Type keyword(s) to search

WWII vs. The 70s: The Debate

Me, I'm a WWII episodes guy, even though I know the 70s set episodes in some ways hold on better as Wacky Cultural Artifacts (due to how the kitsch factor increased with those looking back on them from the future of both settings),

I've always liked the WWII episodes and comics. But, you are right about the 70s being fun to watch now. When this show was rerun on FX years ago, we used to wish that it jumped around in time (think Highlander TV show) with Diana occasionally visiting the world in different eras, being slightly younger or older depending past or future.

As I live in Los Angeles now,  and as a guilty pleasure, I've been pausing on the "action" or stock footage from the 70s era shows and trying to figure out where they shot, and see how much LA has changed in 30+ years.

• Love 1

I think in some ways the WWII shows hold up better as shows because they didn't leave as many holes in the storytelling.  ISTM that when Bruce Lansbury took over (marked by the dropping of the animated opening titles), the quality of the scripts dropped even though they came up with some pretty interesting villains at times.  The downside to the WWII stories is that every week turned into "more Nazi spies in Washington," to the point that you'd have to wonder how we even won the war if there were really that many.

The LA historical stuff, though, must be great for someone who lives there.

• Love 1

I liked the WWII eps better.  I think the distance between the 40's and the 70's (watching it in the 70's) allowed you to embrace the campy comic book FANTASY part of it.  Trying to portray the PRESENT when it WAS the 70's had to fail.  I think the 70's eps have therefore become easier to watch because now OUR present can look back at the 70's in fantasy mode. 

• Love 1