Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Third Wave Water, Fidgetland, Tangle Pets, Enso Rings

• Start Topic

Pitches include a product designed to improve the taste of coffee; a trend for those who need to de-stress and improve focus; an item that will allow kids to enjoy brushing their hair; and a solution to a dangerous item people wear.

Pitches include a product designed to improve the taste of coffee;

Coffee tastes so awful, I just assumed it was supposed to taste bad and you only drank it for the stimulant effects.

• Love 2

The woman with the hairbrush thing was very annoying.

The brushes looked like ordinary tangle-free brushes you can buy anywhere. And if I'm behind a child brushing her hair, does it pull and tug less because it looks like an animal? 

The rest of the products I liked. I'm not going to buy distilled water to make coffee, though. I do plan to order a fidgeter.

I think the rings are a good product for people who work around machinery.

• Love 1

If I correctly recall, the rings were marketed as an alternative to metal rings--for people whose lifestyle or livelihood (or skin?) prevented wearing metal rings, but they still wanted to always wear a wedding band. They could also be personalized (if the ones I saw were in fact the same as the ones on the show).

I make my coffee with water from my Brita refrigerator pitcher. I use a French press to then make the coffee. Whatever that water additive stuff was seemed pointless.

• Love 1

I do get the ring thing - I had rarely taken my wedding rings off in almost 40 years, but last month a wasp stung me on the hand, my hand swelled up instantly (before I could think to take the rings off), and I had to get the rings cut off, which was pretty painful.  I also wonder if non-metal rings might be a better choice for someone (also like me) with slightly swollen finger joints.  On the other hand - silicone seems so much less permanent, which is the point of a wedding ring, I think.

I didn't really understand why the coffee additive was deemed to be so complicated - surely there are a lot of people who use distilled water for their coffee, and all you would have to do is add it to the jug of distilled water you buy and use it as you would normally , you wouldn't have to add it to each cup.  We buy the distilled water, (our tap water is pretty awful) and use it replenish the tanks in the coffee maker/nespresso as needed, it would be just as easy to add something to it when we open it for the first time. 

I thought the fidget things seemed like a good idea, and I'm glad that awfully nice man went with Barbara, even though it means giving up more equity, since I read one of the postings (I think for last week's episode) showed how often Robert's deals (for whatever reason) don't actually happen. 

Overall, I liked this episode so much better than last week - no annoying guest judges, no stunts, just a tolerable level of interaction among the judges.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I didn't really understand why the coffee additive was deemed to be so complicated - surely there are a lot of people who use distilled water for their coffee, and all you would have to do is add it to the jug of distilled water you buy and use it as you would normally , you wouldn't have to add it to each cup.  We buy the distilled water, (our tap water is pretty awful) and use it replenish the tanks in the coffee maker/nespresso as needed, it would be just as easy to add something to it when we open it for the first time. 

Are you 100% sure you buy distilled water? Distilled water taste bad (pretty awful, actually) & makes you pee like a race horse.

Sorry about cutting off your rings. That had to be scary. I always remove mine a zillion times a day.

23 minutes ago, rhys said:

Are you 100% sure you buy distilled water? Distilled water taste bad (pretty awful, actually) & makes you pee like a race horse.

Ha ha, never knew that about distilled water.  That explains a lot, though, I guess I am a race horse.  :)

I've seen the rings advertised for a few years... and agree they can be really useful for some people- taking rings on and off can mean lost rings, so having something you don't have to take off, or that you know you always wear for x job/activity makes sense. Even if it's just a place holder for the real wedding band. At their price point, I can see why they've had such good sales. My husband is a carpenter, and we've talked about a tattoo ring ;)

Didn't care about the coffee guys, cause I think coffee always tastes terrible, so I ffwd all the discussion after the initial pitch.

There are a lot of fidget items on the market right now... I wasn't paying enough attention to see what made his so special. Was it just the beads on rings?

I actually really liked the hairbrush, especially if it's a good detangling brush. My daughter hates having her hair brushed, so having something cute that's just for her and her sister would be fine with me, I buy them special detangling brushes anyway.  It's definitely a perfect product for QVC.

• Love 2

The hair brush lady needed a fidgeter. 

Who was the dedication to at the end of the episode? I thought it may have been the hair brush lady's husband, but not sure as they had different last names. How sad if it was him, since she said he was doing much better. Sad of course, whoever it was. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 4

So odd that as I’m reading everyone’s thoughts on this show, there’s a story on the news about a woman who got her wedding ring hung on the top of a chain link fence. She said when she jumped down, her finger didn’t come with her. She wears her wedding rings on her right hand now. Shudder.....

I don’t get the fidget things. Never have, never will. Someone left one of them in my yard, and my dog hates it.

8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t get the rings. Is it such a chore to take off your rings if you work around machinery, etc.?

8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

If I correctly recall, the rings were marketed as an alternative to metal rings--for people whose lifestyle or livelihood (or skin?) prevented wearing metal rings, but they still wanted to always wear a wedding band. They could also be personalized (if the ones I saw were in fact the same as the ones on the show).

I make my coffee with water from my Brita refrigerator pitcher. I use a French press to then make the coffee. Whatever that water additive stuff was seemed pointless.

Traditional wedding bands are definitely an issue for certain professions. My FIL is an electrician/lineman. He almost lost his finger while on the job due to the ring. My husband didn’t wear a wedding ring for almost 20 years because he’s a firefighter. His issue was the rings he liked were not hard enough and would get crushed, which also was dangerous to his finger. He bought a silicone one and one that’s made out of some other material that’s very sturdy and doesn’t bend-not metal- that he wears most of the time now. These guys work sometimes upwards of 60 hours a week. If they want to wear a ring, they’d be constantly taking it off. I see the appeal for this type of product. 

8 hours ago, mjc570 said:

This is what I was thinking. Even if I had to now buy a different kind of water to work with these packets, I may try it. I spend so much money on getting coffee in coffee shops because I just don’t like the coffee I make at home nearly as much. If I can find something relatively cheap ($15 for a packet of 12 on Amazon) to try, I’m willing to do it. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, rhys said:

Interesting.  I have never tasted it.  I bought it once years ago for a steam iron.  I would never bother with the extra step but there are coffee freaks out there who probably would. 

9 hours ago, roctavia said:

There are a lot of fidget items on the market right now... I wasn't paying enough attention to see what made his so special. Was it just the beads on rings?

Fidgetland rizzle

7 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Who was the dedication to at the end of the episode? I thought it may have been the hair brush lady's husband, but not sure as they had different last names. How sad if it was him, since she said he was doing much better. Sad of course, whoever it was. 

It is the accountant for Shark Tank who died of cancer. 

I googled the rings; there are many styles and colors.  I can see them become a fad if they aren't already.  The thin ones can be stacked. I see it as more of a fashion item that would appeal to young women and girls than a break away.  I just don't see someone taking their ring off and putting another one, just leave it off.  <shrug>

That brush.  Oh good god.   It is on amazon for $29.99.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

The ring thing seemed kinda stupid at first but it made more sense as the pitch went on.  I wish they'd taken Kevin's deal instead of Robert's.  Nothing against Robert, but Kevin made a good point about how much his multi-product platform could bring.

Coffee product I couldn't understand because, as I explained earlier, coffee all tastes like hot dirt to me and I can't understand how you improve the taste of dirt.

The last entrepreneur.... I just wanted to slap her and tell her to calm down and shut up.

I enjoyed seeing the update on Sleep Styler.  It is one of the few Shark Tank products I have purchased.  I bought shortly after the original episode aired, and it took 3 months to arrive. Which is fine and what I expected.  As I mentioned in another thread, I did not buy the Sleep Styler for me, because I am a man with short hair.  It was a gift for my best friend, who is a woman with long blonde hair.  She loved it, a lot.  Even more than I anticipated.  Just raved about it.

Things are looking different.  Mark and Robert switched places, and everyone but Kevin seems to be trying some new styles in clothing.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

Things are looking different.  Mark and Robert switched places, and everyone but Kevin seems to be trying some new styles in clothing.

I like the new set and different seating but I didn't notice the change in styles until you mentioned it. 

I like that the women are wearing separates, I don't like dresses.  Lori looks more stylish and less tacky but she had to go with the sparkles on her top.  <eye roll>  I am shocked she is wearing pants.  

I love the black shirt on Mark.   Robert was very dressed up.  Nice. 

• Love 1

People don't buy distilled water to drink. It's to put in irons for ironing clothes & steamers. Distilled water has no minerals & that's why it keeps your iron clean. It tastes very very flat. Minerals provide some taste, I guess, to water but the best way to continue with a bit of a science here is that water we drink (undistilled) has the same trace mineral balance as our bodies. If you were to drink 100% distilled water you'd pee more than you drank because your balance of minerals would be off. That's why I said upthead you'd pee like a race horse.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

I have a "wet brush" that I paid maybe $6.99 for at Target. It doesn't snag my very long, tangle-prone hair. I rarely brush my hair when it's wet because it breaks and stretches it (pro tip), but if I must, I use the wet brush.

1 hour ago, rhys said:

People don't buy distilled water to drink. It's to put in irons for ironing clothes & steamers.

It's also used in sleep apnea machines. I have one that I don't use I'm shameful.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, wings707 said:

During the pitch she said it retailed for like 12 dollars didn't she? or less? I know during the pitch I was surprised by how affordable it was... Amazon is so weird on it's pricing sometimes.

• Love 1

I enjoy coffee and drink it daily, but the coffee water additive wouldn't be for me. In our household, we buy cheap Kroger brand ground coffee and use tap water in our Cuisinart machine. That being said, the Sharks clearly don't know much about the hipster coffee snob market, and I know several people who would use that product.

Did Lori and Robert really think it was supposed to be poured in the cup of coffee, though? I thought the guys from the company explained the usage pretty clearly.

9 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Traditional wedding bands are definitely an issue for certain professions. My FIL is an electrician/lineman. He almost lost his finger while on the job due to the ring. My husband didn’t wear a wedding ring for almost 20 years because he’s a firefighter. His issue was the rings he liked were not hard enough and would get crushed, which also was dangerous to his finger. He bought a silicone one and one that’s made out of some other material that’s very sturdy and doesn’t bend-not metal- that he wears most of the time now. These guys work sometimes upwards of 60 hours a week. If they want to wear a ring, they’d be constantly taking it off. I see the appeal for this type of product. 

I think there are more people than you'd think who can't wear a wedding ring to work, and might want to, even beyond the safety issues -- my cousin worked in the jewelry industry, and they couldn't have any metal on them at all at work -- I guess because they used metal detectors for theft prevention?  

• Love 2

We've found the lovechild of Chris Farley and Melissa McCarthy, and she's selling brushes.

Are they just putting hot men on these shows as an excuse for Babs to get her jollies? It can't be a coincidence they're only on the episodes she appears in.

If you're worried about your finger getting torn of how about...not wearing a ring? Just a thought.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, roctavia said:

During the pitch she said it retailed for like 12 dollars didn't she? or less? I know during the pitch I was surprised by how affordable it was... Amazon is so weird on it's pricing sometimes.

It costs her $2.60 to have them made in China, wholesales for $5 and retails for $12.  Clearly Lori upped the price in final negotiations.  

• Love 2

Does anyone know why Robert and Mark changed seats?  None of the other Sharks changed their seating.  I noticed last week that Robert had changed his seat, but that was also when Mark was in the center seat.  Now it just seems strange to me that those two changed.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Does anyone know why Robert and Mark changed seats?  None of the other Sharks changed their seating.  I noticed last week that Robert had changed his seat, but that was also when Mark was in the center seat.  Now it just seems strange to me that those two changed.

Maybe they will shuffle again.  Daymond usually sits were Barbara did last night.  

• Love 1

I found this episode a zillion times better than the one last week. It's so much better with the "original cast." The rapport, the chemistry -- a guest shark just disrupts that.

But for the rings -- like Mark, I wish they'd gone with the angle of "fun silicone ring as jewelry trend" rather than is your wedding ring TRYING TO KILL YOU??? I put this product in the same category as protect your wallet from thieves with EVIL CREDIT CARD STEALER READER THINGS and a handbag with straps that can't be CUT BY KNIVES.

• Love 6

I know plenty of people at top coffee shops/roasters but most don't futz around with their water to this degree - yet they still make outstanding coffee. Most just use filtered water, I think. Although they're all in places with good tap water, I guess.

There is an optimum level of minerals in water for coffee, so I guess there's a niche market for that water stuff amongst amateur coffee geeks (especially in cities with crappy tap water) -- but I suspect the average consumer would be far better served by some more basic changes like using freshly roasted coffee, grinding that coffee right before use, and mastering manual brewing techniques, than they would be tweaking their water's mineral levels. If you're already using less-than-a-week-old third-wave beans, grinding them in a good burr grinder, and have perfected making a Chemex coffee with a set of scales and a goose-neck kettle then sure, but my hunch is that this product isn't going to make a substantial difference for those throwing supermarket beans into their Mr Coffees, which is the vast vast majority of the market.

I also don't believe for a second that the Brewer's Cup winner (it's a real, prestigious thing) made noticeably bad coffee with regular water unless that was his goal. 

14 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

So the selling point is, we should buy Enso rings because they break. 

I'm pretty sure it only breaks under a certain amount of pressure, which is pretty high.  But, yes.  It breaks the ring rather than your finger or rip the finger off.

• Love 3

Maybe this is a basic question, but aren't rings supposed to look nice? They're like jewelry for the body, if you think about it. It's not like we all have to wear government-issued identity rings or something. It's a fashion choice. So why wear an ugly, breakable rubber one? Also, and this is an interesting fact: they are removable. Maybe don't wear things that can catch or tear or set you on fire or suck you under the escalator in risky circumstances? I guess I'm not a born entrepreneur. The only thing I've ever bought off the Tank is Elephant Pants, and I don't wear the pants and kimono while rock-climbing.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, columbot said:

Are they just putting hot men on these shows as an excuse for Babs to get her jollies? It can't be a coincidence they're only on the episodes she appears in.

It's really gross and they should stop doing it. What if Robert or Mark behaved the way she did when an attractive woman showed up on the screen? We'd all be screaming for their heads, and rightfully so. 

• Love 14
On 10/8/2017 at 11:51 PM, rhys said:

Coffee made with regular tap water makes me pee like a race horse. I wonder what coffee made with their product would do to me. I'd probably have to hook up a catheter.  

14 hours ago, columbot said:

I generally like Barbara, but I cringe when she starts ogling the men. It might have been amusing the first time, but now it just seems a little sad. Never mind that it constitutes sexual harassment. Is she trying to be playful, or is she trying to show us that she still has a strong sex drive, and, therefore, she is still young and vibrant? 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I know plenty of people who have had their wedding ring tattooed on their finger.

lots of people at my gym wear silicone bands. I liked the gold colored one and love the idea.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:53 AM, cooksdelight said:

So odd that as I’m reading everyone’s thoughts on this show, there’s a story on the news about a woman who got her wedding ring hung on the top of a chain link fence. She said when she jumped down, her finger didn’t come with her. She wears her wedding rings on her right hand now. Shudder.....

I don’t get the fidget things. Never have, never will. Someone left one of them in my yard, and my dog hates it.

interesting that fidget thingys are so hot right now, when did this guy come up with this idea??

The sharks probably didn't understand the concept of the water additive because they haven't made coffee for themselves in decades. I'm the last living human who uses a stove top percolator every morning and, although I am by no means a coffee aficionado, I like my ONE daily mug of caffeine to be good. That being said, I use bottled water and I have no complaints. Speaking of bottled water, I was surprised to hear from a friend undergoing a bone marrow transplant that there are only two brands of bottled water that her doctors recommended (cleaner, with less bacteria), Evian and Fiji. I'll stick with the store brand, thank you.

Last woman was obnoxious. 

Fidget spinners are already passé. I can buy one at the local hardware store for $1. 

Those rings looked like something you could buy for 25 cents from those machines outside the grocery store.

• Love 1

Barbara's deal to the fidget guy was pretty bad. He was making $175k free cash flow, even with an aggressive ad campaign. She valued the company at $250k. If they either grow as could be reasonably suspected, OR realize it's peaked and stop advertising, she'll have her money back within a year. I tend to think 3 is reasonable for Shark investors, and that's still a premium of 5 year payback for a non-Shark.

Even Robert's 15% wasn't great. But the guy turned that down, so I guess he believed Barbara's pitch about being the ADD-whisperer or whatever.

On 10/8/2017 at 11:09 PM, mjc570 said:

I legit did not know distilled water is sold in supermarkets until I was told so after the show. So I also thought it was a complicated extra step. (The only place I ever encountered distilled water myself was in a Chemistry classroom.)

That said, even knowing that I'm still wondering: couldn't I just get my favorite bottled water? Or mineral water if that's the secret? Why do I need to buy special distilled water and then add his minerals separately?

On 10/9/2017 at 1:59 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

Yeah I really wished she would have an "off" mode. But I did give her credit because she knew she was over-the-top specifically to sell, and wasn't just talking over everyone because she doesn't listen. Plus - and I admit this is a low bar - she didn't say "Momtrepreneur" or start crying.

3 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Coffee made with regular tap water makes me pee like a race horse. I wonder what coffee made with their product would do to me. I'd probably have to hook up a catheter.  

I generally like Barbara, but I cringe when she starts ogling the men. It might have been amusing the first time, but now it just seems a little sad. Never mind that it constitutes sexual harassment. Is she trying to be playful, or is she trying to show us that she still has a strong sex drive, and, therefore, she is still young and vibrant? 

I didn't think it was that bad here. Three shirtless, musclebound guys came on specifically to be eye candy. Her reaction didn't bother me. (In stark contrast to last week, where she groped an entrepreneur.)  Nor would I be offended if male sharks were verbally appreciative of female models in bikinis. (Something that has repeatedly happened on Dragons Den versions.)  There's something to be said for Shark Tank being above that, but the show would have to change a number of things if they want to be "boardroom pitch to investors" and not "fun commercial to the customers". 

• Love 3

My son is an elementary school teacher, and he says that the fidget things should be bought by every school district.  Every classroom has attention -challenged kids, (or just fidgety ones)  and these things are small and discreet (unlike the fidget spinners).    I know lots of people with nervous habits, and I think they could really benefit from this.  So, I wish the guy the best.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Amarsir said:

Barbara's deal to the fidget guy was pretty bad. He was making $175k free cash flow, even with an aggressive ad campaign. She valued the company at $250k. If they either grow as could be reasonably suspected, OR realize it's peaked and stop advertising, she'll have her money back within a year. I tend to think 3 is reasonable for Shark investors, and that's still a premium of 5 year payback for a non-Shark.

Even Robert's 15% wasn't great. But the guy turned that down, so I guess he believed Barbara's pitch about being the ADD-whisperer or whatever.

Historically, Barbara is the better bet to partner with. Forbes once did an analysis, and found that Barbara, Mark, and Lori are your best bets for a deal that will go through past the show itself. Robert is one of the worst for actually closing the deals. Also, I'd go with Barbara if those were my two choices as well, because Barbara as a parent has more experience than Robert as a guy who fidgets. And finally, I've met both Barbara and Mr Wonderful-I would do a deal in a heartbeat with Barbara Corcoran if I had a business. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

It was cute how Barbara cited her child graduating from an Ivy as evidence of how great she is with Mr. Fidget's target market. Calm down, Babs, you do know the application asks for your parents' names, right?

Not to mention the fact that Barbara foots the whole tuition bill, doesn't need a dime in financial aid. Just that, in and of itself, puts that kid at an advantage at the Admissions Office. 

• Love 1
On 10/9/2017 at 1:59 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

The dedication was for Iaian Anderson  who worked as an accountant for Shark Tank.  Here's the article.  Very sad.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/10/iain-anderson-shark-tank/

• Love 2