Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The King Over the Water

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

After a series of assassination attempts, the queen is forced to seek sanctuary far from the palace. She and Albert travel to the Scottish Highlands, an area that has always fascinated her, but proves to be far from the romantic retreat she had fantasised about. However, travelling incognito gives both the royal couple and their servants a freedom they do not often experience.

Important Note:

Please ensure you have read and understand the forum spoiler policy before posting in here.

Thanks.

Best episode of both seasons.

Albert so likable in the little cottage, almost giddy in his mood.

Drummond and Alfred both in their puffy shirts...if they had jumped in the pond like Colin Firth did in Pride and Prejudice I would have shot my TV.

Happy for them but they did not see their little spy....how will that play out for their secret?

Ernst...Ernst close but no cure for you...

Mrs. Skerret...the handsomest kilt in the glen reeling with you...but your heart is elsewhere....

Gonna call him the Hunky Highlander

Such an entertaining episode...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 17

I really enjoyed watching them on their little adventure. How, to that couple in the Croft, they were anonymous. I thought the woman giving Victoria her darning tool was so kind and wonder if Victoria and Albert had anything sent to the couple to repay them for their hospitality. Some good scotch perhaps?

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I really enjoyed watching them on their little adventure. How, to that couple in the Croft, they were anonymous. I thought the woman giving Victoria her darning tool was so kind and wonder if Victoria and Albert had anything sent to the couple to repay them for their hospitality. Some good scotch perhaps?

Some new socks. No way to darn anymore!

• Love 6

Mrs. Skerret's Scottish gentleman was HAWT. Hello, salty goodness!

This was a great episode. I did feel sorry for the Duke of Atholl, though, while Victoria and Albert were missing. Poor guy. It would be (likely literally) his head if they hadn't been found! Heh.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Some new socks. No way to darn anymore!

Good idea! Though I think she learned to like to darn (or pretend to) as it would always be a reminder of her of their temporary escape from their real lives. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

This was a great episode. I did feel sorry for the Duke of Atholl, though, while Victoria and Albert were missing. Poor guy. It would be (likely literally) his head if they hadn't been found! Heh.

I prefer Mr. Francotelli for her - and so obviously does Mrs. Skerret...

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I prefer Mr. Francotelli for her - and so obviously does Mrs. Skerret...

No way...Scottish dude was positively dreamy and had a wonderful accent.  I haven't felt the same about Francotelli since his return to the palace.  I like Skerret and think she deserves better than Francotelli.  He runs hot and cold with her.  Sometimes I think he's genuine about his feelings toward her, but other times he seems to be playing some sort of game.  I wouldn't mind if Scottish dude appeared in London to call on Skerret and give Francotelli a little competition.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Lol, I came on to find out who he is.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thought the woman giving Victoria her darning tool was so kind and wonder if Victoria and Albert had anything sent to the couple to repay them for their hospitality. Some good scotch perhaps?

I was wondering that too. Following last week's episode--even though this was Scotland-- it was poignant how that couple that had so little would still share so much. It was super realistic how Victoria would instantly take the best vacant seat without being invited (and the older man grousing about it) but be utterly charmed by the very simple way of life. As much as she loves her children, being alone with Albert much as the couple were growing old together in isolation must have been a romantic ideal.

• Love 9

Well that was a nice little filler fairytale episode.  Although the timeline was all wrong, and none of these events probably ever happened, it was nice to see Albert "I have a good sense of direction" not being such a gloomy gus.

Men in kilts!  Yes!  And happy dance tunes.  Victoria and Albert eating with their fingers and Vicky having to dry the dishes.  Good times.

I cracked up over everyone falling asleep during that epic poem.

Taking my timeline and other nitpicks to the Historical thread.

• Love 10

Skerritt’s “Highland Fling” was a hottie! ;-)

The dude reciting the poem should have been pulled “offstage” with one of those big hooks. Loved when Lord Alfred laughed and Albert applauded when the guy took a breath just to shut him up.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 13

Hubba Hubba.

Noticed the Hunk immediately when Victoria was getting out of the carriage and being greeted by the Duke... he is closest to the carriage bowing.

Daisy...write him back into the show... need to see him again...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 10

A nitpick: Ernst riding in the carriage with Lord Alfred, Drummond and Miss Coke was so off. He is a Serene Highness, a ruler of a duchy, brother in law to the Queen. I can’t see how that would ever have happened. The only reason he was there was to make the Cleopatra quip.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Could the Hunk in the Kilt be Murray Frasier?

Did he say his character's name was Ewan?

It would seem so, he is in the cast for the episode on imdb.

Edited by elle
  • Love 2

The only reason he was there was to make the Cleopatra quip.

Yeah, but it was a...really good quip.

Anyone else waiting for one of the Kilted Wonders to introduce himself as John Brown?

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 12

Mrs. Skerrits little fling with the Scottish hunk was a charming interlude, as was Victoria and Albert having the enchanted night in the cottage. What made it charming was that it wasn't meant to last  - nor could it obviously. The same goes probably for the hand-holding Harriet and Ernst.

I just learned that the actor who plays Francotelli is the son of Sir Ben Kingsley.

Did anybody see the preview for next episode?

Spoiler

I have to admit that preview upset me. I am very worried for Lehzen.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 7

Loved this episode as well. Especially after the somber one last week. Bet Victoria and Albert would have much rather joined the Scottish dances than have to sit through that tedious poem reciting. 

The dancing looked fun and yes even though the Highland guy was hot I agree with the poster that prefers Skerritt with Franketelli. I like him much better after his show of charity and compassion to Cleary last week. Besides Highland hottie looked too young for Skerritt to me.

• Love 5

That was such a fun, lovely episode, and it was a huge relief to get something romantic and sweet after all the tragedy and sadness of last week. Victoria and Albert were both so charmed by living in a little cabin with the nice old couple, it was really endearing and adorable. It was also funny to see Albert pulling the classic guy "I have an amazing sense of direction, totally!" and then getting lost. You can tell how much they enjoyed just being "normal" people and eating with their hands and doing chores and not having to follow tons of rules and procedures. It was just super lovely, especially when the Scottish lady gave Victoria something to help her darn her socks. They were just so cute having their little Scottish adventure. 

Come on Mrs. Skerret,give into that Highland Fling! Her Scottish guy was super hot, and seemed like a nice guy. Mr. Franketelli is a nice guy, but they've run so hot and cold, it kind of makes more sense for her to look for other options. Of course, long distance relations are hard enough now, let alone back then. 

Albert was apparently the Q of the early Victorian era, creating protective umbrellas and what not. What did he and Ernst say to each other when Albert and Victoria came back? Anybody know? 

Very lovely scenery as well, very Outlander. Loved it. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

What did he and Ernst say to each other when Albert and Victoria came back? Anybody know?

When they were speaking German to each other? Ernst said something roughly along the lines of  "it's good to have you back, even though you're not happy to be here". Albert replied "is it that obvious?", and Ernst put his arm around him as they walked inside and said "only to me".

• Love 5

Put a link to pictorial of episode 7 including several pictures of our Kilt Crush in the Cast thread....just following the rules...

Correction in spelling of his last name... Murray Fraser

Kilted Highlander Hunk officially ends my mourning for Lord Melbourne's departure...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I was wondering if it was her undergarment, but it probably wasn't.

Since the older couple seemed to go out directly into the barn (not that I saw it pictured with the cottage scenes) I don’t think that she offered it to Victoria. I wonder that the Queen didn’t just help herself to it like she did the chair by the warm fire. It had too much fabric to be part of her normal undergarments. 

• Love 1

Made me think of Outlander.

Same. I half expected Claire and Jamie to come up over the hill. The scenery was very familiar. 

Something strange here - Ernst approaches Harriet outside while she's alone and drawing or something and offers his condolences. But - last week she came into the room where he was playing the piano. Didn't they speak to each other then? It's like that scene never happened. Or she just watched him play the piano for awhile and then walked away without saying anything to him or him to her.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

A nitpick: Ernst riding in the carriage with Lord Alfred, Drummond and Miss Coke was so off. He is a Serene Highness, a ruler of a duchy, brother in law to the Queen. I can’t see how that would ever have happened. The only reason he was there was to make the Cleopatra quip.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Ernst insisted on riding with them, just because he knew there was prime quipping to be made there :)  

• Love 9
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The show seems to be stretching credibility a lot with Ernst. I think it's been mentioned before but why does he always seem to be around? Always on vacation with them. First France and now Scotland. Does he not have a home and duties to attend to? Yes he's nice to look at and is company to Albert but this is not very factual. How many times are they going to have Victoria say, "Ernst what a nice surprise"?

• Love 4

Yeah, at this point you would almost think Ernst lives with them at Buckingham Palace. 

Speaking of which - I wonder how much of the sets really resemble Buckingham Palace, either now or in the 1840s. It would be interesting to know what the real servant's hall looked like, and Victoria's bedroom, etc. There have been several outdoor scenes of characters lounging by a large cement pond and it makes me wonder if there's really one like it at the Palace.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Very lovely scenery as well, very Outlander. Loved it. 

I haven’t seen this series! But I usually watch a lot of the same stuff as you Tennisgurl. I love Scotland (especially the Highlands and the Grampian region) so when I get some time I think I’ll give it a try. 

• Love 3

When Victoria and Albert were snuggling in the cottage, halfway dreaming about never going back, the writer seems to have forgotten that they have children. They are written as two young livers, meanwhile, isn't there half a football team waiting for the?em back in the nursery? (I have no idea how many children they have at this point.) 

Also, everyone was pretty casual about the QUEEN OF ENGLAND who's gone missing! One would think there would have been a greater effort put forth to find her and Albert. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

A nitpick: Ernst riding in the carriage with Lord Alfred, Drummond and Miss Coke was so off. He is a Serene Highness, a ruler of a duchy, brother in law to the Queen. I can’t see how that would ever have happened.

I doubt that the Duchess would have let Ms. Coke ride alone with all those men, no matter what their rank.  It's not good for her reputation.

18 minutes ago, CousinAmy said:

Also, everyone was pretty casual about the QUEEN OF ENGLAND who's gone missing! One would think there would have been a greater effort put forth to find her and Albert. 

The moors are large and it was dark.  They probably did the best they could.  Or they were all secretly Jacobites.

• Love 4

They are written as two young livers, meanwhile, isn't there half a football team waiting for the?em back in the nursery? (I have no idea how many children they have at this point.) 

I'm sure they would have visited them! ;-)

For that matter, had Victoria never turned up again, there was the heir and the spare already born. So a Regency until Bertie came of age...

I wonder if the old couple clocked who she was early on? If they had any money, her portrait would have been on it. Or maybe they really didn't know who the couple was...until an entire regiment of soldiers approached the house. (Also noted when Victoria instantly went into Queen mode with the soldier's rude: "And who are YOU?" Bad soldier. Likely to have been scolded for that.)

And I may have missed it, but why is the Duchess blaming herself for her husband's death? That wasn't clear to me. And, if Ernst didn't have the clap, would it have been a problem for him to marry her? He needed an heir, and she'd already proven she could have children, but would he have been permitted to marry her? (I have discussed the Ernst Wikipedia rabbit hole I went down in the history thread).

Also, in terms of the cribbing from other famous British movies this series is doing, the puffy shirt kissing scene witnessed by Miss Coke put me in mind of Maurice, where Hugh Grant marries because he's supposed to, but it's implied his wife knows something of his previous relationships (or, like many an upper class gentlewoman, was aware of the friendships many boys had in school and at university.)

What does the title "The King Over the Water" refer to?  Was that a line in one of the songs?

It refers to James II living in exile (the King Over the Water) after being deposed. We can have a good long chat about it in the history thread. ;-)

Edited by kwnyc
  • Love 4

When Drummond said he felt obligated to notify the Prime Minster it struck me how difficult that would be. They don't even have the telegraph yet. Someone would have to ride all the way back to London to deliver the news and by then the Queen might have turned up. So I can see them erring on the side of caution instead of sending off alarm bells. 

And I may have missed it, but why is the Duchess blaming herself for her husband's death? 

She said the horse he was riding wasn't broken yet and he knew it. I guess she felt she should have tried harder to stop him from riding that horse.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CousinAmy said:

She was actually Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland at that time. There were a lot of soldiers looking for her.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There have been several outdoor scenes of characters lounging by a large cement pond and it makes me wonder if there's really one like it at the Palace.

There was a documentary some time ago about a year in the Queen's garden at Buckingham Palace. It's going to be shown again in March this year. 

http://www.pbs.org/show/queens-garden/#

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I haven’t seen this series! But I usually watch a lot of the same stuff as you Tennisgurl. I love Scotland (especially the Highlands and the Grampian region) so when I get some time I think I’ll give it a try. 

Great minds think alike I guess ;) But yes Outlander is really good, and if you liked the Scotland stuff in this episode, you would really like Outlander. Its violent, as a warning, but also really romantic and fun and interesting, and has lots of interesting history about the Jacobite revolution and life in the Highlands both pre and post Jacobite rebellion. Plus, lots of hot guys in kilts! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, kwnyc said:

And I may have missed it, but why is the Duchess blaming herself for her husband's death? That wasn't clear to me. And, if Ernst didn't have the clap, would it have been a problem for him to marry her? He needed an heir, and she'd already proven she could have children, but would he have been permitted to marry her? (I have discussed the Ernst Wikipedia rabbit hole I went down in the history thread).

You mean, if he wasn't already married as he is supposed to be at this point in the timeline?

Working in the hypothetical, while Harriet is well connected and wealthy, I would expect Uncle Leopold would have had a dynasty match for Ernst as he did for Albert.

Edited by elle
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

When Drummond said he felt obligated to notify the Prime Minster it struck me how difficult that would be. They don't even have the telegraph yet. Someone would have to ride all the way back to London to deliver the news and by then the Queen might have turned up. So I can see them erring on the side of caution instead of sending off alarm bells. 

Not to mention that had the PM been notified, Drummond and Lord Alfred wouldn't have been able to have the dual-meaning "What happens in Scotland, stays in Scotland" conversation.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode.  It did remind me of season 1 of The Crown when the queen mother went to Scotland while in mourning the loss of her husband, and bought a run down castle. She enjoyed her anonymity with its owner, who thought she looked familiar but couldn’t put a finger on who she was.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Driad said:

What does the title "The King Over the Water" refer to?  Was that a line in one of the songs?

the King over the Water refers to the Stuart line.  The Stuarts had taken refuge on the European continent, in France and later in Italy, and thus over the water.  Prince Charles, IIRC died in Italy years after his escape from Culloden.  I read somewhere that glasses of water were banned from State dinners when the toast to the monarch cold be secretly be construed as a toast to the Stuart line, by passing your wine or champagne glass over the water glass as the toast was given.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed this whole episode so much.  It was delightful to see Victoria put in her place by the old gent when she grabbed the chair by the fir and she actually seemed to learn something from that.  And for someone that has had everything done for her, she didn't bat an eye when she got up to help with the dishes. I only hope that there was some compensation for the crofters.

What a nightmare it must have been to search for them.  Up on the moors with no lights and bad weather, when it's dark, it's dark.  As in you cannot see your hand in front of your face.  

That hunka hunka in the kilt. Swoon....

• Love 7

I agree with everyone else who loved this episode. Just a nice little getaway.

I can see it is clear that Albert is not a fan of Lezhen but this show has never spelled out why he doesn’t like her, or have I just missed it.  

Can’t believe Mrs. Skerrit didn’t even give the hot Scot permission to write.

• Love 3