Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Mid-Western Assassin

• Start Topic

Oh Meadow, you sad couch potato. She knew Kai was using her, she just didn't care. What else has she going on for her by that point? Even Harrison was done with her.

Yeah, how dare Allyson respond to pain like any functioning living creature would when Ivy would have creepily cherished every single contraction! *gags* 

You know, every time I think there is no way Ivy can get any worse, she goes and beat all odds. Just how old is Ozzy? I remember Allyson confiding to Rudy how just being with Ivy help her get over her phobias and embrace life and now it turns out Ivy deary was faking it the whole time. Gah! What kind of narcissist sociopath does that?! ALLY DID NOTHING WRONG IN THAT FLASHBACK. "My baby" is just a manner of speaking. Ozzy likeness to Ivy is no coincidence - they must have used her eggs and had Allyson act as a surrogate. They are both Ozzy's biological moms. Ivy needs to stop projecting her own insecurities on Allyson and take some goddamn responsibility for her own shortcomings and royally fucked up thought process. And hell, for someone who doesn't want their child to suffer, Ivy sure is putting Ozzy through a truckload of traumatizing shit. You would think Allyson just dying would be a lot easier for him to assimilate in the long run than having her mother committed for mass murder, yeah?

Speaking of which- "fuck you" indeed, Rudy, no more gaslighting for this gal. I love the glimpses of the true Allyson we get here and there- now, this is a woman who wouldn't go down without putting up a fight. Ironically, had she reacted like she has been doing since her phobias set in and trust the good doc, they couldn't have framed her for the shooting. I don't think that was on anybody plans, it was more of a bonus.

Anyone else got the impression Rudy was just trying to do some damage control instead of actively helping Kai and Winter there?

Dammit, Sally! I liked you so much better than half the cast already, why did you have to go and fall for the lethal turn-your-back-on-the-easily-accessible-from-the-outside-windows trope! Oh well, we'll always have that epic City Council Meeting Room takedown.

I didn't realize I was watching the censored edition until Ivy came out running out of nowhere after Meadow took her brains out. Thank you kindly to the poster who shared the uncut scene, now it all makes a bit more sense. (Why did stray bullets always miss bad people? I certainly wouldn't have minded if Ivy took one for the team.)

• Love 9

Was I watching this or something else when I heard someone say that Charles Manson was a "product of the '60s"? If it was something else, then this post is irrelevant--sorry! But if it was this (or, really, no matter what it was), I thought it an odd thing to say, considering he was born in the '30s, so not a "product" of the '60s, really (well, depending on what construes a "product," I guess).  

Caught myself Googling photos of Evan Peters last night. Man, I am late to the "he's a dreamboat" train!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Mattipoo said:

Now that Ally has been "set up" as the shooter, I wonder where the rest of the season will take us. Guess Kai will become nationally famous and try and take over the White House? Looking forward to seeing Frances Conroy and (I think) Lena Dunham next week.

I'm excited for Francis Conroy.  Not excited about Lena Dunham at all.  With any luck, she will have even less screen time than Emma Roberts had this season.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I thought it an odd thing to say, considering he was born in the '30s, so not a "product" of the '60s, really (well, depending on what construes a "product," I guess).  

I thought it meant had not the 60's happened, there wouldn't have been a Manson.  He needed all the turmoil, angst and discontent that was characteristic of the decade to bring his followers together.

• Love 8

But if it was this (or, really, no matter what it was), I thought it an odd thing to say, considering he was born in the '30s, so not a "product" of the '60s, really (well, depending on what construes a "product," I guess).  

Along with what the other poster said, I'd add that Manson really mined the counter culture for things to manipulate his followers with, and only had access to certain resources because of the summer of free love etc etc etc. He was a petty, not terribly successful thief without the hippie movement.

What kind of narcissist sociopath does that?! ALLY DID NOTHING WRONG IN THAT FLASHBACK.

So I will defend Ivy a little. Just a little.

No, Ally did nothing wrong except have the baby that Ivy wanted all while functioning little better than a child herself. That's going to create resentment. 

It does not justify crazy murder.

Also it appears that Gary has not been told that Winter and Ivy are the two women who forced him to cut off his hand. I predict this will be significant.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 3

Along with what the other poster said, I'd add that Manson really mined the counter culture for things to manipulate his followers with, and only had access to certain resources because of the summer of free love etc etc etc. He was a petty, not terribly successful thief without the hippie movement.

True; that guy loved that Dale Carnegie book and he was also a fairly astute opportunist (but not a "product of." Just saying that if I were editing a book that used the phrase regarding CM--and, oh, how I would love to...not that there's all that much left to say, I guess--I'd change it).

Were we told when Ally started seeing this particular therapist? Did I miss it? Should I assume that Ivy directed her to him?

Edited by TattleTeeny

Actually I am quite certain Ally has been seeing the therapist since before the election. She references in the first episode, which was right after the election, that the coral was upsetting her and that she had been coping and handling that "for months" when visiting the therapist.

Mind you, I am beginning to question the writing and whether they are really keeping track of things. The issue of Harrison being on tv covered with blood with his wife missing has yet to be addressed. This is a fairly small cult and a fairly large city - Beverly Hope MIGHT control the tv news but newspapers are still around and the cult is pretty sloppy. Point:

Harrison and Meadow filmed Kai being beaten. They maybe could have done an anonymous thing with that.

Harrison worked for a man whose body ended up in various different places. There's ONE cop in the cult. They don't control the police dept.

Harrison and Meadow move almost immediately into the home of the murdered city councilman.

Harrison gave the gun to the woman who then accidently shot an unarmed man in the house across the street.

Harrison is on tv covered in blood declaring his wife has disappeared from his home, which again, just previously had a murder.

Harrison is at a campaign rally that turns bloody. His *missing wife* is at the very least going to be found among the victims.

This is just Harrison - Beverly's trail of bodies is also pretty obvious, and Ivy is hardly covering her tracks as well. 

The problem with wacky and weird killing sprees is that they attract outside attention. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, rubinia said:

It looked like the back of the mask had a donkey's head. Fitting for Ivy and her issues with politics.

It was Harrison and his boyfriend having fun in the grocery store in the first episode. Just a random piece of info. Also as far as the masks my favorites I think are brain head clown and the one kai uses the two head face. I like ivy elephant one too with the back donkey face.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:12 PM, mansfolly said:

I too wondered if that Elephant head clown was Ivy.  Guess it was.

They revealed that previously when she was in her clown clothes with her mask off.  First time I saw the back with the donkey, so you can be a Republican or Democrat by flipping the mask around.

Good to see Mare Winningham...albeit briefly.

So no one witnessed Meadow doing the actual shooting and not Ally.  Not buying it.  Someone would have seen it, even with all the chaos.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3

Also it appears that Gary has not been told that Winter and Ivy are the two women who forced him to cut off his hand.

But, wait - didn't he see them when they tied him up? I don't remember them covering his head or anything when they handcuffed him and taunted him about not being able to vote. And he should have known who they were anyway because he initiated the whole thing by heckling them.

• Love 2

Kai also told Ivy that Gary was so drugged up at the hospital, that he had no recollection of who kidnapped him - which Kai used as leverage to get Ivy to lock pinkies.

This is my first season watching the series. Creepy AF, but I'm into it (though I didn't need to see Dermot Mulroney lick shit off his fingers), and I'm glad Halloween falls on a Tuesday.

Dang, I was so excited to see Mare Winningham and then she up and died. Oh well, it was awesome while it lasted. Also, Ivy is a bitch. That is all. 

All I have to say about next week's episode is BALENCIAGA!!!!!!! ???

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Ah, but Kai rescued him and showed him the true path to power, how to sacrifice blah blah blah. Kai isn't the two bitches who abducted him to begin with.

He's just the guy who conveniently showed up with the saw and refused to help get Gary free any other way (i.e. clearly in league with the two).

• Love 1
On 10/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, peridot said:

That wasn't really edited at all, right?  It still had a lot of gun violence.  What would they consider to be extreme violence?

Anyway, I was hoping Meadow was being straight with Ally.  I guess Meadow finally got that great screw she was chasing down. 
Just looking at Kai gives me the creeps, can you imagine him being one inch away from your face?

I'm surprised Ally wasn't more suspicious of the people around her.  Meadow was just laying unrestrained in the open grave & she was just sitting in the garage after they supposedly kidnapped her again. 

I just felt sorry for Ally this episode.  She shouldn't have made that "my baby" remark, but she doesn't deserve to be gaslighted.

Oh it was definitely edited, I watched the unedited version the next day on FXNOW and it was definitely chilling.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, peridot said:

Just looking at Kai gives me the creeps, can you imagine him being one inch away from your face?

Um, hell yes.

On 10/11/2017 at 2:43 PM, OldButHappy said:

I won't be watching the unedited version, but I'll bet that the images of those shot at the rally were much more gruesome and bloody than the images that we saw;  I missed the first  couple of minutes of the show, so didn't see the note about the T.V. version being edited or the beginning of the shooting.  

I turned in the show two minutes or so into it, saw Ally with the gun, and wondered why all the people were lying on the ground not moving.  Knowing that this show has so much gore, shooting victims with no blood made me think they were cult members just acting like they were shot.

It wasn't until I watched the beginning of the 11pm episode that I figured out why the mass shooting was so bloodless.

I did want to watch the unedited version because this actually is real life. Especially after the Las Vegas massacre. It was not gory. Chilling would be the proper word to explain it, and Ivy (Allison Pil) was amazing, she seemed simply terrified.

On 10/11/2017 at 3:24 PM, Chaos Theory said:

i don't think so.  Not at this time.  It might be updated later.    It may be offered at the end of the season as a special feature.

It’s available on demand and on FX now. Not gory, terrifying and chilling. Worked real well, ashame they had to edit but totally realize why of course.

Edited by GoneGirl
12 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

m excited for Francis Conroy.  Not excited about Lena Dunham at all.  With any luck, she will have even less screen time than Emma Roberts had this season.

My feelings exactly! I adore Frances and hopefully we will get her for at least a couple episodes....

• Love 1
On 10/10/2017 at 5:12 PM, mansfolly said:

Good episode. A few random thoughts.

"Nothing shocks me. I went to Berkley."

"Nobody's going to believe that. Of course they will. It's on Facebook."

Haha! "Wow, can I have a cappuccino?"

"You can't just join it like it's the AARP, he has to choose you". Gonna miss Meadow.

On 10/10/2017 at 5:12 PM, mansfolly said:

For me, when I watch Evan Peters.... he reminds me of a young Depp.  I could see Johnny in this role in the early 90s.

Sorry Mare W. was killed off so early. She's a great actress.

Agreed! 

I was actually shocked that Oz was Ally's, not Ivy's, with the blonde hair and glasses. I started to not like Ivy in the beginning when she was so impatient with her wife about her phobias, "What now, Ally?" "This shit again?" "You are acting crazy!" Whoa!

Anyone else wondering why Kai takes adderall? It's usually prescribed for ADHD or narcolepsy. I was thinking that maybe Kai is like Brad Pitt in Fight Club or that a lot of this is actually just dreams sequences. 

Random question, what did Ally give Ivy in the Tiffany's-looking box? Was it a vibrator? I rewound three times and couldn't figure it out.

Also, hey peacheslatour! (I know you from the Y & R forum :) )

7 hours ago, KatsaKriid said:

All I have to say about next week's episode is BALENCIAGA!!!!!!! ???

YAS KWEEN!!

I can’t remember anyone’s name in this show. Someone mentioned being glad that Gary was participating more, and I just sat here, blinking. *Who the HELL is Gary?* Thankfully someone else mentioned the hand being cut off and I figured it out. I wasn’t even aware he had been named. I also can’t think of the shrink’s name, or if the cult cop has ever been identified. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, littlemommy said:

I can’t remember anyone’s name in this show. Someone mentioned being glad that Gary was participating more, and I just sat here, blinking. *Who the HELL is Gary?* Thankfully someone else mentioned the hand being cut off and I figured it out. I wasn’t even aware he had been named. I also can’t think of the shrink’s name, or if the cult cop has ever been identified. 

I have the same problem with those characters. I do know Ally, Ivy, Ozzy, Winter, Kai, Harrison, Beverly and Meadow. But the rest are a blur. And when they revealed that Bev's cameraman was also in the cult, I didn't even recognize his face.

• Love 3

Sarah Paulson as Allyson "Ally" Mayfair-Richards

Evan Peters as Kai Anderson

Cheyenne Jackson as Dr. Rudy Vincent Anderson

Billie Lourd as Winter Anderson

Alison Pill as Ivy Mayfair-Richards

Billy Eichner as Harrison Wilton

Emma Roberts as Serena Belinda  (newswoman attacked in park)

Mare Winningham as Sally Keffler    (woman attempting to run against Kai)

Adina Porter as Beverly Hope

Leslie Grossman as Meadow Wilton

Colton Haynes as Detective Jack Samuels

Cooper Dodson as Ozymandias "Oz" Mayfair-Richards

Chaz Bono as Gary Longstreet   (The One-armed man)

Dermot Mulroney as Bob Thompson    (Newsguy with Gimp)

James Morosini as R.J.    (The cameraman with nails in his head)

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Fusion said:

Why does Ivy wear stripes so much? Even her clown costume is stripes. Any significance? 

No idea, but I'm wondering now if it's foreshadowing that at the end of all this it will be her in prison, taking the fall for Kai.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Pixel said:

No idea, but I'm wondering now if it's foreshadowing that at the end of all this it will be her in prison, taking the fall for Kai.

The stripes could be symbolic of playing both sides, if there's some other power besides Kai in this.

11 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

I was actually shocked that Oz was Ally's, not Ivy's, with the blonde hair and glasses.

I missed this scene; did they say which was evil enough to burden their son with a name like "Ozymandias"? :-)

Actually, I suspect the name is a clue as to how things will turn out for Kai.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brooke0707 said:

Saying "my baby" and being in pain while giving birth = I'm gonna make you crazy and arrange for your murder now?  WTF?!

My cousin's newborn baby was handed to his mom before his wife.  His wife hated his mother because of this, until they divorced.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Brooke0707 said:

Saying "my baby" and being in pain while giving birth = I'm gonna make you crazy and arrange for your murder now?  WTF?!

Ivy has a bad side I am sure she did some shady stuff before she ever ran into winter. No matter how much you get fed up with someone a normal person just does not do the things she is doing. By normal I mean someone who knows the difference from right and wrong and has a conscience.

• Love 3
On 10/11/2017 at 10:26 AM, Avaleigh said:

I need clarification at this point on the shrink's role in the cult. He never seems like he has to kill people or go to meetings or hang out with the others at all. At the same time, he's clearly involved and he has some control over Kai in that he's more than likely the one who is keeping him medicated. I have a feeling that Kai would freak out without his pill supply so I feel like the brother has the upper hand over Kai in that sense. 

Oh, and I'm more convinced than ever that Kai was responsible for the deaths of his parents. Seeing the way he killed Mare and talking about how awesome it is to kill, I bet that he put the gun in his mother's mouth. 

Also, what if Ally didn't go to the rally? What if she freaked out and ran away like the other bystanders? How would they know that she'd try to stop Meadow by actually grabbing the gun? There are so many things that might have gone wrong with this plan. What if Meadow's gun aim had been poor and she'd shot Kai somewhere fatal?

Hmm. I’m not sure their plan HAD (re: the rally) to rely on Ally on at all. Meadow loved Kai, enough to die for him, and follow out his plan for the rally. They really didn’t need Ally at there at all except she DID show up and now things look bad for her. Did I miss an important part that it was in the plan for Ally to be at that rally?

On 10/12/2017 at 9:53 PM, Fusion said:

Why does Ivy wear stripes so much? Even her clown costume is stripes. Any significance? 

Hmm-stripes=jail?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GoneGirl said:

Hmm. I’m not sure their plan HAD (re: the rally) to rely on Ally on at all. Meadow loved Kai, enough to die for him, and follow out his plan for the rally. They really didn’t need Ally at there at all except she DID show up and now things look bad for her. Did I miss an important part that it was in the plan for Ally to be at that rally?

Hmm-stripes=jail?

I don't think you missed anything.  Meadow looked surprised to see Ally there and then tried to avoid her.  I think it was just good luck for the cult that she showed up at the right time and that Meadow managed to get Ally's hands on the gun for the final shot. 

Rewatching it, it's clear that the shooter has long manicured nails, but when we see Ally with the gun in the opening scene, her nails are much shorter.  Which would have been obvious if I'd been paying attention when watching it first and not so shocked to see who was doing the shooting!  (my first reaction was "No, Ally, no!", a few seconds later I was all "yay, she shot the bastard!")

• Love 1
On 10/14/2017 at 7:00 PM, GoneGirl said:

I'm not quite sure anymore, but I remember Kai talking about Ally's part of the shooting when he had sex with Meadow. Something like "Nobody will believe a crazy woman" or something something. No?

On 10/14/2017 at 9:00 AM, GoneGirl said:

Hmm-stripes=jail?

So I watched this again and paid attention to something i did not notice before. It was in the flashback scene when ally is breast feeding baby ozz in what looks like his room.  It must have been when they first brought him home because there are those decoration things at the top of the wall like for a celebration. Nothing at all unusual about that except for the fact the things on the wall are black.  That is a weird and morbid choice in color for your baby right? Now I get weird and morbid because in am kind of like that but now sure I would get black for a baby. Not that it's bad or anything to get black for a baby I don't know just feels strange for a new baby. There were  also black and white striped curtains. Those in itself are not weird but fit with this stripe thing we are talking about. I did think the little black banner things on the wall were weird for a baby. If they were planning in the plot to eventually reveal something weird about oz being connected with the events then this little symbolism with the black colors would be genius. However I don't get the impression that will happen.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Stringey said:

So I watched this again and paid attention to something i did not notice before. It was in the flashback scene when ally is breast feeding baby ozz in what looks like his room.  It must have been when they first brought him home because there are those decoration things at the top of the wall like for a celebration. Nothing at all unusual about that except for the fact the things on the wall are black.  That is a weird and morbid choice in color for your baby right? Now I get weird and morbid because in am kind of like that but now sure I would get black for a baby. Not that it's bad or anything to get black for a baby I don't know just feels strange for a new baby. There were  also black and white striped curtains. Those in itself are not weird but fit with this stripe thing we are talking about. I did think the little black banner things on the wall were weird for a baby. If they were planning in the plot to eventually reveal something weird about oz being connected with the events then this little symbolism with the black colors would be genius. However I don't get the impression that will happen.

I've read that newborns can visually perceive black and white more easily than colors. Some experts recommend black and white decor and toys for newborns.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

I've read that newborns can visually perceive black and white more easily than colors. Some experts recommend black and white decor and toys for newborns.

Oh did not know that. Yep ally would be the kind of person that would do what all the professionals suggest.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 1:07 PM, RedMal said:

I'm not quite sure anymore, but I remember Kai talking about Ally's part of the shooting when he had sex with Meadow. Something like "Nobody will believe a crazy woman" or something something. No?

Right he was telling Meadow that she needed to “bear witness “ and tell Ally everything about the cult, no one would believe a crazy woman. But I’m not sure she got invited to the rally by Meadow, I have a feeling she was just there, maybe to check out what Kai was all about?

On 10/16/2017 at 8:09 AM, rhofmovalley said:

Wouldn't that hamper development of color vision? There have been experiments with animals that would suggest so.

I'm catching up to the episodes, and I haven't seen episode 7 yet, but I call BS on Ally being prosecuted for shooting Kai.  Among all those people, SOMEONE would have recorded the shooting.  There would be at least one, if not several, recording of Meadow shooting Kai and Ally taking the gun from Meadow when Meadow shot herself.  Her going down for shooting Kai would be pure plot contrivance.  I will watch episode 7 to see how this plays out.