Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Outbreak

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Pindrop said:

As to why does he take these roles? I would posit two reasons: -

1) He is an Executive Producer and (although unravelling as this season progresses) it was doing good metrics.  

2) It probably strokes his ego. The show has been created around him in the role of an idealised, selfless, Mary-Sue of a President (who actually comes across as smug, self-satisfied and self-righteous due to the absence of any subtlety or nuance in the writing or his character).   

You hit the nail on the head.

I think it's all ego, in that he let 24 get to his head. He's had good though not that flattering roles before (playing the Klansman in A Time To Kill comes to mind), but now it seems he can't resist the temptation to meddle with his material.

It's why we've had four showrunners in such a short span and why Kirkman transformed from a headstrong, naive idealist to the Mary Sue he is today. Kiefer just can't resist meddling to stroke his ego.

I know this is a broken record at this point but I miss the Kirkman who had to pick between a rock and a hard place. The Kirkman who thought politics was so easy only to realize it's not.

Heck, the Kirkman who was allowed to fail.

No wonder ratings are in the tank.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, AEMom said:

The way they were talking,  they seemed to have a past history, which if they did, then I completely missed the explanation.

Like Lawyer Lady from season one who had early-onset dementia. 

• Love 1
On 10/12/2017 at 7:04 AM, TaraS1 said:

Alicia did say on Instagram yesterday that last night was her first appearance.  Of course she also said her character was named Tracy...lol

I hope this doesn't portend the arrival of an EVIL TWIN!

• Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 9:33 AM, AEMom said:

Have we seen the Tammy character before?

The way they were talking,  they seemed to have a past history,

They were professors at Columbia together...Kirkman mentioned salary negotiations.. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, paigow said:

Sorkin wrote "The American President" before he created "The West Wing" - so for all the complaints that DS is ripping off WW... Sorkin ripped off himself first....

The American President was and is, one of my favorite movies!  Annette Benning was terrific and, Michael Douglas was......younger and gorgeous. Always good eye candy for me. I own the movie and drag it out on snowy winters day  because I am curled up with my hot cocoa and enjoy the relaxation of a well loved movie  Of course West Win is the gold standard.   I am sorry Designated is going down hill. I had great hopes.   I do recall in a very early episode that his wife's family was Russian  === light bulb went off --- there is a plot line waiting to happen.  Keifer for President please!

• Love 4

I liked this episode much more, had me on the edge of my seat like all season one did. They contained the outbreak too fast tho, shoulda dragged it out more. And what was toms weird relationship with Tammy or whatever her name is!? That seemed strangely flirtatious. Love seeing Keifer put people in their place like the medicine guy. Lyor is really growing on me as well, he brings a much more comedic sense to the show which it needed 

The relationship between Hannah chuck and Damian is hilarious. I hope they keep that going. Damian needs to  toughen up a little bit though, if he's gonna be her badass sidekick her better live up to her past tv co stars or he won't last long. 

On 10/12/2017 at 7:37 PM, Moose135 said:

Actually, TWW served as something of a continuation of The American President.  He had written enough for about a 6 hour movie, and used that material as the basis to launch TWW.  Not that he wasn't fond of reusing some of his best stuff in later works.

The way he tells the story (which could be false modesty), he had a meeting with a development executive and had procrastinated on doing any sort of brainstorming.  The night before when he was flipping out, a writer friend (I feel he blamed Akiva Goldsman but could be wrong) said "hey, haven't you got a buttload of leftover American President stuff?  You should just go in and talk about that."  So he BS'ed his way through it.

On 10/15/2017 at 8:49 AM, Pindrop said:

I agree. I think he is bad in this, but he is working with terrible, terrible material. As to why does he take these roles? I would posit two reasons: -

1) He is an Executive Producer and (although unravelling as this season progresses) it was doing good metrics.  

2) It probably strokes his ego. The show has been created around him in the role of an idealised, selfless, Mary-Sue of a President (who actually comes across as smug, self-satisfied and self-righteous due to the absence of any subtlety or nuance in the writing or his character).   

I've actually wondered for a while if some of the stuff is so bad specifically because Kiefer tries to advise on it, and is plainly not a writer; just because that's a scenario that's happened multiple times before.  Star and EP makes suggestions which are crappy, and nobody on staff has the balls to say "no, we're not going to do that, because that sucks.  Leave us to do our jobs, please." Instead they say "Yeah, OK!  Great ideas, boss!", and cringe as they write them up.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2017 at 8:57 PM, Addie1917 said:

And what was toms weird relationship with Tammy or whatever her name is!? That seemed strangely flirtatious.

I thought that was so strange too!  I was like are these two in love or something?!  They were making me uncomfortable with their long pauses and longing looks.  Heh.