Type keyword(s) to search

Flip or Flop Fort Worth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Editor's Note:

Discuss Flip or Flop Fort Worth Here!

Another new one. This actually had a pilot air last spring called "Flipping Fort Worth". The couple is entertaining, the pilot did well. After all the drama from the original show, I think they rebranded as FoF: Fort Worth.

Their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AshleyandAndyWilliams/

An article about them: http://www.elledecor.com/life-culture/a12438974/flip-or-flop-fort-worth/

I'm watching because I'm in Fort Worth, too. They're also not as "tv show goofy" as some of the others.

Edited by OnceSane
  • Love 2

They seem nice.  Same old, same old, but it was a cute house and they seemed to do a good job without too much silly drama.

there are too many flipping shows on the air.

This.  Since they all stick to the exact same formula, and choose many of the same materials, it is just getting ridiculous. 

• Love 3

I liked the tile floors in the kitchen and thought the bathrooms looked fine. As a matter of fact, I thought it was nice to see something more old school.  I was surprised that they paid so much for the house to begin with. I didn't get the two side-by-side back doors.

I watched the show on demand on Sling, and all I caught at the end was that the deal for $326K fell through (I think they were asking for $329K). Then the show ended abruptly.

• Love 1

I didn’t understand the two doors in the back with the tiny patio. I did like the blue color with the yellow door. It was a cute little bungalow. Their design aesthetic are MILES AHEAD of the Las Vegas Flip couple. All in all, a cute house but a not needed show. There are too many Flip shows. I’ve had my fill.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I didn’t understand the two doors in the back with the tiny patio. I did like the blue color with the yellow door. It was a cute little bungalow. Their design aesthetic are MILES AHEAD of the Las Vegas Flip couple. All in all, a cute house but a not needed show. There are too many Flip shows. I’ve had my fill.

I believe the two doors in the back led to the patio from bedrooms. I wish the 'reveal' had been more revealing. We barely got to see the interior rooms when they finished. I was really confused by the final layout--they transformed the former living room & dining room into a master suite... so where did they get the space for the living room in the finale? The camera moved around so quickly that I couldn't figure out much of anything, although I really liked the toned down checkerboard tiles on the kitchen floor.

It was kinda fun to see Ashley's many hairstyles,

• Love 1
12 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I believe the two doors in the back led to the patio from bedrooms. I wish the 'reveal' had been more revealing. We barely got to see the interior rooms when they finished. I was really confused by the final layout--they transformed the former living room & dining room into a master suite... so where did they get the space for the living room in the finale? The camera moved around so quickly that I couldn't figure out much of anything, although I really liked the toned down checkerboard tiles on the kitchen floor.

It was kinda fun to see Ashley's many hairstyles,

Yeah, I did like the gray/white checkerboard tile. It was a great take on the the black/white that people usually coverup because it’s so retro. I also agree that the reveal was fast and furious. The house wasn’t that big but they rushed through everything like they didn’t want anyone to see it in great detail.  

• Love 4

This couple is kind of like the awful Begas couple, with a few differences. They do make strange and disappointing flips, but they don't have as much personality as Bristol & Aubrey. I think that's a good thing.

22 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Agree.  I watched the beginning and wasn't too impressed with their personalities so I fast forwarded to the end.  I didn't understand where the new living room came from either.  

The outcome was lovely and I thought they did a great job!  The designs and finishes were neutral but with a little of the unexpected...the grey and white checkered floor, the guest bathroom walls, etc  The two back doors next to each other were because each original bedroom had a door leading to the outside.  It was like that before they did the reno. 

I felt they were reading off teleprompters and wish more of their personalities would have come through.  It was the first episode so hopefully, they won't be so stiff in future shows.  

• Love 2

I just had to pop in to say, I can't even tune in to this show because my ears are so frayed by the commercial where the husband's vocal fry is off the charts when he says "uggggleeeeee neighborhoooooods."

I didn't care for the outcome of the second episode.  The blue brick exterior was too dark.  Even though they tried to disguise the garage/bedroom conversion by wrapping it in wood, it still looked like a garage/bedroom conversion because of the driveway.  The living room could have been staged so much better; there was a lot of empty space.  Instead of another seating area, they could have displayed a small office niche instead.  Everything was all crammed together near the fireplace which made the that portion of the room look small crowded while the rest of the room was like "what do we do with this space?"  The kitchen, family (game) room, backyard and bedrooms came out nice.  The master bath was nice and big, but again a lot of wasted space.  I think they should have tried to install a linen closet or a separate tub. The floor was way too busy.  I think it would have looked better if it was laid parallel instead of diagonal. The hosts seemed a bit more relaxed this time around.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I didn't care for the outcome of the second episode.  The blue brick exterior was too dark.  Even though they tried to disguise the garage/bedroom conversion by wrapping it in wood, it still looked like a garage/bedroom conversion because of the driveway.  The living room could have been staged so much better; there was a lot of empty space.  Instead of another seating area, they could have displayed a small office niche instead.  Everything was all crammed together near the fireplace which made the that portion of the room look small crowded while the rest of the room was like "what do we do with this space?"  The kitchen, family (game) room, backyard and bedrooms came out nice.  The master bath was nice and big, but again a lot of wasted space.  I think they should have tried to install a linen closet or a separate tub. The floor was way too busy.  I think it would have looked better if it was laid parallel instead of diagonal. The hosts seemed a bit more relaxed this time around.

I agree that the outside was too dark. I was waiting for them to pull a Tarek and Christina and realize after the entire house was completed that they’d need to repaint. But I guess they aren’t living that life yet.

I did like the bathrooms and bedrooms. 

And the hosts are nice. I’d like to see a little more on-camera discussion about some of the designs, but please, God, none of the petty bickering that Christina loved to do.

I will say that none of the new shows have grabbed me like the original FoF. I think it’s because Tarek has such a pleasant and charming on-air personality. As I’ve learned, this can be very different from a person’s true personality. But he’s still fun to watch

• Love 1

I hate painted brick and especially brick painted blue, but that blue wasn't as bad as some I've seen on HGTV lately. The wood really toned it down. I thought it disguised the garage conversion very well. Some houses with one-car garages have a wide driveway in order to have a parking pad/off street parking so I didn't think it was a giveaway that the second garage bay was converted.

I had to laugh when they said they were converting the kitchen to a GALLEY style. I happen to like galley kitchens and that one turned out beautifully, but house hunters on teevee cringe when they see them. LOL!

• Love 2

My impression is the husband does a lot of the work and the wife doesn't. She doesn't seem as involved in the designs as the other Flip shows. Of course, I've only seen two episodes so maybe I'm missing it. I'll have to give it another look to make sure.

• Love 2

I've only seen one Fort Worth episode so far, but my initial impression is that these two hosts are "playing" Flip or Flop rather than doing it. It's probably because the formula is looking increasingly stale now that we've had three different iterations of the same show. The only difference is the hosts. But I'm kind of getting the same vibe as I did from Bristol and Aubrey - that if HGTV hadn't come knocking, Andy and Ashley wouldn't really be doing this. So far, Ken and Anita have come across as the most genuine, even more so that Tarek and Christina. 

My impression is the husband does a lot of the work and the wife doesn't. She doesn't seem as involved in the designs as the other Flip shows. 

Yeah - like I said, it feels more like she's playing a part. When she's walking around picking out colors and tiles I'm not really buying it. My guess would be that she's primarily just a realtor but in order to fit into this show's formula she has to pose as a designer.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

I liked this week's flip (11/16). I have never liked painted brick, but when the brick color is as bland as the brick on this house, I'm all for painting it. As it is, the home just looks very tired and unimpressive from the outside. Liked all the finishes. What color were those cabinets? Putty? Different but neutral, so fine with me. I thought they were going to find out that that addition was not permitted, so it's nice that it was. Fairly generous sized yard for suburban Texas. Once again, I was surprised how much they paid for the home but thought the selling price was reasonable. 

It seems like she poses and he pretends to do some work.  Fake to the nth degree. 

No more fake than any other Flip or Flop show. At least, compared to Tarek, Andy does useful work. Compared to the Flip or Flop Las Vegas, Ashley has taste. I'd put these two on par with the pair from Atlanta. I thought this week's flip was nice and I'm interested in that limewash paint.

• Love 4

OMG, the gray kitchen in this last episode was hideous. It looks like something out of an old Rankin-Bass cartoon. Like that scene in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, when the elves are painting the toys, they're all gray little solid shapes. That's what the kitchen looked like. 

It seems like she poses and he pretends to do some work.  Fake to the nth degree. 

Realistically, what these people probably do is use the exact same finishes on every house they flip. Ashley is a realtor, so I'm willing to bet her primary job is just finding and buying the houses and then selling them. I don't think there's any real "design" aspect to the flips they do because they just call up their usual contractor and tell him to do the usual finishes. That's why these scenes where they go shopping for finishes feel so phony. I'm sure they don't really do that. They're only varying the "designs" for the sake of this show.

At least, compared to Tarek, Andy does useful work.

So does Ken in Atlanta - but to what extent is anyone's guess. They both have contractors/project managers and crews, so how much physical labor the owners really do is questionable. 

Edited by iMonrey

Yes, Cap'n. Texas doesn't any scenery to write home about, but  it does have reasonable real estate prices, and jobs that pay decently.

I liked this flip. I generally don't like the kind of tile that Ashley used for the kitchen back splash, but being larger and of varied shades of gray  made them attractive to even me. I also liked the tile work in the bathroom (upper wall of gray glass subway tile. This lady doesn't call herself a designer, but she comes up with some nice ideas. If they're not unique, they're at least things that I haven't seen on other home shows. She stuck with light gray for the interior and exterior, and I'm okay with that.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mojito said:

Yes, Cap'n. Texas doesn't any scenery to write home about, but  it does have reasonable real estate prices, and jobs that pay decently.

I liked this flip. I generally don't like the kind of tile that Ashley used for the kitchen back splash, but being larger and of varied shades of gray  made them attractive to even me. I also liked the tile work in the bathroom (upper wall of gray glass subway tile. This lady doesn't call herself a designer, but she comes up with some nice ideas. If they're not unique, they're at least things that I haven't seen on other home shows. She stuck with light gray for the interior and exterior, and I'm okay with that.

If I were to watch a flip of flop show this would be the one. They are vets (I'm a Nam vet) so I like that. I know Texas so the locations, style and price of homes I'm familiar with. But as I said before, their renovation cost are not realistic. I managed the redo of a 5000 sq ft home one of my business partners got back in foreclosure. No structural changes or damage, repaint entire interior floor to ceiling, refinish the hardwood floors, all new carpeting and a new deck. We spent a little over $75k. The home was in a large midwestern city/

• Love 1

Last night's episode was a total fail. Obviously, potential buyers thought so too since after 6 weeks, it's still on the market.  First, I didn't understand the "beach" theme.  Second, taking down all the walls was a bad decision.  The main areas (LR, DR, kitchen) looked so much bigger before the renovation.  IMO, they should have widen the doorway between the LR and DR or just the left the wall as is.  Instead of removing the DR built ins, they should have just updated them.  Yes, the original was kitchen was very small, and I can see why they took some space from the DR to make it bigger, but they should have taken a bit of space from the back enclosed porch as well for the kitchen and created a smaller master bedroom/bath.  Also, this was the perfect floor plan to add a big island.  Not only would would the kitchen have more counter space and additional seating, but it would also "separate" the kitchen from the DR.  With their design, the LR, DR and kitchen looked like a studio apartment.  I wasn't a fan of the tile work in either bathroom or the dark blue paint in the foyer.  
I've decided I like the husband more than the wife.  

I was okay with the nautical theme since it wasn't really noticeable (except for the anchor wall hanging). I liked the tile work, especially one of the bathroom floors. When they showed the overhead shot of the backyard and back of the house, it was evident that they hadn't put enough lipstick on that pig. The roof to the add-on (now master) looked even shabbier than the rest of the roof. I don't know the neighborhood that it's in. I wonder if this was a leftover house in an otherwise newer neighborhood of brick homes of 1600 sq ft or more.

I like this show.  Andy and Ashley have loosened up a bit since the first couple of shows and are better at pacing the show/reno.  I don't really pay much attention to the design choices because they're trying to appeal to a certain demographic and the designs are usually bland on bland.  

But, I do like the fact that Andy had a project manager for these flips; he listens to the project manager; the worker bees are shown tearing down walls, framing, etc.  (as opposed to other shows ... cough Property Brothers cough! ... where it seems that Jonathan is doing all the work).  

One other thing: Andy and Ashley are finding some lower priced older homes even though real estate prices in the area are beginning to skyrocket.

• Love 1

DIY already has a "Flipping Nashville" show that I like - the guy likes to keep vintage touches. So will Flip or Flop Nashville be the same old tear down walls, white shaker kitchen cabinets, white subway tile? I guess we'll see.

• Love 1