Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers And Shockers

• Start Topic

I do find it funny after the last few Days episodes being all "WTF" the news dropped fast that Beth Milstein would be joining the writing team after months of whispers.

Someone had to have known it's been sucking.

It's amazing they haven't changed their shooting schedule a bit -- admittedly, I don't know how hard that is to do, probably very -- but it must be hard for them to read forums ranting about things that are 5 months in the rear view mirror for them. Their hands are tied. Eh, maybe they don't care, and also I get the feeling other forums are more forgiving of the show's manipulations or missteps. 

Edited by Lastwaltz
  • Love 2

It's amazing they haven't changed their shooting schedule a bit -- admittedly, I don't know how hard that is to do, probably very -- but it must be hard for them to read forums ranting about things that are 5 months in the rear view mirror for them. Their hands are tied. Eh, maybe they don't care, and also I get the feeling other forums are more forgiving of the show's manipulations or missteps.

Well I can't get mad about the filming schedule. They've been filming 6 months in advance for years now because of the budget and licensing has been slashed. I know YR, the number one soap, had theirs cut a few years ago and their top actors had take paycuts. It's not that they don't care they just have to make due with the cards they've been dealt. Where I don't forgive the soaps they keep hiring the same ol hack writers like a Dena Higley and Chuck Pratt knowing they rep. How many times has Dena been hired by Days?? Like the woman gets hired everytime based off her pitches because it sure isnt because of her amazing writing.

Edited by BlackMamba

I'm getting close to the end of my rope but I guess I'll hold on a little longer to see Beth Milstein's material.  Now I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference.  While watching the show these days, all I can think of is what Erika Slezak said about Higley's writing all those years ago....  

Dena makes noises of, “Oh yes you are wonderful, this and that” and then she writes nothing. She wants to write for her own characters and she wants to write stories that she thinks are interesting but nobody else does.  She doesn’t write stories, she writes events. It’s like one event – let’s have a bomb, let’s have a plane crash – but there is no story.
Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 6

I'm getting close to the end of my rope but I guess I'll hold on a little longer to see Beth Milstein's material. Now I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference. While watching the show these days, all I can think of is what Erika Slezak said about Higley's writing all those years ago....

That sounds exactly like Ron Carliavati, too.

Yep! Ron wrote a lot of campy, over the top stuff too while on OLTL and GH. Erika loved Ron maybe because she got the storylines under him and he actually didn't bastarized her character like Dena did. Remember Dena thought it would be a swell idea to make sure Todd Manning was raped because rapists deserves to get raped.

I want to see with Dena being gone for a while where are the mistakes coming from. It's easy to blame Dena because we know her history writing this show but Josh Griffith could be doing some of this as well. I know with Beth Im going to get character development, character history, romance and humor. Josh Griffith is a dark writer but with him I can tell when he's writing head because the pacing is better and the actors look like they energized even if there is some mistakes in the dialogue. The last several episodes especially Monday's episode I know it's been Higley-vision. The pacing has slowed, the characters have been watered/dummied down, characters being snowed to get storylines to work and the timeline is off severely. How does she continue to make a million dollar check a year blows my mind and why Kenny keeps hiring her I'll never get.

Wow - raw commentary on the current head writer! Where was that published?

Jason47 Facebook

• Love 1

Wow - raw commentary on the current head writer! Where was that published?

Erika Slezak's comments about Dena Higley are from a newsletter to her fans called "Erika's World".  She continues to bash Higley throughout the Q&A session.  It's amusing if you were watching or familiar with OLTL at the time.

The link to the interview is on this page under "Erika Slezak has choice words for Dena Higley (wrote from 2004-2007)"--

http://therealtoddmanning.blogspot.com/2011/02/erika-slezak-has-choice-words-for-dena.html

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 2

Erika Slezak's comments about Dena Higley are from a newsletter to her fans called "Erika's World".  She continues to bash Higley throughout the Q&A session.  It's amusing if you were watching or familiar with OLTL at the time.

The link to the interview is on this page under "Erika Slezak has choice words for Dena Higley (wrote from 2004-2007)"--

http://therealtoddmanning.blogspot.com/2011/02/erika-slezak-has-choice-words-for-dena.html

Oh, I miss Erika Slezak. She was so damn classy that when she let someone have it, you knew they deserved it. Her "words" for Dena were 100% legit, I'm sure. She was not one for sour grapes. She told it as it was. She could do that as she had no shits to give. And she rarely went in on anyone. So you know HIgley was really that awful.

Slezak usually was more diplomatic. My favorite was when she was polite about Trevor St John's Todd and then set herself on fire with love for Roger Howarth's version. It wasn't what she said about the former but the depth of her admiration for the latter that told the truth. Rarely was she THIS direct. Higley was a nightmare for fans but the cast obviously agreed!

Edited by Roxy
  • Love 6

Oh, I miss Erika Slezak. She was so damn classy that when she let someone have it, you knew they deserved it. Her "words" for Dena were 100% legit, I'm sure. She was not one for sour grapes. She told it as it was. She could do that as she had no shits to give. And she rarely went in on anyone. So you know HIgley was really that awful.

Slezak usually was more diplomatic. My favorite was when she was polite about Trevor St John's Todd and then set herself on fire with love for Roger Howarth's version. It wasn't what she said about the former but the depth of her admiration for the latter that told the truth. Rarely was she THIS direct. Higley was a nightmare for fans but the cast obviously agreed!

I loved her nice comments about TSJ that were followed by her love and respect filled comments about RH (wish I had a link to that). I especially loved it because I always felt like TPTB really went out of their way to make people dislike RH. It was both unfair and unprofessional and never dealt with some of RH's real issues (he never really felt comfortable with Todd being turned into the sexy anti-hero after his brutal rape of Marty, RH was always troubled by the reactions he received and the way the show felt the need to tear Marty down just as they built Todd up.) I personally respected RH for how he felt, and unlike others, I never felt that his departures were about trying to hold the show hostage; the fact that we later came to find out how often they extended the olive branch for RH's return indicates that someone on the show knew that too. As for TSJ, I felt he worked as Todd briefly when he and the writers tried to embody RH, but as the character started to be written to fit TSJ (which was only fair to jphim), the essence of who and what Tood was, and what motivated him was lost. I always felt that RH's turmoil over the character is what made RH's Todd such an iconic character. Todd was always uncomfortable in his skin because RH was uncomfortable in Todd's skin.

• Love 4

I don't know why they don't just have JG and BM as co-head writers. They don't need Dena Higley at all.

tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Thats what I don't get. Beth Milstein would get the history of the characters, at least, the vet characters. She would be the one in Josh ear saying "Now, Josh, why Marlena looking in a chimney every episode and being useless? Josh, why isn't Jennifer at 45 not dating and focusing on her career? Josh, why Hope didn't kill her true nemesis Andre instead of Stefano? Now Josh why do we need the vapid nothings in Lani and Fynn on the canvas? Josh, why isn't there any fun and romantic moments on this show?" Etc. Thats what usually a second headwriter does they pick up the nuts and bolts where the first head/new head might not know. Sheri Anderson did that for James Reilly before she left. Jean Passanante did for Hogan Sheffer who was a playwright and knew shit about soaps or how to write them.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 6

From Days's spoilers page:

Monday, January 25th
Andre uncovers Hope’s secret.
Steve realizes Kayla is missing and angrily confronts Ava.
Ciara invites Rafe to join her, Chase, and Hope on a family getaway.
Abigail isn’t thrilled when Chad offers up a surprising suggestion of where they should live.

Tuesday, January 26th
As Rafe and Hope share a warm moment, Andre vows revenge.
Ava forces Steve’s hand, using Kayla as leverage.
Abe becomes concerned when he realizes that Theo has developed feelings for Ciara.
A drunk Joey causes a scene at Ciara’s get-together.

Wednesday, January 27th
Eric is released from the hospital… and promptly arrested.
Victor puts Deimos to the test.
Theresa is jealous of Brady and Nicole’s newfound connection.
Belle blasts Eve for interfering with Claire.

Thursday, January 28th
Before leaving town, Melanie runs into Brady and Theresa.
On the day of Daniel’s funeral, Nicole, Chloe, and Parker struggle with their loss.
Abigail helps JJ deal with Daniel’s death.
Eric declines to attend the funeral, but finds a way to pay tribute to his friend

Friday, January 29th
As part of his revenge plot, Andre breaks into Hope’s house.
Nicole lashes out at a guilt-ridden Eric.
At the Horton cabin, Ciara makes a stunning discovery about Chase.
Brady questions Fynn about the dreams he’s been having of Daniel’s time in California.

Could it be him? Free Eric Brady?? May he come back by the end of the year? Stay tuned!

I saw that too and have my fingers crossed that he is back in Salem.  And that eventually he and Nicole can be a couple.

• Love 2

Why? I'm glad she might move on from Creepy Eddie.

I'm worried the Theresa/Nicole working friendship and BB storyline is going to get trashed by them fighting over Brady. Please, no.

If this show was smart at all, it would have Eric run into Clyde in jail. But that won't happen, even though he's more interesting than his plastic son.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3

Why? I'm glad she might move on from Creepy Eddie.

If this show was smart at all, it would have Eric run into Clyde in jail. But that won't happen, even though he's more interesting than his plastic son.

This will be her third man within a year. She doesn't need to take a ride on every new man over 40 who comes to town.

I believe Clyde was extradited to wherever it is he came from. 

• Love 3

Haybale Truckstop Land?

You're right, I guess Kate keeps getting thrown at every man in her age bracket, but with her last two men being such duds I'm hopeful that seeing her with a corporate bad guy like Deimos might be fun. I assume he's corporate-ish.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

This will be her third man within a year. She doesn't need to take a ride on every new man over 40 who comes to town.

But Kate is a hoe though. She wants to find Mr Right but she can't get the hoe tendencies out her system.

• Love 1

Hope moves as fast as Kate lol. Too fast if you ask me.

I don't think it's every new guy over 40 that has a thing with Kate, there were quite a few younger as well. I think she and VI will have some good chemistry. He's interesting he sparks with lotsa actresses young and older, at least he did on AMC.

• Love 3

I guess Chad sells Sonny's parents the clubs he owned with him to raise capital for the mansion?

He doesn’t need to. Apparently Stefano had given Chad a bunch of money early on, trying to buy his affection. Which Chad invested well. Plus, Stefano set up a trust for Chad. So Chad has money of his own.

I saw that too and have my fingers crossed that he is back in Salem.  And that eventually he and Nicole can be a couple.

Based on GV comments on DishinDays, it seems he was just back to collect some stuff he left on set and see former co-workers. So unless he has been sworn to silence, Eric isn't returning in the immediate future.

Based on GV comments on DishinDays, it seems he was just back to collect some stuff he left on set and see former co-workers. So unless he has been sworn to silence, Eric isn't returning in the immediate future.

That's disappointing, but then again, since I want Eric and Nicole together, it's better that he is away from Salem for a while.  We definitely don't need another couple falling in love so soon after having their "soul-mate" die.

• Love 2

GV said on AfterBuzz that the storyline is open for Eric to return, so I guess that means he won't be dying.

Obviously. Hes probably going to get the Gabi treatment be gone for several months

and be back. KA didn't post that pic from last week for nothing. I think he'll be back maybe after Olympics.

• Love 2