Type keyword(s) to search

Big Mouth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show is so great. Maya Rudolph is EVERYTHING! I wish Connie had been my hormone monstress...mine was probably more the female equivalent of Rick!

We were wondering, in Missy's sci-fi skit in the Planned Parenthood episode, if Maya/Connie was actually supposed to shout "Chewbacca SOOOOOUND!" or if that was the direction and she just read it out loud and they kept it. Either way, it was hilarious.

Thinking about whether the show is progressive, I'd say, yes, definitely. It puts everything out in the open, and is equitable about the (horrible and horrifying) experiences all teenagers have had. I sometimes wonder about the intended audience, though...it's obviously "mature" in content, language, etc. while capturing the puberty experience. But I can't imagine watching it with my teen stepdaughters, mostly because I think they would rather crawl into a hole than watch it with us parental types. So I'm thinking that teens and parents would be super embarrassed to watch it with each other, but teens could identify with it and benefit from watching it. I'm sure, with streaming culture, they're watching it on their tablets and such, far away from blushing but watchful adult eyes. 

• Love 1

This was the perfect show to do a Valentine's Day special.  All the songs were great, and I loved the talking heads with the kids and their Hormone Monsters.

I thought each main plot was pretty on-point, and I appreciate that they're continuing to expand on the minor characters (poor Lola, having to survive on perfume spritzes!)  Man, Andrew's stuff with Missy got ugly.  As ridiculous as the humor is, the show also does a good job showing how toxic masculinity hurts everybody, including guys.  I really liked Nick trying to figure out the whole Connie thing and ultimately realizing a) it's okay to be more sensitive and b) Connie's  female perspective can actually help him with girls.  Jay's "Ultimate Fuck Machine" fantasy was a lot of fun, and I like when they put Jessi and Matthew in friendship storylines together - having an ironic/cynical friend date was on brand for both of them.  As a Matthew fan, I was glad to get so much of him here, especially seeing him with Maury.  I really liked his talking head, and Maury's excitement at them finding another gay boy was weirdly sweet.

Oh, and that Michael Shannon Valentine's Day card was so unsettling, I loved it.

Some favorite lines:

Duke:  "They're like Doctors Without Borders, if the doctors ate each other out."

Matthew:  "Who's your valentine?  If you don't have one, you're probably ugly and don't know it."

Jay:  "I may have bitten off more than I can fuck.  Or is that fucked off more than I can chew?"

• Love 3

Judd and his dad:

Judd: Your breath smells like pussy.

Dad: It almost always does!

I. Died.

This was an awesome episode, especially Nick realizing Connie could be good for him.  Andrew was…eesh!  This obsession for Mindy and how he thinks it's okay to express that obsession are getting out of hand.  I wonder how this will play out in the new episodes this fall.  I was a little sad that no one quoted Jay's father's commercials.

10 hours ago, OnceSane said:

This was an awesome episode, especially Nick realizing Connie could be good for him.  Andrew was…eesh!  This obsession for Mindy and how he thinks it's okay to express that obsession are getting out of hand.  I wonder how this will play out in the new episodes this fall.

It was pretty wel done with as bad as Andrew's actions were getting the shit that was happening to him as a result of what he was doing was also really bad. I am really curious how anyone will want to be his friend after this. Even Maury knew that what he was doing was going too far.

Pretty much everything in the restaurant was great too. The waitresa who didn't want to be in any of the conversations was hilarious. And Andrew's dad's line about how he won't order dessert before he eats dinner like a serial killer is still making me laugh.

Also was it just me or was it a joke, because when I selected the episode and Netflix did the little percent loading spinny thing the episode started playing once it got to 69%.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

I know Lola isn't everyone's favorite around here, but she always cracks me up. Hubby and I had to pause the tv at "PUNCTURE PUNCTURE GLUG GLUG GLUG" because we were laughing so hard. One of those things I can't really explain why it's funny, but it sooooo is.

The songs were perfect. Maya Rudolph continues to be a goddess.

• LOL 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Also was it just me or was it a joke, because when I selected the episode and Netflix did the little percent loading spinny thing the episode started playing once it got to 69%.

It's a joke;  both times I've watched it, it pauses at 69% before playing.

• LOL 2

Ummmmm. Florida may be perfection.

I am so uncomfortable but cracking up so hard right now. 

I don't even know what to do with myself.

ETA: The only thing I don't like about this season so far is it is still pretty song heavy.  

Edited by gik910
  • Love 3

"Jessie -  you're a child, you don't understand how good it is to be drunk in a lake"

So - we devoured the 3rd season.  Loved it. There are so many good one liners this season. 

I thought the ending was excellent and I am super excited for season 4.  

• Love 3
22 hours ago, gik910 said:

Ummmmm. Florida may be perfection.

I just finished that one and it was pretty awesome. So far this season has been pretty funny. The only thing I haven't really cared for was Nick's obsession with his phone. But it kind of led to his parents really responding to the appreciation and attention they were getting from Jay and that was funny.

Also liked the super pissed off version of Missy. Maury was Macho Man Randy Savage was also amazing.

• Love 1

The new season was so good. I loved the Florida song, the Queer Eye stuff with Coach Steve and his different job every episode, Andrew's dad in the credits. I like the story lines set up for Season 4: will Jessi end up moving? Andrew's and Nick's drama over Missy, and Nick at camp, the 'no more Mrs. Nice Girl' Missy. I love addition of Thandie Newton as Mona, Missy's hormone monstress. 

I'm sure the spin-off will be great, too.

• Love 3

About 4 eps through the new season and it seems to be more about social issues and PC stuff than puberty. There is a whole song about code talking, but when Jessi has her oddly huge period and struggles with a tampon, she says she doesn't want one because it might break her hymen and the show just drops it. Hope the rest of the season gets back to puberty issues because as gross as this show can be, it does have an oddly educational bent that raises it out of the Family Guy muck.

13 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

The talking crowning shit is very, very gross!

It was gross but the psychedelic shit madness song was amazing. Plus shit madness is totally something like a 12 or 13 year old kid might believe. As for gross, that would be Jay and Lola. Although there sewage pool was pretty funny.

• Love 1

I'm finding this season funnier than previous ones. I'm actually laughing out loud here and there, and I don't remember ever doing that before. I love this show so much, despite how incredibly gross it is. I have a great deal of affection for Nick Kroll, and if y'all like this, you really should watch Kroll Show because it's completely bonkers in the same way. It's all the same folks that are on Big Mouth.

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Jessi’s menstrual problems at camp brought back a lot of very unpleasant memories.

Same, girl, same.

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm finding this season funnier than previous ones. 

I'm 5 episodes in and while I am not sure it is funnier they definitely haven't lost anything.  What I find interesting is that Andrew has been kind of a jerk for awhile, then he called out Nick on his shitty behavior. Then he had the shit madness and Nick helped them, and it brought them back together but they are still both kind of assholes. Which kind of tracks for kids that age.

A few small things I love are how Jessi's middle name is Cobain because of course it is, how we never heard the story of where the name Milk came from, and Connie and how she doesn't know computers. Lola saying her mom's boyfriend was one of the 9/11 hijackers was one of the more fucked up things the show has done.

I also liked on episode 4 the guys realizing that other people have their own shows where they aren't the stars of. Because I remember being a kid and thinking how your grade is the most important thing at the school.

I’ve watched episode 5 twice. The code-switching song and conversation were excellent. Jay’s “wait a minute” when he realized what Lola was saying was perfectly delivered. Sterling K. Brown as Michael Angelo is sexy (that cartoon is kind of my physical type, which is ... confusing). And I love Thandie Newton as Missy’s monstress. She’s violent!

Sidebar: did the show drop Gina?

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 1

Finished the season last night because what are you gonna do. It was super funny. The funeral episode nearly had me crying.

It was interesting how they focused on Nick's issues, which still seem to go back to the fact that Andrew was his nerdy friend and even though Andrew is still super weird he hit his growth spurt and is a giant while Nick is still tiny. Even Jessi is way taller than him. I noticed in his dream EP his license plate is something like BDCKBOY, it always comes back to that.

Jessi got a great story line too, the end of the funeral episode where Connie totally changed to liking Shannon was hilarious. 

I also really liked that both Maury and Connie had problems keeping track of 2 kids and their storylines. Is was smart that both Hormone Monster Rick and Coach Steve were only used in small amounts, since that is the only way they can stay funny. 

I'm only five episodes in. Thus far, I think it's mostly been a step down from the previous seasons. Splitting the group up was an interesting experiment, but I don't think it actually paid off. Too much of the camp was either overly-long body function gags or was about short-term side characters who I don't tune into the show to see. The trans girl wasn't a bad character. Neither was Nick's other friend. But they were there instead of utilizing the main cast, because I guess even the writers knew that the main cast wasn't doing anything funny or interesting. And those anxiety mosquitoes are annoying as fuck. They ruin every scene that they're in. Why does every single thing need to have its own supernatural entity? These kids have been manufacturing their own anxieties just fine for three seasons without any need for additional characters to show up and claim to be the cause of it. All the mosquitoes really do is add more unnecessary moving parts to the scenes that they're in.

So far the best thing has been Missy and her relatives, Jay and Lola, and the future Nick dream.

But I'm just not constantly amazed through each episode the way I used to be.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

I'm only five episodes in. Thus far, I think it's mostly been a step down from the previous seasons. Splitting the group up was an interesting experiment, but I don't think it actually paid off.

I thought that camp had some really funny bits, but one thing that was really missing this season was we never really got any scenes with Jay, Nick and Andrew. Which was too bad since I love how Maury acts around Jay, plus I wanted to see more of their reactions to him being with Lola.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
On 12/7/2020 at 2:17 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I thought that camp had some really funny bits, but one thing that was really missing this season was we never really got any scenes with Jay, Nick and Andrew. Which was too bad since I love how Maury acts around Jay, plus I wanted to see more of their reactions to him being with Lola.

There was one scene where Jay asked them about fingering, but that’s all (so far, I have two episodes to go). 

Loved that DeVon said that the reason he divorced Devin was that she was mean. I think that’s an important message for kids - the person you are with should make you feel good. If they don’t, they don’t need to be in your life. Same goes for friends, and they’ve established that Devin is mean - she treated Lola like shit, she slut-shamed Gina, and she tried to come for Missy but new Missy wasn’t having it. (I keep thinking “I hope Missy’s cousin is taking her into the city to get her braids redone.”)

• Love 1

Just finished the season, and I loved it. I agree that the first few episodes are a bit rocky - the split narrative between the camp kids, Jay/Lola, and Missy doesn't quite work, but I appreciate that they tried something different - but once 8th grade starts, everything kicks up a notch. I like that the more "concept" type episodes this season, "Nick Starr" and "Four Stories about Hand Stuff," wind up factoring into the ongoing plots of the rest of the season, and the resolution to Nick's storyline is great.

Some random things I loved:

• Natalie's story about going through puberty/realizing she's trans - Gavin was the perfect choice to be a really terrifying Hormone Monster for her, and I like seeing how the hormone blockers protect her from him.
  • I was a little iffy about Milk at first, but by the end of the camp storyline, I love him (and his comments about his dad's friend Bob Reedy!)
  • Missy's arc is really good, although it feels weirdly self-contained - she has a few feature episodes that go in hard on her exploring her racial identity, and then she's barely in most of the other ones. Her bonding with Devon is nice, the code-switching song is great, I like seeing her with her cousins, and Ayo Edebiri does a fine job once she takes over the voicing duties - she doesn't sound exactly like Jenny Slate, but she still sounds very much like Missy.
  • The Anxiety Mosquitoes are yet another really apt puberty creature. I like seeing how the kids react to their anxiety in different ways. Nick freaks out and tries to run away from his (which leads to the Nick Starr persona where he cuts himself off from his emotions to "protect" himself,) while Jessi immediately starts nurturing/reinforcing hers and agreeing with everything it says about her, which is further encouraged by the Depression Kitty (I also like Connie trying to rescue Jessi from both of them but struggling to do so.)
  • Oh, Lola, never change: "That is cliterally my clitoris." The castle/Jayzilla imagery is too perfect.
  • Overall, I think they do a good job with Matthew's arc. I feel like his centric plots, when he gets them, are often a little more archetypal than the other kids, but the show manages to pivot them just enough to keep them from being too tropey. With his coming-out stuff, I like that he's scared, not just of his family disapproving, but of losing his close relationship with his mom and feeling like she's replacing him with his sister. The coming-out scene with his dad is really sweet. (Side note: how did I not know before this season that Aiden is voiced by Zachary Quinto?)
  • Andrew's crush on Michael Angelo - "Is that an accent I detect, or are you just British to see me?", ha!
  • The whole hand-stuff episode is great. Each vignette is both fun (Andrew's Bob-Fosse-style rundown of "the Glouberman method," I died!) and interesting, with good stuff to say, and I love the connective tissue of the hubbub over Devin and Devon's "divorce." I agree with whoever mentioned Devon clarifying that he's divorcing Devin because she's mean to him, that's a really nice moment. Also, I love Devin saying, "Please respect my privacy as I livestream for 12 hours and take questions from literally anyone."
  • Continuity references! I enjoy seeing Coach Steve's "bad mitten," hearing about the Ponytail Killer, and catching a glimpse of an autographed Fab Five picture in Jay's bedroom.
  • I like that this season puts a little more focus on the fact that Maury and Connie are both serving as Hormone Monsters for multiple kids. I like seeing Connie struggle in the fight between Nick and Jessi, "breaking up" with Nick out of her loyalty to Jessi but later showing up in her Beyonce Lemonade dress with the baseball bat to stick up for him. And I enjoy seeing how different Maury's relationships are with Andrew and Matthew, not to mention how supportive/protective he is of Matthew throughout the coming-out storyline - him yelling at Matthew's mom (even though she can't hear him!) is great.
  • The closing song is really nice. I was laughing the whole time, because I couldn't stop picturing Nick Kroll in the recording booth singing that song with his Rick voice, OMG.

I could hardly handle the "Poop Madness" episode, though. While I love the trippy Alice-in-Wonderland madness song, it's otherwise just too much grossness. Andrew' talking poop itself is bad enough, but then when you throw in the swollen bird carcass and Jay and Lola's disgusting pool, it's like there's nowhere to get away from it.

Also, is the hand-stuff episode the only time they mention that Michael Angelo is a 9th grader? He's drawn to look so much bigger/older than Jessi that a lot of their scenes together creep me out, because I kept wondering how old he's supposed to be.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, angora said:

Gavin was the perfect choice to be a really terrifying Hormone Monster for her, and I like seeing how the hormone blockers protect her from him.

That was interesting and I kind of wish they had followed up on that more. I mean I don't know a much about the subject but if she starts taking other hormones does Connie or someone instantly get called in?

• Love 1

Season 4 is a miss for me. It had its moments, but I found it to be a little heavier in content.

I thought Rick retired. He explained to both Steve and Nick in season one. I’m glad it wasn’t Gavin. A little bit of Gavin goes a long, long way. His screen time, this season, was about right. I liked the call-back to singing with Freddie Mercury’s ghost.  The look on Jay’s face after he realized what Lola was telling him about her mom’s ex-boyfriend was priceless.

Jessi’s pads sucking up the lake was a good gag.

I’m not sure why they’re going with cannibalism for the twin sisters. I found that disturbing.  

I have watched this series enough, that I turn it on when I’m ready to fall asleep.  I was awake on the last view through ‘Guy Town’. It was the first time I noticed, when the creepy dude walked out of Greg’s closet, that he mentioned his charity for putting wigs on pigs... or dogs. It was one of those two animals.  I have to wonder what the wigs are made out of. 

Did we get an answer to why Andrew’s dad had an eye patch? 

I ended up watching the entire series of “Pretty Little Liars”. I would not have understood some of what was going on in ‘Big Mouth’, if I hadn’t.  I tried to watch Pen15, but it was so bad, I almost didn’t finish the first episode.

I completely agree with those who say that the third episode just went way too far into gross-out territory. The show has done gross stuff in the past and (sometimes) done it well, but that was just too disgusting to be enjoyable.

I liked this season, but I don't think it's nearly as good as the first three. For one thing, I don't like Jay and Lola together - either as lovers or as enemies. Jay is an interesting a character, and it's a shame that so many of his scenes were about how disgusting he and Lola are.

The anxiety mosquito(s) weren't funny, and the show didn't have anything particularly insightful to say about anxiety, either. I actually hated the way the show presented gratitude as a cure for anxiety. For one thing, it's not particularly accurate - plenty of people are grateful for positive things in their life and still deal with anxiety. And it sends an unfortunate message that people with anxiety must be ungrateful, and unwilling to solve their problem.

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

For one thing, I don't like Jay and Lola together - either as lovers or as enemies. Jay is an interesting a character, and it's a shame that so many of his scenes were about how disgusting he and Lola are.

I think Jay was misused this season. His storyline about coming out as bi and his adventures with his pillow were much better than watching him suck mud off Lola’s toes.

I think the character who had the most interesting arc was Missy. I loved her with her cousins, and her friendship with Devon. As a Black (but not biracial like Missy) person who very often navigates white spaces, including all my educational experiences, that code switch conversation was very very VERY real. (Missy’s parents mean well but they’re doing her a huge disservice by ignoring race.) I also really like Thandie Newton as her hormone monstress.

Nick Kroll et al. are apparently developing a spin-off called Human Resources, about the HR department in the monster world. I think that sounds like fun.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3

Random question - does anyone know if the two hormone monsters we see the most of (Maury and Connie) are named after Maury Povich and Connie Chung? If it's just a coincidence, that's a pretty strange one.

• Love 1
On 1/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, Blakeston said:

Random question - does anyone know if the two hormone monsters we see the most of (Maury and Connie) are named after Maury Povich and Connie Chung? If it's just a coincidence, that's a pretty strange one.

Yes they are!

‘Big Mouth’ Spinoff ‘Human Resources’ Adds Randall Park, Keke Palmer, Aidy Bryant (EXCLUSIVE)

Human-Resources.jpg

Nick Kroll and Maya Rudolph, stars of “Big Mouth”, will be joined by a star-studded lineup of new and returning voice talent in the upcoming “Big Mouth” spinoff series “Human Resources”. “Saturday Night Live” alum Aidy Bryant, “WandaVision” and “Fresh Off the Boat” star Randall Park and Keke Palmer (“Hustlers,” “Akeelah and the Bee”), will join the “Human Resources” cast as series regulars. Meanwhile, the Shame Wizard voice actor David Thewlis (“Harry Potter,” “Wonder Woman”) will feature heavily in the new series, as will “Big Mouth” season four writer Brandon Kyle Goodman (“Feel the Beat”), who steps up to the mic for the spinoff.

Randall Park will play Pete, the Logic Rock, who does everything by the book.

“Human Resources” takes place in the supernatural home world of “Big Mouth” hormone monsters Maurice and Connie, voiced by Kroll and Rudolph. In the far more adult world of the monsters, also inhabited by the Shame Wizards, Depression Kitties and a host of other species which guide humanity through the various stages of life from puberty to childbirth and into our autumn years, the creatures themselves will be the show’s main protagonists.

“You have these characters that represent a major force in the human condition,” Kroll explained of the major difference in creating the two shows. “The challenge has been that these characters don’t only function according to the one thing they do professionally. The Logic Rock is filled with a lot of emotion and love and that defies his nature. Building out the characters in that complex way has been a joy.”

Two clips set in the world of the upcoming show were shared during the panel, one early animatic which played out like an actual HR video for a corporate job, introducing the viewer to the world of “Human Resources,” and the other a brief scene from the “Big Mouth” season five finale in which Nick returns to the “Human Resources” office to lodge a complaint about the miserable lineup of emotional monsters he’s been stuck with so far.

• Love 2