Type keyword(s) to search

Big Mouth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Any idea if it’s coming out this year?

I don't have any information for this, but I think a new (Season 5) of Big Mouth is coming out first and will establish that world before the new show Human Resources comes out. Big Mouth has been renewed up to Season 6.

• Love 1

Lovebugs and hate worms are amorphous creatures that can shift between the two forms (kind of like how caterpillars turn into butterflies, then pretend they can also change back into caterpillars). These characters will also appear in the upcoming Big Mouth spinoff "Human Resources". 

“Nick’s lovebug, Walter (Brandon Kyle Goodman), pushes Nick to pursue his feelings for Jessi until she publicly rejects him, turning Walter into a hate worm who leads Nick down a dark, rancorous path.”

“Meanwhile, Jessi’s lovebug, Sonya (Pamela Adlon), appears as Jessi gets closer with Ali and eventually wonders if she loves her as more than a friend”. “Jessi and Ali’s new close bond, and joint co-opting of Missy’s affinity group, sends Missy into her own hate spiral, fueled by hate worm Rochelle (Keke Palmer).

Jealousy, unrequited love, and newfound crushes abound in this new form-breaking season as the Big Mouth teens navigate 8th grade.”

• Love 3

Ali Wong left? It doesn’t sound like her. 

Episode 8 had me howling it’s that funny!

1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

They changed Leah’s voice, yeah?

I’m 4 episodes in. It’s better than season 4, from the get. Liked the reintroduction of the Shame Wizard in episode 2.

Yeah looks like Leah is being voiced by someone else!

Finished the season. It was fun although I am not sure if I liked Nick's ending or not. But angry Nick on the ski hill sure sounded like Lola.

The only thing missing was more Morty, he is my favourite. But him yelling at the turkey was really funny. And I liked how in his kitchen there was a scallops cookbook.

Connie is my other favourite still, especially when she goes off on how much she hates Jessie's parents (or the shame wizard). But I did like how he was used in the end. 

Also over the last few months I watched all of The Last Man on Earth so in the skiing episode it was weird to see another show where Kirsten Schaal was talking about diarrhea.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

And I liked how in his kitchen there was a scallops cookbook.

I missed that! I’ll have to go back and look.

Definitely preferred this to season 4. I’ll be very curious to see Matthew and Jay as a couple. I liked what he said about how Matthew just made him feel good - the person you’re with should make you feel good. I feel bad for Aidan though - that “acting like an asshole so they dump you” is the oldest trick in the book, and it’s a dick move.

”The walk” had me rolling. I love Lena and Quinta.

Really enjoyed the hate worms/love bugs. Keke Palmer was terrific.

• Love 1

Another strong season. I loved the idea of the Lovebugs turning into Hateworms (and vice versa.) The two feelings are very different but operate from the same level of intensity, and especially in a culture that still sends a lot of “don’t take no for an answer = romance” messages, it’s not a surprise that feelings of love can turn toxic quickly.

As an aromantic asexual, I also appreciated Jessi’s Lovebug’s point that love doesn’t have to be sexual, or even romantic. Obviously, Jessi went on to have some sexual feelings for Ali, but before that, her Lovebug was just as gung ho about platonic love between best friends.

I’m definitely curious to see what Jay and Matthew will be like as a couple. Throughout the season, I could see why Matthew might be attracted to Jay but not why he’d actually LIKE him, and the disastrous joyride in the jeans car left me going, “Well yeah, what did he expect?” But I do like what Jay said about Matthew making him feel good - shades of Devin and DeVon’s “divorce” last season, when everyone thought it was because Devin wouldn’t give him a hand job but then DeVon explains it was because she was mean to him. And goodness knows that, no matter what, these two will be entertaining together, and I appreciate plotlines that put Matthew more with the main cast. I enjoyed the recurring line between them of “Quick consent to…?”

Thank goodness for Lola’s mom’s parole officer Rodney. It’s about time she had someone in her life looking out for her.

Even if I hadn’t checked IMDb to confirm it, I definitely would’ve figured out Adam Scott was voicing the substitute English teacher. Loved the visual Parks and Rec shoutouts, from the Letters to Cleo poster to the Cones of Dunshire sighting! They did a great job skewering “cool hip teachers” with that character. I laughed so hard when Andrew said, “There’s reading? But I thought, ‘Fuck books!’ - I threw out all the books I own!”

• Love 2
On 1/12/2022 at 1:55 PM, Empress1 said:

Cool, but has anyone heard anything about exactly what kind of show this will be. Will it be a workplace comedy set entirely in the Human Resources office building? Or will the monsters and whatever be going to earth to visit people other than the Big Mouth kids? Or will they just put Maya Rudolph in a recording studio for 30 minute blocks and then build a show around what every random and hilarious stuff she says?

Human Resources is supposed to be "edgier and adult-ier" than "Big Mouth".

Human Resources pulls back the curtain on the daily lives of the creatures — Hormone Monsters, Depression Kitties, Shame Wizards and many more — that help humans journey through every aspect of life from puberty to parenthood to the twilight years. It quickly becomes clear that though the protagonists are creatures, they have a lot of humanity themselves.

Funny story: I am looking for a place and was in contact with an agent named Devon. (He’s a Black male, like the kid in the show.) I was in contact with him via email first and kept wondering if his name is pronounced DEH-vin or deh-VAUGHN. Met him in person and found out it’s the latter, like the show’s Devon. When he said his name I kept hearing it in Show Devon’s voice.

• LOL 4

After watching season 4, I didn't need to keep watching Big Mouth.  Season 4 was horrendously bad.  I gave up Netflix for over a year, but I renewed it for a limited time so I can finish Lucifer and After Life.  

So I did watch season 5.  I wouldn't say the season was bad.  Just not memorable.  When I watched this show originally, there were episodes I could watch repeatedly.  Season 1-3 had good gags, songs and memorable plot points.  I won't watch season 4 again and season 5 was forgettable. The show has really lost something.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, King of TV said:

What season will they finally be in high school?

Could be 7; they could finish 8th grade in 6. They were about halfway through the school year when season 5 ended on New Year’s.  High school could give the characters an opportunity to have them meet new people, see what happens when friends grow apart, maybe somebody gets an older significant other, etc. But it’s a cartoon so they could also pull a Simpsons and have them in middle school in perpetuity.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2022 at 12:31 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Looks fun, although this show always did make good trailers. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and power through the last 4 episodes of Human Resources. But it's hard because I really don't find it funny.

I’m still on episode 2. I don’t care for it 

6 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m still on episode 2. I don’t care for it 

I watched episodes 8 and 9 last night and I don't like it. I just want to get through it since they will probably reference it in the coming BM season. But the Love Bug characters are all more annoying than interesting. And some of the plots are way to serious (like the death of a family member). They should have made the hormone monsters the main characters and made little 10 minute cartoons (like how in kids cartoons you will get two separate stories in one 30 minute show. I mean when Rick is funnier than any of your main characters that is a problem.

• Mind Blown 1

Big Mouth Season 6    October 28    Netflix   10 episodes

Episodes 1-10    Titles and Description

Spoiler

S06.E01: The Hookup House 

After being snowed in with their families, the restless friends flock to Bridgeton's latest make-out spot. A new classmate catches Missy's eye.

S06.E02: Twenty Two and You

A DNA test leads Nick to uncover a wee family secret. Jay insists on introducing Matthew to the Bilzerian clan. Andrew puts his lovebug to the test.

S06.E03: Vagina Shame 

From itching to grooming to late blooming: There's no shortage of fodder for shame maven Rita St. Swithens in this special episode.

S06.E04: Rice Purity Test 28m

A viral quiz about naughty deeds sparks arguments and unlikely new friendships. Matthew plans a baby shower for Maury.

S06.E05: Andrew's Gonna Touch A Boob Tonight 

While Andrew prepares for a momentous evening with Bernie, Nick sets out to meet his secret grandfather, and Jay cooks up some romance for Matthew.

S06.E06: The Apple Brooch 

The voice of a slick, new tech accessory hypnotizes people into doing things they wouldn't normally do. Missy grapples with the concept of sin.

S06.E07: Dadda Dia! 

Lola hits the jackpot — in more ways than one. Missy takes her dad to Elijah's church. The Birches make a plan to get rid of their new housemate.

S06.E08: Asexual Healing 

Elijah tries to figure out why he doesn't have the same urges as his friends. A jealous Andrew hops a train to Vermont to surprise Bernie.

S06.E09: The Parents Aren't Alright 
While Andrew and Nick deal with parental crises, Jessi meets her new sibling, and Matthew realizes he's made Jay into a different person.

S06.E10: F**ked Up Friday 

A sudden outbreak of body-swapping yields awkward situations and poignant revelations galore.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2022 at 8:31 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I just want to get through it since they will probably reference it in the coming BM season. But the Love Bug characters are all more annoying than interesting.

I’ve watched the first two episodes of the new season and they definitely infuse it with Human Resources -

Spoiler

Maury’s pregnancy 

happened in Human Resources and carries over, and a love bug from Human Resources shows up.

Are they changing Devon’s voice since they actor died or getting rid of the character altogether?

Jessie realizing how Judd sees her was kind of sad and a late teenager (he’s probably 18-ish since Leah is 16) wouldn’t speak to a 13-year-old as though she’s a toddler, but it had to happen to close the door on Judd. 

On 10/29/2022 at 2:09 PM, Empress1 said:

I’ve watched the first two episodes of the new season and they definitely infuse it with Human Resources -

Reveal spoiler

Maury’s pregnancy 

I am 4 episodes in and other than Maury's pregnancy there doesn't seem to be too many plot points from Human Resources that have shown up. Which means I would probably skip season 2 of HR. Although seeing Cocky Balls-boa at the baby shower was pretty funny.

And it was nice to see how much funnier this show was than HR. And it's mostly because the characters are so much better, especially Andrew's hilarious dad. 

I also like what they are doing with Andrew's girlfriend. Because he has gotten slightly less gross because of her, which is good because before that it seemed like they were setting up future pervert serial killer.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I just finished the new season last night and my overall big question is : why so much singing? That used to be an occasional feature of the show and now it felt like there was a song in every episode for no good reason.  They could have done with Lola's three dads and called it a day. (And speaking of dads... could have done without Grandpa Birch entirely.)

Other than that, I was sad that Jay and Matthew broke up, but it was totally in character for both of them - Jay latching on to people please anyone that shows affection and interest toward him and Matthew believing that he has way more control (and thus responsibility) than he actually does. I just hope that Jay doesn't return to Lola - I've had enough of that storyline!

I do really like Jesse and Lola becoming closer - the shifting friendships are very true to middle school!

• Love 2

Yeah even the musical Lola episode was a lot for me, especially since it kind of went no where and we don't really know who Lola's three dads from her DNA test are. 

I liked that there was more of Andrew's dad, he is one of my favourite characters especially when he is angry about random stuff. 

I also liked Elijah, and at least to me how they dealt with his character seemed pretty good. And him going to visit the godfather of horniness was really funny. 

I also thought it made sense that Andrew and Bernie didn't last, because long distance relationships are hard. Having one when you are 13 would be impossible. And speaking of Andrew I love how Nick's mother just kind of hates him, is completely done with how gross he is and doesn't even bother to hide it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

And speaking of Andrew I love how Nick's mother just kind of hates him, is completely done with how gross he is and doesn't even bother to hide it.

I also really love how much Elliott (before this season, when his whole storyline was about his father) just adores all of Nick's friends, including Jay and Andrew. 

Ok, on reflection, Elliott might just be my favorite character on the show.

• Love 3

Finally finished the season. I loved Elijah's storyline. I also had a very religious upbringing, and "purity culture" was part of the reason it took me so long to realize I was asexual--I was like, "Come on, people, you just wait until you're married, what's so hard about that?", not realizing that for most people, including other Christians, that WOULD be hard. So glad he had his fabulous ace auntie looking out for him and supporting him as he was trying to figure things out.

I felt for Jessi, stuck between her mom's insecurity about her getting closer to Caitlin (sp?) and then struggling when the new baby came. At the hospital, when her dad looked down at Delilah and vowed to "do it right this time"? Ouch. Seeing her reluctant but growing friendship with Lola was nice. Whore sisters!

I enjoyed the Jay/Matthew relationship--they're both so different that the comic potential was inevitable, but at the same time they were weirdly sweet together. I understood why Matthew felt like they had to break up, and it's definitely reflective of how his character has softened that he realized changing Jay was a problem. I loved his delivery of, "Ooh, can we not use the word 'domesticated?'" when he and Jessi were talking about it. I wonder if they'll get back together next season, the finale didn't really address that.

I liked getting more of both Marty and Elliott, seeing more of Marty's vulnerabilities and realizing how much of Elliott's softness was an active choice on his part.

I had a bad track record of recognizing voice actors this season. I had no idea Brian Tyree Henry was playing Elijah or Peter Capaldi was playing Seamus until I saw it on IMDb.

• Like 1

‘Big Mouth’ Gets Season 7 Premiere Date, Teaser; Megan Thee Stallion, Chloe Fineman, Billy Porter Among Guest Stars

Big Mouth Season 7       October 20, 2023        Netflix

Season 7 follows the now teenage students of Bridgeton middle school as they make their way to high school. Change is the only constant as our characters are faced with a new school, new friends, new adversaries, and new Hormone Monsters.

Big Mouth Season 8 will be the final season.

• Like 2

Two episodes into the season and it is pretty good. Although even by this shows standards a character player by John Mulaney dealing with a serious addiction that is harming him and then having an intervention is kind of uncomfortable.