Type keyword(s) to search

Frankie Drake Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can tell you that Sharron Matthews, who plays Flo, is best known for being Joan the Secretary in Mean Girls.

Grace Lynn Kung, who plays Whiskey Wendy, recently played Annie Chun in Mary Kills People. She was Meeri (Julianne's assistant) in Being Erica and JoJo in InSecurity. My favourite role of hers is playing the mistake-prone assistant stage manager Emily in season 2 of Slings and Arrows.

• Love 2

A decent pilot. It feels like a CBC show, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I like Frankie, Mary and Trudy, but I'm not sure I really care about the long arc of Frankie and her mother rekindling their relationship we're going to get. 

I LOVE that Hemingway is a character. I just graduated journalism school and my favourite fact is to say that Hemingway worked at the Toronto Star and no one believes me even though I'm sure the archives are at the TRL! 

A decent show. I'll stick around for a couple more episodes. I like that we aren't dealing with just murders here. I feel like it has promise. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

A decent pilot. It feels like a CBC show, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I like Frankie, Mary and Trudy, but I'm not sure I really care about the long arc of Frankie and her mother rekindling their relationship we're going to get. 

I LOVE that Hemingway is a character. I just graduated journalism school and my favourite fact is to say that Hemingway worked at the Toronto Star and no one believes me even though I'm sure the archives are at the TRL! 

A decent show. I'll stick around for a couple more episodes. I like that we aren't dealing with just murders here. I feel like it has promise. 

I thought Hemingway at the Toronto Star was a well-known fact.  At least in Toronto.

And I agree with you.  I'm not interested in the Frankie/mom storyline either.  

• Love 3

I thought the mother left at the end, taking that one pearl with her.  I'm not sure how one pearl was left behind when all the rest were still strung together in the necklace. I hope she left for good; I couldn't take much more of her. 

I like the rest of the cast and will enjoy getting to know them.

Overall, a good pilot episode although just a bit on the slow side.

• Love 1

I'm torn - I watch the episides a little late and would prefer individual episode threads so as not to get accidentally spoiled. But being a Canadian show that is not shown in the States, I don't think there'll be enough traffic for that.

I enjoyed Nora Drake - she's a handful but I appreciate that she's not a crook with a heart of gold. Usually shows are afraid to make women protagonists somewhat unlikeable or hard to take; that's not an issue here. I don't exactly like Nora, but I appreciate her character. The mother/daughter crime-solving duo is not a take that's been done to death. And other than Hemingway, it seems all the supporting cast are women. I'm in.

• Love 2

@Miss Dee, there's no Hemingway in future episodes, as far as I can tell. Certainly not in ep 2, which I just watched.

I'm biased because the actor is a friend but I'm loving Flo so hard. Just love what they're doing with the character. I liked that we saw a lot more of Trudy this episode and I'm finding myself really interested in knowing more about her. And after finding her annoying in ep 1, I liked Mary here. The actor playing the factory owner's voice was incredibly familiar but when I looked him up on IMDB the name didn't ring a bell, nor his resume. I like that we got some taste of a major social issue going on at the time. The mystery itself was kinda meh.

• Love 1

This weeks episode was the first episode that was actually interesting. I mean, I'm not sure I even finished ep 2. But two bodies, yes! I think I like Frankie, but she seems too 21st century for me. That bike and everything, it feels like someone took a 2017 woman and then dropped her in the 20s. Still like Trudy, and that voice! Still adore Mary. I know exactly where Frankie's tension with "Hemmy" is going and I'm not here for it. I thought it was an good case, too. And that British actor seemed very very familiar.

• Love 3

Yeah, I was really hoping they weren't going to go there with Hemmingway. He's pretty to look at but I'd rather see him with Trudy. She killed it with that song. Flo was fun once again, Trudy rocked, happy to finally see Whiskey Wendy and looking forward to her story. I have to agree with everyone else about Frankie not feeling part of that era.

• Love 1

Just finished Episode 1. I love Wendy Crewson so I really enjoyed watching her and I’m sad to see that it’s the only ep she’ll be in for the season (if the season is only 11 episodes). She did take over the ep though, so interested in seeing how the rest of the actresses fair with more screen time.

I had no idea Mack Sennett was a Canadian.  The actor who played him even looks very similar to pictures of Mack Sennett.

Yes, it was nice to see something Frankie isn't good at:)

• Love 2

Bored by all the gangster stuff but loved Flo making that ass scream in pain, liked Mary getting to be a true cop, and happy to finally see Whiskey Wendy. Did anyone notice when Trudy and Mary were coming up on the moonshiners, the music had a hint of the Mission Impossible theme at the beginning before going into something different?

• Love 1

There is something about this show that I do not like and it’s bugging me because I guess I want to? 

Anyway, it was okay, I guess. I continue to adore Mary and I liked seeing her and Trudy work together. (Sidenote, I’d like to know more about Toronto’s morality squad. Guess there is a trip to the TRL in my future) 

It felt like a filler ep, tbh. I feel like it didn’t need to be in a flashback and thats a weird way to set an episode but okay. sure.  

The gangster stuff was boring, I agree. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

There is something about this show that I do not like and it’s bugging me because I guess I want to? 

Me too, but I think I'm out.  I would watch the heck out of "The Trudy and Flo Mysteries," but I just can't warm up to Frankie herself.  

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Me too, but I think I'm out.  I would watch the heck out of "The Trudy and Flo Mysteries," but I just can't warm up to Frankie herself.  

Yes, it's Frankie I don't care for.  I love Trudy, Mary and Flo but Frankie just leaves me cold.  I disliked the ending of last night's ep; I didn't see how she could still be attracted to someone who had murdered his own brother. Joe should have stayed dead.

I will continue to watch but if it doesn't get renewed I won't be disappointed, or surprised.  Maybe they could do a reboot without Frankie:)

• Love 3

It's very dissapointing because I would love to love this show, but I always find the best parts of the show are minus Frankie. I said above that she just seems too modern a woman and I was waiting to see if that changed, but it hasn't and I think that's the root of my problem with this show. It's hard to watch a show where i don't care for the main character. I guess I'll keep watching though, it's like 6 more episodes. 

• Love 2

I loved last night's episode, Ties That Bind.  I think Mary is my favourite character and I liked meeting her sister. Flo was great as always.   Frankie was more tolerable in this episode and even Nora didn't annoy like she did in the first episode.

If they continue the show, they should call it Girls with Guns instead of Frankie Drake.

• Love 2

I loved Ties that Bind too. Loved seeing Melanie Scrofano as someone other than Wynonna Earp, and I liked getting some backstory on Mary. Trudy continues to be the most beautiful woman on earth (like that yellow dress and matching hat? YES!) and I could even tolerate Frankie, even though I was not surprised at all to see her mother back. (Watching them dance together as a distraction was super cute and I laughed with Nora introduced her as "Cleopatra") I'm also super interested in next weeks episode. I think you are right, @Trey, a rebrand is in order, but i think im slowly warming up to it?? 

• Love 3

I really enjoyed seeing Laurence Fox last night.  I could not remember where I'd seen him before - turns out he was Hathaway on Inspector Lewis. I never watched too many Inspector Lewis episodes so Fox must have made a big impression on me.  He can come back any time.

I have gone from watching mostly because nothing else was on to hoping they do get another season.

• Love 2

I love one man and that man is silver fox George Crabtree. 

I really enjoyed this episode, too. I have this thing with flying. I’d love to fly a plane. (i’m not tall or smart enough but that is neither here nor there)

I really appreciate how all four main women work together and that is something I really like about the show. It’s really ramped up these past couple of weeks, and I’ve enjoyed both epsiodes so far aince they’ve come back from break. If they keep up like this, I may actually hope for it to be renewed. 

(hahahha never mind.)

Edited by allonsyalice
  • Love 3

Late to finding this show but I'm really enjoying it after having binge watched.   I like the characters, especially a show around four women investigating after all the testosterone-heavy cop and detective shows on US TV, and I love the clothes and decor of the period.

Even the supporting characters are good.  It's a good pairing to Murdoch. (And far better than the CBC's other new drama, Burden of Proof.)

• Love 3

I shouldn't like a fictional Hemmingway as much as i like this one (and he's leaving so that's that, i suppose. Way to get me to fall for you at the last minute, Hemmy.) Somewhere in the second act, this episode (Anastasia) fell flat for me, something about knowing that the Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna is dead ruined it for me. I don't know, I like Anastasia, the animated movie and the broadway show, but something about this one felt weird. I do appreciate the premise 

I am not slowly warming up to Nora. Also, too much Frankie, not enough Trudy!  

Also, the best part about this show is the soundtrack. Catch me doing the charleston as it plays. 

• Love 2

Too much Frankie, not enough Flo, Trudy and Mary, in the last two episodes.  And I could do without Nora ever showing up again.

I loved that Mary went to New York to find out what happened to the missing Russian woman.

• Love 4

I'm surprised that they got rid of Hemmy, but like how they sent him off. I know some here weren't a fan of the character but there was no denying there was attraction with him and Frankie, so I'm glad that was acknowledged before he is sent off. I also think that it's a good choice to not keep him around long, since the real Hemingway wasn't in Toronto that long. If only the real Hemingway was as charming as the one we've been presented.

I also found the mystery really interesting, with all the twists and turns. But I agree, not enough Flo, Trudy and Nora. Hopefully with Hemmy gone, we'll be getting back to them.

Edited by marina to
  • Love 3

It’s definitely weird that thet got rid of Hemmy so quick because wasn’t he writing about Frankie? It’s weird they would drop that plot line, I wonder if it would come back again. And I will agree that there was major chemistry between Lauren and Steven wow. 

• Love 2

I'm happy to read that I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Frankie. 

I think that the writers should murder Frankie and Trudy, Mary & Flo could solve the murder together and then re-invent the detective agency -The Three Furies Detective Agency, perhaps?

Just watched the season finale and did anyone else notice that very modern manicure on Trudy? A maid with a manicure? I think not!

• Love 2

We in US just got this on our PBS Streaming "Passport" channel. Dropped the first 2 eps and are adding 1 per week. Wanted to like it, but can't say I care for it all that much. Such 21st century sensibilities for that era! Too PC for the times rendering it unbelievable. Nice sets, costumes reasonably period (more or less), but it just doesn't work. Like many others, don't care for Frankie. Not sure if it's the actress, the writing or both. She's being billed as the next Phryne Fisher and that sure isn't the case for me! Uh uh.

• Love 2

Good season opener.  I loved Flo and Mary working together to solve their mystery, which ended up being Frankie and Trudy's mystery too.  I do not need Nina showing up too often.

On 8/30/2018 at 7:57 AM, Ms Lark said:

Not sure if it's the actress, the writing or both. She's being billed as the next Phryne Fisher and that sure isn't the case for me! Uh uh.

I enjoyed Phryne Fisher mysteries too but also found them rather slow.  Of course, things really were slower in the 1920's:)

As to Frankie, I think she's a little smug, plus they have her being able to do so many things and supposedly  has had so many adventures with real life people that it is just not believable.  I would have liked her to be a little more ordinary. Also agree, it's a little too PC for the times.

• Love 2

Is it just me or was Frankie’s costuming for the season opener so weirdly modern? like that blue dress she wore seemed really out of place. 

Anyway, I know I wasn’t this shows biggest fan last season so this season ive decided to try harder instead of stopping watching. It was fine. Trudy is unfairly beautiful. And we do need less Nora. I enjoyed Mary and flo working together and the way Mary got them into the graveyard.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Is it just me or was Frankie’s costuming for the season opener so weirdly modern? like that blue dress she wore seemed really out of place. 

Anyway, I know I wasn’t this shows biggest fan last season so this season ive decided to try harder instead of stopping watching. It was fine. Trudy is unfairly beautiful. And we do need less Nora. I enjoyed Mary and flo working together and the way Mary got them into the graveyard.  

I didn't think the blue dress looked out of place, there's nothing new under the sun and those wrap around dresses did exist back then and so did the bright colours. 

I had issues with her hair and that "ensemble" she was wearing later. I kept thinking, for some reason, that it seemed more 30s than 20s. But I'm not exactly a fashion afficiando so I could be wrong.

The long hair seemed out of place but then, so did her hair in the first season.

All things considered, I think I'd rather watch the Flo & Mary show!

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, welnoc said:

that "ensemble" she was wearing later. I kept thinking, for some reason, that it seemed more 30s than 20s. But I'm not exactly a fashion afficiando so I could be wrong.

I wondered how she thought she could shadow someone in that striped outfit and not be seen! I agree, the long hair isn't right for the period.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, welnoc said:

I didn't think the blue dress looked out of place, there's nothing new under the sun and those wrap around dresses did exist back then and so did the bright colours. 

I'm gonna have to look again, but it was sleeveless, and I feel like, for the period, sleeveless dresses were strictly nightwear, if at all. I do admit that my knowledge of 1920s clothes is more rudimentary than I would like but I'll learn more as I do more research. It feels, though, like they don't know what to put her in. It would be pretty scandalous for a  woman in the 20s to wear pants and I'm sure they would have just worn men's style clothes if they did. So anyway, what i'm saying is i'd definitely like to see Frankie in more men's style clothes.

5 hours ago, Trey said:

I agree, the long hair isn't right for the period.

The long hair also felt very heavy for her, as if it was weighing her down. I think she was struggling to adjust.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2018 at 5:00 PM, allonsyalice said:

I'm gonna have to look again, but it was sleeveless, and I feel like, for the period, sleeveless dresses were strictly nightwear, if at all. I do admit that my knowledge of 1920s clothes is more rudimentary than I would like but I'll learn more as I do more research. It feels, though, like they don't know what to put her in. It would be pretty scandalous for a  woman in the 20s to wear pants and I'm sure they would have just worn men's style clothes if they did. So anyway, what i'm saying is i'd definitely like to see Frankie in more men's style clothes.

The long hair also felt very heavy for her, as if it was weighing her down. I think she was struggling to adjust.

Have a look at this website. https://glamourdaze.com/history-of-womens-fashion/1920-to-1929

Lots of sleeveless dresses there. But again, I'm not an expert by any means! I was thinking that the dress looked like polyester which I don't think was even patented then.

I think she'd look a lot better if she just wore men's clothing too but maybe it would conflict with the idea that she's sort of irrestible to men.

She may be the titular character but I believe she's the weakest link.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, welnoc said:

She may be the titular character but I believe she's the weakest link.

I agree.  I think part of that is the writing for her because she's just the greatest great to ever great,  and other than her war work, the character is the least interesting of the group. Trudy has the race issue, Flo and Mary have to fight against being put down in their workplaces because they're trying to do nontraditional jobs.  Poor Rebecca Liddiard, going from an equal on Houdini and Doyle as a female constable to the fourth wheel of this show.

I also think Frankie's hair this season is too long. The bob was fashionable then and her long hair looks very strange.

I like Anthony Lemke as an actor and I was hoping that the new detective would be for Mary. But noooo, he's  going to be all about Frankie too.

I thought the best moment of the show came when Flo and Trudy were talking to Dr. Banting, and an ad for the Canadian Diabetes Assoc. appeared on the bottom of my screen. The episode itself was sponsored by the diabetes association.  Well-placed marketing, guys.

• Love 2