Type keyword(s) to search

Lost - General Discussion

• Start Topic

At the end, Kate and Sawyer were different people, coz, they had evolved and matured on their own. Sawyer isn't shy of commitments or responsibilities anymore, and Kate learns to stay. It's better this way, coz, now, these two can have a good second chance at each other. All that connection, chemistry and history between them were there for a reason. Kate and Sawyer are the only couple from the quadrangle to have their own theme music.

I don't hate Juliet and Sawyer, or Jack and Kate. They probably loved each other in their own way. But they had their run.

And in the case of Jack and Kate, it just didn't work between them. Jack admits he "had her and lost her". Juliet admits that she and Sawyer "aren't meant to be".

However, even in their three years of absence, I can't think of a couple better suited to each other than Kate and Sawyer.

I forgot about them when I said in another thread I only liked one couple on the show, but I did like Charlotte and Daniel's little romance as well, particularly since it played second fiddle to both of their stories and reasons for being on the island. An it helped that Charlotte was a strong, no-nonsense woman while Daniel was an odd, more damaged individual. Their relationship didn't feel "done". And they felt like friends just as much as they did a romantic couple. They could even have switched genders between the characters to incorporate a woman with grander story (though it would have been a shame not to have Rebecca Mader and Jeremy Davis, who were both excellent), but I bet that when they thought up Faraday they didn't even for a split second think about making the character a woman.

Claire was kind of always screwed because of "MAH BAYBAY" but I always liked her and longed for her the get a proper story, or any story apart from hanging with Charlie all the time. So I was very excited when he died (mostly because I couldn't stand him but because it meant something for Claire too). Obviously this meant getting rid of her for a season but I was still optimistic because they said she'd be back. And I enjoyed crazy Claire (even if De Ravin couldn't entirely pull it off) in the beginning but then nothing really came of it. Sigh.

"MAH BAYBAY"

That cracked me up.

Don't get me wrong. I really loved the characters of Jack and Juliet. And I also found the whole Jack&Kate and Sawyer&Juliet thing interesting...Bear with me.

In the end, Kate and Sawyer were different people, coz, they had evolved and matured on their own. Sawyer isn't shy of commitments or responsibilities anymore, and Kate learns to stay.

It's better this way, coz, now, they can have a good second chance at each other. All that connection, chemistry and history between them were there for a reason.

I don't hate Juiet and Sawyer, or Jack and Kate. They probably loved each other in their own way and they had their run.

However, even in their three years of absence, I can't think of a couple better suited to each other than Kate and Sawyer.

Heck, they even have their own music theme.

I am just a die hard Skate fan.

Now, what I'd like us to discuss, are the following:

1)Didn't Kate and Sawyer have the most chemistry in the show? (They even have their own love theme). How come no other couple had this much connection/chemistry? Does it have something to do with Kate, or Sawyer, or does it have to do with Josh and Evangeline?

2)Why wasn't there enough "hints" towards Kate and Sawyer in season 6, like there was in the other seasons?

3)Why didn't it work between Kate and Jack in their three years off the island together?

4)Why did Kate declare her love to Jack only when she understood she was never gonna see him again (The End)?

5)If Sawyer hadn't jumped in season 4, and all of them had made it back, then who would Kate have chosen- Jack or Sawyer?

6)If it had been Sawyer instead of Jack who was gonna die in the end, would Kate have made her teary love declaration the same way?

7)Since Jack and Kate didn't work, Juliet realised she and Sawyer weren't meant to be, Sawyer and Kate had excellent chemistry, and they both survive the island together in the end, does this mean Sawyer and Kate have a second chance at each other?

8)Despite the chemistry between Sawyer and Kate throughout the 6 seasons, and Juliet and Jack both admitting to "losing" Sawyer and Kate, and Jack and Juliet being married in Flash Sideways, why is it that Juliet and Sawyer awaken each other?

Does marriage not matter? Does the chemistry between Kate and Sawyer not matter at all?

9)Is Kate and Sawyer surviving together off the island, a "hint" they are gonna end up together?

10) In the episode "Recon" I guess, when Sawyer picks up Kate's old dress in the cage, is it another hint towards Kate-Sawyer?

11) Did Kate ever have feelings for Sawyer at all, or was the chemistry between her and Sawyer just a waste?

12) Can the season 6 finale be interpreted in any way so that Kate and Sawyer do end up together? Any hints in that direction?

13) Were there really any hints towards Kate and Sawyer, in the ENTIRE show? Was there really any chemistry, or connection between them at all? Or were it all just wishful thinking from the viewer's perspective?

14) Was there any residual feelings/feelings between Kate and Sawyer in season 6? Any feelings at all between them in the other seasons? If not, then why does Cassidy tell Kate that her heart was broken by Sawyer and only Aaron could fix it?

15) Kate and Sawye have a lot in common- shady past, outcasts, killed a man, regrets, etc. They have a connection, and some excellent chemistry. They also have Cassidy and Clementine in common, and in the end, even Claire and Aaron. Can it mean, in any way, that Sawyer and Kate will slowly find each other(like they always do), need each other and get together romantically, once the mourning period is over?

They may after all be involved in the raising of Clementine and Aaron. Claire needs help with Aaron and Sawyer needs help with Clementine, and Kate knows both the kids.

Coz, he was the most interesting character to watch in the show, in my humble opinion.

Even from his first scenes in Pilot, he had the best lines, clever comebacks and funny nicknames. Remember the polar bear scene?

"Probably bear village"

"If someone came, why is it still playing?"

"I know your type"

"I just shot a bear"

I really love the character, with or without Kate as love interest (and I really do believe they end up together in original timeline. Even if it takes time for the grieving process)

So, let's discuss him. His lines, his actions, everything.

The writers have said that they have deliberately left the four relationships of the quadrangle ambiguous, so as to satisfy all their fans and so they may interpret it in any way they want.

So, how do we interpret it, so that each of these four become the end game?

'Person of Interest' is one of those shows that I've never watched, but will probably watch later if TNT, A&E, USA or some channel like that picks up the show in syndication.  That's how I caught up on 'Bones' and 'Castle' before I started watching them 'live'.

It's funny that Sawyer became one of my favorite characters.  When I first saw him in the pilot, I thought he was just a good-looking snarky jerk.  He was a jerk sometimes (I hated the way he hoarded supplies), but he was never one-dimensional.  He could be a good guy, but he had also killed.   I liked the way we saw that he was totally unapologetic about liking to read and wore glasses even though they made him look dorky.  He could be defensive about things, but came through in the end. 

• Like 1

I don't think Sawyer was a bad guy at heart.. he was seen as the bad guy and he proved people right with the things he did. It seemed he more wanted attention or, in the case of Juliet, someone to care for him and help him be a better man.

I completely disagree re: Kate though, Kate and Sawyer would have made each other the worst versions of themselves where Juliet lifted Sawyer.

I'm not sure whether Jack lifted Kate, but I felt they deserved each other :P

Sawyer is one of my favourite characters and I love all the versions of him, especially as a cop in the flash sideways.

• Love 2

Emerson is fabulous on PI -- he is good on the outside, but there are peeks now and then inside of him that hint at something deeper.  Sort of how the sideways Ben was working on being good.  Both characters are clever beyond all others on the show. 

• Love 1

I never watched 'Lost' when it was first on (I missed the first couple of episodes, and then just never got around to playing catch up).  So, I basically just finished a marathon of all six seasons over a period of several weeks.  All in all, pretty great.  By watching this way, I didn't have to wait for days (or months) to see what happened next and could get past the occasional bad episode and quickly get to a good one (I even liked the finale, which I know some people didn't care for).  It had some flaws and some unanswered questions, but I thought it was very good.  The only problem with watching all episodes in such a short time is that I really got involved with all of the characters.  I'm going to miss them.  My favorites were Desmond, Hurley, Sawyer, Mr. Eko, Miles, Jin/Sun and Rose/Bernard, but I won't miss Jack or Kate.  I even got to like Ben at the end.  Also, I know that the Smoke Monster's role seemed to change from the beginning (from possible security system to one form of the MiB?), but I loved it.  It was creepy, especially the distant 'whoooing' you would hear in the distance and then that little clickety sound as it got closer.

This is exactly what we did. I would browse a few pages of the episode threads on TWOP after I watched it so it helped me feel what the others (no pun intended) may have felt after watching it live. It definitely allowed me a more forgiving eye because I didn't have to wait weeks or months between episodes.

The show actually stood the test of time since mine was a more recent watch and it actually is also quite compelling....not as storyline jagged as I may have suspected. Sure it looks like they kind of boxed themselves in there at the end and a few characters who seemed really important ended up being less important.

Overall I was very sad when we got to the end. I was braced for a terrible ending but thought it was actually quite good. But again, I didn't have all the hype and speculation and years into it either.

I wish it would have been more dharma centric or at least scientific with island intrigue there at the end....but going religious probably gave them much more room to leave things unexplained.

• Love 2

This is exactly what we did. I would browse a few pages of the episode threads on TWOP after I watched it so it helped me feel what the others (no pun intended) may have felt after watching it live. It definitely allowed me a more forgiving eye because I didn't have to wait weeks or months between episodes.

I've actually been reading the TWoP 'Lost' threads recently.  (They're all available on archive.org's Wayback Machine.)  It's fun to read them and be either amused or amazed at the speculation about plotlines and characters that watchers had as they were watching the episodes as they aired.  If any channel ever airs the show again, I would probably watch, even knowing what happens.  I would also be willing to buy the DVDs,--if they were cheap enough, that is (that's how I got all seasons of 'Fringe' in one swoop.  A couple of Christmases ago, they--along with some other TV shows--were all $9.99 per season at Wal-Mart.  I wish they would offer 'Warehouse 13' that way).

Edited by BooksRule

I wish it would have been more dharma centric or at least scientific with island intrigue there at the end....but going religious probably gave them much more room to leave things unexplained.

Me too! The Dharma season was my favourite, I wish there had been more of that.

As time goes on (in a presumably linear fashion!), I find my frustrations with the series have faded. I actually miss this show a lot sometimes. Rewatches of this show tend to overwhelm me because there are just so many episodes, so many storylines, so many characters, so many different opportunities to potentially let my annoyances with the show overshadow all that I really believe is wonderful about it :) When I pick a few random episodes at a time, though, I'm always so happily surprised all over again by how sublime this series could be! 

Some random opinions:

As I've said elsewhere, I actually prefer the final three seasons to the first three overall. Weirdly enough, S5 might have emerged as my very favorite. (Yeah, I know...I should be over on the 'unpopular opinions' thread instead) 

I agree with the majority that the Love Triangle from Hell was the weakest part of this series, but by S5 I was actually rooting for Jack/Kate. I actually loved Jack in general, despite/because of his admittedly major flaws, and I generally love Matthew Fox's depiction of the role. 

Ben is the freaking BEST. I adore this twisted, fascinating character so very much and think Michael Emerson is a genius. He's one major reason I prefer the later seasons to the ones that preceded it. 

Things that have improved for me with rewatch:

The character of Kate (and I'm weirdly fond of the actress who plays her!); the way the show handled time travel in general and S5 specifically (I had initially been kind of on it; not it might be my very favorite); the Jack/Sawyer frenemyship (there was more emphasis on the 'enemy' part, but still, it gave us some surprisingly great moments); Crazy Claire (sadly, an improvement on the original recipe version, IMO!), the freighter folks, the series' ending in general and the fact that i think they did actually answer more questions than the show is usually given credit for, all things Ben.  

Things that annoy me more with rewatch:

All things involving non-Crazy Claire, Charlie and Claire/Charlie; Sawyer/Kate scenes;  Locke at various points in the series (a very unpopular opinion, I realize!), pretty much everything having to do with the characters' past romantic relationships, with a special dishonorable mention to Sayid's endless fixation with Nadia; Desmond (I just find him kind of an overrated character and don't care about the Desmond/Penny connection nearly as much as most do); the repetitiveness of the Jin/Sun storylines, how much of the characters' angst and fulfillment always turned out to be rooted in lost or found romantic love.

One of the highlights of this week include a rewatching of The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham. I can never decide on my top 10 episodes, but that one definitely makes the cut :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

I agree with a lot of that. S5 I think is my favourite too. I was always intrigued by Dharma and I like time travel so what is not to love :) Plus it also had Sawyer/Juliet - Juliet being one of my favourite female characters.

I also disliked the claire/charlie stuff.. I was pretty relieved when Charlie died because that could stop :P

The only part I really disagree with is Desmond, The Constant being one of my favourite episodes and I just like the character... Poor Des, he went through so much.

• Love 2

I was never a big Sawyer fan, but after rewatching I think it's more that I just really disliked the Sawyer/Kate stuff for a variety of reasons. (No offense to the many who adored them, of course---it's just my own weird opinion!) I actually did like Sawyer around most other characters and think he showed a lot of growth over the course of the series without magically growing right out of the traits that made him Sawyer in the first place. Sawyer shaking Jack's hand and thanking him for everything at the end of S6 is one of my favorite small moments of the series. And this time around I grew to enjoy the Sawyer/Juliet stuff a lot more. Juliet was always kind of bland an generic to me (like most females on this show!) and hard to grasp, but this time around I liked her more. I kept in mind analyses I've read about her as a smart, introverted, somewhat insecure young woman (stemming in part from moving around all the time, unhappy parents, dominated by her controlling ex and then later manipulated and controlled by Ben and others, etc) whose quest is to seize back her strength and power---sometimes in ethically questionable ways, and, by the end, as a braver heroine who has let herself trust and love again. When I watched with that in the back of my head, I enjoyed her scenes so much more. 

Kate's quest is to learn not to 'run', I guess, and was she was touched and altered by her attachment to Aaron, but beyond that I'm curious about what others would describe as her primary personality traits, issues, goals etc. 

I also disliked the claire/charlie stuff.. I was pretty relieved when Charlie died because that could stop :P

Heh---the episode where Charlie died is, sadly, the only time I genuinely enjoyed his character! 

• Love 2

Interesting take on Juliet/Sawyer:

http://www.ew.com/article/2013/04/11/my-greatest-tv-couple-sawyer-juliet

My feelings about Losts's romances have changed a bit over time and given what we now know about how it all turned out. Please keep in mind that the following are just my own, often odd opinions, and I totally respect that many fans will disagree!

My general opinion is that I wish triangles/quadrangles had never existed on this show to begin with, as to me they nearly always succeed in making everyone involved less interesting and likable, but I know that with TV that's just too much to ask :)

I'm kind of a giant hypocrite, because normally I dislike 'opposites attract' couples and am always arguing that the couples I love best in fiction and in real life have clear commonality, compatibility and connection. Which would lead one to believe that I wanted the more seemingly similar Jack/Juliet and Sawyer/Kate to be endgame, but...no. :) This show was the exception to my usual rule! 

Kate/Jack---I didn't care about them much one way or the other until I saw how happy they seemed---granted, only for a very brief period of time!---in S4. By the end of S6, much to my own surprise, I really felt the chemistry and connection between them. As cliched and corny as I realize this sounds, I bought that they were meant to be together, no matter how much each sometimes drove me nuts along the way ;) It's so hard to explain or justify chemistry, and it's so subjective---I know many didn't see it between them, but I really did, even when I didn't especially want to!

The funny thing about the triangle---(aside form it stretching on a zillion years episodes too long, which---ugh, don't get me started!)---is that there was never much suspense for me: I was always moderately to highly confident that Jack/Kate were endgame, even way before I cared about them on any level. I think maybe it's that I watch too much TV: one of a few reasons I was pretty certain Jack/Kate would end up together is that she met and fell for him first...and, in TV land, the two who connect first almost always end up the endgame, Dawson's Creek aside! 

2. Kate/Sawyer---I totally get why many think they had a powerful chemistry and attraction, and I'll readily acknowledge that they had more in common and therefore 'got' each other, which is usually super important to me. The catch here is that I always kind of felt like the parts of each other Kate and Sawyer 'got' and brought out were the somewhat darker, more destructive facets of their natures. I kind of feel like a Kate/Sawyer pairing was about the people they used to be (impulsive, angry, reckless, etc.), while the Sawyer/Juliet and Kate/Jack pairings represented who they all wanted to be now---their 'better' selves. 

3. Juliet/Sawyer---It's only during this most recent rewatch that I kind of fell in love with these two. As alluded to above, they might not appear to have had much in common, but I felt like each brought out the other's better self, more so than any other pairing talked about here. Juliet, who had always been controlled (by Ben, her ex-husband, etc), found someone who didn't try to change her, allowing her to relax and trust and to speak her mind without having to resort to manipulation. (Jack, whose issue was a need to fix and control, would have been a poor match for her!) Sawyer, meanwhile, found someone who brought out the selfless, protective, generous sides of his nature. He was still Sawyer, but happier, a little gentler, able to channel his snarkiness and craftiness in a healthier direction. Like all LOST couples, they weren't allowed too much onscreen happiness, but I was surprisingly sold on what we saw. 

I do think the writers tried to have it both ways, suggesting (especially in the finale) that certain pairs were soulmates and destined to end up together no matter what while simultaneously trying to sell us on the admittedly interesting idea that we can be legitimately and just as happily (or not!) in love with any of a few different people depending on the timeline/context etc. 

• Love 1
Kate and Sawyer would have made each other the worst versions of themselves where Juliet lifted Sawyer.

Oh my god---I swear that I just wrote something eerily similar in the 'relationships' thread before seeing this post.Same wavelength :) 

I actually didn't like Sawyer when I first saw the show. I have an admitted bias against the 'bad boy' jerks whose awful behavior is merrily excused by fans and the other characters because said jerk is attractive, amusingly snarky, and sometimes deigns to act like a decent human being (especially towards the women he just happens to be attracted to!) (Meanwhile, the comparative decent guys who at least try to do the right thing tend to be raked over the coals mercilessly for every little misstep!)

After rewatching episodes from later seasons, though, I have to say that my opinion of Sawyer has dramatically improved. I love how they managed to show such growth and improvement in his character by the end of S4 and throughout S5 *without* magically erasing his flaws or rendering the original character unrecognizable. I love how his flaws could be channeled into strengths when in a different context and a happier person. 

And I kind of adore Sideways Sawyer as well---I would very very happily watch a spin-off with Sawyer and Miles as detectives :) 

• Love 1

lol, he was just so painful and I just couldn't make myself feel sorry for a has-been junkie who was feeling sorry for himself. He had everything he wanted and ruined it for himself.. I mean it was all LIAM'S FAULT! ugh, shut up Charlie.

Yeah, he was one of my least favourite characters and the only episode of his I liked was where he was trying to con that girl and then took a job. Mostly because I liked her and her family.

• Love 2

Charlie had some good moments very early on and then rapidly became the fast-forward trigger. His death always makes me think of the line from MacBeth: Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it. Both because it was his redemption and also because I was so happy to see him go.

I'm rewatching the series for the first time (I watch an episode per night so it's a long process! Right now I'm halfway through season 3.) The thing that surprised me the most was how little Ana Lucia bothered me this time around. When I first watched the show I hated her with a passion. This time around I actually felt a little sorry for her and then she was gone. She was just barely a blip on the radar in the Lost universe.  I don't remember why I disliked her so much.

But I have to agree with you guys, I hate Charlie. I didn't have a strong opinion on him first watch through (he was just kind of there, sometimes responsible for boring filler episodes but other than that forgettable.) The thing that I hate most about him is that he kind of just attached himself to Claire and it stuck. They were kind of cute together in the beginning, but then he started lecturing her about how to take care of her baby like he was the baby's dad (and Claire complained they were "playing house" but she never agreed to it.) She started wanting her space from him and then the drug thing and baby kidnapping happened and she didn't want him around at all. But no, her feelings about it didn't matter at all, and he just kept coming near her over and over. Ugh. Then it seems like the writers discarded her feelings completely in s3 and had her forget about everything  that happened s2. They have no chemistry together. Charlie is an annoying and somewhat possessive asshole. There was a moment in s3 where Desmond was trying to give Claire CPR and Charlie kept trying to interrupt and I just wanted to scream. 

• Love 4

I've tried with this.. I still have it open in a tab but it's is just so. long. I feel like it's a short story of him complaining about people complaining about the plot lines of Lost.. I don't know if I can finish it.

There was a moment in s3 where Desmond was trying to give Claire CPR and Charlie kept trying to interrupt and I just wanted to scream.

I rewatched season 3 this week and WORD. I just wanted someone to smack the shit out of him. I don't remember when he started to bug me (and when I really started to hate him) when the show first aired but on rewatches I hate him from the beginning. He was really lucky to get that great send off. I almost even warm to him.

Charlie (and Aaron) took away any agency Claire ever had. Thank god for Crazy Claire.

Season 4 and 5 are easily my favorites. Rewatching the earlier seasons is a bit of a slog for me because most of the characters backstories doesn't interest me anymore. Maybe on the whole, in theory, but actually watching them (especially Jack, Kate and Sawyer's three thousand flashbacks) is just a drag.

I love season 4 and 5s forward momentum, things happening, people actually getting shit done rather than asking each other non-questions and getting no good answers when they actually demand some valid information. But then I became more of a plot and mystery fan in the case of Lost more than a character exploration fan. This is also why I liked Kate, Jack and Sawyer a hell of a lot more in the latter seasons while mostly thinking they're awful in the first three.

• Love 2
I love season 4 and 5s forward momentum, things happening, people actually getting shit done

Combine that with my affection for most of the freighter folk, the fact that I enjoy characters like Sawyer FAR more after they've started evolving a bit than I did at the beginning, how sick I got of the flashbacks, my dislike for Charlie, etc., and they all add up to why I'm sitting with you at the small table for those who preferred the later seasons to the earlier ones :) At the moment, I think I'd rank the seasons as:

1. S5

2. S6 (I know, I know...I just love the sideways-verse, love watching these broken people become a little happier, think we DID get answers to a lot of questions, and still feel the finale is the most powerful, emotionally moving one I've ever seen)

3. S4

4. S3 (some really, REALLY low lows, but the last handful of S3 episodes are some of the best of the entire series, IMO!)

5. S1

6. S2 (S1 and S2 don't hold up well at all with repeated rewatch for me. Many of my favorite characters haven't arrived yet, and in retrospect it all just feels so frustratingly directionless and all over the place. S1 earns the higher spot for me primarily because of my enduring love for the pilot.)  

• Love 1

I pretty much wholly agree with your post and that ranking, amensisterfriend, except season 6 is at the bottom*

I loved the freighter folk. Such good fresh blood. Except season 4 Miles is a little bit too much of an asshole for my taste. Charlotte had good snark without tipping over to asshole territory, I thought. Miles, not so much. But he's much better later on. And he never rose to Dogen heights of assholery.

Season 5 is so great because it jumps between so many places and so many periods that it never gets boring. The time travel, the present off the island, the 70's, the present on the island. And people got separated so we got to see different pairings, like Sun and Alpert spend time together.

*I don't really mind the answers and non-answers we got. It's just that it doesn't feel like most of the characters really do much of anything for the better part of the season. After the temple they just wander around and wander and talk and wander and argue and good god can something exciting please happen? Give Claire and Sun and Frank and Miles and Kate something to do! It's such a shame too that they had to endure those insufferable people at the temple because at least some stuff happens there. Add my complete disinterest in the sideways and you've got a season that just bothers me, especially coming after the awesome season 5.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 2

I didn't mind season 2, it was the hatch time, the raft "wwwaaaaaaaaalllllllllttttttt", one of my favourite episodes is 'The other 48 days' although I'm still not sure I like Ana Lucia. I especially don't like her character episodes, Mr Eko is introduced, Ben/Henry Gale..

ok I might stop there :P I obviously didn't mind season 2.

I haven't rewatched a lot though, I will say that I think the pilot is the best pilot episode ever.

• Love 1

I liked season 2 as well.  Although I binge watched it so that might make a difference.  I started watching Lost after season 4 and binge watched all 4 seasons in about 2 weeks time.  Yes, I did it that fast with a full time job and being on the board of a charitable organization and keeping up with social activities.   Let's just say I got hooked.  ;-P  Anyway, I can see how some seasons or mini-arcs would get tiresome having to wait through breaks or even just a week.  I then watched season 5 and 6 "real time".  I still don't know why I didn't wait for it to all be over before watching at all.

Ana Lucia did bug me, but I overall liked the introduction of the "tailies".  I liked Mr Eko too and wished he could have stayed longer.   And yeah, Ben/Henry...  

I did similar A1. I remember initially I started on season 1, episode 2 when it first aired and was like "well this makes no sense" and didn't keep watching.. I'm sure things make more sense when you don't start half way through a pilot :P

I then went back and watched the first 3 seasons on dvd and started watching week to week after that. It's funny how people say Lost is too slow, but then if you miss one episode you don't know what is going on, especially with the flashback component.

I have only finished season 6 twice, because I didn't want it to end so I usually stop at the second last episode of season 6 :P Yup, I'm a weirdo.

• Love 1

Sawyer is a good character to watch, but I didn't think much of him in the first two and a half seasons honestly. He's the type of person who would have driven me crazy if I had actually been on the island with him and I had to listen to him whine about people taking "his stuff" over and over. His character growth thankfully saved him from being a flat bad-boy type character and he dramatically improved later on. 

Edited by Dilandau
  • Love 4

I'm just posting from the website http://sawyerandkate.tumblr.com/quotes  coz, it'll save the trouble of opening a new tab.

DVD commentary, etc.

Damon Lindelof, writer/producer: Cool ideas, and it’s a pity that they’re never going to be part of the show, because our mothers wouldn’t care. At the risk of making this a running gag - but my mother will ask: Alvar who? I want to know when Kate and Sawyer are finally going to kiss! (Season 1)

Kate looks at Sawyer - and the plainness of her question makes it clear that she DOES care what he says and does:
KATE: Are you going? (“House of the Rising Sun” script, Season 1)

Damon Lindelof: Notice the sexual tension here as Kate holds the bottle rocket in her hand as she speaks to Sawyer. Don’t think that’s unintentional.
Dominic Monaghan, actor (Charlie): I think it’s going to go off in her hand if she’s not careful. Fire right in her face. Both barrels. Bang. They have a nice chemistry.
Lindelof: They do. (“The Moth” DVD commentary, Season 1)

Damon Lindelof: All I’ll say is that Confidence Man sports the first kiss ever on LOST — and boy, it does NOT disappoint. (Season 1)

Damon Lindelof: Yeah, she kissed Sawyer.
Carlton Cuse, writer/producer: And although she was compelled to kiss him it was not like she didn’t enjoy it when she did it.
Lindelof: Yeah, she sure looked like she enjoyed it!!!
Cuse: Yeah! (Season 1)

SAWYER: Happy to tell you… Soon as I get that kiss.
KATE: What? — Are you serious?
SAWYER: Baby, I’m tied to tree in the Jungle of Mystery and I just got tortured by a damn spinal surgeon and a genuine I-raqi. `Course I’m serious…
ON KATE. Yeah… But dammit if he doesn’t make a compelling argument. And dammit if there isn’t a strong contingent of women out there watching this show who WANT her to do it.
And we can see the moment in which she makes up her mind.
KATE: Okay.
SAWYER: Okay.
And here is the first kiss on LOST.
What makes it interesting is that even though it starts out as a chore — a necessity — somewhere about three or four seconds in, it becomes something ELSE. And just before it actually goes from something else to REAL…
Kate pulls away.
And we milk this delicious moment afterward for all it’sfear worth. And despite the insanity of the circumstances under which it happened, both of them felt something. Finally —
and when Sawyer talks to her now, it’s softer — that kiss did something to him — some of his swagger is gone — he’s just a man now… (“Confidence Man” script, Season 1)

KATE: You were a kid in 1976. Eight, maybe nine years old.
SAWYER: — Kate…
KATE: This letter wasn’t written to you. You wrote this letter.
Sawyer’s eyes DROP — holding them in a real TIGHT TWO-SHOT — the pure INTIMACY of the moment impossible to avoid —
KATE: Sawyer isn’t your name, is it?
And a LONG beat passes before —
SAWYER: (quietly) …It was his name.
CAMERA STARTING TO PUSH IN on him now as he tells this story. A story he has probably never told out loud —
SAWYER: … How you like that for tragedy. Became the man I was hunting. Became Sawyer.
And finally, he’s done. LOOKS to Kate —
And she is empathetic. Vulnerable. Something about this guy is so wounded, so HURT she can identify with it. It is an intense moment because it is so TRUE…
SAWYER: Don’t you feel sorry for me. (“Confidence Man” script, Season 1)

Kate settles down next to the fire, Sawyer on the opposite side. Two outlaws, camped out under the stars. Hell, if we didn’t know any better? We’d think this was downright romantic…
Now it’s his turn to look at her. And dammit if Sawyer ain’t charmed…
SAWYER: (declares) I have never kissed a man. (a beat) Now you drink. (another beat) `Cause you’ve kissed a man.
Subtext — That man being him… (“Outlaws” script, Season 1)

Kate takes this in then walks after him, drawn toward this complicated, troubled soul. Because she is one herself. (“Outlaws” script, Season 1)

J.J. Abrams, producer: I loved the dynamic between Sawyer and Kate. It proved to me that two people talking in the jungle could be as compelling as running from a monster. (Season 1)

Matt “Raggs” Ragghianti, writer: People honestly care whether Kate and Sawyer get together? Really? I hadn’t heard. Oh, except for the time my own mother called me during the middle of “THE OTHER 48 DAYS” and told me, “If you kill Sawyer before he gets together with Kate I will come down to your house and spank you like you were 4 years old.” But other than that… Stay tuned, we know you all are dying to find out what happens. Trust me. (Season 2)

Javier Grillo-Marxuach, writer/producer (asked if Sawyer and Kate were over): It’s over. Just like Ross and Rachel were over. And Dave and Maddie were over. And Han and Leia were over. And Rick and Ilsa were over. And Antony and Cleopatra were over. (Season 2)

Q: How does Sawyer choose nicknames?
Damon Lindelof: That depends on whether or not he likes you. He is inclined to nickname you based on the way that you look… The only endearing name he has for anyone is Kate. (Season 2)

Damon Lindelof: They’ll be thinking a lot about each other. I think it would be a real cop out if the raft washed up back where it set off from, and it was real easy. And it’s romantic when people are separated. It’s like The English Patient or Sleepless in Seattle, right? Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan don’t get together till the last five minutes of the movie, so you know it’ll be worth it. Trust me. (Season 2)

Evangeline Lilly, actor (Kate): Now this scene was great in that there was - I think Paul you left a lot open, you left me with a lot of freedom to play, play with the scene and try out whatever I needed to do…
[sawyer waking up]
Paul Edwards, director: I love this scene… It’s sweet… Its sort of like you get it off your chest and that awakens him.
Lilly: Like I kiss the prince and he wakes up.
Edwards: Yeah exactly, you break through all the bullshit and you come clean and suddenly he’s resurrected. (“What Kate Did” DVD commentary, Season 2)

SAWYER: Hey, here’s an idea: Why not go to your buddy, Jack? He’s got himself a gun.
(snaps his fingers)
Oh, right — he’s still traipsing through the jungle with Kate.
ANA LUCIA: If you’ve got a problem ‘cause he’s making time with your girlfriend, don’t take it out on me, man.
Sawyer looks at her, his eyes cold — he can throw out wise ass remarks all day, but Ana just hit him where he LIVES. (“Two for the Road” script, Season 2)

Damon Lindelof: And concerning the relationship between these two people, I believe that Jack is attracted to Kate, but he knows deep down that she’ll never be what he needs, that she’ll never play the part, and that all things considered, she’s much more attracted to someone like Sawyer. (Season 3)

Damon Lindelof: I love, by the way, you know, she’s totally into Jack, but Sawyer’s powers do not work on Juliet.
Elizabeth Mitchell, actor (Juliet): Actually that’s really true isn’t it, and I wonder why that is, but it’s been that way from the very beginning. She’s kind of past the whole Sawyer thing. Like he’s so…
Lindelof: She is. He’s just not as interesting to her.
Mitchell: Yes, Jack is just far more interesting to her. Although she sees [sawyer] for what he is, she gets it, he’s just not her thing. (“A Tale Of Two Cities” DVD commentary, Season 3)

Damon Lindelof: This is a great moment.
Elizabeth Mitchell: It’s beautiful, they do the most beautiful work together. Oh. And he doesn’t know what happened, and she’s in a dress! Oh, his heart’s breaking!…
SAWYER: Nice dress.
KATE: They made me wear it.
Lindelof: He doesn’t like that.
Mitchell: Oh my God! No! Oh!
SAWYER: You hungry?
Lindelof: See, this is a perfect example of awesome acting, because we write the dialogue here, but all the great stuff is happening around the lines, you know, it’s all these looks they’re throwing at each other.
Mitchell: Yeah, they did it, they’ve really got an amazing thing. They are so much fun to watch.
Lindelof: I like that she covers her mouth there, it’s kind of like, you know, it’s this sort of demure moment in the midst of utter insanity. (“A Tale Of Two Cities” DVD commentary, Season 3)

Damon Lindelof: Yes or No. Does Kate (Cuse:Yes) love Sawyer?
Lindelof: Well there you go.
Cuse: I didn’t even have to hear the whole question, I knew it was a Yes.
Lindelof: Excellent. All right, those are my two quick questions.
Cuse: Awesome.
Lindelof: She said she did. (Season 3)

Carlton Cuse: I think that Kate is going to really be an interesting character this year because she is going to finally make a romantic choice and a commitment. This is a character who has been very afraid of commitment. I’m very excited to see the journey of that character this season. (Season 3)

Evangeline Lilly: The fact that she cared enough about this cowboy that drove her crazy to get back in that cage was incredibly significant. And I was sitting there reading and I was like “Yeah!” (“Every Man for Himself DVD commentary, Season 3)

Evangeline Lilly: I think one of the coolest things about this whole storyline that happened in the cages was that, um, I really adored… and I’ve been trying to work it out for awhile, because the cages were a really unique acting experience for me and what I realized after awhile, was that we, you know, Josh and I, were playing scenes that were more intimate than anything that we’d ever done on the show before, and yet we had to play them from a physical proximity that was so far away, so we were projecting intimacy across a yard, rather than…
Josh Holloway, actor (Sawyer): Yeah, that was interesting. We had to find a way to figure out that puzzle.
Lilly: Yeah. And I think that made it really intense, you know, as actors and hopefully on screen… because instead of the intimacy being played with a physical touch, or with, you know, physical intimacy, getting close to each other…. it all had to be in our voices, our eyes, you know, sending messages… (“I Do” DVD commentary, Season 3)

Carlton Cuse: I mean, thematically what we were trying to explore here was this notion of, you know, Kate’s ability to commit, and you know, we’ve established her as a character who likes to run, and it’s not just literally running as a fugitive, but also sort of running from difficult emotional situations… In the meantime, the parallel on the island is, she and, you know, you have Kate and Sawyer, who are these two characters who are obviously really, there’s this incredible thing happening between them, and yet both of them I think are afraid of, you know, this sort of intimacy and kind of connection, and they’re drawn to and also sort of afraid of the feelings that they have between each other at the same time.
Lilly: … And, you know, where she’s relatively free in the flashbacks to make it happen, she’s not in a cage, and she’s not being forced to do labor every day, it’s actually more difficult for her to stay in that house, and you know, cook breakfast, and be a little housewife, than it is for her to break rocks and work in a quarry and sleep in a cage. And there’s all these contrasts that happened that I just love, because I think the island represents who she truly is in her heart, and the flashback represents who she wishes she was. (“I Do” DVD commentary, Season 3)

Carlton Cuse: And it’s just so wonderful the way Sawyer kind of embodies these… he can be selfish and selfless, you know, moment to moment. And he has the potential to be so good in his heart, but then there’s this self-loathing that causes him to be self-destructive also, and those two things are sort of co-existing in this guy.
Josh Holloway: Yeah, and that is his.. the evolution of his character. Because those things don’t work anymore on this island. That’s what he’s being faced with throughout, is his own humanity, and he can’t… doesn’t know how to deal with that, so he’ll lash out in the only way he does know, and the way that he has learned to survive in society. But we’re not in society. [laughs] We’re on the island. So he’s faced with that constantly, which I love. Because he doesn’t know what to do with it, from moment to moment. (“I Do” DVD commentary, Season 3)

Carlton Cuse: This is such a big moment, obviously, in the show, for these characters to finally culminate their relationship…
Holloway: That was very important to us, as actors as well, and as characters. Because it had been so long, the payoff needed to be something special, so we talked before, Evi and I, and decided to really take our time, and really take moments in there and hope that that came across differently. And I feel like it did.
Cuse: It was great. I mean you think about it, you know, in a show, in a television show, to basically go fifty-five hours before these two characters who are in love with each other actually finally culminate and, you know, make love.
Evangeline Lilly: It’s beautiful.
Cuse: And I think it’s really amazing, and I think it was all the better for that. And I think just as a starting point to that relationship, and you know, really kind of deepening and existing on a different level, it was really a great scene… (“I Do” DVD commentary, Season 3)

Evangeline Lilly: I was actually surprised, and really pleased with the writing when I read that there was this sort of post-coital scene, because I felt like for it to be really clear that Kate and Sawyer didn’t just have a weak moment of lust where they gave in to their desires, but that they actually had realized, physically realized, something that was inside of them emotionally. I thought this scene provided that, and it proved that, and it supported what we were trying to show in, you know, the previous cage scene. It was really nice to read it and to feel like they were honoring that, they were honoring the emotion.
Carlton Cuse: Yeah, and just having Sawyer say ‘I love you too’ to Kate was such a huge moment for us on a writing level, because just that acknowledgement from him was such a hard thing for that character to get to that place.
Josh Holloway: Yeah, that was tricky, too, to play, because it so… can not be melodramatic, and it’s a fine line, how to bring that out…
Lilly: You know, again in contrast to the flashbacks, where she’s got this man who is doing the exact opposite. He’s, you know, really really heartfelt and intense and intimate about the way he will look her in the eye and say, ‘I love you Monica.’ And it’s just really sort of what you imagine the traditional idea of falling in love with someone being like. And then here on the island she’s got, you know, a guy who’s kind of throwing it out there flippantly while she’s not even looking at him, and it seems to mean so much more.
Cuse: Yeah. That’s cool. (“I Do” DVD commentary, Season 3)

Carlton Cuse: … And rain is really very metaphorically significant in our show. I mean, when rain shows up, bad things tend to happen.
Evangeline Lilly: Yeah.
Holloway: I remember this scene, and I was so tired at this point of being beaten down. I fought with Tucker, because I really felt like he needed to not just lay down and walk out of the cage and take it. So we made that scene more dramatic… the fight not to die more significant. And it came out of that emotion of constantly being in that, and being beaten down and not doing anything about it. So I really dig Tucker for having to put up with my emotion there and helping us find a way through it that made sense.
Lilly: Yeah. Well, I think Kate and Sawyer are both fighters. You know, neither of them…
Holloway: That was it. It just didn’t make sense that they would just lay down.
Lilly: Uh huh.
Holloway: So we had to really amp that a bit.
Lilly: And I think they also both for the first time, maybe in their lives, have something worth fighting for.
Holloway: Right.
Lilly: And that’s what kind of breaks my heart in this scene, is that I think Kate displays some of the girliest qualities you ever see her display, in this scene. She’s kind of weak and whimpery about the whole thing, but I… for me, where that came from was that ‘I just for the first time, maybe ever, finally connected to someone, and feel like I have something here, and something worth fighting for and worth living for, and now you’re gonna take it away.’ And I feel like Sawyer is, again, in the same situation, where this is the first time, maybe ever in his life, where he’s found someone who he can love. And now he’s about to be killed. (“I Do” DVD commentary, Season 3)

Chris Nelson, editor: Episode six, “I Do”, is my favorite. I was really happy with the prelude to the love scene. What you see now is exactly the way I put it together. I changed one thing where Damon saw a mismatch, but otherwise it was exactly the same. It was really difficult. There were two cameras, but they didn’t match the same way through the series of takes. I’ve discovered that the sexual tension that happens beforehand is where the power is - how long you keep them from touching or kissing. The prelude is where the hot part is. I was very fearful of it. The dailies didn’t feel like the finished product. It was faster and all the moments of them looking at each other weren’t there. A lot of times I will cut a scene and rough it out, but because of matching, I had to be happy with each cut. I had to work it really slowly but I was really happy with it. (Season 3)

Carlton Cuse: But let’s talk about Kate hooking up with Sawyer, just for a sec.
Damon Lindelof: Sure, I’d love to…
Cuse: Was this choice… definitive?
Lindelof: How much clearer could you be about her choice? I mean, who’s watching it and going, ‘I’m not sure that she picked Sawyer, I think maybe she went with Jack there.’ She’s had sex with him.
Cuse: And yet- And yet people actually do, you know, I think certain people maybe just don’t value the act of sex as being that important…
Lindelof: I will say that when you are curled up naked on someone’s chest… you’ve made your choice. (Season 3)

Gregg Nations, writer/producer: I watched that, too, and I came away thinking that they really did give the answer that Kate’s choice was Sawyer. It wasn’t just a sexual choice but an emotional choice, too. She did make a commitment, and it’s a difficult thing for her. (Season 3)

Sawyer going out on a ledge, telling her, in his own messed up way, that he was PROTECTING HER. and the heat is too strong. they’re too close together. the chemistry both of them have been fighting officially COMBUSTS and KATE KISSES SAWYER. Long and Hard. finally it ends…
AND Sawyer ? hell, HE KISSES HER RIGHT BACK, and it doesn’t end there as she STUMBLES INTO HIS CAGE.
Before we know it, Sawyer’s grabbing Kate’s tank top and pulling it over her head as she starts unbuttoning his shirt. they move further into Sawyer’s cage, oblivious to everything but THIS MOMENT…
SAWYER: So lemme ask you somethin’, Freckles… When Blockhead was beatin’ on me, and you said “I love you” that was just to get him to stop, right …?
[Kate freezes. She isn’t sure what she should say here. In truth she’s feeling everything for Sawyer but is afraid if she admits it, puts it out there, it will scare him off. And Sawyer? Before she can even respond—]
SAWYER: I love you, too.
[but even though he tosses it off like it’s not a big deal— it’s the most sincere thing he’s ever said in his entire life. Kate’s heart lifts. And for this one moment, in time, they are COMPLETELY CONNECTED.] (“I Do” script, Season 3)

Gregg Nations: When Damon said that Kate was drawn to Sawyer, I think he was referring to their emotional natures. They are very similar types of people and probably understand each other on a deeper level than even they would want to acknowledge. Of course both of them are very attractive people, but their attraction to each other is far deeper than that… I think of them as complex people whose behavior and motivations are probably unknown to either of them. They don’t seem to be very self-actualized people — they just react. My experience of relationships is that once you’re in one, it’s not always easy. It’s a lot of work, and there can be a lot of miscommunication and hidden agendas (nothing major like cheating on someone but about minor things that the other person is usually afraid of admitting). When Kate goes to Sawyer crying, I read that more as her desiring some sort of emotional connection. It was primarily motivated by seeing Jack with Juliet, but it doesn’t mean she isn’t interested in Sawyer. If she were really using someone, she would gone to any guy in the camp and slept with him. But she didn’t. So when The Brig rolls around, she’s with Sawyer in his tent. What’s there to miss? They are together and have been together. They’re trying to make it as a couple the best way they know how. Then Sawyer has his experience in the Black Rock. He just murdered a man. It changed him. I’m sure he wasn’t in the mood to explain himself to Kate or try to reassure her everything was okay between them. Kate noticed something was wrong with him immediately… Sawyer has pushed Kate away from him, and she’s understandably not happy about that. I have never found either Kate or Sawyer to be upfront about their feelings. Sharing what is going on between them is not something they do well at all. This is not a couple that would go to couples therapy. I don’t see their relationship only as lust or sex. I see it as two troubled people trying to work it out the best way they know how. They just don’t have a good set of tools to use or to communicate with each other. (Season 3)

Damon Lindelof: Then we have Sawyer and Kate who are just moving into a new phase of their relationship where the stakes are so much higher, and that of course scares the hell out of both of them. And then there’s also Jack and Juliet, who are sort of this new, tentative romance that’s just starting out, and there should be lots to explore there, so that’s really fun. I would say romance won’t be so much the focus of Season 4, but I don’t think people will be disappointed. (Season 4)

Damon Lindelof: Romance is always blooming on and off the island. And Just for you, I hereby promise you one of the most spectacular kisses you’ve ever see on the show in this year’s finale. (Season 4)

Carlton Cuse: I can disclose no more details other than to say it’s one of my favorite moments of the whole series so far. (Season 4)

Evangeline Lilly: But you made love to me in the cage! You can’t go! (“The Beginning Of The End” DVD commentary, Season 4)

Sawyer looks at the others and makes a decision. He leans over to Kate, whispers something in her ear, and then kisses Kate the kind of kiss that stops time. It’s nothing short of spectacular. (“There’s No Place Like Home” script, Season 4)

Damon Lindelof: And most importantly we know that Kate and Jack’s future relationship in fact that he proposes to her, she accepts his proposal, all comes apart because she is doing something for Sawyer and lying to Jack about it. And this scene, this is the last time Kate and Sawyer see each other before she leaves the island, so whatever it is he whispers to her obviously is what sort of catalyzes and ultimately destroys her relationship with Jack. As a result of that relationship being destroyed Jack starts popping pills and seeing his father and all these things, so this scene, Sawyer whispering to Kate actually is sort of a major critical plot. (“There’s No Place Like Home” DVD commentary, Season 4)

Carlton Cuse: Making the decision to jump was such a cathartic moment for Sawyer, and such a culmination of his journey so far on the series – here he was giving up his girl and his chance to return to the outside world… I felt a rush of emotions as Sawyer whispers his secret to Kate, kisses her, and then leaps from the open door, free falling 100 feet into the water. I almost forgot I was typing as I watched Sawyer bobbing there in the ocean as the chopper vanished from sight. (Season 4)

Carlton Cuse: Our characters have these encounters with things that took place in the island’s past, and none is more significant than Sawyer wandering through the jungle and seeing Kate helping Claire give birth. This is an incredibly powerful, emotional moment for him. (Season 5)

All Sawyer’s efforts to repress his feelings for Kate go out the proverbial window. Because ACTUALLY SEEING HER HERE ON THE ISLAND once again FLOODS HIM WITH TOTAL LONGING FOR HER. He just STARES as Kate pleads with Claire…
Sawyer is beyond moved by the sight of the woman he loves, doing this incredible thing for Claire — who is doing something pretty incredible herself.
Now we’re PUSHING IN ON SAWYER. He knows he’s going bye-bye and he’s not going to see Kate again until God-knows-when. He DRINKS HER IN WITH HIS EYES, WET WITH LONGING. REGRET. SADNESS. AS THE RISING LIGHT WASHES HER COMPLETELY FROM HIS SIGHT. (“The Little Prince” script, Season 5)

Damon Lindelof: We will say we haven’t seen the last of Sawyer and Kate this season. Not by a long shot. (Season 5)

Damon Lindelof: Kate is raising Claire’s son Aaron as her own. She knows that Claire, who’s Aaron’s mother, is now gone, and the only way that she can protect Aaron is to say that he is hers. And we later realize Kate is still emotionally reeling from Sawyer’s decision to jump off of the helicopter. This man that she really loved left her [sawyer: “I wanted to make sure she… got back to the boat”, Kate: “He jumped so that we could make it to the boat”]… She’s trying to heal the emotional scar left by Sawyer taking himself out of the equation. And ever since that moment Jack has wondered, What did he say to her? And the fact that he still has this jealousy, What does this mean for them? (Season 5)

Damon Lindelof: Kate doesn’t realize that she’s replacing the wound left by Sawyer with Aaron. Ironically it’s pointed out to her by an ex-girlfriend of Sawyer’s. So Kate has a change of heart, she returns Aaron to his grandmother. (Season 5)

Damon Lindelof: Kate and Jack are picking up their pieces, but she still pines for Sawyer. Sawyer can only wait for so long. (Season 5)

Damon Lindelof: I think [she]’s a little concerned that Sawyer’s living in some sort of fantasy world with Juliet.
Carlton Cuse: Hmmm.
Lindelof: We’ll see how long that lasts. We’re not sure.
Cuse: We’re not sure.
Lindelof: Fantasies have a way of—
Cuse: Being fantasies. That’s why they’re called fantasies.
Lindelof: Precisely. (Season 5)

Damon Lindelof: There’s none of the sort of emotional fireworks that existed between he and Kate. But now Kate’s back and as soon as they see each other, that chemistry just locks in for both of them.
Carlton Cuse: And that throws a big wrench in the mechanism, doesn’t it?
Lindelof: Huge. (Season 5)

Carlton Cuse: By not having the audience talk about the mythology, then people are engaged in: “Is Kate going to end up with Sawyer?” (Season 6, a month before the finale)

Damon Lindelof’s mother: I think Jack is supposed to stay on the island. He’s going to be the keeper of the light, because what’s waiting for him? Kate’s going to marry Sawyer, if my son has a heart. (Season 6, the day before the finale)

Character quotes (selection)

Season 1 -

KATE: You decided to join us.

SAWYER: I’m a complex guy, sweetheart.

SAWYER: I’ve been with girls like you.

KATE: Not girls exactly like me.

KATE: Put your gun back in your pants, Sawyer.

SAWYER (protecting KATE from the boar): I’m going to shed some light on this thing.

SAWYER (to KATE): The mighty huntress returns. What’s for dinner, hon?

SAWYER: It’s about time.

KATE: For what?

SAWYER: I made this birthday wish four years ago.

SAWYER: Water has no value, Freckles. It’s gonna rain sooner or later. And hell, I’m an optimist.

SAWYER: Well, well, well, if ain’t the belle of the ball… I just call ‘em how I see ‘em, Freckles.

KATE: Are you going?

SAWYER: That’s the real trick, isn’t it?…

KATE: You still haven’t answered my question.

SAWYER: You didn’t answer mine… and I asked first.

SAWYER (to JACK about KATE): I wouldn’t mind sharing a few things with her myself!

SAWYER: Well, you got me pegged, don’t you?

KATE: I get it now. You don’t want off this Island because there’s nothing for you to go back for. Nobody you miss. And no one misses you.

SAWYER: All you had to do was say please.

SAWYER: I just thank the good lord I’ve got you here to keep reminding me.

KATE: It’s a dirty job, but somebody’s got to do it.

SAWYER: Hell of a book. It’s about bunnies…

KATE: Must be cold without your trunks.

SAWYER: How about you come a little closer and warm me up?

KATE (to JACK about SAWYER): He says we have a connection.

KATE: What do you want, Sawyer?

SAWYER: Freckles, I got so many answers to that question, I wouldn’t even know where to start… What do I want… A kiss ought to do it… A kiss. From you. Right now.

KATE: I’ve seen you, you know… I’ve seen the expression on your face…

SAWYER: You think you understand me?

KATE: Yeah.

SAWYER (to JACK about KATE): The only person I’ll tell is her.

SAWYER: Happy to tell you, as soon as I get that kiss.

KATE: Are you serious?

SAWYER: Baby, I am tied to a tree in the jungle of mystery. I just got tortured by a damn spinal surgeon and a genuine Iraqi. Of course I’m serious… Hell, it’s only first base. Lucky for you I ain’t greedy…

SAWYER: Tell him to let go, Freckles. We already made out. What else do I got to live for?

KATE: You’re lucky to be alive… I read it again and again… The thing that I keep coming back around to is that you want to be hated. Then I looked at the envelope - America’s bicentennial, Knoxville, TN. You were just a kid, 8, maybe 9 years old.

SAWYER: Kate!

KATE: This letter wasn’t written to you. You wrote this letter. Your name is not Sawyer, is it?

SAWYER: It was his name. He was a confidence man… I became the man I was hunting. Became Sawyer… Don’t you feel sorry for me.

JACK: Nobody wants anything to do with you.

SAWYER (to JACK about KATE): She does.

KATE: If you want to come, you should just say.

SAWYER: I think I’ll pass on that, Freckles. Not big on crowds. And let’s face it, the crowd’s not too hot on me, either.

KATE: One outcast to another, I’d think about making more of an effort.

SAWYER: Duly noted!

SAWYER: I have two tubes of sunscreen and a flashlight says he chokes.

KATE: I’ll take that action.

SAWYER: I was protecting you.

KATE: From what, southern perverts?

SAWYER: Whatever… What the hell are you doing out here anyway? You shouldn’t be out here alone, not after what happened.

KATE: I’m fine, I can take care of myself.

SAWYER: Of course! I don’t need protecting. I can take care of myself. Me Kate. Me throw rocks.

SAWYER: Come on, Freckles, all we been through on this damn island, don’t we deserve something good?

SAWYER: Something you wanted to tell me about this little suitcase, Freckles?

SAWYER: I hate to bicker about positions, sweetheart, but I think you’re the one on top… If you wanted to play rough, all you had to do was say so… Want to try for it again?

SAWYER: Hell, Freckles, I knew you wanted it, I just didn’t know how bad.

SAWYER (to KATE): I don’t really care what it is. What’s burning me up is why it means so much to you.

KATE: I want to come.

JACK: Sorry…

SAWYER: How much ammo you got?

JACK: 100 rounds give or take.

SAWYER: All 9’s, right? 9 millimeters . Guns?

JACK: Yeah, why?

SAWYER: Because, if the lady wants to come… Five guns are better than four.

KATE (to JACK about SAWYER): I speak his language.

KATE: A boar wouldn’t just attack you for no reason.

SAWYER: Thank you, boar expert.

SAWYER: Since when do you care?

KATE: I don’t.

KATE: Got any more of those?

SAWYER: All right, Sassafras, but if you want to drink, you’ve got to play.

SAWYER: Think of it as a way to get to know each other… I never kissed a man. Now you drink, because you’ve kissed a man.

SAWYER: I’ve never been in love.

KATE: You’ve never been in love?

SAWYER: I ain’t drinking, am I?

KATE: I’ve never had a one night stand. Bottoms up, sailor!

SAWYER: I got to drink for each one?… I’ve never been married.

KATE: Didn’t last very long… I never blamed a boar for all my problems.

SAWYER: I never cared about having carte blanche because I just wanted to spend some time with the only other person on this island that just don’t belong.

KATE: I never carried a letter around for 20 years because I couldn’t get over my baggage.

SAWYER: I never killed a man. [They both drink.] Well… looks like we got something in common after all.

KATE (to SAWYER): You OK? You were shaking.

KATE: Maybe it’s got your scent, doesn’t like your cologne?

SAWYER: I don’t wear cologne.

KATE: Yes, you do.

KATE (to SUN about SAWYER): What was that all about?

SUN: He has headaches…

KATE: That’s it. Get up. You’re going to see Jack.

SAWYER: Do I get a lollipop?

SAWYER (to KATE): You need anything else? I could come with you.

KATE: You here to say sorry, Sawyer?

SAWYER: Sorry don’t suit me. You cornered me, Freckles, I did what I had to…

KATE: Be safe, Sawyer.

SAWYER: Yeah.

KATE (to CHARLIE about SAWYER): Have you seen Sawyer?

Season 2 -

SUN: Claire found the bottle. The one with the messages inside. The one from the raft.

KATE: Where is it?

SUN: What are you doing?

KATE (to SUN about SAWYER): We didn’t, uh… I didn’t say goodbye.

SUN: Sawyer?

KATE: Sawyer. It’s Kate. You need to listen to me, OK? The only way that you are going to get better is if you take this pill. So I want you to swallow it, OK?

KATE: Hey. Can you hear me? You’re going to be all right. You’re home.

SAWYER (about KATE): Where is she? I love her! I love her!

KATE (to SAWYER): When you wake up you’re going to get a kick out of me feeding you like a baby.

SAWYER: Am I in a bunk bed?

KATE: Yeah, you’re in a bunk bed.

SAWYER: Are we saved?

KATE: No, Sawyer. Not yet.

SAWYER (to KATE): Home sweet home.

SAWYER: What do you keep smiling at?

KATE: You need a haircut!

KATE: You see that?

SAWYER: If you mean the big ass horse standing in the middle of the jungle, then yeah… Do you know that horse, Freckles?

KATE: Yeah. I do.

SAWYER: A little close to the ear, Freckles.

KATE: Everyone loves you now.

SAWYER: Did you just throw a banana at me?

KATE: Couldn’t find any rocks.

SAWYER: There are nicer ways to wake a man up, Freckles.

KATE: Come on, it’s time to go get your bandages changed…

SAWYER: Give me a hand?… Thanks.

SAWYER (to TOM about KATE): If you touch a hair on her head…

SAWYER (to KATE about JACK): Don’t beat yourself up, Freckles. If he’d told me to stay behind I’d have done the same damned thing.

KATE: I like what you’ve done with the place.

SAWYER: Maid’s day off.

KATE: I know you’re hard up for new reading material.

SAWYER: Well, as much as I’d like to learn to feather my hair, I lost my damn glasses on the raft. You want to read it to me?

SAWYER: Get under here, Freckles!

KATE: I like the rain!

KATE: I think you want people to hate you.

SAWYER: Good thing you don’t hate me, Freckles.

KATE: Why do you have to do this?

SAWYER: You run. I con. A tiger don’t change their stripes.

SAWYER: Well, Thelma, seeing as I got all the guns, I do get to ask why.

KATE: Just give me a gun, Sawyer.

SAWYER: I found a new pair of glasses damn near my prescription. You like them?

KATE: I’m going into the jungle to track down Rousseau. Claire thinks the baby is really sick.

SAWYER: What do you think?

KATE: I think she’s a little too worried. But she’s going after Rousseau with or without me.

SAWYER: No boys allowed, huh? All right, what do you want, 9 millimeter or rifle?

KATE: So he just attacked you, huh?

SAWYER: Try to contain yourself, Freckles.

KATE: I’m worried. You look like you got your ass kicked.

SAWYER: Don’t you got an adventure to get to? I think Timmy fell down a well over that way.

ANA (to SAWYER about KATE): If you’ve got a problem because he’s making time with your girlfriend, don’t take it out on me, man.

[sAWYER comforts KATE after the deaths of ANA and LIBBY.]

SAWYER (to JACK about KATE): So what happened out there in the jungle?… I ain’t talking about Mike. You and Freckles — before you found him you all were gone all night.

SAWYER: Let’s go, Freckles.

KATE: Don’t even think about it. It’s a trap. A net. Rousseau’s got them all over the island… What?

SAWYER: When the doc told me you all got caught in a net, I thought he meant… something else.

SAWYER: What do you think, Freckles?…

KATE: Just keep moving, we’re being followed… In about five seconds I’m going to turn the tables on them. You in?

Season 3 -

SAWYER: You OK, Freckles?

KATE: Yeah. You?

SAWYER: Just swell. I requested that cage, but whatever… Nice dress.

KATE: They made me wear it.

SAWYER: You hungry?

KATE: Nice alarm clock.

SAWYER: I’ve woken up to worse. Want a half a fish biscuit?

KATE: You expect me to work in this dress?

PICKETT: You can take it off if you want.

[sAWYER looks at KATE like that’s a good idea. KATE looks back.]

SAWYER (to PICKETT): How dare you?

SAWYER: Having fun yet, Freckles?

KATE: Quit staring at my ass.

SAWYER: Give me something else to stare at.

[sAWYER kisses KATE.]

KATE: Are you OK?

SAWYER: Never better.

KATE: What the hell were you thinking?

SAWYER: I couldn’t help myself, you just looked so darned cute swinging that pick-axe… Chain gang looks good on you, Freckles.

KATE: Did you see the look on their faces when you got a hold of that rifle?

SAWYER: That blonde who had a gun pointed at you, she would have shot you, no problem.

KATE: Why did she call you James?

SAWYER: Because that’s my name… I noticed something else, too. You taste like strawberries.

KATE: You taste like fish biscuits…

SAWYER: Well, Shortcake, now we wait for these bastards to make a mistake.

SAWYER: What, you think I’m crazy?

KATE: No, I’m actually impressed.

SAWYER: So wipe the stars out of your eyes, sweetheart, we’re going to do this… We’ve got to take care of us. It’s every man for himself, Freckles.

BEN: Oh, and one other thing. Kate.

SAWYER: You touch her, I swear…

BEN: You tell her what we did, what we put in you - that we’re watching you - you tell her any of these things - we’ll put one in her, too.

KATE: Sawyer, are you OK?… Talk to me, what happened?

SAWYER: Look, I told you, nothing happened. So quit asking.

KATE: Turn around.

KATE: What’s that?

SAWYER: It’s just my watch, it’s busted.

KATE: When did you get a watch?

SAWYER: Look, I don’t tell you everything. Just leave me alone, damn it. Put some clothes on!

KATE (to PICKETT about SAWYER): I love him! I love him!

KATE: Are you OK?

SAWYER: Dandy. Guy hits like a girl. No offense.

KATE: Why did he do that?

SAWYER: Hell if I know.

SAWYER: Hang on a second, Freckles.

KATE: I don’t know what they did to you, but I know you’re scared enough to lie about it and that scares me more than anything they’ve done to us before.

SAWYER: Wait! What are you doing? Don’t!

KATE: I’m not leaving you, Sawyer.

SAWYER: You’ve got to go! You’ve got to leave me! Run! Run!

KATE: What did they do to you?

SAWYER: Will you go!

KATE: What is that thing?

SAWYER: Will you run! Just go. It’s every man for himself. Run! Hurry!

[KATE gets back into her cage.]

SAWYER: What the hell are you doing? Kate!… Damn it, Freckles, don’t!

BEN (to SAWYER about KATE): Funny thing is, us telling you about the pacemaker wasn’t what kept you in line. It was when I threatened her. You work so hard to make her think you don’t care - that you don’t need her.

KATE: Hey.

SAWYER: Hey yourself.

KATE: I thought you had to pull the lever.

SAWYER: I know how to get a damn fish biscuit.

KATE: Get me one.

SAWYER: What, you trying to keep me feeling productive?

SAWYER: Just go, Freckles. Man wants to give me a day off, let him give me a day off.

KATE: No, Sawyer, we’re a team. You break the rocks, I haul them.

ALEX (to KATE about SAWYER): Let me go! Listen, whatever they say, don’t believe them! They’re gonna kill your boyfriend just like they killed mine!

[sAWYER and KATE look at each other.]

KATE (to JACK about SAWYER): They’re going to kill Sawyer!

JACK: And you believe them?

KATE: I have to.

JULIET (to KATE about SAWYER): Sawyer. You really care about him.

PICKETT (to SAWYER about KATE): You got anything you want to say to your girl, you best say it tonight.

SAWYER (to KATE, who is crying): And how was your day, honey?

KATE (about JACK): I told him he had to.

SAWYER: Why the hell would you do something so stupid?

KATE: To save your life.

SAWYER: My life don’t need saving.

KATE: You want to die? Cause that’s what’s gonna happen. Pickett is just waiting for his chance. I’ve seen him look at you.

SAWYER: Damn it, Freckles, stay put.

KATE: And you know what he’s going to do. So don’t pretend, like you don’t care.

SAWYER: Get down, Freckles. We’ve already been through this.

KATE: Shut up, James!

SAWYER: We ain’t on our island. We’re on another island, like Alcatraz, couple miles off shore. So unless you’re a mermaid, or you got a boat, there ain’t no point.

KATE: When were you planning on telling me this?

SAWYER: Never.

KATE: Why not? Why wouldn’t you?

SAWYER: Because I wanted you to believe that we had a damn chance.

[sAWYER and KATE kiss and make love.]

SAWYER: Let me ask you something, Freckles. When Blockhead was beating on me, and you said “I love you” that was just to get him to stop, right?

[KATE kisses SAWYER.]

SAWYER: I love you, too.

SAWYER and KATE wake up together in his cage.

KATE (to PICKETT about SAWYER): Don’t, please! You don’t have to do this…

PICKETT: Step away!

KATE: No!

PICKETT: You let go or I do her too! Let go!

KATE: Don’t you let go! Don’t even think about it Sawyer, you fight! No! Sawyer, NO!! No, NO!! Sawyer, PLEASE! You get your hands off of him!

PICKETT: Down on your knees.

KATE (to PICKETT about SAWYER): Please! I will do anything you want!

PICKETT: I want you to watch!

SAWYER: Close your eyes, Freckles.

KATE: Stand up!

SAWYER: Close your eyes!

KATE: Don’t you give up! NO! NO! NO!

KATE [protecting SAWYER from PICKETT]: No!

SAWYER: Damn good con, Freckles, I almost believed you were going to shoot that boy.

KATE: It wasn’t a con.

SAWYER (to KARL about KATE): Every now and again, there’s one. One you name dumb stars with.

SAWYER: Try to contain your excitement, Freckles.

KATE: On the count of three, ready…

SAWYER: Ow! I thought you said three!

KATE: Well, anticipation is the worst part, I thought I would spare you.

KATE: You know, all you have to say is sorry. We could start again - give each other a clean slate.

SAWYER: Slate. Like on Little House?

KATE: You call it Little House?… What are we even talking about?

SAWYER: We ain’t talking about nothing.

KATE: James!

SAWYER: And I ain’t got nothing to be sorry about.

SAWYER (to HURLEY about KATE): Kate’s with me.

SAWYER: I’m sorry.

JIN: I’m sorry.

SAWYER: OK, nice. Keep it coming.

JIN: You were right.

SAWYER: OK. That’s two. Hit me.

JIN: Those pants don’t make you look fat.

SAWYER: Now you got it - only three things a woman needs to hear.

SAWYER (to HURLEY about KATE): Hey, you seen Kate around?

HURLEY (to SAWYER about KATE): She’ll be OK, dude - Kate. I know you’re worried about her.

[sAWYER and KATE embrace when KATE returns.]

SAWYER: Hey, Freckles! You home?

SAWYER: How about a little afternoon delight?… Freckles, wait. You need me to make you a mix tape?

[KATE kisses SAWYER.]

KATE: Shut up and don’t talk…

SAWYER: You got it.

[sAWYER and KATE make love.]

KATE: What’s that?

SAWYER: Your mix tape.

KATE: The Best of Phil Collins, huh?

SAWYER: Don’t get picky. If Bernard asks, I don’t know a thing about it.

KATE: Thanks, James.

SAWYER: You want me to walk you home?

KATE: That is so romantic!

[sAWYER and KATE kiss.]

SAYID (to SAWYER): Play her the tape!

KATE (to SAWYER): What tape?…

BEN (on the tape, about KATE): We won’t have time to run Austen’s sample, so if you determine that she or anyone else is pregnant, mark their tents, and we’ll take them too.

KATE: What’s the matter with you? Why don’t you just tell me what happened?

[KATE splashes SAWYER.]

SAWYER: What did you do that for?

KATE: To wake you up! Ever since you got that tape from Locke it’s like you’ve been sleepwalking. You don’t care about our friends, fine, but its like you don’t care about anything anymore. And since when did you start calling me Kate?… You know, they sent Juliet to check out Sun, but she was there to check and see if I’m pregnant too.

JACK (to KATE about SAWYER): He didn’t mean it, you know. Sawyer. When he said that he didn’t want you to go with him, he didn’t mean it.

Season 4 -

KATE: What are you doing?

SAWYER: Same thing I’ve always done, Kate. Surviving.

BEN (to SAWYER about KATE): Why’d you leave Kate behind?… I think Kate was really upset when you made your choice to come with us.

JACK: I don’t trust Locke.

KATE: So what’s preventing him from doing to me what he did to Naomi?

JACK (to KATE about SAWYER): Sawyer won’t let him.

KATE: So what, I’m your prisoner?

SAWYER: If that sort of thing turns you on.

SAWYER: Look around us, Freckles! We’ve got roofs over our heads…

KATE: How long, Sawyer?

SAWYER: Why don’t we find out?

KATE: Hey Hurley.

HURLEY: Hey Kate.

[HURLEY winks at SAWYER.]

SAWYER: Got something in your eye, Hugo?

SAWYER (to LOCKE about KATE): I need your word you ain’t going to do nothing to her.

SAWYER: Oh hey, Freckles. You OK?

KATE: He wants me gone by tomorrow.

SAWYER: What, he banished you? Well, I unbanish you. You can stay right here. This is my house… You’re going to be all right. I’ll keep you safe.

[sAWYER and KATE kiss.]

[KATE wakes SAWYER with kisses.]

SAWYER: You still think you might be pregnant.

KATE: I’m not pregnant… Would it have been the worst thing in the world?

SAWYER (to KATE about CLAIRE): She just walked off in the middle of the night. We looked for her for a day but she was just gone. [He gives AARON to KATE.]

SAWYER: Did he say something to tick you off, Freckles?

KATE: I didn’t kill that one.

SAWYER: Let’s go, Freckles! We’ve seen enough of this rock.

[sAWYER and KATE kiss.]

SAWYER: Just do it, Freckles.

[sAWYER jumps to save KATE.]

KATE: Sawyer!

KATE (to JACK about SAWYER): I was doing something for him. For Sawyer. I made him a promise.

Season 5 -

KATE (to JACK about SAWYER): I can’t lose him, too.

JACK: Sawyer’s not dead.

KATE: No… but he’s gone.

SAWYER (to JULIET about KATE): I wanted to make sure she… I wanted to make sure they got back to the boat.

KATE (to CASSIDY about SAWYER): He jumped so that we could make it to the boat.

KATE (to CASSIDY about AARON): He needed me.

CASSIDY: You needed him. Sawyer broke your heart, how else were you supposed to fix it?

KATE (to CLAIRE’S MOTHER about AARON/SAWYER subtext): Because I needed him.

LOCKE (to SAWYER about KATE): Don’t you want them to come back, James? Don’t you want her to come back?

SAWYER (to LOCKE about KATE): It doesn’t matter what I want.

SAWYER (to JULIET about KATE): I was close enough to touch her.

SAWYER (to FARADAY about KATE): Everybody I care about just blew up on your damn boat. I know what I can’t change.

JIN: How long do we look, James?

SAWYER (to JIN about KATE): As long as it takes.

SAWYER (to HORACE about KATE): I’d lay in bed every night wondering if I’d ever stop thinking about her… She’s just gone, and she ain’t never coming back.

[sAWYER and KATE look at each other, then embrace.]

SAWYER: Good to see you, Kate.

KATE: You too, James.

SAWYER (to KATE): Put these on.

[sAWYER and KATE look at each other as he puts the lei around her.]

[sAWYER and KATE look at each other across the courtyard.]

SAWYER: Why’d you all come back? Why, Kate?

KATE: I don’t know why everyone else came back. I just know why I did.

SAWYER: Damn it, Freckles. I ain’t here to stop you. I’m here to help you.

KATE (about CLEMENTINE): Oh, she’s beautiful. Looks just like you when she smiles.

SAWYER (to KATE about joining his escape party): Come with us, Freckles!

RADINSKY (to SAWYER about KATE): So why don’t you tell me where your girlfriend took the boy?

[sAWYER looks at KATE in the monitor.]

SAWYER (as KATE enters the sub): Hey.

KATE: Hey.

KATE: I came back to get you.

SAWYER: What, you got a compass?

KATE: No, do you?

BERNARD: We just care about being together. That’s all that matters in the end.

[sAWYER looks at KATE.]

JULIET (to SAWYER about KATE): I changed my mind when I saw you look at her.

Season 6 -

KATE: Hey! You all right?

KATE (to DOGEN about SAWYER): I will bring him back and I can make him stay.

ALDO (to KATE about SAWYER): After you, princess. So what’s your strategy for bringing your boyfriend back?

JIN: Where are you going?

KATE: Catching up with Sawyer.

JIN: So you never planned to bring him back to the temple.

KATE: No…

JIN: Who do you care about, Kate? Once you catch up with Sawyer, then what?

KATE (to JIN about SAWYER): I guess we’ll figure that out together.

KATE: I was worried about you.

SAWYER (about JULIET and JACK): I didn’t want to be alone. You understand that, right?

KATE: I’ll be sure to leave a trail so you can follow us.

KATE: Hi.

SAWYER: Hi yourself.

[sAWYER fondles KATE’S dress.]

SAWYER (returning to KATE): What’s for dinner?

KATE: Rabbit. I think.

SAWYER: Good, I’m starving.

SAWYER: You and me are getting the hell off this island… We ain’t taking the plane, Freckles, we’re taking the sub.

KATE: Why aren’t you worried, James?

SAWYER: I am worried. Just really good at pretending I ain’t.

SAWYER: How about it, Freckles? Know anything about sailing?

KATE: I know enough.

SAWYER (to JACK about CLAIRE threatening KATE): She gave up her ticket when she tried to kill Kate. And I ain’t going to let that happen again.

KATE: When were you planning on telling me this?

SAWYER: Now.

SAWYER: Wait a damn second.

KATE: Sawyer, shut up. She’s coming or I’m not.

JIN (to SUN): We’ll never be apart again. I promise you.

[sAWYER looks at KATE.]

WIDMARK (to SAWYER about KATE): It doesn’t matter to me whether she lives or dies.

KATE: Don’t listen to him.

[sAWYER puts down the gun.]

SAWYER (protecting KATE from the smoke monster): He doesn’t need you, Kate.

[sAWYER and KATE comfort each other after the deaths of SUN and JIN.]

[sAWYER takes care of KATE.]

SAWYER: I’d ask you along, but that would take all the fun out of me telling you you can’t come.

KATE: I guess I’ll just have to resist the urge to follow you anyway.

KATE (following SAWYER): What now?

SAWYER: We jump.

Another thing i want you guys to read :  http://theoriesonlos...dana23.html?m=1

What About Skate? by Dana23
Posted by DarkUFO at 6/21/2010 07:54:00 pm
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on gmailShare on google_plusone_shareShare on tumblrMore Sharing Services
I have never submitted anything before, but I have yet to see any practical explanation (unless I missed it) for why the character relationships ended as they did. In some cases the writers seemed to be stretching things a bit to justify the pairings in the sideways world. For example, Hurley and Libby only knew each other a week or two and hadn’t even had a date; Sayid and Shannon were together less than a month. Yet, according to the story, these couples were destined to be soul mates. Meanwhile, Sawyer and Kate, a more invested couple in the series, were never really acknowledged in the sideways. Though the ultimate pairings made for a clean, nicely wrapped up ending, it enraged and saddened a contingent of fans. I haven’t seen this addressed from a pragmatic point of view, so I’m submitting this, not to provoke a shipper war (the time for that is over), but to show the evolution of the triangle and why the relationships ended as they did. So…

WHAT ABOUT SKATE???

For years a group of relationship advocates (a.k.a. shippers) called Skaters (i.e., those that follow the romance of Sawyer and Kate on the television show Lost) have touted that Skate was or at least should be the romantic endgame of Lost. But when the closing credits rolled on the series finale, it was obvious that the team of Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse (also known to the show’s fans as Darlton) had decided to forego that popular relationship in favor of Jate (Jack and Kate) and Suliet (Sawyer and Juliet). Neither relationship was portrayed with the depth and range of Skate, yet this final choice should not have been a surprise.

When the show started in September 2004, Jack and Kate were an obvious pairing from their very first scene in the pilot. According to DVD commentary on the pilot, a decision had already been made to add some tension to that budding relationship by making it a triangle. Sayid was the first candidate for the job, according to the commentary, and interaction between Kate and Sayid in the pilot would seem to confirm that. But then came the first scene between Sawyer and Kate after the shooting of the polar bear. The chemistry between the two actors was unmistakable and this may well be the scene that resulted in Sawyer claiming the dubious honor of the third leg of the triangle.

The pairings were quite different. Where Jack was reserved with Kate and Kate seemed to be flirty but demure with Jack, the Sawyer and Kate combination was volatile, fun, provocative, and passionate. By the end of the first season, fans of the pair were undoubtedly out pacing those of Jate. At this point, the producers may have decided that the original pairing of Jack and Kate should go by the wayside in favor of the charismatic Skate, but they could not allow their hero (and his fans) to not have a romantic interest. So in season 2, they introduced Ana Lucia as an alternative love interest for Jack. But Jack and Ana Lucia was a complete bust. The couple had no chemistry nor were they believable as a couple. The character of Ana Lucia was tough like Kate, but she was also crude and unsophisticated; certainly not somebody a highly educated and refined surgeon would be attracted to. On top of that, Ana Lucia was generally unpopular and so she was dispatched by the end of the season.

By season 3, fans were clamoring for Kate to make a decision between Sawyer and Jack. After 2 long seasons, they were tired and frustrated with the ongoing triangle. So at the beginning of season 3, Darlton stated that Kate would make her choice between Jack and Sawyer in the first six episodes. Darlton apparently decided to go with the popular Skate (as evidenced by the sixth episode of the season, “I Do” in which Sawyer and Kate consummate their relationship).

However, Jack and his fans were still an issue. So Darlton decided to introduce another romantic interest for Jack in season 3. Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet was everything they could hope for. Juliet was beautiful, brilliant, sophisticated, quiet, thoughtful, tough yet feminine and a perfect match for Jack. Fans of the pair (often referred to as Jacket) sprang up, but not enough to quiet the very vocal Jaters. After the sixth episode of the season, Jaters were enraged with Kate’s “choice”. The angry backlash of the Jaters caused Darlton to back away from their initial decision. They revised their statement about Kate’s choice and now stated that it was only a choice of “who Kate would sleep with first”. The rest of the season was spent with Kate going back and forth between the two men. Although she only slept with Sawyer, she was constantly getting jealous over Jack and Juliet. By the end of the season, it was clear that Kate’s final choice would not be forth coming anytime soon.

With season 4, not wanting to anger and alienate any of their fanbase, Darlton had probably decided they would keep Kate’s final choice to the end of the series. To keep things uncertain for all members of the now so called quadrangle (the addition of Juliet had added another leg to the polygon), season 4 saw the end of Skate (“Eggtown” and “There’s No Place Like Home”) and the apparent death of both Jate (“Something Nice Back Home” flash forwards) and Jacket (“Something Nice Back Home” on island) as well. The writers now had more or less a clean slate and no one could predict where the writers were going with any of the relationships. Frustration continued to mount. Both Jaters and Skaters claimed that their couple would be victorious by the end of the series. Jaters mantra of “Jate is Fate” and Skaters claim that Skate was endgame led to vicious “shipper wars” on internet fan sites. To this Darlton just smiled and declared they knew what Kate’s final choice would be, but fans would have to wait.

In season 5, Darlton decided they would up the ante and try one last permutation of the now dreaded quadrangle: Sawyer and Juliet. Both actors were reticent. The Sawyer/Kate relationship was heavily invested in the series and the actors (Holloway and Mitchell) thought that trying to make the audience believe Sawyer and Juliet were in love in just 2 or 3 scenes couldn’t or shouldn’t be done. And according to the Skaters it wasn’t done successfully. But for the general audience and Jaters (who were happy to get Sawyer away from Kate), it was a slam dunk. Holloway and Mitchell had done what many thought unlikely. They sold a relationship between two characters in one episode. Suliet fans sprung up overnight. A number of Skaters jumped “ship” and boarded the Suliet express. Finally, Darlton had something that might actually satisfy the majority of the fans.

However, not expecting the success of the episode “La Fleur”, Darlton had already decided to kill Juliet. They felt her story was complete and her death was integral to the season 5 finale. They may have even considered returning full force to the triangle for the sixth and finale season. But Suliet’s popularity changed that. Juliet’s death now meant that unless they wanted to portray Sawyer as a shallow cad in season 6, they couldn’t return to Skate in the course of the season unless they jumped forward in time so that Sawyer could have a period for grieving. Jumping forward a year or two was not part of the game plan. As with other seasons, season 6 would cover a short period of time, perhaps a week or two. Darlton could not have Skate return in season 6 and there was no season 7. So what was next? What about Skate?

The only thing that Darlton could do for Skate and for their fans was to leave that relationship open ended and that’s exactly what they did. There are connections seen between the two throughout the season. I won’t waste time listing all of them, but even at the end of the season, small connections between the two are still seen. When Sawyer stands on the beach staring at the ocean, mourning the deaths of Sun, Jin and Sayid, Kate stands next to him (not Jack) and puts her head on his shoulder. In the finale, Sawyer gently checks her wound while Jack is mulling over what it means to be the new Jacob in the nearby stream. But the most obvious indication the writers have given that Skate could/would still happen is that Sawyer and Kate are two of the survivors to leave on the Ajira jet. Only 3 of the original cast are on that plane and it is not coincidence that Sawyer and Kate are 2 of the 3.

What do the writers want the Skaters to think? Well, it seems obvious they have given them the opportunity to write there own Skate story. Perhaps the storyline could be something like this (for example). The plane lands in Fiji (or Guam for that matter since that was the original destination.) Sawyer and Kate have a touching parting. Kate goes with Claire to Australia where she helps Claire reconnect with Aaron and her mother. Sawyer returns to the States. Perhaps he decides to make amends with Cassidy, so he can have a relationship with his daughter Clementine. Perhaps he and Miles continue their friendship and become partners in a business (which would explain their continued connection in the sideways world). Kate grieves for Jack; Sawyer grieves Juliet. Several years pass. Somehow their paths cross again. Perhaps it is “random”; perhaps one of them is seriously sick or injured and their close friends call to let the other know (Claire calls Sawyer or Miles calls Kate). Once Sawyer and Kate are in contact once again, they realize that the feelings they once had for each other, feelings they may have buried, are still there and their romance begins anew. Down the road, perhaps they marry. They may even have children. They live a long and happy life together.

So how does that scenario jell with the awakenings in the sideways world in the season 6 finale? Not easily, of course. Sawyer and Kate do not awaken each other. Sawyer and Juliet awaken each other. Kate is awakened by Claire giving birth and Kate assists the process of awakening Jack. (Notice that Kate’s awakening does not happen with Jack or Sawyer, but with the birth of Aaron. So perhaps it is Kate’s love of Aaron that was in fact her purest, truest love. Jack also is not fully awakened by Kate; the process begins with Locke and ends when he confronts his father’s coffin/death.) In any case, these awakenings are not dissimilar to Shannon and Sayid.

Many people have complained since the finale that Shannon was not the love of Sayid’s life. That was Nadia. Yet Sayid and Shannon awaken each other in the sideways. Why? What is it that these couples all have in common? Well for one thing, their love affairs, for the most part, occurred on island. For another, at least one of the partners in the relationship died on the island and that partner was never shown to have any all consuming relationship off island. Does this apply to our couples in the church? Yes. Shannon died on island and she never was shown to have a significant relationship with anyone but Sayid. Juliet died on the island and although other relationships were shown for her, it was obvious that Sawyer was the love of her life. Same for Jack. He died on the island and although he had other relationships, Kate was the love of his life. Charlie died on the island and Claire was the love of his life. Libby died on the island, as Hurley probably did too. Who was there for whom? I think it likely that Libby was there for Hurley rather than the other way around. (Unless this was a lie, she was married previously and seems to have been so depressed after her husband’s death she wound up in Santa Rosa.) In any case, Libby helped Hurley awaken just as Kate helped Jack; but Libby’s and Kate’s awakenings were triggered before they actually met up with Hurley and Jack.

--(By the way, it seems unlikely that 3 rather young, very attractive people like Sawyer, Kate and Claire would have spent the rest of their off-island lives mourning the loss of their on-island partners. It seems more likely that they would be like the character Rose in the movie Titanic. The movie shows her love affair on the ship with Jack who basically sacrifices himself for her. She grieves Jack (even takes his name), but eventually goes on to marry another, have a family and live her life. This part of her story is never covered by the film because it is not important to the story of the Titanic. (But we know it happens because she has a granddaughter in the film.) At the end of the movie she either dreams of meeting Jack or dies and does meet him in an afterlife on the Titanic. This seems very similar to Lost. It seems quite likely that Sawyer and Kate could have had a life together after the island (and no doubt Claire did as well), but it was not referenced in the sideways because it was not part of this story. As the Titanic and her relationship with Jack was a turning point in Rose’s life, so the island and the relationships it spawned was the turning point for those on the island, especially those that lost their lives there. And that is the story that was told.)--

Moving on, Sun and Jin, Bernard and Rose, and Desmond and Penny don’t have any other significant love interests that we know of so they are all there together. Desmond and Penny appear to be the anomaly here since they are the only pair where both probably died off island (unless Hurley never figured out a way to get Desmond back) and neither of them was on flight 815. Then again, Desmond is always pointed out as an anomaly and fans would have been royally pissed if he hadn’t appeared in the church. Logically, this doesn’t really explain Penny who is the only off island person there. Note that John Locke constructed Helen (who was an off-island relationship) in the sideways world, but she was not the one to wake him up (it was the idea of walking again) and she was not in the church, just like Nadia was not there for Sayid.

Anyway, the conclusion of this may be that relationships that were resolved or completed (especially off island) during the person’s lifetime were not revisited in the sideways world. If Sawyer and Kate had a long fulfilling relationship off island, then perhaps they are in the constructed sideways world to finish their relationships with Juliet and Jack. The same could be true for Claire with Charlie. And although Sayid’s time with Nadia was short, perhaps it was for him complete, but his relationship with Shannon was not. (In other words, some people were there to help and be there for their on island partners not their off island partners.)

So maybe Skaters should look at the ending of Lost as a gift. Each can write their own Skate story because there is none written in stone. Others with limited imagination, who can only see what is right in front of them, will deny the existence of these stories. But they exist. They may not be canon (i.e., written by the show’s creators), but they are just as real (for those that imagine them) as what was shown on the screen.

The final conclusion is that Skaters can choose to believe that Skate was in fact endgame; it was just never actually shown on the series. (Jaters, of course, will deny until death that it ever existed at all. They will note that Kate told Jack she loved him in the finale, but never said those words to Sawyer. Jaters should be aware, however, that Kate only said those words to Jack after she asked him if she would ever see him again and he indicated that the answer was “no”. Then she calmly jumped in the ocean with Sawyer, took the Ajira flight with Claire and went home, only momentarily crying for the dying man she left behind.) In any case, the “shipping” war is over. I personally loved both Skate (seasons 1, 2, and 3) and Suliet (season 5). Mostly I loved the character of Sawyer and that being said, I choose to believe that he did not spend the rest of his life pining away for his beloved Juliet; but at some point found happiness with the only other woman that he truly loved, Kate. I’m a romantic sometimes.

I gotta say I'm impressed by your dedication to the couple, Donna. I don't care about either pairing personally (Sawyer/Juliet was the only main couple that I liked even a little, but I never shipped them) but it kind of makes me wish I did.

parts of it was interesting. I liked the back story on how season 1 came to be. According to him they knew a great deal about the characters (at least the ones in season one). Some things they changed like Jack not dying in the Pilot (which I agree wouldn't have worked) and Hurley's back story. I'm not sure why he left after season 2 but I guess that's the business.

He did complain how people kept coming up and asking if he could connect them to Darlton lol. Thanks for posting.

I still have yet to do a rewatch, but I am tempted. I was obsessed with this show back in the day. I wasn't as angry about the finale as some, but I was frustrated with the final season as a whole because they kept introducing new things (that freaking temple, the lighthouse) that ended up not having anything to do with anything.

I personally thought a much better ending would have been that the plane crash survivors always traveled back in time to Dharma, but they needed to keep doing it until they kept the bomb from exploding (or made the bomb explode) to save the island. Then the cycle would finally end.

It would explain why the Others were so mean to them (What happened, happened...they had to follow the same chain of events or they might not get back in time), would explain why Jacob wouldn't let them escape the island, why they were "chosen", etc. Then after they explode/don't explode the bomb, you still could have had almost the same resolution with the flash sideways. Just skip the rest of the religious stuff that got "introduced" in season 6. The whispers could have been echos of previous cycles, so they would have been hearing themselves. The eye in the cabin same thing. I think it would have been cooler that way anyway!

Edited by the eskimo
  • Love 2

Towards the end of the show's run, Kristen Dos Santos over at E! posted a blind item about one of the actors on the show--that he/she was a diva and did not get along with the rest of the cast. Kristen never revealed who she was talking about, but I still think about it now and then!

I always got the feeling that Matthew Fox was the odd one out. I remember distinctly that he and Dom were good friends at the start of the show, but when Dom left the show Matthew Fox was conspicuously absent from the castmates he mentioned having a final goodbye party with. 

Oh, and I always got the sense of tension between Terry O'Quinn and Matthew Fox. 

Edited by Hava
  • Like 1

I looked up Dominic Monaghan just now because I recall hearing that he left the show because there wasn't enough light on him. 

I stumbled upon this: http://au.eonline.com/news/320051/no-love-lost-dominic-monaghan-tweets-that-matthew-fox-beats-women

I didn't really keep up with Lost news so it might not be a surprise to anyone but it suggests the 2 aren't friends.

I'd also wonder if the person was Dom, considering he wanted to be a bigger character than Charlie warranted. Interview on him leaving

Like several other original cast members, you weren’t getting a lot of screen time earlier this season. What were some of the concerns that you discussed with the producers?
I’ve always tried to appeal to the writers that I thought [Charlie] was an incredibly capable character even though he had all these issues, and he wanted to contribute in the same way that Locke was doing, and the same way that Sawyer was doing. I didn’t want [Charlie] to necessarily be stuck on the beach taking care of the baby — who I love; one of my favorite days on Lost is working with the baby — but I didn’t want him to be Surrogate Dad. Charlie was the first guy to kill an Other. He was the first guy to step up and go, ”F— you guys. If you’re gonna mess with us, we’re gonna mess with you.” And I thought, ”I don’t want to see this character become neutered. I want him to step up in his life.” I was always saying to Damon, ”My dream for Charlie was for him to go off on his own into the jungle and go renegade — steal off into the jungle with a gun and learn about life himself…” Not only that, but find a surfboard. This is a flight from Sydney to L.A., so there’s going to be at least three or four surfboards on the plane. Why doesn’t Charlie find a surfboard and learn to surf on the island? They never went for it. [smiles]

Maybe that has more to do with me thinking Charlie was a painful character and was glad he didn't get more time :P

I thought the triangle made both Sawyer and Jack look stupid.

Geez, at some point you would think BOTH these men would just throw up their hands and say,"forget her". For Gods sake, Kate was OK but she wasn't all that damn special.

Other then her looks I could never see what it was about her that had them both so gaga over her.

And what really makes me bitter is that Jack and Sawyer had a very interesting dynamic. They had a chemistry that had nothing to do with Kate. We could have seen a lot more interaction from them. But it was always mostly about Kate.

It really sick and I wish they had killed Kate off or something. Let Jack and Sawyer have a short grieving period. Then they can move on. They would have been twice as interesting without the awful romance getting in the way.

I admit I did love Sawyer and Juliet though. And as much as I liked Jack dude was screwed up big time. I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was over Jin/Sun and their insanely repetitive storylines as early as S2. 

Desmond and Penny just don't do it for me like they do for everyone else---primarily because I hold the UO of being kind of eh on Desmond and because Penny was just another generic, undefined character for me. I totally get why people adore The Constant, though :) 

The freighter folk were generally awesome---more so for me than the majority of our original Losties. 

The most I ever liked Sawyer was when he was a cop in S6's sideways-verse. 

Speaking of liking characters at odd times: PrisonerJack interacting with Juliet in S3 are some of the very best scenes for his character of the whole series for me. I didn't really "'ship" Jack and Juliet, but I like their interactions a lot, which seems unpopular.

I get why many consider S3 the nadir of the series and have gone through stages where I probably agree, but there's just so much to love about it for me---especially once you fast forward through the cage sex between Kate and Sawyer (who I hold the UO of despising as a couple for reasons already ranted about elsewhere---I just think they tap into each other's worst selves.) I find The Others stuff interesting, we get some great scenes/episodes for both Ben and Locke this season, Juliet has really grown on me, and the last handful of S3 episodes are arguably the high point of the entire series for me. 

I thought the crazed Claire of Season 6 was more interesting than when she's 'normal.' I actually found her almost as much a waste of screentime as Charlie...ALMOST! 

I still absolutely love the finale and most of S6 in general. Even more unpopularly: I think the first two seasons are the worst, or at least the ones I'm less likely to want to rewatch. 

• Love 5

The pilot was amazing! I don't think we're too unpopular for feeling that way, though :) 

Another UO:

While Terry O'Quinn is brilliant, I don't love or even enjoy Locke nearly as much as most people do 

Argh---it's kind of sad how much I still miss this flawed but heart-stealing show! 

(edited)
And what really makes me bitter is that Jack and Sawyer had a very interesting dynamic. They had a chemistry that had nothing to do with Kate. We could have seen a lot more interaction from them. But it was always mostly about Kate.

Amen! I loved Jack and Sawyer as frenemies who gradually forged a certain amount of reluctant respect---and it's so frustrating that this potentially phenomenal dynamic was so often reduced to 'rivalry over the girl they both want to sleep with' instead. Argh. I so often daydream about a triangle-less LOST, where it was established early on without too much soapy drama and backtracking that, provided they could get themselves together (always a dicey proposition on this show, I'll admit!), Kate and Jack would be together and Juliet and Sawyer would be together. Or even Jack with Juliet (which I could actually see on some level---they had a fair amount in common and seemed to 'get' each other to an extent---I do actually like a lot of their S3-S4 interactions) and Kate with Sawyer (who, despite my previously documented complaints about them tapping into the darker, most dangerously impulsive, immature and selfish sides of each other's characters, did have physical chemistry and a lot in common) And I get that maybe Darlton was trying to illustrate how there are a lot of different people you can be genuinely in love with depending on the specific time, context, your stage of life, the needs you're looking to meet, etc. And that's true, but on a show that was already brimming over with so many (too many?!) characters, storylines and extremely lofty and complex themes, all the repetitive soapy "OMG, who will Kate end up with 4-eva?!" stuff just got so tiresome and made all the characters involved less likable and compelling for me. Honestly, regardless of which couples we do and don't happen to 'ship,  I'd have been in favor of them focusing less on romance in general! 

This article makes kind of an interesting 'case' for why all combinations of the quadrangle might work and not work, though the writer does believe Juliet and Sawyer should have ended up together. 

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/lost/lost-why-jack-should-be-with-k-27386.aspx

ETA: Oh, and just like I feel the quadrangle ended up making the Jack/Sawyer dynamic a lot less rich than it could have been, I actually would have liked to see an eventual, genuine friendship form between impulsive, tomboy-ish (initially), more-of-a-rough-and-tumble-pre-island life Kate with the more formally educated, poised, repressed, calculating, even keel Juliet. And I always enjoyed Kate so much more around female characters. *sigh* Is it too late to write a platonic fanfic about that which absolutely no one will read?! ;) 

I'll read that later but will say I don't agree that Sawyer wanted Kate when she came back to the island as stated in it's first sentence.

And maybe we cant start a fic thread here "How Lost should have worked: the fanfic"

• Love 1

Kalliste, just to clarify, I don't necessarily agree with everything that guy wrote either---I just thought it was a somewhat interesting read :) And I do think Sawyer was 'conflicted' once Kate popped back up on the island, though I try to ignore that, because as noted in my rambling post above, I just became so weary of the quadrangle-related drama. 

Oh I know, didn't mean to say you did :) I hate how one glance at Kate became a massive deal in the Dharma season. He had been with Juliet by that point longer than he had known Kate. I feel like it was blown massively out of proportion so Juliet would have an excuse to do something stupid so that Elizabeth Mitchell could go to V.

• Love 1

This is the place to list your favorite and least favorite aspects of the show, gushing and snarking along the way :) 

A few fun questions to kick us off:

1) Who were your 5-7 favorite characters?

2) Who were your 5-7 LEAST favorite characters? 

3) How would you rank the seasons from favorite to least favorite? 

4) What were your 10(ish!) favorite episodes? 

5) What were your favorite actual/would-be romantic relationships? 

6) What were your LEAST favorite romantic relationships?

7) What were your favorite friendships/frenemyships/non-romantic relationships?

• Love 1

1) Who were your 5-7 favorite characters? Sawyer, Juliet, Ben, Sayid, Boone, Locke, Libby, Rousseau, Alex
2) Who were your 5-7 LEAST favorite characters? KATE, JACK, CHARLIE, Clare, Shannon - the first three in caps because of high levels of dislike
3) How would you rank the seasons from favorite to least favorite? Hmm, 5, 1, 6, 4, 2, 3 - I think, I've always marathoned Lost so I get mixed up what happens in which seasons.
4) What were your 10(ish!) favorite episodes? I really couldn't name them. The only I can is The Long Con and The Constant.. I like most of Locke's backstory episodes though. Poor Locke.
5) What were your favorite actual/would-be romantic relationships? Juliet and Sawyer, I liked later season Sun and Jin, Desmond and Penny, Libby and Hurley
6) What were your LEAST favorite romantic relationships? Kate and everyone.
7) What were your favorite friendships/frenemyships/non-romantic relationships? hmm.. Hurley and Miles, Sawyer and Miles, Juliet and Jack, Alex and Rousseau, Rousseau and Sayid, Sun and Kate.

• Love 1