Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

S9E1. It was just ok. The funniest part for me was Larry in the disguise.

The first shower scene when he couldn't get the soap pump to twist off - OMG I hate when I get a defective pump like that, it does make you crazy!

Shallow note-  a wet Larry is not a good look.

When the haircutter woman(Betty?) told Larry she'd give him a hair cut, I though... hmmm I bet it will be $100.(which I think is crazy, especially the minimal amount he actually had to cut) But damn, even more...$150!

I'll never get tired of Susie cursing out Larry and Jeff.  So Sammy's getting married! that has to be an episode right?! Larry has to ruin it somehow. How old is the actress now?

• Love 9

I pretty much liked it. It was good to see Nasim Pedrad again. I thought (real-life) Larry was smiling a bit too much in the whole first half of it, in his amusement at the moves and line readings of his fellow actors. That made it hard to buy him as the miserable excuse for a human being we're obviously supposed to conceive of him as. But once (character) Larry entered into a panic from the fatwa issued on him, (real-life) Larry sold it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Larry was smiling a bit too much in the whole first half of it, in his amusement at the moves and line readings of his fellow actors. That made it hard to buy him as the miserable excuse for a human being we're obviously supposed to conceive of him as.

I actually enjoyed the smiling. Reminded me of the days of "live" TV.  And let's face it, we're not really convinced Larry is miserable in real life anyway.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

I actually enjoyed the smiling. Reminded me of the days of "live" TV.  And let's face it, we're not really convinced Larry is miserable in real life anyway.

On reflection, even though the (what appeared to me to be real life) smiling took me out of the story while it was happening, I decided that it was a good thing in that it made his ensuing panic all the more panicky by contrast. There was more movement in the character because in going from "lighter than air, top of the world, nothing can touch me now" to "I'm gonna die," he fell a greater distance than if he'd gone from his more typical "the world sucks and I hate everyone in it" to "I'm gonna die."

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Valny said:

Shallow note-  a wet Larry is not a good look.

This was the first time I ever thought he looked like an old man. He's 70, but I always thought he looked like he was about 55 or so. 

40 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Was Betty played by one of the girls from the "People's Couch"? She looked familiar.

Yes, that was Julie Goldman from People's Couch. I've never watched the show but recognized her just from the commercials Bravo ran constantly. I did not know that she is a comedian. I thought, "She went from reality TV to a guest spot on Curb?!!"

• Love 3

That first part of the episode when he was trying to open that pump soap had me ROTFL. I actually had to have a friend open one for me yesterday as I get all thumbs when I try to. He can take the smallest things and turn them into a comedy gold that we can all relate to. 

I thought that Julie Goldman did a good believable job playing Betty. Who knew she had acting chops. She's the second person from the People's Couch  that I have seen on another program (Destiny on Shahs of Sunset). 

It felt good to be back in the saddle again. I enjoyed it and had a few laughs. 

Cheryl Hines and Larry must have had one heck of a time filming the "clitoris" scene. She could barely keep a straight face. I wonder how many takes it took so they could find one useable. Looks as though they had to edit fast as she was about to crack up. 

• Love 2

I liked the scene with the door holding.   I have been thinking about that scenario for a very long time and how it would work well in an episode of Curb.  It didn't play out the way I'd hoped though.  My conception doesn't really consider the genders of the people involved.  I just hate the entire practice of holding doors open for people who have two functioning, empty arms.  And I hate when people hold the door open for me, because then I'm obligated to thank them even though they didn't do anything for me.  It's even worse when they open the door and I'm so far away that I have to pick up my pace for them.  I've made a practice of lingering about 50 feet away from any door that has people walking through it.

I love that the relationship between Larry and Susie has devolved to just pure mutual hatred.  There's no warmup, or attempt to be nice.  They just go at each other immediately.  They both hate each other, but because of their common relationship with Jeff, they are stuck in each others' lives.

Was pleasantly shocked when they mentioned Sammy's pending wedding.  She was just a little girl when the series started.  Last we saw her, she was a teenager.  Then I realized that makes sense.  She's gotta be in her 20s by now.  The actress who plays her, Ashly Holloway, is 25.  I can't wait to see her on the show.  I hope they haven't recast the part.

• Love 4

This was a great episode, I forgot how much I enjoy watching Larry suffer.  Everybody we know and love (and hate) showed up for the first episode, TERRIFIC.  And, man, what a crazy story line. I would have charged him 500.00 to cut that nasty man's hair, snort. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I liked the scene with the door holding.   I have been thinking about that scenario for a very long time and how it would work well in an episode of Curb.  It didn't play out the way I'd hoped though.  My conception doesn't really consider the genders of the people involved.  I just hate the entire practice of holding doors open for people who have two functioning, empty arms.  And I hate when people hold the door open for me, because then I'm obligated to thank them even though they didn't do anything for me.  It's even worse when they open the door and I'm so far away that I have to pick up my pace for them.  I've made a practice of lingering about 50 feet away from any door that has people walking through it.

I do the same thing - lingering to avoid door-holding situations.  I consider it more respectful to assume that someone can manage the door on their own. Insofar as that scene -- what an A-H that woman was. Who would stop and make such a big fuss about such a trivial situation? Someone from out of Larry David's mind and written into Curb! Amazing how Larry run into so may A-Hs on that show. LOL

• Like 1
  • Love 3

What drives me nuts is people who do a little dance around you to open the door, delaying both of you.

I don't think Larry David looks frail. I think he looks skinny but wiry and quite strong. The one who looks more frail to me is Richard Lewis.

• Love 5

I wouldn't think of not holding the door for a man or a woman who was approaching the door behind me.

It wouldn't occur to me that he or she would take it as an insult, as if I were saying, "I don't think you have the strength to open a door for yourself." Since I'm not saying that.

Maybe my attitude of consideration for others is generational? I hope not. I hope there are young people who are still polite. Never mind, I know there are.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

I wouldn't think of not holding the door for a man or a woman who was approaching the door behind me.

It wouldn't occur to me that they would take it as an insult, as if I were saying, "I don't think you have the strength to open a door for yourself." Since I'm not saying that.

Maybe my attitude of consideration for others is generational? I hope not. I hope there are young people who are still polite. Never mind, I know there are.

If I was behind you going through a door I would stop a few feet back, pretend to be doing something on my phone, or rifling through my wallet as if looking for something.  If you lingered I would take a few steps back, continuing what I was doing. If you then made it into a "thing" and continued to linger, I'd go back in my car and wait for you to get out of the way. LOL

• Love 2

I'm small and some doors are hard for me to open (yes, I look feminine) and appreciate it when anyone holds a door for me. I always try to look them in the eye and say thank you. My grandsons are all door openers. 

When someone else opens a door for you think of all the germs you are not getting by touching it!! 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

It wouldn't occur to me that he or she would take it as an insult, as if I were saying, "I don't think you have the strength to open a door for yourself." Since I'm not saying that.

I'm 42 and female, and I hold the door for everyone, but it does depend on distance. I'm not standing there for five minutes.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Is it Larry David-esque of me that I try to hold the door for others whenever possible, but deem it a little rude to not get a "thank you" or smile in return?

I hear you. :) I don't need a distinctly verbalized "thank you," but some kind of non-verbal noise that means the same thing, or like you say simply a smile, seems warranted.

Closely related: When as a driver you let another driver do something that you didn't have to let him do, and he doesn't give you the thank-you wave. But Larry dealt with that one in a Seinfeld.

• Love 7
On 10/2/2017 at 6:34 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

This was the first time I ever thought he looked like an old man. He's 70, but I always thought he looked like he was about 55 or so. 

And welcome to Naked City for those of us over 65.  It's rarely pretty, but it's always a surprise.

• Love 6

I'm 42 and female, and I hold the door for everyone, but it does depend on distance. I'm not standing there for five minutes.

I'll admit that I sometimes have hurried people along (using hand signals) when I'm holding the door, and they are just kind of meandering towards me. 

I don't think Larry David looks frail. I think he looks skinny but wiry and quite strong. The one who looks more frail to me is Richard Lewis.

I thought Larry looked fine.  I was taken aback by Richard Lewis' appearance.  I honestly wondered whether he was ill.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2017 at 2:17 AM, MsTree said:

There's been lots of instances in the series like that though. 

On 10/2/2017 at 1:21 PM, riverclown said:

Insofar as that scene -- what an A-H that woman was.

Yes, but Larry did look at her for a longish time. I honestly didn't know her gender and thought they were going in that direction, which I swear Larry was trying to surmise if she was male. To be fair, there was a distance issue. The whole "equation" excuse was great. I don't think he needed to apologize. He could have said, "I looked at you and you didn't hurry up, so I'm not your doorman and going to wait." 

I actually found the whole foisting gag much funnier than the fatwa. The fatwa seemed to sitcommy to me. I like when the show is about Larry yelling at someone for being a pig parker or flipping out when someone put trash in their trashcan. Kimmel's line was great after the pyramid scheme: Then someone will have to marry her. Susie just chewing out the assistant in the back ground of the fatwa scene was great because it left up to the imagination how bad the assistant was. I really hope the constipated excuse was an adlib because it was a great scene. 

We always joke how on television shows that someone calls someone else and tells them to turn on the tv and they turn it on instantly to the plot exposition. Here, Jeff was like ANY CHANNEL! 

• Love 2
On 10/2/2017 at 0:10 PM, atlantaloves said:

This was a great episode, I forgot how much I enjoy watching Larry suffer.  Everybody we know and love (and hate) showed up for the first episode, TERRIFIC.  And, man, what a crazy story line. I would have charged him 500.00 to cut that nasty man's hair, snort. 

Not everyone! No Funkhauser.

The first shower scene when he couldn't get the soap pump to twist off - OMG I hate when I get a defective pump like that, it does make you crazy!

Suffer no more. (You're welcome, Larry.)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, scrb said:

So Larry is going to continue being under the fatwah while he'll probably learn that Cheryl will do things for Ted that she wouldn't when they were together.

Oh I think that's going to happen. He was trying to dissuade Ted from going after Cheryl by warning him of all the sexual favors that she wouldn't do. Without living with Larry and his neurosis' Im sure that his ex-wife has bloomed. When she and Ted were getting in the elevator all I could think of was 'already?'  That didn't take Ted and her long to get a hotel room.  

I thought it seemed silly to keep cramming every episode into one thread.  It gets confusing and harder to discuss a specific episode.

Good episode as always.  Larry's observation that "everyone wants to be a pickle hero" cracked me up.  His plan, the titular Pickle Gambit, seemed like such a stupid idea.  Who goes into a hotel lobby and just asks for help opening a jar of pickles?  Yet it worked like a charm and provided such a perfect diversion that Larry himself couldn't seem to resist after he had made contact with the hooker and was trying to follow Ted and Cheryl.

I have to say, though, that I've never had trouble opening any jar in my adult life.  I guess this could be a big problem for someone older or weaker or arthritic and what not.  My mother has asked for my help opening jars several times.  Sometimes I find a stubborn one, but in that case I learned that you can just tap the edges with a butter knife.  The idea is to make a series of dents the whole circumference of the lid.  Works like a charm.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good episode.  I could do without the masturbation stuff though.  Just kind of a cheap laugh. 

The pickle fight in the kitchen was hilarious.  

“It hides the jew”. In regards to Larry’s disguise had me laughing.

Larry’s reaction to the tongs falling on the floor and her putting them back on the table was so predictable but still hilarious.

• Love 3

If I had to be a bit critical, these episodes this season do a little too many of the nitpicks that Larry likes to do.  He crams several of them into each episode instead of just one.

My recollection is that in previous season, he paced them more, like one an episode or every two episodes.

Almost as if he's trying to put together a greatest hits collection for every episode.

And the level of mania feels higher throughout the episodes.

• Love 2

Thought this was a great episode. I rarely laugh out loud when watching something by myself, but I was cracking up when Larry saw Mary Steenburgen with the faux-Larry. I do agree that this feels a little 'greatest hits' where he is doing several of his observations in each episode. Maybe he felt like after the long layoff he really needed to prove that he still had ideas. Still, it doesn't really bother me too much. I'm glad to have Larry back and I'm happy that the show has maintained a relatively high quality level. A lot of times these revivals turn out to be bad ideas and the magic is gone. This still feels like Curb to me and I think if viewed binge-style, this season will pretty much fit right in with the rest of the series without any noticeable dips in quality or change in tone. Maybe everyone looks older, but surprisingly I think everyone (save Richard Lewis) has aged quite well.

Just had to also say that Larry is right---those were totally Pepperidge Farm cookies. Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 4

I'm with Larry, don't tell me those cookies were made by a chef when I am quite familiar with PF cookies, thank you very much, and yes, tongs do ruin the cookie, oh oh oh, and also I love it when men get all manly about opening jars, seriously, THEY DO. I laughed my ass off.  Larry is seriously do a total "George"  and "Jerry" this week.  (in that he is a pig and also a germ freak)

Yep, I bet that Ted Danson gets the full treatment from Cheryl, you can count on it. I certainly would give it up for Ted, let me tell ya!

• Love 3

So Larry has a fatwah on him, and there are multiple jokes with Larry's antics causing tension with Muslims.

Also, Jeff's daughter Sammy is engaged to a veteran who served in Afghanistan.

These two facts are going to come together in a disastrous way later....

• Love 3