Type keyword(s) to search

Best Baker In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/10/2017 at 10:26 AM, dleighg said:
On 10/8/2017 at 2:00 PM, Simon47 said:

he seems a bit too VN on this show.

what is VN?

Google brought up Very Nice.  But one would not say someone is 'too very nice.'  So it remains a mystery!  

On 10/9/2017 at 8:54 PM, wings707 said:

How did he win if she was so much better?  I'm not being a smart ass, I really want to know what happened. 

Because those shows are as much about the novelty factor as they are about the baking factor.  It's not just "bake something."  It's "make a naked cake that celebrates one of these items associated with Santa.  There are 10 socks with different items written on it.  You will have to incorporate whatever you grab."  Then half way through the bake--"Now that you've all started with your cakes of various flavors, you will have to incorporate peppermint extract into what you present to the judges.  Started doing a peanut butter and jelly cake?  Well good luck."

It can be fun to watch.  And annoying.  The winner is someone who can navigate all the themes and surprises the best.  For someone like Cheryl, who was both arrogant and a perfectionist, those elements can be hard to navigate. IIRC, her final bake was kind of boring when it came to design.  She's much more suited for this competition where it's "ready-set-bake."  Straight forward.  No major curve balls. They have been given a flavor to incorporate but they know before they even start their bake.

Jason has some good comments but I do think his "flavor" judging style would fit better into one of those more themed baking shows.  I actually consider this show to be elegant and as much as I like Jason and actually don't mind him as a judge here, that's not how I'd describe him. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

So he beat Cheryl on Holiday Baking Championship? I thought I watched that but I don't remember him. Was this the one that was a knock-off of the British baking show, with Mary Berry? Or something else?

And I got from googling that he also won Food Network Star? I quit watching that one awhile ago. There they put so much emphasis on POINT OF VIEW and PERSONALITY. I much prefer these shows (like the British show in the tent) that are really about talent, not personality.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Was this the one that was a knock-off of the British baking show, with Mary Berry? Or something else?

You're thinking of the ABC's Great American Baking Show which may have had holiday in the title its first season.  That's done by the same production company as GBBO and had Mary Berry.  This show is closer to GBBO than the FN Holiday Baking Shows with its pictures of the eventual finished desert and straight forward challenges. 

Most of the FN baking shows have game show type elements to them.

I don't mind Jason as a judge. Frankly, I'm surprised that he's bringing as much to the table as he actually is.  I noticed that Jason hang back a bit in the first couple of episodes and let Marcella crack the whip. Now it seems like she has backed off and both she and Jason are letting the gray-haired guy/host play "bad cop" or at least they did this week.

I liked Nancy Fuller as a judge and assume she'll be back for the holiday series next month.  However, her skill set as a baker is the same as, if not slightly less than, on par with Jason's, in that neither one of them are formally trained pastry chefs. Jason has the win of a baking championship plus FNS as bragging rights.  I think that FN now is purposely adding an "amateur" to the judging panels of competition shows to be the "voice of the home baker/cook." FWIW.

Honestly, I think the best baking judge is Duff. He gives fair criticism and explains what the contestant did wrong and how to fix it. He also is not so arrogant that if he is impressed with what somebody made and it's something he has never accomplished, he mentions it. Lorraine is what she is. I think she's kinda snippy (maybe it's just the British delivery) and has a "mean girl" vibe about her sometimes. I can take her or leave her. FN seems really determined to make her "happen."  I'm glad that Damiano is gone.

• Love 4

Cheryl's downfall is that she seems to get too much into her own head. She said she didn't "connect" with the St. Honore' cake. It's a freakin' pastry! Dwayne said he'd never made one but gamely stood up for the challenge and did quite well, even by pushing the envelope of tradition and making his chocolate. I'm glad Marcella set that straight. If you're a professional baker, you try your best to produce what the client (or in this case, the judges) want.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Because those shows are as much about the novelty factor as they are about the baking factor.  It's not just "bake something."  It's "make a naked cake that celebrates one of these items associated with Santa.  There are 10 socks with different items written on it.  You will have to incorporate whatever you grab."  Then half way through the bake--"Now that you've all started with your cakes of various flavors, you will have to incorporate peppermint extract into what you present to the judges.  Started doing a peanut butter and jelly cake?  Well good luck."

It can be fun to watch.  And annoying.  The winner is someone who can navigate all the themes and surprises the best.  For someone like Cheryl, who was both arrogant and a perfectionist, those elements can be hard to navigate. IIRC, her final bake was kind of boring when it came to design.  She's much more suited for this competition where it's "ready-set-bake."  Straight forward.  No major curve balls. They have been given a flavor to incorporate but they know before they even start their bake.

Jason has some good comments but I do think his "flavor" judging style would fit better into one of those more themed baking shows.  I actually consider this show to be elegant and as much as I like Jason and actually don't mind him as a judge here, that's not how I'd describe him. 

Yes, I watch this show.  I watched him win and I saw Cheryl's plain wedding cake!  I think that is what it was.  Jason was clearly better and he won.  My question was to the poster who claimed there were better bakers there than Jason.  Well, he won.  He was good enough.  LOL.  

• Love 4

I love this show. I can't believe I hadn't heard of it until it got a forum.  I watch a lot of baking shows but my favorite types are the straight forward baking shows like this one.  "Make this.  Make that."  Bakers are allowed to bake and decorate as they want and it's not under some kind of weird theme.  Such pretty, appetizing results. 

I hope we get another season. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, grisgris said:

I noticed that Jason hang back a bit in the first couple of episodes and let Marcella crack the whip. Now it seems like she has backed off and both she and Jason are letting the gray-haired guy/host play "bad cop" or at least they did this week.

I think they switch.  During the macaron challenge, Jason was pointing out the flaws.  I read up thread that Jason sometimes will defer to Marcela and Adam but I didn't notice that.  During the binge, I've actually seen Jason and Adam disagreeing with her.  And I've seen Jason disagreeing with the two of them--especially when it came to the tequila. 

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

He was good enough.  LOL.

Why do I think this should sasy "He was good enough, honey."

• Love 1

I feel sorry for Jason because he won Food Network Star. That show focuses on the excitement and the ability. It's ridiculous. Remember that one Martha Stewart lady that got eliminated because she wasn't smiling? That is a great example of what I'm talking about here.

• Love 1
On October 14, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Irlandesa said:

I love this show. I can't believe I hadn't heard of it until it got a forum.  I watch a lot of baking shows but my favorite types are the straight forward baking shows like this one.  "Make this.  Make that."  Bakers are allowed to bake and decorate as they want and it's not under some kind of weird theme.  Such pretty, appetizing results. 

I hope we get another season. 

Totally agree with everything you said. The challenge is not one that would be too much for the viewers (ex. Make a strawberry St Honore cake about a scene in which Santa was sick on Christmas), but instead they are given a simple task (ex. Make a St Honore Cake).

• Love 2

I like this show, too. It reminds me of the Great British Baking Show in its tone. The contestants are nice and supportive of each other and they act like normal people. I wish FN they could get amateurs that act like normal people on their other cooking shows and not all that over the top crazy stuff. Also the challenges are just baking challenges, nothing crazy, just bake the best whatever.

• Love 2

Add me to the group of happy campers with this show's format.  No crazy contestants, no whack-a-doo 'twists' or add-ons.  I hate when shows (mostly FN shows) feel they need to do some kooky antics to challenge the bakers/chefs.  Just give them the docket with a particular theme (Pastry, Sweet Dough, Donuts...) and let these people show the audience & judges their skills, knowledge and innovations.  I'd be so pissed if I went on one of those shows where they make the bakers/chefs use some odd ingredient.  If I'm a professional, classically trained pastry chef (and on TV to promote myself & my bakery), I want to spend most of my allotted time perfecting my pate choux or rolling out phyllo dough for an amazing plated dessert. Then someone tells me with 15 min on the clock that I need to incorporate fermented quail eggs or popcorn flavored jelly beans into my dessert for added "hilarity & hijinks?" Why? Because 3rd level PA thought of it while getting stoned with his/her roommate?  I'd make sure that PA would be wearing a face full of meringue while I slowly wave a a blow torch across it.   That's why I love Great British Bake Off so very very much.  Nothing screams "manufactured drama" under the tent!

• Love 6

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying here.  FNS is a bunch of hype but there still is some modicum of skill required. (I'm in no way implying that Jason wasn't skilled enough to win.) This show certainly focuses on skill and talent. I guess it's not as dramatic as FNS, but honestly, the FNS, winners, villains and cannon-fodder contestants are telegraphed a mile away from about the third episode. I think Jason is doing great as a judge on this show. It's his first time to the FN judging circuit rodeo, so I expect he'll get better as he gains more exposure and experience.

IIRC, Addie (Martha Stewart 2.0) got eliminated because she came off as too rehearsed or too ill at ease in front of the camera  (such as when they had to do the ensemble presentation) -- one of the other.  A lot of her food looked very basic. It was the inconsistency that got her sent home.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, grisgris said:

IIRC, Addie (Martha Stewart 2.0) got eliminated because she came off as too rehearsed or too ill at ease in front of the camera  (such as when they had to do the ensemble presentation) -- one of the other.  A lot of her food looked very basic. It was the inconsistency that got her sent home.

That is exactly the smelly sock about FNS. They don't pay attention to the real thing that FN is about - the food. Instead, they criticize other contestants for their personalities and camera skills, not about the food! This is exactly what amazed, angered, appalled and aggravated many viewers that have decided to abandon FN for this cause. And that is why I feel sorry for Jason. He was treated very well about his food, but in that part where Bobby Flay criticized him on his sayings, the judging went completely downhill, which I believe led to Addie's unfair elimination. It was very heartbreaking and Giada's boobs were not cute at all. Now I think you understand. Amirite??

On October 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM, wings707 said:

Google brought up Very Nice.  But one would not say someone is 'too very nice.'  So it remains a mystery!  

Viciously Nervous. 

19 minutes ago, Simon47 said:
On 10/14/2017 at 6:53 AM, wings707 said:

Viciously Nervous. 

Oh come on!  LOL  And how would anyone know that?  You are the devil, clearly. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Simon47 said:

Now I think you understand. Amirite??

I get what you're saying but TFN has never been exclusively about the food even when it was more food-oriented.  The recipes won't matter if people don't want to watch the personality.  But another issue with making it about the dish that is served in front of the judges is that many of the flaws are about the execution, not the recipe.  Since they won't be executing the recipe in a viewer's living room, execution doesn't matter. 

Now I do agree that they're a bit misguided in how they go about selecting a new star because rarely do I want to watch who they choose* but that's another discussion. 

*Although I have been a sucker for Jason since he first appeared on the baking show so I am glad his "win" gave the network permission to use him as a judge.

• Love 3

During FNS, Jason listened to the judges and implemented their criticisms. When they told him to dial back the corny schtick and cutesy sayings, he did so and while they crept back some, they never regressed to the level they were when Jason first came on the show. Addie was repeatedly told that she came across as too stiff and rehearsed. While she made some temporary improvements, they didn't stick. Regardless, something got her eliminated and it was decided that Jason was the chosen one for this season.

The wild inconsistencies and double-standards on FNS bug me to no end. I especially hate how anybody of an ethnic background is forced to "cook to their roots."

At least with a baking competition, there's a narrower focus. It also helps that in the big challenge, the judging criteria is explained to the contestants (and the audience) so the playing field is somewhat level. FNS is a wild card.  They need new judges because I think Bobby and Giada just don't give a shit any more. They are probably burned out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought the winning cake-the werewolf cake, looked sloppy and unappealing. I also didn't get them raving over cupcakes since usually the judges say they are too simple. My favorite was the devil cake with the flames, but I understand the back kind of caved in. I guess i dont mind the extra ingredient since it doesn't seem too off the wall. 

I also like it that the judges don't all agreee. I did have a question after the episode: what is cookie butter? They mentioned it is an acquired taste and I thought maybe it was like cookie dough but that wouldn't need an acquired taste I don't think. 

This was on the Halloween Baking Championship not Best Baker in America! It is a bit confusing having them on at the same time! But I agree that the Werewolf cake was awful looking! It must have tasted good!

Edited by suebee12

I like the format of this show and I even kind of like the host-- he definitely has some knowledge and isn't just a talking head *cough*Jeff Dunham*cough*.  They'd actually have to go outside their own shows to find more talent for a second season, since it seems like this show is almost like a Holiday Baking Championship All Stars.

• Love 2

I like Adam Rapoport as host too.  I'm still wondering how FN got someone of his stature to host a show.

I was soooooooo relieved to see Cheryl eliminated.  She was a study in arrogance and excuses.  I couldn't stand her last time she was on and liked her even less this time around.  If they had eliminated Dwayne because Cheryl was the last woman standing, I would have been angry.  Based upon the opera cakes, she was the right one to go.  

I like all the bakers who are left and will hate to see each one leave as the weeks go on.  

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, GaT said:

I'm surprised that Cheryl was the one eliminated, I thought it was going to be Dwayne. Both of their opera cakes looked like regular layer cakes to me.

Yes but one thing I really appreciate about this show is that they say the first round's results will factor into their final decision.  I think that's what happened here.  While Cheryl had pretty good creme brulees (not gonna look for the accents), Dwayne put out something that the judges couldn't stop eating.  I think that's why he was saved. 

• Love 7

I didn't get Thiago's cake.  It didn't say "opera cake" to me at all, but apparently it was A-OK with the judges.  I was very impressed with his chocolate cigarettes though.  And I wanted to hear him sing opera!!

I think Andy will win.  This guy is familiar with anything that the judges throw at him.  His chocolate mirror glaze and his sugar work were perfect.  His crème brulee was a failure though.

ETA:  I really love the teaching moments of the show, like Cheryl explaining the difference between French, Italian, and Swiss buttercreams.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3

I feel like Andy is a little too "safe" with his creations, which totally makes sense based on his profession.  Thiago isn't always successful (and I, too, thought his opera cake was pretty out there!) but at least he really shoots for the stars 

I'm totally over Adalberto's weird gooseberry fetish

• Love 1

I agree with Irlandesa that this show is elegant, which makes Jason not a good match for it. He looked good last night and there was only one folksy comment shoehorned in, so he appeared to be trying. Not sure how long he'll (be allowed to) keep that up. 

For all I know, Jason has much knowledge, extending beyond what we've seen, and he may even be a baker extraordinaire. But the skills he demonstrated on the other shows weren't on par with what we're seeing in this show. Whether he really is out of his league here or not, it feels that way to me. I'd rather see him judging one of the more gimmicky shows.

• Love 1

I like Cheryl, but during the elimination last night I realized I like all the contestants. This is one of the few times on any show that I would be happy with anyone winning. I can't say enough how much I love that this show assembled a group of highly skilled competitors and simply asked them to do what they do best.

I agree it's time for Adalberto to deep six the gooseberries.

• Love 3

Happy Cheryl's gone. She was so insufferable on this show, even more than on HBC.

Was Thiago on any of the baking championships of FN? I don't remember him being on FN, but IMO he's a pretty skilled baker.

• Love 3

So glad that Cheryl is gone. She was too stuck on herself and her skills! (On another note, her lipstick was awful!!) I am really enjoying this series and really don't want to see it end. Sure hope they bring this back.

I really like the judges also. They balance each other. And I like that they disagree without being nasty. All in all, a good show! I like all of the guys left so now it is going to be hard to see someone go.

• Love 2

I like Jason on here. He is much toned down and I think he gives good critiques. He tells the bakers why he thinks the way he does. He has only used his "countryness" a bit and it does not bother me at all.

(For an aside, I watched the marathon of the Halloween Baking Championship from last year(missed it because I was moving) and those judges were awful! Sandra Lee, Damiano, and Carla...they were enough to make me turn off the show so it proves that the judges do make a difference.)

• Love 8

I like Jason too and has offered good critiques. No, he doesn't have the same training as some of the contestants but I don't think that makes him unqualified.  

I do think he has been dressing spiffier lately.  Clearly someone else is dressing him because during the talking heads, he has a very flashy jacket.  I am amused. 

• Love 4

Sexual preferences is the reason why the finalists are all men. Thiago's cake looked beautiful, Andy's dessert left the judges wanting more, Dwayne got a chance, and Albert got a chance too.

I'm very late to the party but how can the "Best" baker in America be somebody who has already lost on other lame baking shows? I don't know why I expected this show to be different.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2017 at 7:52 AM, HyeChaps said:

Andy reminds me of Jeff Garlin. 

Ahhhh, that is who it is.  I knew he reminded me of an actor.  Very close replica!  LOL  

Cheryl could not admit her mistake in her final DT.   She said she tried to do something different.  No, she didn't!!  Cutting her cake in half and stacking was a desperate measure to cover her mistake.  That being, the cake layers were too thick plus the icing layers were too thin.  If she left it flat there would not be enough layers!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

I'm very late to the party but how can the "Best" baker in America be somebody who has already lost on other lame baking shows? I don't know why I expected this show to be different.

That is just the title of the show and means nothing.  Like Dancing with the Stars doesn't mean the contestants are stars.  

• Love 2
On 10/19/2017 at 6:52 PM, Irlandesa said:

I like Jason too and has offered good critiques. No, he doesn't have the same training as some of the contestants but I don't think that makes him unqualified.  

I agree.  Formal training does not automatically make the person a better baker.  I am sure all of us know a college graduate who has deplorable grammar on top of not being successful in a career.    

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Qoass said:

It is different.  It's no-gimmick straight baking which why the "losers" are making more impressive entries this time.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

My DVR didn't record a new episode this week. I'm not seeing any comments since last week's show, so I guess there wasn't one?

Isn't this show on Wednesdays? (I watch on AppleTV so always behind anyway)

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Isn't this show on Wednesdays? (I watch on AppleTV so always behind anyway)

Oh, gosh,  is it? I always watch it after the fact, but I could have sworn it was on Mondays or Tuesdays. Well, hopefully you're right! I need another episode. Really enjoying this.