Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Client On The Go

Drogo
  • Start Topic

22 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

but the idea was people on the go take their coffee with them so shouldn't they have a stylish cup to go with their wardrobe

I don't take coffee with me like that, but is this really a big market? Don't people who routinely take coffee with them use an insulated travel mug? I guess I'm just clueless. This seems like a solution in search of a problem.

And I agree that Heidi's over-the-top mannerisms of "WHAT HAPPENED" was ridiculous.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

And I agree that Heidi's over-the-top mannerisms of "WHAT HAPPENED" was ridiculous.

But I think that is the point. Obviously some of the things we see in the workroom confessions need to be brought up at Judges Panel. Heidi, as an exec would be the one informed to ask the question otherwise the next post here would be "Why didn't anyone ask ...?" Another example was Nina asking Mondo "Why the plus sign in your fabric?" This is a game show folks, not Shakespeare. Heidi was tongue-in-cheekily emoting "surprise!" that there was DRAMA going on behind the JC Penney Accessory Wall!

2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

The challenge is whatever the producers decide will make the best story.

And that decision is sometimes made after the runway. Going in they have one idea. After seeing the drama, they have another. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:21 AM, morakot said:

A couple or more comments and an anecdote:

I seem to remember on a previous season (were they doing menswear?) when one or more designers used what they were currently wearing to create a pattern for their garment (was it a pair of pants or a button-down shirt?). I don't remember the details but it was certainly not considered cheating.

If Margarita had had a problem with Claire's design, it would have been appropriate to ask her about it - calmly -- instead of bitching about her behind her back and behind a language barrier.

Yes, it is rude to talk about someone else in a language they don't understand. I'm sure many of you talk about the people around you when you are in a country where English is not the main language. You probably conduct most of your conversations in English. I've lived in countries where expats don't even try to learn the local language. However.... I was born in Thailand and I learned to speak Thai (and English) when I learned to talk. After college I was an instructor at an English language business college in Bangkok. Instructors taught in English and we were encouraged to hold all conversations in English. I don't look Thai and most of my students assumed I didn't understand Thai. My favorite thing was to ride down from class in the elevator with students bitching about how mean I was (I didn't think everyone deserved an A and I expected people to do their own work and not copy from others). When I left the elevator, I turned and thanked everyone (in Thai) for their contribution to my development. Their faces were hysterically funny... 

The moral of this story is not to assume that you are not understood. More people than you know speak Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, German, and English even if they don't look like it.

I remember that episode - I think.  It was perhaps a menswear challenge and one contestant asked if he could use the pants he was wearing, rip them apart and use them as a pattern for his design- in the workroom - and was given the OK to do so. IIRC, he also allowed at least one other contestant to use his pants as pattern for their own design. Since this all occurred in the workroom, during the allotted time, it was given the green light. I think there may have been one or two grumbles about this, but not as cheating - only as a bit of a dis on the people who needed that kind of help.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2017 at 7:28 AM, AZChristian said:

I loved your anecdote!

I have not traveled a lot, but have been to Spanish-speaking countries and France.  I studied French in high school, and continued using it when we had a neighbor who was French.  She would speak to me in English and I would speak to her in French so we could both improve our language skills.  

I would never speak negatively about anyone around me in English in any foreign country.  Actually, I would never speak negatively about anyone around me in any public setting because . . . it's RUDE. 

I also think it is rude that visitors to a country can't at least learn to say "Do you speak (English/French/Spanish/etc)" in the language of the country where you are.  When I am in France, I ask shopkeepers IN FRENCH, "Parlez vous Anglais?"  When in Mexico or other Spanish-speaking countries, I ask "Habla usted Inglés?"  Because people from other countries tend to have better bilingual skills than Americans, they usually do speak enough English that we can conduct basic transactions.  As a resident of Arizona, I have been on the other side of that issue.  People would call the company where I worked and the first words out of their mouth is "Se habla Espanol?"  It takes little effort for someone to learn to say, "Do you speak Spanish?"  Again - it's a matter of courtesy.  And courtesy is a two-way street.  Or it should be.

Hee, you might want to avoid The Amazing Race. There are way too many contestants who run around shrieking, "ENGLISH? DOES ANYONE HERE SPEAK ENGLISH?" and talking shit about cab drivers/people on the street/randos who have the nerve not to speak English. It makes me cringe every time.

16 hours ago, Heathrowe said:

It's hard to know what the thought process was. I never buy actual sleeves of dixie cups-the only paper cups I use are when I buy coffee and then I don't care what the cup looks like, as long as it has COFFEE in it!

Given the furor over Starbucks deciding not to have red cups for Christmas a few years ago (to the point where people were boycotting), I imagine that Dixie has to consider the repercussions of designs that look too girlie. I mean, I don't care if the designs/colors look feminine, masculine, or neutral but obviously there are people who care WAY too much about stuff like that. I'm the same as you - as long as the cup holds liquid, I'm good!

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hee, you might want to avoid The Amazing Race. There are way too many contestants who run around shrieking, "ENGLISH? DOES ANYONE HERE SPEAK ENGLISH?" and talking shit about cab drivers/people on the street/randos who have the nerve not to speak English. It makes me cringe every time.

We do watch TAR - and we cringe as well.  I try to be kind, because they don't know in advance what countries they're visiting, but "Do you speak English" is not that hard to learn in a few different languages.  And SCREAMING "ENGLISH?????" at strangers is not a way to encourage them to help you.  

Back to Project Runway - even though Margarita and Michael were speaking the truth about Claire's tape measure, they were still rude to be doing it in Spanish in a room full of English-speaking "co-workers."  Two wrongs don't make a right.

Ok, I have been racking my brain for pretty much a week trying to figure out what the Hell Claire's pattern reminded me of and it finally hit me. No wonder she knew it would look good on cup. Girl just cannot resist copying, can she?

untitled.png

• Love 1

Anybody else notice that the slits on Claire's shirt were the same that were on her sister's dress in the previous episode? At first I thought she was going to make the exact dress in black. That combined with Michael saying she has the same pants in her wardrobe makes me think she has no creative bone in her body.

Edited by Clariola
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Clariola said:

Anybody else notice that the slits on Claire's shirt were the same that were on her sister's dress in the previous episode? At first I thought she was going to make the exact dress in black. That combined with Michael saying she has the same pants in her wardrobe makes me think she has no creative bone in her body.

There are so many stores that basically manufacture and sell cheap knock-offs, it seems Claire and Shawn could do quite well working for one of them. Like Forever 21, perhaps....

• Love 2

I seem to be the only one (sure, I know this is annoying) to find Claire even more untalented and useless than her twin. At least Shawn had some good ideas and wasn´t always in the bottom, even though she had to have Claire sew her designs for her. But I hated them both so seeing either gone was good. Then this challenge happened. It was a mess. I didn´t like any of the top designs, I guess some of the middle ones were okay. Having Claire win was just part of the drama, imo. And it´s the kind of drama that is so bad for a show like this, because even though M&M might have been in the wrong I don´t care the least bit because they are worthy contestants while Claire is not. At this point I´m all behind Michael just leaving because this is just a big joke.

Edited by halkatla
  • Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:39 AM, AZChristian said:

Back to Project Runway - even though Margarita and Michael were speaking the truth about Claire's tape measure, they were still rude to be doing it in Spanish in a room full of English-speaking "co-workers."  Two wrongs don't make a right.

I have no problem with them speaking Spanish together (they probably do always if they're on their own).  They were whispering, having a private conversation.  It happened to be in Spanish.  If they wanted the whole room to hear, they would have spoken loudly, in English.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I have no problem with them speaking Spanish together (they probably do always if they're on their own).  They were whispering, having a private conversation.  It happened to be in Spanish.  If they wanted the whole room to hear, they would have spoken loudly, in English.

I agree with the premise of this article.  Whispering in a work environment is also rude unless, as the article says, you're telling someone they have spinach in their teeth.  To communicate in a group setting in a way that excludes any or all of those nearby is not polite.

23 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I agree with the premise of this article.  Whispering in a work environment is also rude unless, as the article says, you're telling someone they have spinach in their teeth.  To communicate in a group setting in a way that excludes any or all of those nearby is not polite.

I totally agree with you about the work environment, which is what these guys might be considered to be in.  I'm giving them some leeway though since not only are they dealing with a less attractive version of the twinnies of the Amazing Race, they haven't slept properly for days, and are playing for I can't remember how many thousands of dollars Heidi tells us every week.  Twice a week.  Then there are the ads that tell us again.  And again.  Yet I still can't remember how much but I think they get a sewing machine and some pens.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I totally agree with you about the work environment, which is what these guys might be considered to be in.  I'm giving them some leeway though since not only are they dealing with a less attractive version of the twinnies of the Amazing Race, they haven't slept properly for days, and are playing for I can't remember how many thousands of dollars Heidi tells us every week.  Twice a week.  Then there are the ads that tell us again.  And again.  Yet I still can't remember how much but I think they get a sewing machine and some pens.

I figure if they sign a contract with restrictions, and they are being paid (whether it's the grand prize or just room and board during the filming), it's a work environment.  

I laughed at your reference to the twinnies, but - you're right - Claire and Shawn would be even more challenging to be around, especially in a confined space!!!

• Love 1

they usually get a stipend which varies depending on the  show, enough to make up being away from job and family. Usually x much per show. more for shows where you perform, sing, dance, etc and less for shows where you just survive, naked and afraid and low cable reality competitions.. 

44 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

they usually get a stipend which varies depending on the  show, enough to make up being away from job and family. Usually x much per show. more for shows where you perform, sing, dance, etc and less for shows where you just survive, naked and afraid and low cable reality competitions.. 

When I'm in boring meetings I amuse myself with the thought that anyone would ever pay me to "perform, sing, dance, etc  for shows where you just survive, naked and afraid.. 

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I figure if they sign a contract with restrictions, and they are being paid (whether it's the grand prize or just room and board during the filming), it's a work environment.  

I laughed at your reference to the twinnies, but - you're right - Claire and Shawn would be even more challenging to be around, especially in a confined space!!!

Don't laugh, people are already speculating that they are just wannabe reality fame whores and they're just looking for a gig like The Amazing Race.  Kill me now.

• Love 1

Re: designs on Dixie cups, a few years ago, Isaac Mizrahi himself had a line of designs on Kleenex boxes. 

Maybe those are considered more like "decor" since they sit out in your bathroom or whatever.  But still.

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

When I'm in boring meetings I amuse myself with the thought that anyone would ever pay me to "perform, sing, dance, etc  for shows where you just survive, naked and afraid.. 

Don't laugh, people are already speculating that they are just wannabe reality fame whores and they're just looking for a gig like The Amazing Race.  Kill me now.

No need to speculate  I posted this in the media thread from an article on the cheatwins:  

Both say they don't plan to step away from the limelight anytime soon. They won't rule out another go at reality television.

"Truthfully, getting out in front of people is what's going to help us be successful," Shawn said. "Absolutely."

33 minutes ago, jrlr said:

No need to speculate  I posted this in the media thread from an article on the cheatwins:  

Both say they don't plan to step away from the limelight anytime soon. They won't rule out another go at reality television.

"Truthfully, getting out in front of people is what's going to help us be successful," Shawn said. "Absolutely."

Please don't let my ox be broken again.  Indeed.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Brookside said:
17 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I absolutely disagree! These people are not in any way in a 'work environment' they are on a SET of a competition based Reality Show. The two things are in no way analogous. They are here to WIN a competition not 'be polite' or 'make friends'(as so many of them say). If they have an advantage they should use it! As long as it doesn't break the rules, use it.

Speaking a language only you an one other understand can be an advantage, use it! Can you imagine if Kentaro and his model were speaking Japanese and said Margarita's name and then laughed? She could have freaked out the same way she did with Claire, messed up and be out. Margarita and Michael should have stared at Claire spoken Spanish and laughed, maybe Claire would have freaked out instead. They are not there to be polite to each other, this is not their job, they will never work together with these people again. Go ahead and whisper, go ahead and speak another language. Go ahead and sing if you know it bothers people, or hum (wasn't there someone that did that). Go ahead and do what you can to win without cheating.

• Love 2

I just wanna know if someone was speaking quietly -- in English -- would people yell at them to talk louder because you couldn't hear them? To me, it's the same thing. If someone is having a private conversation -- any freaking where -- you're the eavesdropper if you're trying to hear what they're saying. Maybe it's because I've never worked in environment where everybody was a native English speaker, it just doesn't bother me. Oh, and not being the kind of a-hole that people would talk about behind their backs or in another language is a big help. Present company here excepted. :-)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, carrps said:

I just wanna know if someone was speaking quietly -- in English -- would people yell at them to talk louder because you couldn't hear them? To me, it's the same thing. If someone is having a private conversation -- any freaking where -- you're the eavesdropper if you're trying to hear what they're saying. Maybe it's because I've never worked in environment where everybody was a native English speaker, it just doesn't bother me. Oh, and not being the kind of a-hole that people would talk about behind their backs or in another language is a big help. Present company here excepted. :-)

Again, in this context, a game/reality show, it doesn't matter. Anything goes except cheating. Outside of this context is beyond what this forum is about.

19 hours ago, Brookside said:

they are just wannabe reality fame whores and they're just looking for a gig like The Amazing Race

Those two dimwits would last 5 minutes on TAR. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

"CLAIRE! CLAIRE! WHICH WAY ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GO? YOU KNOW I CAN'T READ MAPS! YOU NEED TO READ THE MAP, CLAIRE! WHERE IS IT? WHERE ARE WE? WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR? CLAIRE! CLAIRE!"

Shawnee, Shawnee, Shawnee, I'll push down on the pedal while you move the gear lever because I never realized I'd need to drive a manual.

• Love 2