Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Funny because I think he’s delusional to think the DC suburbs are an option at 28 years old with no job experience. He might like the area but if he thinks they can afford it or easily get a job that will allow him to afford it, he’s out of his mind. 

I think we have agreed on this before. He can't afford the DC area, for sure.  But it's probably the only area that would give him the stimulation he wants.   I personally think he should go home.  Evelyn will be miserable wherever she is, because she's a mserable person.  

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

I think we have agreed on this before. He can't afford the DC area, for sure.  But it's probably the only area that would give him the stimulation he wants.   I personally think he should go home.  Evelyn will be miserable wherever she is, because she's a mserable person.  

Very true. I think he should go home too. If they stay together I think they should both go to Spain. I think it would be good for Evelyn. She's young and if she gets away from her enablers she could grow up. That is, of course, unless David married her either because he couldn't get a job in Spain or because he wants a much younger bride he can control (or thinks he can control). 

Personally I think they are both nasty and are doomed together. 

Edited to add - sorry if my earlier post repeated myself. Sometimes I lose track of what I actually posted and what I thought in my head while mumbling about the stupidity of the people on this show. LOL

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

If they stay together I think they should both go to Spain

Good luck on that.  First, she would never agree to go.  But even if she did, the EU has tightened its entry requirememnts unbelievably in recent years.  I have been married to a British citizen for 15 years, the financial requirements would not be a factor, but even I would have trouble getting in.  

Like Elizabeth and her Cossack, Americans cannot just move to another country.  I blame House Hunters International for perpetuating that myth.  

Edited by Sprockets
sun spots
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

She certainly told Luis how the cow ate the cabbage. 

I have never heard this phrase before. I had to Google it. https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/5/messages/1077.html

Much nicer result than when I Googled "human caterpillar" from a post in the commercials forum!

P.TV can be so informative. ;-)

11 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Like Elizabeth and her Cossack, Americans cannot just move to another country.  I blame House Hunters International for perpetuating that myth.  

Very interesting. I didn't know this.  So how do people get to move to these countries when they retire?

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Very interesting. I didn't know this.  So how do people get to move to these countries when they retire?

Each country has its own financial requirements, often special ones for retirees.  Some of the requiremements - usually for the more affluent countries - are set very high.  In all cases there are legal hoops to jump through.  Except for places few people want to live, you cannot just pick up and move to any other country.  

In the case of Ireland and Spain, for Elizabeth and Evelyn respectively, the requirements are about the same as they are for one of their citizens wanting to move here permanently.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Well, Josh picked her up at LAX. Josh lives in Mesa, Arizona, which is a 6 to 7 hour drive (maybe longer because of all the construction on the I-10 on the west side of Phoenix).  They probably spent a night or two LA.  It's too much to do that drive round trip in one day, boring desert most of the trip, and soooo much traffic.

I think Josh "met" her at LAX and they both flew to Phoenix Sky Harbor because there were shots of  them in the Sky Harbor parking area.  My theory (mentioned pages ago) is that Phoenix wouldn't allow the TLC filming in their airport.  Los Angeles is a company town and that "company" is movies and television.  LAX is better equipped for television productions.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

I think Josh "met" her at LAX and they both flew to Phoenix Sky Harbor because there were shots of  them in the Sky Harbor parking area.  My theory (mentioned pages ago) is that Phoenix wouldn't allow the TLC filming in their airport.  Los Angeles is a company town and that "company" is movies and television.  LAX is better equipped for television productions.

Not to argue, but there is lots of filming in and around Sky Harbor.  And if there were shots of the parking area, they got permission for that shoot.  I didn't see anything that looked like Sky Harbor me, but I admit I doze off during some of the show. 

I still don't get why she flew into LA, when it's so much easier to fly into Phoenix.  Josh lives only about 10 to 12 miles from the airport and can get there in about 20 minutes. (I don't know exactly where Josh lives but I know this entire valley very well.)  It seems usual to go through LA from Asia.

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Not to argue, but there is lots of filming in and around Sky Harbor.  And if there were shots of the parking area, they got permission for that shoot.  I didn't see anything that looked like Sky Harbor me, but I admit I doze off during some of the show. 

I don't think there are television shows or movies filmed IN the airport proper at Sky Harbor.  News crews broadcast from there but the number of crew and amount of equipment are so much less than the smallest television show that will require takes, retakes ... a schedule that is never adhered to.  You could be right, but I'm not convinced.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:32 AM, essexjan said:

I'd add to that list:

When dealing with waiters and other service people

Truth. My sister’s daughter is 29.  Nothing going for her.  But she is a rude bitch to wait staff.  Acts like a queen.  You can tell so much about someone by how they treat servers.  

See,now, I think Andrrrrrrie is a cutie. And I am old.  He does well for the camera but we hear of red flags from Elizabeth.  Reminds me of my narcissist ex. Charming the world but horrible scary at home.  

• Love 5

Maybe someone mentioned it but the comment Azan made about forgiving Nicole the first time was very telling. Something about him trying to cut ties with her but she called 100 times a day claiming May was calling him daddy and crying for him. What a nasty manipulative person she is to use her child to guilt Azan into coming back to her.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Maybe someone mentioned it but the comment Azan made about forgiving Nicole the first time was very telling. Something about him trying to cut ties with her but she called 100 times a day claiming May was calling him daddy and crying for him. What a nasty manipulative person she is to use her child to guilt Azan into coming back to her.

And calling someone 100 times a day?! That's what I call relentless, bordering on psycho bitch stalker mode. Although this is Nicole we're talking about, so I'm not surprised.  I don't doubt for one minute that Azan is telling the truth here. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Granny58 said:

watched more bits and pieces last night and had 2 more thoughts.  David Spain is a jerk.  He is a petulant baby who wants what he wants and that's final.  Like Jessica Rabbit, I realize he's "drawn (edited) that way." so who knows what else they say in their private lives.  But the character we see is not appealing whatsoever.

Second, Andrrrrrrei.  Well, hey, he's a confident swaggery male with an apparent sense of humor so I enjoy his screen time.  He had one brief remark that gave me pause.  "Elizabeth can do everything."  OK, he seems unmotivated and carefree.  I hope that Elizabeth doing "everything" doesn't mean that she's going to cook, clean, wash, have the babies AND support the household by herself....while he sits in the recliner drinking beer vodka.  Hmmmmm....just a thought. 

FIFY. :)

Seriously, I took Andrrrei's "Elizabeth can do everything." to be a compliment about what a capable person she is (which surprised me).  I hope he didn't mean it the way you took it.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

I still don't get why she flew into LA, when it's so much easier to fly into Phoenix.  Josh lives only about 10 to 12 miles from the airport and can get there in about 20 minutes. (I don't know exactly where Josh lives but I know this entire valley very well.)  It seems usual to go through LA from Asia.

Desert Rat -

I, too, live in Mesa and have flown into Sky Harbor several zillion times.  At one point, they showed the "Phoenix" sign with the arrow made out of rocks on the mountain that's WAY east of the airport.  In all my years here, I've NEVER seen that sign when flying from L.A.; it's a good 10 miles past where the planes make their turn so they can land from east to west.  

I rarely EVER pick up on glaring production tricks on these shows, but that was one I caught!  Yay me!

• Love 3
On 11/7/2017 at 8:11 PM, Desert Rat said:

I hate that Luis or production tried to manipulate Kensley in this way. She is just a small child. If it was production's idea, Luis should have refused. Kensley has a daddy; she said so.  Her parents are not together and that probably causes her some pain. Luis is a total stranger who has move into her house and is sleeping in her mother's bed, and then he wants to replace her daddy.  I can see how this would be threatening and emotionally damaging to the child. 

I was horrified to see this small child doing her best to stand up for herself and defend the things in her world that made her feel the most secure. Meanwhile, Luis just pummeled them and pummeled them with his words, with little regard to how anxious he must have been making this little girl feel! A child is no match for an adult. He should know better! He's NOT her dad!

All he could think about was that she was mean to him? WTF?

I wanted to smack him.

It was NOT okay.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I was horrified to see this small child doing her best to stand up for herself and defend the things in her world that made her feel the most secure. Meanwhile, Luis just pummeled them and pummeled them with his words, with little regard to how anxious he must have been making this little girl feel! A child is no match for an adult. He should know better! He's NOT her dad!

I wanted to smack him.

It was NOT okay.

I am NOT saying that Luis is an abuser, but . . .

As a child who was abused by a man my mother brought home, if I were anywhere on the set during that scene I'd have risked getting fired to tell Luis that his behavior was inappropriate.  And I'd have told Molly to watch the tape.  That should (1) never have happened, and (2) never been aired.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

So did I.  And I was screaming "Good girl, Kensley!  You tell him."  That little girl needs her own show.  She is fierce.

Can she get a show without her screechy mother being involved?  Because I can't have screechy mother on more than one night a week for a very limited number of weeks lol

WAIT. CAN KENSLEY AND MAY/MAE HAVE A SHOW?????  Can they be the new Paris Hilton/Nicole Richie???  Should I start limiting my reality show intake??? (yes)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Can she get a show without her screechy mother being involved?  Because I can't have screechy mother on more than one night a week for a very limited number of weeks lol

WAIT. CAN KENSLEY AND MAY/MAE HAVE A SHOW?????  Can they be the new Paris Hilton/Nicole Richie???  Should I start limiting my reality show intake??? (yes)

Great idea!  I would also like to find some way to work the Annie Goldbaht's parents' new water buffaloes into this show. 

Sadly, I could see some sort of "Former Child Reality Star Group Therapy" show on TLC someday, with grown up kids whose parents forced them to be on sleazy reality shows when they were little.  

• Love 4
Just now, Bryce Lynch said:

Great idea!  I would also like to find some way to work the Annie Goldbaht's parents' new water buffaloes into this show. 

Sadly, I could see some sort of "Former Child Reality Star Group Therapy" show on TLC someday, with grown up kids whose parents forced them to be on sleazy reality shows when they were little.  

Dr Drew is somewhere wondering why he's salivating right now.  You've just written his next show!

• Love 2
On 11/9/2017 at 7:15 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Those wedding invitations should have been addressed and sent already! Obviously the date is set (since the already-printed invitations had to include it), and the wedding planning is going full steam ahead (bridesmaid dresses selected and ordered, for instance, on pain of being kicked out of the wedding party by Princess Evelyn). So why was she sitting on the invites? Why does she even need David to help her address them at all? Unless he does calligraphy or has gorgeous penmanship why would this be required? So many questions!!

Arabic I think. I don't think Farsi is spoken in Morocco. Farsi is spoken in Iran.

High five re: those invites should have been sent out MONTHS ago. I noticed the date printed on them too.

Princess Evelyn was probably too busy taking driving lessons (she needs a refund), posting bikini shots on Instagram or talking about the band to be responsible. I know no one here wants to hear the "band" perform, but if she had gigs or songwriting sessions or SOMETHING MUSICAL TO DO, perhaps one could forgive the tardiness of the invites.

Fun Fact: When I was part of a bridal party a few years ago, I actually helped the bride address/stamp the invites. She came over to my place with her pre-printed address labels. I had a big dining room table and we finished 200 invites in about three hours. Most of the labels even went on straight! :)

Where are Evelyn's bridesmaids to help her with all of these "overwhelming" details?

They're clearly not as Party City buying penis straws and blow up dolls for her bachelorette party, but I'd pay good money to see THAT kind of party for Evelyn. Where the hell are they and why isn't she asking for help for the things she is in control of, like her list of guests. I suppose asking David to email the addresses for his guests months before his arrival didn't fit into her busy schedule of preparing to appear on some game show that exists only in her head called "Fun Fact."

That said, we have to give her props as she's given us new lingo to use a la Pedro. 

• Love 5
On 11/7/2017 at 5:12 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Living in a California, I didn't get many jobs that people less qualified than me did get, simply because of their  Spanish-speaking (and other languages) skills. A huge portion of the US population now speaks Spanish as a first language, and those skills do matter.

When I moved to California from the Midwest years ago, I had some money saved but no job set up. We stayed with a friend for a couple weeks, found an apartment and then signed up with a temp agency and started work right away. It wasn't difficult.

Exactly, speaking both Spanish and English is a skill that a huge number of Americans already have. I dont think that skill alone would be enough for David to be able to find a reasonably-paying job. 

• Love 2
On 11/9/2017 at 10:16 AM, funky-rat said:

David brought it up (assuming it's not producer driven), so it's on him.  He didn't need to be such a jerk.  And it's not a requirement that you have to like all of a friend's friends.  I don't, and I know some don't like me.  I just try to not spend so much time around them.  I don't get the girl/girl vibe from Mikayla, as much as I think it's just a major girl crush, and she's afraid things will change (and they will). 

I am totally with you on this one. 100%. It is true. Everyone changes after marriage.

Several of my friends have gotten married, had babies and seemed to have forgotten that their single friends exist, even though we attended their celebratory showers, wedding, baptisms of babies and other important events. I've even had friends forget about everyone else in their lives the minute they become engaged...and it sucks. BIG TIME. Especially if you're not keen about their choice in spouses, no matter the reason.

Not to be all Lifetime Movie about this, but when you show up at your friend's apartment after her 230326th fight with her fiancee after she calls & asks you to bring ice packs and Advil over, no one should ever have to see the black & blue bruises on their friend's face and THEN act like they support the union. It's hard to be supportive...especially when their husband-to-be is a 6'3" guy who works out daily, is a trained soldier and has a nasty temper. It's even harder to be around him at social events and be civil because it takes every ounce of energy to not call him out on his BS every time you see him. It tore me up inside that she chose him of all people to be with, but I know domestic violence is a nasty cycle and I am not Wonder Woman. 

I know DavidSpain is not like the asshole that my friend married, but the elements are identical: when you care about your friends (who you've known longer than their future spouse) and they are making choices with life long impacts that you know are not the best ones, it's hard to stay silent.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, MrHufflepuff said:

Maybe David Spain can get a job in DC like Josh Smuggar had.  Apparently, the only qualification for that lobbying gig is having TV exposure and not going on the Ashley Madison website.

I think once people find out about his teenage bride, his reputation would be ruined as a direct result of Josh Smuggar's proclivities from years ago.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Bridget said:

I think once people find out about his teenage bride, his reputation would be ruined as a direct result of Josh Smuggar's proclivities from years ago.

Evelyn is of age and claims to still be a virgin. People in Fundyland marry young to ensure they maintain their purity. If David really is still a  virgin, I think he wanted to be sure he got one, too. I don’t think marrying someone of legal age is grounds for prejudice.  It’s not really anyone’s business but theirs how old they both are. 90DF doesn’t have the type of viewership that prime time TV has, so most people have no idea who they are.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Evelyn is of age and claims to still be a virgin. People in Fundyland marry young to ensure they maintain their purity. If David really is still a  virgin, I think he wanted to be sure he got one, too. I don’t think marrying someone of legal age is grounds for prejudice.  It’s not really anyone’s business but theirs how old they both are. 90DF doesn’t have the type of viewership that prime time TV has, so most people have no idea who they are.

That’s true but the original comment was related to David and Evelyn fitting in if his plan is to move to the DC area. Right or wrong, if people at his office found out his wife was 18 it would reflect negatively on him.  It wouldn’t get him fired or anything like that, but it would definitely make it hard to socialize or find a peer group. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I wanted to smack him.

It was NOT okay.

Producer(s) and crew in the room...obviously "assisting" in the conversation.   If you smack him, smack everyone but the little girl.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Desert Rat -

I, too, live in Mesa and have flown into Sky Harbor several zillion times.  At one point, they showed the "Phoenix" sign with the arrow made out of rocks on the mountain that's WAY east of the airport.  In all my years here, I've NEVER seen that sign when flying from L.A.; it's a good 10 miles past where the planes make their turn so they can land from east to west.  

I rarely EVER pick up on glaring production tricks on these shows, but that was one I caught!  Yay me!

Yeah, that "Phoenix" sign was so random.  I doubt Josh lives way out by Usery Mountain.  And, you're right, there is no way a plane from LA would fly anywhere near that mountain. I think it was stock footage or something. But not related to the show.

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 3

Where are Evelyn's bridesmaids to help her with all of these "overwhelming" details?

Fun fact:  Despite the title, these women aren't actually the bride's maids, or other servants. Wedding related tasks are the responsibility of the bride and groom.   They can hire a wedding coordinator, or hope that family and friends will volunteer to help.   All the maids have to do is show up, sober, at the wedding.  

• Love 7

I'm watching the David / Mikayla scene again and David Spain is a jerk. Mikayla was perfectly decent when she showed up and David started with the "I heard you don't like me." And smug witch Evelyn "if you don't like David you're disrespecting me." Get the bleep over yourselves, both of you. 

• Love 20
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I am NOT saying that Luis is an abuser, but . . .

As a child who was abused by a man my mother brought home, if I were anywhere on the set during that scene I'd have risked getting fired to tell Luis that his behavior was inappropriate.  And I'd have told Molly to watch the tape.  That should (1) never have happened, and (2) never been aired.

Amen, sister!!!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Quof said:

All the maids have to do is show up, sober, at the wedding. 

Not  in every jurisdiction.   Sometimes they can be tipsy and things work out for the best.    Often they help the baby princess bride with those details that are just too much for her pretty little head.

• Love 5
On 11/2/2017 at 7:03 AM, Chalby said:

Greedy assholes? Compared to…? I am sorry, but he is the one who agreed with her when she said she wants her parents looked after. That is the whole point of her offering to marry someone with whom she has no chemistry. She seems like a lovely daughter, and $1500 doesn't even cover what an American gal would expect just for her marriage ceremony. $1500 for their daughter's sexual and physical servitude for at least ten years. But that's greedy… woah?

Greedy assholes compared to people who fall in love with the person and not their wallet. Looking after her parents doesn't have to mean giving them thousands of dollars upfront to buy their daughter. It could mean sending them money every month to help them out once he gets employment in the US. I realize this is their custom but doesn't the fact that he loves and cares for their daughter mean anything?

My ex and I required 80 dollars at the courthouse for our marriage and we paid it ourselves so not all American gals expect at least 1500 from someone they supposedly love.  

Others have stated that unless she's a rich virgin, her dowry wouldn't be as much as they're asking. So, yes, they are being greedy and taking advantage of this man's ignorance, knowing that he's so in love with her that he'll beg, borrow, and steal for just about anything they want. That's   manipulative and an asshole move.

David thinks Annie loves him so if she is going into this thinking she will be under sexual and physical servitude, while David just wants to love and take care of her, then she is also an asshole. Not that I'm a David fan, but he seems to really care about this and he's trying really hard to give them what they want. 

On 11/2/2017 at 8:31 AM, 3girlsforus said:

I don't necessarily condone calling them greedy assholes but I think the poster was referring to her family's expectation being way out of line even for their own cultural expectations. Someone earlier in this thread I think (or maybe the David Poor thread) lives in Thailand and explained how the whole bride price thing works there. The price they are requesting is higher than is even usually requested for celebrity brides and even then it's typically returned to the couple as a 'getting started" gift. So even within their own cultural traditions the family is demanding far more than is considered acceptable, probably because they feel like they can try to bleed this guy dry on TV. 

Thank you. ^^

On 11/2/2017 at 11:47 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

THIS!!!  He’s going to have to spend way more than that on health care every month in the US for his decrepit old  happity ass.  And, poor Annie is going to end up being his nursemaid.

The fact that she’s willing to bind herself to someone like this if it helps her family out tells me that she puts those she loves most above her own self interest. It makes my skin crawl that this lovely young woman has to pick some old cheapskate like this, but he does seem to appreciate her. I just hope he pays every bhat to her family.

I don't understand why this woman is seen as a hero for using a man in hopes that he will support her family. They don't seem that poor actually. Maybe they run this scam on a lot of below average American men. I don't think it is honorable to squeeze every last dime out of a man that you know isn't well-off in the first place. I really think it's pretty shitty. She needs to find someone who can afford her. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Often they help the baby princess bride with those details that are just too much for her pretty little head.

Well, presumably they are her friends (aka people she hasn't stalked yet) and it is appropriate for her to ask her friends for help, so. . . 

Edited by Sprockets
typo
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Well, preumably they are her friends (aka people she hasn't stalked yet) and it is appropriate for her to ask her friends for help, so. . . 

I agree. In fact usually people close enough to be a bridesmaid want to help with wedding planning. 

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Quof said:

Nope. Never.  

It's perfectly acceptable to ask, as long as it's done in such a way the bridesmaid(s) know it's okay to refuse for any reason (other commitments, poor handwriting, just don't want to, etc.):

"Help the bride with a few wedding related tasks:

The bride can't insist that you to address invitations, design the program, assemble favors, etc. But it's not crazy of her to ask (very sweetly) if you'd mind lending a hand. If she seems like the type who's going to dish out a lot of DIY jobs, let her know up front what you're free to do: "I'm looking forward to helping with your wedding. I'd love to assemble the invitations, once it's time." If you say, "I'm happy to help with EVERYTHING!" you can't be annoyed when she expects you to." https://www.glamour.com/story/what-are-bridesmaids-jobs-for-a-wedding

• Love 2

I am looking forward to watching Evelyn dress shop (if she hasn't already), I can only imagine the pretty pretty princess routine that will play out in the bridal store. 

If Mikayla is a bridesmaid I have a feeling that Evelyn will select the ugliest dress in the store for that poor girl to have to wear.  

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:22 AM, pollywood said:

I get the sense that May's leash was bought by Nicole's parents and it would have never occurred to Nicole. She'd have to spend enough time with her daughter to know she needs one.

Evelyn, please don't sing. Maybe you're the most talented person in your tiny New Hampshire town but that doesn't mean you have talent.

Sorry for this late quote, but I just started watching this show yesterday (I can't believe I've never watched it before!)  What is the deal with Nicole?  Other than being an awful, spoiled, entitled, manipulative brat, I mean.  She doesn't seem to work, so why is she never taking care of her daughter?  What is she DOING all day if other people are taking care of her?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Quof said:

Nope. Never.  

This makes me sad. My daughter is getting married in a small mostly family ceremony. One of my closest friends isn’t invited because we didn’t extend the guest list to ‘friends of the parents’. But I know I might need an extra set of hands that day (or the week of) to pick things up or decorations etc. so I asked her if she might be willing to help. Her response was ‘Of course!! I assumed I would’. She was surprised I wouldn’t have just assumed she would do whatever she could to help. That’s what friends do. I certainly would for her as well. And she’s not even coming to the wedding. I would think friends  close enough to be in the ceremony would be involved enough in the bride’s life to want to be involved and helpful when they can. 

I realize distance can be an issue. If your bridesmaids don’t live near you it’s impractical for them to help.  

Close friends  want to help each other in their monumental life events. 

• Love 8