Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers And Shockers

• Start Topic

I'm all in favor of giving the expanded teen scene some parental units.  We always knew there would need to be add some young characters to the soon-to-arrive teens set, since dating within the family left Salem with Chelsea Brady and her Uncle Max.  This crop of recurring are bound to replace the ones we lost, the T's, the Maxine's, the Bev and Rory's.  And maybe a handful will click and stay on.

Last time around, I think Kevin Spirtas and Patrika Darbo were initially recurring.  They were plugged in as insta-parents to Chloe Lane, who was the "fresh blood" in the last successful round of SORASed legacy Salemites.

Three- and six-month story arcs are the way stories are going to be told.  And that means rotating in new faces, who work dirt cheap.

That all pretty much sums up why I'm not watching and am only reading this board. 

• Love 1

I hope for the day that TIIC at soaps realize that these magical teen viewers are already watching programming that's actually good (and mostly not populated with teen characters); and plastering teens on the screen on a badly-written show is not going to help.

I think the teen scene they're doing is a pretty smart choice because a) none of the other daytime soaps really has one right now (GH certainly doesn't) and b) it opens up story avenues for some of the older characters, like it's done in the past when younger characters get SORASed.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I think the teen scene they're doing is a pretty smart choice because a) none of the other daytime soaps really has one right now (GH certainly doesn't) and b) it opens up story avenues for some of the older characters, like it's done in the past when younger characters get SORASed.

I don't necessarily disagree storyline-wise (though personally I've never liked teen storylines on soaps, not even when I was a teen.) But, I think the notion that having teens on soaps is going to attract more of the magical 18-49 demographic is just not born out by years and years of attempts on behalf of daytime soaps. Anecdotally, not a single student (high school and undergrad) that I teach watches soaps; and I highly doubt that having a few teen faces on the show is going to change that.

• Love 2

As a teen, I never liked seeing the kids on Soaps because they were never realistic..Their vocabulary was always a turnoff, because they did not really speak like teens. They spoke like adults. Plus some of the actors  looked too old to be a teenager, yes, I am looking at you Gabrielle Carteris on 90210..I was always more fascinated with the adults than the so-called teens...The soaps endless obsession with procuring young people has severely damaged the genre...

• Love 5

I watched soaps as a kid and teen and I liked some of the younger characters but mostly ones older than me. The adults have the juicy storylines and more dramatic material. Also, the adult actors were more talented and experienced- so more entertaining to watch.

• Love 4

I agree.  I watched Days with my grandmother and sister when I was young, and later when I was in high school and college.  What grabbed me was Doug and Julie's storyline which took years to resolve.  Secondarily, Mickey, Maggie, Bill and Laura and Mike's paternity, which again took years to resolve.  Happily, I started watching much later than Mike's conception, he was a teen.  If I'd known that Bill raped Laura in her hospital room "because she was his true love" while she was married to his brother I would have liked it less.  Watching Mickey rebuild his life with Maggie on the farm was lovely.  

In Junior High I got interested in OLTL and GH.  The ones to watch were Vicki and her two husbands.  Back in the day, when one husband died, and came back after the wife remarried, it was actually not obvious from the get go how this would be resolved.  It could take years.  That is the level of writing I keep hoping for and no longer get in this age of one true loves and 20 second scenes.

• Love 5

I doubt many young folks watch daytime soaps these days, don't you? If any of you are here, let me know, lol. I remember in college I used to try to make my schedule work with Ryan's Hope and General Hospital -- 7 or more of us crowded around a tiny black and white TV, literally about 10 inches wide. Sigh for the old days. 

• Love 3

I think if you write a compelling story it will attract viewers of any age. I was far more interested in Steve/Kayla, Bo/Hope than I was Jennifer and Frankie and that teen scene when I was even younger than them. However, I did enjoy Shawn and Belle's teen romance when I was much older than them. 

kristabell, it's interesting that you mention your students not watching. When I was in college we definitely watched when we weren't in class. Perhaps another indication that the storylines have gone down hill since then. 

• Love 6

That is so true.. I  remember in the lounge room in College, I remember that the soaps would be on and everybody would watch it...It was actually a bonding experience, with people making comments about their favorites and their storylines..It was just like this forum...

• Love 6

Spoilers for the week of October 26

Monday October 26:

Bo is stunned when Steve tells him about Hope’s upcoming wedding.

Abe is unsettled by what he discovers on Lani’s computer.

Tuesday October 27:

Aiden cracks under the pressure of having to kill Hope.

Wednesday October 28:

While visiting a comatose Chad, Eve decides to avenge her daughter’s death.

Thursday October 29:

Chad is arrested for the Necktie murders.

Friday October 30

Steve and Bo risk their lives to get Bo home in time to stop Hope’s wedding.

• Love 1

Steve and Bo risk their lives to get Bo home in time to stop Hope’s wedding.

Why do they have to risk their lives? Do they know that if Hope and Aiden get married Hope could just get an annulment if she wanted? Actually, aren't Bo and Hope still married? I know Hope filled for divorce but she had no idea where Bo was so she wouldn't even know where to send the papers? I'm not sure what the process is for divorcing someone who has disappeared. 

I notice there are no spoilers relating to Will or his family. 

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 4

Why do they have to risk their lives? Do they know that if Hope and Aiden get married Hope could just get an annulment if she wanted? Actually, aren't Bo and Hope still married? I know Hope filled for divorce but she had no idea where Bo was so she wouldn't even know where to send the papers? I'm not sure what the process is for divorcing someone who has disappeared. 

She divorced him in absentia..

They're still dragging out this farce of Chad being the killer I see.

It's not very suspenseful to me some I know damn well what will happen after this, its so obvious.

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 2

I don't know about in the soap world but in rl my friend wanted to divorce her husband who had seemingly disappeared and all she had to do was post it in the local newspaper 3 different times, if he didn't respond then she could (and did) get the divorce without him agreeing or appearing.
  • Love 2

More spoilers for the week of October 26

Monday, October 26, 2015
Kayla and Joey have an emotional confrontation over his latest stunt.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015
Daniel is concerned by Eric’s behavior.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Bo attempts to connect with Hope.

An inebriated Aiden makes a startling confession to Hope.

Thursday, October 29, 2015
Eric receives an urgent message from Sami.

Friday, October 30, 2015
Marlena questions Chad to determine whether or not he’s telling the truth.

I'm glad to konw that soaps are still watched by teens! I also learned by watching ATWT with my mother -- some of my earliest memories are of us watching and sitting with my head in her lap as she rubbed my back, way before kindergarten. Talking early 60s now, lol. Sigh - it's nice to remember those days : )

• Love 2

Please...no teen storylines! I know TPTB probably think they need to get new viewers...but if I have to sit through a bunch of teens, bumbling through teen issues, trying to work through all their teen angst.....ugh!  I'll just turn on one of those nauseating teen shows on cable...or observe my pre-teens.

I wonder if the teen scenes on soaps don't work because teens on tv appeal to tweens and younger?  Kind of how Barbie dolls are advertised by girls who haven't played with a Barbie in years?  I don't remember where I read it (years ago) but with both shows and advertisements, they use the age of the next stage of life to attract the targeted age group.  So if you want to attract teens, you'd have a hot and heavy younger twenty-something scene.  

But a good story is a good story, no matter what the age of the characters.  I'm still kind of irked that I never got to see how Miranda's story played out on AMC.  And I was there for her grandmother's angsty teen years.  And her mother's dramatic coming out story. 

I was a teenager when Julie/Addie and Doug played out (I was riveted) and am glad we at least get to see Clair come back.  4 generations (more or less) on screen is nice.  Too bad we had to have a sadder 4 generations with Marlena, Sami, Will and Ari.  

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 5

They're seldom done well. But they need them to age up for future if soaps are on ten yrs from now. I think the next to fall will be GH then Days.

I agree. I think the CBS soaps will be the last shows standing...They are very popular overseas...

• Love 2

One of the best teen storylines was Lucky & Liz on GH - I was riveted to their story & still re-watch some of it today

I guess the good thing is that Chad's not in a coma for much longer - although I still can't believe they are dragging this out & still insisting that Chad's the killer.

Shawn Douglas shows up this week right?   I was thinking I saw something about this being the week he comes to town.

And Bo & Steve are finally coming face to face?    I'm so happy about that.

• Love 2

James Read said goodbye to Days fans on Twitter, so I guess he's done.

WTH??? We suffer through months of this creepy character and don't even get to see him on the receiving end of his long overdue comeuppance?!?

• Love 4

Shawn D shows up this week with Jason Cook, stays for a bit and then leaves. According to SID Shawn will return but not being played by Jason Cook, but they're not saying who. Assumptions are Brandon Beemer.

• Love 3

Shawn D shows up this week with Jason Cook, stays for a bit and then leaves. According to SID Shawn will return but not being played by Jason Cook, but they're not saying who. Assumptions are Brandon Beemer.

Really?   I didn't realize he was only short term - that makes me sad - I like him as Shawn (I didn't mind Brandon as Shawn - but always liked Jason's version better)

• Love 1

Wasn't it reported awhile ago that Chad's ex from Boston was coming to Salem? Isn't that supposed to be Lani?

Oh, good catch, Lefty. I bet this was abandoned along with Eve gas-lighting Jenn (which would have been fun). 

• Love 1

I think that speculation was based on the audition script she had, which could have had words changed since she doesn't seem to have any history with Chad. She also said it was GG she screen tested with. So may be the audition script was doctored to not give away a real scene of Chad being charged with the killer? Or not to give away her real story with Rafe? 

• Love 1

So strange since she works at the hosptal and he is on the board.  But Theresa talks about Chad likes she knows him.

Dear Saint Abigail must never have any competition.

Edited by bobcat1946
  • Love 1

After having survived a murder attempt by Sami, Chad is going to be attacked by Eve while he's still in a coma.

But he'll survive, of course, and then will be arrested.  When he comes out of a coma, he won't remember how he wound up at the hospital.

• Love 1

Spoilers sound great.

Bo and Steve returning!

Sounds like it'll be a long week if Nov 2 the town is gathering for the gala, but on Nov 9 is when it'll begin. It'll probably be the gala celebration day for the majority of November.

Can't wait for Abby to find out about Ben, but if she's dumb like Will confronting him or has no poker face at all she's going to end up being kidnapped or something is going to happen to her before she can get help too.

Sami's news must be EJ related, because she probably still hasn't gone to see her or tell her kids Will died. Will who is probably what she's thinking because her writing is all EJ obsessed.

http://soaps.sheknows.com/days-of-our-lives/spoilers

Monday November 2:

All of Salem gathers at the Martin House to celebrate the town’s Bicentennial Gala – a night which promises to be full of romance, mystery, and danger.

Abigail is stunned when she stumbles upon incriminating evidence against Ben!

Tuesday November 3:

Hope and Aiden’s wedding begins.

Wednesday November 4:

Adrienne is shaken when she witnesses Eve and Justin in a passionate kiss.

Thursday November 5:

Steve and Bo arrive in Salem! But has Hope’s fate already been sealed?

Friday November 6:

Sami returns to town armed with startling news.

Monday November 9:

The Salem Bicentennial celebration begins.

Sami's EJ news is the only thing holding my attention. We all know Bo/Steve will arrive in time to save Hope and that Trollop is in no real danger because that's just how this show props her. Adrienne has no right to be upset about Justin kissing any woman after the way she's treated him.

• Love 3