Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

S01.E10: Reality Check

19 minutes ago, 4leafclover said:

As a Texan, I must disagree.  We are not "too closed minded," but rather, our men aren't social outcasts and our women aren't desperate losers.  

IDK about that LOL my personal experience with Texans, ie: my SIL and her family begs to differ. However, maybe they’re in the minority. :-)

1 hour ago, Kangatush said:

Let's just say that every region of the country has idiots and geniuses, rich folk and poor folk.  

And half the people in each region are below average...

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Kangatush said:

She also didn't tell him not to kick people, trusting that he had enough common sense to know that on his own.

4 hours ago, zoemom said:

Mr. Zoemom is an engineer, he does a lot of consulting work all over the world; when time/opportunity permits I've often traveled with him to different countries.  Most of the time we eat in restaurants on our own time, but on occasion (especially when he was working in Japan), we were often invited to dinner in the home of his clients and their families.  While many of these families spoke English, some didn't and many times I didn't know what I was eating.  At one home I was served basashi  (it tasted like prosciutto) - I thought it was a type of sushi as it was raw.  It was delicious - I didn't find out until the evening was over that what I had enjoyed so much was actually raw horse meat.   I've also slogged through many plates of natto (disgusting fermented soybeans), eaten whale, and chomped on sticks of nankotsu (chicken cartlidge). Gross, yes maybe to Western palates, but I'd never dream of insulting our hosts by refusing what I've been served.  Even if I didn't particularly like something, I've always found that if you at least take a few bites and don't make a scene (I'm looking at you Larry!) it goes a long way with those who have worked so hard to prepare food for you.

They're called "manners" Larry, wouldn't hurt you to get some.

3 hours ago, gavinmac said:

My theory is that people from northern/coastal states are smarter and wealthier and don't go for foreign brides. And people from South Carolina and Texas are too closed minded. This leaves medium-backwards states like Kentucky/Ohio as the sweet spot for Americans who will import foreign fiances. Along with Florida, of course.

Wait, is crossing yourself when you're served a meal and thus telling the host and everyone in attendance "I'm afraid your cooking will kill me" making a scene?

This thread and especially these posts are giving me life!! @zoemom I am so envious of you--adventurous eating like this is a small price, if even a price, to pay for such amazing experiences! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Drogo said:

The problem isn't piglets or anxiety or dietary restrictions... the problem is abstinence and the resulting mental volatility and complete inability to prioritize.

If Larry wasn't abstaining until marriage-- and not eating the lechon meant "100% No Sex Tonight"-- Larry would have been like:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Source:  I ate gefilte fish and kishka the night I met my wife's extended family.  I know a thing or two about priorities.

I'd kill for some sweet gefilte fish but I live in Missouri now and they don't sell it here. I'm hoping you got the loaf and not the nasty Manichevitz  in a jar of fish water. Even I wouldn't eat that shit and gefilte fish is my jam. I'm sure you got the good stuff but, I agree, gefilte fish may be an acquired taste. I'm so sad. Now I have a craving. 

• Like 3

One Jewish comedian wrote that gefilte fish were the only food Jewish children were permitted to refuse.  From my own experience, they are an acquired taste,and definitely not my jam. As a guest at a few Seders over the years, both in homes and once in a temple, I follwed the when in Rome rule to show respect and found a way to help it down. The ones from the deli are way better than Manischewitz. YMMV.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

And Larry seems like the type of guy that'll never let Jenny forget he drained his 401k for her. 

He's going to hold that over her head forever. She OWES him.

I totally agree. I feel like he's holding the fact that he drained his 401k over all of OUR heads, and we are just poor, hapless viewers!

• Like 7

On 10/10/2017 at 3:54 PM, balisticnikki said:

And for some of us, "the worst thing you could ever do is" force somebody to eat something they are repulsed by.

Agreed. Of course Larry should've have been more gracious and appreciative of Jenny's family, and it was painful to watch him be so oblivious to their feelings. But good manners are a two-way street, and I don't think seeing a guest so visibly nervous and uncomfortable should prompt a host to draw attention to him and immediately think he is being intentionally disrespectful, especially when he is so clearly out of his element. It was bad communication all the way around. 

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, jennylauren123 said:
18 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

I totally agree. I feel like he's holding the fact that he drained his 401k over all of OUR heads, and we are just poor, hapless viewers!

He obviously feels like he has invested in the relationship and deserves a payback.  Ironically, a man who spends his 401k is not so attractive.  And wait until later, when he has to pay taxes on what he took out. . . .

22 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

It was bad communication all the way around. 

This situation feels entirely scripted to me, and I think the pig was a production assistant who sacrificed himself.  

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Agreed. Of course Larry should've have been more gracious and appreciative of Jenny's family, and it was painful to watch him be so oblivious to their feelings. But good manners are a two-way street, and I don't think seeing a guest so visibly nervous and uncomfortable should prompt a host to draw attention to him and immediately think he is being intentionally disrespectful, especially when he is so clearly out of his element. It was bad communication all the way around. 

This is where the different cultures thing comes in.  In Phillipino culture it is a HUGE deal to offer a guest food.  Especially a food that requires a lot of sacrifice to afford.  Meat is a sign of wealth.  They were literally offering the most valuable thing they had to Larry.  Him rejecting that was a slap in the face.  If he did enough research to know about the head touch, he should have known not to reject gifts.  None of this at all reflects on Jenny's family.  

Edited by Kangatush
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

If he did enough research to know about the head touch, he should have known not to reject gifts.  None of this at all reflects on Jenny's family.  

It is never good manners to make a guest feel uncomfortable.  In most cultures the host's job is to make the guest feel good.  I remember a story - I can't remember the people involved, but  it happened at a formal dinner part in England - where a guest picked up his finger bowl and drank from it.   The hostess immediately picked up hers and drank, and the rest of the guests followed suit, so as to not make the first person feel uncomfortable.  Now, that is impressive behavior.  

In this case, however, there was absolutely zero healthy communication taking place.  Awkwardness abounded on all sides.  This had nothing much to do with cultural norms, and a whole lot to do with all parties behaving poorly.  Larry missed a bazillion opportunities to explain his aversion to the dead pig.  Larry's prostitute, er, girfriend, jumped straight into a meltdown without asking him what was going on, and the hosts did not seem at all concerned about Larry's distress.  

49 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Of course Larry should've have been more gracious and appreciative of Jenny's family, and it was painful to watch him be so oblivious to their feelings.

Agreed, and of course Larry was not forced to do anything.  I can think of many ways he could have dealt with that situation that would have resulted in much less upset and might have made him seem like an adult.  None of those ways involves eating anything he didn't want to et.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

This is where the different cultures thing comes in.  In Phillipino culture it is a HUGE deal to offer a guest food

But that's part of my point. Larry is clearly not from the Philippines and I'm sure they could all tell that he was quite ignorant of their cultural nuances, so why jump to the conclusion that he is being intentionally rude? Why not just assume that he doesn't realize how big a deal the lechon is and go from there, for instance by having Jenny pull him aside to explain the significance? Nearly everyone makes some sort of etiquette mistake when travelling abroad, no matter how much preparation is done, so why not give people the benefit of the doubt (at least regarding their intentions)?

And yes to everything Sprockets said!

Quick anecdote: one of my exes was from Afghanistan and when his parents came to visit him we had a feast one night and all sat around on the floor talking (well, I was just sitting quietly listening to them speak Farsi). I always get leg cramps from sitting on the floor, so while I was stretching my legs, my boyfriend looked horrified and whispered to me to change position- I was sitting with my legs straight out and the soles of my feet were facing his father on the other side of the room, which is apparently very rude in his culture. It never would have occurred to me that something I considered so innocuous would be seen as offensive, but was happy oblige. (Later in their visit he asked me to tell his mother that I ironed his clothes for him, to show off my "wife" skills. I laughed in his face.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jennylauren123 said:

The only thing she can relate his 401k to is her SS, or Social Security. At her age and after a few jobs as a sales girl or similar jobs, she would have a hundred bucks in her account waiting for her retirement. She probably doesn't see him making a huge, impressive sacrifice cashing his out.

51 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

. . . the pig was a production assistant who sacrificed himself.  

I imagine lots of assignments on these weird shows being decided by "rock / paper / scissors."  This, of course, being the ultimate.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

why jump to the conclusion that he is being intentionally rude?

The thing is that unintentional rudeness is nearly as offensive. Some people, though, decide not to give a pass to those being unintentionally rude.

59 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

It will always be a case of dumb Americans who don’t research the country or culture they are going to. 

Exactly. There'd be no show if they showed all the plenty of normal Americans who educate themselves about the country or culture they visit. I know a woman who took night classes in Arabic because her husband is from the middle east. She didn't have to, but she wanted to. They had children and she wanted to show them that that part of their heritage was important and wanted to encourage them to be bilingual. Most people may not try and learn their partner's language, but certainly most people would be somewhat interested in the country, the culture and customs. 

• Like 3

Of course Larry should've have been more gracious and appreciative of Jenny's family, and it was painful to watch him be so oblivious to their feelings. But good manners are a two-way street, and I don't think seeing a guest so visibly nervous and uncomfortable should prompt a host to draw attention to him and immediately think he is being intentionally disrespectful, especially when he is so clearly out of his element.

Flashbacks to Mike and Aya 2 (or 3?) seasons ago.  The plump guy from the middle of nowhere America and the young Russian woman who spoke perfect English?  When they arrived at Family Mike's house, she refused to eat a bite, saying she just didn't like to eat in front of others.  Mother Mike was hurt, and kept pushing in a motherly way.  There was much talk on the boards - How dare she?  How incredibly rude.  It was just normal American food, she should eat it and be grateful.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, jnymph said:

Why wouldn't Larry research,  "typical Phillipino dinners/gatherings/traditions," etc;  prior to spending his 401 K?     Just sayin'.   

That would require some intelligence and forethought on his part.  I'm not sure what led you to believe that Larry has either. ?

Edited by DragonFlyzz
  • Like 5

On 10/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, MrSmith said:

I know where you're coming from. Until recently, I had very strict rules about what kinds of food could touch what other kinds of food on my plate. This would lead me to taking only certain things on my plate at a time. I've relaxed some of those rules for things my wife cooks because I know the flavors of those  things mixes well. When I'm at my parents or elsewhere, all those rules are in effect. What's truly amazing (and just one reason why I love my wife so much) is that my wife has actually learned all those rules over the years and knows which ones can be ignored  at home. No disrespect to anybody else, but my wife is the the best woman in the world! :D

I hope you've told MrsSmith and not just us. ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DragonFlyzz said:

I hope you've told MrsSmith and not just us. ?

Definitely! She hears it at least once a day. :)

• Like 5

I know someone who married a mail order bride.  Went to the wedding.  The bride was from Vietnam.   Very nice woman.  She came to America with her two high school age daughters.  Her husband was poor slob with enough money to bring them here.  The adjustment on both sides was hard.  

The point I'm making, from my personal observation, is that these guys like Larry get these women because they feel they are doing the woman a big favor and they owe them.  They want to feel like they have the upper hand.  They don't respect them and don't want a mutual partnership.  If they did, then they would bother to learn about their culture prior to meeting them.  

Larry is a putz.  Jenny's family is clearly dirt poor.  They spent a fortune on that dinner in honor of Larry.  But Larry is so self absorbed in himself that he couldn't see it.  

• Like 10

On 10/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

I'm still wondering how she's even going to go about actually learning English? Is Paul going to teach her? Does he just expect her to absorb it the way a baby does? She's going to need classes or some type of tutoring.

She's already learning.  Every once in awhile she will say something in english or even after she types it on the translator she will try to ask it in english. 

On 10/11/2017 at 8:45 AM, Mr. Minor said:

He was spooning her on the bed in the stupid fucking hat and 2 days of travel funk. Take a shower dumbass!  

But don't you remember that nice sink bath he took in the airport where he even washed down his shirt while wearing it?? ;)

• Like 3

This is why Larry and Jenny aren't a good couple, aren't on the same page, aren't in love and aren't ready to get married. If she knew her fiancé was a man of good intentions, she would know he meant no disrespect, that he is just socially...challenged. And she would know to jump in and tell her family in Tagalog or whatever language, "he's not snubbing you! He's blahblahblah." She should be ready to become "one" with this man. Not turn on him when he is clearly already a nervous wreck and totally out of his element and call him "rude" and basically an idiot.

If they believe each loves the other, it's supposed to be "them against the world" and a given that each has the best of intentions for the other. That's love...not forcing yourself to eat a disgusting, bloated animal that is staring at you.....

Jenny: You are RUDE!

Larry: What?? I'm OLD?!

lolol

Edited by balisticnikki
  • Like 10

14 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

If they believe each loves the other, it's supposed to be "them against the world" and a given that each has the best of intentions for the other. That's love...not forcing yourself to eat a disgusting, bloated animal that is staring at you.....

I wholeheartedly agree that being in love means you are on the same team- but a relationship is full of give and take, and accepting new things as important that perhaps they didn't consider important before. 

Eating the pig wasn't only important to Jenny's family, it was important to Jenny herself.  And if it's important to Jenny, it needs to be important to Larry. 

• Like 9

On 10/12/2017 at 1:29 PM, LGGirl said:

The point I'm making, from my personal observation, is that these guys like Larry get these women because they feel they are doing the woman a big favor and they owe them.  They want to feel like they have the upper hand.  They don't respect them and don't want a mutual partnership.  If they did, then they would bother to learn about their culture prior to meeting them.  

Amen, amen, amen!!  I so agree with you, and it's not just the men, the American women are no different.   I think they all suffer from narcissism, so they need to buy a partner who they can own and control.   I feel very sorry for these people who are so desperate to get away from horrific poverty.    If there's nothing else to learn from this show, it is certainly a treatise on narcissism.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

Jenny: You are RUDE!

Larry: What?? I'm OLD?!

lolol

That was hysterical.

Also, the look of absolute disgust on her face when he wouldn't eat the pig.  That's the way she feels about him about 95% of the time. 

Make no mistake. Jenny despises this man.

He's a sacrifice she needs to make. Just like her mother is making a sacrifice by not having seen her family in three years.

She sleeps on a stone floor.

Larry's a fool. And, he's her vehicle.

• Like 9

Regarding the thoughts that "Jenny should respect that Larry doesn't want to eat the pig"- although I get that, Larry has a long way to go regarding social graces and managing a situation such as the one he faced with tact.

Ideally:  Jenny: "Look, Larry- we made this roasted pig for you as a special welcoming meal! We haven't had such a feast in 20 years because my family is dirt poor and we want to let you know that you are an honored guest at our home! Please!  Eat and enjoy!"  

Larry:  "My goodness, your family is so wonderful to treat me as such a special guest. I will savor this meal and enjoy it because of the work and caring that went into it."

-Larry tastes the pork (and eats lots of side dishes if the pork doesn't appeal to him), smiling and thanking his hosts multiple times.

Reality:  Jenny: "Look, Larry- we made this roasted pig for you as a special welcoming meal! We haven't had such a feast in 20 years because my family is dirt poor and we want to let you know that you are an honored guest at our home! Please!  Eat and enjoy!"  

Larry:  (winces, wrinkles nose, eyes dart from side to side):  "Uhh.... ummmm.... this is gross.  I don't think I can eat this.  I'm going to gag.  I KNOW I'm going to gag.  How do I get through this?  Oh, dear god...."  Sighs heavily. Looks sick.  Looks like he wants to run.  Reluctantly takes a bite, looking as if he's going to vomit it right back out.  Doesn't thank them.  Complains some more.

That's the difference.  Larry is a social infant and an oaf.  I would have been offended as well.  Jenny was looking for a ticket to a better life, no doubt- but she was hoping that her ticket would act somewhat like a human rather than a thankless slob.

• Like 15

There's such a glaring difference between the situations. 

The flippant Miriam, Jesse & Antonio versus the poverty and grim desperation of Jenny, Katrine & Abby. 

• Like 6

On 10/9/2017 at 5:41 AM, Peanutbuttercup said:

That roast pig looked delicious. Larry should have chowed down and said a silent thanks that he wasn't presented with balut.

I was positively salivating over that pig. How the skin crackled when they cut into it? Yum...

Larry's a rube. But we already knew that. Even so the sweating and clawing at his neck was a bit much. I enjoyed watching the children right behind him openly laughing at him. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2017 at 8:49 AM, MrSmith said:

If I recall correctly, Larry is Jewish. So, no, he really couldn't have eaten any of the pig. And where do you get the bolded part from? McDonald's burgers are actually beef; highly processed beef, but they're still beef. So even if he eats at McDonald's, provided he's not having the McRib, then he's still not eating pork.

I know plenty of Jewish people that eat pork. Bacon is just too hard to resist. ?

If if that was the case - it's very easy to thank them for the lovely meal but explain he can't partake for religious reasons. Case closed. He did none of that to Jenny, her family or the production crew. All I heard was "unadventurous eater and fear of diarrhea".

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 1:13 AM, Nowhere said:

I'd kill for some sweet gefilte fish but I live in Missouri now and they don't sell it here. I'm hoping you got the loaf and not the nasty Manichevitz  in a jar of fish water. Even I wouldn't eat that shit and gefilte fish is my jam. I'm sure you got the good stuff but, I agree, gefilte fish may be an acquired taste. I'm so sad. Now I have a craving. 

Thanks for the education on gelfite fish! I'm from Long Island and in my younger days worked at a nice diner with a fairly large Jewish clientele. Gefilte fish was an appetizer choice for inclusive dinners. It was the nasty  Manichevitz in fish water. I got skeeved the very few times I served it - not popular and I had to retrieve from fridge myself - so I had an inkling how old it was . 

But if my "fiancee's" family the first time I met them, made a special dinner and served that nasty shit I'd manage to snark down a few bites and smile.

• Like 2

Why did Larry break into exaggerated broken english when he was talking with her family??   Good lord.   And 2 thumbs up for Jenny's dad.  He was so unimpressed with Larry's marriage proposal he was like Get off my Goat lawn.

• Like 8

On 10/13/2017 at 9:56 AM, gunderda said:

She's already learning.  Every once in awhile she will say something in english or even after she types it on the translator she will try to ask it in english. 

But don't you remember that nice sink bath he took in the airport where he even washed down his shirt while wearing it?? ;)

While its nice that Karine appears to make an effort, I dont think sounding out phonetically the words appearing on the translator app are helping her English skills because she seems like she has no clue what she is saying, what syllables go with what word, etc. If she moves to the US she will most definitely have to take some English classes starting from the basics. I remember from the first season Kirlyam was from Brazil and had very lmited English (but her fiance spoke Portuguese with her.) And now her English has dramatically improved from the sounds of it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

There's such a glaring difference between the situations. 

The flippant Miriam, Jesse & Antonio versus the poverty and grim desperation of Jenny, Katrine & Abby. 

Yea.... I cant imagine Miriam, Jesse or Antonio having any desire to leave Paris, Amsterdam, or Spain for what .... Kentucky ? Orlando ?  Its pretty obvious that the western European participants have absolutely no desire to leave their lives to come to the U.S. Myriam was even saying how much she loved Paris.  This show is much more realistic when displaying fiances from impoverished countries that are known for exporting women (Phillipines, parts of Latin Ameica, etc. ) I mean, how wierd would this show be if we are introduced to Myriam in Paris, she takes us to a shack a few miles away from the Eiffel tower, points at the floor, says "This is where I sleep, that corner is where Dad sleeps"

As a side note, I did notice that Jenny's little niece and nephew were holding what appeared to be packages of store-bought toys. It looked like Larry had brought the kids gifts from the US which was very sweet. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Why did Larry break into exaggerated broken english when he was talking with her family??   Good lord.   And 2 thumbs up for Jenny's dad.  He was so unimpressed with Larry's marriage proposal he was like Get off my Goat lawn.

That I'd an ugly American move. Speak English using the accent of thee local area. Totally stupid. I was just in Paris with  friend who thought that speaking English loudly using a PePe LePeau accent was a helpful method of communicating 

• Like 4

Corny has missed her calling.  She should give classes on Master Packing for Europe and beyond.  She stuffed a lot of clothing and shoes into 2 collegiate sized backpacks. 

I wish they would just have sex so they could both go on with their lives.  He'll boot her out of his apartment along with her 2 backpacks.  He doesn't have great command of the english language and she is still picking on him about "why did you say all that about getting married and having babies and how you loved me?"   Literal, much?  If she had a shred of brains she would just leave.  I don't even think they have any chemistry.

The wingman, however, is quite charming and hot.  Hit that.  And he speaks a helluva lot more conversational english.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Corny has missed her calling.  She should give classes on Master Packing for Europe and beyond.  She stuffed a lot of clothing and shoes into 2 collegiate sized backpacks. 

The trick is to roll your clothing.  I learned it when I was in the Navy. When I travel, friends and family are always surprised by the amount of clothing I can fit into one bag. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

...Get off my Goat lawn.

Ha!  And what was with the Paul style "I wanna f your daughter" finger gesture?  I get that these guys are totally socially inept, but it's called the ring finger.  Shouldn't be difficult to remember.

• Like 1

I'll bet Jenny has absolutely no idea what Larry is talking about if he harps on "I drained my 401K for you" and how she should be eternally grateful.  Yes, love...

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 2:43 PM, KateHearts said:

This was different from having your violent, allergic reaction to a food.

That said, I wouldn't "throw a roll" at a family member because I felt she had given me something I was intolerant to. Nor would I eat the food if I had strong suspicions it would make be very ill.

I spent three days in the hospital on IV Dilaudid while the surgeon tried to decide if he needed to remove some of my small intestine. As I explained, she insisted she made it and accused me of being rude. She is in her 70s and I didn't have any reason to doubt her other than I thought it looked like the frozen bread dough. I certainly couldn't tell for sure, by sight, that the rolls were the frozen ones and that she didn't make them.

She's quite lucky that I only threw a roll at her, vomited in her dining room, blew the lid of her Sunday "home cooked" dinners being at least, partially prepackaged, which embarassed her, and didn't sue her for my medical bills, which were paid with a loan from my 401(k). She decided I was making it up because she hadn't heard of it before, was staring and commenting on my not taking much of her food, and was feigning embarrassment because I wasn't eating it, making me feel guilty for questioning her and bite into the roll. I can live with my actions and she can live with hers. Her daughter, who visited me in the hospital to apologize to me and make sure I knew that the others didn't know she didn't make the bread, showed much more compassion and embarrassment then my great-aunt, who still insists I was making it up and somehow made myself projectile vomit and faint.

It doesn't matter how stupid an anxiety is to the rest of us, the person suffering from it is still experiencing it. I am posting the clip of the lechon scene. As you can see by his expression from the moment he laid eyes on it, he was experiencing distress over eating it. He was also rude and didn't understand what he did wrong, but the anxiety was still on his face and in his words when he realized he was expecting to eat it, tried to get everyone else to get some and stop staring at him, and then tried to take a bite, failed, and nodded his head, "Yes" to everyone, like he thought that was a "Thank You." The talking heads were filmed after, and he had no idea that this was a big deal until they unveiled it. One of Jenny's family members tells her to tell him he is supposed to be eating it, and her parents give a talking head that they were annoyed. He didn't realize he was "snubbing" the meal because he is socially clueless and didn't read the room. He only gets my sympathy for the anxiety, not anything else he is doing or will continue to do in the future. 

• Like 3

On 2017-10-13 at 7:15 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

That was hysterical.

Also, the look of absolute disgust on her face when he wouldn't eat the pig.  That's the way she feels about him about 95% of the time. 

Make no mistake. Jenny despises this man.

He's a sacrifice she needs to make. Just like her mother is making a sacrifice by not having seen her family in three years.

She sleeps on a stone floor.

Larry's a fool. And, he's her vehicle.

I'm parachuting into this discussion with only having skimmed some of the posts, so, sorry if I'm just repeating stuff.

I totally agree with CoachwristletJen. Don't know if Jenny despises Larry, but she's clearly phoning it in with him. The thing with the pork "Lechon" was ridiculous. How did Larry not understand that you don't behave this way? They tell you it's a super-special dish, expensive, labour-intensive, and prepared in your honour ... and you act like a squeamish child afraid of the cooties. Ugh, common sense, Larry ol' boy, common sense! 

On a general note, Sean drives me bonkers; Abby is a minx; Courtney is annoyingly ditzy; Antonio is a caricature of a Latin Lovah; Myriam is beautiful, but I can't figure her out; Patrick has all the moves; Jesse and Darcy are beyond human comprehension; Paul is kookoo, but kind of endearing; Karine is (amazingly) totally normal in every way; And Chris is the only man on the show who totally gets it.

"Ha!  And what was with the Paul style "I wanna f your daughter" finger gesture?  I get that these guys are totally socially inept, but it's called the ring finger.  Shouldn't be difficult to remember."

LOL, I noticed that, too. And the crazy hand-kissing and awkward hugging.

This may be the best crop of 90 Day-ers yet. Mind you, it's hard to top Anfisa and Mohammed for sheer lunacy.

Edited by deedee2
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 0:12 AM, spankydoll said:

That I'd an ugly American move. Speak English using the accent of thee local area. Totally stupid. I was just in Paris with  friend who thought that speaking English loudly using a PePe LePeau accent was a helpful method of communicating 

oh god, how mortifying.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Granny58 said:

oh god, how mortifying.  

I'm mortified by all of the typos in my entry! Wine+lack of cheaters+typing on itty bitty iPhone screen = a mess. 

On 10/8/2017 at 6:18 PM, PityFree said:

Oh Larry, Larry, Larry what was that ridiculous bowing and genuflecting to Jenny’s parents?  And then he refused to eat the food that was specially prepared for him as a huge and expensive honor? It’s just pork, Larry. 

Anthony needs to  find a way to just tell Courtney that she needs to get a hotel room.  She’s being rude to insist on sleeping on the bed and making him sleep on the couch.  Why isn’t she on the couch?  she’s ridiculous I can’t stand her.

I wanted to swoop in and grab the whole pig and eat it myself. That is the best pork he would have ever tasted. I doubt he knows where pork comes from.

Edited by varzi · Reason: Spelling

On 10/9/2017 at 6:54 AM, Chickabiddy said:

As the daughter of a French woman and the wife to a German man for 20 years, I gotta defend Europeans about the comment upthread that all Europeans are lazy?!? Sweeping generalization much? All the Europeans I have ever associated with have been well educated and hardworking. Thanks. Just had to get that off my chest. :-) 

Larry sucks. That is all. I don't care what the fueckety fuck Larry's issues are with pork or pig or pig's head; he could have been a damn sight more gracious about it. I know this has all been said, but my heart just broke when Jenny said that having a lechon was a special occasion, and that last time they had one when was she was a little kid.  Like once in 10 years?!? This came on top of knowing that Jenny has not seen her mother in three years. Can you imagine the burden that young girl feels to try to do her part to lift her family out of poverty? 

I am officially Team Jenny all the way now. Larry could have stayed in his end of the ocean and found some nice girl close to home, but no, Larry decided to go all exotic and bride shop on the other side of the world when he knows that he is the most unadventurous, untraveled, unaware of the outside world  person I have ever seen. You refuse to stay in your lane, you get what you deserve. Paul, criminal doofus that he is, managed to do some research on where he was going...maybe too much, but better than zilch, null, nada, zero. 

About the same amount of time Larry and Paul have sex.  

On 10/9/2017 at 7:49 AM, MrSmith said:

If I recall correctly, Larry is Jewish. So, no, he really couldn't have eaten any of the pig. And where do you get the bolded part from? McDonald's burgers are actually beef; highly processed beef, but they're still beef. So even if he eats at McDonald's, provided he's not having the McRib, then he's still not eating pork.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:36 AM, Kelly said:

Larry isn't Jewish.  He's just stupid.

Passariello is an Italian name. And Larry is quoted in Men’s Health as saying he and Jenny are devout Christians:

51F49099-753D-42DE-B61D-58DE0BC3A51D.jpeg

Edited by Earthangel · Reason: Typos