Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E05: Week 4: Most Memorable Year

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Star vs. the Forces of Evil (TV Series)
Justin Towers

- Collateral Damage/Just Friends (2017) ... Justin Towers (voice)

2011 Hawaii Five-0 (TV Series)
Tyler

- Powa Maka Moana (2011) ... Tyler

2010 The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (TV Series)
Ronnie

- Episode #6.85 (2010) ... Ronnie

2007 Rise: Blood Hunter
Dwayne

2006 The Hard Easy
Jason Burns

2006 Twins (TV Series)
Charlie

- Himbo (2006) ... Charlie

2006 She Said/He Said (TV Movie)

2005 Bewitched
Vietnam Soldier

2004 Hope & Faith (TV Series)
Chris

- Just-In Time (2004) ... Chris

2004 Charmed (TV Series)
Leslie St. Claire

- Once in a Blue Moon (2004) ... Leslie St. Claire

- Styx Feet Under (2004) ... Leslie St. Claire

- Charrrmed! (2004) ... Leslie St. Claire

- Cheaper by the Coven (2004) ... Leslie St. Claire

- The Bare Witch Project (2004) ... Leslie St. Claire

Show all 6 episodes

2004 Hot Momma (TV Movie)
Cooper

2004 I'm with Her (TV Series)
Tyler Vance

- I'm Not with Her (2004) ... Tyler Vance

2004 American Dreams (TV Series)
Tom Jones

- To Tell the Truth (2004) ... Tom Jones

He also hosted VH-1's old morning show, Big Morning Buzz Live a couple of years ago. And 98 Degrees went on the My2K tour, a multi-artist tour, in 2016. But they never toured with Backstreet Boys like I had thought. 98 Degrees is also releasing a new Christmas album later this month & going on tour to promote it starting in early November.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct some info.
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Jordan, like Zendaya, will probably be a big star with or without the show. Everyone else will probably go back to d-list land. He probably cares less whether he wins or not. I don't see a desperation vibe with him like some other contestants, so who knows.

Reading Zendaya and "big star" in the same sentence cracks me up!  Jordan has that "it" factor.  I think he has the potential for great success.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But the problem is the show is trying to package Nick and Vanessa as this great love story and it's a hard sell because Nick and Jessica were a pretty famous celebrity couple. 

They're also trying to sell Maks and Peta as this great love story and I don't know that anyone but her fans are buying it. LOL

2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Are you saying that Maks and Peta are having problems? Maks had forced interaction with his wife??? I didn't see any of the red carpet interviews.

I'm saying his interactions with her looked phony to me. Of course that may be biased by several of the tabloids having photos this past week of what appeared to be them arguing.

• Love 3

Jordan is nowhere close to bringing the biggest “star” on this cast. Derek Fisher, Nikki Bella, Drew Scott, T.O and Frankie Muniz are all far bigger “stars” than Jordan Fisher. The difference of course is that none of them are trained dancers unlike Jordan so of course he’s favourite to beat them all in a dancing competition. It depends what you know and who you know, for me personally the two biggest “stars” of the cast when I found out the lineup were Derek and Nikki. I bet Nikki for one earns more in a month than Jordan earns in a year and that won’t change if she gets eliminated next Monday and Jordan goes on to win the whole show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Callaphera said:

Well, just because you may not follow those celebrities doesn't mean they aren't successful in their own right. 

For instance, Nikki Bella is the longest reigning WWE Diva's champion (they've since renamed the title to Women's Champion). She's engaged to one of the biggest WWE stars in recent history and stars on two successful reality shows, the second of which was a spin-off of the first and is based strictly around her and her family. She's hella successful and has a huge fan base that caters to younger girls with her Fearless branding. She's a crap wrestler, though her sister was probably worse, but she makes a ton of money (both for her and the WWE), does a lot of charity work, and is one of the faces of the female side of the WWE brand. 

Does that make her an A Lister in the grand scheme of things? Nope. But within her world, she would be considered an A Lister. And she had an enormous fan base, both because of herself and because of John Cena. The one thing she has against her is that DWTS is on at the same time and day as WWE Raw, their flagship show. (For full disclosure, I only watch Wrestlemania every year but I watch the hell out of Total Divas and Total Bellas because I love me some cheesy scripted "reality" shows.)

Nick Lachey isn't an A Lister, but he's certainly not a D Lister. I would argue that his appeal is more nostalgic than anything. I can't comment on Terrell Owens or Derek Fisher because I'm a hockey fan but I imagine they would be considered in the A to B Lister range within their worlds. In fact, I would argue that most of the celebrities fall into the B range if you look at it from an overall perspective, but A to high B Listers within their own circles. 

Also, this is Dancing with the Stars. They're never going to have A Listers. Those would be people like George Clooney or Leonardo DiCaprio. You're never gonna see those people on this show. Just because you're not an A Lister doesn't mean that you're a D Lister. And just because you don't follow someone doesn't mean they're not famous, known, or successful in their own right. 

Nick Lachey even a b lister mwah that’s funny and you’re right I don’t follow Nikki Bella now or ever in the future 

On 10/11/2017 at 7:01 PM, Emily-D said:

Jordan is nowhere close to bringing the biggest “star” on this cast. Derek Fisher, Nikki Bella, Drew Scott, T.O and Frankie Muniz are all far bigger “stars” than Jordan Fisher. The difference of course is that none of them are trained dancers unlike Jordan so of course he’s favourite to beat them all in a dancing competition. It depends what you know and who you know, for me personally the two biggest “stars” of the cast when I found out the lineup were Derek and Nikki. I bet Nikki for one earns more in a month than Jordan earns in a year and that won’t change if she gets eliminated next Monday and Jordan goes on to win the whole show.

I don’t follow any of those people now or ever, none of them interest me in the least however Jordan who has some interesting artistic talent is someone I'd be more inclined to follow in the future, for these contestants that’s what the show is about. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

They're also trying to sell Maks and Peta as this great love story and I don't know that anyone but her fans are buying it. LOL

I'm saying his interactions with her looked phony to me. Of course that may be biased by several of the tabloids having photos this past week of what appeared to be them arguing.

I don't think anyone really cares that much about Maks anymore. It's not like they got huge ratings since his return. People watch for the stars, not the pros. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't think anyone really cares that much about Maks anymore. It's not like they got huge ratings since his return. People watch for the stars, not the pros. 

I think there are people who watch for the pros --- some of them (Val, for instance) have huge fan bases. But I don't think Maks is one of the pros people watch for anymore. The majority of his current fan base seems to consist of Peta's fans who tolerate him because he married their queen.

If their are fans who only watch for the pros, it will be for all of them not just one although I’m sure everyone has their favourites including myself. The only pro I genuinely believe had so many fans, that some stopped watching DWTS because he wasn’t on it anymore was Derek. I don’t think anyone would stop watching if Val left and of the pros left he obviously has the biggest individual fanbase. In terms of star power yes it is difficult for DWTS to cast and I appreciate that, especially actors and musicians, because they know if they do the show and come out of it badly (either can’t dance or have a bad attitude etc) then it may seriously hurt their future career prospects. On the plus side, if you come off well then the show can be a fantastic springboard for young actors/actresses or musicians like Zendaya. It’s much easier to cast athletes who are considered big stars in their field (this season Derek and Nikki fall into this category). They are normally far happier to do the show because they know that they could suck, have a bad attitude, get eliminated week one, but they can just go back to their day job without any damage to their careers other than a nice big paycheck. Look at Floyd Mayweather back in the early seasons as a perfect example. A SuperBowl MVP isn’t going to get sacked by his NFL team because he sucked on DWTS. That’s why DWTS has the ability to cast some of the best athletes in the world but always struggle to cast well known actors, tv personalities or musicians.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, escape said:

The original premise of the show was suppose to be about celebrities who had no professional dance experience and training.

YMMV - the original premise of the show was and still is, teaching celebrities to ballroom dance. It became accepted as fact, because it was repeated ad nauseum throughout the years, that it was about teaching celebrities with no professional dance experience, to dance. The show has never billed itself as such. Viewers, right from the start, just decided that they liked the celebrity who had no experience and one where they could see the "journey" and so at some point it became, "the show was supposed to about people with no dance experience". 

• Love 8

DWTS doesn't have rules, so it can be about whatever you want, and personally I like to see new talent, not celebrity careers on life support. For me it's kind of pathetic to watch someone like Tom Delay dance.  I also like to see athletes who can do well being coached. I was happy to support 16 year old Zendaya because she is talented, and she had a career on the rise. So me and I guess a lot of people who voted for her can say "I remember when she was on DWTS that's the first time I took notice of her and now look at where she is"  Just like I was happy to support James Hinchcliffe a relatively new Indy race car driver also with talent in his sport and on the dance floor.

And yeah, the original premise is that the show was about celebrities learning ballroom and latin who didn't have ballroom dance experience. That premise was blown apart in season 9 when stiff old Donny Osmond first denied and then had to admit he had a private ballroom dance coach for his Vegas show.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Emily-D said:

The only pro I genuinely believe had so many fans, that some stopped watching DWTS because he wasn’t on it anymore was Derek.

I agree. And I say that with no favorite pro.

I don’t think anyone would stop watching if Val left

Right again.  Maks left and no one cared until he came back, and all PR crap started, AGAIN

4 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Derek Fisher turned down more money than Jordan will ever make,,,just my guess. When someone offers you 21 million (years ago) you're famous. It might be just in sports, but he is famous. Same with Terrell.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Can anybody tell me, did Nick sing live to Vanessa's dance? I didn't actually see the dance (I check them out on YouTube to see them) but I was wondering if he did since he & Peta danced before Vanessa & Maks & he probably could've sung live if he &/or Vanessa wanted.

I was watching for that. Nick was shown in the skybox right after Vanessa's finished her dance. It didn't look to me like he sang his song live.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

I was watching for that. Nick was shown in the skybox right after Vanessa's finished her dance. It didn't look to me like he sang his song live.

I suppose it makes sense he could've asked them to use a recording, even though he was there as a fellow competitor & could've done it live--especially since he was finished with his own routine before Vanessa did hers--because given the story used with Vanessa's dance (the premature birth of their youngest child, & youngest son), he might've gotten too emotional to make it through the song. Didn't Vanessa say it was even hard for her not to get emotional during the dance because of what it represented?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Callaphera said:

And the stupid red balloon. That was a little too much for me. Especially with the yellow dress, because all I could think of was poor Georgie in IT (the remake had a poster of Pennywise handing Georgie a red balloon). We all float down here, eh, Mark?

It was a Banksy reference not Pennywise - even Len picked up on it.  You can google Banksy images if you like.

• Love 1

Y'all need to stop jabbing at each other.  Stick to the topic, aka what happened in the episode ONLY.  Neither the contestants' degree of celebrity nor other celebrities (some of whom have never been on the show) is not on topic.

• Love 3

This week's performances:

Spoiler

Opening number (FYI - very little dancing but I included it just in case you are super hardcore):

Frankie & Witney - quickstep

Terrell & Cheryl - waltz

Nick & Peta - contemporary

Nikki & Artem - contemporary

Lindsey & Mark - waltz

Jordan & Lindsay - contemporary

Derek & Sharna - jazz

Sasha & Gleb - foxtrot

Vanessa & Maks - rumba

Victoria & Val - foxtrot

Derek & Emma - jive

• Love 2

I always have mixed feelings about most memorable week. I gt tired of the sob stories, but I also feel bad that the celebs are expected to trot out their sob stories in exchange for emotionally manipulative dances and higher scores.

I feel for the people who bare their pain. But on the other end of the spectrum, I respect when the celebs choose something that isn't a total sob story. Sasha will almost definitely be in the bottom/be eliminated next week because her story wasn't sad enough. I think in reality, 2016 was a really emotional year for her but she just stated the facts: her show ended, she gained weight, and she got engaged. She didn't describe the first two things in a sob story kind of way, and I appreciated that although she was honest about the circumstances, she was very matter of fact about it instead of trying to spin the stories for sympathy. I thought her actual dancing was pretty good this week which makes it even more pathetic that her jazz routine last week sucked so much. It's becoming obvious that Gleb is not doing a great job choreographing for her which is a pity since she seems to have the potential to learn.

Oh, Frankie. I know he mentioned the memory loss earlier in the season but DAMN. I'm glad that he and his girlfriend write everything down each night so that he will have a record of his life. I don't think he's the best dancer that's ever been on the show but he is pretty good which is elevated by his clear joy at being there. It also helps that he isn't stompy or heavy footed.

Drew's blue satin suit was horrible. I know the jive is often one of the trickier dances because it requires so much precision and energy, but that outfit was not helping matters. I still think he's clunkier and more awkward than the other male celebs but I guess the judges love him.

Jordan was great as usual. Like Sasha, I like that he was pretty matter of fact about his story. He obviously left out a lot of details that could have been used for sympathy, so I really respect that he told his story without trying to make it a "poor me" story. His story was all about the gratitude he has for being loved and adopted, not about feeling sorry for himself or blaming his birth parents. Whenever he speaks, he strikes me as very mature, articulate, and likable.

Poor Derek. He and his daughter were so sweet so I felt doubly bad that he was eliminated this week.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Drew's blue satin suit was horrible. I know the jive is often one of the trickier dances because it requires so much precision and energy, but that outfit was not helping matters. I still think he's clunkier and more awkward than the other male celebs but I guess the judges love him.

I loathed the Property Brothers' outfits and Emma's too. They must have had a bolt of that blue satin sitting in some corner and finally decided to use it!

Len's critique of Drew on Week 1 was one of the most scathing, least compassionate things I've ever seen Len do on this show, and that's saying a lot. Totally unnecessary for Week 1 Dance 1. Drew looked shocked and rightly so. Now, had he danced well? Not great, not horrible, but not even a word was said by Len like "At least you came out here and gave it your all" or anything. Just criticism. 

Drew has put in the work and has improved every week (the same cannot be said of all the celebs) and if he's getting nicer comments now, it's because of that improvement arc. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Callaphera said:

And the stupid red balloon. That was a little too much for me. Especially with the yellow dress, because all I could think of was poor Georgie in IT (the remake had a poster of Pennywise handing Georgie a red balloon). We all float down here, eh, Mark?

11 hours ago, Uke said:

It was a Banksy reference not Pennywise - even Len picked up on it.  You can google Banksy images if you like.

The red balloon is also referenced in the song's lyrics ("Anchor" by Mindy Gledhill).  That's a favorite song of Lindsey's.  She even used it in one of the videos she posted on her YouTube channel where she talked about her life.  I guess it has become even more special to her in relation to what she said in the package about her father.  Mark has said he always uses the song as a basis and works out from there.   

• Love 1

I still think {Drew's} clunkier and more awkward than the other male celebs but I guess the judges love him.

The audience loves him and, I suspect, the voters. Property Brothers is the number one show on HGTV (for some unfathomable reason) and I strongly suspect their target audience has a lot of crossover with Dancing with the Stars.

Len's critique of Drew on Week 1 was one of the most scathing, least compassionate things I've ever seen Len do on this show, and that's saying a lot. 

I noticed that too and I was a little stunned. It wasn't actually half bad, it just lacked finesse. Possibly Len was put off by the perception that Drew was an audience favorite right out of the gate. He was the first announced contestant this season.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2017 at 10:12 PM, McManda said:

I guessed it was only a matter of time before Jonathan danced with Drew. I didn't think it would be so early but ... I'm not mad it happened. 

Me either and I guess now we know for sure they were wanting the brother vs brother angle, only he wouldn't bite!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Legalgirl82 said:

The red balloon is also referenced in the song's lyrics ("Anchor" by Mindy Gledhill).  That's a favorite song of Lindsey's.  She even used it in one of the videos she posted on her YouTube channel where she talked about her life.  I guess it has become even more special to her in relation to what she said in the package about her father.  Mark has said he always uses the song as a basis and works out from there.   

Oh yes, thanks. I wasn't even thinking about the lyrics, caught up in the emotion as I was.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AmbrosiaL said:

Me either and I guess now we know for sure they were wanting the brother vs brother angle, only he wouldn't bite!

For me I'm glad it's done with. These guys are always "on"  ... sigh.

Edited by Andie1
On 10/11/2017 at 1:58 PM, iMonrey said:

There's nothing "wrong" with it, per se, but it's emotionally manipulative in the extreme. That bothers me. A dance in itself can be emotional whether it's a Foxtrot or a Jive or a Rumba, but when the whole package is book-ended with the story of the dead dad and then the dancer is dressed as the dead dad, good grief. That's about a subtle as an anvil falling on your head. It screams "we're going to make you cry!"

I respectfully disagree that the clothing worn by Mark in representing Lindsey's father was "emotionally manipulative in the extreme."  I think the inclusion of Mr. Stirling's own hat and scarf was a lovely tribute to him, but the fact that I cried during the dance had nothing to do with the way Mark was dressed.  It was really (a) what Lindsey and her mother said in the package about Mr. Stirling and his passing; (b) the way Lindsey talked about her father teaching her that being different is okay; and (c) the way her words (and her father's words) completely meshed with the song's lyrics, that had me crying.  Lindsey has said she felt like she was dancing with her father.  I thought the dance was beautiful and touching; and I wouldn't change a thing about it.             

Mileage varies, and all that, but I think physically including contestants' children in dances and the torching of a *piano* represent the extreme in the "emotionally manipulative" department of this show.  

Edited by Legalgirl82
Fix spelling on last use of Lindsey and clarify last sentence as to children.
  • Love 3

I'm reading through this thread and I find it hilarious that I am seeing so many posts on how Sasha was so forgettable, yet take the time to make the point that Sasha's dance was so forgettable, when very few people have brought up Nikki, or if they have they referred to her as "the wrestler."