Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love Fred Armisen;  he was great! Have we ever seen Gregg Germann before as Larry's cardiologist? I've liked him since his Ally McBeal days. Was he faking a heart attack at the end b/c of his fear of Susie?  Omg the dog!  How does he think this stuff up? I have a handicapped placard and idk why the meter reader ripped up Larry's ticket?  Does a placard allow one to park at a meter for free in CA? Not the case here in NY. We never did find out why Susie wanted a trip to the Bahamas. My DVR cut off before coming attractions.

• Love 3

Yeah figured Latte Larry would go hog wild with the handicap placard.

Ok there’s going to be a big payoff with the urinals, including the woman’s urinal.  Didn’t know what women would do with their pants while hanging on to the bars and squatting.

And probably a payoff with the coffee cup warmers too.  Though these days most people take their coffee in paper cups.

Susie barks more viciously than Adolf, induced a heart attack on Rusty.

OK when Wally was chasing Jeff I saw a sign for a sushi burrito place.  Who knew that was a thing?  Not in my area but seems to be popular in LA.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, scrb said:

Didn’t know what women would do with their pants while hanging on to the bars and squatting.

Not to mention there are no stalls in the women's room either.  If it was a single bathroom, then no walls needed, but if you have two or more toilets, 99% of female users will expect privacy. And what about handicap accessible facilities?  ADA rules apply to small businesses, Larry!  Plus, the pants issue...does Larry expect all the female customers at Latte Larry's will be wearing skirts and dresses?  Good luck getting your permits to open.  

What's the payoff going to be for the always hot cups?  What about customers who do take out?  Is Larry going to let those go out the door?

I know this is all a farce and done for the ridiculous implausibility that we have come to love in Seinfeld & CYE.  But there are some things that I  just can't pretend away.  

• Love 9

Fred was funny explaining to Larry that he was not the guy depicted in the wheelchair on the placard.

Women are also supposed to be able to tear off (2-ply/4-ply) toilet paper and wipe during that pilates session. The bathrooms at Latte Larry will be cleaner but will be otherwise as appealing to females as Porta-Pottys.

49 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

What’s the payoff going to be for the always hot cups? 

I know this is all a farce and done for the ridiculous implausibility that we have come to love in Seinfeld & CYE.  But there are some things that I  just can't pretend away.  

Maybe a patron will be enjoying a cup of coffee from Latte Larry. He/she will need to defecate. He/she runs next door to Mocha Joe’s, uses the traditional toilet there, settles in with a muffin disguised as a scone. Wobbly table leads to hot coffee spilling and burning said patron, who files a lawsuit, but a balm erases all evidence of personal injury.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Everything is not a hit! (Anyone know who the actress was playing the receptionist? She looks familiar.)

Only Susie would  consider someone aggressively boring.

A German Shepherd named Adolph who hates Jewish people. Or did he just hate LD?

Stamets!

Funny that Adolph wasn't fazed by Leon at all. He had no problem with the <well-known derogatory Yiddish word for Black person>? 😉

I'm thinking Chris Martin probably won't be forging a second career in acting. Yikes. He seemed very self-conscious but maybe it was because he was supposed to be playing himself.

Poor Dr. Rusty. But he was indeed aggressively boring.

• Love 1

Rebecca Romejn!

It was another ridiculously chaotic episode, but it still had elements I enjoyed. Fred Armisen cracked me up from his first scene and I laughed at everything he did.

Chris Martin is my god, I adore him. He has said he doesn't like acting and admits he's not good at it. He's actually hilarious in person and seemed a bit nervous here.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, scrb said:

And probably a payoff with the coffee cup warmers too.  Though these days most people take their coffee in paper cups.

The coffee shop I go to gives your a mug of you're going to stay there. I thought it was a clever idea. 

Vince Vaughn strikes me as someone that likes to talk. I think his running comments aren't funny in and off themselves but it's a funny way. He seems to be actively listening too. 

Chris Martin's timing and line reading of "I pull over" was funny. It looked like Larry got a kick out of it. 

I also liked - do you have my number? - I'm talking to you now! 

• Love 1

Loved seeing Alan Tudyk.  I thought everything was pretty funny, especially Fred Armisen. 

I don't know if it was intentional but in the waiting room, Larry completely ignored the person of color - I'd say that's pretty typical of the show (except for Leon, of course).

Are guys really going to wait for the urinal thing to adjust to their appropriate  level?

Liked the dog, what a good actor. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

What was the point of the snow shoes in front of the urinals?

Larry has a big problem with having to stand in the urine of men with faulty aim. (Can't say I know of anybody who's thrilled to do this.) The snowshoes are the solution.

21 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Larry has a big problem with having to stand in the urine of men with faulty aim. (Can't say I know of anybody who's thrilled to do this.) The snowshoes are the solution.

Ah, yes. Hmmm.... I agree that that is something you would want to prevent. But I also think that the kind of men responsible for puddles of urine on the bathroom floor will somehow still manage to leave urine in the snow shoes.

• Love 3
On 2/23/2020 at 11:19 PM, scrb said:

Yeah figured Latte Larry would go hog wild with the handicap placard.

Ok there’s going to be a big payoff with the urinals, including the woman’s urinal.  Didn’t know what women would do with their pants while hanging on to the bars and squatting.

People are going to be going over to the ladies' room and pooping in the toilets there.  This is beyond disgusting, so it will wreck Larry's business.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Are guys really going to wait for the urinal thing to adjust to their appropriate  level?

I noticed that the camera lingered on Larry moving away from the urinal, and the urinal door SLAMMING back shut when he did so.

I assume that someone's penis is going to get caught in that thing by the end of this season.

Why the hell would Larry not put stalls in the women's?  Good lord.  Also, if I was in charge of bathrooms it would just be stalls stalls stalls as far as the eye can see regardless of gender.  As a woman I don't even understand how one could use a urinal.  I can barely deal with even the best public washroom, which is those single use bathrooms with a closed door.  Paradise.  I'm like George Costanza that way (which I thought was based on Larry David).

I love Fred Armisen, and he was damn funny, but so far, I only like that episode that I keep calling the "Cruise" episode.  The one where they went to the Mexican resort or whatever.  (I know now there was no cruise).  It was so clever of Larry to use the carnival guy to tell him everyone's weights.

The rest of it is ehhhhhh.  Guest stars like Vince Vaughn, Isla Fisher, etc. have been mostly a letdown.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Am I the only person who thinks this is an accident waiting to happen? I am thinking that some malfunction occurs causing one's member to be chopped off.😳

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
Just now, ECM1231 said:

Am I the only person who thinks this is an accident waiting to happen? I am thinking that some malfunction occurs causing one's member to be chopped off.😳

ETA: Aha,  I posted without reading through all posts and see Ms. Blue Jay and I share the same macabre thoughts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I noticed that the camera lingered on Larry moving away from the urinal, and the urinal door SLAMMING back shut when he did so.

I assume that someone's penis is going to get caught in that thing by the end of this season.

Why the hell would Larry not put stalls in the women's?  Good lord.  Also, if I was in charge of bathrooms it would just be stalls stalls stalls as far as the eye can see regardless of gender.  As a woman I don't even understand how one could use a urinal.  I can barely deal with even the best public washroom, which is those single use bathrooms with a closed door.  Paradise.  I'm like George Costanza that way (which I thought was based on Larry David).

I love Fred Armisen, and he was damn funny, but so far, I only like that episode that I keep calling the "Cruise" episode.  The one where they went to the Mexican resort or whatever.  (I know now there was no cruise).  It was so clever of Larry to use the carnival guy to tell him everyone's weights.

The rest of it is ehhhhhh.  Guest stars like Vince Vaughn, Isla Fisher, etc. have been mostly a letdown.

The bolded make me laugh. You are funny.

There was a public bathroom at an airport in Japan, I think (I was very jetlagged), that you might have liked. Dozens of stalls. Doors and walls to the floor. You could choose music at whatever volume. There was a scented air freshener mist that you could control. Very clean.

There’s a Porta-Potty at the skatepark where I hang with my son. One guy was about to go home but used it for number two, before going home! I can’t wrap my brain around that.

• LOL 3
On 2/18/2020 at 9:17 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

A piece of wood sliding vertically on grooves reminds me of a guillotine.

Maybe this will tie in with Larry’s black/white reproductive organ conversation with Laverne Cox.

(waving arm) Can I get some love? 😉 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The bolded make me laugh. You are funny.

There was a public bathroom at an airport in Japan, I think (I was very jetlagged), that you might have liked. Dozens of stalls. Doors and walls to the floor. You could choose music at whatever volume. There was a scented air freshener mist that you could control. Very clean.

There’s a Porta-Potty at the skatepark where I hang with my son. One guy was about to go home but used it for number two, before going home! I can’t wrap my brain around that.

I honestly think my body is trained to almost never have to use public bathrooms.  My bladder waits until I get home.  It's my superpower.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

So, was Susie really was trying to kill Jeff with the surprise party? If she wasn't Larry wasn't exactly overly paranoid about it, because it did seem like a possibility. Her looking into a trip, soon, to the Bahamas fed into it. Kill her husband, get the money and head to the Caribbean to celebrate!

Edited by Pike Ludwell
On 2/23/2020 at 9:19 PM, scrb said:

OK when Wally was chasing Jeff I saw a sign for a sushi burrito place.  Who knew that was a thing?  Not in my area but seems to be popular in LA.

There are several in the area where I live, next door to CA (maybe it's a west coast thing).  I've been here 3 years and we get takeout a few times a month from one about 5 minutes away.  Choice of tortilla or seaweed wrap (get the seaweed wrap, trust me), or a bowl.  It may be a relatively new  concept - I moved here from SoCal and didn't see any during the time I lived there.

Hey, we've seen what happens when there're stalls in the women's restroom - "Three squares?! You can't spare three squares?!" "No, I'm sorry, I don't have a square to spare!"

The show may have just blown off the reality that stalls are the norm in order to better illustrate the Squatty Potty idea.  Stalls would have prevented the camera from showing Larry demonstrate to Funkhouser 2.0 (God Bless You, Super Dave) how to use it.

That said, I would think ladies would be down (no pun intended) with the idea. My admittedly limited knowledge of the subject is that at least some prefer to hover anyway.  Although unless an illustrated instruction sheet is posted a la "Employees Must Wash Hands", I don't know how they would figure it out. 

I'm putting way too much thought into this...

Larry's mug warmer is actually a great idea. He should go on Shark Tank on the show! I would love to see Larry interact with the sharks! I can't stand luke warm coffee and have to nuke my mug 10 times every morning to keep it hot. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't like the attendants in the bathroom either. There's nothing they have I want and then they have to hand you the towel. I don't need to pay you to use the bathroom. 

I think JB broke Larry on the 'test drive that motherfucker.' 

I did like the whole restaurant issue, and Ted's 'well wait a minute' about the magical vagina. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3
(edited)

I agree with Larry completely.  You have to wonder who the hell would eat mints or gum from A WASHROOM.  Agh!

Larry should have offered Nick Kroll the maitre'd $1000 to sit by the window just to see what he would have said.

I know that Carl was played by a famous actor or comedian, right?  But who?  What's his name?  Thank you.

This episode was a lot better.  I had a lot of fun.  I thought a lot of the situations were very relatable, as funny as that might sound.  I'm not a hockey fan, but the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won the cup since 1967.  Maybe I'd care about hockey if they had.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

That was awesome.

Larry acting quite despicable, referring to his customers to be as dregs of society, having a tantrum about being seated in the ugly section.

Then demanding $500 back from the widow, blowing his shot at the magical vagina.

The bills at that restaurant probably get up to $500.  He rants about where he’s seated but he keeps going to expensive restaurant to get back at the manager for being seated in the wrong section.

Putting a lot of work into the spite store, not knowing if it will even be successful.  He’s got those magical beans, now special hardware for his cabinets, the guillotine urinals, the piss on your pants urinals.  But no way to know if the place will be popular, much less steal business from Mocha Joe.

• Love 4

That episode had me giggling with every storyline.  It was so silly but I loved every exaggerated pronunciation that Nick Kroll had.

I was waiting for the robber to be revealed as someone Larry hired.  I also expected Ted to get the magical vagina.  I didn't predict that it'd be the doctor's kid.

• Love 3

So help me, I'm a Jets fan.  I can't tell if this episode was hilarious or tragic.

8 hours ago, scrb said:

Then demanding $500 back from the widow, blowing his shot at the magical vagina.

This was a great storyline twist.  You knew Larry would blow it, but I assumed he'd do so by actually revealing his knowledge of the magical vagina.  Having him suddenly try to get $500 off her was unexpected but logical, and therefore much funnier.

• Love 3
(edited)

Very funny episode. I thought it was great. Are there really still bathroom attendants anywhere? I thought that went out decades ago, with elevator attendants. (Hey, there's an idea for a future show - Larry gets into an elevator, and there is an attendant to push the button for him - then as Larry's leaving the attendant acts offended Larry didn't give him a tip). The restaurant manager was a total kook: dividing the restaurant like that, firing the bathroom attendant for leaving his post - upon a customer's request, and then the crazy ending showing he must have been aware of the privacy issue all along, since he's rather neurotic about it himself. Crazier than most of the Curb "villains".

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That episode had me giggling with every storyline.  It was so silly but I loved every exaggerated pronunciation that Nick Kroll had.

I was waiting for the robber to be revealed as someone Larry hired.  I also expected Ted to get the magical vagina.  I didn't predict that it'd be the doctor's kid.

The look of horror on Nick Kroll's face when Larry said that the doctor's son was with him and he had to be seated with him in the "good-looking section" 😁

1 hour ago, Pike Ludwell said:

The restaurant manager was a total kook: dividing the restaurant like that, firing the bathroom attendant for leaving his post - upon a customer's request, and then the crazy ending showing he must have been aware of the privacy issue all along, since he's rather neurotic about it himself. Crazier than most of the Curb "villains".

There is actual logic to everything the Maitre'd did, though.  You sit the good-looking people near the windows so that everyone walking by is attracted to come into the restaurant and they have this reputation of having good-looking clientele.

And the employee did leave his post.

I don't "agree" with anything that the Maitre'd did, but I assume it's not seen as crazy within the business.

• Love 1
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And the employee did leave his post.

You're seriously defending the firing for leaving an unnecessary post when a customer requested it?

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 1

Too funny, but as the son of a dermatologist myself, I have been asked over the years to look at certain skin conditions and make a "diagnosis."  Sadly, I have never been privy to any magical vagina as a result.

Funny ep in general...felt like an early years Curb in a lot of ways.

"The Jets killed him....and a little bit of the Knicks."

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Pike Ludwell said:

(Hey, there's an idea for a future show - Larry gets into an elevator, and there is an attendant to push the button for him - then as Larry's leaving the attendant acts offended Larry didn't give him a tip). 

haha, I think this was a sketch Larry David wrote for Saturday Night Live during the one season he worked there as a writer. He always claims it was the only thing he wrote that ended up making it on the show (the host was Ed Begley, Jr. , actually).

• Love 1