Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E05: Week 4: Most Memorable Year

• Start Topic

I don't mind sob story week being sad if they are telling us something we don't already know. It's just that they keep rehashing the same crap, especially with people they are trying to push.

Sasha's story about gaining weight would have been better told this week. I don't even remember her this week, so not a good sign.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Is anyone else baffled by how...BLAH Sasha is? I mean, her parents are supposedly both professional ballroom dancers. Did they teach her nothing growing up? She just seems to have zero natural grace. I don't find her a terribly offensive presence or anything, but I am just confused by why she can't *move well.*

Sasha was acting on television from a very early age.  She got her first series at 6.  I think she was just focused on acting early on, that took off for her, and dance was either something she never got into or didn't have that much time to pursue considering her early acting career was thriving.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, PBGamer89 said:

Lindsey could've and should've gotten a 10 but because it was a Ballroom dance, she didn't.

I loved that dance, I thought it was really beautiful choreography, but second best of the night because that was a Waltz, not a Viennese Waltz, the difference being tempo and continuous motion.  If Mark choreographed it as a Waltz then 10's all the way, but he didn't.  That's on him.

21 minutes ago, spanana said:

Read where? The sources matter. Not all sources are the same credibility.

If you Google Vanessa Lachay difficult,  there are multiple sources. These are the same sources that have reality show gossip every week. People can pick or choose whether to believe them.

11 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

Nick and Vanessa are two of the smartest ppl on this show. They are determined to revitalize their careers.

Indeed.

48 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I think if anything Maks was/is expecting to be head judge, not a host.

But what if the show has completely different plans?  Like Nick be the host and Vanessa a judge?  They've had former contestants judge on Strictly.  I could see something is sticking in Maks' craw about Vanessa, and it's not just "diva" attitudes, he's had worse to contend with. No something tells me he's checked out because he's been given some sort of news that he's not happy with. And then for Vanessa to get more free on air time with Nick, makes you think....perhaps Maks is getting a lot of pressure from TPTB to make her look good while all the while he's seething over employment opportunities or lack there of. 

Edited by Andie1

This Maks feud speculation seems unnecessary to me. He may have an issue with Vanessa, but isn't he generally like this? I feel like the last time he seemed genuinely happy with a partner was with Meryl. I just think he isn't that into the show unless he has a guaranteed finals ringer. Vanessa is definitely good, but I don't think she's a lock to make the finals. Also Maks may just be aggravated because they have to play up the married couple angle. I don't think his personality is one that reflects well in public. He's not a chipper person, he comes across moody, etc. I think the speculation he is competing with Vanessa for a job sounds kind of ridiculous. I'm a little confused why they are considering Vanessa for a job at this point too, but I guess she does have hosting experience. Personally I could not see Maks as a host. He's not charismatic enough for that, and I highly doubt he would show enough interest in the contestants. I could see him more as a judge, but he'd likely be a grumpy judge like Len.

• Love 2

I have a love/hate relationship with memorable year night.  I thought it was a good night of dancing because the celebs were so emotionally invested but at the same time, sob story after sob story gets tiring.  

This!

Sorry, but if I want sob stories I'll tune in to...the Voice. I'm not sure you can apply for that show unless you have a sob story, especially a near-death experience and/or a dead relative.

Am I wrong in thinking that in earlier years DWTS's Memorable Year stories were, you know, like, happy events? As in first acting job, blissful marriage, birth of kids, special song recorded, et al.

• Love 2

Good grief I hate Sob Story Week. Of course the judges are going to be generous when the celebrity is standing there crying about their dead grandma. Of course half the dances are going to be "contemporary" so the celebs can reach skyward for the spirit of dead grandma or dead daddy or whoever. It's not a coincidence there were three contemporary dances where they can just do anything to act out their drama and trauma. Ugh.

Jeepers, if Frankie has had nine concussions he's got a crappy support group. I think after the first two or three somebody should step in and stage and intervention because of whatever the hell he's doing to get all these concussions. And are the mini strokes the result of the concussions or does he keep getting concussions because of the mini strokes? Somebody get this kid to a hospital and get him an MRI.

The thing that cracks me up about this show pushing Nick and Vanessa so hard is that I guess we're supposed to pretend Nick and Jessica were never a thing? I mean, they were a pretty big "celebrity couple," tabloid-wise, but now we're supposed to act like that never happened and it's been Nick and Vanessa 4-ever? Ok then.

I've always liked Derek better than the judges did and I don't know why they nitpicked him to death. Terrell or Nick should easily have gone before him. 

Sorry, Jordan fans, but Jordan bawling because his grandma and gradnpa were good to him? Totally did not move me. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

Vanessa is definitely up for a job.  See Melissa Rycroft,  Brooke Burke and Erin Andrews, all top 3 with similiar resumes. 

Vanessa also recently hosted another juniors reality show.

• Love 1

I was pretty concerned at Frankie's package. Witney: "what have the doctor's said?" Frankie: "I've never really talked about memory problems with them."

um, WTF dude! Your girlfriend writes things down for you? I like his dances, with his enthusiasm. I think Witney deserved one credit this season for her choreography and costume choices. She looks gorgeous and makes Frankie the center of the dance. Mark is good at this, too. Interesting song for a quickstep, but great stage/lighting. 

The poor celebrities don't get to see their packages until right before the dance?! Is that the audience can get the "real" emotions? So many of them were in tears during most of the dances: Lindsey, Jordan, Vanessa, Victoria. I can't imagine watching myself and then having to dance. 

Vanessa seemed to have no hip movement. Maybe nerves? Her arms are pretty, but it was not a pretty rhumba. 

Loved Frankie, Lindsey, and Jordan. I think they'll be top 3, but no clear winner yet. It's not a runaway season. 

I don't mind ringers if they're humble and fun to watch. I enjoy good dancing. A trained dancer more often has won because he/she is engaging and enjoyable to watch with a good pro partnership. It's a huge combo of all to actually win. Ringers  are eliminated early all the time. I just dislike all the complaining. The show isn't fair. Meh. 

• Love 5

I am not a fan of most memorable week but, for the first time I could relate to some of these stories.

I was shocked re: Frankie.  I had no idea he had that many health problem at such a young age.  I really do hope he has a good support team watching over him.

The dances of the night for me are of course are Lindsay/Mark and Lindsey/Jordan.  These dances were beautiful to watch and I felt their emotion which in turn made me feel something too. 

Unfortunately, I can relate to Vanessa having a preemie myself.  It is the scariest thing I have ever had to endure.  Not knowing if your child will live  is heartbreaking. and like Nick said you are helpless.  Her story was  very heartfelt but the dance I did not care for.  Maks just gets on my nerves now.

Everyone else is still forgettable to me.

• Love 1

So Frankie hasn't discussed his memory problems with his doctors but discusses it on national TV? LOL. 

These packages get more scripted and phony by the week. Like another  poster said, they push Nick and Vanessa as a super couple, yet we are conveniently supposed to forget Jessica Simpson?

• Love 3

Vanessa and Curtis Stone are hosting Top Chef, Jr., which I believe just started airing this month. Perhaps with all the rumors flying, people are getting that confused with DWTS Jr.?

59 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Sorry, Jordan fans, but Jordan bawling because his grandma and gradnpa were good to him? Totally did not move me. 

It moved me.  Life could have been a lot different for him if Grandma and Grandpa weren't there to pick up the pieces, especially because their daughter just left some real baggage behind. Grandma and Grandpa didn't have to adopt him, many grandparents don't.  With Mom a drug addict,  Dad....no where to be found who knows where he might have ended up. Ward of the state and all of that horror can lead to a cycle of dyfunction, abuse, neglect... it's a shitshow for those caught in it.  Seems he knows first hand the ability to be grateful for how he's been blessed and that's kind of what it's all about.  

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 14
31 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

So Frankie hasn't discussed his memory problems with his doctors but discusses it on national TV? LOL. 

These packages get more scripted and phony by the week. Like another  poster said, they push Nick and Vanessa as a super couple, yet we are conveniently supposed to forget Jessica Simpson?

The first thing I always think about is how Nick and Vanessa got together after she was in his music video for his song about breaking up with Jessica.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think he is. He was part of a boy band, but none of them are pro dancers. Nick also isn't that strong of a dancer. He's ok, but no better than Terrell. 

Well he doesn't make a living by dancing, I meant just what you said, he was part of a boy band and like his brother had a lot of dancing training.  They are definitely a couple of notches above pure amateurs on the experience scale.

50 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

She is easily forgotten for me.  I am glad Nick found true love with Vanessa.  There are many people who find happiness the second time around.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The thing that cracks me up about this show pushing Nick and Vanessa so hard is that I guess we're supposed to pretend Nick and Jessica were never a thing? I mean, they were a pretty big "celebrity couple," tabloid-wise, but now we're supposed to act like that never happened and it's been Nick and Vanessa 4-ever? Ok then.

I was thinking about that, too! I mean, if Nick and Vanessa are truly happy together, then hey, great, that's wonderful. Sometimes it takes a while to find that person who's right for you, nothing wrong with that, and I'm glad they both have what they want, with their marriage and their family and all. But yeah, when Nick was talking about how great it felt when he was marrying her, and we saw those videos of their engagement celebration and whatnot, I couldn't help thinking, "Gee, I really hope Jessica Simpson doesn't watch this show...". 

1 hour ago, Sd601 said:

I don't mind ringers if they're humble and fun to watch. I enjoy good dancing. A trained dancer more often has won because he/she is engaging and enjoyable to watch with a good pro partnership. It's a huge combo of all to actually win. Ringers  are eliminated early all the time. I just dislike all the complaining. The show isn't fair. Meh. 

Same. I don't get hung up on who has or hasn't had much training prior to being on the show. I get the criticism, since the objective is to watch people learning a new skill, and that's a fair argument to make. But at the same time, it's a reality competition, so I figure there's some rigging and manipulating and bias, both from the show and from the viewers, along the way anyway, just like there is with virtually any other reality competition show out there. I'm just here 'cause I like watching the dances, and because sometimes there's a celebrity on there that I or my family like as well, or who I enjoy learning more about if I wasn't familiar with them prior to the show. 

I also figure that given this is a show where most of the celebrities who appear aren't exactly A-list sorts, and given how many celebrities the show's asked to join either can't find the time to do the show or don't want to do the show, that tends to limit their pool of potential contestants some, which probably explains part of why they take on ringers or particularly odd famous people choices (Rick Perry and Tom DeLay, anyone?) and so on. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1

Jordan/Linday and Lindsey/Mark were the best -- no question about that, IMO.  After that, I liked TO and Frankie.  Unfortunately, the rest were OK...but not memorable.

I agree with those who posted that it's unfair to the celebs who have no sad tale to share.  After you've heard about the death of a parent or left-threatening illnesses.  other stories seem trivial...whether fair or not. 

3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Is anyone else baffled by how...BLAH Sasha is? I mean, her parents are supposedly both professional ballroom dancers. Did they teach her nothing growing up? She just seems to have zero natural grace. I don't find her a terribly offensive presence or anything, but I am just confused by why she can't *move well.*

Not really, she has the worst pro of the entire roster. A better teacher/choreographer and I’m sure she’d be doing better.

The season looked good on paper but it’s just been boring. Lindsey and Jordan are just ten times better than everyone else and it feels like we’re just coasting to the finale where they’ll be the last two standing. Frankie is the people’s champ but he’s not a good enough dancer to win compared to the other two going off the last two weeks. I do think he’ll come third. Everyone else is just there and dancing for a position.

• Love 4

Before the season started I wasn't interested.  I just found the celebrities lacking in ... star power.  But I watched week 3 and 4 live and I am invested in the series.  Yes, Jordan and Lindsey should be 1 and 2, how they end up though will be a toss up I think right to the end.  Also with 6 teams scoring a 24 any of them could potentially  a real battle for 3rd and 4th...

Edited by Andie1
1 hour ago, smiley13 said:

She is easily forgotten for me.  I am glad Nick found true love with Vanessa.  There are many people who find happiness the second time around.

It helps when you're not a man dating a child the second time around.  Nick was once a 25 year old dude dating a barely legal teenager.

2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

To the first part, I read another interview with Frankie, and he said originally it wasn't his intent to talk about the memory stuff but it was hard to hide because the producers or whoever ask him questions about Malcolm in the Middle and his experiences, and he didn't remember anything.  So my guess is it actually might have been partially producer induced.  Producers probably caught wind of it when he was filming all his talking heads, and then sort of pushed for that to be the story and he went along. 

I'm probably wrong, but I just assumed all the concussions and mini strokes were born out of issues stemming from his brief racing career.  That he messed himself up so much then that he is still having repercussions.

As for the latter, I get it, but it would be a lot more douchey for Nick to mention Jessica.  He can love his current wife without having to acknowledge he was married previously.  Especially when it seems like Jessica is happy enough having a family with someone else.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, tessaforever said:

I too thought that was very tasteless. I was thinking about that later and thought how lovely it would have been if she and Mark had danced (Mark in a nice suit) and at the very end, she had put on the hat and scarf and walked off the stage. 

I completely disagree with this. The whole point of the scarf and hat was to tie the dance in with Lindsey's story. And it obviously meant a lot to Lindsey to feel like she was dancing with her father. She would have certainly said something to Mark if she had a problem with him dressing that way.

• Love 7

I think that it would have added more drama if Nick mentioned Jessica and would be the only thing that the entertainment shows would talk about. Nick and Jessica don't have any relationship now, I think the last thing she said about him was that he was her costliest mistake (they didn't have a prenup when they married).   

It was smart to have Nick and Vanessa's packages so intertwined, I like Nick a lot more after hearing him talk about the birth of their third child.  I haven't seen diva behavior from Vanessa and thought that Maks disliked her because she was loud and made a ton of jokes.  She can be too much, just don't get diva or a difficult vibe from her. I wish that they had kept her with Alan if it's just going to be Maks putting in the least amount of effort.

I'm really glad Property Brother Jonathan refused to go the show.  The battle of the twins on top of competing married couples would have been show crushing.

I wish that Simone and/or Nancy Kerrigan had been saved for this reason rather than last season.  This season is missing something.  I love the Jordan/Lindsay pairing and like the others as people, it just isn't as compelling as other seasons.

• Love 3

But yeah, when Nick was talking about how great it felt when he was marrying her, and we saw those videos of their engagement celebration and whatnot, I couldn't help thinking, "Gee, I really hope Jessica Simpson doesn't watch this show...". 

The thing is, Nick & Jessica were a pretty "famous" celebrity couple. Nick & Vanessa? Not so much. I personally have never heard of Vanessa before this show and Nick's career isn't exactly on fire anymore either. So it feels like this show is trying to make "Nick & Vanessa" a thing, and I'm not buying it. I think Nick & Jessica still overshadow Nick & Vanessa. (And I'm just dying for someone to accidentally call Vanessa "Jessica." )

Life could have been a lot different for him if Grandma and Grandpa weren't there to pick up the pieces, especially because their daughter just left some real baggage behind. Grandma and Grandpa didn't have to adopt him, many grandparents don't.  With Mom a drug addict,  Dad....no where to be found who knows where he might have ended up. Ward of the state and all of that horror can lead to a cycle of dyfunction, abuse, neglect... it's a shitshow for those caught in it.  Seems he knows first hand the ability to be grateful for how he's been blessed and that's kind of what it's all about. 

Well, sure. But it's not "my grandma and/or dad just died" or "my baby was born with eye-cancer." I mean, in terms of audibly bawling after the dance is over? Until Tom had to remind him the show wasn't over and he had to stop bawling into his grandparents' arms? That seemed a bit extreme to me. Not saying he was "milking it," but this is something good that happened when he was five. Not something tragic that just happened in the last six to twelve months. Calm the F down, kid.

I think that there is a lot more to Jordan's story than they are letting on.  He wasn't adopted until he was 10/11 and has two younger siblings. I don't know if his mom was in and out of his life or wouldn't relinquish custody.  There seemed like a lot more "there."  His relationship with them reminds me of how Terrell cried talking about how his grandmother made him into the person is today.  Terrell's grandmother passed away in 2012 but you could tell she was his rock.  

• Love 8

The thing is this Contemporary dance is all about bringing up to the surface those deeply buried thoughts about Jordan's family, something he hasn't talked about very much . Normally when dancers go to a vulnerable place they are trying to embody a character, and often they appear very emotional after it. But this night Jordan has had to remove that layer because it's his life.  Sure he is 23 but maybe he's not so far removed from that little kid who just wanted to feel wanted by a family.   A lot of things could have been stirred up, from anger and grief for a mother who didn't love him enough to care for him, to  wonder about his biological father, to just thanking God his grandparents were there. When dance asks you to self disclose it can be a deep well of mixed emotions and sometimes that can be difficult to turn off.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 11

this is how I feel about all the Maks and Vanessa what ever it was and this will be the last I say. I will comment on their dances and costumes and the show, and if they have some horrible fisticuffs on live tv, but this is how I think about it: “Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

52 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

I completely disagree with this. The whole point of the scarf and hat was to tie the dance in with Lindsey's story. And it obviously meant a lot to Lindsey to feel like she was dancing with her father. She would have certainly said something to Mark if she had a problem with him dressing that way.

And the idea I think was having that opportunity to dance with Dad through Mark.  Dancing with Mark in a nice suit, is dancing with Mark, but when Mark donned that hat and scarf Lindsey believed her dad was with her, and that's what made the dance so powerful and profound.

• Love 5

Thinking about it, this season is pretty much identical to season 17 a few falls ago. Lindsey is Amber Riley, Jordan is Corbin Bleu, Frankie is Jack Osbourne, Drew is Bill Engvall, Vanessa is Leah Remini. They even had a forgettable PLL star on that season as well (Brant?).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Oh, I know people find love the second time around and that's great. I just think it is wierd to push them as some kind of supercouple when half of that was in a very public romance with someone else.

I am not convinced Jordan and Lindsey are going to be the F2. Just because they are ringers doesn't mean people will vote for them, although I would like that outcome.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I am not convinced Jordan and Lindsey are going to be the F2. Just because they are ringers doesn't mean people will vote for them, although I would like that outcome.

Absolutely correct. I keep going back and forth on this. I hope Lindsay has built up enough of a fan base to take them to the finals, but Jordan is getting bashed for being a good contemporary dancer, and these young guys rarely if ever go very far.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Andie1 said:

Indeed.

But what if the show has completely different plans?  Like Nick be the host and Vanessa a judge?  They've had former contestants judge on Strictly.  I could see something is sticking in Maks' craw about Vanessa, and it's not just "diva" attitudes, he's had worse to contend with. No something tells me he's checked out because he's been given some sort of news that he's not happy with. And then for Vanessa to get more free on air time with Nick, makes you think....perhaps Maks is getting a lot of pressure from TPTB to make her look good while all the while he's seething over employment opportunities or lack there of. 

If Peta had checked out, like Maks, she would be called a real Diva. Suck it up Maks!

18 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Oh, I know people find love the second time around and that's great. I just think it is wierd to push them as some kind of supercouple when half of that was in a very public romance with someone else.

I'm voting for them both, but moreso Lindsey. So Jordan might just take it.LOL

Edited by NeverLate

This most memorable night them was okay for me. Sure it tugged on the old heart strings but I guess the show needed to "up the scores" for almost everyone. With these sob stories what judge is going to score any of the couples low, even if they would deserve it. The thing I noticed yesterday was how much Vanessa and Nick were shown. When it was his backstory, Vanessa took center stage, and vice verse. When NIck's scores were announced, there was Vanessa and the same with Vanessa's scores. I'm just going by what I see and I see Vanessa wanting to be in the spotlight too many times and maybe Maks hs caught on and is tired of that.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, calipiano81 said:

Oh yeah, I think Lindsey was fine with it. It was *me* who didn't like it lol. It was on par with wheelchair dancing for me. I like when the dance hints at the story (like Nancy's last year, that was nice) but doesn't go completely overboard hitting us over the head with it. YMMV. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

That said, I've never been a Mark fan, au contraire, but that choreography really got to me, especially the brief moments when she danced on her "father's" toes. Brilliant!

Derek did that with someone, I don't remember who.

5 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

This most memorable night them was okay for me. Sure it tugged on the old heart strings but I guess the show needed to "up the scores" for almost everyone. With these sob stories what judge is going to score any of the couples low, even if they would deserve it. The thing I noticed yesterday was how much Vanessa and Nick were shown. When it was his backstory, Vanessa took center stage, and vice verse. When NIck's scores were announced, there was Vanessa and the same with Vanessa's scores. I'm just going by what I see and I see Vanessa wanting to be in the spotlight too many times and maybe Maks has caught on and is tired of that.  

I'm not really sure about Vanessa, because I'm not seeing her as a diva or demanding the spotlight personally. I see her liking the spotlight, but I haven't seen her really forcing herself into it. I mean, I find her annoying and I'm not fond of her personality, but I haven't seen signs of Vanessa being the problem in the Vanessa/Maks partnership. I think they both contribute because they both seem very similar with their Alpha personalities, but Maks has acted more unprofessional than Vanessa.

However, I did note during, I think, Vanessa's scoring that Tom said something about "something not being right", and then two seconds later, Nick appeared, which means that the producers wanted Nick/Vanessa basically at each other's hip last night. They seemed to want to tell a family story there, from their marriage to their heartbreak with their youngest child. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, tessaforever said:

Derek did that with someone, I don't remember who.

Lindsay danced on David Ross' feet last season for a "father daughter" themed dance. 

Yep, Lindsey was the first one I thought of too. But also Derek/Bindi in the package during rehearsal. MMY week. I don't think it made the final dance though. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
1 hour ago, tessaforever said:

Oh yeah, I think Lindsey was fine with it. It was *me* who didn't like it lol. It was on par with wheelchair dancing for me. I like when the dance hints at the story (like Nancy's last year, that was nice) but doesn't go completely overboard hitting us over the head with it. YMMV. 

I could never see Nancy Kerrigan do what Lindsey did, as much as she was a joy to watch there was no way she would go there. I agree, Mark can sometimes steer into the icky, but because Lindsey was so invested it made the difference for me.

Nick and Vanessa have for the most part been together since 2006.  Their wikipedia page (lol, I only use hard facts) says they had a brief break-up somewhere around 2009 before finally getting married in 2011.  I know why people think of Nick/Jessica, but at this point he's been with Vanessa for the better part of over a decade.  It's not like they just met and got involved.  He's been with Vanessa longer than he was with Jessica.  Believe me, I watched that stupid reality show back in the day but it's not exactly a current part of pop culture.  

I'm also in the camp thinks there was a lot more left unsaid about Jordan's situation, which is fine since of course it's his business.  As already said, if his grandparents didn't adopt him until he was around 10/11, it suggests there was something else impeding the process.  I imagine it was more likely that his mother was in/out of his life.  His story reminds me of Simone Bile's except Simone and her sister did wind up in the system for a bit.  

• Love 4

I'm really glad Property Brother Jonathan refused to go the show.  The battle of the twins on top of competing married couples would have been show crushing.

To be honest, battle of the twins would have made for a better storyline than battle of the marrieds, considering they've had battling spouses before (looking at you, Carlos and Alexa PenaVega). Plus that way wouldn't have been subjected to pushing a whole season of disinterested Maks.

Erin made it sound like  Jonathan was asked but declined. I had heard it was because he had something going on with a shoulder, but he looked fine last night, so maybe not.

Edited by McManda

I've had complicated pregnancies, and I spend 20+ hours a week as a volunteer peer counselor in a high risk pregnancy support group. Long story short, I spent most of yesterday and into today dealing with a tragedy. So when I finally got around to watching the show this afternoon, I was already predisposed to bawl through the whole thing, and especially Vanessa's preemie birth. Which I did.

And yet, when I got to the end of her package, what stood out to me was that Maks wasn't even in it. I had to rewind and watch again. All the other couples had a candid sit down moment where they discussed their story with lots of hand holding and shoulder squeezing and feedback. Vanessa told her story alone in a talking head on the couch. The one scene where she "told" Maks about it "in rehearsal", she was shown talking to someone off camera, and cut to him reacting to someone off camera without comment. They totally weren't even in the same room, were they? She was talking to a PA, he was reacting to something totally unrelated, and then spliced together. The only moment you can tell for sure they were in the same room at the same time was a single slow-mo twirl from the more formal shoot they always do, not a candid rehearsal. Whatever is going on between them is clearly not over. How uncomfortable! 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, majormama said:

I've had complicated pregnancies, and I spend 20+ hours a week as a volunteer peer counselor in a high risk pregnancy support group. Long story short, I spent most of yesterday and into today dealing with a tragedy. So when I finally got around to watching the show this afternoon, I was already predisposed to bawl through the whole thing, and especially Vanessa's preemie birth. Which I did.

And yet, when I got to the end of her package, what stood out to me was that Maks wasn't even in it. I had to rewind and watch again. All the other couples had a candid sit down moment where they discussed their story with lots of hand holding and shoulder squeezing and feedback. Vanessa told her story alone in a talking head on the couch. The one scene where she "told" Maks about it "in rehearsal", she was shown talking to someone off camera, and cut to him reacting to someone off camera without comment. They totally weren't even in the same room, were they? She was talking to a PA, he was reacting to something totally unrelated, and then spliced together. The only moment you can tell for sure they were in the same room at the same time was a single slow-mo twirl from the more formal shoot they always do, not a candid rehearsal. Whatever is going on between them is clearly not over. How uncomfortable! 

I noticed that too. I also noticed that while he (or his PR team) put together a gushy Instagram post today with pictures of the two of them performing, Vanessa's post a few hours earlier was a picture of just her.