was one more brief clip with a newsstand, though, in one more episode.

13 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

He apparently has seen someone using the air hand dryer to dry their crotch, after showering.

Please.  Back in the Olden Days, when gyms were open, that wasn't the norm, but it happened enough where I went that it wasn't remarkable.  Guys shaving (faces and heads) naked in front of a mirror, standing naked while they used the hand dryer to dry some article of clothing, and taking "air showers" under the hand dryer to dry off....unfortunately my gym had an over abundance of hand dryers (each of which was as loud as a jet engine - when more than 2 were on at the same time the sound reverberating off the tiled walls sounded like a NASCAR race) so no one ever complained that they weren't being used for the intended purpose; there was usually another one available.

To go to your original point, I don't know how they did it - asbestos genitals? Gives a new meaning to the term "fire crotch".

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 3/23/2020 at 10:07 PM, Pearson80 said:

I did not get why the wife was offended that her husband wanted the baby to be dark instead of light.

Either way, an expressed preference is revealing of unconscious racism. (To which our society is highly woke these days.) For him to want the baby to be dark is to raise the question, "Wait a minute, is there something wrong with whiteness?" For her to ask this question is to raise the complementary question, "Wait a minute, is there something wrong with being black?" The only "safe" (woke) option is to claim that a baby's skin tone doesn't matter at all, whether or not one actually feels this. It's clear from the whole season that Larry has a beef with safeness/wokeness in all its forms, and enjoys flirting with danger to expose it.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Either way, an expressed preference is revealing of unconscious racism. (To which our society is highly woke these days.) For him to want the baby to be dark is to raise the question, "Wait a minute, is there something wrong with whiteness?" For her to ask this question is to raise the complementary question, "Wait a minute, is there something wrong with being black?" The only "safe" (woke) option is to claim that a baby's skin tone doesn't matter at all, whether or not one actually feels this. It's clear from the whole season that Larry has a beef with safeness/wokeness in all its forms, and enjoys flirting with danger to expose it.

If the Black father expressed a preference for his son to be light-skinned revealing himself to be a colorist and that would be a bigger issue than him wanting his son to be dark. Colorism exists in the Black and Latino community. I have yet to see any show tackle that issue..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Please.  Back in the Olden Days, when gyms were open, that wasn't the norm, but it happened enough where I went that it wasn't remarkable.  Guys shaving (faces and heads) naked in front of a mirror, standing naked while they used the hand dryer to dry some article of clothing, and taking "air showers" under the hand dryer to dry off....unfortunately my gym had an over abundance of hand dryers (each of which was as loud as a jet engine - when more than 2 were on at the same time the sound reverberating off the tiled walls sounded like a NASCAR race) so no one ever complained that they weren't being used for the intended purpose; there was usually another one available.

To go to your original point, I don't know how they did it - asbestos genitals? Gives a new meaning to the term "fire crotch".

Shaving while naked is fine.  At least a sink is being used for what it was intended for.

If "air showers" would be used to blow air onto every part of the body to dry off, then that is crossing the line IMO.  (Did they run out of towels?)

(edited)
10 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I dunno...is it unconscious racism if I would want the baby to look like my husband’s race?  Because this episode caused me to ask my husband if he had a preference, and he said he didn’t care, and I realized that I would want our theoretical baby to look at least enough like his race that people wouldn’t constantly be raising their eyebrows and questioning the paternity of the child.  I know there are about 400 politically incorrect things in that statement, and I don’t care, but I’m wondering if you think this is “unconscious racism” or just wanting to avoid the Scarlett letter of having people thinking I committed adultery, like when Mr Takahashi cuckolded that guy in season nine, and his baby came out half Japanese.  😄

I love the last part of your statement.  Even if the season wasn’t as haha funny as the others, I think it sent a strong, positive message about so many current issues that the media are portraying completely differently.  You really change hearts and minds with humor, so great job there.  

Also, I don’t think anyone should do anything in a gym locker room that is against the rules, because it can get really gross in there really fast.  I was so glad that, on Seinfeld, George got nailed for urinating in a group shower.  Ugh!  “Pipes go to different places!” -Elaine

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Confused the seasons
  • Love 1
(edited)

10 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

This really isn't "woke" though.  If you're going to speak about being "highly woke" (your words) wanting your baby to be dark wouldn't be racism, not in North America where whiteness = power.  That's not how racism works.  And it's not woke to think that race doesn't matter.  It's woke to understand that race matters and to be conscious of it.  (i.e. understanding power structures, understanding issues like police brutality, racism in hiring, racism in court cases, etc.)

4 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I dunno...is it unconscious racism if I would want the baby to look like my husband’s race?  Because this episode caused me to ask my husband if he had a preference, and he said he didn’t care, and I realized that I would want our theoretical baby to look at least enough like his race that people wouldn’t constantly be raising their eyebrows and questioning the paternity of the child.

There are a lot of us who are multiracial and who look like we don't match the races of our parents.  It's not horrible, it's totally fine, it's normal where I grow up, and people don't go around questioning our paternity.  Trust me.  I wouldn't give a shit if they did.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And it's not woke to think that race doesn't matter.  It's woke to understand that race matters and to be conscious of it. 

Ironically, then, this makes Larry the wokest one in the room. Because Larry is the one making an issue of the baby's skin color, raising a subject that everyone else (including the prospective parents) would prefer not to talk about. He's the one that provokes the conversation about race, and brings to the surface the parents' disagreement with each other over preference.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 3/17/2020 at 2:45 PM, Milburn Stone said:

It's funny how we're all finding different things that didn't make sense to us. Mine is that in real life a luxury car dealership would be delighted to have customers stop in just for the licorice. Customers wouldn't need to make up an excuse. The dealership would view the licorice (and the rest of the spread) as a draw to bring in established customers, who might just check out the new cars in the showroom while they were there. No way would a sales manager, or owner, or whatever he was, be perturbed like that guy was.

Plus it’s Larry David...forget about it. He would be so proud that someone of that stature frequents his dealership.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Not to be snarky, but Mila Kunis isn't aging particularly well, either.  Not unattractive by any means, but she was cuter when she was younger.

I LOL'd when Penn was going on about how the birds had made him calmer, then he turned around and screamed at the one that squawked.  That was the only funny moment in this ep for me.  

This season was a little too unrealistic for me (although it wasn't any more so than the "Fatwa" season was, but in general the show seems to be getting more OTT each season).  Being in property management, I had a quibble with the Mocha Joe story line.  IRL, some retail leases in small shopping centers have language that gives the tenant exclusive rights to sell their product.  Even if Mocha Joe's didn't have that language, no landlord would have let Larry open his store (or any of the other spite stores) because the original tenant would take legal action against them for allowing it.  Larry would have had to have bought the entire shopping center to open his own store, which he certainly had the means to do, but MJ could have still sued him and prevailed.  But then, we wouldn't have had a show...

I did like the notion of Larry buying the house next door to him to control who lived there.  I read that Mark Zuckerberg bought 4 houses surrounding his and then leased them back to the original owners because a developer was going to build on the land and Zuckerberg was opposed to it - if I was able I'd buy my neighbor's house in a heartbeat, just to have some quiet over there.

I'm an LD fan and l'll certainly watch Curb when/if it comes back, but if this is the final season I won't miss it.  

This is the true power of being ridiculously rich. Being able to steam roll over the crappy things in life the rest of us have to deal with.

On 4/1/2020 at 10:27 PM, nuraman00 said:

That would have been too predictable IMO.

During the season 10 opener, when they show the man applying powdered deodorant to his armpits, I'm reminded of a story that a radio host likes to tell about what he's seen men do in a locker room.

This seem like a potential future plot point for CYE

On 4/3/2020 at 12:12 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Ironically, then, this makes Larry the wokest one in the room. Because Larry is the one making an issue of the baby's skin color, raising a subject that everyone else (including the prospective parents) would prefer not to talk about. He's the one that provokes the conversation about race, and brings to the surface the parents' disagreement with each other over preference.

My cousin is a dark skinned woman who married a white man. For whatever the hell reason, their children look a hella lot closer to white than “mixed”.

They live in an affluent neighborhood. There have been many an awkward situations where it was assumed that she was her children’s nanny or the family maid.

She really does not give a shit, but it had caused some unnecessary embarrassment for other people.

• Love 1

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Danny Thomas Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television – Comedy

“Curb Your Enthusiasm” (HBO) – Season 10
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Flight Attendant” (HBO Max) – Season 1
Producers: Greg Berlanti, Kaley Cuoco, Steve Yockey, Meredith Lavender, Marcie Ullin, Sarah Schechter, Suzanne McCormack, Jess Meyer, Raymond Quinlan, Jennifer Lence, Erika Kennair

“Schitt’s Creek” (Pop TV) – Season 6
Producers: Eugene Levy, Daniel Levy, Andrew Barnsley, Fred Levy, David West Read, Ben Feigin, Michael Short, Kurt Smeaton, Kosta Orfanidis

“Ted Lasso” (Apple TV Plus) – Season 1
Producers: Bill Lawrence, Jason Sudeikis, Jeff Ingold, Bill Wrubel, Liza Katzer, Jane Becker, Jamie Lee, Kip Kroeger, Brendan Hunt, Tina Pawlik, Joe Kelly

“What We Do in the Shadows” (FX) – Season 2
Producers: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi, Paul Simms, Scott Rudin, Garrett Basch, Eli Bush, Stefani Robinson, Sam Johnson, Marika Sawyer, Derek S. Rappaport

On 3/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, bilgistic said:

I'd also watch CYE as long as LD continues to put it on. My boyfriend and I just started watching from the beginning. It's a rewatch for me, but the first time for him. We're really enjoying it!

I said, "Prettayy, prettayy, prettayy good," the other day, and he looked at me quizzically. He'd fallen asleep during the third episode, which was the first time Larry says his infamous phrase.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:20 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I would take as many seasons as Larry wants to give us!  I'm grateful every single year he comes back.  This show has brought so much joy to my life.  I rewatch the seasons often!

Is there a discussion forum for earlier seasons than just Season 9? I keep searching the Primetimer site and can't find anything other than this Season 9 discussion. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Is there a discussion forum for earlier seasons than just Season 9? I keep searching the Primetimer site and can't find anything other than this Season 9 discussion. Thanks!

If it helps you, we discuss all the seasons in this thread.  I'm sorry.  I wouldn't know about another thread.  I think you would be okay to bring up earlier season here.  I would welcome it.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If it helps you, we discuss all the seasons in this thread.  I'm sorry.  I wouldn't know about another thread.  I think you would be okay to bring up earlier season here.  I would welcome it.

OK thanks. 🙂 I've just recently been binging the whole series; I'm in Season 7 now. I was hoping there were threads for each episode, so I could comment as I go. I'll have to read over this Season 9 forum and get up to speed with the discussions. Thanks again!

• Love 2
On 3/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, bilgistic said:

I just rewatched the pilot.

I was going to watch season 10 before season 11 but there's really not a lot of continuity from season to season, IIRC.

So I went back to the beginning.  Just brilliant, and LD is so relaxed and comfortable as a performer, which no doubt was due in many ways to the improvised lines.

Not only makes you laugh but lifts your whole mood.

• Love 1

I was going to watch season 10, maybe season 9, before the new season premiere.

But there isn't really continuity from season to season.

So I've started watching from the beginning.

The pilot episode is brilliant.  LD is so natural on camera, far more than I remember him being.  Probably better than he is in the most recent seasons.

Amazing how long ago they started too.

• Love 3