Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Galileo908

S29.E02: Springfield Splendor

This was a really well-animated episode. The show needed to be fluid and work with the visuals to make the story work, and it certainly delivered. After this and the season premiere, I expect the rest of the season to be animated Clutch Cargo style to make up for what's left of the budget.

Kumiko finally got to do something?! And she was funny?! Color me impressed. "I have brought shame. I must commit furry cosplay."

That short snippet of CBG watching an unboxing video really nailed those things.

I honestly liked this story. In act 2, everyone fell in love with Lisa's story, while ignoring Marge's artwork while in act 3, Marge's style was favored over Lisa's story. It seemed like Angry Dad but with Marge and Lisa, but mostly everything worked out? I just got back from New York Comic Con, so I got a huge kick out of the Bi-Mon Sci-Fi Con segment, especially the panel. I was at the Hey Arnold panel and some woman used her question time to promote her son, "the talented young artist."

So many cameos tonight: Dan Harmon, Alison Bechdel of the Bechdel Test (and had a pretty fun gag to it), Roz Chast,  Rachel Bloom, and Martin Short as a tall weirdo (quite a change from his usual roles of tiny weirdos). That play was nuts. Well-animated nuts. I loved that not only that the play managed to capture details not in Lisa & Marge's books (like Homer's love of Sail magazine) and how it's not really addressed. Fun fact: the score is actually from Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark. 

I also enjoyed Rachel Bloom's character. She actually got to contribute past the first act!

"I'M HAUNTED BY VISIONS OF MILHOUSE!!" Sideshow Mel was on fire tonight.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 3

Marge failing the Bechdel Test really made me laugh.   Was that not Marjane Satrapi herself?  I didn't see her name in the credits but I might have just missed it. 

By any chance, did anyone notice in the dream chart what dreaming about North Dakota means?  I think it was death but it was too quick. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Marge failing the Bechdel Test really made me laugh.   Was that not Marjane Satrapi herself?  I didn't see her name in the credits but I might have just missed it. 

They scroll by fast. She was in there.

They scroll by fast. She was in there.

Thanks! I figured she had to be - why would they have someone else do her voice if they were going to include her. 

8 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

By any chance, did anyone notice in the dream chart what dreaming about North Dakota means?  I think it was death but it was too quick. 

South Dakota was sex, North Dakota was Death.

Lisa's school locker dream is eerily similar to one I still have almost every year just before school starts. And I have been out of school for many decades. 

• Like 2

I was surprised by how much I liked this episode. Martin Short's character was perfect. And it was nice to remember that Marge can draw.

Marge and Lisa playing Hot Sharpie was gold, and Bart and Homer trying to go fishing a la Andy Griffith only to get beaten up by the guys whose fishing poles they stole was hilarious. Also loved the sight gag of Homer and Maggie splitting PM pizza and AM waffles.

But of course Marge reverts to form, mewling about how she's underappreciated and making it all about her. Yes, she illustrated everything but it was Lisa's memoir and therefore her story. I did like her cartoon at the end though. It was cute.

On October 9, 2017 at 9:22 AM, M. Darcy said:

Marge failing the Bechdel Test really made me laugh.   

Loved that too. Ironically, had it not been for that line, this episode was the closest she came to passing it.

That play was bonkers. At one point, the Marge was squaring off against the big robot Homer wielding a chair and a pencil.