Type keyword(s) to search

Big Mouth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

FINALLY!! I marathoned the show last Friday and Saturday and LOVED LOVED LOVED it! Many of my favorite comedians voiced the characters. Maya Rudolph as the Hormone Monstress/Connie (ha!) was my favorite. Nick Kroll killed it as several characters. His Kroll Show remains one of my favorite shows.

I know this show is definitely not for everyone, but I thought it was fantastic. Hilarious, raunchy, bonkers and poignant all at the same time. It totally captured the middle school/puberty experience. I plan to rewatch, which is something I never do.

P.S. Look up #PuberMe on Twitter. Nick Kroll is good people.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

I just finished the whole season, too, and I loved it! I actually found out about it because one of my Facebook friends was circulating a petition for Netflix to take it off the air because they thought it was pedophilic. LOL. I watched the trailer and was like, "YES! This looks hilarious. Can't wait."

It did NOT disappoint.

• Love 4

I am halfway through and am really enjoying it. I like that even though the idea started with Nick and his friend they expanded it to include girls as well. I think it's handling it well and the show is absolutely hilarious.

#Puberme raised $1,000,000 for Puerto Rico.

• Love 4

The second episode was one of my favorites (if not my favorite). I'm fairly certain every post-pubescent woman has a bad memory of having to tie her jacket around her waist to get through the school day. The episode was achingly accurate.

I started my period in FIFTH GRADE (elementary school!), and knew no other girls who had started then. Most didn't until seventh grade. It was so isolating.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

The second episode was one of my favorites (if not my favorite). I'm fairly certain every post-pubescent woman has a bad memory of having to tie her jacket around her waist to get through the school day. The episode was achingly accurate.

I started my period in FIFTH GRADE (elementary school!), and knew no other girls who had started then. Most didn't until seventh grade. It was so isolating.

Fifth grade here, too! Agreed, not fun.

• Love 1
On 10/8/2017 at 2:09 AM, bilgistic said:

I started my period in FIFTH GRADE

I was 12, but I didn't tell my parents until I was maybe 14. I had older sisters so the tampon/pad supply was plenty. So many jackets around the waist in middle school.

I love the voice actors. It has everyone I like. Took a minute for me to figure out who Devin (the girl) was, and it's June Diane Raphael. I'm already excited for next season. I wonder if Nick's parents were really that open and tolerant in real life, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Still totally unsure about Andrew's sexual identity. It kinda came and went. The ghost of Duke Ellington is so random and I am here for it.

• Love 2

We binged this last weekend to - and loved every freaking second of it. Like had to pause on multiple episodes because we were laughing so hard. 

On 10/7/2017 at 10:36 PM, auntiemel said:

I just finished the whole season, too, and I loved it! I actually found out about it because one of my Facebook friends was circulating a petition for Netflix to take it off the air because they thought it was pedophilic. LOL. I watched the trailer and was like, "YES! This looks hilarious. Can't wait."

It did NOT disappoint.

Which is even funnier because they directly reference this in one of the later episodes.  Frankly, it deals with a subject we all have in common and treats it really respectfully- if hysterically. Demystifying puberty is the best way to get through it. This is a great way to help parents think about how to talk to their kids. 

The Hormone Monsters are amazing. Maya just killed it as Connie.  I sincerely hope we get a second season.

• Love 5

So many quotable lines:

"There's someone out there breeding dolphins and poodles. Dolphoodles. His name is Kevin and he bites fingers because he thinks they are baby corn." - Andrew

"The French are full of shit and your mother is a woman on the decline" - Connie

"This kid might be a fucking genius" - Maurice

Really - there are so many more.  

• Love 1
On 10/8/2017 at 3:09 AM, bilgistic said:

I started mine a month after turning 11. I come from a long line of early bloomers. There was only one other girl in the class who had gotten it, so we became friends because we were the only ones who could commiserate with each other. I can still remember a boy pointing out the stain on the back of my pants. The other girl and I also became friends with the boy in our class who started puberty early (he looked 25 when he was 14. Goatee and everything. Regularly mistaken for a teacher or coach).

I'm on episode 7 and I think this show is hilarious. It's so true that demystifying puberty is the best route. It's a biological process! The scene where Jessie's genitalia is like "I'm not scary! I'm you!" really sums it up.

• Love 2

Just binged this tonight. I was a little upset at first, because I didn't think we'd get an episode that dealt with female masturbation, but then we did! So good. Love this show, will def watch the second season. 

Oh so many, but for whatever reason, this cracked me up the hardest in the pilot.

Matthew:  "Nick and Andrew.  You're friends again.  Nick's pants are gone.  The teachers look poor.  What the fuck is going on?"

• Love 1

I can't wait until S2! My husband thought the show sounded super weird at first, but I got him pulled into it. He and I quote Coach Steve waaaay too much. We like to sing his version of the alphabet song. :) 

Rewatched season 1 again.  Some random lines that I love:

• Hormone Monster:  ‘Fallopian tube’:  what a savory word.
  • Mrs. Birch:  Your father’s penis was my glass slipper.
  • Matthew:  Yeah, I can see this.  It's not for me but people will like it.  It's Starbucks, it's what America wants.
  • Security Guard #1:  You keeping an eye on that little brown kid?
  • Security Guard #2:  Of course I am – he’s a little brown kid.
  • Matthew:  Look at you:  walking into rooms, declaring things
  • Jay:  Unless you wanna wear the skirt, Matthew, but I think gay and trans are different?
  • Matthew:  No, no, they are the same and you should tell people that!
  • Hormone Monster:  I will burn this place down and fuck the ashes!!
  • Nick:  Cotton candy brandy?
  • Jay:  Yeah, my dad defended the guy who created it.  The first booze made for kids by kids.
  • Hormone Monster:  I never wanted to tame you!  I just wanted to keep a toothbrush and a few spare dicks at your apartment!
  • Hormone Monstress:  You are a woman now, and this is what women do.  We suck up all the bullshit life dumps on us and keep smiling through it all in our boxy-ass dresses!
  • Lola:  Who the hell is Malala?
  • Matthew:  She's just this girl who got shot in the face 'cause she read a book and now she's super famous.
  • Lola:  Lucky Malala!
  • Matthew:  That's what they call her!
  • Hormone Monster:  Hey, before we start, I want you boys to meet my fiancée, Candice.  She's absolutely perfect.  I mean, the only downside is the dick splinters!

Watched this over the last few days and once I sort of got used to how graphic it was, it was awesome. The voice acting was amazing especially Maya Rudolph as the monstress. I also thought Richard Kind as Andrew's dad was hilarious. Kroll as the hormone monster had a bunch of great lines, especially when he was losing it about how he wanted to meet Jay's brothers because he heard those guys were manimals.

Also I am not really familiar with the actress who plays Jessi but she had a great storyline and some awesome lines. And in that Seinfeld cut away she nailed Julia Louis Dryfus. I mean her voice wasn't the same of course but she totally hit the elaine delivery.

Also Jon Hamm as a talking scallop was crazy.

Watched the first 4 episodes of season 2 last night. It was just as good as season 1. The scene where Jessi robs the drug store and the Hormone Monstress has the shotgun was amazing. Maya Rudolph must be having a blast with this role. Then when she told off the shame wizard was great.

I also really actually like Nick's hormone monster, who I thought I would hate. Him making the incorrect movie references was really funny.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Hormone Monstress has the shotgun was amazing. Maya Rudolph must be having a blast with this role. Then when she told off the shame wizard was great.

YAAAAAS!  Loved Connie telling the Shame "Lizard" to back the fuck off!  We binged the whole season while my son was at school and so loved it.  I wished we'd seen more of the Depression Kitty.  I'm glad they freed Jessi from her, but maybe we'll see her attached to another kid in season 3.

And the sleepover?  Fucking brilliant.  So many secrets, Jessi realizing she could be an asshole and that not everyone would forgive asshole behavior because of an apology.  Gina is a great addition.

And I'd like to say I was surprised by Andrew/Lola, but that worked in a creepy way.  And Jay is maybe bi?  I'm down with that.  Or at least seeing them explore the possibility more.

But my fave part may have been Jessi, Missy & Missy's mom at the sauna.  Great way to empower the girls and Jessi had the chance to tell Cantor Dina (is she still a cantor at that synagogue?) how she felt.

• Love 1

I'm halfway through season 2 and the Hormone Monstress is giving me LIFE. When Jessi told off her mother and Monstress was like "That. Was. Amazing. NO NOTES!" I fell out. And when Jessi's dad asked why Jessi thought he was living in the basement and Monstress said "Because he's got bad credit," I rewound that a bunch of times. Maya Rudolph is fantastic. She must have had so much fun.

Also, when Jessi and Nick were high and Nick was like "Fuck [Missy's dad], he fucking knows" I HOWLED.

• Love 7
On 06/10/2018 at 1:42 PM, OnceSane said:

And Jay is maybe bi?  I'm down with that.  Or at least seeing them explore the possibility more.

That reminded me of The Todd from Scrubs. Both characters are just so horny and all about sex that they don't seem to care who they are getting it from, guy or girl.

6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I'm halfway through season 2 and the Hormone Monstress is giving me LIFE. When Jessi told off her mother and Monstress was like "That. Was. Amazing. NO NOTES!" I fell out. And when Jessi's dad asked why Jessi thought he was living in the basement and Monstress said "Because he's got bad credit," I rewound that a bunch of times. Maya Rudolph is fantastic. She must have had so much fun.

The bit in the first season where she keeps talking about the boxy-assed dress and then tells Jessi to burn the house down and use it as kindling was awesome.Looking forward to see what happens with her and Nick next season. Maya Rudolph makes the show something great.

I am also impressed with how good this show was at following up on plotlines. After the episode where Jay's sister walks in on Andrew they kind of moved away from that and I thought maybe forgot about it. But then a few episodes later they mention it again which was well done.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

Also speaking of Jay I really like how much Maury likes Jay. I can't remember what episode it was but at one point he said Jay was a genius and could be his own hormone monster.

The only thing really missing this season was I would have liked to see a bit more of Andrew's dad. The thing with the scallops last season was one of the funniest bits. Although in the planned parenthood episode the fact that he was eating scallops on his first date with his wife was pretty funny.

18 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I do love that Nathan Fillion was in a few episodes. 

Never cared much for Nathan Fillion either way, but I was impressed that he was wiling to play a role where he had a fantasy romance with a pre-teen girl.

On 8.10.2017 at 5:36 AM, auntiemel said:

The Streisand-effect in action. :D

On 8.10.2017 at 9:09 AM, bilgistic said:

I think everybody can relate to this show. As a man I can still remember all the jackets around the waist or bags "casually" carried at crotch height, because you get boners all. the. time.

On 16.10.2017 at 1:54 AM, Empress1 said:

The other girl and I also became friends with the boy in our class who started puberty early (he looked 25 when he was 14. Goatee and everything. Regularly mistaken for a teacher or coach).

It's weird at how different paces people develop. I started puberty at nine and was always a head taller than anybody else my age, yet my facial hair didn't start to grow till I was 18.

On 7.2.2018 at 4:14 PM, ZootSuitWyatt said:

Apparently it's Nick Kroll, but I kept hearing Will Arnett. 

Same. Wweird. I think it's because it's really close to Will Arnett's Batman-voice.

On 8.10.2018 at 2:49 PM, Empress1 said:

She is by far my favorite character on this show. I've been saying "bubblebath" in her voice a bunch of times today. How she pronounces things is just amazing. I'm sure that was Rudolph's choice as well.

On 6.10.2018 at 7:42 PM, OnceSane said:

And Jay is maybe bi?  I'm down with that.  Or at least seeing them explore the possibility more.

I really like that. I was kinda bummed when they didn't further explore that people can be into both sexes, in season one. They kind of just dropped it there after the rock interlude.

I really liked the new season.  I thought the Shame Wizard was a strong new addition, not as hilarious as the Hormone Monsters but an effective representation of tween shame - him terrorizing everyone at the school sleepover was probably my favorite storyline of the season.  Bonus points for the payoff on the collection of Nazi dildos, as well as the signed photo of the "Shame Lady" from Game of Thrones in his office!

It was nice to see the minor characters getting a little more to do.  Lola had some great scenes this season, I loved the recurring "DeVon is secretly an old man" jokes, and for whatever reason, my favorite part of the "world without shame" sequence was Caleb scrawling "GYM WALL" on the gym wall and declaring, "Now people know."  As a big Matthew fan, I was pleased to see a bit of an arc for him, although I was disappointed it seemed to end up as a jumping-off point for Jay's new story, even if I like Jay's discovery that he might be bi.

Too much Coach Steve for me.  He's funny, but I find him to be a "little goes a long way" character, and I thought he overstayed his welcome too often this season.

• Love 7

Too many good lines from season 2 to list them all, but here are a few favorites (some of these are paraphrased): 

• Rick (coaching Nick on masturbating):  Now pull your hands apart like you're opening a telescope!
  • Jessi:  Hi, Dina.
  • Connie:  Yes!!  Use her name against her!!
  • Matthew:  Bridgeton Middle School is being swept by boob fever, which is not breast cancer...
  • Nick:  Is this a Woody Allen thing?  I haven't seen any of his movies, 'cause Mom says he's a monster.
  • Matthew:  Babies.  They're like tuna melts - sure, they sound good, but do you really want one right now?
  • Andrew (describing his dad):  He's a one-star Yelp review come to life.
  • Lola:  Hooking up and rubbing fronts doesn't make us feel shitty.  Mean jerks make us feel shitty.
  • Maury (on Jay):  This kid is a goddamn prodigy.  I think he's his own Hormone Monster!
On 10/12/2018 at 5:53 PM, Miles said:

Apparently it's Nick Kroll, but I kept hearing Will Arnett. 

Wait, so the hormone monster isn't Will Arnett?!?! Wow, I would have bet money that it was. I am usually very good at identifying voices so this surprises me to no end. Sounds just like him. Nick Kroll could find work as his voice double if it came down to it.

20 hours ago, angora said:

Too much Coach Steve for me.  He's funny, but I find him to be a "little goes a long way" character, and I thought he overstayed his welcome too often this season.

I couldn't agree more. I can't get the "I made thick in her warm" out of my mind and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. 

On the other hand, I love getting more Lola. Nick's voicing her takes me clean out all the time. 

Love this show and I will be re-watching. I try to pace myself but it just didn't work out. 

1 hour ago, islandgal140 said:

Wait, so the hormone monster isn't Will Arnett?!?! Wow, I would have bet money that it was. I am usually very good at identifying voices so this surprises me to no end. Sounds just like him. Nick Kroll could find work as his voice double if it came down to it.

There is a youtube video of Kroll, John Mulaney and Jenny Slate recapping season 1. In a few spots Kroll does some of the voices like Coach Steve and I think the Hormone Monster and it just sounds weird those voices coming out of his mouth.

I loved this, and binge watched it in a few days. It's incredibly daring for them to even do a show with this subject matter, let alone being so blunt and graphic about it. I'm not surprised that there are a lot of people offended by it, but a lot of them would probably enjoy it if they actually watched a few entire episodes.

I think my favorite voice actor is David Thewlis as the Shame Wizard. They couldn't have cast that role more perfectly. And I pretty much died when his tape recording switched over to him singing "Take On Me."

That said, despite my huge love for the show, I have a few small issues with it.

- Like others have pointed out, there's way too much Coach Steve. And they went way too broad with his character. I liked him in the beginning when he just seemed like a surprisingly upbeat lowlife, but I think making him flat-out developmentally disabled was a terrible idea.

- I also kind of wish Nick Kroll would do less of the voice acting. I could do without the Lola voice, and the Rick the Hormone Monster voice. And I find it kind of off-putting that he's doing a Will Arnett impression for Maury, considering that Kroll became involved with Amy Poehler right after Will Arnett was. It feels like a weird dig at him.

- As for these kids...they're supposed to be 12 or 13, right? I think a lot of them act a lot older than that. Conversations between 12 year olds are much, much more childlike than what we're seeing here. Jessi seems like she's about 16, and the gay kid (Matthew?) seems like he's about 20. Even Nick and Andrew talk more like high school kids than seventh graders. (And it seems weird that Nick has been waiting for puberty, considering that he's sounded like a grown man all along.)

Edited by Blakeston
6 hours ago, babyPhat279 said:

So, from the sketch episode are we to assume Andrew's dad is not his biological father? Does the dad know that, or did his mom try to pass Andrew off as his kid?

The first time Andrew's mother got pregnant, she ended up getting an abortion at Planned Parenthood. Then she met Andrew's father and got pregnant with him.

That was why Jay yelled out "Your older bother is an abortion!" after the skit.

• Love 2
On 10/21/2018 at 7:29 AM, Blakeston said:

As for these kids...they're supposed to be 12 or 13, right? I think a lot of them act a lot older than that. Conversations between 12 year olds are much, much more childlike than what we're seeing here. Jessi seems like she's about 16, and the gay kid (Matthew?) seems like he's about 20. Even Nick and Andrew talk more like high school kids than seventh graders. (And it seems weird that Nick has been waiting for puberty, considering that he's sounded like a grown man all along.)

12 and 13-year-olds today aren't as child-like as previous generations, the internet and changing TV standards have done a lot to shorten the "age of innocence". I think their age shows in the gaps in their knowledge of sex though--they didn't know girls get horny, the excitement about "french" kissing.

The fourth episode was great, with Coach Steve singing "Changes" (and him saying "Did you fast forward through the credits?"), the "Sex on a Lady" song, Jessi's hormone monstress with the shotgun and her popping up saying Jessi's dad has bad credit. lol I think Connie (the monster) is my favorite.

The school sleepover with The Shame Wizard was genius. Him being a DJ when the text was sent to everyone and the song at the end. 

Edited by ShortyMac

So am I stoopid for asking if this show is sort of progressive? I was talking to a professor friend of mine (big on feminist structures and dialogue) and he said he watched part of an episode and was so disgusted he quit. Meanwhile, I'm watching an admittedly crude show about puberty and how difficult it is for *everyone* and thinking, actually, isn't the bottom line message pretty sensitive to both men and women's concerns?  The entire episode about the school sleepover was about boys feeling important because they told their friends they touched a girl's boob, the feelings of the girl whose boob was touched and the reactions of other kids around them (which, BTW, were generally more thoughtful than those of kids I knew when I was that age in the 70s). It's pretty shallow, because it's a cartoon. But here I was thinking it was being fairly representative while my professor friend was horrified. Who is right?

• Love 1

He's certainly entitled to his opinion, but the show was heralded by (among many others) Bitch Magazine, which is a media organization that analyzes pop culture and world events through a feminist lens. It's been around in some form or another since 1996; the founders/continuing leaders are my contemporaries.

Here is their review, which is pretty perfect: https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/big-mouth-tackles-puberty. It basically says that the show has women writers [in an industry with a dearth of them] that tackle sensitive issues carefully and humorously, and are especially considerate to women's issues.

I fully agree. I have a finely tuned (for lack of a better phrase) barometer for problematic treatment of women in media, and I love the show. Yes, it's about a white male and his white male best friend, but there's also Missy, the black female protagonist, Jessie, the white female protagonist, and Gina, a Latina protagonist with a featured role in season two.

So, do I think the prof is wrong? Well...I think one needs to watch more than "part of an episode" to get a grasp on the show. The crudeness can be jarring, and that's not for everyone. And if his lens is cismale (and straight and and white?) and he consumes only the media specifically marketed to him (consciously or not), then he's decided he's not going to like it, regardless.

Do I think you are right? Yes. I was horrified and embarrassed when I developed early (third grade) and started getting unwanted attention for it. By sixth grade, it escalated to assault perpetrated by boys at school, a son of my mom's friend, and a guy in my neighborhood. So I sympathized deeply with Gina. For her classmates to actually realize their objectification was wrong and damaging was so powerful and healing for her, and potentially headed off trauma (I say this as we are talking about a cartoon).

Puberty is a shitshow and everyone goes through it. The show is a brilliant and hilarious analysis of that time in all of our lives.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

So am I stoopid for asking if this show is sort of progressive? I was talking to a professor friend of mine (big on feminist structures and dialogue) and he said he watched part of an episode and was so disgusted he quit. Meanwhile, I'm watching an admittedly crude show about puberty and how difficult it is for *everyone* and thinking, actually, isn't the bottom line message pretty sensitive to both men and women's concerns?  The entire episode about the school sleepover was about boys feeling important because they told their friends they touched a girl's boob, the feelings of the girl whose boob was touched and the reactions of other kids around them (which, BTW, were generally more thoughtful than those of kids I knew when I was that age in the 70s). It's pretty shallow, because it's a cartoon. But here I was thinking it was being fairly representative while my professor friend was horrified. Who is right?

I could go on a diatribe on how much I love this show and how feminist I think it is (that I will spare you all from), but I think the episode that's most representative of that is episode 2 of season 2, when Jessie and Missy go to the Korean Spa. I was the girl that developed early (so, more of a Gina in that regard), but if I had been able to see all sorts of different womens bodies when I was 13 and know that all of them were normal, that would've been life changing for me. 

I saw an interview with the cast and how hard they had to push Netflix to keep that episode, and the song that Maya Rudolph sings in - Netflix had a problem with showing Jessie and Missy's chests. And the female writers of the episode pushed back, because their point was that not only had the show already shown naked boys for laughs (and were going to do it again in a few episodes), but wanted to prove that showing a womans body isn't inherently sexual. It sounded like it was a real uphill battle, but I'm glad they fought it.

So, no, I don't think you're stupid for thinking it's progressive. I actually think it's very progressive, and I think it's meant to be that way. I think the creators are hoping that it opens the doors for conversations so that kids don't feel so alone like some of us (or at least, I know I certainly did going through puberty) felt when we were younger.

And is it filthy? Yeah, but sometimes I think adults tend to forget that kids ARE kinda filthy at that age.

• Love 6
  • "Let's go eat Chik-fil-a and not tell anybody"
  • "I cant believe I waited around for a fuckin priest to show me a panty picture."
  • Burn the house to the ground! Use the box dress as kindling!"
  • "But Jay's been bragging he's going to get fingered at the dance!
    "Ok, first of all, I think he's got that wrong or else you've grossly misquoted him."
  • "Give me Malala!"
    "I will kick you in the pussy you stupid shit!"
    "At least I still have a pussy!"
  • "You tell Shannon you don't want nice! You want two scoops of Haagen Dazs French Vanilla boobies."
  • "Hahah, yeah guys I fuck my pillow. Sorry guys, my tone was off; I 100% fuck my pillow"
  • Every time anyone says "Stop quoting your dad's law commercials."
  • Love 2