Type keyword(s) to search

Frankie Drake Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm surprised the morality police didn't arrest Frankie for those skinny pants she was wearing out on the street.  They really looked ridiculous for that era. Wide pant legs would have looked great and far more suitable.

Sounds like Flo is not far off becoming a doctor.  As usual, it's Flo and Mary who really make the show good.

• Love 3

More and more I want to see the Flo & Mary show. I think Flo would be a gas to hang out with.

Trudy seems to barely have an impact these days and I just don't like the Frankie character. 

• Love 3

A well done episode. Did notice they needed to add a "not all men" coda so they wouldn't get ripped apart. I did like that we got a see a moment where Frankie wasn't in control. I loved all the Flo and Mary scenes. Nice that there was some sense of justice but just like real life, not solving the problem. Maybe some eyes get opened watching this.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Trey said:

I liked this episode.  I wonder if Debussy really did stay in or around Toronto. 

My roommate did some research after we watched it and we determined that he wasn't here. Another musician is listed as introducing Debussy to the city. 

I realize that I didn't comment on last week's episode but I really liked it. It was nice to see Trudy with other people who mattered to her besides her mother and the gals. And I'm always up for a cool political story.

This week was lovely. I've been doing work for Music Toronto for that last five years and that has given me an appreciation of classical music and of violinists. Now my nephew plays the instrument. So this episode was catnip for me. And it was nice to see a side of Nora that wasn't trying to play an angle and was just enjoying life. Also great to see Mary finding confidence and Flo kicking ass.

• Love 4

A good season finale.  I hope they get another season.

I am glad things worked out for Flo, even if it was in such a weird way 🙄

Joe Perry sure is a cutie!

And Patrick McKenna is becoming as ubiquitous as Colin Mochrie on Canadian shows. But that's a good thing.

I loved the scene in the bar where Joe pulls out a gun, the guy who's after him pulls out a gun and then everyone pulls out a gun.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

It was a lot of fun, although things looked very dicey there for a bit, especially for Flo. Loved that Frankie fenced the earrings for a trip for all of them - such a great way to end the season. Hope they're back!

• Love 2
On 10/25/2019 at 11:58 PM, marina to said:

So Season 2 we’re like, ‘OK, maybe we’ll try a wig.’ Right. That again added about an hour and a half to my day each day, and you’re already dealing with it a 14-hour day. That’s a lot of extra time to add to a day. And also, we were very limited in terms of how I could move with it, and if you’d be able to see it. It was one of those things where everyone’s like, ‘You know, you’re naturally a blonde. We’d love you as a blonde.’

There is nothing remotely natural about that platinum, so that seems like an extremely odd justification. And I am skeptical that it is any less effort to maintain (or less damaging to the hair).

• Love 2
On 12/3/2019 at 9:08 AM, Trey said:

And Patrick McKenna is becoming as ubiquitous as Colin Mochrie on Canadian shows. But that's a good thing.

I realized watching Colin on MM last night that CBC is trying to build a star system, something actors have been complaining about for decades. They get on a hit show and they they use them as much as possible on their other shows (Also thinking Gary Dee.) Only seems to be for men though.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:47 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

S03.E09: A History of Violins

My satellite cut out just as Frankie & Trudy found the concerto in the file. I saw them run and that was it. What did I miss?

Once again I was watching an episode of Hudson and Rex, and here's Sharron Matthews; it was just small role, as a widow of a fire victim, but perfectly acted, as always.

Just started watching season 1 and was thrilled to see Chelsea from Kim's Convenience in episode 2 as the maid. Also Ronnie from Schitt's Creek playing Trudy's mother. Great casting. 

• Love 2

Just started watching season 3....I like Frankie's blonde hair.  However, in the scenes where they used a stunt double, that platinum wig is just awful.  And Mary is really gaining some self-confidence.  Enjoy the season so far.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just finished the first episode of Season 3. I don't mind the blonde hair but the cut is very distracting. I liked Agatha but having Frankie separated from the other 3 women for almost all of the show was not helpful. 

Just watched the episode where the team were assisted by a young student at a girls school. Quite good - especially the use of Flo as a role model. 

I also particularly like Trudy's mother - perhaps because the actress was in Schitt's Creek? The funeral home scene in the episode where Trudy faked her death was very good. Mildred has come a long way in her acceptance of Trudy's job. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1

Karen Robinson, who plays Trudy's mother, has been around TV and movies for a long time. I first remember her from King but she was in Lars and the Real Girl, Shoot the Messenger, and the aunt in the Morning Show Mysteries as well as a ton of one or two episode appearances on other shows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Finally finished Season 3 and eagerly looking forward to Season 4. I liked how they resolved Flo's dilemma. Also liked how the Team brought Mildred and Nora to Miami with them for vacation. Mary has made real progress as a detective; would like to see her make progress within the police department next season. 

The show is the perfect easy escape from the current world craziness. 

• Love 2

I've been bingeing this show on Amazon for the past week. It's exactly the sort of fun escapism I need to keep my mind off the pandemic madness. It's not a show that I need to overthink BUT as the seasons go on Frankie's fashion is killing me! I know I'm not the only poster to mention the sartorial inconsistencies here but by season 3, Frankie's outfits make her stick out like she's a time traveler that picked up her 20s/30s/40s (!) inspired costumes at Anthropologie. She looks like she's on a different show half the time! In season 3, episode 5, Frankie was wearing a double breasted white pant suit that looked more appropriate in a Duran Duran video from 1984 than 1920. WTH, costume department? I'm pretty sure that cropped skinny trousers were not the pant of choice for the flapper set (riding pants, yes). It's so bad that it takes me out of the show and to the forums!

When we first met Nora (I'm in the minority and kind of like her) she had said that she'd left Frankie because she wasn't cut out for the life of a wife and mother. She wanted to be an independent woman grifting her way across North America. But in season three, when Frankie meets her surprise half-brother, all of a sudden Frankie's parents broke up because her dad had an affair so Nora left. It's a pretty clumsy retcon and felt like a lame attempt to bring Frankie and Nora closer together. One of the things that I like about Nora is that she's unapologetic about her decision to leave her family. It's not that she has regrets -- she does -- but at the end of the day she made the best decision at the time. Nora is happy to establish a relationship with Frankie now, but it's not the typical sentimental mother -daughter relationship. But if she left because of a love child then it takes the edge off. Also, if Frankie's father was so great then why did he keep his son -- who was in-the-know about his sister and had 12 years to spring an awkward family reunion on her -- away from his daughter? 

I'm a bit confused about Trudie's boyfriend, Bill. In the first two seasons we see him working as a janitor (?) at City Hall and when he gets Drake Detectives information, he has to do it without being caught by his bosses. In season 3, Bill has his own office. Did I miss a promotion or explanation for Bill's new job? 

Why did they introduce a diner in season 3? I liked Quon's. Did the writers think that the ladies needed less chop suey and more fries?

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, ZeeEnnui said:

Why did they introduce a diner in season 3? I liked Quon's. Did the writers think that the ladies needed less chop suey and more fries?

So funny....I had exactly the same question! All of a sudden - a new diner set. 

I'd like to know more about Flo's family in Season 4. We've see Frankie and Trudy's mothers and know about Mary's dad, the policeman. 

• Love 2

I've been bingeing this show on Amazon for the past week. It's exactly the sort of fun escapism I need to keep my mind off the pandemic madness. It's not a show that I need to overthink BUT as the seasons go on Frankie's fashion is killing me! I know I'm not the only poster to mention the sartorial inconsistencies here but by season 3, Frankie's outfits make her stick out like she's a time traveler that picked up her 20s/30s/40s (!) inspired costumes at Anthropologie. She looks like she's on a different show half the time! In season 3, episode 5, Frankie was wearing a double breasted white pant suit that looked more appropriate in a Duran Duran video from 1984 than 1920. WTH, costume department? I'm pretty sure that cropped skinny trousers were not the pant of choice for the flapper set (riding pants, yes). It's so bad that it takes me out of the show and to the forums!

Honestly, this is the reason why I basically stopped watching the show. (Or at least paying attention to the plot.) The costuming choices were okay is season one (EXPECT FOR WHEN SHE WAS WORKING OUT WITH THAT GUY WEARING A SPORTS BRA), then slowly went downhill to where Frankie was dressed like a 1950s sweater girl (specifically that episode with the precocious child) 

The costuming is enough to pull me out of the story, and with the other flaws i see in the show, it's enough to make me stop watching. Basically all I do now is hunt down screencaps to tell my friends how inaccurate the costumes are. (Also, I wrote a whole thing on my tumblr about it and as long as this show runs I'll continue to drag the costume choices. Although I should have fact checked myself a little more writing that piece, i was angry that's my bad,) It's so annoying because I'd love to love this show but there are so many factors in the way. We live in the age of information and no one on that show can do a google. 

(also in that episode with the precocious child, they refer to Dr. James Barry as a "woman who dressed like a man." Dr. James Barry was a transgender man, and saying anything else is harmful to his legacy, and they should have kept him out of the episode.)

• Love 1

Another good season opener.

I don't think Trudy is going to marry Bill.  How convenient that a psychic was available to give her advice.

I think Frankie's blonde hair looks better this season.  Maybe it's just a little neater or more sophisticated or something.

• Love 3

I like Frankie's hair too. It looks more .... normal.

Where did they get a Red Rocket streetcar? I remember those from my childhood. And now I feel really old.

I like Wendy Crewson but a little Nora  goes a long way for me. This show seems to love her so much, it feels like an old friend who has found a new love and can't stop talking about her and bringing her along when you get together.

• Love 2
On 1/5/2021 at 1:57 PM, statsgirl said:

I like Frankie's hair too. It looks more .... normal.

Where did they get a Red Rocket streetcar? I remember those from my childhood. And now I feel really old.

I like Wendy Crewson but a little Nora  goes a long way for me. This show seems to love her so much, it feels like an old friend who has found a new love and can't stop talking about her and bringing her along when you get together.

They kept a couple of the streetcars to restore and use as party rentals.

Wendy Crewson is great to work with so it's not a surprise that they try to get her into as many episodes as possible. But this time she gave me sexy Rick Roberts (which has been sadly awol for a while) so I'm ok with this one.

On 1/5/2021 at 12:43 PM, Trey said:

I don't think Trudy is going to marry Bill.  How convenient that a psychic was available to give her advice.

Guess we know what the season arc is. I never really liked them together so I'm happy to see it all fall apart.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So it seems a couple of season-long themes are developing.

Bye bye Bill. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Will Frankie also have to make the same choice between her life in Toronto and a man before the season is out? Or is the theme of what you would be willing to give up for love just for this episode?

What Mary is being set up with is very intriguing. I hope we end up with Mary taking down corruption and becoming a real cop in the process. It does seem she's being set up to be challenged in the love department too. Otherwise, why mention how attractive the agitator is?

Edited by marina to
  • Love 3
On 1/20/2021 at 11:03 PM, marina to said:

Alessandro is more interesting with Flo than with Frankie.

Most people are🤨 As far as I'm concerned, Frankie is still the weakest link.

This was my favourite episode of the season so far.

Loved Flo finding love (or just sex) at an unlikely place and with an unusual person.  I wouldn't mind if the falconer showed up again.

And the leftie journalist is so cute. I'm glad he and Mary are (probably) getting together.  She is going to need his help when the shit hits the fan with those two very questionable cops.  I am afraid they are going to get Mary involved in something dangerous.

• Love 3

I enjoyed this episode pretty well.  It was interesting and I always love ghosts, even if they turn out to be a kid.  At least he was trying to do a good thing.

Yet another new guy for Frankie? Maybe Allesandro will take up with Nora.

Frankie's outfits are just getting more ridiculous.  At least the others dress in a suitable 1920s style.

• Love 3

This should have been a Halloween episode. I wonder if it was originally Intended for a fall season.

A fun episode. I realized that I prefer Flo and Mary to Frankie and Trudy although that may be because  they are featured much less.

If Frankie doesn't want Allessandro, I'll take him. I'm not impressed by Sebastian.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I wonder if it was originally Intended for a fall season.

Yes, it would have been shown in the fall if Covid hadn't messed up everything...so, probably intended for Halloween.

I think Flo and Mary just have so much more personality than either Frankie or Trudy.  They used to have Trudy sing in various episodes but they haven't done that in a while.

• Love 3

Frankie can have the carpenter. Give Alessandro to Flo. They had more chemistry and Flo has earned it.

Reporter boy is SO using Mary. Get away girl! And watch your back. That detective is going to make your life difficult.

Stuart Hughes, I didn't even recognize you. The makeup crew did a good job of hiding your lines.

I also did like the twists and turns the mystery took. I like that this show usually doesn't handle murder but this one was done well.

• Love 2

Who in costuming hates Trudy? In a show of gorgeous clothes, too much of the time her clothes are dowdy and mismatched.

36 minutes ago, marina to said:

Reporter boy is SO using Mary. Get away girl! And watch your back. That detective is going to make your life difficult.

Between the reporter and the buddy bad cops, Mary is having a bad year.

• Love 4

Trudy's clothes were better today but as usual Frankie's were awesome. Flo however gets the prize for her nightclub gear.

Pree! I've missed you! Thom Allison is so much fun. I'm glad he got to do two numbers.

This episode is my favourite of this season. It was co-written by Keri Ferencz and Sharron Mathews (Flo) and I hope that they write more. Matthews can also really sell a torch song.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It was co-written by Keri Ferencz and Sharron Mathews (Flo)

I noticed that! This was definitely one of the better episodes of the season.

The plot was interesting and I liked Trudy's and Mary's B story with the insurance company and mobsters.

I never watched Your Classic Hit Parade but, when I watched anything on Vision, they were always promoting the show and that's where I saw Thom Allison.  I had to look him up to make sure it was the same person.

• Love 3

It was a clever episode to do all the elements of a superhero show, even suspending one of the good guyss over a boiling vat, while keeping it in the period. Love episodes with Trudy's mom too.

I'm glad Toni isn't moving away after all, Enuka Okuma would be a good addition.

• Love 4