Type keyword(s) to search

Frankie Drake Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I like Anthony Lemke as an actor and I was hoping that the new detective would be for Mary. But noooo, he's  going to be all about Frankie too.

I was hoping he was for Mary too, disappointed that he's interested in Frankie. I did like Mary distracting him by blathering on about morality infractions at the dance contest.

I liked the twist that it was the rich guy himself who orchestrated the kidnapping.  Also liked Frankie putting his mother in her place.

I thought the best moment of the show came when Flo and Trudy were talking to Dr. Banting, and an ad for the Canadian Diabetes Assoc. appeared on the bottom of my screen. The episode itself was sponsored by the diabetes association.  Well-placed marketing, guys.

I really liked that too - lots of Canadian history last night, between Frankie Drake and Murdoch Mysteries.

• Love 3
On 1/16/2018 at 10:01 PM, allonsyalice said:

I love one man and that man is silver fox George Crabtree. 

Just got this ep in the US. I wondered what you meant, aside from a Murdoch mention, now I know. Aww, totes adorbs -- for an "older" guy!

3 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Just got this ep in the US. I wondered what you meant, aside from a Murdoch mention, now I know. Aww, totes adorbs -- for an "older" guy!

He aged really really well! Like he's sorta handsome on FDM whereas on Murdoch hes just adorable! 

• Love 2

Just found this thread and am currently watching the second episode of this season.  Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Frankie's hair is odd and doesn't look right.  I'm certainly no fashion expert, so can't comment on the fashion side of things, but her hair just looks out of place and like it's in the wrong era.  I don't mind her being a "modern" woman and will admit I do like the fact she does her own thing especially when it comes to the men in her life.  

• Love 3

Rebecca Liddiard (Mary Shaw) played Adelaide Stratton in Houdini and Doyle. Adelaide was one of the first policewomen and she wore a uniform with a very similar cut, but in navy blue or black, to Mary's red uniform in FDM. H&D was a fun show where Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle teamed up to solve odd or supernatural crimes.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Rebecca Liddiard (Mary Shaw) played Adelaide Stratton in Houdini and Doyle. Adelaide was one of the first policewomen and she wore a uniform with a very similar cut, but in navy blue or black, to Mary's red uniform in FDM. H&D was a fun show where Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle teamed up to solve odd or supernatural crimes.

I really enjoyed that show too.  I hadn't realized it was Rebecca Liddiard was the same actress as in Houdini & Doyle.

I honestly don’t like the fact they’re totally trying to push frankie and this new police detective guy together. he’s boring and im getting pretty tired of basically every man on this show falling for her. also, theres no chemistry there so I don’t believe it

• Love 6

I guess nobody liked last week's episode too well - I didn't think it was very good at all.

This week's episode was better. Maybe Frankie should hire Trudy's mother even though Trudy didn't leave:)

• Love 1

Has everyone quit watching or just quit posting?

They did a good job casting an actress who really resembles photos of Coco Chanel. 

I'm glad Frankie gave her the idea for a "little black dress" because all those beige dresses looked boring and all the same.  The plot was pretty stupid.  Why wasn't someone arrested for shooting at people, even if they missed?

I did like that Frankie wasn't a very good model, just like she wasn't a very good actress in an episode last season.

Perhaps we are all wrong about Detective Greyson being interested in Frankie; maybe that's just professional rivalry. I think he's starting to notice Mary now although that could be just wishful thinking on my part. 

We still need more Flo.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I thought that this was a good use of Frankie's mother. At last.

The episode gave me the opportunity to explain Coco Chanel and her fashion classics to my daughter. I hadn't realized how much she had done to  influence the way we ress today.  Was she really polyamorous?  I agree with Frankie, it rarely works out.

On 10/23/2018 at 2:14 PM, Trey said:

Perhaps we are all wrong about Detective Greyson being interested in Frankie; maybe that's just professional rivalry. I think he's starting to notice Mary now although that could be just wishful thinking on my part.

He seems too full of himself to notice Mary. But I agree that both Flo and Mary need love interests.

Why was Mary too lowly to be looking in the book of mug shots? It seems stupid to be limiting who can see them

• Love 3

Mine too, @Trey. Then again, I love baseball. I loved the old-timey pitching style, the mystery, having Greyson at a minimum (although next week's episode is called 50 Shades of Grayson - ugh), a good mystery, a new villain for Frankie to go up against, and more Flo (how is the coroner so shitty that she keeps finding stuff he misses?). Just a ton of fun.

I actually also liked the Coco Chanel episode. It made a bit hopeful that Greyson will be used to help Mary become a cop. If that happens, I'll like the guy. Until then though... 

• Love 2
On 10/25/2018 at 11:20 PM, statsgirl said:

Was she really polyamorous?  I agree with Frankie, it rarely works out.

Most monogamous relationships rarely work either (I'm assuming you're defining "working out" as together until death do you part, which is not a definition I agree with but whatever) but we somehow don't think that's monogamy's fault. Then there's all those poly people who can't have their relationships out in the open because they could lose their house, their jobs, their kids , or their social standing. That lovely couple next door could be poly and you wouldn't even know it.

The key to successful relationships, mono or poly, has to do with COMMUNICATION, which is something the men in Coco's life were not doing at the beginning of the episode. Funny how when they risk losing her they become ok again with the situation. Almost like putting the person you love first. Hmm, isn't that how we define mono relationships?

Signed, a poly person who's relationships are just fine, thank you very much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I have changed my mind about Grayson maybe being interested in Mary - he is far too old for her anyway. But I am glad he called her to give her back her job - because at least she's not a murderer:)

I thought these last two episodes have really picked up the pace from previous ones. 

I really hope Grayson isn't interested in Frankie. I would love one man in her life immune to her charms. OTOH, I really am still hoping he'll become Mary's mentor and help her become a real cop. Like that this episode showed her ingenuity and her need for structure and straight-forwardness. I just really enjoyed this one.

Plus, nice to see my friend Mike get murdered at the top of the ep. :)  

• Love 3

There is absolutely zero (or maybe absolute zero) chemistry between Frankie and the detective.

I think the best episodes are the ones that include all four women pretty much equally, although Frankie is always the boss.

And next episode is the season finale already, only ten episodes this season. I hope they get renewed for a third season.

• Love 3

Natalie Brown has annoyed me in a number of roles (especially Sophie)I but she does a great job with Bessie Starkman.

While I"m gla they're using Greyson as a resource for the agency now, there really is no chemistry between him and Frankie.  Anthony Lemke can bring it, such as with Elsa Pataky on Queen of Swords (now Mrs. Chris Hemsworth) and there's even some with Mary here so I think it's the combination of him and Lauren Lee Smith.

I hope they get renewed for a third season too. The CBC tends to be fickle about shows (Bellevue only got one season while the (awful, I think) Burden of Truth got renewed) so fingers crossed.

• Love 4

That was a pretty good season finale.

Loved Benjamin Ayers as one of the magicians.  I liked him in Dan for Mayor yet never realized that was him in Burden of Truth (which was well done but would have been even better if they had compressed it into half the number of episodes, thus eliminating all the dragging between actual events).

• Love 1

Always a good day when I see my friend Raoul Bhaneja on the screen! He posted a bunch of pics of him with the women on his facebook and talked about how great it was to work on a women-led series. I also hang with magicians and have even worked with one so this episode was an absolute delight. The mansion is obviously modelled after The Magic Castle, a place that is legendary in magic circles.

I want to see this show renewed but please, for the love of god, stop trying to make Greyson and Frankie work! I'm still shipping him and Flo - she'd lighten him right up. Frankie and the magician, now there's a spark. Not a flame, but a definite step up from the dreariness that is Greyson and Frankie together. And bring back Huey for Mary - they were delightful together.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:01 PM, Trey said:

I did not know (while watching the episode) that Bessie Starkman was a real person - murdered in 1930.

I looked her up after the baseball episode. What a character she was. That's a bio-pic waiting to happen.

• Love 4

Just found the series on Ovation that ran the first season and is about to run season too. Its a fun show. I love the clothes, settings and characters. I do agree about Frankie. Although I'm not sure why I don't like her as much as the other characters. I really did like her in the pilot. I don't know if its the clothes, all the things she's supposedly already done (working for the British and went to King Tut's dig), or the actress. I really don't know.

I love Trudy, Flo and Mary. All three are so much more interesting and the actresses are really good in their roles. I love Flo being the "other" woman in the pictures for the client in the pilot. I loved Trudy's mom. They just all seem to be having so much fun. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

They just all seem to be having so much fun. 

I know the actor who plays Flo and she's been posting from the filming of Season 3. Yes, they're having a ball!

• Love 3

I'm watching this on Ovation where it's sometimes paired with Phryne Fisher. I'm in agreement with those who prefer Trudy, Flo, and Mary to Frankie. I enjoy the concept of the show but some of the visuals (Frankie's wigs and most of the costumes) make me flinch. 

I'd like it more if Frankie appeared sporadically and the wardrobe budget was increased so it doesn't look like random thrift store purchases.

I've always loved Canadian shows and valued the different perspectives they offer, I just wish this one would adjust its focus differently.

• Love 2

I'm liking season 2 much more than season 1! Watched season 1 on Passport (PBS's streaming channel). I almost skipped it on Ovation. S2 is quite an improvement. I also prefer the trio of Trudy, Mary, and Flo to Frankie, but they still need Frankie to head up the PI biz (sorta like Charlie from Charlie's Angels). Her clothes and hair are really off for the time period, which bugs me.

Just watched "50 Shades of Greyson." Poor Mary getting fired (and rehired). At least she finally got to wear some stylish clothing. She's the right body type to carry off the 20s silhouette. Her blue outfit, especially the jacket, was amazing! Did not see the murderer in that one coming! I thought we'd be adding a new contact at the PD and Mary would be a full-time PI.

• Love 3

Finally made it to the end of season two. Another good season. I really love Trudy, Mary and Flo so much. They are such great characters. I really felt for Mary when she was fired and loved when she met the woman cop. I really like her dream of being a cop. But I still love every time she gets involve and uses her job as Morality Officer to get information or talk to someone. How excited she was when she picked a lock. I'm neutral on Grayson. I liked Hemingway better. Greyson just seems to be there.

• Love 4

You know what’s never made sense about this show? Correct me if I’m wrong, and I pay so little attention to this show so I might be, but it’s the fact that even whole this show takes place in the same universe as Murdoch Mysteries, (the Murdoch Mysteries Cinematic Universe, if you will) and yet Flo, a capable, intelligent woman, isn’t a doctor. Like we’ve seen Julia go to bat for The One After Emily and fight for women’s rights, it just seems insane to me that Julia (or someone!) wouldn’t help her. I know they’ve got this shtick going of girl power! and ladies doing it for themselves! and women being better than men! But it seems like a huge disconnect to me. 

Also, re: season premiere, eh. Felt a little disjointed. 

• Love 1

Isn't Flo working on becoming a doctor so she can be a coroner?

With Frankie in England and the other three back in Toronto, it did feel somewhat disjointed but it didn't really bother me too much.

Loved the portrayal of Agatha Christie.

I enjoyed this premiere much more than the Murdoch Mysteries premiere.

No mention of Inspector Grayson and his name wasn't in the credits so maybe they got rid of him.

Edited by Trey

It was tough for women to try to become doctors even 8n the 1950s when my mother was in med school so I can accept the Flo is having a tough time being dismissed.

It was lovely to see Honeysuckle Weekes (Sam on Foyle's War ) again, and it was good use of Christie's real life, including the line of "If I ever go missing...". I kept waiting to get a better shot of her but for some reason Agatha never took off her hat.

I thought at first that it was just going to be Frankie in England and I was glad when the Toronto scenes appeared. One advantage to having Frankie separate is that I got to see Trudy, Flo and Mary take a bigger role in their scenes. When they're with Frankie, she tends to take up all the air in the scene.

• Love 6
On 9/17/2019 at 1:23 PM, Trey said:

Loved the portrayal of Agatha Christie.

I enjoyed this premiere much more than the Murdoch Mysteries premiere.

No mention of Inspector Grayson and his name wasn't in the credits so maybe they got rid of him.

I thought Agatha was fantastic. I too enjoyed it so much more than Murdoch. And if Grayson is gone, good riddance!

My roommate pointed out that somehow Frankie knew the colour of the dresses Flo, Mary, and Trudy were wearing and got the perfect matching hats!

Dammit, Christine Horne is a national treasure. Why she isn't famous I'll never understand. Oh wait, it's because she mostly does theatre. Really wish we had a star system for that like they do in England.

I knew Ben Blais was in the episode (he posted about it on his Instagram) but didn't recognize him shaved. Fun to see him get the crap kicked out of him!

• Love 1

You go Flo! Love the romancing over science. Their scenes were what I really loved about this episode. Too bad he's moving on - I love that she got a hot man!

The boxing stuff was really boring to me, although happy to see Frankie reunited with Moses. That's the one relationship of hers that actually feels real. (Although I did come around to Hemmy by the end - probably because he was never going to stay.)

Everything else was a little better but there was way too much Frankie in this episode. Hope next week is better.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:18 AM, amck said:

I'm not liking the new hair, it seems very harsh and not a good cut.

They haven't really gotten a handle on it the whole run, although season 1 hair was the closest.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit, loved Mary showing up the male cops and her speech to the captain afterwards.  Maybe she will get to be a real policewoman yet.

Roya was a little bit annoying but mostly I liked her - liked that she was the one who wrote the cheque to the detective agency.

Flo was great as always; Trudy has been fairly low key so far this season, hope they have her singing again.

What was up with Frankie's stupid remark that quicksand was just sand and not dangerous at all?

• Love 3

I don't think Frankie ever said it wasn't dangerous. She said it's just mud. I took that to mean that she had made it out to be this huge thing but in the end it was something you can manage. So it's ok to be but don't let your imagination run away with you.

Flo was full of advice and I'm here for it. "Be a bear cat!"

You go, Mary! Love what she said at the end, referencing her policing lineage and proving she can do the job just as well. Hopefully something will come of that.

I like that Roya was a pretty good example of what Frankie must have been like at that age. Was nice to see Frankie in a situation she wasn't in control of.

Just a lot of great character stuff this episode. And since that's why I love this show, I hope the rest of the season is at the level of tonight's episode.

Thank God Greyson's gone!

• Love 3

This episode really didn't have much going on, did it? We all knew that Trudy wasn't going to stay dead, so running it in flashback didn't really work for me. Did like that we have a new detective and he's not falling all over Frankie but isn't trying to bust her chops either. Looks promising.

And ok, the scene in the funeral parlor was a hoot!

• Love 3
On 9/24/2019 at 2:18 AM, amck said:

I'm not liking the new hair, it seems very harsh and not a good cut.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:37 PM, marina to said:

They haven't really gotten a handle on it the whole run, although season 1 hair was the closest.

I found this interview where they talked about the hair.

Does the blonde hair stay through the third season?
LLS: It does. And I think we’ve nailed Frankie’s look. In Season 1 they sort of had this image that someone found and it was with this red hair. Very cool. And we tried it. I’m not naturally a redhead. Maintaining red hair was extremely difficult, especially keeping the style. That made it very difficult for everyone. It was very time consuming for everyone. My hair started to fall out.

So Season 2 we’re like, ‘OK, maybe we’ll try a wig.’ Right. That again added about an hour and a half to my day each day, and you’re already dealing with it a 14-hour day. That’s a lot of extra time to add to a day. And also, we were very limited in terms of how I could move with it, and if you’d be able to see it. It was one of those things where everyone’s like, ‘You know, you’re naturally a blonde. We’d love you as a blonde.’ Why didn’t that, why wasn’t that ever sort of…

It sort of goes with the original idea that we had of this character anyway, which is a little bit more of a tomboy, a little bit more ahead of her time, a little bit more androgynous and ready to take on action and not be so girly girl. We tried a few different styles. We, we did a bunch of hair makeup tests and, and then everyone just sort of agreed, wait a minute, I think this is sort of the Frankie, that we all, we all envisioned her to be in the first place.

https://www.tv-eh.com/2019/09/25/lauren-lee-smith/

Edited by marina to
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3