Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

So Evelyn's best friend was totally saying everything I was thinking, but of course Evie wasn't trying to hear it, largely because her parents were in a similar kind of relationship. I totally got the Duggar-esque conservative Christian vibe from them.

Nicole is insufferable, she's easily the most abhorrent cast member to be featured on this show (yes even worse than Piano Mark). I was already perturbed by her telling Mae to call Azan daddy and Azan kissing and hugging all over the toddler upon their first meeting, but my jaw dropped when Nicole saying she was jealous that Azan was being so loving towards Mae rather than her. She's a major narcissist and I really feel bad for her daughter.

The one who looks like Darcey and Danielle had a southern belle daughter together is so stupid and selfish, and I've already seen this storyline done with Darcey and Danielle so I'll be fast forwarding through her scenes.

Thai guy and Philippines guy both seem boring, but who knows what drama they will bring. 

• Love 14
14 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

Elizabeth doesn't look like her pictures. At all. We keep pausing and rewinding.

I noticed the same thing. And it seemed like more than just weight gain, which I think happened along with whatever else is going on there. 

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, jennylauren123 said:

I noticed the same thing. And it seemed like more than just weight gain, which I think happened along with whatever else is going on there. 

I didn't notice it, but if it's just in her face, it could be medication. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Gigglepuff said:

In North African countries like Morocco and Egypt, you'll often see shop owners in the streets giving sweets and other treats to kids and people make a huge fuss over them in general. It's cultural, I know saying it's cultural is a cliche but they really are very fond of kids. Some things they do seem strange to us but it's the norm over there. I remember being shocked at how men walked around holding hands and hugging each other. It doesn't mean a thing, it's just cultural. Azan's family will probably treat Mae like gold. 

Yes but they are also the leading countries to take advantage of young girls either with child marriage or abuse.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, butterbody said:

Can I just say that every time I read, "Father Nicole, Daughter Molly", etc, I come to life! 

Yes, I will always think of Pedro when using possessive nouns to describe family relationships.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

Yeah, let's not always blame the mom when the kids turn out rotten. Some people are born with a personality disorder or with severe character flaws that can be extremely hard to overcome, even with the best parenting. My impression from watching this is that the mother sees through Nicole, who may well take after her dad. He did not seem too sharp and was willing to cave into the blackmail. Mama Nicole has her daughter's number, but her efforts are undercut by a dad who is too stupid to see what is happening, or doesn't care because spoiling his precious baby is a good way to get back at his ex. The brother seems to have it more together and takes after his more sensible mother. 

Her father should have called her on her bluff. She would have been back in less than two weeks. I bet he was the kind of parent who was afraid she would actually hold her breath until she turned blue and died. 

ITA

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Agreed! They deserve what financial woes they get.

Does Azan even have a job? He didn't seem to be working when Nicole was visiting. (Sorry I didn't get to watch the whole thing last night so I'm re-watching it now. Maybe we will see him actually work, but I doubt it.)

Nicole is a bit of a monster, but that monster was created by her entire family. She's got very little empathy for the people around her, and she uses her daughter as a tool to get at them.

Her family should have said, "Fine, take your daughter and go to Morocco to be with Azan."  He would have dropped her like a hot potato.

What is it with these people who think they can marry four or five levels out of their league? I wouldn't be so critical of the disparity in appearance if it weren't for the fact that the Americans were so shallow.  And selfish.

Dad expected Nicole to give up a long time ago, but he underestimated his daughter's horniness. And no, she doesn't realize how much responsibility they are taking on. I don't know if her dad is trying to get back at her mom through Nicole or what, but he's making an incredibly stupid decision. Stepmom seems to realize it, but she's in lockstep with dad.

Nicole is one gigantic id.  Food and sex. Food and sex. Food and sex. Me, me, me.

I agree, go ahead and take your kid. But in the meantime, I'll be putting together a case against you for every real and made up allegation I can to take said kid away from you. I'll be damned if someone is going to threaten me with an innocent child and expect me to fall in line. But I also know that I've never caved in to bad behavior from my 10 y/o child so I have high expectations that he nor his future wife will pull that kind of shit on me. 

I didnt think there was anybody that would make me so ragey after Dinyell, but I have evil thoughts about fat baby Nicole. Reallllly evil thoughts. 

• Love 7

well Elizabeth was funny- there is a TV crew and the whole family together SPECIFIcally to show on 90 Day Fiance and she says "I don't wish to discuss it, let's just change the subject" Lets not talk about it. Lol. I mean the whole dinner was planned so everyone can argue about it and talk about it! How dumb!

Nicole is ratings gold. I totally agree. It says about us as a society-- Reality TV has been a huge thing the last 15 years or so...so TV shows are much cheaper to make and I remember reading  before this all started about how it was the way TV was going to go. I didnt quite get it when I first read about this- all I could think of was that one show that followed people around in a house - I think Real World-- and it was so boring.. I was like, who is going to watch Reality TV? Well if you find the weirdest, strangest, dumbest humans on the planet, everyone will watch.  That is the main goal.

Nicole and Azan make ones jaw drop.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Gigglepuff said:

In North African countries like Morocco and Egypt, you'll often see shop owners in the streets giving sweets and other treats to kids and people make a huge fuss over them in general. It's cultural, I know saying it's cultural is a cliche but they really are very fond of kids. Some things they do seem strange to us but it's the norm over there. I remember being shocked at how men walked around holding hands and hugging each other. It doesn't mean a thing, it's just cultural. Azan's family will probably treat Mae like gold. 

Nicole is an idiot and that's the problem, not Morocco itself. Children live there and holiday there all the time, it's a popular destination for Europeans especially. 

Yep.  I think Mae will be treated very nicely by Azan and his family.  There was a preview scene of the next episode (or coming up this season maybe?)...where Nicole is complaining that Azan isn't helping her enough with Mae.  Oy.  She is just so immature and stupid.

14 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

This is child abuse. Someone should call child protective services. Pronto!  I hate Nicole. She blackmailed the grandparents into sponsoring Azan with the threat of taking Mae to Morocco. Horrible bitch. 

What is child abuse?  Nicole is Mae's mother, and she can travel with her daughter.  There is no child abuse here.   

• Love 9

I feel bad for Molly's kids...I find it  unconscionable that a woman would MOVE a man she barely knows into her home with her children.  Luis does NOT love Molly, he just aimed at a target and got a bullseye.

On her reality show from a few years ago (Double Divas), IIRC, Molly's friend that she was a partner with at their store, had married a much younger man. 

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, kacesq said:

So David doesn't have any money and his fiancée has dollar signs in her eyes. I'm in, especially if we get more fabulous side eye from David's best friend's wife.

Side note...wow, the Duggar promo shows marriages and babies. How unusual for them. And the promos for Meet the Putnams scream creepy to me.

I loved that woman!  She clearly sees things for what they are.  David is the OLDEST looking 48 year old I have seen.  I was suffering embarrassment for him.  If he hasn't told his intended that he doesn't have 2 nickles to rub together he's an asshole.  Is he this years Dinyell?  

Azan needs to run for his life.  Nicole is really a giant pink baby.  Who DOES look like she has eaten her feelings.  Parents need to stop enabling her.  Mom clearly has been screaming from the rooftops that her daughter is a bulldozer and needs to not be enabled and there is ole dad giving in to what she wants.  So what if she has a tantrum?  Bring it!  I am thinking mom or sister, or 14 year old brother, need to get custody of Mae.  They would clearly all be better equipped than this woman baby.

• Love 5
Just now, Natalie68 said:

David is the OLDEST looking 48 year old I have seen.  I was suffering embarrassment for him.  If he hasn't told his intended that he doesn't have 2 nickles to rub together he's an asshole.

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.

• Love 5

I wasnt sure what Elizabeth meant when she giggled coyly and said that Andrei "intimidates" her. Does she mean sexually ? Or that he likes to wear the pants in the relationship ? Im guessing somewhere along those lines. Because "intimidates" is a really, really wrong choice of word to use. To me it has connotations of a man who is physically or verbally abusive and I dont think that was what she meant. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Kelly said:

What is child abuse?  Nicole is Mae's mother, and she can travel with her daughter.  There is no child abuse here.   

Unfortunately you are right. What's she's doing isn't child abuse, nothing harmful has happened to Mae YET.  She's allowed to be a sorry ass pig unless or until her child is abused in some way. 

Fingers crossed that family Azan will be good to and for Mae. Hell, they may be better than her own grandparents, they don't have to cave in to Nicole's childish temper tantrums and threats. 

• Love 4

I don't think Nicole "ran away" when she ended up in Texas.  From what I recall she met a guy and moved her and Mae there and it didn't work out so she moved back. 

The guy in Thailand.... it's pretty normal for people who lose a large amount of weight to look older than they are.  At least that's my experience from watching My 600 lb Life.  i keep thinking he's in his 60s thought too because I keep wondering if he's living off retirement money. But I guess that's not the case. I assume he's probably living off a 401K which is supplemented by the friend. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

But it also sounds like the dad does not have to support Azan for 10 years as the stepmom keeps saying

No one has to support Azan.  The agreement says they will pay back anything he receives in the way of public funds - which are very difficult to get anyway, as a single, healthy man.  It does seem like they don't know what they are agreeing to.  Maybe the Nicole apple didn't fall far from the tree?  

5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

He was more interested in me and my brothers (in a bad way) than he probably was in her

I am so sorry that happened.  

when Nicole threatened to take Mae and move to Morocco if her family would not sponsor Azan - where was she going to get the money to do that? 

And how was she going to get permission from the Moroccan government?  The family is held hostage by her whining and empty threats.  

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Kelly said:

Yep.  I think Mae will be treated very nicely by Azan and his family.  There was a preview scene of the next episode (or coming up this season maybe?)...where Nicole is complaining that Azan isn't helping her enough with Mae.  Oy.  She is just so immature and stupid.

IMO, it's child abuse to drag a toddler half way around the world to chase a boy toy you barely know and introduce said toy to your child as "daddy."  At the same time, she is uprooting the baby from the stability and security of the child's extended family, grandparents and at least one uncle who clearly love the child. Giving a random, non-relative man access to a young girl in your home is setting that child up for potential (statistically likely) abuse. 

You are right, Nicole can do whatever the hell she wants (and she will), but what she is wants to do is very detrimental to her young, defenceless child.  When we are parents we should not always do what we want to do, and we have a moral obligation to do what is the best for our children, not to satisfy our libido or ego or other narcissistic desires.   

• Love 11
Just now, Desert Rat said:

IMO, it's child abuse to drag a toddler half way around the world to chase a boy toy you barely know and introduce said toy to your child as "daddy."  At the same time, she is uprooting the baby from the stability and security of the child's extended family, grandparents and at least one uncle who clearly love the child. Giving a random, non-relative man access to a young girl in your home is setting that child up for potential (statistically likely) abuse. 

You are right, Nicole can do whatever the hell she wants (and she will), but what she is wants to do is very detrimental to her young, defenceless child.  When we are parents we should not always do what we want to do, and we have a moral obligation to do what is the best for our children, not to satisfy our libido or ego or other narcissistic desires.   

No doubt...but in the eyes of the law, dept of children's services etc - it's not.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm in no means defending Nicole.  She is obviously an idiot.

• Love 18

I can't be totally objective when I watch these shows.  When I was 4, my divorced mother brought a man into our home.  He was more interested in me and my brothers (in a bad way) than he probably was in her.  He had free access to me for 12 years.  Yes, she knew - but as long as she had a roof over her head and food on the table, she was looking the other way.

I haven't been watching this show for very long, but I do recall scenes of Azan saying that he could not show affection to Nicole in public "because of his culture."  But then the first thing I noticed in the previews about Azan was that he was holding and kissing Mae quite freely.  I know that kissing an adult is different from kissing a child, but it set off red flags in my non-objective mind.

And one other thing . . . when Nicole threatened to take Mae and move to Morocco if her family would not sponsor Azan - where was she going to get the money to do that?  Where did she get the money to fly back over there with Mae, who is past her second birthday and would require her own seat on the plane?  I know that the show pays her, but wouldn't welfare and Section 8 want to reduce her income from them if they have proof (like on a tv show) that she has disposable income?

I am wondering where she expects to live in Morocco?  I think Azan is only into this whole thing as long as she is thousands of miles away.  I don't think that is the place I would go as a young, poor, single mother.  Job prospects must be a bitch!

I also think if she were a tad bit smarter, thinner, charming she would be trolling the nursing homes for a meal ticket and then steal all their money.

• Love 5

So, assuming Azan gets permission to come here on a visa (which is iffy, IMO), remember Nicole's father stipulated that a condition of sponsoring him would be that he and Nicole not live together.  So where is Azan supposed to live?  Of course he isn't allowed to stay in section 8 housing, if that's where Nicole is, so what is Father Nicole's plan?  

• Love 6

1. Where is Sister Nicole?  Remember, the one who cared for Mae when Nicole went to Morocco last time? And also toilet trained her, because Nicole was too stupid/lazy to do it?  Because I'm hoping she will yank the pacifier out of that child's mouth.

2. When Elizabeth says "Awn-drrrrray", does anyone else hear "Awn-drea Zuckerman?"

• Love 3
17 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

<snip>

b) I thought the bride came WITH a dowry. As in, the bride's family sends money to the groom. This situation seems like he's paying the family to take their daughter. And now he's trying to get a discount or a payment plan or whatever. <snip>

17 hours ago, AmyBre said:

<snip> I have a $20 that says that the dowry is some made up story by Sharp Entertainment. <snip>

From http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-dowry.php

"So you have finally found your true love in the Land of Smiles – but you’ve got one major question before taking the big plunge. “How much dowry do I need to pay for my bride?”

This is the question that always pops up along with the other requirements for Marriage in Thailand. The Thai dowry system, which is more commonly known as Sin Sod, is deeply rooted in Thai culture. It is a way of honoring your bride’s parents for raising their daughter well. This is also a way of showing that you are financially capable of taking care of your Thai bride throughout your married life, because her parents tend to consider financial security as basis for the marriage.

You will need to negotiate with your bride’s parents regarding the amounts of the Sin Sod and Tong Mun. Tong Mun, which means gold engagement, is 24-karat gold that you give to your wife-to-be. The rule of thumb is, the higher the amount of the gold, the better. This is similar to the giving an engagement ring in the West.

Then there’s the Sin Sod, or the actual dowry, which can include anything of value, but usually it is about the money. Most Westerners get confused with the amount of dowry that they have to pay to their Thai bride’s parents, as dowry prices are set at unbelievably high amounts ranging from 100,000- 1,000,000 baht. [...]"

@AMYBRE: Would you like to mail that 20.00 to me? I could really use it!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The reason Nicole's father had to sponsor Azan is because Nicole is on welfare.  If something happens and Nicole's father loses his job and can no longer support them, father is responsible to pay back any government benefits that Azan receives.  Yes, immigrants can apply for welfare, Section 8, and food stamps.  

I thought she worked at Starbucks? What happened to that job? I just figured she was part time and doesn’t make enough. I wasn’t thinking welfare. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

No defense of Nicole because she's incompetent, but people travel with children all the time. Leaving everything you've ever known for only 2 months is not in and of itself abusive. It's called summer camp. Parents even move away from everything their kids have ever known for new jobs, to attend school, etc. None of that is abusive.

I'm always on edge when a clueless parent moves a non-relative into the home with kids, but even remarrying and doing just that is not abusive on its face.

The abuse comes from parental neglect and lacking the foresight to analyze situations that aren't wise. There's no problem with a regular parent taking a toddler to Morocco. Because they will be paying attention.

• Love 12

Nicole-  Other then how stupid & manipulative Nicole is. I felt no connection towards her & her daughter. The way she interacts with her daughter is more on an annoying little sister level. When they were in Nicole’s bedroom Nicole was busy texting on her phone,at dinner her daughter was being watched by her brother.  I bet Nicole is one of those people who let there child run around a restaurant running in to people, & screaming. (Which annoys me like no other) I can’t wait to see how she deals with her on the long plane ride. 

Annie- I was laughing when she said “she could spend her life with David. She left out the “Rest of her life” . Meaning she can spend her life with him until she gets to America. I don’t feel sorry for this guy at all. He has no money & he knows it. Seems like he replaced his weight problem with tying to live a life he can’t afford. 

Molly- Listen to your daughter.  Why would you want a 20 yr old guy living under the same roof as your 17 he old daughter? 

Elizabeth- I have a feeling she’s going to be just like Loren,who is constantly saying how sexy her man is,. Other then that I will never understand the weird obsession some father’s have with their daughters who need to have control of who she dates.  Unless they show a legit reason why they don’t like him they should stop judging him. Unless he becomes abusive/cheater to Elizabeth then they should butt out of her relationship and just be happy for her.  Why the drama???

• Love 3

Evelyn was so damn smug to her friend when she said "have you ever been in love?"

It seems to me that Evelyn just wants to have sex, and the quickest way to do that is to get married. 

• Love 23

You guyssss!  This is my first season watching this show and I wasn't prepared for  NICOLE!  I had read on some other boards about her, but holy jeeze this girl and her father and step mother are out of their minds. I think the dad is are betting on the fact that they will likely break up before the 90 days is up, but they are sacrificing so much for her thankless ass. Just wow. I'm with Mom...she's got Miss Nicole pegged.  I was absolutely astonished they did that for her.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

No defense of Nicole because she's incompetent, but people travel with children all the time. Leaving everything you've ever known for only 2 months is not in and of itself abusive. It's called summer camp. Parents even move away from everything their kids have ever known for new jobs, to attend school, etc. None of that is abusive.

I'm always on edge when a clueless parent moves a non-relative into the home with kids, but even remarrying and doing just that is not abusive on its face.

The abuse comes from parental neglect and lacking the foresight to analyze situations that aren't wise. There's no problem with a regular parent taking a toddler to Morocco. Because they will be paying attention.

Well, I'm only referring to Nicole's situation, and I think she is putting her daughter in grave risk. Of course people travel out move all over the world with their children and it's no big deal. But that's not what we see on this show.  

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, CourtneyCourt said:

I thought she worked at Starbucks? What happened to that job? I just figured she was part time and doesn’t make enough. I wasn’t thinking welfare. 

Yes she has this job at Starbucks but makes below the poverty line for a family with a young child, so Im sure she gets Aid to Families of Dependent Children and Food stamps, otherwise called welfare. Along with the subsidized housing. If she didn't have the kid, she wouldn't get it.  It's there as a step up and to make sure the babies of these idiots don't go starving.  Apparently its fine to leave her Starbucks job for 2 month to go on vacation across the world though....

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Quof said:

1. Where is Sister Nicole?  Remember, the one who cared for Mae when Nicole went to Morocco last time? And also toilet trained her, because Nicole was too stupid/lazy to do it?  Because I'm hoping she will yank the pacifier out of that child's mouth.

2. When Elizabeth says "Awn-drrrrray", does anyone else hear "Awn-drea Zuckerman?"

Mae was still wearing a diaper.  I saw the back of it riding up over her pants.  So it must have been too much trouble to keep it up.

• Love 4

I'm puzzled by the timeline. Mae was 2 and a half, or maybe even 3, last time around, which is why I noticed she should have been toilet trained. Now she's 2 and a half?   So basically (sorry Judge Judy), they started filming immediately after she came home? 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, KikiBda said:

I was under the impression she lived in her mums home.  And the daughter and her share a room. I didn't notice a motel look.

I would be much more comfortable with Mae living at her grandmothers house with her mom.  If I remember correctly from last season Nicole and Mae were filmed playing ball outside a one story Bates Motel style complex.  I hope that child isn’t living her life in a 12x12 room!  Had her dad and stepmom not added the stipulation about Azan not living with Nicole until marriage, I can’t imagine how that would have worked out in that little room.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, brillia79 said:

I may be wrong, but I thought she was threatening to move to Morocco if her parents wouldn't sponsor him in order for him to move here. No, traveling with a functioning adult parent would be wonderful for a child and not neglectful or selfish in any way imo. It's the threat of moving her away from what little stability and normalcy she has here with her extended family that makes Nicole a POS. 

• Love 2

As I watched last night it struck me again that in several cases on this show the American bringing the "poor foreigner" over is the one committing fraud. The gal from Thailand is being honest about the fact she doesn't love David. She wants him to give her family money, a dowry, and she wants to go to America. She told him upfront. She doesn't love him and he's not good looking. Her own words. She thinks he has money and lives in a nice house in the big city. Ummm. No. He's broke and lives in Louisville, Kentucky. Who's lying? David is strange looking and broke. What a catch! Jorge pulled the same thing on Anfisa. He lied and told her that he was a millionaire and would give her anything she wanted. She told him exactly what she wanted from him and never lied about it.

Nicole is even bigger than she was before. How can the family allow her to take her toddler to Morocco for two months? I'm not saying anything against Morocco. I'm saying  that Nicole is an immature moron who has no business taking her daughter anywhere alone for two months. She's not a responsible parent. The grandparents seem to provide the only stability in her life. I'm guessing but I don't know that for sure. Coaching the little girl to call Azan Daddy is pathetic and sad. Nicole is the worst! Azan, if you only realized that coming to America isn't worth having to hang out with Nicole for 10 minutes much less marry her. Shudder. She must have quit her job as a barista if she is taking off and leaving the country for two months. Great! Smart move.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, NinaH said:

Omg Nicole is such a selfish, sorry piece of shit!!!!!  Her dad & stepmom, who are partially responsible for that, are idiots for caving in to her. 

I'm torn. What could they (the step-mom and dad) do?  They were afraid she was going to take Mae over there and never come back if they didn't help her.  I thought the stepmom was very articulate.  I really feel for them.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

I'm torn. What could they (the step-mom and dad) do?  They were afraid she was going to take Mae over there and never come back if they didn't help her.

But Nicole could not do that, even if she wanted to ,and even if Azan wanted her to, which he doesn't because he wants to come to the States.  Morocco wouldn't want her.  Her threat was an empty one, and it could only have worked on people who didn't care enough to research the facts.  

Edited by Sprockets
typo
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Quof said:

I'm puzzled by the timeline. Mae was 2 and a half, or maybe even 3, last time around, which is why I noticed she should have been toilet trained. Now she's 2 and a half?   So basically (sorry Judge Judy), they started filming immediately after she came home? 

I do believe Nichole said it had been six months since she'd seen Azan.  

19 minutes ago, keetmommy said:

I often wonder watching some of these girls talking about coming here for a better life not for love, if an immigration agent saw the video if they could deny the green card

I doubt it.  Love is not required for a marriage to be legally valid.  

• Love 7

I'm starting to feel pretty damn guilty about watching this show in 2017 -- immigration is more fraught a topic than ever before, and the last thing that's needed is this largely negative and contrived representation. But at the same time, I can't tear my eyes away from it.

Apologies if this was addressed further upthread and I missed it: is Elizabeth (Andrei's betrothed) yet another un/underemployed American on this show? I was plenty disgusted by the staged dinner with her family, where her father kept reiterating that his daughter needs to be "taken care of" by a husband and pop out babies, so I couldn't fully read between the lines, but it sounded like he was already paying his adult daughter's bills. If so, it's completely understandable that he doesn't want someone else on his dole (even if it's only a temporary situation before Andrei can work), but it's not addressing the actual issue. Someone who can't financially support themselves should not be getting married to anyone, foreign or domestic! Otherwise, they're likely going to end up stunted, and in a situation with a messed up power dynamic and codependency. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Kelly said:

I'm with Kelly on this one.  There's no abuse per se.  It's more neglect and very poor child rearing.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

I'm starting to feel pretty damn guilty about watching this show in 2017 -- immigration is more fraught a topic than ever before, and the last thing that's needed is this largely negative and contrived representation. But at the same time, I can't tear my eyes away from it.

Apologies if this was addressed further upthread and I missed it: is Elizabeth (Andrei's betrothed) yet another un/underemployed American on this show? I was plenty disgusted by the staged dinner with her family, where her father kept reiterating that his daughter needs to be "taken care of" by a husband and pop out babies, so I couldn't fully read between the lines, but it sounded like he was already paying his adult daughter's bills. If so, it's completely understandable that he doesn't want someone else on his dole (even if it's only a temporary situation before Andrei can work), but it's not addressing the actual issue. Someone who can't financially support themselves should not be getting married to anyone, foreign or domestic! Otherwise, they're likely going to end up stunted, and in a situation with a messed up power dynamic and codependency. 

Elizabeth works for her dad's property management company. I'm not sure if she's a really hard worker there or if it's just "i have a desk at my dad's business so I can say I have a job" situation...

im not going to last the season with how she says Andrei. It's like she's trying SO HARD to pronounce it as a native speaker would and it just sounds so affected.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Hero said:

Evelyn was so damn smug to her friend when she said "have you ever been in love?"

It seems to me that Evelyn just wants to have sex, and the quickest way to do that is to get married. 

Which is super sad because I am sure if she didn't have these "duggerest" views she should just get laid with an American and live her life instead of rushing into a marriage with someone who may or maynot be good for her.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, LocalGovt said:

I'm torn. What could they (the step-mom and dad) do?  They were afraid she was going to take Mae over there and never come back if they didn't help her.  I thought the stepmom was very articulate.  I really feel for them.

Call her bluff. Come on, she's not really going to disappear with Mae. She's just being manipulative. 

I also think that Nicole figures that she'll find a way to live with Azan once she gets him here. She won't follow ANY of her father's stipulations. He's a fool.

The other thing I find fascinating is how all these women think the US is filled with gold and unicorns. They think it's all cities and excitement. Um, nope. Much of the US is very ordinary. Just like other parts of the world are ordinary too. There is beauty and excitement all over the world, but not in every square inch of it. 

Edited by jackjill89
  • Love 4

I feel sorry for Elizabeth as she has her father's hanging neck- the loose skin turkey neck.  Look at her dad and then look at her- identical although his is worse from aging. It's weird because she is so young. Her sister's are both really pretty

• Love 3