Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: eXposed

Bort

Thought it was okay but wasn't gripped by the show. The main family's plight of being chased isn't exciting enough for me, nor was I intrigued by the dad's forced position change from mutant incarcerator to mutant protector. But if it turns out he has secrets of his own related to mutant testing, is a militant or has abilities of his own, he'll become a lot more appealing to me. The kids are serviceable, though their powers are rather basic and similar (not surprising, they're related).

The tone could do with being more morlocks vibey; underground dwellers causing up top disturbance, rebels against the system. So far its lacking atmosphere and tension. Saying that, it's now vaguely reminding me of 'Mutant X'(I liked that show). But it does need an injection of thriller and pace to get things more amped up.

Anyway, I am heavily into the X-men universe and mutants, so regardless of how I initially feel will keep watching for now.

13 hours ago, blackwing said:

Nightcrawler is prominent and he is the son of Mystique and unless it has been retconned, both are mutants.   And isn't Sabretooth also supposed to be a son of Mystique?

The alternate timeline daughter of Cyclops and Jean Grey, originally called Rachel Summers, is also a mutant and for a while called herself Phoenix   Not sure if this is the same person who now goes by Rachel Grey.  

Cable is the son of Cyclops and is also a mutant. 

I'm not that familiar with Hope Summers but I think she is also an alternate child of Cyclops?

David Haller aka Legion is the son of Professor X.

I believe Sebastian Shaw's son Shinobi is also a mutant.

Oh yeah, forgot about Nightcrawler, the rest I've not heard of but still the point stands that genetically the birth of mutants seems pretty arbitrary and is mostly to perfectly normal humans. It probably doesn't help that the X Gene didn't come into play until a few decades into the comic.

Edited by immortalfrieza

Solid pilot.  Not perfect and they rushed a few things I wish where explored more (the Strucker family and, in particular, Reed's job and the irony that his kids are mutants like the ones he helps prosecute and capture), but by the end of the hour, I was invested in the story and even these characters, so that's a good start.  Certainly better then Inhumans where I found myself actually siding with the so-called "bad guy."

Amy Acker was great as always and I have a soft spot for Stephen Moyer and enjoyed him here (even if a part of me will always think of him as Vampire Bill), but I was surprised over how much I enjoyed Andy and Lauren, and, despite the fantastic setting, they both felt grounded and like real teenagers in a lot of ways, complete with bickering, yelling, and childish moments, but also loyalty and bonding moments that only really siblings could have.  Really good casting on that front.  A little annoyed that they're doing the whole separate the family thing with Reed getting shot and taken prisoner (I guess), but hopefully they won't be stuck in a "We have to find Reed!" loop for the entire season.

Mutant wise, Jamie Chung was solid as Blink and Sean Teale was decent as Eclipse, if maybe a bit dull.  Polaris was my favorite and I hope she isn't in prison for too long either (Emma Dumont was really good in that Aquarius show that aired on NBC.)

I see they managed a Stan Lee cameo in here!

So, this is set during a time where the X-Men have "disappeared."  Nice way to make sure there is no way to get any cameos, unless the actors are really generous about appearing on a Fox show.  Although I would totally like a First Class-like cameo, where someone approaches Logan/Wolverine about joining the underground and he tells them to piss off...

I did get a kick out of them having two former Gotham folks with Chung (Vicki Vale) and Natalie Alyn Lind (Silver St. Cloud) in this.

Didn't know Matt Nix was running that show, although that explains Colby Bell as the Sentinel agent.  Maybe they'll get a few more Burn Notice folks here like Jeffery Donovan or Bruce Campbell!  Actually, I saw that 

Spoiler

Garrett Dillahunt will be appearing, who had a prominent role on BN.

• Love 4

It's not nearly as good as Legion, but I liked it. That TV show is a perfect opportunity to explore how the world with mutant is, and also the theme of intolerance.

There were in fact some interesting scenes in that regard. Andy using mutie to refer to mutants. And his sister saying "it gets better". The X-Men is an allegory to minorities so I'm definitely expecting that kind of reference.

I'm interested in how they'll handle the kids and Lorna sounds really interesting too.

Anyway, good show for X-Men fans.

• Love 2
On 10/3/2017 at 11:13 AM, blackwing said:

The leader seems to be John Proudstar / Warpath (or maybe it's Thunderbird).  His powers seem direct from the comics... enhanced strength and senses.  I think the one you are calling Jesse is named Marcos, from that bio sheet we briefly saw he is from Colombia, code named Eclipse, and has some kind of solar absorption and discharge power, as well as light generation.  

Marcos is the weird one because Sunspot from Brazil who was in Days of Future Past has the same exact powers as Eclipse. Same as Blink and Warpath.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:00 PM, Last Time Lord said:

I was enjoying this well enough, but then Amy Acker's character used a pay phone in 2017. 

She was probably trying to contact The Machine.  :P

• Love 7
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Marcos is the weird one because Sunspot from Brazil who was in Days of Future Past has the same exact powers as Eclipse. Same as Blink and Warpath.

The Sunspot in the movie was messed up, in the movie his powers seemed more like those of Human Torch.  Sunspot in the comics isn't like that at all, I believe he harnesses the power of the sun to give himself super strength.   Eclipse in this show has powers that are more like Havok in the comics.  He seems to absorb solar power and then discharges it in a concentrated beam.   Seems very much like Havok's plasma beam.  When they were holed up in that building he seemed to also have some kind of power that enabled him to discharge light in a blinding flash, which is something more like what Dazzler could do.  I'd say that Eclipse's powers aren't really the same as Movie Sunspot's.  Eclipse generates heat/plasma beams, Movie Sunspot generates fire.

• Love 1

I agree with most that the plot was definitely condensed and the diversity was minimal, but overall I think it was a strong premier. The sad reality is that shows don't get the luxury of slowly unfolding anymore. People's attention spans are shorter than ever, and if they don't grip audiences fast, shows get cancelled (and Fox is notorious for quickly pulling the plug). I liked the intro we got to the Struckers as well as a handful of the mutants. If Bryan Singer continues to be a producer on this, I feel confident that it's going to continue on a good path and possibly get much better. The timeline as to when this show occurs in the X-universe is the most frustrating part of it for me. Between the movies (Old X-Men, New X-Men, Deadpool and Logan) I have no freaking clue where we are and feel like I'd need a masters in quantum physics to figure it out. But I can get past all that if the show not only makes me care about the characters, but also whatever their main mission will be this season...which is yet to be revealed. 

• Love 1

I liked it. As long as they don't get too carried away with the family drama, this could be really good. I was happy to see some familiar faces: Vampire Beel, the guy from Incorporated, Jesse from Burn Notice and of course Fred, who I like blonde because it's a different look for Amy Acker.

I really don't know anything about the comics so I don't have any preconceived notions about the characters, so no problems regarding making comparisons.

I also thought of Carrie at the beginning.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

I suspect that one of the parents might be a mutant, or maybe one of their grandparents. In most continuities, the mutant gene is genetic, and since the two kids have it, I would assume someone else in their family would. Maybe its the dad, and he takes something that suppresses it? 

I'm still drawn on who of the parents has an ability 

• Love 1

Enjoyed last week; looking forward to tonight.

But I'm so, so sad that my genre shows are now also ALL receiving the moniker "Family Drama."

Ugh.

If I wanted to watch "This is Us," I would.

• Love 2

I liked it, certainly A LOT better than "Inhumans" which was near-unwatchable. This one has promise. I've liked Amy Acker since "Angel." I'm surprised she doesn't have powers though. She's good at those types of characters.

I am probably in the minority here, but I liked the Mutant Underground more than the family stuff. The family stuff I felt I'd seen before (maybe in "Heroes"?)

On a purely superficial level, Thunderbird/Warpath guy was all kinds of hot. And Marcos/Eclipse was not so bad to look at either.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2017 at 8:45 AM, BooBear said:

I didn't love it because I have problems with the premise. I had hoped they would make me a believer but... they didn't. I just find it hard to believe Mutants would be hunted like this. Xmen is pretty clear that for the most part humans accept them. And it makes sense that if there are bad mutants you don't want to hunt down the good ones. 

I also was reminded of Mutant X  but that had a better premise for Mutants being hunted. The mutants weren't a purely natural phenomenon. Most having either been experimented on or their parents experimented on via gene therapy. So it was a smaller subset. And they were being hunted by a black ops type agency that as attempting to find out how utilize them for weapons and other nefarious means. 

I also didn't like the powers which, sorry, were mostly lame. It was like watching the JV team. 

Stephen Moyer still looks like a vampire... starting to wonder if he is one. 

I think that in today's political climate, it's very very easy for me to believe that Mutants would be hunted like this.  When "I feared for my life" becomes justification for state sponsored murder, well it's easy to see how that would give way to a society that just wipes out all Mutants "just in case".

I loved the pilot - I thought it felt a little bit like The Tomorrow People mixed with Heroes.  I loved Mutant X (does anyone know how to get/view old episodes?), but didn't really get that vibe from this except from their lair.

The family dynamic was great and I loved how the kids felt like siblings.  Though I thought Amy Acker's blonde hair looked more natural on her than it did on the daughter - who is likely a brunette in real life given her coloring.  It threw me off in every scene she's been in.

I also really liked Marcos - a LOT.  He reminded me of Jason Behr in his demeanor and I really miss Jason Behr (did you hear they are rebooting Roswell?)...  anyway... I'm very excited about this show.

I agree about the powers though - the only badass appears to be Andy and he can't control his.

Edited by phoenics

I'm a little late getting around to and catching up with this... and pulling double duty with Inhumans (I don't care what studio puts it out, if it's Marvel, I'm there)...

Even though it's been ages, it was music to my ears hearing the X-Men theme.  One of those things you'll never forget.

I'm one of those that has been waiting for Lorna to pop up on film, and it is probably better she's on TV.  She'll at least be handled well here.

I want to see where they go with the Strucker's.  Will they be in-name-only characters, or will we see an evolution to something close to the comic counterpart?  Of course, it is too early too tell.

It was an excellent, or X-Cellent (see what I did there, cringe) can't wait to continue...

• Love 2