Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Joy and Austin's Camping Trip

• Start Topic

I wish on  TV they would show us more of the Duggars "uncut".  The  Duggars we see on TV are different from the hateful things the Duggars posts on social media.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 7

What Jessa wants Jessa gets

I felt for Ben in this episode, he has no voice in this relationship. And he knows that having a voice would come at a cost so he keeps his mouth shut 

Not a healthy relationship

Edited by Totally
  • Love 13
49 minutes ago, ariel said:

I wish on  TV they would show us more of the Duggars "uncut".  The  Duggars we see on TV are different from the hateful things the Duggars posts on social media.

Totally agree. We see edited snippets. Nothing like real life. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, floridamom said:

If wives are supposed to submit to their husbands, why didn't Jessa submit to Ben's wishes in the thrift store and put those toys back? I think they're full of it.

He did say he had to "pick his fights" if I remember correctly but still, considering their TLC paycheck, you'd think they could afford some new stick horses but then again, the Duggars don't have much to offer in terms of substantial entertainment so I guess that was one of the most interesting things they did for that ep.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, sATL said:

how far from is Laredo from the border? I am wondering if the store was  in Mexico. seems odd that the store had no visible sign as to name, location, wrapped in newspaper into a plain brown box, etc. Not to mention the prices of what they bought. I saw little orange tags on some things, but not all . didn't see prices on shelves. I would think the J&J would be a on a very tight budget - even for a sister wedding

I went to a store in Tuscon that sold colorful pottery from Mexico like the stuff Jinger bought. It was a warehouse and the stuff was inexpensive. It's pretty fragile and chips easily. My flowerpot chipped but I still love it. I wish I could have bought more.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, PradaKitty said:

Yeah, the pottery was great. Where is that store and do they have on line shopping?  This would have been the perfect marketing opportunity for them.

Is that pottery safe to use for cooking purposes or is it more for decoration?

1 hour ago, ariel said:

That is way too sophisticated a question for Duggars. What is this "cooking" to which you refer?

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ariel said:

I think it is safe for tortilla chips.  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't use it for cooking or put it in the dishwasher.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ariel said:

We were told not to use our beautiful pottery from Mexico for cooking, but that was many years ago. It had something to do with lead leaching out. Dry foods were fine. I don’t know if that is still the case.

I just finished watching this. Jana and how she was relating to Laura reminded me of my relationship with one of my exes. She was not out to her parents. We went to lunch with them. Without verbal discussion, we swapped the items from our salads  from hers to mine and vice versa (she liked tomatoes, I liked onions, whatever). Then we looked at each other like, "oh, shit." (Her parents did not notice because it was not what they were looking for.) That was the level of interaction I thought I saw between Jana and Laura. For her sake, I hope I am right.

• Love 21
12 hours ago, floridamom said:

Oh, WAIT.....how could be have missed them all admit that JOY has the stinkiest  FEET? When her brothers were asked 'who has the worst'...they said JOY without hesitation and Austin said that she did, too. I'm amazed that those two, who couldn't even hold hands until engagement, knew about Joy's dirty, smelly feet? Those awful dirty shoes she wears with no socks don't help. A shower every night would help out in that area. I don't want to think about the sheet over her mattress in her bed. Also, those bedrooms were a filthy mess. I'm sure that house smells badly too

I am really grossed out by Joy's lack of hygiene. I don't think she even washed her hair to go to the salon. Her shoes are disgusting and who knows if she even bathes.

The boys bedroom looked filthy. 7000sq foot house and they are packed in like sardines. It looked like a jail cell.

Also to me, Joy looked pregnant in this episode. JMO

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I am really grossed out by Joy's lack of hygiene. I don't think she even washed her hair to go to the salon. Her shoes are disgusting and who knows if she even bathes.

The boys bedroom looked filthy. 7000sq foot house and they are packed in like sardines. It looked like a jail cell.

Also to me, Joy looked pregnant in this episode. JMO

I noticed a belly when she was at the reno/rehab house. 

Joy seems much more in her element bossing people around preparing for the camping trip than she does with anything wedding-related. 

I just watched today and didn't notice any Jana and Laura interaction of note. Maybe I'll fast-forward through and look again. Any particular scene?

• Love 3
On 10/4/2017 at 2:13 AM, mythoughtis said:

Jessa henpecks Ben. She shouldn’t be doing that any more than he should be expecting her to submit.  I think that is what the poster meant by the aisle 4 comment.  They need to find mutual respect and partnership. Instead Jessa sets all the rules and doesn’t listen to a word Ben says.  

Agreed. Neither partner should be controlling. 

8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I just finished watching this. Jana and how she was relating to Laura reminded me of my relationship with one of my exes. She was not out to her parents. We went to lunch with them. Without verbal discussion, we swapped the items from our salads  from hers to mine and vice versa (she liked tomatoes, I liked onions, whatever). Then we looked at each other like, "oh, shit." (Her parents did not notice because it was not what they were looking for.) That was the level of interaction I thought I saw between Jana and Laura. For her sake, I hope I am right.

Oh my goodness, I am so interested to read this. I sensed the same thing but thought I was seeing it because I wanted to see it. If it's not romantic attraction, then Jana seems genuinely at ease with Laura and I'm glad she has a real friendship with her, if nothing else. Did I miss something? Was it explained how Laura suddenly fit into the picture, or was she just called a family friend? I wonder if she attends their creepy church. It seems to be their only way of meeting people, so probably.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, floridamom said:

If wives are supposed to submit to their husbands, why didn't Jessa submit to Ben's wishes in the thrift store and put those toys back? I think they're full of it.

Seems that Jessa, whether she knows it or not, carefully imbibed the lessons she got all those years from JB and M on how to completely squelch other people and run life as if their opinions don't even exist. I suppose it's unlikely you could grow up in the TTH without turning into either a complete submissive idiot, a massive and successful control freak or a person whose superpower is being passive aggressive.

I don't think that a Duggar upbringing equips anybody with reasonable people skills or relationship sense of any kind. Every one of them would be an awful partner -- unless the Duggar's dysfunctional relationship style meshed precisely with your own bad relationship style. In which case, it'd still be a bad partnership but for a while at least neither of you would know that it was. 

• Love 13
15 hours ago, ariel said:

YES. I would watch every single second of it. 

Instead of asking the random Joe->Jacksons' about what color Joy would be if she was a couch, ask them their opinions on gay marriage and healthcare.

I would love to hear Jinger's real, honest answer about how her married life is better/different than before

Give me a unedited day of the Dullards. PLEASE. Show Derrick tweeting ! Come on!!!

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 14
18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

He's still in love right now.  The bloom will be off the rose soon, whether it's weeks, months, or in a year or so.  Her shortcomings and her hygiene will start to annoy him, but he'll be stuck for life with her along with x number of kids.    

I noticed Austin seemed rather disgusted when Joy reached in a took a bite of his smore.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, louannems said:

When Joy scooped Josie off the kitchen counter, (where that child seems to live),  I noticed Josie wearing glasses.

And she asked her if she was supposed to be up there. I liked that. I hope someone else steps in to take up the slack since Joy's gone. Besides has-to-be-overworked Jana. 

• Love 8

This episode reminded me of why I despise camping....a ton of work and expense to set up and be uncomfortable and then a ton of work to tear down and go home...drop me off at a Hampton Inn please!

I was shocked, SHOCKED I say, that the boy and girl hammocks were allowed to be so close each other! My pearls are clutched!

• Love 17
1 hour ago, asuwur said:

This episode reminded me of why I despise camping....a ton of work and expense to set up and be uncomfortable and then a ton of work to tear down and go home...drop me off at a Hampton Inn please!

I was shocked, SHOCKED I say, that the boy and girl hammocks were allowed to be so close each other! My pearls are clutched!

Well to be fair most people don't just camp one night and go back home after breakfast. I vastly prefer tent camping to a hotel (germophope). 

• Love 5

If it's not romantic attraction, then Jana seems genuinely at ease with Laura and I'm glad she has a real friendship with her

Yes, Jana seems really relaxed around her, perhaps the happiest I've ever noticed. Sometimes a deep friendship evolves into a romantic relationship. With so many of the Duggar relationships being planned this would be truly unusual as well as amazing.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, louannems said:

When Joy scooped Josie off the kitchen counter, (where that child seems to live),  I noticed Josie wearing glasses.

Nothing worse than someone's ass on a freaking kitchen counter. I get it if she were two and plopped up there but as my southern mama used to say "She needs some training. Child is too old to be acting like a fool".

• Love 11
On 10/3/2017 at 7:30 AM, doodlebug said:

He is Michelle's sister's grandchild.  Michelle's sister had custody due to some bad family circumstances involving his parents (drug use, I think), but she had a stroke and could no longer care for him.  Michelle and Jim-Bob stepped up and took custody of him which I would usually consider to be a wonderful act of kindness and charity; but, considering their messed-up family dynamics, may not be a great thing for Tyler.

I am sure that the foster kid allowance was a little incentive.  I don't see JB doing this if there wasn't SOME incentive.  Yes, I think he is that much of an asshole.  I AM just assuming they are getting state $ for taking in this child.  

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I am sure that the foster kid allowance was a little incentive.  I don't see JB doing this if there wasn't SOME incentive.  Yes, I think he is that much of an asshole.  I AM just assuming they are getting state $ for taking in this child.  

I'm sure old Jim Boob has something up his sleeve with this.  Maybe the shortage of female j-slaves?   He might be into a male doing women's work if he didn't sire him.

• Love 3

The Duggars do not have CUSTODY of Tyler. They were granted permanent GUARDIANSHIP of him. There is a big difference. He is not a "Duggar" like an adopted child would be, legally. Michelle's niece, her sister's daughter, and Tyler's mother was arrested for theft. She already had some tough times and this took Tyler from her. Tyler's grandmother, Michelle's sister, was awarded Tyler, then she had a stroke (I'm sorry this occurred). Tyler needed a home, so rather than go to foster care, Jim Bob and Michelle stepped up and offered to take care of him for the time being.

I would think there is some financial compensation from the state for this action. I'm glad Tyler has relatives to live with and not in that awful foster care system. He looks like a nice boy and I hope the Duggars aren't too much of a shock for him. He can't watch cartoons anymore, go to school, have friends outside of them, nor can he play community/school sports. NO TV either.

I wish him the best.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I would think there is some financial compensation from the state for this action. I'm glad Tyler has relatives to live with and not in that awful foster care system. He looks like a nice boy and I hope the Duggars aren't too much of a shock for him. He can't watch cartoons anymore, go to school, have friends outside of them, nor can he play community/school sports. NO TV either.

I wish him the best.

Wow, the foster care system in AR must be truly horrible if it is worse than living with the Duggars.  I wish the kid the best too.

• Love 4

If Tyler had been in state custody prior to guardianship, then yes the Duggars would be getting monthly subsidy. But there is no subsidy when foster system isn’t involved.

Joy is trying SO hard to be the “right” wife. It makes me sad because she doesn’t know that there is no such thing. God I hate JB and MEchelle

• Love 5

Regarding Tyler, I don't think taking him in was something Michelle and JB really wanted to do, there were just no other options. They're savvy enough to know what a PR disaster it would be if the media found out the wealthy, Christian Duggars allowed a relative to go to foster care. So Jana got a new son.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Regarding Tyler, I don't think taking him in was something Michelle and JB really wanted to do, there were just no other options. They're savvy enough to know what a PR disaster it would be if the media found out the wealthy, Christian Duggars allowed a relative to go to foster care. So Jana got a new son.

I completely agree with this!!  They probably were afraid of another media frenzy.

• Love 2

Granted I'm a germophobe but when Austin went to reach into Joy's hammock to feel her feet, all I could think was -- nooooo she has the hygenie of a 10 yr old boy and doesn't necessarily bathe daily, do not touch her visibly black feet when you are about to eat breakfast in 10 min. Breakfast consisted of what looked like a huge pan of scrambled eggs to be wrapped in tortillas so Austin was going to have to touch breakfast (bc it can' all be eaten with a fork) after touching his beloved's feet without having any opportunity to wash hands since they were on a campground.

Glad to see Ben's geromphobe status is in tact even though he's not allowed an opinion in his own home. You could see how grossed out he was when his wife went after the stick horses and rocking horse and insisted -- it's fine -- there's no lice. She didn't even look and even if she did -- it's not like that stuff is visible to the naked eye upon one glance. I tend to agree with Ben here -- he rightfully does not want to introduce bed bugs into his home which is always a possibility with soft items that you can't wash and run thru the dryer. If I were him I would have insisted that they were staying in the trunk of the car parked in the sun for the next 2 days to kill off anything on them. Of course he likely said nothing bc he knows he has on say in what happens in his own home.

• Love 12
On 10/3/2017 at 9:30 AM, doodlebug said:

may not be a great thing for Tyler.

Don't you mean Jyler?

During the shoe quiz, you could see Jana in the background hardly cracking a single smile.  She was NOT amused.  And she had nobody to feed her S'more, poor thing.  

I have a THING about kids & counters.  I pitched a mini-fit last week, in line at Arby's behind a woman who plopped her diapered-butt child on the counter to order.  When she was gone, I demanded that the counter person wipe down the offending area STAT.  It's beyond disgusting to imagine what was on that child's rear end.  What is wrong with people that think that's acceptable?  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, leighdear said:

Don't you mean Jyler?

During the shoe quiz, you could see Jana in the background hardly cracking a single smile.  She was NOT amused.  And she had nobody to feed her S'more, poor thing.  

I have a THING about kids & counters.  I pitched a mini-fit last week, in line at Arby's behind a woman who plopped her diapered-butt child on the counter to order.  When she was gone, I demanded that the counter person wipe down the offending area STAT.  It's beyond disgusting to imagine what was on that child's rear end.  What is wrong with people that think that's acceptable?  

I hate to break it to you, but the hands that people routinely rest on counter tops are far more likely to be disgusting than the OUTSIDE of a diaper. Just saying! And I hope you asked the employee rather than demanded. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, becca3891 said:

I hate to break it to you, but the hands that people routinely rest on counter tops are far more likely to be disgusting than the OUTSIDE of a diaper. Just saying! And I hope you asked the employee rather than demanded. 

Of course I was polite.  I even used both "please" and "thank you".

And I'm well aware of the transmission rate of germs in public retail and how best to contend with them, as I work in healthcare. 

Thanks for your concern.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Austin is a hard working young man.  He's a looker.

Joy is a very young girl used to running in the yard shoeless with her brothers.

What's the attraction?

Austin wants kids and thus needed a wife. Joy was available and wouldn't require much romancing or courting since he grew up around her. He likes her bros and thought it'd be easy to just marry one of their sisters and thus have inlaws he likes. Plus most girls in fundie land are girly girls or turn into it when it comes to courting/newlywed years. He doesn't strike me like a Chad Paine who was going to have tears in his eyes as he did sweet gestures for his woman and who was going to lay out the red carpet for her. He was probably attracted to the one fundie girl he'd ever seen who was a genuine tomboy - likes construction; is down for kayaking, waking barefoot in the woods etc. In that sense she's his "equal" and like one of the boys so he doesn't have to work hard to understand her.

• Love 10
On 10/5/2017 at 3:54 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

Does Joy think she knows more about construction that Austin does ? She sure seems to be second guessing him a lot when they are at the house ?

Well, she did build the TTH. She was, what, about 8 years old? and wearing flip flops? The Duggars just have this natural genius for all facets of the building industry. ... Apparently. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Joy is a very young girl used to running in the yard shoeless with her brothers.

What's the attraction?

Austin is more “doable” than “looker”. 

Joy is “workable”. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, cereality said:

Granted I'm a germophobe but when Austin went to reach into Joy's hammock to feel her feet, all I could think was -- nooooo she has the hygenie of a 10 yr old boy and doesn't necessarily bathe daily, do not touch her visibly black feet when you are about to eat breakfast in 10 min. Breakfast consisted of what looked like a huge pan of scrambled eggs to be wrapped in tortillas so Austin was going to have to touch breakfast (bc it can' all be eaten with a fork) after touching his beloved's feet without having any opportunity to wash hands since they were on a campground.

Your post had me thinking. Maybe, just maybe, someone in that group thought ahead to bring some type of cleansing wipes.  Geez with all the babies in that family I'm hoping they threw in a case or two of baby wipes.

6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

What's the attraction?

She's dumb and willing to submit 100% to his authority. She also comes from $$$ and her family has a TV show, which could benefit Austin's family's business.

But if she didn't have all that to raise her stock? It wouldn't happen in a million years. Joy is gross and dirty. The more I see her, the more I think nothing is attractive or likeable about her. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, becca3891 said:

I hate to break it to you, but the hands that people routinely rest on counter tops are far more likely to be disgusting than the OUTSIDE of a diaper. Just saying!  

If that's true, I'd still rather see hands on a counter than a baby in diapers.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 5

Joy without makeup looks like Hannie. I liked that she was willing to go all tomboy and not glam herself up for CAMPING. Jana looked ridiculous with her hair and makeup out in the woods (but in her defense, I despise camping and never leave home without my mascara). 

I also really liked that Joy got Josie off the counter, and said I love you to Jennie.  And she’s a randy little character. I think they’ll be happy. When I first got married I was thrilled to death to live with my husband in our own little apartment. Looking back now - um yeah, sort of a dump. But it didn’t matter at the time. And I also got pregnant right away. Life changed for the better as my husband had a real education and a great job. At least Austin has real skills and can work his way up instead of going the faux preacher route. 

• Love 8