Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Hyperion Heights

• Start Topic

Rogers remembered a woman he had never seen before, yet Henry couldn't the connect the dots. Rogers barely knew Emma, but this was Henry's True Love and his daughter. 

Can someone explain the scene to me where Henry looks for his dead wife's cemetary and it's not there? I don't remember why that was or what the significance was.

It just occurred to me that A&E were ripping off Sleepless in Seattle with a kid trying to pair a widower and a young woman.

Rogers remembered a woman he had never seen before, yet Henry couldn't the connect the dots. Rogers barely knew Emma, but this was Henry's True Love and his daughter. 

Can someone explain the scene to me where Henry looks for his dead wife's cemetary and it's not there? I don't remember why that was or what the significance was.

It just occurred to me that A&E were ripping off Sleepless in Seattle with a kid trying to pair a widower and a young woman.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Even if Henry doesn't have any lurking subconscious memories like Rogers has, he wrote a book that had a young, handsome Captain Hook in it. This book would have been top of mind when he went to report his stolen car, since Lucy had been talking to him about it. Then he meets a guy named Rogers (as in "Jolly") who's missing a hand and has a prosthetic. Even if he doesn't have a vivid mental image of his version of Captain Hook that matches the guy he's just met, wouldn't meeting a one-handed guy named Rogers with a British accent (in Seattle!) when you've written a book that's in part about Captain Hook make you at least blink in surprise or amusement? Just knowing the kind of description that would be in a book without having a clear sense of his exact face, it would be even more surprising that the guy named Rogers with a fake hand is also slim, dark-haired, has a heavy scruff/light beard, blue eyes, and a British accent. Knowing the way cops are, I'm surprised they haven't made that connection, even without having any hidden memories about Hook. If there's a British guy with a fake hand on a police force, he's probably going to be called Captain Hook, especially if his name is Rogers. Other cops would drape his locker or desk with pirate flags.

I think it was meant to show how fake his cursed memories were. Obviously there couldn't be real graves because his wife and child were never dead, so when he went to the cemetery, there was nothing there, and thus proof that Lucy was right. But that's where we get back to what the nature of the curse is. Did it slot the cursed people into an existing neighborhood, or did it create infrastructure? In Curse 1, which created Storybrooke, it would have created the cemetery with the tombstones to match the curse memories, but if this curse was just a transport curse, it couldn't have created things to match the memories.

Though, from what I understand about the Seattle real estate market, I wonder where the curse found that many empty apartments and businesses to fill with cursed people.

• Love 1

It was supposed to provide for a possibility that Henry might question his own memories, except he was such a blockhead he never worried about his sanity after "forgetting" where the cemetery was.

• Love 2

I can't believe I'm embarking on Season 7 again.  I watched this one with my visiting friend, and she is interested in what happens next.  She liked the actor who played Henry.  She did have a very negative reaction to Murderella punching Henry to steal his motorcycle, though.  She said she thinks they should have just rebooted the show completely without the holdover characters.  I can't say my feelings about this episode changed at all.  Zzzzzz.....

• Love 2
(edited)
On 9/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, KingOfHearts said:

On this re-watch, that scene really stood out to me

Spoiler

knowing it goes nowhere.  Just remembering that Henry never pursues anything and is so boring and clueless for an entire frickin' season is making me dread rewatching the rest of it.

After hearing my friend's thoughts, I guess I can concede that there was some potential in this new setup, if you could stomach the new cast.  I actually found myself wondering what would Henry do next, with that weird missing cemetery.

Spoiler

and of course, it's the usual problem, of setting things up but never following through with it.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2