Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Joy and Austin's Camping Trip

• Start Topic

How do Joy and Kendra know the phrase ' but wait, there's more'. They've been watching infomercials. 

Derick and Jill always sound so stilted when they are in TH, so much more so than any of the other adult Duggars.  Austin is even more comfortable than these two. 

• Love 8

I'm always surprised by how much slang and pop culture references they use. Where do they learn it and know how to use it in the correct context if they aren't steeped in it every day?  Confuses me. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Why can't Jessa go shopping without all the kids and Ben? Leave Ben at home with the kids or drop the kids off at Grandmas. Oh, wait, the Grandma they live by has never once watched those kids. The Grandma that would watch them lives 4 hours away. 

Bens done. Trapped, but done. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I'm always surprised by how much slang and pop culture references they use. Where do they learn it and know how to use it in the correct context if they aren't steeped in it every day?  Confuses me. 

Yeah, I noticed Joy saying, "The ball's in his court."  It struck me as odd for a Duggar to be saying that.  I guess JB and Michelle brought over some slang from when they were young and normal.

• Love 7

I wonder if Jim Bob approved that make-up session.

31 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

How do Joy and Kendra know the phrase ' but wait, there's more'. They've been watching infomercials. 

Derick and Jill always sound so stilted when they are in TH, so much more so than any of the other adult Duggars.  Austin is even more comfortable than these two. 

Maybe Jim Bob and Michelle watched "In Living Colour" back when they owned a TV.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I wondered if it occurred to the girls that the make-up guy could possibly be gay.  I'd love it if he were.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 10
(edited)

So they couldn't hold hands until they were engaged, but Austin can now reach under Joys covers in the hammock and feel her 'feet'?.  Joy and Austin seem much more touchy -feely during their  engagement than Josh/Anna, Derick/Jill, or Ben/Jessa. Jinger/Jeremy maybe too. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 10

I am sure this has already been discussed, but were there any more details of the boy (was his name Tyler?) who Jessa and Ben took shopping with them? She said he was her cousin and that Michelle and Jim Bob have guardianship? Everyone here is way more on the ball with all things Duggar than I am. Is he on Michelle's or Jim Bob's side of the family. I am sure the kid's circumstances were less than ideal to end up living with the Duggars, but I feel sorry for him if he ends up Duggar-ized.

• Love 2

Joy said that she and Austin wanted to do camping because it's fun...but in the same sentence said she would only do it with him and that she'd never done it. How did she know it was fun? Because Austin thinks it's fun?

When I was in college, my school did a ten mile hike.  You did the hike, had a BBQ, and hopped on the air conditioned shuttle back to school.  This guy that I had my eye on decided to walk the ten miles back and asked my 200 pound, stubby body if I wanted to walk with him.  I put on my sweetest countenance and said SURE (TOTALLY)! His idea of fun was my idea of fun, even if it meant stopping every thirty minutes to find my inhaler.  It was NOT fun, it was 102 degrees, and I bled through my super cool pink Converse shoes.  Speaking of blood, when he got the idea to donate, my anemic self sat right there next to him ready for a needle in my arm.  Joy and Austin remind me SO much of this scenario.  I was 18, he was my first "love".  He wasn't pushy by any means but I wanted to impress him so badly! Thankfully, I did NOT marry him and I lived to tell this story. 

I keep reminding myself that Joy is a girl who wants to impress her first crush and I feel better about her need to ask "how high" when he says "jump."  That's normal  for a crush. Until I realize that she has literally married her first crush. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 24

The half set of Kardashian lashes made me laugh. 

“Welcome home

Jackson

I

Missed

You

-Mom

What sort of brainwashing camp did you send sweet, sweet Jackson to you sick bitch?

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

So they couldn't hold hands until they were engaged, but Austin can now reach under Joys covers in the hammock and feel her 'feet'?.  Hy and Austin seem much more touchy feels during there engagement than Josh/Anna, Derick/Jill, or Ben/Jessa. Jinger/Jeremy maybe too. 

Jiggling the love handles seems like a Forsyth family thing, too. She’s done it to Pa and Austin. 

• Love 2

I love Kendra. She seems so genuine.

That wasn't poison ivy, it was Virginia creeper. I am truly surprised Austin didn't know that. "Leaves of three, leave them be." Virginia creeper looks just like poison ivy (so I will give Joy a pass) but it has 5 leaves.

I am on Team Jana is doing what she wants (within reason), so it struck me when she said it's hard that another girl is leaving. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I am sure this has already been discussed, but were there any more details of the boy (was his name Tyler?) who Jessa and Ben took shopping with them? She said he was her cousin and that Michelle and Jim Bob have guardianship? Everyone here is way more on the ball with all things Duggar than I am. Is he on Michelle's or Jim Bob's side of the family. I am sure the kid's circumstances were less than ideal to end up living with the Duggars, but I feel sorry for him if he ends up Duggar-ized.

He is Michelle's sister's grandchild.  Michelle's sister had custody due to some bad family circumstances involving his parents (drug use, I think), but she had a stroke and could no longer care for him.  Michelle and Jim-Bob stepped up and took custody of him which I would usually consider to be a wonderful act of kindness and charity; but, considering their messed-up family dynamics, may not be a great thing for Tyler.

• Love 10

If I was Austin I'm not so sure I could work on the house with Joy.  Her constant "Be careful Babe" or "watch it Babe"  with teeth clenched would get on my nerves rather quickly. Hoping it was done for drama for the show. And Austin only had one Duggar working with him that day?  At that rate, it will take forever to get done.

Was anyone else bothered by Joy's voice?  Hard to explain & I think we discussed it before - it sounds almost like a lisp, like she's babying herself down now that she found a man.  I don't think she talked that way a few years ago.  I still have Jill & Jessa's weddings on my VCR. I'll have to check out how she talked then. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I originally read this as make-out session and thought the show might finally be getting interesting.   Unfortunately that's never going to happen.

• Love 15
19 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Why can't Jessa go shopping without all the kids and Ben?

Because he needs the paycheck.

6 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Camping in skirts... yeah, that's practical...

Never mind paddling kayaks and rafts......oy.

I was super jealous of Babe and Jinge in that store. The pottery was gorgeous. I hope they got to keep some of it. And ...LOL...I see that Jinge had on her requisite TLC  (very nice, I might add ) outfit...a Boob-approved skirt for filming.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 6

Austin wanted the headband and told her on her fucking wedding day that she could do as she liked with her hair. Of course, by that time, she didn't have anyone capable of doing an updo, so we got barrel curls that eventually fell flat.

• Love 3

Omg Jill is still going on about banana bread. Good thing she went back down overseas for a while to reintroduce the danger Americans to this exotic fruit. In bread form.

Edited by loloandco
Sp.
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Dang. This is a really nice picture of Joy.

I thought it was Kelly Clarkson.

47 minutes ago, loloandco said:

Omg Jill is still going on about banana bread. Good thing she went back down overseas for a while to reintroduce the danger Americans to this exotic fruit. In bread form.

But Little Izzy was so dang cute squishing up the bananas. (I hate kids touching food, but at least it will be subjected to 350 degree of heat.) Izzy in his "cave" was also cute. (Hope it's really a "cave" , and not a punishment spot.)

• Love 3

The best part of the episode was when I finally got three stars on Level 22 of the bubble shooter game I was playing while I watched (mostly) listened to this nothing burger of an episode. Kendra seems to have the nervous giggle under control, Jill didn't share her fears of living in DA, and Joy was somewhat decisive--all plusses. Jessa's inability to stop making Captain Obvious statements as well as giving parenting and child rearing advice (see: MEEEchelle/the apple doesn't fall far) and Jana expressing sorrow about losing another sibling can be added to the CO drinking game as negatives.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

I REALLY liked Jinger's entire outfit when they were shopping for the shower or wedding or whatever it was.  And I also loved that store.  Want to go!

So nice to see someplace other than Walmart or a thrift store! And actually, I like thrift stores, but they've overdone showing them, especially because it's more than a little ridiculous to keep bragging about buying used and saving the difference when they film episodes where a dozen people get on a PLANE to go look at brand new, custom designed wedding dresses. I know they didn't actually have to pay for that, but it's completely ridiculous when most people in their belief system live in poverty.

5 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Attention, Ben Seewald!....Ben Seewald!...your balls are ready for pickup on aisle four!

Ha. I'm not a big fan of that expression, because it's actually a really good thing that he doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the "wives must submit" doctrine, but strictly speaking, according to what they believe, he should be. 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, becca3891 said:

it's actually a really good thing that he doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the "wives must submit" doctrine, but strictly speaking, according to what they believe, he should be. 

Jessa henpecks Ben. She shouldn’t be doing that any more than he should be expecting her to submit.  I think that is what the poster meant by the aisle 4 comment.  They need to find mutual respect and partnership. Instead Jessa sets all the rules and doesn’t listen to a word Ben says.  

• Love 10

Ben was right about the stick horses being dirty and germ-laden.  It's not like the heads were plastic and could be sanitized.  Jessa apparently doesn't worry about germs and Ben does.  He shouldn't have given in on this.  Of course, I'm quite the germaphobe, so that's why it bothered me.

• Love 4

I felt sorry for Ben in the shopping segment.  Despite his beliefs, Ben seems like a nice easygoing guy.  Jessa should have least considered his arguments. She didnt.  She doesn't realize she's lucky to have a guy who doesn't insist he's in charge given their religion.

Poor Ben already can't breathe in that house!  He doesn't need bugs too.

Ben doesn't exactly hide that he's a health nut.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 7

I’m also a germaphobe but I didn’t see a problem with the stick horses. Of course I would either spray them with disinfectant and wipe them down or soak and/or rinse them in the tub with soap and let them air dry. Admittedly, I was half watching/half listening so I’m not sure if they’d be ruined plus I wasn’t there to get a good look at them and I do live in Arizona where stuff drys fast and thoroughly. 

Jessa could use some lessons in being a 'health nut" from Ben if you ask me. Did I notice that the paint was peeling off of those stick horses? I think I saw that. That's a no no for me. Actually, I thought Ben was right.

Oh, WAIT.....how could be have missed them all admit that JOY has the stinkiest  FEET? When her brothers were asked 'who has the worst'...they said JOY without hesitation and Austin said that she did, too. I'm amazed that those two, who couldn't even hold hands until engagement, knew about Joy's dirty, smelly feet? Those awful dirty shoes she wears with no socks don't help. A shower every night would help out in that area. I don't want to think about the sheet over her mattress in her bed. Also, those bedrooms were a filthy mess. I'm sure that house smells badly too. I don't want to think about the smell from the upholstered furniture downstairs with all those sweaty, dirty kids laying all over them for years....not to mention Spurgie's slobber and snot that Jessa so proudly told us about.

• Love 12

I cannot stand hearing Joy parrot EVERY. DAMN. THING. AUSTIN. SAYS. 

* Yeah, we can fit 6 hammocks over here. 

* Uh huh, 2 here, 2 there, 2 there. 

* It's time to set up camp, y'all. 

* Unload the trucks, y'all. 

* The water was cold, y'all  

STOP! I don't know how Austin can tolerate it. Not to mention, as someone upthread said, the constant 'be careful, babe.' 

Joy's hygiene has not evolved, I'm afraid, from her younger years. Stinky feet, rats nest hair, filthy shoes and not the least bit embarrassed by it. 

I don't mean to gross you out but this chick is in charge of her baby's personal care and it's important to keep things fully clean down below. I can just imagine her not being thorough and the baby suffering on account of it. 

Joy didn't pack socks for herself on the camping trip and froze DESPITE her giving us the weather forecast prior to departure. Soon she'll be responsible for the care and well being of a child. She is no more ready than I am to perform open heart surgery. Ugh! 

Edited by HahYallDoin
Punctuation error
  • Love 18
14 hours ago, becca3891 said:

So nice to see someplace other than Walmart or a thrift store! And actually, I like thrift stores, but they've overdone showing them, especially because it's more than a little ridiculous to keep bragging about buying used and saving the difference when they film episodes where a dozen people get on a PLANE to go look at brand new, custom designed wedding dresses. I know they didn't actually have to pay for that, but it's completely ridiculous when most people in their belief system live in poverty.

Ha. I'm not a big fan of that expression, because it's actually a really good thing that he doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the "wives must submit" doctrine, but strictly speaking, according to what they believe, he should be. 

When Bin and Jessa speak at those "godly biblical marriage" seminars, do they try and pretend that Bin runs the household?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HahYallDoin said:

STOP! I don't know how Austin can tolerate it. Not to mention, as someone upthread said, the constant 'be careful, babe.' 

Joy's hygiene has not evolved, I'm afraid, from her younger years. Stinky feet, rats nest hair, filthy shoes and not the least bit embarrassed by it. 

He's still in love right now.  The bloom will be off the rose soon, whether it's weeks, months, or in a year or so.  Her shortcomings and her hygiene will start to annoy him, but he'll be stuck for life with her along with x number of kids.    

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

He's still in love right now.  The bloom will be off the rose soon, whether it's weeks, months, or in a year or so.  Her shortcomings and her hygiene will start to annoy him, but he'll be stuck for life with her along with x number of kids.    

I think when the baby arrives, sh*t is going to hit the fan with the love birds.  Reality will set in.

• Love 13
On 10/3/2017 at 9:19 AM, woodscommaelle said:

I REALLY liked Jinger's entire outfit when they were shopping for the shower or wedding or whatever it was.  And I also loved that store.  Want to go!

ME too!! I guess if I'm ever in Texas I'm going to need to be able to haul and bunch of dishes back home....  and the flower pots! omg I need those. 

Do we think that stuff was really authentic or cheap tourist knock-offs - but does it even matter?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Oh, WAIT.....how could be have missed them all admit that JOY has the stinkiest  FEET? When her brothers were asked 'who has the worst'...they said JOY without hesitation and Austin said that she did, too. I'm amazed that those two, who couldn't even hold hands until engagement, knew about Joy's dirty, smelly feet? Those awful dirty shoes she wears with no socks don't help. 

What was most disturbing to me was how they all seemed to think having smelly was funny. Having feet that smell that bad doesn’t just happen. It takes effort (or lack thereof). I’m amazed anyone OKs scenes like this to air—unless whomever makes the final decision dislikes them as much as I/we do.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, TVwithTea said:

What was most disturbing to me was how they all seemed to think having smelly was funny. Having feet that smell that bad doesn’t just happen. It takes effort (or lack thereof). I’m amazed anyone OKs scenes like this to air—unless whomever makes the final decision dislikes them as much as I/we do.

I think it might be a combo of both.  The Duggars lack very basic social skills & someone dislikes them because of that.

• Love 5

how far from is Laredo from the border? I am wondering if the store was  in Mexico. seems odd that the store had no visible sign as to name, location, wrapped in newspaper into a plain brown box, etc. Not to mention the prices of what they bought. I saw little orange tags on some things, but not all . didn't see prices on shelves. I would think the J&J would be a on a very tight budget - even for a sister wedding

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1