Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers And Shockers

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 3/3/2021 at 10:00 AM, Irlandesa said:

Most of the time, mental and physical attraction drive a body's physiological response around the sexual organs but not always.  Sometimes the right touch or pressure can trigger a response the same way touching the uvula can trigger a gag reflex even though very few actually want that. 

Good example.

Prostate exams are also upsetting for men because it can potentially trigger a pleasurable feeling or erection but involves being digitally penetrated by a virtual stranger, often another man, which is for many completely taboo and shameful. Plenty of guys refuse/avoid them altogether, even though they're important for their health. There is a sense of violation there.

So while men technically can't ever know what its like to be forcefully penetrated in a vaginal assault, it isn't too foreign a concept.

Feeling violated, helpless, manipulated, used, unclean...those can be sadly universal experiences. 

On this show, though, the closest we've come to guys being permitted to have those feelings are Eric, whose nightmare flashbacks of being raped by Kristen were framed as his tormented fantasies about his repressed feelings for Nicole...something the audience was intended to find kinky somehow...and Nick's PTSD about being raped in prison, which I heard about from you guys more than saw on the show. How deep a dive was it?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 6
(edited)
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Bruises.  No bruises.  Using a dick.  Not using a dick.  It's all rape and it's all illegal.  It's the act and not how the victim reacted which defines the crime.  

Understood. Then why is it that we never hear of men reporting a "rape"??

Remember now, I'm only talking about the use of the actual word, not the act itself.

Edited by MsTree
(edited)

...I suppose because there has been a long-standing (and false) gendered use of the term. It's true that in media reports, I tend to hear more about men being molested/sexually abused/assaulted...but perhaps that's done in an effort not to further emasculate the victims since rape against men is already viewed as making them less of a man. Society has long perpetuated this idea that a man is by default stronger than a woman, "up for it" 24/7 and dominant. For a man to be not into a sexual encounter? For him to have been weaker or submissive? Victimised? Well, golly, that's not much of a man at all, now is it? So, to avoid further shaming the victims, they probably decide in the newsroom to use terms other than rape....also, so as to not confuse the portions of their viewership who may still think that rape can only happen to women.

Consider how you rarely hear people say a man is "beautiful". It has become a gendered word, when its meaning is clearly not unique to females. "Pretty" as another one. Instead, we're sort of trained to say "boys are handsome" and that's that. Calling a man beautiful or pretty is seen as insulting their manliness, even though the meaning is still clear. He looks good.

This may be why you haven't heard men describing themselves as being raped. The stigma of saying that word is greater in some ways for men because people will tend to roll their eyes. But men can be, and are, raped. 

I know I've heard the term used plenty over the years on Law & Order SVU with regards to male victims. I don't watch it anymore though. Depressing. And the writing and cast changes put me off.

Here's an interesting article I just found about male rape stats, if you're curious:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/503492/

Victims of Sandusky, men, were called survivors of rape. Here's a headline:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBRE85B03Q20120614

So the term is used. Maybe you haven't come across it though.

Edit: The accounts in that Sandusky case are just heartbreaking...and also touch on the shame these guys felt, including "how do you tell your mother something like that?" 😞

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 7

Sami better stick w Belle as her lawyer. Justin hasn’t won a case in like 10 years. 

She should try to find a way to stall the case... Salem PD is run by 2 idiots and a pushover they will for sure bungle the case. 

Oh and here we have another dumbass Allie bringing her son to visit his homicidal rapist mobster granny. So sweet. 

• LOL 5
18 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Well Justin did win Bonnie's case with her book deal which is why we're stuck with them as a couple(because apparently having her be Adrienne would be too simple/boring for this show)

Adrienne annoyed me so I'm good with it. It appears like Judi prefers Bonnie anyway.

• Love 3
(edited)
42 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Adrienne annoyed me so I'm good with it. It appears like Judi prefers Bonnie anyway.

She  has said that Bonnie is more fun to play because she intimated that the writers have no clue on how to write for Adrienne.  Adrienne has much more longevity as a character than that insipid Bonnie and she was heartbroken when they killed off Adrienne.. I adored Adrienne in her original run back when we had competent writers who knew how to write for a heroine.  It is a shame that I will never see Adrienne with her other 3 sons given how she struggled with infertility or interact with her brothers since she was desperate to reunite her family to mend her mother's broken heart.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3

Current and previewed kidnap victims:

Ciara

Claire

Gwen

Sarah (?)

And, yet another wedding disaster. I can picture the scripts with the last character's names scratched put and replaced with the next round. So so so very stupid and lazy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Ciara

Claire

Gwen

Sarah (?)

And, yet another wedding disaster. I can picture the scripts with the last character's names scratched put and replaced with the next round. So so so very stupid and lazy.

This is Ron being himself..

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I really wish writers would sit down and watch British soaps and start ripping them off.

Do they have a better budget? I think it can only go so far. I only say this because Y&R hired Mal Young and that didn't end well.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

Ciara

Claire

Gwen

Sarah (?)

And up till a week ago Lani’s Twins and Ava. 

Each month it’s a given we’ll have a kidnapping, someone back from dead, and a rapist. Occasionally Ron when pushed will spice w a crazy interloper coming to town obsessed w someone in a  super couple.

• Love 5
(edited)
53 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Do they have a better budget? I think it can only go so far. I only say this because Y&R hired Mal Young and that didn't end well.

True. They have to. There's a ton of outdoor shots and licensed copyrighted music, especially on Hollyoaks. 

Edited by methodwriter85
51 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

And up till a week ago Lani’s Twins and Ava. 

Each month it’s a given we’ll have a kidnapping, someone back from dead, and a rapist. Occasionally Ron when pushed will spice w a crazy interloper coming to town obsessed w someone in a  super couple.

I guess this means Rex will come back crazy and obsessed with Sara. Or we can go for broke and have the Gay Offensive Stereotype come back determined to win Xander.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

Isn't whatsizname (first name Greg?) a regular on General Hospital?

I am pretty sure Greg Rikaart was never on GH.

Ugh at Chloe/Brady pushing Rex at Sarah. I hope that's not why he's back. I love him and I don't want Sarah and her baby voice and annoyingness to ruin him dammit!

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, Rex as her would-be hubby is so over. It would be better if he just came back because, you know, as a friend he's worried about her marrying the guy whose lies amd schemes drove her to kidnapping a baby, running off to Europe and then tying him up in a hotel room.

I would have nothing but good things to say about Chloe and Brady also intervening to help Sarah because they know firsthand how dangerous Xander really is...if that was all this was actually about. He shot Brady after all. And Marlena. And left Chloe to get raped for life in Mexico. But no...this will all be about Brady and Chloe teaming up and falling in love again....and Rex still being in love with Sarah...

Stupid.

Adults can still be friends Ron. And ONLY motivated by concern. It happens all the time.

I hate how often conversations on this show have sexual undertones. Like the Abe and Kate scenes last year. They should just be friends and colleagues but no...chem test them!!! 🙄

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, brisbydog said:

IMG_20210306_091802.jpg

There's literally over a half dozen people in town who expressed an interest in killing Charlie, one of whom lives in his house and the other he shares custody of a stuffed animal with, and it's going to take Rafe till Wednesday to pursue a only one of them? Dude should either be working overtime or set up a mass interrogation site where Allie, Kate, Belle, Claire, Lucas, Tripp, Ava, Nicole, and John (am I missing anyone who hurled threats?) can drive through and answer questions and maybe even test for gun powder residue.

Isn't Rex with Mimi? Though I could understand why he'd leave her behind. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Rex cheated on Sarah with her sister and got her pregnant... why does he think he has a shot at her? Don't answer that lol Sarah does get over anything 

Rex cheated on Sarah's sister Noelle but he didn't get her pregnant.

Rex cheated on Sarah with Mimi and got her pregnant.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1

Sarah Horton is a grown woman who can make her choice of who she marries. She knows Xander has had a problematic past and is currently problematic and will be problematic in the future. She still loves him. He pretty much treats her like a Queen. These people can maybe take a look at their own lives and relationships.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Rex cheated on Sarah's sister Noelle but he didn't get her pregnant.

Rex cheated on Sarah with Mimi and got her pregnant.

Yes one was her best friend that worked at the hospital. And immediately after then with his ex weirdo Mimi. At any rate, I like Rex a lot so don’t want him pursuing Sarah. I prefer him w Chloe. Or single and just being a voice of reason and comedic relief in others stories. The show needs a sane nice guy who isn’t an idiot to spark with all the others. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I will say that I did really like Sarah and Rex's scenes back when she had Rachel in France.  They were the kind of scenes that would make me ship a couple but when a show is trying to actually set up a couple--they don't get writing like that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I hate how often conversations on this show have sexual undertones. Like the Abe and Kate scenes last year. They should just be friends and colleagues but no...chem test them!!! 🙄

Back in the day on the old school message boards I read a comment joking about how Kate talks like a phone sex operator. I never forgot it because it's true. Lol

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Isn't Rex with Mimi? Though I could understand why he'd leave her behind. 

I don’t remember him getting back with Mimi but that definitely doesn’t mean it isn’t true lol.

29 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Or single and just being a voice of reason and comedic relief in others stories. The show needs a sane nice guy who isn’t an idiot to spark with all the others. 

This. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I will say that I did really like Sarah and Rex's scenes back when she had Rachel in France.  They were the kind of scenes that would make me ship a couple but when a show is trying to actually set up a couple--they don't get writing like that. 

The actors have chemistry and I didn't mind them together I preferred them over Eric/Sarah. I think long term Rex/Sarah make more sense than Xander/Sarah. Probably because I don't think Rex has this idyllic view of Sarah that Xander does. However Xander actually puts Sarah first go figure.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

True. They have to. There's a ton of outdoor shots and licensed copyrighted music, especially on Hollyoaks. 

Emmerdale has an entire TOWN, with an active farm and a bar that serves real beer on tap. Hollyoaks has an outdoor shopping area with a huge pub.

You can visit the Emmerdale set.

https://www.emmerdalevillagetour.co.uk/

(edited)
4 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

The actors have chemistry and I didn't mind them together I preferred them over Eric/Sarah. I think long term Rex/Sarah make more sense than Xander/Sarah. Probably because I don't think Rex has this idyllic view of Sarah that Xander does. However Xander actually puts Sarah first go figure.

I find it refreshing that a man puts a woman first on a soap these days and for that alone that I can get behind Xander and Sarah as a couple.  Event though it was hard for me to get over he and Kristen's scheme to violate her body..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

I find it refreshing that a man puts a woman first on a soap these days and for that alone that I can get behind Xander and Sarah as a couple.  Event though it was hard for me to get over he and Kristen's scheme to violate her body..

In Xander's defence he was not scheming to do that,  he hated it but Kristen blackmailed him

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I think that's why I don't hate this pairing like I normally would. He does put her first not some other woman like the other couples and he hasn't been completely neutered(as he still has a shady side that he directs to everyone else).

Course Ben does the same with Ciara and I don't like them.  Probably because with Xander Sarah isn't telling people who have a reason to hate Xander to suddenly get over it either. Which helps a lot plus they aren't as depressing compared to the rest of the show.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, Artsda said:

Brady can't figure out Kristen broke out, but he'll try to judge Xander by pushing Rex on Sarah? 

Also "encouraging Rex to fight for Sarah"? Fight for what? She is engaged to someone else and there is no indicator that she is interested in ever considering a reconciliation with someone who cheated on her twice, once with her sister. 

Also... can this FINALLY be the straw that breaks her hold over poor dumb Brady???

IMG_20210307_084118.jpg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Logically I'd think he's calling for help, but Ben's not exactly known for doing the logical when it comes to the phone so I wouldn't be surprised if he's snapping a selfie and marking them 'safe from explosion' on Facebook. 

Days-of-Our-Lives-Spoilers-Ben-Weston-Ro

Edited by Peanut6711
  • LOL 11
2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Logically I'd think he's calling for help, but Ben's not exactly known for doing the logical when it comes to the phone so I wouldn't be surprised if he's snapping a selfie and marking them 'safe from explosion' on Facebook. 

I also thought selfie at first lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

His waxed eyebrows and “Blue Steel” face expression make this look like a parody or a still from movie about male strippers who open a detective agency by day. 

• LOL 11
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

His waxed eyebrows and “Blue Steel” face expression make this look like a parody or a still from movie about male strippers who open a detective agency by day. 

His drag queen eyebrows have driven me crazy since he was Petey on All My Children. I keep thinking he'd be so much attractive with more natural eyebrows. At this point he probably can't grow natural eyebrows for as long as he's being doing those girlish arches.

That, and the fact that he's trying SO hard to cover his natural Boston accent by keeping his voice as flat as he can just crack me up.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, tribeca said:

Kristin better not hurt Sarah.   I will be done with her.  

I've BEEN done with Kristen for decades now. Hope this mess somehow ends with her pushing up daisies. Permanently, not Days "dead".

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I've BEEN done with Kristen for decades now. Hope this mess somehow ends with her pushing up daisies. Permanently, not Days "dead".

Same here. Kristen is still the same pathetic sad piece of shit that she has always been.  She had the child she has always longed for and Brady who is an idiot is at her beck and call. Yet she is still dissatisfied and unhappy, causing mayhem.. She has no relevance and Ron is just reliving the JER years when Kristen and her doppelgangers were driving stories.  At least it was entertaining back then but it is just stupid now.  

• Love 12