Type keyword(s) to search

Opening Credit Sequences: From The Ridiculous To The Sublime

• Start Topic

Because I just finished marathon watching the entire series, I really love the opening credits to Cagney & Lacey. Bill Conti came up with a theme whose music is so catchy and toe tapping! Well, at least for me.  This was the first season with Sharon Gless, and billed both Sharon and Tyne together; seasons 3 and going forward showed Sharon with top billing, which was something Tyne agreed to, after Sharon spoke with her about it.

• Love 1

Once in awhile Fringe would bust out some context specific opening credits.  They did an 80s flashback epsiode and the opening credits were 80s retro.  And then when the show started talking place in the alt universe the color of the opening credits changed.  The regular universe was blue but if the ep was gonna take place in the alt. universe it was red. And then when they started doing things with the timelines, those credits changed as well.

Somebody compiled the different ones here.  I also like the theme song.  So very much perfect for the show.

• Love 3

Game of Thrones and Daredevil is definitely some of my favourite opening credits too. Comparable to the evocative Daredevil is the opening credit to 2015 Agatha Christie's And Then There Where None:

However, since I love creepy things, I think my favourite opening credit must be Kingdom Hospital. The dissonance between title melody, text and imagery just add to the eerieness of it all:

On 8/22/2016 at 7:29 PM, DearEvette said:

Once in awhile Fringe would bust out some context specific opening credits.  They did an 80s flashback epsiode and the opening credits were 80s retro.  And then when the show started talking place in the alt universe the color of the opening credits changed.  The regular universe was blue but if the ep was gonna take place in the alt. universe it was red. And then when they started doing things with the timelines, those credits changed as well.

Somebody compiled the different ones here.  I also like the theme song.  So very much perfect for the show.

Oh, volumes could probably be written about the credit changes on Fringe.  Far more than the colors change.  The last season went a bit too obvious, but the others very much dare viewers to interpret the words and symbols that differ. 

• Love 1

I love the opening credits of the Australian show Offspring. The style is that of a View-Master reel, clicking sound, movement and all, and they show the classic viewer model at the end of the sequence. It's one of the older ones, with the sharp, pointed edges.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pothunter said:

I love the opening credits of the Australian show Offspring. The style is that of a View-Master reel, clicking sound, movement and all, and they show the classic viewer model at the end of the sequence. It's one of the older ones, with the sharp, pointed edges.

Thought we could use a video assist for Offspring. I've never seen the show, but do like this opening sequence.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Kromm said:

Oh, volumes could probably be written about the credit changes on Fringe.  Far more than the colors change.  The last season went a bit too obvious, but the others very much dare viewers to interpret the words and symbols that differ. 

Oh yeah, I just thought it was cool how you kinda knew which universe you were going to be watching based on the color scheme/scientific breakthroughs flashed during the credits.

Also on the TWOP boards someone actually deciphered all the glyphs they showed each episode and figured out that episode's word.  I really ate that up like a biscuit.  Added another layer to watching the show.

• Love 1

I realize the opening credits for The Leftovers (both seasons) are as devisive as the show itself, but I adore both.

First season's credit's set the melancholic/creepy tone from the start. Season 1

The second season's credits are such a 180 from the first season's that you can't believe it is from the same show. It took me a while to get into these credits, but the tune is an earworm, and I started to love the self-awareness Lindelof et al displayed with these credits.  Season 2

I have always loved FNL's credits as well

First few season's SG1 credits definitely set the mood for the show as well

I also love the aforementioned HOUSE, ER, Everwood, BSG, Braindead (although that's more the previouslies)

A couple I never cared for:

Chuck

POI

• Love 1

A couple I never cared for:

Chuck

Aw.  And I was just thinking how much I liked Chuck's opening.

I have always loved the Frasier opening with the quick draw of the Seattle skyline.  I particularly like that it changes, often in relation to the subject of the episode.  Though sometime it's just the building lights, or an object in the sky.  Kind of elegant in its simplicity, yet clever.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SnoGirl said:

I always loved ER's opening title cards. I don't know what it was about them, but I always watched as they flipped through ER's memorable moments. I always thought they were classic.

He was far from my favorite character, but Dr. Benton's little martial arts move is my favorite moment in the credits 

• Love 6

I love first season of Wonder Woman when they were in the 40s.  The opening credits were fun and the music was great.  I love the piano trills and the cheesy lyrics:

"In your satin tights, fighting your for rights and the old red, white and bluuuuuueee.......ooohh...."
"Make a hawk a dove, Stop a war with love,  Make a liar tell the truuuuuuuth...oooooth!"

• Love 5

Hello all. As a testament to my free time, obsession with television show openings, and the upcoming March Madness, I present the bracket that will definitively answer which US show of this century has the best opening: https://brackify.com/bracket/1327/Best-TV-Opening-of-the-Century

Now, a quick explainer for FAQ:

• Why brackets?
    • Because they're the best way to determine objective bests.
  • Who picked these? Why is show [X] on there?
    • I picked them all, using an objectively rigorous criteria which incorporated the opening's music/theme song, images, relation to show, cultural impact, and how much I subjectively liked it.
  • Yeah, but....show [X]??
    • A thing to keep in mind is that this is specifically about the show's openings, not the show itself. For instance, I was never able to make it through ten minutes of How to Make it in America, but that opening was great, hence it's inclusion on the bracket.
  • Ok, so why isn't the opening for show [y] on there? It was great!
    • Any absences can be explained by me either never having seen it (I made an effort to look at openings of shows I never watched, but I couldn't sample everything from the past 16 years), or my thinking that it wasn't as good as the 64 I chose.
  • But show [y]'s opening was so good!
    • Look, if you make a best show opening bracket with blackjack, and hookers, and Firefly's opening I promise I will visit it and vote.
  • How did you decide on these rankings and seedings?
    • They're ranked according to how many views the Youtube video of the opening had (i.e. I blatantly stole Rembert Browne's old Grantland brackets methodology).  In cases where the show's opening might be different from season to season I used the first season's version.
  • Ok, I'm still not sure why this exists though?
    • Me neither! Chalk it up to me finding an easy enough to use bracket creator and thinking that it'd be a fun time.  I figure that if there's anywhere on the Internet that would get some enjoyment out of it it'd be here!

Thanks/enjoy!

My favorite opening credits are the original Grey's Anatomy credits. I loved the song, I loved the way they intertwined the two halves of the show - medicine and sex. The surgical tools with the eyelash curler. The IV bag dripping into the martini glass. Zipping up the little black dress fading into surgical scrubs being tied. I wish they still showed them every once in awhile. 

• Love 1

I'm  still partial to the Black Sails opening sequence.

But, what is up with the recent trend to have bodies/objects floating in water as part of the opening sequence?  I can think of at least three shows that do this (The Returned, The Affair, Vikings) and there's probably a lot more.  Not nearly as deep as they think.

Thanks for this. As I haven't yet had a chance to see this, it was new to me, and I'm especially intrigued by the music. Some hints of irregular meter there (5-meter at times, I think). The composer, Mac Quayle, is also responsible for American Horror Story, Scream Queens, and Mr. Robot.

14 hours ago, meep.meep said:

But, what is up with the recent trend to have bodies/objects floating in water as part of the opening sequence?  I can think of at least three shows that do this (The Returned, The Affair, Vikings) and there's probably a lot more.  Not nearly as deep as they think.

Also Taboo.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Thanks for this. As I haven't yet had a chance to see this, it was new to me, and I'm especially intrigued by the music. Some hints of irregular meter there (5-meter at times, I think). The composer, Mac Quayle, is also responsible for American Horror Story, Scream Queens, and Mr. Robot.

I definitely recommend it, it's a lot of fun to see how the time period vibe is integrated in a credible way. The thread of Feud is very active and also very informative for those who like me  were not up to speed with the gossip of the day. I'd say this show is a very positive surprise, I didn't expect it to be so good. 

On 3/9/2017 at 4:08 AM, NutMeg said:

The opening sequence of Feud is my new favourite.

25 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Reminds me of Turn: Washington's Spies opening credits.

I haven't seen either of these series, but I already love both those sequences!

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
On 8/21/2016 at 2:13 PM, atomationage said:

IMO, worst opening credit sequence award goes to Misfits:

Really?!?!? I like the actual sequence, but the music is a bit much. The thing that I really like is that it hints at all of the powers of the characters. Ultimately for me, it ends up as a wash because the sequence is pretty good, the music not so much, and the net result is ok.

I thought Tyrant had beautiful opening credits. The show was terrible.

One of my least favorite has to be Masters of Sex. It was trying to evoke Norman Rockwell while being cheeky and sly with its use of double entendres, but the show was so rarely funny especially past the first season. After a certain point, it was just flawed people being awful to each other.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2017 at 5:22 PM, meep.meep said:

I'm not that impressed by the show itself (beyond gorgeous production values), but I rock out every.single.time to the opening credits.  Similar experience with season 1 Game of Thrones where I always watched the opening sequence with rapt attention, and then half-watched/multi-tasked during the show itself. 

22 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I thought Tyrant had beautiful opening credits. The show was terrible.

And another one where the opening credits are superior to the show. 

I've been loving that one. It perfectly encapsulates the premise of the show, the regular people on the fringe of superhero stories who have to deal with the fallout after the heroes have knocked down a building or two.

• Love 2

I always like the opening credits on The Dick Van Dyke Show - will Rob trip over the ottoman or not?  But it always bothered me that presumably Rob was coming from work, and Sally and Buddy were at his house to greet him (apparently faster drivers than Rob) and Rob acts like he didn't just see them at the office.

I liked the varying opens for The Bob Newhart Show.  

I also have a fondness for the first season of WKRP, when there was the changing of the radio stations before the theme song began.  "But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity."

And the theme from Sesame Street always makes me smile.  "Come and play, everything's A-OK"

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I always like the opening credits on The Dick Van Dyke Show - will Rob trip over the ottoman or not?  But it always bothered me that presumably Rob was coming from work, and Sally and Buddy were at his house to greet him (apparently faster drivers than Rob) and Rob acts like he didn't just see them at the office.

Well, let's see... First of all, I doubt that anybody drove all the way back from the city. Those who live in New Rochelle commute by train. The car is for errands closer to home, or to leave at the station. Buddy and Sally live in the city, don't they?, so they wouldn't keep a car at all. My thought is that this isn't a work day, and Rob has come back from somewhere (looking for a sufficiently skinny suit?) late on a Saturday afternoon, and Laura invited the other two up for an impromptu dinner party. We see her telling Rob "We have guests," as she gestures toward them.

Actually, I'm just being silly and having fun. Your point is well taken. And then there's the first-season credit sequence, with just photographs of everyone scattered around, to a rhumba-like bongo-filled arrangement of the theme song.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:08 PM, Calvada said:

I liked the varying opens for The Bob Newhart Show.  

I also have a fondness for the first season of WKRP, when there was the changing of the radio stations before the theme song began.  "But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity."

And the theme from Sesame Street always makes me smile.  "Come and play, everything's A-OK"

My grandmom always liked The Doctors opening sequence back then.

The Another World intelrocking rings were another favorite of hers.

Tom, who the heck are you.mp4_000174299.png

Another World - May - July 1974.mp4_000875708.png

(edited)

Actually there was another TD logo, used from 79 to 80.

Did Mel Brandt's announcement vary. The one I've heard has been "The Doctors will return in just a moment" but wasn't there another variation "And now The Doctors..." followed by the Colgate-Palmolive logo? or did the C-P logo always air no matter what? And also, when did Mel Brandt retire from The Doctors? Was it when this theme retired, or was there a period with no announcer over the theme?

The Doctors (March 19, 1979).mp4_000102168.png

Edited by danderson400

One of my all time favorites from the 90s, I love the theme song. Murder One, which I just discovered is on Hulu, so maybe I'll watch season 1 (season 2 sucked)

• Love 3