Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E05: Week 4: Most Memorable Year

• Start Topic

Nick and Vanessa are two of the smartest ppl on this show. They are determined to revitalize their careers.

They've got Nick singing. Check.

And lots of family footage of Nick and Vanessa. (Hence helping the public forget the newlyweds. ;))

Oh, yeah, and they danced well too. I predict Vanessa replaces Erin as co-host in 4,3,2...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I wasn't the biggest fan of D. Fish but others should have gone home before him, for sure.

Fully agree but I understand why he went. He was forgettable, because he kept getting stuck with average scoring routines early in the running order and people didn’t vote. Got sacrificed to keep the married couple narrative going strong. Nikki will be next, she’s another one that goes in the first hour pretty much every show.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Emily-D said:

Fully agree but I understand why he went. He was forgettable, because he kept getting stuck with average scoring routines early in the running order and people didn’t vote. Got sacrificed to keep the married couple narrative going strong. Nikki will be next, she’s another one that goes in the first hour pretty much every show.

...which just reminded me that whoever the singer was tonight murdered Fight Song, and not in a good way.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

...which just reminded me that whoever the singer was tonight murdered Fight Song, and not in a good way.

That wasn’t the only song they murdered as well. If DWTS want to cost cut, get rid of the live band/singers and just play the tracks. I’ve lost count of the amount of dances affected this season due to that band/singers.

Edited by Emily-D
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

I predict Vanessa replaces Erin as co-host in 4,3,2...

That would be enough to make me stop watching the show permanently. 

I read somewhere that they were considering her for the co-hosting job on DWTS Jr, not Erin's job, but she probably lost it with all that went on last week.

• Love 3

I know people hate her for whatever reason but I’m really enjoying Vanessa.

I don't hate Vanessa, I rather enjoy her dancing, I haven't care for her mommy stuff, but after hearing her baby boy, I'll give her a little break. Put me down as another who didn't care for Maks black, sheer shirt.

I've enjoyed Lindsey & Mark for the past 2 weeks, she's growing on me. I cried, I was 50 when my dad died and 57 when my mom died, stories about parents and grandparents dying are going to get to me. But it was a good dance.

I enjoyed Jordan & Lindsay dance too, he may be a ringer, but it's not always a bad thing, I liked watching him dance and he's such an attractive young man.

I almost like Gleb for not sexying up all their dances, I just wish he'd do a better job with Sasha, I think she could handle more.

Frankie is just a joy, I wish I could have watched it more when it was on, got distracted by dog outside and rain storm moving in.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I read somewhere that they were considering her for the co-hosting job on DWTS Jr, not Erin's job, but she probably lost it with all that went on last week.

There's just something about Vanessa that is slightly obnoxious, cloying, cutesy, attention-seeking for my taste.  It's not super overt, but it's there enough to tip the scales for me -- I'm not a fan and would never watch if she were the co-host.  

• Love 6

I haaaate Sob Story Night. Haaaate.

That being said, Frankie's package was surprising because my husband has much of the same issues (a diagnosed stroke before I met him and multiple concussions from a lifetime of playing hockey and being an adventurous kid). The journal bit was the most interesting to me but the husband's memory loss is more short term than long term - both are affected, however - so I guess it'll just continue to be a lifetime of note writing for me. Seriously, so many notes. 

But still. Haaaate Sob Story Night. 

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The return of the Band Butchers. This time, they butcher Queen. Maybe they need to stay away from the classics and use recordings when necessary. 

I don't even remember what the dance was that went to that song because I literally sat there ranting about how what they did should be illegal. Freddie Mercury must be spinning in his grave. 

1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

FFed through TO, Nick and someone else, I can't remember who. Oh yeah, Gleb.  Has Gleb just suddenly de-sexualized his dances?  Is that because he's with a large girl?  Maybe I'm wrong, because god knows, I can't watch a  whole Gleb dance -- or even half of one for that matter.

He also can't dress her very well. I realize that they usually stick to what I assume are somewhat proper costumes for the dances: rumbas are always the one piece bathing suit with artfully draped scarf thingie, jive usually has the poofed out skirt, that sort of thing. But the dress she was put in tonight, while symbolic for the dance and somewhat appropriate for the style, did her absolutely no favours. It took away her waist and it made her look like she shot just straight down from below her breasts to her thighs. Would it have killed them to fade in a darker colour of sequins at that point to make her waist more defined? I love her body shape, I realize she's not happy with it but I think she rocks those curves. I just wish Gleb's costume choices rocked them as hard as she does. (Same as the chef costume from last week. Just no.)

9 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

There's just something about Vanessa that is slightly obnoxious, cloying, cutesy, attention-seeking for my taste.  It's not super overt, but it's there enough to tip the scales for me -- I'm not a fan and would never watch if she were the co-host.  

I wasn't a fan of hers when she was hosting Wipeout either (what? Don't judge me). It always seems to stick out to me that when she says "my husband and the father of my children, Nick" you can hear the unspoken "my husband (who was a member of 98 Degrees) and the father of my children (because I'm a MOOOOOMMY), Nick (Lachey). (Aren't you jealous?)."

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 8

They should have re-title this one Crying with the Stars.

They sure low-balled Nick on the scores.  Everyone else got no less than an 8 it seemed and he was getting 7s when he was doing moves out there none of the other guys could possibly do.  Which makes sense since he's basically a pro dancer himself.

I liked Lindsey Stirling.  I thought thematically it was the best of the night, along with Victoria's I guess.  I had the pleasure of seeing her in concert in San Francisco last year and she is very genuine.

Terrell's story just gutted me. Seriously.

I had an older relative that  was very special to me. I dissolved into tears when his story started. And, by the end, when he said " I miss her " I was in a heap on the floor sobbing. I felt his pain.

I like Vanessa and I like Nick. 

Peta looked pissed all night and who the hell cares about Mr. See Through Shirt. He can leave anytime and take the pit stained shirt with him. The man has no class.

Sorry to see Derek go.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Callaphera said:

I don't even remember what the dance was that went to that song because I literally sat there ranting about how what they did should be illegal. Freddie Mercury must be spinning in his grave. 

That gurgling noise you heard was my brain melting.  You just can't do that to Queen!  Hire a DJ and be done with it.  It's so unfair that some people get to dance to the original track and others are hobbled by the ear splitting, off key renditions set forth by the band.

• Love 3

Not at all shocked Derek went. Found him forgettable each week.

Lindsey could've and should've gotten a 10 but because it was a Ballroom dance, she didn't.

Hate Contemporary on MMY night cause it's basically an easy dance for ringers. Called Jordan getting 10s for it last week when the style was announced for him. I don't understand why he's getting little to no backlash but god forbid a gymnast or female singer (Simone or Normani for example) danced well and got crucified each week for having a background.

Thinking back I don't think a single male ringer has EVER gotten backlash. Jordan danced well but that's what happens when a Contemporary trained dancer does Contemporary. All 9's would've sufficed.

Vanessa got underscored. Girl did a triple spin into a drop and got a 24.

My theory is that it'll be announced that next week is a double elimination to bring the couples from 10 to 8, just in time for team dances on Week 6 as usual, and with a bunch of couples having the same score, we are likely to lose someone good because the judges can't actually judge properly on MMY.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 1

They sure low-balled Nick on the scores.  Everyone else got no less than an 8 it seemed and he was getting 7s when he was doing moves out there none of the other guys could possibly do.

He was? Because it pretty much looked like your regular DWTS paint by numbers contemporary, where the celeb just flails around dramatically with average to maybe decent technique. Not to mention the very obvious shakiness in one of the turns, that I think Len called out.

Which makes sense since he's basically a pro dancer himself.

He is? Because so far he's doing an excellent job of hiding that fact. I guess some are still insisting on the myth that because 98 Degrees was a boy band, they were these excellent dancers? YMMV they weren't.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 11

It's funny, because I do not usually have a totally objective opinion. But I had been out of the country for 2 weeks and had not watched any previous shows of this season. I really don't know who the majority of stars are, I don't know who the ringers are and I have not heard any of the gossip. I missed the first 2 dances, but I was surprised that there were no duds in the 8 I saw. My favorite was definitely Jordan. I also liked Lindsey a lot. I think the others were all in the 8 range. Sasha did nothing for me. Vanessa seems sincere about her family. I found Victoria's story quite amazing.

Does Jordan have past dance experience? I know he is a singer, but that's all I know. I would be happy for Lindsay if they win, she is a sweetie.

9 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I will miss Derek, he is a class act.

I can't believe Mark dressed up as Lindsey's dad. No words. Well, none that are nice.

Derek is a lovely person but this is such a talented field, and his dances didn't stand out to me. Wish him well though. 

I too thought that was very tasteless. I was thinking about that later and thought how lovely it would have been if she and Mark had danced (Mark in a nice suit) and at the very end, she had put on the hat and scarf and walked off the stage. Also I *think* her hair, outfit, and make-up was supposed to make her look like a little girl? Except that Lindsey often has her hair in two ponytails/pigtails so it didn't look like a wardrobe choice, just her regular hair. 

• Love 1

Thinking back I don't think a single male ringer has EVER gotten backlash. Jordan danced well but that's what happens when a Contemporary trained dancer does Contemporary. All 9's would've sufficed.

You are somehow forgetting Mario Lopez then.  That was my first season and I just barely knew who Lopez was, but loved his dancing.  Also my first season on TWoP -- the haters were vitriolic as I recall.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Why would she lose a potential job because her partner was unprofessional?  We have yet to hear even a rumored hint of wrongdoing on Vanessa's part. 

Anyway, that aside, I know Nick should probably be next to go but I don't hate him.  I understand why people find the married couple antics annoying and I get it, but last night was a night that was begging for it.  One thing that I actually like about Nick is while he's not a great dancer, he throws himself into these sometimes ridiculous routines and doesn't take himself too seriously.  He really full out tries.  I didn't, but I was also actually tempted to throw him a few votes for having one of the few non-sad stories.  Though I realize he really got double stories with Vanessa's as well.

I actually really like Sasha has a human being. I just forget about her as a dancer.  She's not bad but she doesn't particularly stand out.  Not sure if it's Gleb or just her own general talent level.

You are somehow forgetting Mario Lopez then.  That was my first season and I just barely knew who Lopez was, but loved his dancing.  Also my first season on TWoP -- the haters were vitriolic as I recall.  

I'll own that.  I was there then and I HATED Mario that season.  Though it wasn't so much because he was a ringer but because of his own smarmy awful attitude and Karina being new to the game didn't understand how the show worked yet either and had her own attitude.  That said, it's an out and out lie for someone to say that male ringers have never gotten backlash on this show.  Maybe not often to Heather levels, but it happens.  Mario being the #1 example.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 4

Frankie brings me so much joy. Finally someone with not just the hard work and personality people vote for but he also has skills. In the past the "work hards" lasted far longer than they should have on good will and maybe one decent dance *coughBASEBALL DUDE FROM LAST SEASONcough* I really want Frankie and Whitney to win the whole thing

• Love 3

And Sasha can go after the wrestler.  She just kind of blends in for me.  Her dances have not stood out.  Really, other than Lindsey, this is a weak group of females.  Vanessa is okay, but not worthy of the hype she has gotten.  And don't get me started on Victoria.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, sab85 said:

I will say that there is no one on this season that I cringe when they dance. However I wasn't a fan of a couple of the early dances. Nikki was great when she was on the silks but once she got off of them it was very step-by-step. Go here. Jump. Wait for Artem. There was no flow.

I thought the choreography for this was awful. Just awful. At the point in the song where the singer is talking about taking her life back, Artem had Nikki completely relying on him to do any movement. There was a total disconnect between the lyrics and the movement that ruined any chance that dance had of being powerful or memorable in a good way. That chorus was when Nikki needed to show her strength and Artem completely botched the choreography there.

12 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I continue to want to like and care about Victoria far more than I do and in fact, I actually tend to forget she's there. I was seriously wondering why they left Drew's performance for last since he's clearly one of the "middle of the pack" celebrities because I completely forgot that Victoria hadn't danced. I don't know what it is but I'm just never as moved or touched as I feel like I'm supposed to be, regarding her and her dancing. Don't get me wrong, power to that woman and all she's been through and continue to thrive girl. But yeah, she and Val leave me cold. Like they could be eliminated (won't happen anytime soon) and I'd just shrug. 

Yeah, I don't get it either. When she's in the interviews talking, I'm blown away by her but the moment she steps on the dancefloor I lose interest. She's a good, solid dancer but I'm not feeling the dancing. I do think a huge part of that is that every week so much of the focus has been on her legs and so little on just the regular rehearsal stuff that shows a bond between partners. On one hand, giving Victoria four weeks of MMY probably helped her stand out to the audience but I think it might have done a disservice to the pairing. And I can't think of anyone who has managed a win without being in a strong partnership.

12 hours ago, spanana said:

Maks is lucky this was story week and the package was about Vanessa and not their drama.

I thought the same thing. There wasn't really space to show rehearsals so we as an audience didn't see how things are between them. By the time we might next week, enough time will have gone by that there probably won't be too much drama. He was very lucky.

8 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

We obviously don't know what happened last week, but it seems like Maks was the unprofessional one and if that caused Vanessa to lose a job that's ridiculously unfair.

I was glad when Erin stood up for herself with Len. She got him field passes and he was bitching about his seats? Although that says to me that they are all as close as they claim because that's the sort of squabble you have with close friends or family.

Tonight was a reminder of why I'm so glad Mark is back this season. That choreography was stunning and Lindsey danced it so well. She was there emotionally and her movement was lovely. Could there have been more VW? Maybe but it would have been easier to do with a slightly faster song. I just thought that was a moving piece of art and we don't see that too often on this show.

Lindsay (did I get the a/e thing right?) and Jordan were also moving. He's very expressive when he dances and that will go a logn way to helping him connect with voters. Jordan clearly has even more training than I realized going into this. A few turns in that number were very strong and that's normally the best way to tell who has trained.

As for who is going home, I honestly couldn't predict. I feel like we've got a pretty squishy middle pack this year and it really could be anyone. Sasha was the least memorable for me but I could just as easily see Terrell or Nikki or Nick go and wouldn't even be shocked to lose anyone else save Lindsey, Jordan or Victoria.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

Hopefully the next to go is the wrestling chick.  She doesn't interest me at all.  I am still trying to figure out why Erin was gushing over her.

Erin always picks one female each season to gush over. If she can't find one she likes, she falls back on Peta and Sharna.

25 minutes ago, spanana said:

Why would she lose a potential job because her partner was unprofessional?  We have yet to hear even a rumored hint of wrongdoing on Vanessa's part. .

I've read she's a total diva that's ticked off the whole cast and crew.

• Love 1

What annoys me about most memorable year is that if you haven't had a traumatic experience in your life, your story looks silly and you are bound to get less votes. I have to admit, I did laugh a bit when they were talking about preemie babies, adoption, loss of feeling in the body among other things and then Drew's story was about how his most memorable year was so sad because he didn't make it as an actor. But that's what I mean. It makes the "celebs" feel like they have to cry over something in order to keep up with the votes. I just don't like it. 

• Love 10

Is anyone else baffled by how...BLAH Sasha is? I mean, her parents are supposedly both professional ballroom dancers. Did they teach her nothing growing up? She just seems to have zero natural grace. I don't find her a terribly offensive presence or anything, but I am just confused by why she can't *move well.*

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

What annoys me about most memorable year is that if you haven't had a traumatic experience in your life, your story looks silly and you are bound to get less votes. I have to admit, I did laugh a bit when they were talking about preemie babies, adoption, loss of feeling in the body among other things and then Drew's story was about how his most memorable year was so sad because he didn't make it as an actor. But that's what I mean. It makes the "celebs" feel like they have to cry over something in order to keep up with the votes. I just don't like it. 

Most Memorable Year is my LEAST favorite theme.  It's all about the over dramatized sob stories to manipulate the audience.  The irony of the Drew Scott segment - it would have work much better if it was a celebration of their show - instead of going for the dramatics - and inadvertently showing what a bad actor Drew really is.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I will miss Derek, he is a class act.

I can't believe Mark dressed up as Lindsey's dad. No words. Well, none that are nice.

Maks sucks, that's all.

I think Lindsey was fine with it, although I feel really bad for the girl, as her dad only died a few months ago. I assume she was relatively ok with the idea, as she did give Mark her dad's hat and scarf. Maybe she thought it would help get her in the zone. It's not as manipulative as what Derek did in season 21 with Bindi during one of their dances, where Derek "surprised" Bindi with a picture of her and her dad at the end of their dance. At least Mark would have had to talk to Lindsey about dressing like her dad beforehand, or maybe she even offered the idea. 

8 hours ago, Dobian said:

Which makes sense since he's basically a pro dancer himself.

I don't think he is. He was part of a boy band, but none of them are pro dancers. Nick also isn't that strong of a dancer. He's ok, but no better than Terrell. 

• Love 1
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

I think Lindsey was fine with it, although I feel really bad for the girl, as her dad only died a few months ago. I assume she was relatively ok with the idea, as she did give Mark her dad's hat and scarf. Maybe she thought it would help get her in the zone. It's not as manipulative as what Derek did in season 21 with Bindi during one of their dances, where Derek "surprised" Bindi with a picture of her and her dad at the end of their dance. At least Mark would have had to talk to Lindsey about dressing like her dad beforehand, or maybe she even offered the idea. 

Yeah the impression I got was that it was a collaborative decision between Lindsey and Mark regarding his dressing up as her dad.

18 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Is anyone else baffled by how...BLAH Sasha is? I mean, her parents are supposedly both professional ballroom dancers. Did they teach her nothing growing up? She just seems to have zero natural grace. I don't find her a terribly offensive presence or anything, but I am just confused by why she can't *move well.*

Perhaps Sasha's parents never pushed her to try dancing and let her choose what she wanted to do? She said she joined Pretty Little Liars at age 12, and I assume she was acting even before that. If that has been her focus most of her life, then she probably never did learn much dancing with her parents. They may have tried and she didn't show interest in it so didn't push it on her. I think she could be a lot better with someone other than Gleb. He has been doing poorly as a choreographer this season (he's really not the greatest in other seasons either, and always relies on sex appeal). Part of Sasha's story is about her insecurity over her weight, which could also impact how well she dances. I know when I danced as a child, I was really introverted/shy/awkward in my body, and when you feel that way it can be hard to 100% own dances. If you don't have the confidence going into it, it shows.

Anyway I'm finding this season kind of boring. I know that generally we have good dancers, but no one excites me that much aside from Frankie. I really enjoy Lindsey too. I would enjoy Jordan more if he wasn't such a ringer. I think the lack of criticism compared to last season pisses me off too. People were basically calling all the females ringers (Heather I understood being called a ringer but not Nancy, Simone, Normani) and actively rooting against them, yet this season Jordan is clearly a massive ringer dancing on par with pros and nobody cares. His dances are good but I am not rooting for him to win. I hope Frankie or Lindsey win. Other than Frankie, Lindsey and Jordan though, this season is rather boring. Last year I was really rooting and excited for a lot of the contestants.

I was sad Derek left. I don't think he deserved to go yet. I feel bad, but every week I honestly forget Victoria is competing. After Drew finished his dance, I actually thought that was the last dance until they mentioned her again. I don't think her story is connecting as much, probably because we cannot visibly see her disability any more. I will say I can tell she isn't as good at the dancing, and I'm sure most of that is attributed to everything she has overcome. I liked how Drew's brother popped up in his routine with Emma. Probably smart to do that now since he may be eliminated soon. I'm thinking Sasha is probably next on the chopping block even though I really like her. Although it's close between Nick, Drew, Nikki, Terrell, and her (all are decent to good, but I don't think connecting very well). I really don't know how big everyone's fanbase is. I imagine Nick has a big voting base, but then he also keeps being put in jeopardy which could be a sign his voting numbers aren't as high as expected.

• Love 3

For me, I am glad this isn't last season.  The Normani fans were just insufferable, and I hated how she got a pass every week for doing everything but the prescribed dances.  

Jordan I really like because he's doing ballroom choreography for the ballroom dances. I thought his Tango wasn't bad he could have been a bit more precise on his footwork, his Viennese Waltz got away from him a bit I thought he was playing catch up to Lindsay's turns, but the Samba sizzled. The superhero Charleston last week was not ballroom, and Lindsey does put Lindy and Quickstep in her Charlestons, but the music had zero to do with Charleston.  So if he does a beautiful fairly flawless Contemporary, I'm not mad at it all. He's growing in this competition, so if he's a ringer in his style that's one thing, he's not a ringer in ballroom and latin.

• Love 1

Maks isn't even phoning it in anymore.  He is snail mailing it in.  He could care less about being there.  His choreography was even more bland than usual.  Not bad, just bland.    I did not know about Vanessa and Nick's son being born that early.   I will give her a little more slack on the "Mommy" stuff.     She and Nick are all about each other and their family and that is nice to see.   However, she and Maks are becoming  uncomfortable to watch.

I really liked Jordan, Frankie and to a lesser extent, Lindsey (not feeling the hair though).   I also enjoyed Drew and his brother, who added some much needed lightheartedness to last night.  I am not a fan of Most Memorable Year.  I hate it when the Kleenex starts flying and the tears start flowing.  Not to take away from any of the hard times that the celebs have gone through but I watch this show to escape all the crappy stuff going on in the world.

As far as any of the other contestants, I do not think anyone was horrible last night, just forgettable for me.   I know I am supposed to be in awe of Victoria and I have nothing against her and am glad she has recovered to where she is but I just feel nothing when she dances.  Not her fault, I just am not interested.

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 5

Well now I have another theory regarding the Vanessa/ Maks thingy.  If Vanessa is in talks to be the co-host for the junior show, maybe Maks is pissed because he wants that job.  That would make things pretty frosty, wouldn't it?  That would be a pretty shitty thing to do to a pro on the show, to make him dance with a potential rival for another job? 

Edited by Andie1

Enough about Victoria's paralysis, Nick and Vanessa's relationship, and Frankie's health problems already! It's the same recycled package week after week. Why not show us who they are. I guess since they are nowhere in Jordan and Lindsey's league, they have to prop them up to keep them around.

Sasha, Drew and the wrestling chick are all forgettable. 

I guess I am rooting for TO to take third place. At least we are getting to know him and Cheryl rocks.

3 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

Jordan I really like because he's doing ballroom choreography for the ballroom dances. I thought his Tango wasn't bad he could have been a bit more precise on his footwork, his Viennese Waltz got away from him a bit I thought he was playing catch up to Lindsay's turns, but the Samba sizzled. The superhero Charleston last week was not ballroom, and Lindsey does put Lindy and Quickstep in her Charlestons, but the music had zero to do with Charleston.  So if he does a beautiful fairly flawless Contemporary, I'm not mad at it all. He's growing in this competition, so if he's a ringer in his style that's one thing, he's not a ringer in ballroom and latin.

Jordan is a ringer because it's obvious he's had more professional dance experience and training than the others.  The same with Heather Morris from last season.

• Love 2
Just now, escape said:

Jordan is a ringer because it's obvious he's had more professional dance experience and training than the others.  The same with Heather Morris from last season.

But Heather did latin and ballroom better than Jordan.  Her Tango and Rumba showed how much more of a ringer she was and could be part of the troupe.  Jordan, isn't there . 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, escape said:

Most Memorable Year is my LEAST favorite theme.  It's all about the over dramatized sob stories to manipulate the audience.  The irony of the Drew Scott segment - it would have work much better if it was a celebration of their show - instead of going for the dramatics - and inadvertently showing what a bad actor Drew really is.

I agree! They tried to make it into a sad story, then did a happy dance - the juxtaposition was jarring.

Did any of the dances last night use the troupe? I don't think so. Maybe they usually don't for MMY. I think Jonathan Scott was the troupe last night :) 

41 minutes ago, escape said:

I much preferred it when it was tell a story through your dance. Somehow that morphed into tell a personal story through your dance and then tell us about your most memorable year through your dance. I liked story week but when it started to become personal (around Season 11 or 12, I think) it got annoying.

7 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

Well now I have another theory regarding the Vanessa/ Maks thingy.  If Vanessa is in talks to be the co-host for the junior show, maybe Maks is pissed because he wants that job.  That would make things pretty frosty, wouldn't it?  That would be a pretty shitty thing to do to a pro on the show, to make him dance with a potential rival for another job? 

I think if anything Maks was/is expecting to be head judge, not a host.

11 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

and Frankie's health problems already!

To be fair, this is the first time they're bringing up Frankie's brain issues. Sure, they briefly talked about his broken back the first two weeks, but they've focused more on his optimism and joy to be on the show and what he's done to ensure that he could stay longer.

Your other two examples, though, I completely agree with. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

At least everyone knows about Jordan's Broadway background, unlike Riker where they tried to hide it.  And I guess it doesn't bother me because I would love to see Lindsay get a win.  

For me, Riker was inserted so that the pro would look better dancing Ballroom and Latin since that wasn't her first genre.  No doubt he had some good dances.  Overall tho, Jordan and Lindsay and Mark and Lindsey are the best of the season, and for me it will come down to either one. So far for me, Mark is edging Lindsay in the choreography race, but that could change.

Edited by Andie1

I actually like learning new things about the contestants, but unfortunately Most Memorable Year has turned into sob story week. The only ones without sob stories this week were Drew, Sasha (okay I don't exactly remember what her package was about, it just seemed about finishing her TV show so if it was a sob story correct me) and Nick (although he was basically included in Vanessa's package anyway). I don't know if Frankie's was 100% a sob story either, since he seemed to want to focus on the present/future rather than the past. I felt like he didn't want to make a big deal out of his health issues, but of course the show is going to edit the package to discuss them. It was sweet when he discussed his girlfriend writing about each day. Reminded me of that Adam Sandler movie 50 First Dates. Anyway it'd be nicer if not all the MMY events were sad and we had more happy ones. I understand why Lindsey would mention her dad, but I know she has some other great life moments involving breaking into the industry with her violin. I'm sure Jordan too had another breakout moment for him, perhaps being cast in Hamilton or something. It seems like the show pushes the dramatic stories for the emotional reactions.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, escape said:

I dont think he is remotely the same as Heather Morris. Heather was a professional dancer who danced with Beyonce and got her start acting because she was brought on to teach the single ladies dance on Glee. She is a dancer who acts . I believe she also tried out for So You Think you Can Dance which is how many of the actual dancers on this show got their start.  Jordan probably has most  dance experience this season but not nearly to the level of Heather.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, shoregirl said:

I dont think he is remotely the same as Heather Morris. Heather was a professional dancer who danced with Beyonce and got her start acting because she was brought on to teach the single ladies dance on Glee. She is a dancer who acts . I believe she also tried out for So You Think you Can Dance which is how many of the actual dancers on this show got their start.  Jordan probably has most  dance experience this season but not nearly to the level of Heather.

Agreed.  Jordan has training but not at a sustained level like Heather who could walk into the troupe and did.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, bealled said:

Sasha (okay I don't exactly remember what her package was about, it just seemed about finishing her TV show so if it was a sob story correct me)

Sasha's was a little about PLL ending, but mostly about struggling with her weight when looking for jobs after the show was going to be done. Which is fair, because I remember when people were noticing her weight gain around season 6 and people were saying some pretty cruel things online.