Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
56 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Is it supposed to be a running gag that Richard Lewis dates horrible women? 

LOL YES!  Ever since Episode 101!  The Pants Tent is one of my favourite episodes.  Check it out!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 1/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, scrb said:

I didn't think the selfie stick or the scooters were big plot points, just quick visual gags that might strike a chord with some viewers.

I've never broken anyone's selfie stick (although I'm now feeling emboldened), but I have knocked over a scooter blocking the way, with the same casualness LD did.  That walk down the street was a fabulous way to start the new season.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:26 AM, Cupcake04 said:

God I love this show so efffing much.  One thing I have noticed is that I now pretty much agree with Larry on everything that bugs him.  Not sure what that says about me but I do know that I am officially old and crotchety!

No, you're just sensible. 😀

I almost died when Cheryl's sister said she'd text Larry when her plane landed, and he said something like, "Eh, I'll probably hear about it if you die."  THANK YOU, LARRY DAVID.  Please let us just assume things are fine unless notified otherwise. 

On 2/10/2020 at 12:36 PM, DiabLOL said:

This show is now tedious, mean, poorly written and unfunny. If this was the only show I had HBO for I'd be cancelling promptly.

This show is the only reason I ever get HBO.  I subscribe for the first episode, and cancel when the season is over. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

(And I'm surprised they didn't show Jon in sweatpants.)

HBO has to draw the line somewhere. The lawsuits for the spontaneous pregnancies would be countless. 

39 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Please let us just assume things are fine unless notified otherwise. 

That drives me up the wall when people immediately get on their phone when they land. Unless you're telling someone "The plane landed. Please come pick me up." I'm surprised Larry even bothered to go to Denver. 

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ever since Episode 101!  The Pants Tent is one of my favourite episodes.  Check it out!

That was like 100 years ago. I don't even remember the last season. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

HBO has to draw the line somewhere. The lawsuits for the spontaneous pregnancies would be countless. 

I'd be willing to chip in on a settlement fund but I kinda think HBO doesn't need the help. 🙂

• LOL 1
30 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That was like 100 years ago. I don't even remember the last season. 

I'm a pretty big fan, so I rewatch seasons.  That 6 year hiatus was insane.  I've also watched Larry's movie "Clear History" once a year since it was released.  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, SHD said:

I remember him from HBO’s “Mind of the Married Man” which I feel was watched by only me.

No, I used to watch that show.  That one and Tell Me You Love Me were the first two shows that I ever habit-watched and hate-watched, respectively.  There's too much content out there to waste that kind of time now.

To stay on topic, I was at dinner the other night and saw this and thought of Latte Larry's snowshoes. 

-8100963197421216877.jpg

I have too much time on my hands......

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 1:02 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Larry didn't ask for the profit though. He asked for his original investment. That's not that bad. 

He didn’t ask though.  He insisted, as if we was entitled to it.  I agree that it seems fair that he should theoretically be entitled to the profits for allowing Becky to live in the house for free, but If that’s what he wanted, then he could have put Becky in a house he owned, in some sort of trust or rental agreement for some nominal sum, like $1 a month.  It’s not like Larry was in a pickle (gambit).  If he just wanted to give her housing, Larry had a ton of opportunities short of buying the woman a house.  

It’s like in Clear History when Jon Hamm and Larry’s characters came up with the idea of the Howard together, but Larry didn’t have any legal rights to it, so all of the profits went to Jon Hamm, who tried to track Larry (Nathan) down to give him his cut, but it was clear that doing so was an act of charity, not profit-sharing contemplated by a legal document.

Since Larry bought Becky the house—a fact on which they all agree—he’s not any more entitled to the profits than if I bought him a stock or business, it took off, and I felt like I was entitled to the capital gains.  Not the original investment, but the capital gains.  People would rightfully think I didn’t know what a contract was.

Or if I bought Larry a lottery ticket, he won, and then I felt entitled to the winnings (but not the initial $1 investment, which he could keep).  Once ownership has changed hands, the deal is over.  That would be his money, not mine, no argument.  

• Love 1

No, when he got to the house on the couch with Becky he only asked for 'my investment.' He was yelling at Cheryl about wanting all of it at Jeff's house but didn't end up asking the sister that. So I don't know if it was a continuity error or what. 

I had to watch the dinner scene again. Indefatigable Susan. I'm not a huge Richard Kind fan but he was killing me too. 

• Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 4:36 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm a pretty big fan, so I rewatch seasons.  That 6 year hiatus was insane.  I've also watched Larry's movie "Clear History" once a year since it was released.  

Which reminds me...Sour Grapes was for some reason reviled by the zeitgeist when it came out ("how dare this Seinfeld guy think he can make a movie!"), but it's pretty, pretty good.

42 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Which reminds me...Sour Grapes was for some reason reviled by the zeitgeist when it came out ("how dare this Seinfeld guy think he can make a movie!"), but it's pretty, pretty good.

I actually did watch it and really didn't like it at all.  But it's good that there are some Larry David movies out there.  Did anyone try "Whatever Works"?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I actually did watch it and really didn't like it at all.  But it's good that there are some Larry David movies out there.  Did anyone try "Whatever Works"?

WW was pretty terrible. I'm not a Woody Allen hater, but with a few exceptions his movies in the 21st century have been awful. WW was not one of those exceptions.

• Love 6

The wobbly table joke never gets old for me. 

Jeff looked like he was going to break after they got on his case about baby Hitler. 

My dog woke up and barked at Larry whistling. 

The diarrhea wasn't a big deal for me, but come on, you can't sweat into people's food and say it's ok. 

I was dying when Larry was in the audience. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4

This was a really juvenile episode.

A few parts were funny - but most of it involving Abbi Jacobson was just horrendous.  Being on Curb is a dream of mine, but I don't think someone could pay me to play that part.  

Larry has always been a Prius driver, so I don't know where the BMWs came in.  He must have started a partnership with BMW for some reason.   

Remember, Estelle Costanza saying "I won't buy a German car"!  I assumed that was from Larry.  Also, he's such an environmentalist.  Does BMW have enviro-friendly cars?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Larry has always been a Prius driver, so I don't know where the BMWs came in.  He must have started a partnership with BMW for some reason.   

It's their electric "i" series so it still fits.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Larry’s so rich, can open a spite store, buy TV advertising for a coffee shop and buy a $200k car because he won’t admit he went in for the free Bavarian licorice.

He can also pay the $250k anti-piracy fine without blinking.

He could have gotten the diarrhea waitress fired, didn’t have to give her a ride or give her a job or give her his car.

Then again, he tried to dump the diarrhea-inducing licorice on Susie and he didn’t warn Richard — who’s kind of old to be playing Charlie, isn’t he?

Maybe he should hire a a driver so he could be on his phone while in the car.

• Love 6

I thought for sure the diarrhea gag was going to come back at the end with Larry having to beg Mocha Joe to use his toilets after refusing to have toilets at Latte Larry’s.  Either they missed a golden opportunity or that lack of toilets is going to come back to haunt him in the finale.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, bobbyjoe said:

I thought for sure the diarrhea gag was going to come back at the end with Larry having to beg Mocha Joe to use his toilets after refusing to have toilets at Latte Larry’s.  Either they missed a golden opportunity or that lack of toilets is going to come back to haunt him in the finale.

That would've been even better!

I cracked up at the bit with Mr. Takahashi:

"If not food, must be waitress.  Diane.  And her diarrhea."

"Nooo, nooo, nooo, nooo!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don’t know, I thought Richard Lewis’ “terrible” stage hair looked better than his usual way of styling it. And I’m saying that as someone who is a huge fan.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, bobbyjoe said:

I swear this season has been filled with red herrings. Perhaps they know that the audience will get ahead of them with all of these setups that they are just doing it to keep us guessing. My guess while watching was that the waitress was going to come to work at Latte Larry's and get diarrhea and have nowhere to go. I didn't think of Richard and his 100 year old Charlie portrayal would be the final victim of that storyline. They did throw in a line from Mocha Joe about stop sending people over to take a shit.

Speaking of Richard he is looking so frail. Makes me worried for the guy. He still makes me laugh though.

I hated everything about the waitress. What a vile person. Normally Larry is the one that takes things too far and you sympathize with the other but this time he didn't go far enough. Her firing would have been 100% justified and then getting a car, selling it and not coming to work...ugh just hate her.

I've been to that BMW dealership, never got any licorice....now I really want licorice.

Lastly what was the deal with the white car? Have they commented on white cars before? Seemed to come out of nowhere and didn't go anywhere.

1 more episode 😞

• Love 5

The dealer wouldn't really care because warranty repairs are paid for by BMW, so the dealer would be getting a lot of money.  They would lay out the licorice in that case.

And when Larry said he wanted to look at new cars, you better believe the dealer is going to be kissing his butt, not be skeptical and hostile like that guy was.

I wonder if BMW liked one of their dealerships being portrayed as so cross.  Not to mention shitting on the reputation of Bavarian confectionery.

Though I'm not sure licorice from Bavaria is a real thing.  I think they're more about cakes and biscuits or something like that.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

Lastly what was the deal with the white car? Have they commented on white cars before? Seemed to come out of nowhere and didn't go anywhere.

I think it's just Jeff knowing Larry really well and that Larry would never pick a white car.  He doesn't like people who draw attention to themselves (curb your enthusiasm) and he's probably mocked white cars before.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This was a really juvenile episode.

A few parts were funny 

I agree with this assessment.  I think Larry needs to get out of his own way with the toilet stuff.  It’s beneath him.  

Also, it was boring and, once again, too long.  There is a serious problem when I am just sitting there waiting for that “bump-bump-bump-bump-ba-dump-da-da-da-dump” music that signals it’s over. 

Larry buying the car was good.  I really like how he’s not living like a pauper this season.  

This is the second week in a row that Larry got fleeced for something he bought—last week it was Becky with the house, this week the waitress with the car.  

Vince Vaughn (Freddie?) was kind of funny responding the Richard Lewis’s role in the play as “no one wants to see that.”

Leon was mildly funny with “lo and behold,” but he wasn’t hitting it out of the park.

I didn’t really understand the conflict that Jeff could no longer to to Pebble Beach because Susie decided not to go away, because Jeff was too happy.  She was supposed to be away, so Jeff made his own plans to go out of town.  If Susie’s plans change...Jeff’s plans have to change too?  In what universe?  

The thing with the texting and driving and the phone flying because you’re surprised just didn’t pay off.  I don’t really see what’s funny about it, because I don’t think it’s a real phenomenon, and I’m not sure how adding a wheelchair in the mix made it otherwise funny.  I think Larry could move on from wheelchairs in addition to toilets.  Not because I’m offended.  I would never be offended.  I just feel like Larry thinks there’s something automatically subversive and dangerous and envelope-pushing about depicting people in wheelchairs and....I’m not fazed.  Put something funny in there about a person with a wheelchair and I will laugh.  

Mr. Takahashi is in no position to tell Larry to zip his jacket all the way up or threaten to suspend him—in Thank You For Your Service, Larry found Mr. Takahashi making out with a woman who was married to another guy, and he intuited that the woman’s child was Mr. Takahashi’s and not her husband’s.  As a result, Mr. Takahashi called the club and made sure they let Larry in, when he’s been previously been banned, so...what’s changed?  I would think that sort of really fucked up info is the type that would have Takahashi kissing Larry’s ass for at least a bunch of years.  One throwaway line about how that couple broke up would have resolved this.  Continuity is helpful in understanding the narrative.  

• Love 5

Customers plucking licorice out of a big glass jar with their fingers, instead of tongs? Larry’s okay with that, but he’s suspicious of wait staff who might not wash their hands thoroughly?

I don’t understand the reason why they moved Diane to the non-air-conditioned restaurant.

I also don’t buy Larry hiring Diarrhea Diane to work at Latte Larry’s after being repulsed that she is serving food at the golf club restaurant.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I think Larry could move on from wheelchairs in addition to toilets.  Not because I’m offended.  I would never be offended.  I just feel like Larry thinks there’s something automatically subversive and dangerous and envelope-pushing about depicting people in wheelchairs and....I’m not fazed. 

I agree. I guess Larry also thinks that he is wealthy enough that he can afford to drive away viewers with repetitive, unoriginal scatological humor.

• Love 1

Beanmeister Leon.

I just noticed that Jeff seems really into Lacoste. There's the little alligator whenever he wears a polo shirt. Wonder if the company has a product placement deal with CYE.

That had to have been the most expensive cannister of licorice ever. Free, with the purchase of a $150,000+ car!

Yeesh, that choosing beggar Diane needs to be given Leon's "get in that a$$" treatment. Her outrageous sense of self-entitlement almost made Larry look like a saint.

Pretty sure I'm never eating licorice again. Ever.

I also don’t buy Larry hiring Diarrhea Diane to work at Latte Larry’s after being repulsed that she is serving food at the golf club restaurant.

Yeah, that was off. But Larry just giving her his car was puzzling too. (Except for being able to make a joke about Oprah's "You get a car! You get a car!" nonsense.) Hope TV show Larry doesn't have some kind of mental decline going on.

On Seinfeld, Jerry made the observation that charity is a selfish act, because the giver mainly does it to feel good about themselves. Maybe the business here with Diane was a nod to that.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Customers plucking licorice out of a big glass jar with their fingers, instead of tongs?

Nice callback to The Pickle Gambit!

Anyone else disappointed that the arrogant little dermatologist’s kid that Larry hired didn’t get a scene working at the spite store?  I think there is a lot of comedy to be mined there.  Hopefully, next week.  

It’s on at 10 next week, so the finale is probably going to be close to an hour.  Yay?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I didn’t really understand the conflict that Jeff could no longer to to Pebble Beach because Susie decided not to go away, because Jeff was too happy.  She was supposed to be away, so Jeff made his own plans to go out of town.  If Susie’s plans change...Jeff’s plans have to change too?  In what universe? 

I took it at Susie being offended that Jeff was so ecstatic that she was leaving town, so she cancelled her plans.  Jeff would have to cancel his plans too, or else Susie would make him miserable upon return.  If he wanted to stay in her good graces, he'd stay and spend the time with her.

I'm sad that I don't find Larry that inspired this season.  There is no major arc to the season, okay, except for Latte Larry's.  Like I mentioned before when I see him on talk shows he has one good idea after another that I think can be mined for great comedic situations.  But this season's episodes have overall been a letdown.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I took it at Susie being offended that Jeff was so ecstatic that she was leaving town, so she cancelled her plans.  Jeff would have to cancel his plans too, or else Susie would make him miserable upon return.  If he wanted to stay in her good graces, he'd stay and spend the time with her.

I'm sad that I don't find Larry that inspired this season.  There is no major arc to the season, okay, except for Latte Larry's.  Like I mentioned before when I see him on talk shows he has one good idea after another that I think can be mined for great comedic situations.  But this season's episodes have overall been a letdown.

Except didn’t she throw him out?  He was staying at Larry’s.  When did they reconcile?

couple things:  coatracks are good for purses, even in LA

this ep not as funny as last, which was crazy funny. When that red sauce landed on that beautiful white linen upholstered chair, I felt a physical pain.

• Love 1

Larry did tell Diane that he felt bad for getting her fired before offering her the job. It might be a thin premise ymmv but they did address it. 

Given the improv nature of the show, I'm more interested in how the actors do the scenes, than what's actually going on. The show still works for me on that level. 

• Love 3

The only things that actually made me laugh out loud in this episode were Takahashi yelling about Diane's diarrhea, and Larry buying the car out of spite.

Everything else was just cringey without being funny. It seems like the writers are throwing a bunch of diarrhea at the wall and seeing what sticks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Threw him out?  Susie just threw a surprise party for Jeff two episodes ago.  

Jeff had to stay with Larry for a bit. He had already changed into sweatpants, so he couldn't GottaGo substitute. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

It’s on at 10 next week, so the finale is probably going to be close to an hour.  Yay?

I hope there are more seasons.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Jeff had to stay with Larry for a bit. He had already changed into sweatpants, so he couldn't GottaGo substitute. 

Oh ok.  I am rewatching the episode and I see this now.

• Love 2

What's wrong with Jeff's face? His right cheek looks swollen, like he had dental surgery. His mouth looks odd and moves weirdly at the right side. It's not like that in every episode, so I don't know if they're filmed out of order or what. Am I the only one seeing this?

EDIT: Apparently Jeff (the actor) had a stroke years ago. I don't know why I'm just now noticing his face, but someone on Reddit also just noticed.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes, this season never really found its stride.  I just watched Fatwa!, the season finale of season nine, and even though it clocked in at 48 minutes it was so funny.  All the storylines came together and I was just laughing and laughing.  I don’t know if that is good news, because we are yet to see the season finale of season 10, and I thought season nine and season ten were roughly equal, so maybe they’ll put on a great finale.  Or it can just be seen as kind of sad as to how good this show was in the not-so-decent past.  Not one toilet was mentioned in the entire 48 minutes!

I noticed something that was really good was that Susie was being nice and actually built up to being a bitch.  She was actually treating Larry decently until he fucked up, and then she insulted him and left, and then they’d go for another round, but I think that build-up is so much more exciting than a woman who is constantly spewing four-letter words venomously, in the absence of significant provocation.  That’s lazy to me, not funny.

I think the lack of discipline was what made this season so up and down.  I think everyone was really happy to do the show again, and they anticipated that they would have an amazing end product, probably because they were having so much fun on set, improvising and drawing energy off of each other.  But at some point, someone should have watched the dailies and been like, “you guys?  This is shit.  Back to the drawing board.”  I don’t think there was enough of that this season.  It was a little too like, “we’re here and you’re gonna laugh, damnit, because we are all laughing!”  It’s a little bit like the fall of the Roman Empire—it got spread too thin on its own hubris and it collapsed under its own weight.

Also, I’d like to see Sammi again.  

• Love 6
14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

What's wrong with Jeff's face? His right cheek looks swollen, like he had dental surgery. His mouth looks odd and moves weirdly at the right side. It's not like that in every episode, so I don't know if they're filmed out of order or what. Am I the only one seeing this?

EDIT: Apparently Jeff (the actor) had a stroke years ago. I don't know why I'm just now noticing his face, but someone on Reddit also just noticed.

My observation was more specific.  In the first episode this season I noticed that he seemed to have a growth of some kind in the right side of his mouth that (to me) was disturbingly obvious when he talked,  Then in the second or third episode he got hit in the mouth/face, and I wondered if something had happened to Garlin and they were trying to faux explain Greene's problem after the fact without actually mentioning it.    

It sounds like the stroke would have predated episode 1, and I haven't noticed the swelling or whatever it was as much in the last ep or so.  I assume Garlin had some kind of procedure that has healed over the course of this season's filming.  

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

My observation was more specific.  In the first episode this season I noticed that he seemed to have a growth of some kind in the right side of his mouth that (to me) was disturbingly obvious when he talked,  Then in the second or third episode he got hit in the mouth/face, and I wondered if something had happened to Garlin and they were trying to faux explain Greene's problem after the fact without actually mentioning it.

This is what it looks like to me, too, like he's a squirrel with a nut in there.

• Love 1

It's funny how we're all finding different things that didn't make sense to us. Mine is that in real life a luxury car dealership would be delighted to have customers stop in just for the licorice. Customers wouldn't need to make up an excuse. The dealership would view the licorice (and the rest of the spread) as a draw to bring in established customers, who might just check out the new cars in the showroom while they were there. No way would a sales manager, or owner, or whatever he was, be perturbed like that guy was.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 7
On 3/16/2020 at 2:48 AM, lynxfx said:

Speaking of Richard he is looking so frail. Makes me worried for the guy.

I wondered about that too, so I looked it up. Turns out he was actually in pain during the whole season’s filming.  Recovering from back surgery IIRC.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, kay1864 said:

I wondered about that too, so I looked it up. Turns out he was actually in pain during the whole season’s filming.  Recovering from back surgery IIRC.

That would explain why he is moving so slow and stiff. Don't want to lose him like Super Dave.

32 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

That would explain why he is moving so slow and stiff. Don't want to lose him like Super Dave.

I guess he can slowly replace the cast members who may have difficulties performing the way they used to but realistically, how many more seasons does he want to do this show?

Vaughn is much younger so he could be new blood but he's character is pretty sedate, even though we know Vaughn can be over the top.

Maybe more reliance on these guest stars like Don Hamm then, to carry more of the episodes.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 4:05 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

That drives me up the wall when people immediately get on their phone when they land. Unless you're telling someone "The plane landed. Please come pick me up." I'm surprised Larry even bothered to go to Denver.

Plus, if someone cares, flight trackers are online now and will tell you whether or not a plan landed most of the time.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:28 PM, kay1864 said:

Selling something Larry gave you, and keeping the $$… hmm, where have I heard that before?

I was on his side here after the accident.  He had given her the keys at that point, not the title. (Whereas I would guess his sister-in-law had the title to the house). 

On 3/16/2020 at 1:54 AM, scrb said:

The dealer wouldn't really care because warranty repairs are paid for by BMW, so the dealer would be getting a lot of money.  They would lay out the licorice in that case.

There was never anything wrong with Larry's car so the dealer probably wasn't getting anything unless they were charging Larry for diagnostics. 

On 3/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, LibertarianSlut said:

I think it represented the notion that having one's partner away means you're free to do whatever without consulting them.  Now that Susie was staying around, she'd expect to have a say in what they do that weekend. 

Jeff is an adult and could probably still go but he knew Susie would be unhappy with that.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

There was never anything wrong with Larry's car so the dealer probably wasn't getting anything unless they were charging Larry for diagnostics. 

I assumed so or there was some service fee.

I guess it depends on the cost of the Bavarian licorice and how much Larry eats. 

The guy knew he was being disingenuous too, and the mechanics are wasting their time when they could be working on cars that need it. 

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The guy knew he was being disingenuous too, and the mechanics are wasting their time when they could be working on cars that need it. 

It's always been my understanding that when a car is still under warranty, the dealer is reimbursed by the car company for work performed. (Even if just diagnostic.) When a car is not under warranty, the customer pays. And since, either way, the labor cost to the dealer is less than the payment to the dealer (because capitalism), the dealer benefits. No?