Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E02: Gal Gadot / Sam Smith

• Start Topic

At least they avoided having Sam Smith sing on the Tom Petty song. I'd have been tearing the show a new one on social media if that had happened. If I heard Aldean singing "I Won't Back Down" that out of tune as a cover in a concert I'd probably have been miffed, but as a tribute song after Petty's death AND a huge tragedy Aldean himself was present at less than 10 days before, it's pretty much beyond criticism.

• Love 2

Sam Smith looked like a used car salesman during the first song (I didn't bother looking up for the second performance, so don't know if he changed outfits). 

WU and The Chosen Ones made me laugh the most this week. Oh and "Where's Kanye?". The OJ one was pretty good too.

It would have been nice if Gal read her lines less, but at least she wasn't breaking character every other second like Ryan Gigglin' Gosling. I am not feeling the newbies so far (although I feel like any one of them have only been on for 6 seconds so far). Looking forward to both Kumail and P!nk next week!

On 10/7/2017 at 10:26 PM, TV Anonymous said:

Why did Gadot look as if she is staring far away and just reading her lines? Her eyes did not see the person she was talking to nor did they follow the camera.

I noticed that too. I thought maybe she was reading from cue cards or a teleprompter. I remember when Christopher Walken seemed like he was doing the same thing. 

On 10/8/2017 at 0:59 AM, Galileo908 said:

Wonder Woman: "Why was a Wonder Woman sketch after Update and ohhh that's why." While I hope that this was a WW Meets Dyke & Fats sketch, it was just full of tired lesbian jokes. And then Kate got to make out with Gal Gadot and made everyone jealous. Everyone.

I couldn't help but think that entire sketch existed solely so Kate could make out with Gadot.  Can't really blame her though.

Thought the OJ sketch was the best.

• Love 1

Jost and Che and their gun control segment reminded me of just how much this type of comedy is dwarfed by a million other versions of the same commentary. There are others who are funnier, others who are more sincere, others who take bigger risks. I suppose you can say SNL is different as it has a larger platform, but when the platform is used to essentially just use alt right talking points (the only thing Che didn't say that I thought he would was "cuck") and when it comes across as so manufactured (Jost's delivery in particular - I felt like he'd studied Seth Meyers tapes right before broadcast), it just ends up feeling like someone stomping their foot to get attention. And the contrast between this and what I assume was supposed to be a touching tribute with Jason Aldean (it mostly just felt very out of place to me, although the idea was nice) just makes me feel even more that SNL has no idea what it wants to be. I also thought the "joke" about women keeping guns to fend off men was patronizing and forced.

Regarding Kate McKinnon - I do think she's funny, and has an enjoyable screen presence, but I think showing so much of her just ends up highlighting a lack of range. There's nothing wrong with that, there are plenty of people on SNL who stay within their range and are very funny - it's just once upon a time the show used to trust their ensemble cast more and not shove one person to the front to the point of doing them more harm than good. 

I didn't think Gadot was much more awkward than some other hosts. I prefer awkward to the smug and overly aware hosts. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If I heard Aldean singing "I Won't Back Down" that out of tune as a cover in a concert I'd probably have been miffed, but as a tribute song after Petty's death AND a huge tragedy Aldean himself was present at less than 10 days before, it's pretty much beyond criticism.

Whew, it wasn't just me.  I thought he was noticeably flat, and my ear isn't even all that discerning.  Like you, I tended to overlook that under the circumstances.

• Love 1

At times I wasn't paying attention, I was doing other things, so at one point I heard sounds like a cat was wailing because it got its tail caught in the door or something.  Turns out it was Sam Smith singing. 

• Love 2

I liked when the 40 million went into the tip jar.

I did, too! I don't know what it says that, in an hour and half or so of skits, that moment stood out as funny to me, but I think CS and AB really sold the reaction. I did think the CS character in that sketch came a little too close to Che's neighbor KathyAnne, but I like that character, so I let it slide.

Gadot's obvious reading of cue cards was really distracting. Didn't know producers want the hosts to read teleprompters instead of memorizing the script. Clearly, a skill that I have underappreciated before. But I was just so happy not to have a singing open that I just gave in to her charm. She's very, very charming. 

Apparently it's really hard to write original and updated material for dyke characters. We're a little past "men on film" territory, but not by much, IMHO. 

I have never cheered Che before, but I did on his WU gun control segment. 

I missed Moffat. He is such a talent. I even love his characters who aren't really that funny ("guy...boat"). 

• Love 2

Aldeen singing the Petty song Sam Smith ripped off was the best. I don't get Smith. All the songs sound the same and he has sings with that popular boy/man voice. Back it down, Sam. 

It was okay. I laughed some, but once again was reminded the best bits seem to be the ones which are pre-recorded. That's not live.

10 hours ago, Feline Goddess said:

I noticed that too. I thought maybe she was reading from cue cards or a teleprompter. I remember when Christopher Walken seemed like he was doing the same thing. 

they're always reading from cue cards, as mentioned before sketches are being written and re-written all the way up to airing. That's how you'd get Bill Hader breaking as Stefon, the jokes would be changed out before airtime, so he'd be reading them for the first time.

Edited by MrWhyt

I am glad that I DVR SNL because its so hit and miss with me.  This week, was a lot of misses.

I think Kate McKinnon is incredibly talented, but the Ruth Bader Ginsburn skit went on too long.

I just don't think Pete Davidson and his skits are all that funny.  So many times, he plays the 'young male' character who giggles at words like "comming" and uses swords as penises.  So, sorry your depressed Pete, write better skits.

WU is almost always my favorite, and I love some of the more pointed commentary.  Gun control this week was great.

I didn't care for the spy skit, WW/lesbian skit or the Naomi skit.  Gal Gadot was fine, I just didn't find any of them all that funny.  Maiden and Mice was better.

Leslie Jones was Times Square wonder woman was really good.  And she was definitely the star of Mirage, imo.

I liked Restaurant a lot too.  Just lol at OJ finding the one woman who was out of the country during the 90s.  And the plastic knife.

I don't care for Sam Smith, so that was an easy FF.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 2

I didn't think Gal Gadot was the worst, and I get that pretty much everyone uses the cue cards, but my issue with her performance was that it seemed like she was reading the script for the first time. Her timing and line readings were just not good. I wish they had done some more pre-recorded sketches with her. The OJ sketch was brilliant, the reveal was perfect. I also found the Teen with Straws sketch to be surprisingly endearing. I thought it was going to get creepy with all the "daddy" talk, so I was glad when it took the "I just want a father" turn.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I liked Restaurant a lot too.  Just lol at OJ finding the one woman who was out of the country during the 90s.  And the plastic knife.

When OJ offered his date some steak (saying it was delicious or whatever) I was surprised because I didn't think he had tasted it. Then when he revealed he couldn't actually have cut it because of the plastic knife I spent too much time thinking of ways they should have set that up differently. 

In general I had a hard time finding the sketch funny because it made me feel like the woman might actually be in danger.

1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I thought it was going to get creepy with all the "daddy" talk, so I was glad when it took the "I just want a father" turn.

That character reminded me of one that Nasim Pedrad would have done.  Melissa in general reminds me of Nasim a little bit.  With Vanessa gone this season, it seems that they are using Melissa a bit more.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Regarding Kate McKinnon - I do think she's funny, and has an enjoyable screen presence, but I think showing so much of her just ends up highlighting a lack of range.

I don't think she lacks range. She has played many different types of characters. They're not all crazy, bizarre ones like the Notorious RBG and the alien abduction lady. There was Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, Justin Bieber, and the cat lady, off the top of my head. I can't quite remember the specifics, but it seems she has played "normal" ordinary women in taped commercial parodies. 

• Love 5
On 10/8/2017 at 1:17 PM, msrachelj said:
On 10/8/2017 at 1:26 AM, TV Anonymous said:

Why did Gadot look as if she is staring far away and just reading her lines? Her eyes did not see the person she was talking to nor did they follow the camera.

it was distracting. i don't think she even bothered to remember her lines. just read everything. otherwise i really liked the show last night. 

On 10/8/2017 at 1:22 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Gal is gorgeous and sexy, but she was not at all good at this.  You cannot get into or enjoy a sketch when the main actor is so clearly reading her lines from very far away.

Remember that English is not her first language.  It's probably harder for her to memorize her lines in the short time an SNL host has to do so, especially considering how sketches are edited up to the last moment.

7 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

they're always reading from cue cards, as mentioned before sketches are being written and re-written all the way up to airing. That's how you'd get Bill Hader breaking as Stefon, the jokes would be changed out before airtime, so he'd be reading them for the first time.

Yes.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2017 at 10:26 PM, TV Anonymous said:

Reading cue cards is a skill. It is a skill Gal Godot does not possess.

(She is not alone in this.)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't think she lacks range. She has played many different types of characters. They're not all crazy, bizarre ones like the Notorious RBG and the alien abduction lady. There was Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, Justin Bieber, and the cat lady, off the top of my head. I can't quite remember the specifics, but it seems she has played "normal" ordinary women in taped commercial parodies. 

It's a variety of characters, but the performances become samey for me after a while.

• Love 1

The OJ sketch was so dark but in the best way. I haven't heard the audience react like that to a sketch since "Meet Your Second Wife."

Update was on fire again, for sure. I thought they brought a new perspective to the gun control debate (it doesn't hurt they I agreed with just about everything they said except a women keeping their guns, cuz we can be crazy too).

Nothing more to add to the "Gal reading cue cards" convo except to cosign that a ton of hosts do it, they constantly change the script right up to the live show, and at least she was enjoying herself instead of looking like NBC was holding her hostage. She's freaking Wonder Woman, I love her, and even if this wasn't the best show, I agree with others who said that her contagious enthusiasm made it watchable. With a lesser host it would have been a real dud.

The product placement on this show confounds me. The Safelight sketch in particular was bizarre. In a vacuum, I enjoyed it, but I kept getting distracted by the fact that the company paid the show to write a sketch using their product. So do companies just throw ad money at SNL and not get any say in how they are portrayed? Who would agree to something like that, wouldn't you rather just have a regular commercial where you could control the narrative? And wouldn't the show want the sketches to use the products in positive (or at least neutral) ways to hold onto the ad deal? I get the writers are probably resentful that they have to do this so I get how these sorts of things can happen in their hands, but I just don't understand the point of the show doing this form of advertising.

On 10/9/2017 at 4:50 PM, Peace 47 said:

That character reminded me of one that Nasim Pedrad would have done.  Melissa in general reminds me of Nasim a little bit.  With Vanessa gone this season, it seems that they are using Melissa a bit more.

That wasn't Melissa, it was Heidi.

I thought she was excellent in the sketch ("You're just jealous cuz I've got all these straws and you don't know what I use them for") and a great showcase for Heidi. Though clearly she was supposed to be an expy of the "Cash me Ousside" girl.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

The product placement on this show confounds me. The Safelight sketch in particular was bizarre. In a vacuum, I enjoyed it, but I kept getting distracted by the fact that the company paid the show to write a sketch using their product. So do companies just throw ad money at SNL and not get any say in how they are portrayed? Who would agree to something like that, wouldn't you rather just have a regular commercial where you could control the narrative? And wouldn't the show want the sketches to use the products in positive (or at least neutral) ways to hold onto the ad deal? I get the writers are probably resentful that they have to do this so I get how these sorts of things can happen in their hands, but I just don't understand the point of the show doing this form of advertising.

How do you know that? 

On 10/9/2017 at 9:02 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Quite possibly, but I bet it would be easier for her in Hebrew.

I think Penelope Cruz, for the most part, is a better actress in Spanish. However, Gal was great in WW, so I don't know if the comparison applies here.

The only thing that was truly destructive about Gal's cue-card fixation was the part in the OJ sketch where she had to deliver a line about how great it was to "really get to know someone face to face," or whatever the line was. "It's really great to know someone face to face," she said, looking at the wall.

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think Penelope Cruz, for the most part, is a better actress in Spanish. However, Gal was great in WW, so I don't know if the comparison applies here.

Was GG reading cue cards in WW?  ;-)

35 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

The only thing that was truly destructive about Gal's cue-card fixation was the part in the OJ sketch where she had to deliver a line about how great it was to "really get to know someone face to face," or whatever the line was. "It's really great to know someone face to face," she said, looking at the wall.

That is pretty funny.  I tend to listen more than watch so I think I missed this nuance.

BPD is not really a form of depression, I don't think, though depression can be a symptom of it. It is a complex disorder, Pete has a lot to learn, which is natural. (I spent several yrs getting treatment in a program for personality disorders, though BPD was not my diagnosis.)

On 10/11/2017 at 5:57 PM, helenamonster said:

http://mashable.com/2016/04/26/snl-less-commercials-more-branded-content/#GRXUKnjO2uqI

The Safelite bit was especially glaring, as it used stock footage from actual Safelite commercials. No way did SNL film that themselves, it was provided to them by Safelite.

Then I can't believe that any but the edgiest company would choose to participate. Although, I wonder if any people with broken car windows this week said, " Now, what was the name of the company in that skit on SNL? I don't have a teenage daughter with me and they are quick, so let's give it a try. Ok Google, look up SNL broken windshield."

I just tried that voice search and it returned Safelite articles. This one quotes them saying they were not involved with creating it, which still sounds likely to me, even if SNL does do sponsored skits:   http://mashable.com/2017/10/09/snl-safelite-sketch/#CI8RFLsq4Sqy

Your source was also Mashable.

SNL could have copied the stock footage off the internet and used it without permission since they have a fair use defense to copyright infringement charges. There's no way Safelite could seriously argue that SNL did not create a parody.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Watching the repeat. Just so I'm clear, the "Last Fry" white dude rap wasn't in the original broadcast, was it?

I just came to comment on that. I thought it was new. I only watched thru update last night, apparently it replaced the Safelite ad from the first airing.  

18 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I just came to comment on that. I thought it was new. I only watched thru update last night, apparently it replaced the Safelite ad from the first airing.  

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/27/snl-removed-access-safelight-sketch/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_facebook_entertainmentweekly

It did.  I guess more people didn't find it funny either. 

• Love 1
On 11/26/2017 at 3:21 PM, Fostersmom said:
On 11/25/2017 at 9:40 PM, Lantern7 said:

Watching the repeat. Just so I'm clear, the "Last Fry" white dude rap wasn't in the original broadcast, was it?

Yeah it was later uploaded as a "Cut for Time" video on YouTube. I was surprised to see it in a rerun.