Type keyword(s) to search

Lost - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Okay, I'll start. After six years of scanning every scene looking for the numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42), I still don't know what the deal with them is.

They were already being broadcast from the radio tower back when Rosseau's crew arrived at the Island, in the 80s. They gave bad luck to those who used them to win gambling games (the guy from the Navy who killed himself, the one who ended up in the same mental institution as Hurley and, of course, Hurley himself). They were the code that had to be input into the computer at the Swan Station every 108 minutes lest the whole thing blew up. They were printed on the cover of the hatch for the Swan Station.

So... why? Why did they give back luck to people? Why did the Initiative bother to broadcast them? What was so meaningful and important about them?

• Love 3

I think my biggest why is 'why did Richard only get one episode?' I mean it was awesome that he did but only one? Right at the end?

And was the statue ever explained? How did the island ever need protecting? Who was there protecting it before Jacob, man in black and their 'mum'?

(edited)

What the actual deal is with the numbers is one of my pet peeves.  Also, WT EVERLOVIN' F was up with Walt astrally projecting himself all over the island?  Or was that Jacob messing around?  OR WAS THAT PART OF WALT'S SPECIALNESS??

Finally, why did no one ever feel the need to slap Kate repeatedly with a 3-day old dead fish whenever she decided to run out of her "cons" on the FORTY PEOPLE ON THE ISLAND?  I felt like slapping her every day I watched this show.  I don't know how they managed to not do it.

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 3

So many unanswered questions, it's tough to pick one. How about why was it that it was so vitally important that no-one but Claire raise Aaron? And what, precisely (if anything) resulted from his being in Kate's custody for his first years?

• Love 8

Discuss all kinds of relationships here - friendships, enemies, the dreaded triangle that became a quadrangle, etc...

I never liked the triangle, but not because I had a "side" and hated when the other side got focus. I just didn't like Jack, Sawyer or Kate when they were together whatever corner of that triangle. I liked Kate, until she was with Jack. I liked Sawyer except when he was with Kate. I liked the Sawyer and Jack relationship except when it was about the triangle. I think it just dragged them all down.

• Love 3
(edited)

What exactly was the explanation or purpose of Sayid dying and coming back to life at the end of Season 6?  They completely destroyed and wasted that character towards the end... it really annoyed me that he was reunited with Shannon in the "alternate universe/heaven/whatever it was" instead of Nadia.

There's so many unanswered questions in this show and dropped plot points in this show... I think what made it more annoying was how Cuse and Lindelof kept insisting they had a master plan on their very entertaining podcasts.  If they'd just admitted they were making things up as they go it might not have been so jarring when they couldn't pull anything together.

One really disappointing thing was how wasted the time travel elements were.  They built it up for three seasons and it turned out to be a big red herring.  I love time travel stories and the narrative potential of them and they pretty much did nothing with it.

I really loved this show for a while... I was completely captivated by it for the first five seasons or so.  But once it ended I've never once felt any kind of urge to revisit it.  It's a shame.

Edited by Ronin Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

Thank goodness for this thread. Whenever an article about the Lost finale springs up, the comments section inevitably fills with fans who decry those who criticized the show as not understanding the ending or having not paid attention to the answers. While I still think there are some questions that were left unanswered, my biggest gripe with the ending was that the answers it did provide were unsatisfactory and/or were inconsistent with what came before. I'll list my biggest ones here:

1. THE OTHERS. If I were to give an "award" for most disappointing--and inconsistent--storyline, it would be to the Others. They started off so intriguing. Native island dwellers who seemingly were supernatural and who would play a big role in the show's conclusion. Boy, was that impression wrong. Not only did the Others become less and less menacing, they also became less and less important to the story. I still don't understand what their purpose on the island was, why they bothered the losties, why one of them couldn't be the new Jacob, etc. And please don't get me started on the Temple Others-ugh, ugh, ugh.

2. Sayid's whole storyline in the last season, as mentioned above.

3. Claire's whole storyline in the last season.

4.The Smoke Monster and Jacob. The whole "why" of the show was one huge mess. Not only did it not make sense, but it was also cliched as fuck.

• Love 10

I was a fan of Jack and Kate, but the triangle was a mess both on and off the show. It detracted from other, better story lines and also derailed most online conversations.

Even though the show ending with Jack and Kate made sense to me, I still cannot believe the show runners dragged the triangle until the very last episode. If Kate loved Jack, then why was she upset to see Sawyer and Juliet together? If Sawyer loved Juliet, why did he look at Kate in that pivotal moment? The fact that the showrunners wanted to pander to both sets of fans created inconsistencies and watered all relationships involved. 

• Love 1

I couldn't stand Jack and Kate as characters but liked them together as a couple, mostly because I think they deserved each other and it meant that Juliet and Sawyer could be together.

I'm glad they were able to have so long together, even if we didn't see most of it and that they were a good influence on each other. Seeing Sawyer happy was so lovely. I was so sad with how the Dharma season ended.

I also enjoyed the Locke and Ben relationship even though it ended poorly.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

My feelings about this show tend to be weirdly complex and generally unpopular! If you, too, have opinions that you've found in your experience to be unpopular or just plain odd, this is the place to express them...while cheerily respecting everyone else's, of course :) I'll start with the biggest:

1. I love S6. Objectively, I get people's problems with it, but somehow it just really resonates with me anyway, and it's actually the season I'm most likely to ever rewatch. I'm fascinated by the idea of a 'flash sideways'/alternate universe, I loved watching Jack finally become a better, less broken man (and think they did a surprisingly good job with this leg of his journey), and adore the much-maligned finale beyond the telling of it. It's still one of my all-time favorite hours of TV. Besides, the mere fact that this season (mostly!) refrains from torturing us with the Show-Eating Love Triangle from Hell makes it an automatic favorite of mine ;) 

2. Jack drove me crazy sometimes (yeah, I realize that part isn't unpopular!), but I ended up loving him anyway and thought Matthew Fox did a fantastic and very underrated job with the role. I even found myself happy that Kate and Jack ended up together, much to my own profound surprise :) 

3. I never felt the love for Juliet. I actually think she was just as underwritten/inconsistently written as the far more reviled Kate, but actually found the actress who played Kate more likable. I never felt the equally popular Sun was a well-defined character either. Or Penny. Or---well, suffice it to say I think the female characterizations were pretty abysmal as a general rule. I think Libby was my favorite female character of the series, if only by default.  I also enjoyed Shannon more than most did---I felt like she was among the only female characters with an actual personality. 

4. I grew so very weary of Sayid's endless angst about Nadia. I hate in general how many of the trials and redemptive experiences on this show came down to romantic love when there were usually a zillion more interesting things to explore.  (Somehow I loved the finale despite the Noah's Ark-esque pairings in the church and tell myself the show never meant to imply that true happiness = romance and little else) 

5. Desmond bugged me. 

6. I despised Charlie since the Pilot and was thrilled when he left the show. 

I have more, but I'm hoping others will chime in!  

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 5

2. Jack drove me crazy sometimes (yeah, I realize that part isn't unpopular!), but I ended up loving him anyway and thought Matthew Fox did a fantastic and very underrated job with the role. I even found myself happy that Kate and Jack ended up together, much to my own profound surprise :)  

I like that Kate and Jack ended up together because they deserved each other. I wanted them to not be ruining other people.

My favourite season is S5, I'm not even sure how it rates on the popularity scale but I love getting to learn about Dharma.

I actually don't know what the unpopular opinions are :D So I might just have to read other peoples :)

• Love 1
My favourite season is S5, I'm not even sure how it rates on the popularity scale but I love getting to learn about Dharma.

Yeah, I hold the UO of preferring S4-S6 over S1-S3 overall...by a weirdly large margin, in fact! I've already confessed my love for S6, and I think S4 is actually the best season of the series. 

I like that Kate and Jack ended up together because they deserved each other. I wanted them to not be ruining other people.

Ha! I totally get it, but I ended up seeing a lot of chemistry and connection between them. And, weirdly enough, I never wanted nor expected Kate/Sawyer to end up together. I'm odd. :) 

• Love 1

I never wanted Sawyer and Kate to be together either. Sawyer was a better man with Juliet.

I thought it was a bit of a weak point for Juliet to change her mind because Sawyer looked at Kate when they were discussing love. As soon as I saw that glance though I was like "oh god, he's done it now!" I remember rewatching with my boyfriend (first time watching together) and he said "I don't get it" because I guess to most people it isn't a big deal :P

• Love 1

The best stretch of episodes was from "The Man from Tallahassee" to "There's No Place Like Home."

Season 4 was the best. It was short, no padding.Thank you, striking writers!

Season 5 was also good.

The only decent episodes in season 6 were "LAX" and "What They Died For".

None of the couples or triangles did a damn thing for me and I would've enjoyed the show even more without them at center stage. This includes Jin and Sun (My recap of Sun in season 6: "Have you seen my husband? I'm looking for my husband. Did you know I have a husband? I do! And I'm looking for him. Have you seen him? He's my husband.")

I could only have cared less about Desmond and Penelope if...wait...nope, could not have cared less at all.

Season 4 was the best. It was short, no padding.Thank you, striking writers!

I disagree with your popular dislike of S6 (though, yeah, LAX is definitely one of my favorites!), but I'm so with you on S4 being the best. And on... 

I could only have cared less about Desmond and Penelope if...wait...nope, could not have cared less at all.

God, yes. I couldn't have cared less about their super special epic love or either of them as individual characters. 

This includes Jin and Sun (My recap of Sun in season 6: "Have you seen my husband? I'm looking for my husband. Did you know I have a husband? I do! And I'm looking for him. Have you seen him? He's my husband."

HA! It's funny 'cause it's true. Only I'd unpopularly add that I don't think they (especially Sun) were given especially good material or character definition for the preceding five seasons either :) 

It's funny, because despite its flaws and missteps, I'm still really attached to this show. Among the people I know, my continued love for it (a conflicted love, but still!) seems to be the most unpopular opinion of all! 

• Love 1

It's funny, because despite its flaws and missteps, I'm still really attached to this show. Among the people I know, my continued love for it (a conflicted love, but still!) seems to be the most unpopular opinion of all! 

Haha I think you might be right, people either love or hate Lost and the ones that hate it think you're crazy

The show gave me so much pleasure, I will always love it even while fuming at its multitude of failings. I nitpick because I love! Among the major things I'd change if I could time travel: play by the rules of the mystery genre or don't play at all; Lindelof is not allowed near the internet.

On rewatches it always amazes me how little I like most of the characters. Each of them has moments when I do like them, even Charlie and Claire who I can barely tolerate alone or together, but for the most part I just want to smack them upside the head and/or tell them to STFU. So many assholes on one plane. Oceanic should screen their passengers better. Why did I keep watching, why do I still rewatch? In fact, I didn't keep watching. I gave up watching for a while because I was fast forwarding through entire episodes. When they announced that they had an ending date and a plan, I went back . The betrayal that was the finale stung but it didn't destroy the rest of the series for me because lots of it was fun and interesting independent of the outcome.

What stands out for me in the long run is that the show was so innovative in storytelling: the flashbacks (tedious though they became), flashforwards, flash sideways (tedious as they always were) as an integral part of every episode and used not just to move the plot but to develop character; Roshoman everything--each season has at least one crucial scene with multiple characters that is revisited throughout the season and shown from the point of view of a different character, usually as the starting point of their -centric episode; related to that, the really clever use of previous stories in the episode where Nikki and Paolo die; how often characters were doubled within episodes.

• Love 1

I think you're right @ABay most of the characters were terrible people.I always thought that was sort of why they were there, all linked in their horribleness and needed to better themselves on the island.

I actually really liked the flash sideways. I love seeing which characters are amazingly different and which are pretty much the same. I also love LaFleur :D

• Love 2
(edited)
I actually really liked the flash sideways.

I totally share this UO! I actually find it a lot more interesting and thought provoking than the flashbacks or even flash forwards. Oh, and that S6 episode with Sideways Sawyer and Miles as cops is pure gold IMUO. In fact, I far prefer Sideways Sawyer to the one we saw for most of the series.  

On rewatches it always amazes me how little I like most of the characters.

Ha! Yeah, I share this UO as well :) More than perhaps any other show I've ever loved, my attachment to Lost exists despite my opinion on the vast majority of the characters. Flawed characters are compelling, but many of Lost's tended to be messed up in repetitive, tiresome, increasingly uninteresting ways. (And nearly all of the female characters were, IMO, just too poorly defined to assess one way or the other; they tended to be whoever the plot needed them to be.) I actually hold the UO of preferring the Freighter Folks to most of our original Losties, in part because they weren't around long enough for me to annoy me as deeply!

I just love the show's ideas, themes, somewhat innovative plot structure and storytelling, and even the jaw-droppingly gorgeous scenery. I even love the music. It all captured my mind and heart beyond reason. 

@ABay, your posts on TWoP actually enhanced my appreciation and enjoyment of the show tremendously. Even when that pesky annoyance known as real life precluded me from keeping up with our rewatches, I'd always read your posts and find myself nodding along enthusiastically with your clever snark and insights. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1

Thank you kindly. It's tragic that my genius was lost to posterity when TWoP closed.

On the other hand, if there's a 10th anniversary rewatch here in the fall, only I will know how much I repeat myself and steal from others.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked season 5 a lot, particularly the time traveling part. I wish we got to see more of them flashing, rather then spending so much time with the oceanic six, who already had season 4 stuff.In season 6 I liked the island stuff, but hated the afterlife stories. And on a rewatch I fastforwarded all of them. Made the season much better.

Probably my most unpopular opinion was I didn't like Locke. He was okay in season 1 but went down hill from there. I was happy when Ben killed him.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think my biggest why is 'why did Richard only get one episode?' I mean it was awesome that he did but only one? Right at the end?

And was the statue ever explained? How did the island ever need protecting? Who was there protecting it before Jacob, man in black and their 'mum'?

I agree, Richard should have had more then one episode. I was okay with it being in season 6, but it should have been a two parter. The second part would cover him becoming what he was to the others, therefore explaining more about them. The statue was built by an ancient civilization that was pre-jacob getting to the island.

Not particularly important but who was firing at them in the canoe?

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

Jack and Kate were fine until Sawyer got thrown into the mix, imo.  Then the writers created unnecessary angst, and then they didn't know what to do with Sawyer because their end game was always going to be Jack and Kate, and so they added Juliet.  The character that suffered the most from the triangle was Kate because she was seen as the flip-flopper, and then once Jack moved on from her (after she slept with Sawyer), she wanted to get Jack back and . . . it was a mess.  It was one of the biggest writing mistakes of Lost - introducing the triangle.  It was unnecessary and went no where in the end.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I agree the triangle was horrible, especially in Season 2 and 3 (when it became a quadrangle), and it was one of their major weaknesses in writing.  I actually thought their endgame was going to be Kate and Sawyer.  Shows tend to go for that type of coupling as endgame.  I thought maybe they changed their mind when they lucked out on the chemistry between Sawyer and Juliet.  So it all worked out for the best, but like with most shows, by Season 6, they had dragged it out for way too long, so the whole Jack/Kate thing was ultimately unsatisfying. 

Edited by Camera One

I was a Sawyer FF so I didn't care who he ended up with . The only time I ever liked Kate was when she was with him. Ultimately, I did love him with Juliet and was happy they ended up being soulmates. I still tear up to this day when I watch the Sawyer/Juliet/vending machine scene from the finale. Loved that.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Ben unpopular opinion...I HATED him.  I don't mean loved to hate, I mean seething hatred that a rational person should NOT have for a fictional character lol.

I also despised that murderous bastard Sayid & could not understand the love or people finding him attractive.  Just ewwww, I always imagine that the grease that came off him when the plane went down left a giant ring around the ocean.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ohhhhh the vending machine scene.  That was a good one but I loved it more when Juliet was about to get pulled into the magnet hole and Sawyer came out of nowhere, grabbed her and said "Where do you think you're going blondie?"  He was gruff and he looked at Kate at the wrong (such a wrong) moment, but in that sentence was all the love he had for her.

And I say this as someone who pretty much hated Lost and hate watched my way through the series a few months ago.

Edited by ChlcGirl

Was there ever an explanation as to why Sawyer looked at Kate at that moment? 

So that Juliet could die and Elizabeth Mitchell could go and work on V?

Otherwise, because he's a dumbass? :P Was there any explanation why Juliet took it so damn seriously? It always seemed super out of character to me.

• Love 1

Charlotte was my favorite female character. I loved her introduction and her spunky persona and her hitting Kate over the head sealed the deal. So of course the had to kill her off and make her legacy all about Daniel. I loved Mader in the role but I wish they had switched genders on Daniel and Charlotte (or made them both women), making Faraday a woman would have scored some goodwill with the writers for their terribly one note stories for women, at least the ones they didn't kill off. Shannon could have really grown into something special, I think.

I think the only character I never actively disliked, apart from Charlotte, was Sun, mostly because there wasn't much there to either hate or love, tho she had a couple of good moments. Best moment ever on the show? Sun hitting Ben unconscious with a paddle. Too bad she wasn't awesome like that for the rest of the series. They totally wasted her flashforwards with Widmore and Ben.

I think Claire should've been the one to kill Locke In Black. After all those years with him she'd earned it.

• Love 1

I'm currently rewatching seasons 4 through 6 and just got to LAX pt 1. I haven't watched season 6 since it aired and I wondered if I was going to find it as frustrating as I did then now that I know what's gonna happen. The gang just arrived at the temple and I'm already irritated. The Others have always been trigger happy but when Dogen just arbitrarily orders his posse to shot our guys I just wanna smash my television. They're all just such massive jerks! Dogen's the fucking worst. Also, I can't stand Jacob. I don't understand Lindelof's love for writing asshole characters. He did the same thing with Prometheus.

Edited by joelene

So that Juliet could die and Elizabeth Mitchell could go and work on V?

Otherwise, because he's a dumbass? :P Was there any explanation why Juliet took it so damn seriously? It always seemed super out of character to me.

He was always giving Kate "a look" and Juliet looked like she gave up hope on Sawyer and their life together as soon as she returned. There was a glimmer of hope when they got on the sub but then Juliet's insecurities came flooding back. She overreacted for sure but you could see it coming a mile away, IMO. I know Kate had other priorities at the time and her and Sawyer had a long history but she was either clueless to Juliet's feelings or she just didn't give a damn. Edited by joelene

The sickness. What the hell?

People who apparently got it: Sayid, Claire, Rousseau's crew. Anyone else?

How you get it: Dying and coming back to life without the aid of the magic spring at the temple, hanging out with MIB(?).

Symptoms: Staring a lot, creepy smiles, blindly following orders from MIB in exchange for something promised (except sometimes, like when it comes to killing someone) (Sayid), getting crazy hair, not questioning (that we know) someone appearing as dead folk (Claire), trying to kill non-infected former friends (Rousseau's crew).

Cure: According to Dogen, the infected are the worst and must be destroyed. This implies no cure. There is no hope for them. Except both Sayid and Claire got better and stopped trying to kill old friends.

So, the sickness source seems to be the MIB. Did Sayid die before he reached the temple? I don't remember but I guess so since that place was the only place safe from MIB. If the sickness can only be contracted by death, does that mean Claire died at one point during her missing years? I for one would have loved seeing how that all happened. If not, how did she get it? She acted odd (tho content) at the cabin. Had she been infected already?! I'd like to know! I mean she acted just like Rousseau and she wasn't sick. She wasn't like Sayid. She was merely manipulated as far as the audience knows. How did MIB get her to forget that she willingly abandoned Aaron? He killed her and she forgot?

No matter, her and Sayid both got better pretty quick.

Conclusion: Dogen's a hack who should get his island medical practitioner license revoked. Or maybe Claire killed them all on the plane on their way off the island. Yeah, I think I'll go with that.

The sickness. What the hell?

Along the same lines what was the deal with people not being able to have babies? I am not sure they ever really explained that.

Also this is a little one but it always bugged me dating back to season 1. How the hell did a spoiled big city rich girl like Sun ever learn about gardening and natural medicine?

• Love 3

Along the same lines what was the deal with people not being able to have babies? I am not sure they ever really explained that.

Also this is a little one but it always bugged me dating back to season 1. How the hell did a spoiled big city rich girl like Sun ever learn about gardening and natural medicine?

Lol I never thought about that.. good question!

I think we were supposed to infer that the incident caused the baby problem. Massive amounts of radiation or electromagnetism or... something. I think the only thing we're certain of is that it wasn't it problem before the incident.

As for Sun, just because she was rich and spoiled doesn't mean she didn't have interests. She never seemed more shallow than anyone else to me. I don't know anything about Korean culture but I wouldn't be surprised if natural medicin is more common knowledge there than in Western countries.

Edited by joelene

I suppose the issue with Sun is that we never saw anything about her other than living it up in the apartment and walking the dog.. I also can't imagine her parents would have let her get dirty with 'the help' to learn that stuff.

She took Herbology at Korean Hogwarts before being found out as a muggle.

Lol it's probably more likely than whatever the truth happens to be.. assuming any of the writers ever actually thought through the background for the characters (other than what we already saw in the flashbacks)

Honestly, I think Sawyer and Kate were gonna be the endgame but fans really took to Sawyer and Juliet. Hence the two endgames we got.

Really my favorite part of the quadrangle was always Jack-Juliet.

I still think Jin-Sun were tops though.

• Love 1
I suppose the issue with Sun is that we never saw anything about her other than living it up in the apartment and walking the dog.. I also can't imagine her parents would have let her get dirty with 'the help' to learn that stuff.

Yeah, I think this would have been a natural flashback story for Sun.  Unfortunately, the writers really got stuck in a rut and all her flashbacks S3 had to do with infidelity or lying, and then the traditional flashback structure was basically gone for the original Losties S4 onwards.  

It was also a shame when the show moved away from survival to total sci-fi or fighting an enemy 24/7, since skills like gardening and fishing became unimportant.  The show lost its community feeling.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So I decided to watch a few episodes today: Lockdown, A Tale of Two Cities, and The Man from Tallahassee. I had to stop there or I would've gorged on The Man Behind the Curtain all the way through There's No Place Like Home.

Maybe I already knew this but this time it really clicked that Henry had time to get a message out to Tom or whoever that it was time to move the plan along.

In Tale, there is so much emblematic of the show in that opening scene: opening eye, mystery stranger who's about to become major player, a crucial scene that will be revisited from different POVs throughout the season and into another, Ben in a striped shirt...

Tallahassee is my favorite episode, or at least tied with TNPLH, and I could watch the Locke-Ben scenes on a loop forever. All the symbolism of the wheelchair. And giant hamsters, too.

• Love 2

This weekend, I watched The Brig and The Man Behind the Curtain, which contain some prime Ruthless!Ben moments. Harold from POI should take notes.

Two of my favorite moments are the sudden violence of Ben cracking Anthony upside the head with the cane and shooting John. But I also adore the look he gives Alex when she hands Locke the gun. Heh.

• Love 1

I am rewatching, and I have to share the unpopular opinion of loving Shannon. Her little comments about Boone like calling him Captain America are great. Plus, as much as I would like to think I would be helpful in a survival situation, her screaming and panic on the beach is probably how I would really act.

Charlie was and is highly irritating.

I like Kate more on rewatching so far. I reserve my right to withdraw my statement at a later date though, ha!

I am pretty grossed out by Sawyer on rewatch. He was never my favorite, but he borderline sexually harasses the women in the beginning, particularly Kate. I don't see the chemistry between the two of them and never really did. I wish they had gone with a Jack, Kate, and Sayid triangle if they were going to do one, I see something between Kate and Sayid early on, which I don't think is a popular opinion.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
  • Love 1

I like Desmond, and the Desmond and Penny romance is the only fully successful one on the show IMO. 

But, I think Desmond is way overrated as a character, and I think The Constant is extremely overrated as an episode. It's not bad, but as far as LOST goes that was average at best. I've never understood why people (including D&C) loved that episode so much. I also feel they shoehorned Desmond into the last season when he didn't really belong, he should have left the show after leaving the island and reuniting with Penny, his story was over.

• Love 1