Type keyword(s) to search

Best Baker In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was not so surprised that LaSheeda did well. They showed a diagram of the layers and she said she knew how to make all of the components. I would expect all of them to be able to make daquoise, buttercream and ganache and there seemed to be some leeway in the actual layers. Still rooting for Adam. Most of what he makes is just so pretty.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I was not so surprised that LaSheeda did well. They showed a diagram of the layers and she said she knew how to make all of the components. I would expect all of them to be able to make daquoise, buttercream and ganache and there seemed to be some leeway in the actual layers. Still rooting for Adam. Most of what he makes is just so pretty.

I'm kinda surprised he didn't carve his into a cylinder shape.  You know, to be more modern.  ?

• Love 7
On 6/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, Rammchick said:

I agree about Jean Francois.  They make a big deal about him but he often doesn't hit the mark.  Is it his ego that gets in the way of him excelling or is it that he's judged more stringently than the others?  I'm not sure it isn't both.

I really like him and honestly think it is ridiculous Jason is judging him... JASON.  He won the first 2 or 3 baker challenges if I remember right so I would imagine the judges are giving him a bit more leeway. 

• Love 6

He's ridiculous. I am an eighth-generation North Carolinian. Everyone in my family from my grandparents back were farmers and rural country folk. No one I have ever known has talked like that.

• Love 12

Wouldn't a rooster wearing socks be unhappy? Wouldn't the socks tangle in his claws and maybe force his feet into unnatural shapes? He's killing me with those. 

Happy Jean Francois won both. Glad, but unsurprised, Max went home. I think the final 3 are the correct ones. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

He's ridiculous. I am an eighth-generation North Carolinian. Everyone in my family from my grandparents back were farmers and rural country folk. No one I have ever known has talked like that.

I lived in NC for 20+ years and I never heard anyone talk that way, either.

Talk about stereotyping.

• Love 3
(edited)

I like Jason but feel that the producers are encouraging him to ramp it up with the sayings because they think they’re amusing and unique.  This is doing him no favors in the credibility department and they need to figure that out quickly/cut it out.  Once in awhile is fine.

Marcella has, for the most part, improved her manner of speaking and doesn’t up-talk like she used to do on every other sentence.  Drove me nuts.  I am tolerating her on this show.

Florian looks so different!!

Totally agree that this is the correct Top 3.  All three are quite talented.  Poor Max — you could tell from the first challenge that he was the one they had decided would go next.  I liked him.

I’m such a fan of Jean-Francois.  I think he’s a delight and hope he wins.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 7
(edited)

I find it amusing that when Jason breaks out the southern schtick it's shrill and way OTT, but when he actually gets serious during the final judging, the accent disappears by about 70% and his voice drops a tone or two.  Much better without the schtick.  

I like the final three.  IMO, Max always seemed to be in over his head, although he's clearly talented.

Now, Jean-Francois can take it all, but I wouldn't be all that upset if any of the three won. 

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 6

Jean-Francois in describing his Mont Blanc, quite clearly pronounced Chantilly in the American fashion, with an audible "l" and three syllables. It was soft l, of course with his French accent. So we were correct; Becca was being pretentious. Chan TEE indeed. 

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Jean-Francois in describing his Mont Blanc, quite clearly pronounced Chantilly in the American fashion, with an audible "l" and three syllables. It was soft l, of course with his French accent. So we were correct; Becca was being pretentious. Chan TEE indeed. 

Totally thought of that when Jean-Francois pronounced Chantilly twice! 

Becca -- so lame, girlllll....

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2

I like Jason, and even I think he was coming off as forced with his sayings this week. I actually thought he'd dialed them back a bit a couple weeks ago, but this week they crossed the line into nonsense. The whole "horse dancing in a barn" thing was so belaboured that I almost turned the show off right there. His mannerisms were so much more natural-sounding on the Baking Championship that (at least to me) they came across as charming. Now, not so much.

(Side note, he's from Kentucky, not North Carolina, right?)

After the first couple of weeks, I never thought LaSheeda would be in the final three, but she's seriously raised her game. She even broke out a (sorta) cylinder when even Adam dared not do so! It was very obvious that Max was going home, but I did not care for him from the beginning and he kind of faded into the background for me as the competition went on, so it's no big loss. The obvious top two made it, and the third spot went to someone who's come on strong at the end, so I can't complain about the results.

Overall, though, this show still seems flat. Despite (or, as I sometimes think, because of) the higher level of talent, this show sits behind the Baking Championship franchise in terms of enjoyment (and it is INFINITELY behind the show it seems to want to be, the Bake-Off franchise). Mrs. Dewelar and I have taken to calling it "Best Boring Baker in Boringland", although that might be slightly harsh. We'll likely keep having it on our TV, but probably only as background in the future.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, dewelar said:

I like Jason, and even I think he was coming off as forced with his sayings this week. I actually thought he'd dialed them back a bit a couple weeks ago, but this week they crossed the line into nonsense. The whole "horse dancing in a barn" thing was so belaboured that I almost turned the show off right there. His mannerisms were so much more natural-sounding on the Baking Championship that (at least to me) they came across as charming. Now, not so much.

I meant that I'm a Southerner and have never heard such affectations.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, bilgistic said:
16 minutes ago, dewelar said:

I meant that I'm a Southerner and have never heard such affectations.

Ah, gotcha. I am not a Southerner but I have cousins in Mississippi who will occasionally let one fly, but nowhere near as often or as oddly "cornpone" as Jason does.

14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Ok to be fair, the producers probably tell him him to ham it up. It's not any different than say Chopped, where all the judges have to have that stern, sometimes angry look while they're eating the food.  Or Mark Dacascos on Iron Chef America, saying "in the words of my uncle..." with the accent, when he's not related, & he's American born.

• Love 8

Adam seems to be slipping a little. His flavors don’t seem to be in the right proportion and some of the required flavors aren’t very apparent. Didn’t care for his white meringue sticks—they looked like cigarettes or tampons. Max looked bewildered every time they showed him on camera. Hated his decorations—they looked like something broke all over the top of his dessert. Lasheeda’s rectangular Charlotte Royale looked like tank. Didn’t care for any of the Mont Blancs—that vermicelli piping looked like ground beef to me. Oh well, two more desserts I’ll never attempt to make. They just don’t appeal to me.  I am glad Jean-Francois won the last round. Adam seemed shaken. It was nice to see Florian. He didn’t look constipated the way he used to look in Cupcake Wars. He hates red velvet anything. Maybe Adam’s red floured sponge gave him flashbacks to Cupcake Wars. They finally found a suit that fits Scott!  JF for the win.  

• Love 7

Nothing they made looked appetizing. Didn’t like the brown stringy things on top of the first dessert. Charlotte Royales always look like a brain to me.

• Love 6

I noticed how Jason's whole demeanor changed when Florian appeared.  

I have a friend from Arkansas and he often talks the way Jason does.

I wonder if Marcella and Jason planned their attire?

Why couldn't this show have Florian and Sherry and Marcella as the judges and Jason as host?  Surely, this show is a step-up from "Cupcake Wars."

• Love 5

Apparently Jean-Francois is well-known and highly respected in baking circles and Adam is clearly talented and highly skilled so they're the right two for the finale.  I like Lasheeda and she's done some good things but I don't think she's quite in their category yet.  

Why couldn't this show have Florian and Sherry and Marcella as the judges and Jason as host?  

Agreed although I don't like Marcela so I'd rather have Zac Young who can be a little much but has the credentials.  I'd also be happy with Andy who was on the show last season.  He has decades of experience and all kinds of awards and credentials.  I like Jason when he isn't being so OTT and I agree that he'd be better as a host.  It bugs me that he (or anyone) is sitting in judgment on people who "outrank" him in their field.

• Love 5

I like Jason too but between these shows and FNS I am getting fed up with FN molding people into who they think we want them to be.  I mean, Jason is considerably twangy by nature but to have him over use his colloquializms is insulting as a viewer.  See, everyone from Miami must love salsa dancing and mango, all Southerners use unGodly amounts of butter and lard, New Yorkers all make Sunday gravy and speak in Godfather terms, and all Californians use nothing but fresh greens and never eat anything unhealthy.

It is just plain insulting.

• Love 20
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Maybe they could give Adam his own half hour show on all the little chocolate work, cylinders and decorations he's so good at creating.  We'll call it:  Madam, I'm Adam (which is the same backwards and forwards). 

Mrs. Dewelar and I were talking about Adam yesterday, and we decided he'd be a good instructor, but only for people who actually want to learn what he's teaching. He's quite skilled at explaining things, which I assume is why they chose himi to do so much of it during the tasks, but I don't think he'd be very good at motivating people, because there doesn't seem to be much energy in his voiceovers.

And yes, a palindrome makes perfect sense for his show name!

Edited by dewelar
Phrasing
  • Love 1
(edited)

I've actually had vermicelles for dessert in Switzerland and it is quite tasty. I was happy to see the Mont Blanc challenge for that reason.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 1

Someone please explain Mont Blanc to me.  I looked up Wikipedia and it was no help. 

It looked like a sweet pastry crust with a dry meringue and Chestnut frosting.  Seems too dry for my taste.

Is it supposed to have whipped cream in the crust and then the meringue sits on top of that?  Or a pastry cream?  That would moisten it up a lot.

Honestly, I don't know.  But I am glad this show is getting into other desserts besides cake, cookies, pies, and bread pudding.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Rammchick said:

By the way, for everyone keeping score, "vermicelli" is Italian for little worms.  Not something I want on my dessert, thank you, even as a biologist! 

They resembled the poop emoji tbh. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/13/2018 at 1:16 PM, Destiny74 said:

Someone please explain Mont Blanc to me.  I looked up Wikipedia and it was no help. 

It looked like a sweet pastry crust with a dry meringue and Chestnut frosting.  Seems too dry for my taste.

I don't like chestnuts so don't eat Mont Blancs, but I can tell you that they don't have a pastry shell.

And since when was cardamom "gingery" (description by the geniuses at FN).

To the host: wearing a badly tied, crappy tie and cheap shirt from Burlingtons' doesn't help your credibility.

Marcella, unless you're Tara Lipinski at a skating competition, please don't wear something that requires pantyhose netting to hold your outfit together.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2

Jason had rapidly gotten heavy.   He'd better watch out...he hasn't been on the circuit long enough to enjoy longevity at this pace!  I can't believe I'm suppose to take of these dessert judging shows seriously anymore.   The next one is a wedding cake baking championship with the 2 figure skaters.   Yikes.  Anyone who has seen Johnny Weir on a food show knows he wouldn't let anything resembling white flour or refined sugar some anywhere near his mouth.   The judges nowadays seem to be "characters" more than anything.

I agree!  I’m a big fan of Jean-Francois but Adam was a notch above all season.  So enjoyed the friendly rapport between these final 3.  Gorgeous works they did.  

And I’m a lone voice, I guess, but I really like Scott Conant.  He’s genial and fun and runs a good ship.  Yes, his suits don’t flatter him but I don’t think he cares! 

It was a fun season.  Beautiful bakes and good folks w a deserving winner. 

• Love 17

No surprise that Adam won. (I thought his cake looked a hot mess, though. Less is more at times.) 

I am always surprised by the cheapness of these shows. 7 episodes these people worked and provided entertainment for the viewer and the winner got $25,000 and the rest bupkis. Not that $25,000 is anything to sneeze at, but still. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Do you think Jason and Marcella are getting all matchy-matchy as an homage to Johnny and Tara or did they think they were being original?

That was the first thought that came into my head.  Marcella, with her hairdo, was taking on the Johnny role. 

• Love 3

I had to turn the finale off.  I couldn't handle any more of Captain Corndog's "witticisms".  They were driving me up the wall and are so bogus, "a rooster wearing socks"????  Before I turned the show off, I was having fun creating X-rated versions of his sayings but I don't think I can post them here.  Great job Food Network in annoying viewers with a judge. 

• Love 2

Happy with the top 3 and happy with the winner... what more could you ask for?

Well, you could ask for Scott Conant to get a new stylist. He was dressed like evil corporate Willy Wonka last night!

I audibly gasped when Lasheeda was stacking her Sacher Torte and the jam basically shot out the sides... that's how much of a baking nerd I am!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Do you think Jason and Marcella are getting all matchy-matchy as an homage to Johnny and Tara or did they think they were being original?

Ugh....Won't be watching the Tara and Johnny "aren't we the most wonderful things you've ever seen in your life" show.

Honestly,  I would have been happy with any of the final three.  For me, Adam's cake had way, way to much going on.  The cake got lost in the decorations, but based on the judges comments, he hit absolutely everything else spot on and he'd been the most consistent baker of the 3 for the duration of the show.  

• Love 2

I thought it was funny in the final discussion just before the "reveal" Scott said something like Adam tried so much, that he made a few mistakes. I don't recall them mentioning a single mistake when they were speaking to him! I think they were just trying to pretend it was a horse race. It was painfully obvious that Lasheeda wasn't going to win (her cake did look like it was going to tip over), and that Adam was a step or two ahead of Jean Francois. The only thing they "criticized" Adam for was that it didn't need the half coconut decoration. Ok....

• Love 4
(edited)

I like Scott Conant, too. As others have said, he just needs a new stylist. His tie last night was distracting. It looked like a Windsor knot gone wild!

I think Marcella is beautiful. I actually liked the hair decoration. Suitable for a coronation.

As for Tara and Johnny, I like him, but, I was a Michelle Kwan fan, so I can never warm up to her. They are good as commentators, but I don’t like their whacky duo stchick.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 6

Don't get me wrong, I started this season with a side eye for Scott.  I have been proven wrong.  He was a genial, fun host.  He knows enough about baking to converse (but still not enough to advise) and I liked his back and forth with the contestants.  I still think his wardrobe was heinous.  

I knew Adam was going to win.  His cake looked a bit kitchen sink to me and he got called out on that.  Jean-Francois could keep up but I don't think his ideas are as new and fresh, he's pretty happy with status quo flavors.  Lasheeda did as well as she could with these two competitors.  She's very personable and I liked her.  I just thought she was a bit out of her league.  Especially after her rather sloppy sachertorte.

• Love 3

Oh, and looking at Adam last night, I have decided who he reminds me of. 

He's CLARK KENT.  Swear.  Hand to heaven.  He was looking for a telephone booth after his win, I know he was.

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

Oh, and looking at Adam last night, I have decided who he reminds me of. 

He's CLARK KENT.  Swear.  Hand to heaven.  He was looking for a telephone booth after his win, I know he was.

I felt that for a while, I thought it was just me.

• Love 1

I thought Adam was consistently the best throughout the competition.  He had a couple minor missteps but he's really a master in his field.  I was very happy that he won.  I liked both Jean-Francois and Lasheeda a lot but I thought Adam did better overall.  I was disappointed that they didn't show him cutting that cake.  It was so complex that I wanted to see how he did it.

Adam does look like Clark Kent but I think he's probably too big to change in a phone booth.  

What on earth was Marcela wearing?  She appeared to be in costume both last week and this and not in a good way.  Yike.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I thought Adam was consistently the best throughout the competition.  He had a couple minor missteps but he's really a master in his field.  I was very happy that he won.  I liked both Jean-Francois and Lasheeda a lot but I thought Adam did better overall.  I was disappointed that they didn't show him cutting that cake.  It was so complex that I wanted to see how he did it.

Adam does look like Clark Kent but I think he's probably too big to change in a phone booth.  

What on earth was Marcela wearing?  She appeared to be in costume both last week and this and not in a good way.  Yike.

I agree about Adam - I was very happy he won. He put it all out there and mostly achieved what he attempted.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was a little surprised they didn't pay some homage to an American dessert--like apple pie--since they had all of these international desserts going on.  Those chocolate cakes looked so moist and yummy; I'm sure I gained weight just by looking at them.  Wonder who eats all the leftover food cooked on FN every day.  They should have a studio audience where they pass out leftovers.  I'll take a slice of chocolate cake, please, but I'll pass on anything prepared on "Chopped."  I hoped Jean-Francois would win.  When they announced that Adam won, I was darn near as upset as a billy goat that got its tail caught in the barn, or something like that.  Buh-bye, Jason.

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

Honestly,  I would have been happy with any of the final three.  For me, Adam's cake had way, way to much going on.  The cake got lost in the decorations, but based on the judges comments, he hit absolutely everything else spot on and he'd been the most consistent baker of the 3 for the duration of the show.  

I feel the same way.  There were a couple of times that Adam almost did himself in by doing too much with his presentation.  I think he was just so eager to impress the judges that he went a little over the top at times.  I'm happy that they acknowledged Lasheeda's skill with combining flavors.  What she lacked in presentation, she made up for in tastiness!   I would happily try any of their creations.  

• Love 5