Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: The Gema Dilemma

18 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

Do I believe what Gemma said about Zoila telling her not to listen to what Gage says and that Gage isn't really Monroe's father? Absolutely. Zoila used to be so nasty to Gage. It seemed like they reached a detante, but I think Zoila just decided she needed to make nice, but then stab Gage in the back whenever she could. I think she would love to undermine Jeff's relationship with Gage. Zoila needs to go. She's just toxic.

I've always liked Gage & have found Zoila to be pretty shady and resentful.  I think she likely saw Gage & Jeff fighting and would've loved for them to split.  Damn though, to claim that Gage wasn't the father is pretty low.  I think the house manager knows darn well that Zoila was up to no good and probably held back a bit when asked for her opinion.

• Love 20
32 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

Zoila needs to go. She's just toxic.

I agree.  I have never understood her contribution.  I think now she's just stirring the pot for her own amusement.  

10 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

I think the house manager knows darn well that Zoila was up to no good and probably held back a bit when asked for her opinion.

She pretty much told them what was going on, but without actually giving them useful information.  If Soiler is sabotaging Gage, Jeff and Gage need to know it.  None of that mealy-mouthed shit.  "There may be some truth in this," my ass.  It's either true or it isn't.  (I think it is.)  

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

I agree.  I have never understood her contribution.  I think now she's just stirring the pot for her own amusement.  

Nothing like messing with the caregiver of a colicky baby just for ha-has.  

• Love 12

I've always hated Zoila.  Totally believe everything Gema accused her of.  Next week she'll be back to manipulating Jeff and trying to make him believe  everyone's picking on her. She uses Jeff's love for her like a weapon against everyone else.  Jenny is the only one she's ever gotten along with.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 13

Cat has absolutely gorgeous eyes. I wonder if she will ever say more than one word an episode. 

I loves that Jeanne made the comment that he can't buy a house without a ton of stairs. When they started talking about having a family at Gramercy I kept imagining how annoying it would be to have to go up and down all of those stairs with a baby and all of their crap just to leave the house.

Where did Gema's love for Gage go? I can totally believe her story about Zoila but she was also complely unprofessional last week.

Gaze! 

• Love 4

I'm not sure I believe Gemma 100% when it comes to the Zoila accusations. I'm not saying SOME of it is true, but I don't know that all the claims are true. I'll wait and see how it plays out. The reason I say this is because Gemma seems a bit shifty herself.

I think the nanny problem they've been having is a combination of MANY things. For one, I think Monroe is just a super difficult baby. She's got colic. My daughter didn't have colic, but she is on the spectrum and has been high maintenance from day one. She cried and cried and cried as a baby. Oh it was rough. Sounds, certain materials, people other than me....everything set her off. So I think it would be hard for ANY parents to find a nanny who can handle that. 

But, on top of that, I think she likely felt too micromanaged. Gage seems to have a SUPER hard time easing off and letting the nannies do their job. I get the point of a nanny cam, but it's like he's watching that thing constantly and jumping in there at every little thing. We've seen from his texts that he can be overbearing and nasty himself. He looks nicer in comparison to Jeff, but he isn't all peaches and cream. 

And I think Zoila is likely breathing down her neck as well. They can write it off as over-protective, and I'm not saying that's not part of it, but Zoila has a way of acting superior to the other staff and feeling like it's her place to tell them all what to do. So I can absolutely see her interfering with Gemma's job. But outright sabotaging things between her and Gage? I don't know. 

Because, the 4th problem here is Gemma herself. As I said, she is shifty. To start, there was her inappropriate comments about Gage in the beginning. Which, yes I know - that whole fucking office is a pile of inappropriateness. But something about working with the BABY and then sexually harassing her father really struck me as skeevy. And then there's her weird story about the baby causing her to pull a back muscle. I was instantly on alert when Jeff relayed that tidbit. I wondered if she was going to try and go for some worker's comp deal. And, of course, covering/blocking the camera. Not okay. 

So I don't know that I fully trust her word. I think she may be looking to pass the blame. But I do know that ALL of these people need to chill the fuck out. Oddly, in THIS situation, Jeff is probably the most chill out of all of them. But they need to hire a nanny who has experience with difficult babies, and then leave her to do her damn job. Gage absolutely needs to get out of the house more. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Because, the 4th problem here is Gemma herself. As I said, she is shifty. To start, there was her inappropriate comments about Gage in the beginning

That was creepy and highly inappropriate, to the point of being harrassment.  In addition to which she was obviously humping the wrong tree, as it were.  

As you say, Zoila no doubt has a part in this, but that doesn't excuse Hymen's bad behavior.  There just doesnt seem to be any healthy communication from anyone in this household.  Hell of a place to bring a baby.  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

That was creepy and highly inappropriate, to the point of being harrassment.  In addition to which she was obviously humping the wrong tree, as it were.

I think that's what bothered me even more. There are some people that seem to think it's okay to "flirt" (harass) with someone if they're straight and that someone is gay....or vice versa. Like - oh, I can talk about how hot Gage is all the time because he's gay, so we all know it won't happen. Um no. My sister had a best friend in high school who was gay and thought it was "funny" to constantly comment on her body, especially her large breasts. When he began thinking it was appropriate to start touching them all the time, things soured and the friendship ended. I know there are some people for whom this IS okay, but Gage was clearly uncomfortable and she just kept at it. And right in front of Jeff too! Gay or straight, it was not okay. 

• Love 3

This episode reminds me of that saying, "If you think everyone else is an asshole, you're probably the asshole." If ALL the nannies suck, something else must be going on. Either Gage and Jeff have totally unrealistic expectations or bad "pickers" or Zoila is stirring shit up or something.

Ugh, did not like Jeanne Shaw at all. I would be exhausted after a couple of hours of dealing with her over-the-top personality.

4 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 2

So Jeff has a nanny and a night nurse? Must be nice. Is Jeff hands on at all? Gage is so obsessed with the baby, it's becoming a bit creepy the way he is on his phone 24/7 watching every move any nanny is making. They will never find a nanny that will stay. I'm beginning to think there is something weird about Gage. Having said that, Zoila is a nasty bitch, always has been, always will be. Why can't Jeff see it?

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Gage was clearly uncomfortable and she just kept at it. And right in front of Jeff too! Gay or straight, it was not okay. 

And I kept waiting for him to take her aside and tell her to stop.  At what point does anyone on this show stand up for themselves in a healthy way???

The sexual innuendo is not okay in itself, but it becomes hostile when aimed at a person who is clearly not available, like a married person, a child, a nun or a priest, or someone with a different sexual orientation.  I would have fired Hymen the first time, on the spot.  

44 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

Ugh, did not like Jeanne Shaw at all. I would be exhausted after a couple of hours of dealing with her over-the-top personality.

I doubt she is like that off camera.  I felt she was trying to out-Jeff Jeff.  

37 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Gage was clearly uncomfortable and she just kept at it. And right in front of Jeff too! Gay or straight, it was not okay. 

So much of the time Jeff thinks it is hilarious and sort of eggs them on. I thought he did this before between Zoila and Gage several seasons ago and the last episode with the nanny and Gage.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

So much of the time Jeff thinks it is hilarious and sort of eggs them on. I thought he did this before between Zoila and Gage several seasons ago and the last episode with the nanny and Gage.

Yes.  This is one of the many red flags for me in regard to Jeff.  He is amused and stimulated by the discomfort of others.  Not right at all.  

• Love 8

Jeff was inappropriate with the nanny they called to possibly replace Gema.

I wonder if the whole thing was just a set up for the show and that Gema was a willing participant. Was that email even from her? These people all agree to be on camera and are compensated. Gema works as a nanny? Well this show isn't going to get her any new jobs, so I wonder if she was just playing a part? She seemed to genuinely enjoy being around Monroe in earlier episodes. I think it could all have been a set up for another dramatic confrontation between Jeff and Zoila.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, iwasish said:

I think it could all have been a set up for another dramatic confrontation between Jeff and Zoila.

You may be right, and I'm getting fed up with this show.  I'd really like to see some freaking home design, you know? And I'm tired of all the adolescent sick mind games, largely perpetrated by Jeff.  He thinks he is a lot cooler than he is.  

• Love 4

Here's the thing, and this is coming from a mom who worked full time and used childcare until my kids were old enough not to need it. IMO, Gage and Jeff are trying to outsource taking care of their child the way they sub out jobs. They hired a gaggle of help and shockingly, no one has met their expectations. But it's even worse than their constant displeasure with their subcontractors because it;s their kid, not a kitchen remodel. Welcome to the real world guys. They are hired help, not substitute parents.  Does anyone find it surprising that there has been a constant revolving door of nannies and nurses? Not me. 

Gage is clearly bonded with the baby. Why not back off work for a short period of time and hire a replacement at work? Then Gage can parent more hours. I also know that nanny cams are useful, but I am a bit disconcerted that they seem to use the cameras to monitor the nannies as much, if not more than the baby. If I was a Nanny, that would weird me out. Maybe Gemma is horrible, IDK, I just think they expect much more than they should. JMHO. 

• Love 14

I was gratified to see some actual house-flipping content for a change. Clearly they are thinking about bringing Jeanne Shaw on as another sassy foul-mouthed character who happens to know a lot about contracting.

I wonder if Gema pursued the job solely for the purposes of being on TV, and benefiting economically in a way she would not as a nanny who is not on TV. I thought the Gage-flirting was scripted.

Gage and Jeff are trying to outsource taking care of their child the way they sub out jobs. They hired a gaggle of help and shockingly, no one has met their expectations.

Agreed. Gage and Jeff are used to imperiously ordering everyone around, and Jeff quits when he doesn't get his way in business relationships. Plus, they are fussy and fastidious. These behaviors haven't really mattered in the past, but now they have to learn how to stop micromanaging and also how to really get along with someone who holds a position of power (a nanny). And why is everyone mincing words about what's going on? There's a baby involved, for God's sake.

• Love 5

Wow, I'm underwhelmed with the Hollywood Hills. Narrow, beat up streets, cars parked everywhere, houses on top of each other, those awful stairs. All I can think of why it's desirable at all is that the views of the city lights after dark must be incredible. If I were going to spend millions on a home, it would definitely not be there. I wonder why Jeff loves it? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Wow, I'm underwhelmed with the Hollywood Hills. Narrow, beat up streets, cars parked everywhere, houses on top of each other, those awful stairs. All I can think of why it's desirable at all is that the views of the city lights after dark must be incredible. If I were going to spend millions on a home, it would definitely not be there. I wonder why Jeff loves it? 

I'm with you.  I was appalled by that tour.  Add earthquakes and slides, and no way.  

• Love 3

I love Jeff’s designs and it’s why I watch. But I’m very perplexed why either him or Gage wanted a baby only to outsource their care 24/7. It’s not like they are the working poor and both have to work to pay the bills. They can clear.y afford to have Gage take a step back and actually raise their baby. That poor kid can’t possibly be bonding with this revolving door of nannies. Zoila is a shit stirer and I fully believe she isn’t helping. The constant childish antics of grabbing her stuff and threatening to move out all the time is the most manipulative thing I’ve seen in a long time. 

Jeff please flip houses, show us your fab designs, I beg of you!

• Love 10
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

On top of that, Jeff couldn't seem to grasp the concept of investing in real estate anywhere but Los Angeles. Obviously it's a desirable area but it's hardly the only one. He doesn't seem to appreciate the other cities they've visited, which is so weird to me. I'd think someone who loves architecture and design would find things to like about most places! LA may be really nice but Nashville has a few advantages over it. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

On top of that, Jeff couldn't seem to grasp the concept of investing in real estate anywhere but Los Angeles. Obviously it's a desirable area but it's hardly the only one.

He needs properties close to his home turf so he can do the renovations.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sprockets said:

He needs properties close to his home turf so he can do the renovations.  

He was yelling at Jeanne for buying there, saying it was financially a bad idea, but it's not! He's basically a provincial townie, just in a big town. 

Zoila is one of my LEAST favorite characters on tv. I actually stopped watching once, due to her.  WHY is she there?  I don't see how she adds anything.  Just annoying, imo.  Why not just let her retire.  She's already out of the house for most of the week, right?  So, be done with her.  When Jeff first started talk about having a baby, I said, Don't trust Zoila. 

Granted, the nanny should not have blocked the camera and of course, you have to honor the instructions of the parents, (They are paying you.) but, all of that obsession of constantly looking at the monitor is just ridiculous.  I'm sure there are cameras in the  nursery that they can watch anytime to confirm there's no mistreatment of the baby, so the constant texting and watching, like they do is bizarre.  It makes me feel that they may need professional help with this.  It's like an OCD.   They are going to get on Monroe's nerves with all that obsession.  

I do think that Jeff is capable of good work, but, I wish he'd get a little more creative.  IT's like he has a set thing and he calls it in.  I'm bored with it.  

Jeff was trying to help with preparing his dad's place for sale, but, what a cluster that was.  This HAS to be scripted.  No man in his right man would tolerate that kind of incompetence and just stand there.  IT's beyond ridiculous. Any barely competent handyman could have made those simple corrections in a couple of hours. HEY, I think that I could have even done it! lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

If Gage was to snap his fingers and point at me the way he said he did with Gema, I would be out the door. Then he wonders why she cried. That was probably one of the many degrading things he does to the nannies. I'm not loving Gage anymore. He's not king of the fucking world because he has a baby now. What a jerk. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

If Gage was to snap his fingers and point at me the way he said he did with Gema, I would be out the door. Then he wonders why she cried. That was probably one of the many degrading things he does to the nannies. I'm not loving Gage anymore. He's not king of the fucking world because he has a baby now. What a jerk. 

If it happened as he described it, it sounds a bit brusque but not out of line.  He was on the phone and couldn't talk to her.  The baby was crying, which is her job to deal with.  She was an employee, not a princess.  

• Love 6

Not being able to keep employees is nothing new for the Jeff/Gage household/business.  There is a problem there.  Monroe may be difficult, but, I don't think she is the reason they can't keep a nanny. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

On top of that, Jeff couldn't seem to grasp the concept of investing in real estate anywhere but Los Angeles. Obviously it's a desirable area but it's hardly the only one. He doesn't seem to appreciate the other cities they've visited, which is so weird to me. I'd think someone who loves architecture and design would find things to like about most places! LA may be really nice but Nashville has a few advantages over it. 

Also, the Nashville market is BOOMING right now.  We just sold our old condo (it has been an investment property for us for a few years and we lived it in prior to that) that was located in downtown Nashville (the especially booming area).  We had 3 offers on the first day.  We got double what we paid for it when we bought it and got an all cash, no contingencies offer.  So yeah, you can make money on your real estate in Nashville. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

No wonder the nannies have all quit.  Maybe they can put a camera on Gage and the nanny can watch and make sure he is working.  

Most people I know have nanny cams.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I tend to think Gage can be just as nasty as Jeff, just a different kind of nasty. Jeff is loud and obvious. Gage is more passive aggressive and subtle. But this is the second time we've seen that Gage constantly texts someone and basically harasses them. First with the surrogate, now with the nanny.  I, honestly, think I'd rather deal with Jeff than Gage. 

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Most people I know have nanny cams.

But do they watch them obsessively?

• Love 4

This felt like it was set up for the show---if I recall from last season, Zoila only is at their house a few days a week--when she and Jeff and Gage were not getting along, the outcome was that she live at her daughter's most of the time and she was to semi-retire and be at their house--I think maybe 2 days/nights a week.    That's why he has the other 2 house people--and Zoila has kind of the honorary title.    I can believe Zoila regards herself as kind of the grandma---Jeff has told her that she would be involved if he had a kid--and maybe she does mess with the nannies, but if she is only there a couple days, I have a feeling there are other issues as well or that Gema was part of the cast of the show as opposed to part of their real household.

I loved seeing Jeannie again--I like when Jeff has someone who will give it back to him---his employees really can't and I think he gets a kick out of people like Jeannie or Lea who will give back some of what he gives out.    Jeff knows he's a character and as annoying as he can be sometimes, he has a sense of humor.    I also get a kick out of Jeff's helping his dad.     It's kind of interesting to see where Jeff probably started out.

• Love 5

I was a working mom, with my kids in daycare from a young age. I think this concept of watching every move the caretaker makes on a monitor is nuts. It is just guaranteed to drive any parent (and particularly a first time parent) insane. I got a short note at the end of each day, and had to be satisfied with that. Plus trust the caretaker!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

But do they watch them obsessively?

Editing makes me question how obsessive it ism I don't think they showed him doing it at all when they were in Florida but they are also first time parents with a difficulty baby, had difficulty with nannies and we're starting having issues with Gemma responsiveness to Monroe by this time.

• Love 4

I used to nanny when I was in college and often if there was not a nanny cam they would have video baby monitors that they could access with the base or with phones/tablets. It is hard to tell with editing with how frequently they are checking the cameras. I would imagine if someone was purposely putting stuff in front of it they might check it more often. I think with the nanny cam being so accessible to view from their phones it makes it easier for them to check. I used to take the babies (and kids) for walks/playgrounds/parks and even run errands with them. I did not have any real difficult babies though. I wonder if Gema or any of the other nannies were allowed to take Monroe out. I think some of the problem is that Jeff and the rest work from home. Can the nanny take Monroe out into the common areas? I would go nuts if I was a nanny and had to basically stay in one room of the house for a majority of the time. Though if Monroe is that difficult maybe Gema and the previous nannies do not want to take her out.

I would not be surprised if what Gema said about Zoila was true. The house assistant (I forgot her name) seemed to think that was the case as well. Didn't Zoila have some issues with the housekeeper that Jeff hired a season or so ago? 

• Love 4

Good point about getting out. The highlight (so to speak) of my day with my troublesome DD was driving to town, strapping her on my chest, and then doing 3 or 4 different errands all in walking distance. She quieted during those walks and I got OUT OF THE HOUSE!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Maybe Gema wasn't moving things in front of the camera but, Zoila was. I can see her do that to cause trouble. Especially since they were bragging on Gema at first.  

Now THAT I could see. But....didn't Gage literally watch Gema do it once? But maybe it was an accident, and Zoila ran with it?

• Love 1

Good point about getting out. The highlight (so to speak) of my day with my troublesome DD was driving to town, strapping her on my chest, and then doing 3 or 4 different errands all in walking distance. She quieted during those walks and I got OUT OF THE HOUSE!

No place to walk.  She could walk on the side of a winding, busy road with the baby.  But I think that would be bad idea.  This is LA.  They don't have sidewalks in many neighborhoods.  People don't walk. They get in a car and drive to the workout studio and then they pretend ride a bike.  Or they drive to a hiking trail and hike up and down. Or they drive to the beached walk down the beach.  And if they live in Venice they can actually walk down the sidewalk.  But they don't walk on the street.  Ever.  

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

No place to walk.  She could walk on the side of a winding, busy road with the baby.  But I think that would be bad idea.  This is LA.  They don't have sidewalks in many neighborhoods.  People don't walk. They get in a car and drive to the workout studio and then they pretend ride a bike.  Or they drive to a hiking trail and hike up and down. Or they drive to the beached walk down the beach.  And if they live in Venice they can actually walk down the sidewalk.  But they don't walk on the street.  Ever.  

I remember Kelly Ripa talking about that. Since she lives in NYC she walks everywhere she says.  And when she was in LA she tried walking places and people kept stopping to ask if she needed a ride. Of course this could be a made up story, but, sounds right!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, QuinnM said:

But I think that would be bad idea.  This is LA.

We saw Gage and Jeff walk with Monroe and the dogs in their neighborhood. Can they walk to a coffee shop and hang probably not but you can walk on those streets because cars have to travel slowly on the smaller streets like they live on.

• Love 5

Gema or the other nannies could drive somewhere like a park, hiking trail, or other places. Of course, this is if she is allowed to. Yes, she would need a car seat in her car for Monroe, but I always had one provided by the parents in my car or they let me use their cars when I did the nanny thing. I just wondered if the nannies are cooped up in Monroe's room for a majority of the day.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I just wondered if the nannies are cooped up in Monroe's room for a majority of the day.

If so, that would be hell on earth for both nanny and baby. 

• Love 6
On 10/6/2017 at 7:35 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Not being able to keep employees is nothing new for the Jeff/Gage household/business.  There is a problem there.  Monroe may be difficult, but, I don't think she is the reason they can't keep a nanny. 

I worry about the baby.  How many nannies has the poor little baby started to bond with and then BAM nanny is gone and a stranger is in her place.  That could really screw with an already difficult baby.

• Love 7