Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: The Relaxation Integration

As Sheldon stresses about picking a wedding date, Amy tries to convince him he has a more laid-back side. Also, Koothrappali and Stuart compete to win the heart of Bernadette's new co-worker, Ruchi.

Choosing between Raj and Stuart at this point is like choosing between indigestion and a migraine.

I loved the multiple aspects of Sheldon's personality at the end. I would watch a whole episode of that. And it was pretty big of Sheldon to let Amy take over wedding planning to what she wants (despite his reservations). That's pretty much what most guys do anyway.

• Love 21

Sheldon is just trying so hard isn't he? He really really tried with the flip flops and boy did it backfire on him. And instead of taking that as an example of why he should stop trying, instead he took a huge leap and turned the wedding plans over to Amy. That kind of growth from Sheldon would have been unimaginable even a couple of seasons ago. It's been so much fun to watch him evolve and yet still remain recognizably Sheldon. And if Amy gives him any crap about the Star Trek uniform under his tux, then she doesn't deserve him. That one sentence illustrated his understanding that while he thinks a Star Trek uniform is appropriate he recognizes that nobody else will and is making a compromise.

• Love 17

I loved Sheldon's flip-flop story.  It'll be interesting to see how he deals with Amy's wedding plans as they develop.

I loved this:

Sheldon:  'Why can't there just be one week each month for famous people to die?'  Amy: 'Well, they've already arranged to die in threes.  What more do you want?'  

• Love 24

Overall a good episode.  One thing I wondered though was when Sheldon was talking about wedding dates and which days to avoid - other people's birthdays etc.  why didn't anyone say anything about possible due dates for Bernadette?  Amy wants a June wedding will Baby Wolowitz have already arrived by then?  I'm too tired right now to do math :).

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

\

Sheldon:  'Why can't there just be one week each month for famous people to die?'  Amy: 'Well, they've already arranged to die in threes.  What more do you want?'  

I loved that too!  

1 minute ago, anna0852 said:

Bernadette is way too far along for a June baby. I think Wolowitz child should be arriving around maybe February.

Thanks!  I'm so glad they aren't going to have there be any drama with a baby deciding to make an appearance just as the bride is walking down the aisle!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Bernadette is way too far along for a June baby. I think Wolowitz child should be arriving around maybe February.

Which would be right in time for sweeps, how convenient! ;)

I loved Sheldon treating the wedding date selection as an optimization problem, though those of us who work with optimization know that you almost never find the perfect solution, you just try to find the best possible solution in a short amount of time.

Also loved how hard Sheldon tried with the flip flops, and Amy being so moved by it that she hugged him while he was still filthy.

Hated the B-plot, but then I usually hate anything involving Raj in recent years.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Thanks!  I'm so glad they aren't going to have there be any drama with a baby deciding to make an appearance just as the bride is walking down the aisle!

Me too because you know Amy's had her thunder with Sheldon stolen before by bigger things diverting everyone's attention away from her.  I'm tired and straining to remember how this played out in the past, but I know it has. 

ETA:  Was it when Leonard and Penny went to Vegas to get married?

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Hated the B-plot, but then I usually hate anything involving Raj in recent years.

I think the show is teasing us because it has to KNOW we're all hoping Raj gets his head out of his ass one of these days, but noooo, he's still acting exactly the same way as always and defeating himself.  Hopefully the perfect pot to his cover will come along and turn him into a likable human being.  I know a lot of people have already given up on that but I'm a hopeless romantic and still holding the torch for that!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

There's an episode of Friends where Joey and Ross are competing for the same woman, and they keep poking at the other (Ross brings Joey's PSA for STD awareness, Joey mentions Ross's ex-wives, and so on). It was fantastic and I wish tonight's episode had done more of that with Raj and Stuart. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Hopefully the perfect pot to his cover will come along and turn him into a likable human being. 

Reading this post while dozing off, it first registered as a hope for a new variety of medicinal marijuana that would cure Raj's personality problems,* which, while not witty, elegant prose, could actually work—but probably not on CBS.

*and maybe Sheldon's too?

• Love 5

LekoBoy: Not Priya (Artie Mann). Swati Kapila, who was in this episode, is younger, shorter, and has a lighter, less authoritative voice. Given that Mann played Priya, Raj's sister, for more than a season it would be pretty bizarre to cast her as someone Raj might date.

• Love 12

Wonder why Amy wants a June wedding? Wouldn't May work better, with May sweeps and all. ?

LOL'd when Sheldon said the furry toupee licked his hand. 

Also loved the scene in the laundry room. 

Good episode.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Me too because you know Amy's had her thunder with Sheldon stolen before by bigger things diverting everyone's attention away from her.  I'm tired and straining to remember how this played out in the past, but I know it has. 

I think the show is teasing us because it has to KNOW we're all hoping Raj gets his head out of his ass one of these days, but noooo, he's still acting exactly the same way as always and defeating himself.  Hopefully the perfect pot to his cover will come along and turn him into a likable human being.  I know a lot of people have already given up on that but I'm a hopeless romantic and still holding the torch for that!

I think the most recent example was when her birthday sex got interrupted by Bernadette going into labor with Halle. 

It would be nice if the show brought the vet back for Raj. She was the one who had the best chemistry with him so far. 

• Love 7

Sheldon gets to wear his Star Trek uniform under his tux, and Amy gets to plan the wedding and have it outside if she wants to.  Sounds fair to me.

Raj and Stuart are pathetic.  In the first few seasons of the show, I detested Howard, but somehow while Sheldon and Howard have grown a little, Raj and Stuart are devolving.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

There's an episode of Friends where Joey and Ross are competing for the same woman, and they keep poking at the other (Ross brings Joey's PSA for STD awareness, Joey mentions Ross's ex-wives, and so on). It was fantastic and I wish tonight's episode had done more of that with Raj and Stuart. 

Lol, yes, I just watched that episode yesterday. Joey: where do you think we lost her? 

Ross: Probabaly around gonorrhea.

Anyway, I laughed several times during this episode which is rare these days. Leonard’s line about if Amy wanted him to object during the wedding to let him know by giving him a baseball signal had me cracking up for several minutes. 

Also am tending to really appreciate Simon Helberg more and more as others have mentioned. He is fantastic. 

And I loved, loved Sheldon’s story about the flip flops. “Warm puddle of apple juice” ?

• Love 8

Anyway, I laughed several times during this episode which is rare these days.

24 minutes of crappy, unfunny, Raj and Stewart desperation centered drivel.....

And I loved, loved Sheldon’s story about the flip flops. “Warm puddle of apple juice” ?

Followed by 3 minutes of inspired humor. Yes, it was not a totally original premise or approach, but the lines were so purely Sheldon and so funny that it was the best thing on this show in several seasons. Ok, 6  minutes if you count the very funny premise of the "cold close"/bumper, with some decent lines. It was also nice that they did not write Sheldon as a complete asshole this time. 

Leonard’s line about if Amy wanted him to object during the wedding to let him know by giving him a baseball signal had me cracking up for several minutes. 

Ok, that line wasn't bad, nor was Bernie throughout, but it did not make up for the pain of watching Raj and Stewart, who by the way is looking really old.

• Love 2

I mean legit there were a couple of things I liked but the Raj Stewart thing was so beyond gross that it really colored my thoughts on this episode so much that I'm not sure I want to watch the next episode.  I probably won't quit.  I'm vaguely invested in the eventual wedding... but this is the first time I ended the show and went, "Eh, why do I watch this show?"

• Love 8

If Sheldon's flip-flop story had happened to me, I would have been a quivering mess; I'm surprised it didn't put him into a coma. I really felt sorry for the guy.

Bernadette drinking cranberry juice from a wine glass just to see people's reaction made me LOL.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, srpturtle80 said:

Leonard’s line about if Amy wanted him to object during the wedding to let him know by giving him a baseball signal had me cracking up for several minutes.

I didn't see that as a baseball signal. I thought that was Leonard trying to imitate the signal from The Sting. Leonard referencing an old movie (even one that isn't sci-fi/fantasy) made more sense than him referencing baseball. I did think it was sweet of Leonard to offer her a way out if she wanted it. 

• Love 12

I would have loved getting a closer look at Sheldon's date elimination whiteboard. While he was telling the story, over his shoulder were the end of the year dates. I enjoyed that he had December 25th blocked off as Isaac Newton's Birthday, not Christmas. Such a Sheldon thing to think of. I had to look though. Evidently Newton's 25th of December birthday was under the Julian calendar, not the modernly accepted Gregorian Calendar, which would place his birthday as the 4th of January. I'm sure Sheldon had both blocked off.

Also, the Council of Sheldons made me giggle. "Humorous Sheldon"

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I didn't see that as a baseball signal. I thought that was Leonard trying to imitate the signal from The Sting. Leonard referencing an old movie (even one that isn't sci-fi/fantasy) made more sense than him referencing baseball. I did think it was sweet of Leonard to offer her a way out if she wanted it. 

My bad. I’ve never seen that movie and and am an avid sports fan, so that’s where my mind automatically went. 

Although I just watched a clip of the nose touch from The Sting, and I thought there was a lot more to Leonard’s motion than just a simple nose touch, which makes me think the intent was a baseball signal. I’ll have to rewatch. Oh well, it’s neither here nor there, regardless I found it hysterical!

Edited by srpturtle80
Adding more thoughts
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

At this point, I'd rather see Stuart get the girl (and more screen time). If he did get the girl over Raj, it might be the kick in the pants that Raj needs. He's not funny anymore and is it so terrible to let him have some more personal growth?

• Love 10

I would have loved getting a closer look at Sheldon's date elimination whiteboard.

I did get a good look at it and April 9th was still open so I don't know why he didn't just pick that date.

Agree Raj and Stuart are tiresome and annoying at this point. But at the risk of beating a dead horse (oh, let's face it, that ship has already sailed), Chuck Lorre thinks pathetic men are just hi-larious. See: the devolution of Alan Harper on 3.5 Men.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, bybrandy said:

... but this is the first time I ended the show and went, "Eh, why do I watch this show?"

I asked myself that on a regular basis a couple of seasons ago, but last season was a slight improvement, and now I'm willing to cringe through a lot of it if there are a few chuckles to be had—which there were for me in this one—although I not only disliked the Raj-Stuart bit, but Sheldon's recounting of the flip flop experience was too gross to be funny, at least for me.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It’s Sheldon’s wedding, why can’t he wear the Star Trek uniform and forego the tux?  Amy knows who she’s marrying.

I think it is Sheldon's way of compromising.  He knows Amy wants a "traditional" wedding, and he's willing to do that for her...but he is going to stay true to who he is.  I actually thought it was a sweet touch, even if that has got to be really uncomfortable.

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I think it is Sheldon's way of compromising.  He knows Amy wants a "traditional" wedding, and he's willing to do that for her...but he is going to stay true to who he is.  I actually thought it was a sweet touch, even if that has got to be really uncomfortable.

I agree.  I really liked that scene especially after all the Raj/Stuart nonsense.  I think Leonard had the right prospective, "Does the girl get a say?"  Raj's "Let me have her, and I'll let you have the next one" was beyond cringe worthy and repulsive.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I actually thought it was a sweet touch, even if that has got to be really uncomfortable.

Sheldon idolizes Spock and TOS uniforms aren't very bulky. If he's going to be wearing the informal uniform we've occasionally seen, it's not much different than a sleeved t-shirt. In the more likely case that he goes with a formal uniform, he can wear it in place of a dress shirt, with an appropriately colored tux and skip the tie; the gold trim will make it a little flashy, but that's his taste in clothing, as demonstrated when Penny helped him pick out a suit back in S3.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, welnoc said:

At this point, I'd rather see Stuart get the girl (and more screen time). If he did get the girl over Raj, it might be the kick in the pants that Raj needs. He's not funny anymore and is it so terrible to let him have some more personal growth?

Me, too, mostly because no matter how pathetic a sad sack they make him, Stuart's still such a sweetie and Raj is just a raging misogynistic asshole with every word out of his mouth. 

• Love 9

They really, really need to stop the sad-sack writing for Raj and Howard. Not only is their behavior creepy and pathetic it's also boring. They both have interesting professional backgrounds. Remember when Raj was actually doing astronomy stuff (and not just mentioning it as a pick-up line)? Now the best we can hope for is him falling in love with an astrologist (at least Sheldon's reaction would be fun). And why can't Stewart - or his therapist - not remember that he used to be an artist? I'm still waiting for him to make a stellar career with a web-comic about a group of scientists and their geeky ways.

I loved Penny and Sheldon's exchange in the laundry room.

So you don't believe there's a Cartesian self that underlies the flux of experience?

Maybe in my twenties, not anymore.

• Love 13

I also liked when Leonard suggested getting married at Comic Con and all three girls shut him down at once.

They really, really need to stop the sad-sack writing for Raj and Howard. Not only is their behavior creepy and pathetic it's also boring. 

Howard and Raj were always the pathetic losers in the original group of four; Leonard at least had Penny, Leslie and Pria, while Sheldon was more or less asexual for the first 8 or 9 seasons. But once Howard sort of grew up it's like they felt they needed to bring Stewart into the mix to retain the "2 losers" formula.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s Sheldon’s wedding, why can’t he wear the Star Trek uniform and forego the tux?  Amy knows who she’s marrying.

For the pictures!  You don't want to have a lovely shot with everyone else coordinated and one fool in a Star Trek uniform.

Amy looks like she is already wearing her Star Trek uniform under her clothing.  I will never understand why they put so many garments on her.  In real life Mayim may be modest, but she doesn't look stuffed.  Amy always wears a sweater, with a vest and a button down shirt under that, and it looks like at least 3 T shirts under that.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, GussieK said:

My cousin had a destination wedding at the former Star Trek Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton. He and the best man wore Trek uniforms. His wife is very understanding . . . 

I think if you want to do something that different for your wedding and both the bride and groom are onboard that's great.  Turning the tables if Amy wanted a Little House on the Prairie wedding would Sheldon go along with it?  If he would then I could see him expecting the same thing from Amy.  As it is I think he respects (as much as Sheldon is capable of respecting any POV but his own) that Amy wants a traditional wedding and he's willing to go along with it for her.

• Love 3

Nothing says that they can't have two ceremonies. The first can be the fancy wedding that Amy has dreamed of, with Sheldon in a tux. The second would be something smaller with a Star Trek theme and Sheldon and Leonard wearing their uniforms. I expect Amy will be willing to wear something Trek-y too, and as Amy's "BFF", Penny will probably be matron of honor and have to dress up also (Orion slave girl for sweeps?)

• Love 4

I like the idea of Amy asking Sheldon if he'd wear Star Trek underware and T-shirt under the tux until most of the photo's were taken, then switch to a formal
Star Trek uniform for a few pictures.  Maybe she'd also switch to an appropriate Star Trek outfit. 

Then have a Star Trek-themed reception, costumes optional for the guests.  When people arrive at the venue, have a Star Trek ensign waiting outside to inform the guests that at the request of the bride and groom, the Holodeck has been programmed for a typical Old Earth Wedding Reception, circa 2018.  Have the doors slide open with the requisite opening and closing sounds.  People are announced by Howard or Leonard in Klingon.

A three piece band plays regular music with a few Star Trek pieces thrown in.  Make sure Sheldon's Thermin is there so he can sit in for the theme song of the original Star Trek. 

When all the guests have arrived, Sheldon and Amy arrive via Transporter.  (Howard will use his magician's knowledge to make this happen.)

Have the wait staff dressed appropriately and let them approach several Food Replicators inset into a false wall separating the dining area from the kitchen area to get the food delivered in the Star Trek (Next Generation and beyond) way.  Later on the guests can approach Beverage Replicators to request beverages that the hidden bartender will make up for them.

Sheldon and Amy will knock everyone out with their fantastic first dance, set to a lovely tune played in the Star Trek style.  When they're ready to leave, they will leave the Old Earth way and take a Limo to start out on that quaint old tradition of a honeymoon.

For the honeymoon they'd take off on a train, maybe even one with sleeper cars (Amy, don't forget to pack Sheldon that sexy train engineers costume you once daydreamed about).  Stay the next night somewhere that Amy likes and Sheldon can at least tolerate.  During the day, try to find things that they both like or take turns deciding what to do for the day or switch off every few hours.  Another train trip home and it's done.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Howard and Raj were always the pathetic losers in the original group of four; Leonard at least had Penny, Leslie and Pria, while Sheldon was more or less asexual for the first 8 or 9 seasons. But once Howard sort of grew up it's like they felt they needed to bring Stewart into the mix to retain the "2 losers" formula.

Lorre is an idiot.  I despised Howard in the early seasons of the show, hated his creepy harassment of Penny, never understood why Bernadette wanted to be with him, and wished he would get written out.  They toned down some of Howard's sleaziness, but they've made Raj and Stuart as bad as if not worse than Howard used to be, and it is not funny.

13 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Nothing says that they can't have two ceremonies. The first can be the fancy wedding that Amy has dreamed of, with Sheldon in a tux. The second would be something smaller with a Star Trek theme and Sheldon and Leonard wearing their uniforms. I expect Amy will be willing to wear something Trek-y too, and as Amy's "BFF", Penny will probably be matron of honor and have to dress up also (Orion slave girl for sweeps?)

Amy has made compromises for Sheldon in the past so I think she would be willing to do so here as well.  I like the idea of Amy getting the fancy wedding she has always wanted while Sheldon also gets something he wants.  That's the way relationships are supposed to work.

• Love 8
On 10/10/2017 at 10:32 AM, MaryMitch said:

If Sheldon's flip-flop story had happened to me, I would have been a quivering mess; I'm surprised it didn't put him into a coma. I really felt sorry for the guy.

Bernadette drinking cranberry juice from a wine glass just to see people's reaction made me LOL.

I absolutely agree. I'm surprised he actually SAT on the couch for as long he did AND let Amy hug him rather than bolting for the shower.  I can't imagine Sheldon from the past allowing it but it's progress right?

As a fellow germophobe, I couldn't get halfway through his story without my skin crawling or wanting to wash my hands *shudder* And yes I do carry train/bus gloves so I don't have to touch the poles ;)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BooksRule said:

She has worn a Star Trek uniform before--the time she and Sheldon played 'doctor' and she checked him out with a tricorder.

I'm sure there are other options besides a Starfleet uniform, but it'd be perfect if she did herself up like Nurse Chapel to go with Sheldon's Spock.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eri said:

I'm surprised he actually SAT on the couch for as long he did AND let Amy hug him rather than bolting for the shower.

I think he was still in shock and the horrible reality hadn't quite sunk in yet.

• Love 1