Type keyword(s) to search

Best Baker In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/23/2017 at 9:19 AM, Qoass said:

I'm very late to the party but how can the "Best" baker in America be somebody who has already lost on other lame baking shows? I don't know why I expected this show to be different.

This show's purpose is specifically to give eliminated-from-other-competitions bakers another chance in a competition. A chance to become the Best Baker in America. That's what I think it really means.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:52 PM, BusyOctober said:

Add me to the group of happy campers with this show's format.  No crazy contestants, no whack-a-doo 'twists' or add-ons.  I hate when shows (mostly FN shows) feel they need to do some kooky antics to challenge the bakers/chefs.  Just give them the docket with a particular theme (Pastry, Sweet Dough, Donuts...) and let these people show the audience & judges their skills, knowledge and innovations.  I'd be so pissed if I went on one of those shows where they make the bakers/chefs use some odd ingredient.  If I'm a professional, classically trained pastry chef (and on TV to promote myself & my bakery), I want to spend most of my allotted time perfecting my pate choux or rolling out phyllo dough for an amazing plated dessert. Then someone tells me with 15 min on the clock that I need to incorporate fermented quail eggs or popcorn flavored jelly beans into my dessert for added "hilarity & hijinks?" Why? Because 3rd level PA thought of it while getting stoned with his/her roommate?  I'd make sure that PA would be wearing a face full of meringue while I slowly wave a a blow torch across it.   That's why I love Great British Bake Off so very very much.  Nothing screams "manufactured drama" under the tent!

It pains me to say this, given how much dreck is on FN, but somehow they have come up with what, IMO, is the best competitive baking (or cooking) show on TV, along with Great British Bake-Off. Along with the lack of manufactured drama, I appreciate that the show is not dumbed down for the home audience. My only criticism would be that I wish they could pull a broader range of contestants beyond people who have shown up on other FN shows (I’m not a regular viewer of other FN competitions, but I recognized a couple of faces).

• Love 9

I enjoy this show, too.  I like something sweet but in small doses.  It almost turns my stomach to watch the judges taste everything, especially in the beginning with so many bakers.  They take big bites too, unlike Loraine (?) on another baking show.  

Thaigo is the likely winner though Alan is right behind him so either could take this.  

• Love 1

I love this show and I hope that it is brought back. It is nice to see the bakers given a challenge and nothing extra added to it. My problem with last night's show was I liked all the contestants! That does not happen often. It was pretty obvious who was going home and who the night's winner was but they all preformed well. It as also refreshing that they were nice to each other and they joked around and shared supplies.

While I was watching it struck me that I would like to see Jason be on a show like this without all the shenanigans the other shows have. He baked well under those circumstances, just think what he could do just out and out baking! 

• Love 7

I liked Adalberto and was sorry to see him go but he was the right choice.  I would love to see Dwayne or Andy win but Thiago's more modern spin may sway the judges.  He's a bit arrogant and has made snarky comments about the others whereas Dwayne and Andy seem to like each other and have been mutually supportive even though they're competing.  I wonder how old Thiago was when he came to the U.S.  He has no accent that I can pick up.

I have never liked Marcela so I hope this is her swan song on FN.  I very much like Adam Rapaport and hope to see him again and I always enjoy Jason.

Yesterday I watched a rerun of a very old Challenge show with people who were good at their craft given adequate time and no silly twists.  That plus Best Baker made me long for the "good old days" (and Keegan Gerhard).  I wish FN would have more competitions like this.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, mlp said:

Yesterday I watched a rerun of a very old Challenge show with people who were good at their craft given adequate time and no silly twists.  That plus Best Baker made me long for the "good old days" (and Keegan Gerhard).  I wish FN would have more competitions like this.

Not to mention Kerry Vincent.  However, while you were watching those shows, you would've never thought you'd ever miss her!

• Love 4
On 10/26/2017 at 0:31 PM, wings707 said:

I enjoy this show, too.  I like something sweet but in small doses.  It almost turns my stomach to watch the judges taste everything, especially in the beginning with so many bakers.  They take big bites too, unlike Loraine (?) on another baking show.  

Thaigo is the likely winner though Alan is right behind him so either could take this.  

Andy, not Alan.

I agree about the judges tasting everything in big bites. I think that's why Nancy Fuller cancelled her show.

Just now, Simon47 said:

Andy, not Alan.

I agree about the judges tasting everything in big bites. I think that's why Nancy Fuller cancelled her show.

What show does Nancy have the power to cancel?  Or did she quit? Was she annoyed with Loraine?  

3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

What show does Nancy have the power to cancel?  Or did she quit? Was she annoyed with Loraine?  

I don't know, Nancy! I think she did quit, but she's still a judge, though.

I think you are talking about two different things here. Nancy will be back as a judge on "Holiday Baking Championship," along with Lorraine and Duff, which starts on Nov. 6 (I believe.)

Nancy's FN show, "Farmhouse Rules" is no longer in production. I honestly don't know if FN cancelled it or Nancy decided to throw in the towel herself.

I'm enjoying this show but is it only me or is this show modeled on Bake Off, especially with the drawings of the bakes?  I'm wondering if FN, seeing the success of Bake Off in so many countries, created this version to see how receptive their audience would be to a straight-up, no-twist baking show.  This show demonstrates that the logistics of bringing bakers from different states to the competition site can be managed.  The biggest difference between Bake Off and BBA is the contestants on Bake Off are, without exception nice and helpful with each other and any comments made about the competitors are quite obviously said in jest.  The competitors on this show are more verbally combative.  I wonder if this is producer-induced or an American characteristic.

• Love 5

I wouldn't be surprised if FN did model this competition after GBBO in some ways, such as no stupid twists or gimmicks and no added drama. The main difference is that these guys are all professional bakers or pastry chefs (or boths) and they have competed on other FN shows. (I think that's why contestants on this show are more verbally combative as Reality Check said. They've competed against each other before.)

I hope that the more professional tone of this competition will encourage other professionals to apply for future series (if there are any). There are probably a lot of good bakers and pastry chefs out there who would not compete on regular FN competitions because there is so much silly stuff going on. But maybe they would go on a show that is all about skills - and nothing else.

I really like this show. I was hoping Thiago would crash and burn because some of his comments about the older generation bugged me. I liked Adelberto a lot. Oh well. I hope Dwayne wins!!

• Love 5

I'm on Team Dwayne, too. IMO, some of Thiago's items seemed to be quite a liberal interpretation of the challenge (like his mini mirror cakes.) I am surprised the judges didn't ding him or call him out for it. In addition to the requisite "older" baker, the latest stereotype contestant is the arrogant millennial who thumbs their nose at traditional techniques.

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, dleighg said:

I like this show, but it really should be "best pastry chef" not "best baker". Bakers do breads, cakes, cookies, etc. Not that these guys aren't talented.

Good point.  But these guys are so talented that I can't complain, lest FN bring back dreck like Bakers vs. Fakers.

Yes, Thiago is a millennial.  He's 33.  That's probably why he will win.  FN wants a cutting edge pastry chef.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1

Shallow:  I want Marcela's dress from tonight.

Personal Taste: I'm happy Dwayne won because I liked the look of his cake and I like him but why Dwayne?  Why banana?  I would want nothing to do with that cake if it were put in front of me.

• Love 2

I like Jason as a judge here.

Thiago needs to learn how to edit himself.  He has a great eye and ideas but that final cake was a cluttered mess.

Delicate flowers and a clunky chunky bottle?  nope

I didn't care for Dwayne final cake aesthetic.  It must have tasted great.  All in all I thought the finale was a let down.  I did enjoy the simply soufflé challenge.  Reminds me of the pressure tests on the Ramsey show.  Nothing too kooky and results speak for themselves.

this show format is good though.  I agree with other posters that it was aired with a bunch of similar shows plus Halloween shows.  Kind of confusing!

• Love 3
On 10/30/2017 at 8:28 AM, Lamb18 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if FN did model this competition after GBBO in some ways, such as no stupid twists or gimmicks and no added drama. The main difference is that these guys are all professional bakers or pastry chefs (or boths) and they have competed on other FN shows. (I think that's why contestants on this show are more verbally combative as Reality Check said. They've competed against each other before.)

I hope that the more professional tone of this competition will encourage other professionals to apply for future series (if there are any). There are probably a lot of good bakers and pastry chefs out there who would not compete on regular FN competitions because there is so much silly stuff going on. But maybe they would go on a show that is all about skills - and nothing else.

I really like this show. I was hoping Thiago would crash and burn because some of his comments about the older generation bugged me. I liked Adelberto a lot. Oh well. I hope Dwayne wins!!

The other thing re GBBO is that we don’t know the timeframe that this show was shot over, probably not once a week. Also, I didn’t pay attention to all the contestants backgrounds, but we seemed to have several “consultants”, Andy was a cooking school instructor and Thiago was a food lab director. All would seem to have enough schedule flexibility to film something like this, which might be harder for many pro chefs.

I didn’t have a favorite in the final, but I did think it was a bit blah. I couldn’t get excited about souffles, and I thought somehow the cakes were a bit dull even though the decorations were impressive.

• Love 1

Similar to watching GBBO, I liked all the bakers and going into the finale, would have been happy with any of them winning, but still was invested in the episode. I did love Dwayne's reason for wanting to win, for himself. I am not one who minds what we call "sob stories," because people are motivated by dead relatives, etc, and should be free to answer truthfully when asked why they're doing this. But I always really love when someone wants to win for themselves. 

I am so glad I didn't miss this hardly-promoted show and hope it comes back. 

• Love 5

I thought Thiago was being set up for the win so I was surprised when Dwayne won - and absolutely delighted.  I'm very happy for him, especially since it meant so much to him.  I would have been happy if Andy had won too but he's won so many other honors that he didn't need the affirmation that Dwayne apparently did.  

Thiago is very talented and will probably do very well for himself but he needs to tone down the arrogance.  It was clear to me that Dwayne and Andy like each other and their banter was good-natured.  Thiago didn't seem to get that and his snarky comments didn't make him look good.

Watching Andy make those green leaves fascinated me.  I'd love to watch that in slow motion to see how he did it.

• Love 3

I like Andy but thought his decorations looked dated-throughout the whole show. Dwayne seems like a good guy too, but I was surprised he received the win considering he used store bought vanilla wafers and the judges could not taste the liquor in his cake. I thought Thiago should have won based on talent.

• Love 2

Cheryl (wasn't that her name?) didn't do so well on her second chance.  I thought for a while that she'd win it.  I hoped that Adalberto would win, but he's gone now, too.  That leaves me rooting hard for Dwayne.  He seems so sweet and so happy when they tell him he's done well.  Thiago will be hard to beat, though, I think.  He's too far out there for me in terms of design.

Edited by Lura

I remember Andy from other FN shows.  He is definitely talented, but his attitude seemed dialed up to 11 in these last few episodes.  Some viewers have commented they find Thiago obnoxious/arrogant.  I actually liked him over Andy!  Andy seemed very pissy toward Thiago IMO.  But whatever...neither of them won, so yay Dwayne I guess.  All of those final cakes looked awesome.  All 3 of these bakers are true artists.  I wonder since the majority of this show's contestants were repeat FN folks if we will start seeing Thiago pop up all over the place now...Beat Bobby Flay, or Chopped? More likely one of Guy's 800 iterations of "watch/listen as the big loud white dude stuffs his face" shows.

6 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

I would watch a series about decorating techniques. 

I'd love to see more detail in how they do those fancy things. Like those ribbons. Mine would flop!

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 4

I like Andy but thought his decorations looked dated-throughout the whole show.

I guess that's true but I don't understand why "dated" is a bad thing.  Judges complaining that something is dated are implying or even saying outright that modern would be better and that's not necessarily so - at least IMO.  I'd rather have a Rembrandt than a Jackson Pollock.  I thought Andy's flowers were beautiful no matter what decade they came from.

I usually expect contestants to get dinged for using store bought stuff but I didn't have any problem with Dwayne's vanilla wafers because he was doing a riff on banana pudding and vanilla wafers are the "authentic" ingredient for that, not homemade cookies.

I agree that Andy was prickly during the last couple episodes but I could see why and didn't really blame him.  He's a master at what he does and has been doing for many years and he got sick of the young whippersnapper making snide comments.  Thiago is very talented but he needs to improve his own résumé before he criticizes someone with Andy's credentials.  I had the feeling that Dwayne was sick of it too but was better at not letting it show.

• Love 7

Re-watched Holiday Baking Championship which I had not seen before, to see whether Jason is actually a good baker.   So far he is, but I haven't seen all of the finale.  He is creative and inventive and he has a point of view--his Kentucky heritage.  I especially liked the story about his Aunt who won the Kentucky State Fair three years running with her cake, which he is re-creating for the show.  Still, I don't think his baking skill comes anywhere close to the geniuses who were the Final 3 in Best Bakers of America.  

ETA:  His cake was fantastic.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1

Best Baker In America Season 2 Premieres Monday May 7th at 9PM

Scott Conant replaces Adam Rapoport as host.

Returning judges Jason Smith and Marcela Valladolid are joined by rotating guest judges, including baking digital influencers Yolanda Gampp, Joshua John Russell and Gemma Stafford, and prominent cake and pastry experts Florian Bellanger (Cupcake Wars), Shinmin Li (Halloween Wars), Sherry Yard, and Zac Young.

The Skills Challenge test baker's mastery of the essential technical skills of baking.  The Master Challenge tests the baker’s prowess working with specific flavors and ingredients.

The competitors are:

Becca Craig (Philadelphia, PA, Executive Cake Chef)
Kym DeLost (Chicago, IL., Pastry Chef)
Jeremy Fogg (New Orleans, LA, Pastry Chef)
Frania Mendivil (Los Angeles, CA, Executive Pastry Chef)
Leigh Omilinsky (Chicago, IL, Pastry Chef)
Lasheeda Perry (Atlanta, GA, Executive Pastry Chef)
Max Santiago (Miami, FL, Executive Pastry Chef)
Jean-Francois Suteau (White Sulphur Springs, W Va, Executive Pastry Chef)
Adam Young (Mystic, CT, Bakery Owner and Head Pastry Chef)

Challenges include baking perfect Petit Fours to creating a classical French layered meringue cake to constructing the perfect strawberry shortcake and old school classics such as a Charlotte Royale and a Mont Blanc cake.

Finale airs Monday, June 18th.

Unlike season 1, only 2 chefs appeared previously on a FN competition show.  Kym DeLost was on "Beat Bobby Flay".  Lasheeda Perry was on "Sweet Genius".

• Love 5

I'm very happy this show is returning but................... Scott Conant?  Seriously?  Adam Rapoport was the perfect host.  I wonder why they didn't have him back.  Maybe it was his decision.  I'm sure he didn't need the money or the publicity.  Scott isn't a pastry/dessert person in any way although I guess a host doesn't need to be an expert.  At least he'll be nice to look at.

• Love 2

Scott is fine but I agree that Adam was perfect for this.  Adam plus the two judges was the perfect system for this.  I don't think we need guest judges.

That said, I'm happy this show is back and back so soon. Last year it was aired in the fall. With it coming back in May, I wonder if they're going to aim for two sessions of this a year or if the timing just happened to work out better in the spring.

• Love 2

I just marathoned this show this weekend, and I'm really glad Dwayne won. It was clear he was a very smart guy and that he really knew his stuff. He was clearly paying attention in class. I also liked his refreshing, "I'm doing this for myself" attitude. I'm looking forward to the new season.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1

I hope Dwayne gets a chance to judge or even have his own show. I really liked him and he seemed very knowledgeable, even more than Andy who apparently teaches this stuff. He had a nice combination of down-home style with the technicalities of baking. Plus it would be nice to have some diversity at the table.

(edited)

New episode tonight, season 2.  Scott Conant is the host. I have fallen totally in love with this man because he opened a restaurant here in Phoenix and it is superb. Mora Italian.

My goal is to try everything on the menu.  I have eaten in a bunch of top restaurants in over the years and this one is the best yet. Anyone in Phoenix go!  Tuscon, drive here.

The wait staff was very interested in recording our reactions and opinion.  I told her I had never encountered a wait person who was so interested in our opinion.  She said the owners want to know what the diners think.  I loved that! 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2

The pedigree and talent of the bakers these season is outstanding. I have no favorite at the moment, and would be happy for any of them to win. I'm sure that will change soon.

Scott Conant is a miss for me. He doesn't fit in as a host very well, but I can't spell out what it is about him that bugs. He doesn't take up much screen time, since they really pay attention to the bakers, as they should, so I'm hardly needing to fast forward or anything. 

I hereby volunteer my time to be a taste tester for each and every baker on this show. I'm only a phone call away, people!

• Love 4

Did anyone catch tonight’s episode?  The challenge was for petit fours. The dark haired baker we’ve seen before—he made a bunch of chocolate flavored petit fours with ornate decorations. Don’t know if I can stand to watch the run of this. Jason (Colonel Corndog) gets on my nerves. Yes, I get it; he’s from the south, honey chile, where the days are hotter than fish oil.  Scott (“You didn’t rinse that pasta, did you?”) Conant’s vest was tight or ill-fitting.  We were waiting for his buttons to pop off and end up in someone’s mixing bowl. The snake cake was interesting because of the texture he got on it. The snake’s head looked like a play-dough ash tray project I did when I was small. The woman with the awful dried fondant monster arms should have been cut. The isomalt butterflies showed more skill. None of the desserts were mind bending. The pizza cake had potential but failed. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Jason (Colonel Corndog) gets on my nerves. Yes, I get it; he’s from the south, honey chile, where the days are hotter than fish oil.

I liked him as a contestant in his first competition. He was a novelty and also a very good baker. But now, as a judge, his shtick has worn thin and he's irritating as hell. Dial it back about 95% and he'd be fine. I'd love to know what's going through Jean-Francois' mind with these two judges sniffing around his work. 

• Love 11

Where have I seen Adam before?

6 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Don’t know if I can stand to watch the run of this. Jason (Colonel Corndog) gets on my nerves. Yes, I get it; he’s from the south, honey chile, where the days are hotter than fish oil.

Yeah, his voice is grating. 

• Love 2