Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

Carly resented any woman Jason and Sonny liked/loved. She pretty much still does, though I think at this point she's resigned to the places people like Sam and Elizabeth have in Jason's life. I'd be curious to see how they'd write Carly if Jason fell in love with someone new. Too bad it will never happen, since apparently Jason and Sam are written in the stars, and I couldn't be more bored with them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

And it's even more striking when you remember how Claire Labine created the Wards in 1993, and even she didn't get that far.

Then again, this show DID have Tom and Simone, an interracial couple. That's pretty damn big. 

And there was also Jason and Keesha, not that J&R fans like me bringing THAT up. ;)

Can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't mind. Both Jason and Robin had loves BEFORE the show decided to finally get them together. But of course, that was Jason Quartermaine.  Jason fecking Morgan (and I don't mean that as a compliment) was only ever human and had more than one emotion with Robin. SheBeast can thump on her beastly chest all she wants about him being her BESTESTESTEST FWIEND EVAH, when we all know she just wants him back to "LOVE" her like he did Robin, and to a lesser extent, Sam. I don't begrudge that asshole finding Sam later. SWSNBN was an INSULT and just another tool and plot to Fuck AJ over. And even after  Jason dumped Robin like yesterday's trash, he was still protective of her. Like, was it Faison who asked about her and he told him: "You stay away from Robin."

Only with Robin did I see Jason Morgan show humor,  love and some FUGLYASS FUGLY TEARS/CRYING when they broke up the first time and she went to Paris/Sorbonne. I have never seen him convey/express multiple emotions with anyone else. Ever.

That said, I don't begrudge him loving anyone else after Robin. Except for Mooby's sister, that is.

I'm very hypocritical and petty that way.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, Bringonthedrama said:

Of course she decided that Robin walked away from Jason all because of her. 

Carly was always written back-and-forth on this. Writers would either have her take credit for the breakup or she'd cry, "How could you betray Jason, Robin!?"

I don't care who brings up any of Jason's past love interests. They're all just....there and happened. And a lot of shit that happened between him and others were rip offs of things he did with Robin. 

Edited by HeatLifer
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

SheBeast can thump on her beastly chest all she wants about him being her BESTESTESTEST FWIEND EVAH, when we all know she just wants him back to "LOVE" her like he did Robin, and to a lesser extent, Sam.

Only with Robin did I see Jason Morgan show humor,  love and some FUGLYASS FUGLY TEARS/CRYING when they broke up the first time and she went to Paris/Sorbonne. I have never seen him convey/express multiple emotions with anyone else. Ever.

A) I think somewhere in the years that LW has been playing Carly, she has played acceptance that Jason will never be in love with her. I think she also told Michael that. 

B) Yes, he's expressed multiple emotions with Robin, and I saw some with Elizabeth too -after Jake was born.  The irony is he was more interested in Jake as a baby/toddler who had Daddy Lucky, than he is now when he's the acknowledged biological father and can see the boy anytime.

I think Carly accepts that Jason won't be in love with her as long as she can be the most important person in his life.  And she is, more important than Sam or his sons. The only person who is a possible rival for Jason's affection is Michael.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And there was also Jason and Keesha, not that J&R fans like me bringing THAT up. ;)

I adored those two together. I haven't liked Jason with anyone since and I've never forgiven him for how horrible and cruel he was to her after his accident.

And while I might have liked Robin and Jason QUARTERMAINE, I never liked Robin and Jason MORGAN. His horrible treatment of Keesha aside, I found them incredibly dull and sanctimonious.

• Love 2
On 7/15/2018 at 1:00 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

After Robin left, Carly also got in Elizabeth's face for being close to Jason; she just wasn't as horribly nasty. I still remember she was furious that Jason was hiding out with Elizabeth to recover from a gunshot wound, after Jason saw that Sonny and Carly had just had hate sex. Carly stopped Elizabeth on the docks and said something like "I already got rid of one angel."  Of course she decided that Robin walked away from Jason all because of her. 

I always hated the Carly/Elizabeth rivalry. It was just so utterly contrived and overdone and completely unnecessary. It's like the writers just decided that Carly had to be clashing with another female and since Robin had left, they just randomly picked someone.

And she was pretty awful to Elizabeth too--like suggesting that she never really loved Lucky (who was presumed dead at the time), otherwise she wouldn't be after Jason. 

Carly just really had a sick compulsion to be as cruel and nasty as possible to people who didn't deserve it.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Camille said:

I always hated the Carly/Elizabeth rivalry. It was just so utterly contrived and overdone and completely unnecessary. It's like the writers just decided that Carly had to be clashing with another female and since Robin had left, they just randomly picked someone.

It wasn't actually random. I remember that Carly's hatred/jealousy of Elizabeth started because she looked through the window of Kelly's and saw Elizabeth and Jason dancing (he was trying to help ease her pain after Lucky was declared dead in the fire). Carly ran to Sonny and demanded to know if anything was going on between Jason and Elizabeth; Sonny tormented her and so they had hate sex because Carly wanted to get back at Jason for caring about Elizabeth. I think Jason got shot in an assignment from Sonny gone wrong, at about the same time Sonny and Carly were going at it later that day/night. Jason, injured, went to see Sonny and saw that they'd just had sex, so he took off and Elizabeth found him passed out in the snow. She got him back to her studio and took care of him. He told her he didn't want to see Sonny or Carly. So Carly of course got furious that Jason was shutting her out but leaning on Elizabeth. She reacted by getting in Elizabeth's face on the docks. From that moment on, she deeply resented Jason having a friendship mixed with attraction with Elizabeth. As with Robin, Jason was both physically attracted to Elizabeth and saw qualities in her that Carly knew she lacked. Additionally, Jason and Elizabeth had the bond that they both loved Emily. Back then, SBu didn't play Jason as such a limited character. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

It wasn't actually random.

It’s not that it was so much random, obviously a story was developed, but it was clear that after Kimberly McCullough left, and subsequently JJ, that the show designated Liz as the “Robin” role for both Jason and Carly. Liz also began interacting with Sonny in a very similar way. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

t wasn't actually random. I remember that Carly's hatred/jealousy of Elizabeth started because she looked through the window of Kelly's and saw Elizabeth and Jason dancing (he was trying to help ease her pain after Lucky was declared dead in the fire). Carly ran to Sonny and demanded to know if anything was going on between Jason and Elizabeth; Sonny tormented her and so they had hate sex because Carly wanted to get back at Jason for caring about Elizabeth. I think Jason got shot in an assignment from Sonny gone wrong, at about the same time Sonny and Carly were going at it later that day/night. Jason, injured, went to see Sonny and saw that they'd just had sex, so he took off and Elizabeth found him passed out in the snow. She got him back to her studio and took care of him. He told her he didn't want to see Sonny or Carly. So Carly of course got furious that Jason was shutting her out but leaning on Elizabeth. She reacted by getting in Elizabeth's face on the docks. From that moment on, she deeply resented Jason having a friendship mixed with attraction with Elizabeth. As with Robin, Jason was both physically attracted to Elizabeth and saw qualities in her that Carly knew she lacked. Additionally, Jason and Elizabeth had the bond that they both loved Emily. Back then, SBu didn't play Jason as such a limited character. 

Yes, I remember all of that. I still feel that it came out of nowhere--literally one episode, the two of them have zero interaction, and in the next, they're at each other's throats as if they've hated each other for years. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

It’s not that it was so much random, obviously a story was developed, but it was clear that after Kimberly McCullough left, and subsequently JJ, that the show designated Liz as the “Robin” role for both Jason and Carly. Liz also began interacting with Sonny in a very similar way. 

Oh my god, how those scenes between Sonny and Liz were utterly ridiculous. Sonny felt bad that Liz lost Lucky in the fire, but they were not friends before that. And to have Liz show up at Sonny's, thinking that their "friendship" was so important. After Liz divorced Ric, I cannot recall any scenes between them.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Camille said:

Yes, I remember all of that. I still feel that it came out of nowhere--literally one episode, the two of them have zero interaction, and in the next, they're at each other's throats as if they've hated each other for years. 

But that's how it is with Carly: she sees a woman interacting with Jason for more than two seconds and they're her enemy for life.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, nilyank said:

Oh my god, how those scenes between Sonny and Liz were utterly ridiculous. Sonny felt bad that Liz lost Lucky in the fire, but they were not friends before that. And to have Liz show up at Sonny's, thinking that their "friendship" was so important. After Liz divorced Ric, I cannot recall any scenes between them.

Resulting in even more paranoid psychotic irrational bitchiness from Carly when she accused the barely legal Elizabeth of being after the 30-something year old Sonny.

1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

But that's how it is with Carly: she sees a woman interacting with Jason for more than two seconds and they're her enemy for life.

Like how she demanded to know "Who was that slut you (Jason) were with last night?", referring to Hannah, when the woman didn't even know about Jason and Carly.

Jeez, what a bitch.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 2:00 AM, Camille said:

Well...Liz did half-hate Carly. Prior to that point, Carly had been fairly solicitous toward Liz in their limited interactions. But Liz was Emily's best friend, and Emily thought Carly was a user and a pus-filled growth on her favorite brother, and the source of nothing but conflict and bad feeling within her family. Liz had been hearing Emily's anti-Carly screeds for a long time, and of course she took Emily's side. 

I remember a scene when Carly ducked into Emily's room and Liz was there, and Carly expressed condolences on Lucky's "death," and Liz accepted them very much by rote. Then when Carly withdrew and got out of earshot, Liz and Emily kind of played it like, "Oh, how sweet. Butter wouldn't melt in the bitch's mouth."  

So, on that background of that mild antipathy, Liz wasn't completely a non-aggressor when they came face to face after Jason's shooting. She was quick with the attitude, which fanned the flames. And then of course it got worse and worse every time they saw each other.   

On 7/18/2018 at 3:11 AM, nilyank said:

Oh my god, how those scenes between Sonny and Liz were utterly ridiculous. Sonny felt bad that Liz lost Lucky in the fire, but they were not friends before that. And to have Liz show up at Sonny's, thinking that their "friendship" was so important.

This is a a controversial topic that has come up in this thread before, but it was rumored around that time that they were going to do a sibling revelation with Sonny/Liz. The creative team was in flux, and it was said one of the writers (maybe Val Jean) was pushing for it. They were definitely putting Sonny and Liz together a lot, whether it was advancing a story that got dropped or just because some young female had to fill the Robin void.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1

I remember Gia being a candidate as a sister for Sonny (playing up the Taggart/Sonny rivalry at the time, as well), but never Liz. Then neither Liz nor Gia had that "honor" and here came Courtney.

• Love 2

I'd never heard of Gia as a sister candidate until the last time we talked about this here. But the Liz rumor was all over SoapZone and the AOL boards back at turn of the millennium, hotly debated, The Liz fans were all for it (either because they actually liked Ol' Greasy or because they knew Liz would get more air time). The Carly fans hated the idea (although, hey, it was one more woman he would never have an affair with/impregnate).  

As you mention, Sonny got his sister anyway.  As much as I came to loathe her, I'm glad in retrospect that they created a character for the purpose, rather than Corinthizing one who was already there.  And then she lifted right out.  

• Love 1

The seeds of Gia being Sonny's sister were simple at first. Sonny and Taggert hated each other. Their history was tied together by being from the same neighborhood and Deke. When Taggert and Gia's mom came to Port Charles, she ran into Mike and we found out that they knew each other. It was wasted opportunity that would have been entertaining.

instead we got Courtney. Bland and boring.

Ric despite being a crazy, kidnapper, is still my favorite of Sonny's siblings.

• Love 6
(edited)

Guza wrote Gia as Sonny's sister into the 2003 Fan February episode. It was like the story he wanted to do but didn't end up doing cause McTavish and JFP created Courtney, and so he incorporated it into that. Basically Taggert had known all along about Gia both their half sister, since Brooklyn, apparently. Sonny was like, you knew but came after me anyway?

There was a scene with Taggert and Gia's mom, Florence, approaching Sonny pointing out he was Deke's son. Sonny shook his head no, and she pointed out that he looked just like Adele and remembers seeing Sonny's picture on the mantel. There was another scene around this same time of Gia brought up to Carly that her (Gia) and Carly's husband (Sonny) knew some of the same people, and mentioned Deke being a mentor to her brother. Carly nixed that conversation in the bud for obvious reasons and said it wasn't a good memory. Remember Taggert and Sonny originally hated each other and ended up on two different sides of the law growing up because of their different expierences with Deke growing up.

Gia being caught between Taggert and Sonny would have also thematically connected her in a way with Nikolas, because she would've been caught between two sides of a family that hate each other just like Nikolas was with the Spencers (cause of Laura) and Cassadines. In the Fan February episode, it was even mentioned when Sonny brought up he must be going to hell to have Taggert as a step brother, which Luke responded he understood cause what happened to him was worse -- his wife spawned a Cassadine.

Edited by sppa125
  • Love 3

What was the stand alone episode about a speakeasy in Port Charles during the 20's? I've heard about it, but when was it and who was in it? I know Alexis was a Carrie Nation-type prohibition-supporting character. 

(edited)

The Port Charles speakeasy was something else. That was a special New Year's Eve episode on the last day of 2002, with Gloria Stuart of Titanic cast as an old mob widow telling tales of her colorful past to Carly and Ric. Then we got flashbacks in which various GH actors played the characters of 1926. It was mainly the love story of "Marco" (Maurice Benard) and "Catherine" (Tamara Braun, the younger version of Gloria Stuart), and the other couple focused on was Joe (Steve Burton) and Violet (Alicia Leigh Willis). Then other GH actors had cameos, including, as you remember, Nancy Lee Grahn as an uptight temperance advocate. I think Kin Shriner was a corrupt mayor, and Billy Warlock was an AJ-like '20s character. Some images from this episode (gangster gunplay) may have been in the opening montage for a while. 

Stuart stuck around briefly as Faith's grandmother, whom Faith ultimately murdered.  

The one they're discussing above came the following February (2003).  Sonny had been shot (shocker!) and he dreamed about going to heaven, where Luke was the gatekeeper. Sonny had to enact various scenarios that fans allegedly wanted to see, like learning that Kristina was his daughter (that was under wraps at the time) and role-reversing with Jason, where Jason was the big boss and Sonny was the loyal enforcer. Every scenario would end with Sonny "failing" because he is what he is, and the end point was that he wasn't ready to go to heaven. Again, shocker! Here's a transcript.  

http://www.sonnyandmike.com/sonnycorinthosfanfantasy22603.htm 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1

There was also a subplot of AJ having custody of Michael. I wonder if Guza wanted to go in that direction before McTavish decided on meat hook, but given his tendency to have AJ lose and Sonny/Jason win, I think Sonny still would've ended up with the kid anyway.

Interesting trivia: The meat hook story was originally scheduled for the week of 9/11. As bad as it was, don't we wish that were the worst thing we saw on television that week? But the only episode that aired that week, with four weekdays of news preemptions, was on Monday, September 10. In that episode, friends and family gathered to say goodbye to Chloe, who had been murdered (by Stavros, though everyone except Alexis believed Stefan had done it). Gangster Sorel's funeral was taking place in an adjacent parlor, and Carly and Angel got in a catfight by his casket. The rest of the episode involved Stavros stalking Laura. Lucky was trying to tell Laura that "he" wanted her and was coming for her, but when she tried to find out who "he" was, he would only ramble about "the monster."  

Normal programming resumed on Monday, September 17, and McTavish's meat hook story shortly followed.  

It's weird how memory plays tricks. I had misremembered the meat hook as earlier in the year, like May or June.  

16 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

And then she lifted right out.  

She really did. It's a reminder that badly integrated characters wasn't limited to the past two writing regimes.

15 hours ago, nilyank said:

Ric despite being a crazy, kidnapper, is still my favorite of Sonny's siblings.

Ditto, not that the competition is fierce. Rick Hearst was a stronger actor that ALW, which helps. And he hated Jason, so that will always give him the edge, heh.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, sppa125 said:

There was also a subplot of AJ having custody of Michael. I wonder if Guza wanted to go in that direction before McTavish decided on meat hook, but given his tendency to have AJ lose and Sonny/Jason win, I think Sonny still would've ended up with the kid anyway.

I think McTavish longer term plan was the CAJey love story, to have AJ try and trade Courtney for Michael, so I don't believe AJ being completely out of Michael's life was endgame for McTavish. I am not able to catch many AJ/Courtney clips on YouTube, except until stupid Jason came back on the scene, but Courtney was much better off being AJ's wife than Jason's love interest. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1

I read McTavish had also planned to bring on a half-brother of Nikolas's from his Cassadine side, who was to turn out to be Sarah's husband and been a love interest for Liz, but it got dropped once Guza returned. He didn't want to go in that direction. Ironically, the character was to be named Aiden.

8 hours ago, sppa125 said:

I read McTavish had also planned to bring on a half-brother of Nikolas's from his Cassadine side, who was to turn out to be Sarah's husband and been a love interest for Liz, but it got dropped once Guza returned. He didn't want to go in that direction.

Good, as that has way too many connections for me.

• Love 1

The fact that Gloria Monty was the one who hired Steve Burton is still weird to me and it should be weird to you, too. Yes, this is his first scene from December of 1991, only a month or so before ABC got fed up with her bullshit and fired her. I know hiring Steve Burton isn't part of the reason that happened, but in retrospect I like to pretend that it was.

• Love 2

Monty picked Burton because on the finalists, he was the closest in height to Gerald Hopkins. Steve told this story before how Mark had him go in the bathroom to stuff his shoes to seem taller, and it got him the job because she was too busy to read the finalists.

2 hours ago, sppa125 said:

Monty picked Burton because on the finalists, he was the closest in height to Gerald Hopkins. Steve told this story before how Mark had him go in the bathroom to stuff his shoes to seem taller, and it got him the job because she was too busy to read the finalists.

Oh I remember that story, I was just ragging on Steve because it's fun. ;)

(Also, because as I've said before, I've never found him hot. He's a human pencil/Cigar Store Indian to me.) 

I wasn't watching in 1991 but looking at t hose scenes, I'm shocked at how badly everyone treated AJ. I know the writing played it for laughs but it's not funny.  It makes me wish he had burned the mansion down.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I wasn't watching in 1991 but looking at t hose scenes, I'm shocked at how badly everyone treated AJ. I know the writing played it for laughs but it's not funny.  It makes me wish he had burned the mansion down.

I am not. Because they always wrote adult AJ like a screwup. Even if he was able to get a little bit of success, they would eventually have make a huge mistake that would embarrass him and the family. It didn't start with Guza.

Those scenes also illustrated how much the Qs also treated Jason like the golden son that could do no wrong.

They was always the dynamic that was created when they sorased the boys.

• Love 3

But AJ wasn't a screw-up in that clip.  He was agreeing with his parents and they both told him to "Shut up".  Then they fell all over Jason returning, and when Jason over-reacted and punched AJ, Edward praised him for hurting AJ. It comes across as emotionally abusive to me.

4 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Those scenes also illustrated how much the Qs also treated Jason like the golden son that could do no wrong.

Which transferred to how the show treats SBu.  (I personally think they should fire him for not even trying to do his scenes but they reward him instead by tanking Sam/Drew so Jason can get the girl.)

• Love 3
(edited)

Duke explains the concept of death, grief, and loss to Robin after the passing of Tony's wife Tania in 1987. Little did she know how many important people she would lose (or thought she had lost) in the years after this--including B.J., who she expresses worry about, because she was a baby left without her mom. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I wasn't watching in 1991 but looking at t hose scenes, I'm shocked at how badly everyone treated AJ. I know the writing played it for laughs but it's not funny.  It

I always hated it too. It's downright emotionally abusive, especially since he was always struggling to better himself, only to have everyone belittle or denounce him. It was particularly bad in 1995. Ned was one of the better Quartermaines, but I hated the way he relentlessly bullied him.

I remember after Nikki left him at the altar and Jason showed up at Karen's place almost in tears at how yet another crappy thing had happened to his brother.

This is not to say he didn't have his jerkass moments--I hated the way he treated Karen and Jagger, even if the root of that was him sticking up for Jason.

And it actually WAS funny in one scene where he was being an annoying jerk and everyone was telling him to shut up, to the point where even LILA said, "Oh, AJ, shut up!" In her perfectly prim and proper way, of course.

• Love 3

This scene cracks me up:

Sonny: I'm your father! You like me!

Dante: Maybe?

Sonny: I know! I'll call your mom a ho! That'll make you like me, right?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

You know, it always bothered me that the show had a real opportunity to create an old school adventure story with Alcazar and the Scorpios and completely blew it. It was rights there - kidnappings, adventure, young lovers on the run (Scrubs), a chance at redemption for a father - and it was just dropped within a couple of days. Robert was beat up, Skye made a phone call home and Alcazar found her.

Fast forward three months later she's begging Patrick to save Alcazar's life while Robin lies dying on the floor of the Metro Court. How much more tension would have been in those scenes if he reminded her of the danger Alcazar put Robin in just a few months earlier? If Alcazar had followed through on his threats and Patrick had to work with Robert to find Robin and bring her home?

It's the same with a possible Nikolas/Robin/Patrick triangle - the pieces were there, they just never bothered to put them together and it could have been great.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

Why couldn't that Dante have stuck around? 

It was a Samson-like scenario. All his superpowers came from his bangs.  

Edited: Wow, I'd almost forgotten that scene. Great stuff. Missing DZ more now. But if he were back, he'd be with stupid Recast Lulu the Girl Reporter, doing nothing. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3

Oh look, it's the dollar store version of the wire scene, this time with Hannah. For someone who so often dismissed Labine's writing, Guza certainly loved to copy her a lot.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, UYI said:

Oh look, it's the dollar store version of the wire scene, this time with Hannah. For someone who so often dismissed Labine's writing, Guza certainly loved to copy her a lot.

Appropriate, given that Hannah was clearly a dime store version of Brenda (and Lily too, for that matter).

Amazing. The casting department clearly put out a call for a "dark-haired, dark-eyed woman", but I'm sure they never imagined someone who resembled the two of them so closely that she looked like the result of them having a child.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Camille said:

Amazing. The casting department clearly put out a call for a "dark-haired, dark-eyed woman", but I'm sure they never imagined someone who resembled the two of them so closely that she looked like the result of them having a child.

Actually, they may have. Hannah was just one of a string of nearly identical small, brown-eyed brunettes the show cycled through: Brenda, Lily, Hannah, Reese, Claire, Sam, Margaux....

• Love 4

Angel, sort of...

Hannah was really hated everywhere I was reading in those days. She received an aggressive advertising push and was airing a lot from the start, as if Show really were banking on her and Sonny as a new supercouple. That plus Vultaggio's amateurishness doomed the character. People like to at least imagine that they're liking someone because it's their idea, not because It Was Decreed. The Poochie phenomenon.  

• Love 2

@Asp Burger to bring some of the conversation from the other thread here, 2008 was indeed mostly terrible, which was was the worst of the Carly Jr writing for Lulu (yet at the same time trying to make her into some mini-Laura: "She's tough and she's strong just like Carly! When she's not having a nervous breakdown because she's so fragile like her super fragile mom Laura!") and . . . other stuff that I have no idea what was really going on but I know that it was crap until Laura came back. Lots and lots of Spinelli I presume which was part of the reason I was not watching a lot those two years. But I think late 2005 to Metro Court Crisis (which I didn't really watch but lots of people say that was decent so I'll use that as a cut off date) was decent and much better than anything Cartini has put out and I also liked a lot of 2009-10. I also thought Laura's second visit in 2008 was a bright spot in a crappy year.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ulkis said:

@Asp Burger to bring some of the conversation from the other thread here, 2008 was indeed mostly terrible, which was was the worst of the Carly Jr writing for Lulu (yet at the same time trying to make her into some mini-Laura: "She's tough and she's strong just like Carly! When she's not having a nervous breakdown because she's so fragile like her super fragile mom Laura!") and . . . other stuff that I have no idea what was really going on but I know that it was crap until Laura came back. Lots and lots of Spinelli I presume which was part of the reason I was not watching a lot those two years. But I think late 2005 to Metro Court Crisis (which I didn't really watch but lots of people say that was decent so I'll use that as a cut off date) was decent and much better than anything Cartini has put out and I also liked a lot of 2009-10. I also thought Laura's second visit in 2008 was a bright spot in a crappy year.

I am sure I took a break for some of 2008-early 2009, because I remember getting back into it at the time Dante was introduced. But the specific weeks in August that were summarized sounded familiar.     

The thing is, when I look at summaries from the Guza years, it's hard for me to remember which parts I saw and which I didn't. It's always about someone new moving in on Sonny's territory, and Jason wants to do this and Sonny wants to do that. Someone is either shooting at them or their women/kids or taking hostages, and it usually all comes to a head in a disaster in a public place. The names and faces change, but if you saw about a year of him, you got all of his tricks. And that time around, we saw nine.  

• Love 2